BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-01-22 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3950650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!!

So how did everyone's training this weekend go?

My race up Hogpen was a disaster. I am definitely on a cycling and swimming focus and not only did I not train to run up a mountain, I didn't rest to prepare for the race and my legs were tired before I started.

Running for 11 miles, mostly uphill at a steep grade with partly operational quads is not fun and not recommended

Also, there was no shot at us riding up today. Rainy weather and the aforementioned shot quads...

2012-01-22 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Member quicklist

I am going to add you guys as friends so we can access training logs easily. We have:

Silverback25

Abf826-Andrew

Bar92- Brianna

Syrvelo

Aavella- Alex

Joey Blankenship- Joey

Rubant- Scott

Stone Cutter- Mike

Jayequaddroza

Japewang

2012-01-23 9:08 AM

User image

With some help I figured out how to subscribe to this thread or any other thread that you want to be notified when someone sends an update to the thread.

At the bottom of the thread click on the link that says "toggle email notifications".  Then to remove threads you do that in your settings.

2012-01-23 1:15 PM

User image

Just got a nice inspire message from Bethany, but I am not sure how to return the favor. A little help with that would be great.  About 1 month into the plan and things are going well but,..man do I get hungry,especially for sweets.  I did'nt gain any weight over the holidays and have held steady through January but I am afraid my sweet-tooth will keep me from loosing a few lbs. I need a little more will power to pass on junk food at home and work.  So this weeks focus should be to cut sugar in-take by about a half.
2012-01-23 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4005605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Rubant - 2012-01-23 9:08 AM

With some help I figured out how to subscribe to this thread or any other thread that you want to be notified when someone sends an update to the thread.

At the bottom of the thread click on the link that says "toggle email notifications".  Then to remove threads you do that in your settings.

NICE.  Will beat checking the thread a couple times at random each day.  thanks for the tip!

2012-01-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4004743

User image

Well work took me away from home, so I didn't get to do the brick I wanted to, BUT since I was in Myrtle Beach, I did run part of the marathon course that I'll be running next month.  Got in 14 and realized more importantly how strong of a wind can come off the ocean and which direction it comes from (will be the last half of the marathon if it's windy).

Took Sunday off for some rest and hit it again this morning with an hour on the bike trainer, then went to swim class and got my butt kicked for 3000m doing some 600's.  Yes, it sucked, but my times are getting faster, so that's a plus.

Hope everyone else is having a great week of training. If anyone wants to run 22 for me on Saturday, I would greatly appreciate it.  Last big run before my marathon on Feb 18th.

Scott, thanks for figuring that out.  Good to have that feature.

Syrvelo, I feel your pain in the sweets department.  I try my best to have my chocolate milk and that's it, but I sure do like a bowl of ice cream.  What I did was just make the things not accessible for me to just grab easy.  Took it off the grocery list and replaced it with sugar free pudding and whip cream.  I have no ability to say no when there is a big box of cookie dough ice cream in the freezer, so I just don't have it in there lol.

2012-01-23 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4006729

User image

Joey Blankenship - 2012-01-23 4:16 PM

Syrvelo, I feel your pain in the sweets department.  I try my best to have my chocolate milk and that's it, but I sure do like a bowl of ice cream.  What I did was just make the things not accessible for me to just grab easy.  Took it off the grocery list and replaced it with sugar free pudding and whip cream.  I have no ability to say no when there is a big box of cookie dough ice cream in the freezer, so I just don't have it in there lol.

Excellent point Joey on out of sight out of mind with tempting food. Sugar-free is a smart option and a little more will power to skip snacks .  Great workouts this weekend, sounds like you are right track. 

2012-01-23 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4004743

New user

Toronto

This past week's training?  Well the wife and I took a brief vacation to Fort Lauderdale for a few days.  I managed to golf twice (I know it doesn't count...lol), ran twice (5 miles each) and swam twice (600 m each; once after playing 18 holes and once after running 5 miles).  It was more than I thought I would get in!

I also managed to pick up a new pair of running shoes that I was in need of.

Question - I keep seeing reference to brick - what is that?

2012-01-24 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4007260

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
aavella - 2012-01-23 9:56 PM

This past week's training?  Well the wife and I took a brief vacation to Fort Lauderdale for a few days.  I managed to golf twice (I know it doesn't count...lol), ran twice (5 miles each) and swam twice (600 m each; once after playing 18 holes and once after running 5 miles).  It was more than I thought I would get in!

