General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2012-12-11 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4530428

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
jhouse4 - 2012-12-11 8:43 AM

Sunday’s at 10:30 at Speed in Fitchburg they have these “Themed” rides. The rides are 2 hour Computrainer rides that you ride along to a video being projected on a large screen of some people actually doing the ride. The rides are usually mountain rides from somewhere in Europe although this year they have included one from the Tour of California. I have done Alpe d'huez, Passo Gavia(over and back), Mortirolo. For me it’s usually 2 hours of suffering. But it gets me out of the house and a longer(ish) ride in during the winter.

Hmmmmm, would be cool, but the wife would frown on outgoing funds for this.

2012-12-12 5:55 PM
in reply to: #4414876

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
In honor of 12/12/12, I ran 12 hilly miles today. Chocolate milk and dinner are now in order!
2012-12-13 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Nice job on the 12 hilly miles!  Been nursing a knee injury that I'm not sure what I did to get it.  I am about to the point I have to actually start ramping up milage for a late april marathon I'm planning on signing up for.  It's got me nervous but it has gotten better.  I ran seven miles last tuesday without really any pain in my knee.  It was "tight" but there wasn't any pain in it that I could say I was hurting it further.  Took a week off due to being sick as hell and ran this tuesday and only did two miles.  It felt fine just that "tight/ awkward" feeling.

Hope everyone elses' training is going alright.  Once christmas is done I will start to ramp up training somewhat till I get into Ironman training mode.  Wish it would be spring already.

2012-12-13 10:14 PM
in reply to: #4533456

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Bevie - 2012-12-13 8:39 AM

Nice job on the 12 hilly miles!  Been nursing a knee injury that I'm not sure what I did to get it.  I am about to the point I have to actually start ramping up milage for a late april marathon I'm planning on signing up for.  It's got me nervous but it has gotten better.  I ran seven miles last tuesday without really any pain in my knee.  It was "tight" but there wasn't any pain in it that I could say I was hurting it further.  Took a week off due to being sick as hell and ran this tuesday and only did two miles.  It felt fine just that "tight/ awkward" feeling.

Hope everyone elses' training is going alright.  Once christmas is done I will start to ramp up training somewhat till I get into Ironman training mode.  Wish it would be spring already.

. Please be careful and keep an eye on that knee. We want you to be healthy and get to the swim start!
2012-12-14 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4534765

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
1stTimeTri - 2012-12-13 11:14 PM
Bevie - 2012-12-13 8:39 AM

. Please be careful and keep an eye on that knee. We want you to be healthy and get to the swim start!

Chris I second that, take of that knee and don't push it too hard if it's not feeling right. Hope you are feeling better.

2012-12-15 11:15 AM

User image

New user

Nevada, MO
Brought the bike in today and set up the computrainer.......it begins!

2012-12-15 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Alright I survived week 2 of Jorge's winter cycling program another long ride in the books. Same workout as week one but I faired slightly better this week. Last week I was in a world of hurt and dying this week just in a world of hurt so I guess that means I am making progress. Week 3 what do you do got for me? I'm ready bring in on!
2012-12-18 5:21 AM

Hello:

May I join this special group?

Name: sthoresen.  Susan

What is your Ironman resume?  Completed one tri last Sept.  Not quite a HIM distance:  1.2 swim, 54 bike, 13.1 run.  It was my first OWS and first time wearing a wetsuit.  Entered just to see if I could do it.  Finished in 6:18.  Not last place, thankfully.  Next day was IMWI registration.  With trembling fingers I hit “send” and that was the point of no return!  My spouse registered, too.  His first tri.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I live in MN, and WI is next door.  It’s only four hours from home. 

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? Finish.  Stay healthy, get strong, keep my middle aged body fit.  Have fun and leave with wonderful stories and memories.

What are you most looking forward to?  Training and getting stronger and fitter.  Being part of something special.  Challenging myself to finish something incredibly difficult.

