BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-01-10 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3949904

User image

NOVA
Subject: RE: bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session)
Erica - I'm so sorry to hear about your accident.  Glad you are okay though.  If that area is prone to accidents I would definitely try to fight it.  If nothing else, it might bring more awareness to the area and maybe someone do something about it.

2012-01-10 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

Erica-So sorry to hear about your accident, I'm so glad you're OK!!

Justin-Congrats on the baby, what wonderful news!!  Yes, your life will change, but for the better.  And teaching (by example) your kids a healthy and active lifestyle is one of the greatest gifts you can give them.  My son and I ran our first running race together last year (Kids 1.5m Mud Run after my 3k) and it was fantastic!  Now he wants to do more.  Also they are the greatest cheerleaders!!

Nicole-Glad you're feeling better!  Being sick that long is no fun.  Your old gym sounds like a doozy! Ours has separate saunas and whirlpools for men and women, but maybe yours did too and that still didn't matter.

Ben-Hope your visit with your parents and gf parents went well, I know sometimes that can be stressfull.  Thanks for mentioning Hillary Biscay's blog, I've really enjoyed reading it.

Another fantastic, above normal day here (56), but tomorrow it's supposed to get colderFrown, so I really enjoyed my 8 mile run in short sleeves and capris!

2012-01-10 9:09 PM

Regular
Wow.  A lot of "life" kicking in today.  I hope to hear about some good but normal days!
2012-01-10 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
So we have had more than enough of winter here in Timmins, to remedy this I just booked flights to Hawaii! Maui to be exact, so we are going for ten days, car rental booked, really looking forward to Running in shorts again, and some open water swims with Sea Turtles and Humpback Whales!

the only problem, I can't find any hotel rooms or condos for under 4-500 dollars, has anyone been to Maui or have any tips? Kind of worried that we might have to buy a tent when we get there.....
2012-01-10 10:43 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
forgot to mention we leave on the 29th of Jan!

t-minus 19 days!
2012-01-11 12:54 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

justin - Congrats, kids are the best. most of the time until you have to battle with them for an hour to get them to bed like mine did tonight :)

My wife and I went to Maui a few years ago. We stayed at Lahaina Shores Beach Resort. At the time the were remodeling so we got a discount so I am not sure what the cost is now. It was a nice place but not too expensive. Lahaina is a nice town to hang out in. We spent some time wandering around the island, but definitly enjoyed a snorkel trip out to the Molokini. I have seen better snorkeling but it was still a good time.  

Sounds like people are getting good work outs in even with a variety of distractions. That is impressive.

Edited by BMiller71 2012-01-11 12:59 AM

2012-01-11 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3981223

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
IronCowgirl - 2012-01-10 12:38 AM

So I scrapped my workout for today since I got in a car accident, but I'm ok (other than my totaled car), so I'm going to hit a good bike ride for tomorrow.

Glad to hear that you are ok....bummer about your car, but cars can be replaceable and bodies cannot.

2012-01-11 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3981025

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
mdfahy - 2012-01-09 9:06 PM
Nicole83 - 2012-01-09 1:45 PM

Sooooo I'm a slacker.  Totally got the ebola virus and disappeared for a week and missed 5 pages of awesome people.  Hi guys.   My biggest fear with racing is not finishing.  Espeically for a longer distance (70.3+) race.  So much time and preparation goes into it, and often times (with a 140.6 for example) there isn't another event that you can simply register for if you bomb your A race. 

Welcome back Nicole, I hope you are feeling better.  Finishing is a common fear on long distance tri's, I did my first IM last year and it stayed with me until race day, then it was what it was going to be and I finished in 13.5 hours, way ahead of just finish and time goals of under 15 hours.  If you follow your plan you will be able to finish, trust your training at that point, that was the best advice I got from veterans and they were right on.  The key is staying healthy and injury free, which is a challenge if your body isn't used to the bigger volumes in those plans.  Keep the 10% per week rule in mind as you build your volume.

I see your from Sarasota, my brother lives there and I've been to visit him a couple times.  I totally love the area, Siesta Key Beach and SKOB are a couple of my favorite places to go when we visit.

Matt these are some fantastic points about long-distance racing and the mindset that goes into the race.