A Brick is a back to back workout.  Most common is a bike run brick.  So you would  go bike miles and then immediately transition into a run afterwards.  You can do swim/bike bricks or swim/run bricks, etc.  

2012-01-24 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Ok...i'm hitting my first real struggle of training.  My goal is to get up at 6am every morning and bang out an am workout.  This has been really hit or miss for me.  Fortunately I have a flexible work schedule and home support that I can stay late at work and makeup the workout so I'm not really missing workouts.  What are your tips on getting your @$$ out of bed early.  I find the days I do this are my favorite days.

thanks!

2012-01-24 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4007564

User image

japewang - 2012-01-24 8:59 AM

Ok...i'm hitting my first real struggle of training.  My goal is to get up at 6am every morning and bang out an am workout.  This has been really hit or miss for me.  Fortunately I have a flexible work schedule and home support that I can stay late at work and makeup the workout so I'm not really missing workouts.  What are your tips on getting your @$$ out of bed early.  I find the days I do this are my favorite days.

thanks!

I try to go to the gym 2 or 3 days a week and I get up at 4:15.  It is tough to do but what is necessary for me to not hit snooze is to be in bed asleep by 10 or I can't get up.  Because of my schedule this is really the best time for me to get my workouts in so that is also some of the motivation.  It is tough but like you said I feel alot better the whole day when I do get up and workout first thing in the morning.

2012-01-24 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
The more you get up early, the easier it gets.  I get up at 5:30 during the week for work M-F.  During IM training, I would sometimes get up at 4am during the week and oftentimes on the weekends to get the workouts in.  By the end of IM training, my body would naturally wake up at 4am.  I also go to bed at 9 or 9:30pm.  Yes, it sucks at first but you get use to it.
2012-01-24 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
I love you guys.  No gimmicks.  Just HTFU and go to bed earlier.
2012-01-24 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4007556

New user

Toronto
Thanks Jeremy...that helps!
2012-01-24 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4006239

User image

Extreme Veteran

Syrvelo - 2012-01-23 1:15 PM Just got a nice inspire message from Bethany, but I am not sure how to return the favor. A little help with that would be great.  About 1 month into the plan and things are going well but,..man do I get hungry,especially for sweets.  I did'nt gain any weight over the holidays and have held steady through January but I am afraid my sweet-tooth will keep me from loosing a few lbs. I need a little more will power to pass on junk food at home and work.  So this weeks focus should be to cut sugar in-take by about a half.

Are you getting enough carbs? The body craves what it needs... of course, if you're like me, with sweets, it generally then wants more too

For inspires just click on reply and it takes you to the other member's training log and a box pops up for reply

2012-01-24 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4006729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Joey Blankenship - 2012-01-23 4:16 PM

Well work took me away from home, so I didn't get to do the brick I wanted to, BUT since I was in Myrtle Beach, I did run part of the marathon course that I'll be running next month.  Got in 14 and realized more importantly how strong of a wind can come off the ocean and which direction it comes from (will be the last half of the marathon if it's windy).

Took Sunday off for some rest and hit it again this morning with an hour on the bike trainer, then went to swim class and got my butt kicked for 3000m doing some 600's.  Yes, it sucked, but my times are getting faster, so that's a plus.

Hope everyone else is having a great week of training. If anyone wants to run 22 for me on Saturday, I would greatly appreciate it.  Last big run before my marathon on Feb 18th.

Scott, thanks for figuring that out.  Good to have that feature.

Awesome! Myrtle beach is great... what is your marathon goal at this point?

2012-01-24 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4007260

User image

Extreme Veteran
aavella - 2012-01-23 9:56 PM

Nice! How come everyone is going to the beach but me?

2012-01-24 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4008423

User image

Extreme Veteran

Like all the tips on getting up earlier. I am not good at this at all.

I do a lot of later evening group workouts, so I feel like's it's just not feasible for me to finish up a two hour training session at 8 or later then get up for an early morning workout. I will do it when I have to, but usually only on days where my night session can be earlier.

For instance, I JUST got off the trainer... I have a swim and strength sess tomorrow.. there is a 0% chance any of that will  be happening in the morning! I don't have kids either, like some of you, and I do a lot of training w friends, so night makes more sense for me....