Questions:

What training plan are you following?  Are you deep into a plan at this stage or gearing up for  a January 1 kick-off party?

I have been swimming four days a week (amazing MIW program), spinning twice and running about three times.  Plus I love yoga when I can get to it.  The bike leg has me worried.  I need to concentrate on biking this this winter (indoors, Kinetic all the way).  My first bike event will be a hundred mile ride in late April over somewhat hilly terrain.  I live in the Twin Cities MN area and there is an large organized Spring bike event.

My background is mostly running.  I ran three marathons and three half marathons this year.  I am not a natural athlete but I try.

Edited by sthoresen 2012-12-18 5:22 AM
2012-12-18 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4539247

Welcome and happy training!

I think a lot of people will use January 2nd as a good kick-off date for training to get real.

If I have one piece of advice it is this: train for hills on the bike. After you train for hills, train for some more hills. While resting.....visualize hills!

2012-12-18 1:10 PM

Harker Heights, TX

Hello!

I have been lurking for several weeks, but now i have some time to post!

Name: armckenzie  Anne

What is your Ironman resume?  This will be IM #3. IM Florida this year was supposed to be, but I was in a bike crash involving chasing dogs in July, which resulted in a fractured pelvis and scapula. So now it will be Wisconsin! i completed Redman Full 140.6 Sep 2011, and Ironman Texas '12.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? We moved from Texas to Kasas (near KC) this past summer (military famility) and Wisconsin was the closest one, later in the season. I wasn't sure how running was going to go after healing from the fractures, so I thought it best to choose one later. I knew i wouldn't be lucky enough to get in Florida again right away! I have heard nothing but great things about this race and I am looking forward to it.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? well always to finish is a goal, but i am hoping to have a better bike split, even on a tougher course than Texas. I rode 6:34 in Texas and would like to be closer to 6. I would like to PR, but on a tough course, that may not happen (better than 12:52)

What are you most looking forward to?   getting of the bike and running & the finish of course! 

overcoming a bike crash that involved dogs (that chase) has been difficult. Training on the bike is going to be challenging for me because i am still very paranoid while riding. I am constantly on the look out for dogs (dogs do not have to be contained out in the kansas coutryside). also, having to train indoors on a trainer is tough for me because i am used to Texas winters where you can get outside and ride year round. lets hope for a mild winter!

2012-12-19 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Yeah we have dog problems here in Illinois as well.  I think you are going to have them everywhere.  The best thing I have found is if you are doing a new route that you havn't done before always try and be ready for them because with this past summer being my first in the sport I found that dogs chasing is never a good thing.   I find the trainer to be extremely boring as well.  Getting ready to leave here soon to go out on the mountain bike this morning and get some miles in before this winter storm hits tomorrow.  I'm on nights at the moment so I am thinking I'll be calling off work tomorrow night.  They are saying to only drive in emergencies and that winds will gust to 55 mph with 10-15 inches of snow possible.  Guess there is always a first for having to call off due to weather.

2012-12-19 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4539992

Just a quick tip re: dogs. Never run out of water on your bike. As a dog starts to chase just grab the bottle and give him a good blast. Try to get him in the face and he'll back right off. The key is to stay calm so you don't crash. It obviously doesn't hurt the dog, but they don't know that at the time and it stops them in their tracks. Have fun training, I'll be up there for attempt #2 after an epic style melt-down on the run in 2011. Be safe!
2012-12-20 5:35 AM

What training program are people using?  For marathon prep I just go out an run.  Nothing organized and it gets the job done.  But I think this is a whole different game that requires way more discipline and structure.  I bought "Be Iron Fit" and it has a range of plans one can follow.  Has anyone used this approach?

I plan to do a HIM distance race in early June.  Is that far enough out from IMWI to gauge my progress?

2012-12-20 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4542304

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
sthoresen - 2012-12-20 5:35 AM

What training program are people using?  For marathon prep I just go out an run.  Nothing organized and it gets the job done.  But I think this is a whole different game that requires way more discipline and structure.  I bought "Be Iron Fit" and it has a range of plans one can follow.  Has anyone used this approach?