Personally for me when I did IMWI my first time in '10 I never really thought about the distances during training. I knew what they were and were aware of them going in, I even covered the full swim and bike distances in single session many times, but I never really thought about those distances. Then 5 minutes into the swim it all hit me at once, I started puking and questioning if I would be able to finish. Like you said Matt, trust your training! Once I was out of the water my attitude and beliefs changed, I remembered back to my training, what I had done to get to that point and the rest of the race was much more enjoyable and I knew that I would finish.

Visualization can go a long way as well in mentally preparing yourself to cover the distances too. Picture yourself each of those miles, coming into T1 and T2, and imagine the second half of the run. This can give you a high level of confidence as you fall back onto your training from a physical standpoint and use visualization from a mental standpoint too.

Nicole I have some excellent notes and a PP on mental training that my coach presented last year, if you want those let me know I will check to see if I still have the PP.

2012-01-11 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3982323

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Omahabritt - 2012-01-10 2:57 PM

Erica-So sorry to hear about your accident, I'm so glad you're OK!!

Justin-Congrats on the baby, what wonderful news!!  Yes, your life will change, but for the better.  And teaching (by example) your kids a healthy and active lifestyle is one of the greatest gifts you can give them.  My son and I ran our first running race together last year (Kids 1.5m Mud Run after my 3k) and it was fantastic!  Now he wants to do more.  Also they are the greatest cheerleaders!!

Nicole-Glad you're feeling better!  Being sick that long is no fun.  Your old gym sounds like a doozy! Ours has separate saunas and whirlpools for men and women, but maybe yours did too and that still didn't matter.

Ben-Hope your visit with your parents and gf parents went well, I know sometimes that can be stressfull.  Thanks for mentioning Hillary Biscay's blog, I've really enjoyed reading it.

Another fantastic, above normal day here (56), but tomorrow it's supposed to get colderFrown, so I really enjoyed my 8 mile run in short sleeves and capris!

Ali glad to see you are enjoy Hillary's blog, she has one of the best in triathlon. A good mixture of life, training, racing, and nutrition amongst a variety of other topics. And she writes well enough that the reads are rather short and to the point.

8 miles in this weather feels great doesnt it? Especially when it is Jan!

Parental visits went great too, nice to relax and enjkoy family away from the holidays.

Edited by bcagle25 2012-01-11 1:44 PM
2012-01-11 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3979188

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

justinfss - 2012-01-09 7:17 AM My Fear.

That I let myself down by not sticking to my training plan, as well as a healthy lifestyle. I have been overweight for all of my adult life and I am just finally starting to realize that it is going to have a big impact on my health down the road if I don't do something. We haven't really been freely broadcasting this, but my wife and I are expecting our first child sometime in June, and I would like to be able to set a good healthy example right from the start for this little person! Well there ya go Folks that is some big news, as I said we haven't even told everyone about this yet, so I am going to ask all you guys to keep that under your hats .... Ninjas are good at keeping secrets right??

As for what I wear to battle the frigid Arctic weather ( note: I am not actually in the Arctic, not even really close. We are North of the arctic watershed though, so all rivers and streams here flow north to James Bay/ Hudson Bay and the Arctic ocean) I find just a good tight thermal layer with outer shells to block wind. I put a light fleece on yesterday for the -20, and of course a runnning touqe and a face/neck cover. Some good socks and gloves and I'm out the door! If anyone is interested in experiencing somem true winter conditions I am always looking for running partners!

Justin, congrats on the child! I do not have any kids but I can say that some great and very positive changes seem to be in your direction in 2012. Also I think it is fantastic with your realization about your weight and the effects in can have on your life down the road. Too many people think "it won't happen to them" and thus do nothing about it. I am sure that the newborn will provide much inspiration to you, and in a couple years give you some great workouts chasing them down! My neice and nephew run all over the place at my sisters it is tiring in about 5 minutes for me.

2012-01-11 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I will catch up with the rest of everyone's posts later tonight, but right now I am getting a run in before work tonight. Parental visits went well and I was even able to sneak in a bike ride outside (#2 in jan!) yesterday. However, it seems that winter is looming here in Wisconsin.

2012-01-11 9:16 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
So how do I add people as my "friends"? I am embarrassed to say that I have never done this and I would love to add people from our group. Can someone coach me through the process? Thanks.