THIS morning though I was 100 percent intending on getting up to ride the trainer. Some part of my brain must have known that I really didn't want to though, because I planned ahead laying out all my stuff and then forgot to set the alarm Completely which I don't usually do...

2012-01-24 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4009201

User image

Anything better than 3:28:50 and I'll be happy.  Just want to PR without destroying myself since 8 weeks after that is my first HIM.  My buddy whom I've ran most of my marathons with is flying in to run it with me.  He thinks we should shoot for 3:15, but I don't think I'm there yet.  It's easy for him to say that since he's a 3 hour flat runner, but it's great to have him to run it.  My last half marathon I did break 1:30, yes 1:29:59 counts, so maybe 3:25 might not be too far out of the picture, we'll see.

As far as everyone else is talking about morning workouts, yes, I agree, it sucks getting up.  With kids and work, that is my time to get it the majority of my biking and running.  I usually will just wake up and take off running, most times not waking up til after my 2 mile warm-up.  I swim at lunch, so at least all of my working out in the mornings does happen at the house or start at the house.  I'm usually doing one or the other around 6am, so I'm not a 4am person like some people, but my 2 year old is a handful and doesn't like going to bed before 10, so just deal with what the cards that I'm dealt.  I usually get around 7 hours of sleep which is plenty for me.

Hope everyone is having a great week.  Here in NC, this weather is annoying cold, warm, cold, warm.  It's time to stay warm so I can quit switching out my back tire on my bike for my road one and the one I use for the trainer.

2012-01-25 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What's your mileage like? With your half time an equivalent time would be closer to 3:10 ish Assuming you are appropriately trained for the distance, have enough mileage, the right training, etc.That said, I know plenty of runners who are around that HM time and couldn't get 3:10 done. Either way you definitely have the potential to surprise yourself !
2012-01-25 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4010226

User image

Been running 4-5 days a week with mileage around 30-40 miles a week and my biking.  I do one or the other or both 6 days a week.  That half time was right after I returned from being at 5000 feet for a year, perfect weather conditions, and in my hometown so I gave it all I had.  The following week, I ran the marathon in which I did 3:28:50, so needless to say, I bonked hard.  It was wet and rainy but I was holding 3:15 til mile 16 then I blew up.  This time around I'm doing 2 22 milers with the one this Saturday being 3 weeks out then go down after that.  I'm a pro at bonking so figured I would get some longer miles in this time.  I honestly think I'm a 3:25 maybe tops. That HM time, the planets were all aligned for that race.  We'll see how it goes.  If I PR, or when I PR, I'll be happy.

Hope everyone is kicking some @#$ this week with training!

2012-01-26 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4011086

User image

Extreme Veteran
You did the HM the WEEK before your marathon last time?? No wonder you had a worse than expected performance....you will be Great this time....
2012-01-26 3:43 PM

User image

Yeah the HM the week before.  Not an approved technique, but when you haven't raced in a year, heck, why not.  I almost did another marathon the week after that one, but my knee was giving me fits.

For the other novice swimmers in here, today was a HUGE learning experience in swim class. To give you an idea of how much I suck in the pool, I can swim 1.2 miles back in forth in a 25yd pool at about 2:04 per 100.  Today our coach took out the lanes out and we all swam in a circular pattern for our workout.  All I can say is WHOA, if you are a novice like me, you gotta try this.  I was so out of my element today having people swimming beside me and the water was more choppy due to all of us swimming around.  Breathing pattern was all jacked up, engulfing water, hitting peoples feet and arms, it was interesting.  Due to the weather being too cold, I haven't made it out to open water yet, but this was a pretty good simulation of a race day, or at least I thought it was.  We are going to start doing this weekly.  It sucked bigtime, but learning usually involves things that we aren't comfortable with, and I'm stoked that we did it now since I'm 3 months away from my HIM.

Hope everyone is having as much fun as I am training.  Okay maybe not fun, desire and drive might be better words.

2012-01-28 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

How are everyone's training weekends going so far?  I did a very painful 5k this morning as part of a longer run, that I was sorely under- recovered for. Tomorrow hopefully doing 56 miles on the bike in North GA.

What about you guys?

2012-01-28 3:30 PM

User image

22 mile run this morning. Avg 8:00 min/mi and 158 bpm.  A little boring but got it done.  Tomorrow doing a 20 mile bike ride with a buddy.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  

of 14