I plan to do a HIM distance race in early June.  Is that far enough out from IMWI to gauge my progress?

Some people like the structure of a plan, others would rather do their own thing. I personally like a plan. I actually enjoy the structure and it gives me confidence. I use Matt Fitzgerald's plans. He has 10 levels for each distance and I like the way they are structured. You can get his book on Amazon for less than $20.

There are tons of plans out there including on this site. As far as the HIM in June, that is also a personal choice, but June should be fine timing wise if you want to do one.

2012-12-20 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4542315

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
TriBoilermaker - 2012-12-20 7:15 AM
sthoresen - 2012-12-20 5:35 AM

Some people like the structure of a plan, others would rather do their own thing. I personally like a plan. I actually enjoy the structure and it gives me confidence. I use Matt Fitzgerald's plans. He has 10 levels for each distance and I like the way they are structured. You can get his book on Amazon for less than $20.

There are tons of plans out there including on this site. As far as the HIM in June, that is also a personal choice, but June should be fine timing wise if you want to do one.

I plan on using the Fink's Iron Fit plans. I am going to use a combination of the intermediate plan for the swim and run and the competitive plan for the bike. I'll modify it where necessary. I have consulted with one of my friends who has done several IM's and followed the above plans with success so he has helped me with outlining my timeline and overall plan.

I have also used Fink's competitive plan for the HIM I did this past Sept. and that worked for me. It was slighty modified and I followed it up to the week where he has you do a HIM. There are thread's here on BT that discuss that in detail. I'm also doing a HIM at the end of June and I think that should be fine as well.

I will defer to those though who have more experience than I do.

2012-12-21 6:24 AM

I like the idea of combining parts of various plans.  The bike leg has me the most nervous.  How much time will people spend on the trainer this winter?  MN winters make it difficult to get outside to ride.  How often are people getting on the trainer?

2012-12-21 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4543835

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

sthoresen - 2012-12-21 7:24 AM I like the idea of combining parts of various plans.  The bike leg has me the most nervous.  How much time will people spend on the trainer this winter?  MN winters make it difficult to get outside to ride.  How often are people getting on the trainer?

For me I am currently doing Jorge's winter cycling program.  I am 3 weeks into that and that should take through to the end of March, 4 days a week all on the trainer. After that I will start the transition over to the Iron Fit competitive bike plan. I will probably do 3 more weeks of intervals repeating week's 14-16 and then from mid April to Sept it will be Fink's competitive plan for the bike. I'm figuring I will probably have to do some of that on the trainer but if the weather cooperates and I can ride outdoors I will. I have the same concerns as you when it comes to the bike so that is going to be my number one priority. When I get outdoors I will be riding as many hills as I can and then some more just for good measure.

2012-12-21 2:41 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Name: michlmead - real name Michelle

What is your Ironman resume? First Full

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Seemed like a great location - one of my best friends just located there for work, free place to stay - Oh yeah, forgot to say turning the big 50 this year!!
We have about 30 people from Cleveland Tri Club coming to the 2013 event.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? First goal is to finish in one piece, dream goal...no mistakes and coming in with no issues, ticket to Kona 2014

What are you most looking forward to? Hearing Michelle Mead you are an Ironman!!

Veterans any advice you can give early on?

Edited by michlmead 2012-12-21 2:57 PM
2012-12-22 5:19 AM

Tony-where does one obtain Jorge's winter bike training plan?  What is the formal name of the plan.  Sounds like you have a well thought out strategy.

Today is a swimming day for me.  Yesterday was an unexpected rest day.  Ugh!  I hate when my routine is interrupted.  Roll with it.  Life goes on.

We have a lot of running around to do this weekend between kid activities (we have five), a funeral for a neighbor, and preparing for Christmas. 