On the tri front, I had a breakthrough swim (for me) today. I still consider myself a very novice swimmer but I am certainly putting in the effort. Today I swam 200 in 2:51 and 1000 as a time trial in 15:46 (1:35ish/100). Both PRs for me. The 1000 hurt but I found that I was finally able to push through the suffering while swimming. That is a big change for me. Normally I would just slow down until it did not hurt so much. I have never been afraid to suffer on the run or the bike but somehow just never got over that mental hump to suffer in the water. Now I have. I feel like a whole new world of swimming is before me (of course tomorrow I will probably struggle to swim 1:45/100-swimming can be a very fickle mistress.)
2012-01-11 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3985230

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

wannabefaster - 2012-01-11 9:16 PM So how do I add people as my "friends"? I am embarrassed to say that I have never done this and I would love to add people from our group. Can someone coach me through the process? Thanks. On the tri front, I had a breakthrough swim (for me) today. I still consider myself a very novice swimmer but I am certainly putting in the effort. Today I swam 200 in 2:51 and 1000 as a time trial in 15:46 (1:35ish/100). Both PRs for me. The 1000 hurt but I found that I was finally able to push through the suffering while swimming. That is a big change for me. Normally I would just slow down until it did not hurt so much. I have never been afraid to suffer on the run or the bike but somehow just never got over that mental hump to suffer in the water. Now I have. I feel like a whole new world of swimming is before me (of course tomorrow I will probably struggle to swim 1:45/100-swimming can be a very fickle mistress.)

Jason great job on the swim PR! By the way, 200's are my favorite distance to swim with while training for IM and HIM's. It is short enough you can get lots of reps in and hold a faster pace, but long enough that it requires you to learn how to pace. I was at the same point timewise going into last summer, and then I had a huge breakthrough over the summer, I hope this translates to you as well! If you need some good workouts let me know, I have some good ones from last year, and I learned yesterday that my coach is going to put me through some killers sets this year as well (not distance killer, but effort killer).

As for friends on your log go to the plus sign, hit it, and then it will bring you to a screen where you can add each friend individually.

2012-01-12 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Morning Ninjas! We got our first snowstorm last night (still snowing too) so it was a bit of a drag to get out of bed for my swim this morning. Glad I did, tried some new sets with 125's as the main set, friggin hard with what the 125's contained! Rounded up another swimmer into our swim squad so now our wolfpack is 4, which will help a lot for us to push each other in the pool every morning this year. Now I get to shovel about 2-3 time today. What's on tap for everyone else today? I am going to try and get my first run in the snow this year as well later on.
2012-01-12 8:49 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I would love to look at/do some of your swim workouts. You can either PM them to me or post them on here and I will get them that way. Like I always say, I am not afraid to do the work but I sometimes need some guidance on what work to do.

Getting ready to head out for a 10+/- mile tempo run. It is still raining here and about 36 degrees so it should be really fun....or not.

Jason

Edited by wannabefaster 2012-01-12 8:50 AM
2012-01-12 9:11 AM

User image

How come it takes months to get fit and hours (it seems) to lose it.
Couple of swim sessions this week, and some lunchtime running. Failed to stretch properly this lunchtime and had a rubbish session.
When will I learn!

Compared to you guys taking it slow; 30 min run sets at the moment alternating walking and running.
Get back in the pool is great - feel so much better when arriving at work then. Rather smug actually!
So interesting to compare my stroke per length now compared to race time last year (using a PoolMate Pro) watch. Was around 11/12 compared to now 16.

Weight loss of 3lb this week so chuffed.

Weather in the UK has been really odd for this time of year around 11/12 C. But we are expected a cold weekend.
Well it will be for me - Curling awaits.

Catching up on all the posts - Babies and Car Crashes! What an eventful group this is!

Glad you guys are all training hard and it is really motivating for me.

Edited by andrew.robbins 2012-01-12 9:18 AM

2012-01-12 9:31 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Andrew, not to worry, you're not the only one taking it slow.

I'm just getting back into running, and at 250 lbs there are perils the small folks likely just won't comprehend.

To that end, anyone have any good reference sites for diagnosing leg issues? I've been hitting the treadmill and while I've been doing a run/walk there are parts of my legs that are beginning to protest in ways they never have before, so I'm a little out of my depth on whether it's fatigue or injury. One I'll gladly run through, the other... not so much.

Going to try some new shoes in the hopes that might help, these ones are likely borderline for mileage (and who doesn't like to get new tri toys?).