2012-12-22 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4544946

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
sthoresen - 2012-12-22 6:19 AM

Tony-where does one obtain Jorge's winter bike training plan?  What is the formal name of the plan.  Sounds like you have a well thought out strategy.

Today is a swimming day for me.  Yesterday was an unexpected rest day.  Ugh!  I hate when my routine is interrupted.  Roll with it.  Life goes on.

We have a lot of running around to do this weekend between kid activities (we have five), a funeral for a neighbor, and preparing for Christmas. 

Susan, Jorge's plan is here on BT. You can go to the Programs button and there will be a drop down and you can select cycling. There are two plans cycling with heart rate and cycling with power. If you go to the plan description of either plan that will take you to the main page and explain the program.

Also if you go to the forums under the challenge me forum there is a thread for the winter cycling program at the top of the threads. If you have any questions or need help that forum is the place to ask questions and you will get the help you need there. I'm no expert but if you need help please feel free to PM me.

2012-12-25 7:31 AM

User image

Regular
Waconia, Minnesota

Name: Jedd325 - real name: Jedd

What is your Ironman resume? IMKY 2011, IMWI 2012

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? I'm coming back to IMWI for redemption to punch my ticket to Kona. Last year I was in position to do it but made a few mistakes with my nutrition and cramped up on the run. Training this year is all about focusing on the details.

What are you most looking forward to? Primarily getting the Kona slot but overall just enjoying doing a 3rd IM and spending the time with family and friends during the week/weekend.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Don't go too hard on the bike!!! Also, in my case, make sure you have your nutrition dialed in and have a couple of back up plans so you are prepared for everything and anything.

2012-12-25 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4542304

User image

New user

Nevada, MO

This is my first Ironman so I am trying to sort things out as well.  I am starting the half IM plan on this site in Jan.  Then through progression will start the BT Full IM plan in April.  I follow plans as best my schedule will allow and if I miss a workout depending on the schedule I will work it in or skip it and move on.  I am also doing a HIM in early June so lets hope the timing is right!

My lovely wife surprised me with a computrainer IM Wisconsin video and a waterproof Ipod for Christmas so no turning back now. 

Cant believe I already have butterflies!!!! 

2012-12-26 6:54 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Name: Suzy Shain

What is your Ironman resume? IM WI 2010, 2011, 2012.  I live in Verona right on the bike course so it's a natural.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? After having a cable break at 3m on the bike in '11 and having kidney shut down due to salt intake in '12, I am looking forward to executing the race I've trained for.  I see a 12:XX:XX as part of that plan.

What are you most looking forward to? The training leading up to the race including the two BIG DAYS I do each Summer with my coach, getting off the bike and running the way I did in '10 only faster and looking up at the race clock as I go down the finishers chute (I don't look at a watch while racing so it's my first chance to see my time).

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Find a plan that you can stick to and do it, enjoy the training because it's a bigger part of IM than the actual race day, use your long days to hone nutrition, practice visualization AND slow down in that chute and take it all in because you will only have one first IM!

2012-12-26 11:01 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi All:

OK, I bought a great new/used road bike - it fits great... all carbon Specialized Amira Expert, got the Zip 303's with power tap. Total weight about 17.2 with areobars bottles cages etc.

Thoughts on the hills of Wisconsin... do I need a Tri Bike? I know it can be a personal choice, would like to hear some input from people who have done the race?

Thank you, it will be my first full.

Michelle
2012-12-26 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4548392

User image

Regular
Waconia, Minnesota

Hi Michelle,

Do you have a goal for the race? I think what bike really depends on goals. If you are just hoping to enjoy the day and finish whenever (before midnight) then a road bike works great, especially because that is what you already have. If you are aiming to be competitive and, even more, if you are looking for Kona slot then you absolutely need to be riding a tri bike. A tri bike will be faster (especially for the elite) but a road bike will be very solid all around and could be much more comfortable to be riding if you may think you will be on the course for a while. Plus the road bike you have is a great set up!

Sorry, I answered your question with another question... Laughing

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24