2012-01-12 1:09 PM

User image

Cheers marvipta!

Someone once told me on a treadmill alway run on an incline 1% is enough which saves my knees - what do others think?

I find regular sports massage and usage of a foam roller before and after running really helps my legs.
Also stretching which I have to force myself to do.
2012-01-12 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3985967

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Tom--Yes, I agree with the 1% incline on the treadmill. A trainer told me 0% incline is actually slightly downhill, which is not good on your knees. I have a half marathon book by Jeff Galloway that has a chapter on injuries, but a friend is borrowing it so thats not much help, but it is a good book. Have you checked the Runners World or Slowtwitch websites? I'd strongly suggest going to a reputable running store for new shoes. Go in the afternoon or evening with your old shoes. They should look at your wear patterns, how you stand without shoes, and how you run. Also a stretch that I swear by, I learned in hs track and do it after every run...lie flat on your back with your legs straight up in the air. Point your toes straight up to the sky and then straight down towards your body. Keep doing it over and over quickly, really focusing on going all the way up and down. Your shins will be on fire, but only temporarily. I always do 100 (one up down counting as one), but you might want to start with 50. This stretch almost makes my husband cry!
2012-01-13 12:54 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
got a decent swim in this morning, but my midnight shifts have been extended. Currently working 7th of 8 so far. Really screws with my sleep and training!

starting a weight loss competition at work, I haven't told any co-workers that I am an endurance Ninja in training though.... They aren't going to know what hit them!

speaking of weightloss, anyone have any tips of diets on proper fueling/nutrition while training and trying to lose weight?
2012-01-13 8:31 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Add my name onto the taking it slow list... I had grand plans on Sunday to do 6 consecutive days of training, but by Wednesday the old body was cranky.  Listened, and took the day off, but I've got to tell ya, it was a blow to the ego.

I really need to stop taking so much time completely off between racing... the last time I was training regularly I was in HIM shape, and I'm not used to my body not being able to perform at that level.

2012-01-13 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3985967

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
marvintpa - 2012-01-12 10:31 AM

Andrew, not to worry, you're not the only one taking it slow.

I'm just getting back into running, and at 250 lbs there are perils the small folks likely just won't comprehend.

To that end, anyone have any good reference sites for diagnosing leg issues? I've been hitting the treadmill and while I've been doing a run/walk there are parts of my legs that are beginning to protest in ways they never have before, so I'm a little out of my depth on whether it's fatigue or injury. One I'll gladly run through, the other... not so much.

Going to try some new shoes in the hopes that might help, these ones are likely borderline for mileage (and who doesn't like to get new tri toys?).

x2 on the running shoes.  I am a "bigger" runner for a girl and find that my shoes break down about 20-30 miles earlier than they "should".  Usually when my shoes are wearing out I have calf and achillies issues, but they go away as soon as I get shoes with better support back on my feet.

That said, if the issue is painful or lingering, I really reccomend seeing a doc ASAP.  It's never a good idea to run on an injury, and the only person who can diagnose that for sure, is a doctor.

2012-01-13 12:40 PM

User image

NOVA

I finally got to the pool this week.  It was a mix of weather and the fact that swimming is my least favorite sport.  I can find different gears in both cycling and running but I only have one speed in swimming. I don't know how to differentiate.  Any tips?

I have a hilly run on the books for tomorrow and then I plan to take Sunday completely off.  I have about 10 miles on the bike that I'm missing but I'm early in my training plan so it's not really going to set me back at all.

Anyone have exciting weekend plans? Who's off on Monday?

2012-01-13 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3985830

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

wannabefaster - 2012-01-12 8:49 AM I would love to look at/do some of your swim workouts. You can either PM them to me or post them on here and I will get them that way. Like I always say, I am not afraid to do the work but I sometimes need some guidance on what work to do. Getting ready to head out for a 10+/- mile tempo run. It is still raining here and about 36 degrees so it should be really fun....or not. Jason

When I have some time this weekend I will send you some info on swim sets, and some various tests that I have done over the past year. I'll post it right here in the forum so all can see.

By the way that 10 mile tempo run in that weather is a great mental toughness builder!

2012-01-13 2:28 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

I'm obviously not Ben, but I love this site for swim workout ideas.

http://www.ntcmastersswim.blogspot.com/

They post a short, mid and long workout daily, and have some great drill suggestions as well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  

of 19