BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-01-05 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4563397

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: RE: Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train!

Threejs - 2013-01-05 10:16 AM Hi Suzie,Do you have some good wheat free recipes or books you recommend?Revamping my diet and looking for some new recipes.Thanks!EllenGO PACKERS!

I have gotten many good recipes from Living Without. I get the magazine, but they also have a good website LivingWithout.com  

I have also been getting some recipes from PaleoSpirit.com and PaleOMG.  I like the paleo recipes because they do not include any grains. Living without 's latest magazine had an article about using flours that have more nutritional value as opposed to rice flour, which has very little.  I have been experimenting with recipes that use coconut, almond, quinoa, buckwheat, sorghum and also using raw honey, or coconut palm sugar as sweetners when needed.

Check out those sites and let me know what you think.

Susie

2013-01-05 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4561922

User image

New user

Subject: Pedals and goal update

Hi guys! 

@Kelly---just to add my two cents to the mix about the pedals. I too have totally bitten the dust at a complete stop and only once while going at a higher speed. I slipped on wet leaves. It wasn't pretty, but I survived! I was pretty freaked out about using them at first too, but my first ones were the Crank Brothers Candy Pedals, which I thought were easier to get in and out of for a beginner. I too have Shimano mountain biking shoes because I do like to be able to walk easily in my shoes when off of the bike. 

As for my training---I did get to the pool today. Yay! It's been a few months since I've swam. I had a great workout---did about 1250 yards total. It felt great. I'm really excited to have a training plan that will get me to have swimming as part of my workout. If only there was a quad of some kind that included yoga so I could make that a mandatory part of the training too!  

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Looks like people are on track! 

Nice work getting to the pool Suz. It does always feel good to get a good workout in. 

Greta 

2013-01-06 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4545748

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Hi all!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  So what are the goals for the week?

For me, it's get the eating back on track. Overall I'm a pretty healthy eater, but I have a wicked sweet tooth, and there are plenty of gluten free desserts out there to temp me. I just finished the yummiest caramel apple! (Loads of gooey delicious carmel!!!) I delude myself into thinking it's "healthy" because there happens to be an apple under all that caramel.  SO goal for the week...no sugar!   That and get to the strength class on Wednesday AM, which necessitates a 4:50 wake up. UG

2013-01-06 8:16 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
I accomplished my goal for this past week! I also got in an extra 20 minute run. Goal for this coming week is to finish all the SBR workouts in my plan and at least one of the strength workouts. Train on!
2013-01-06 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Ok. Sorry, I have been under the weather the last week with migraines, back pain and a very swollen and sore ankle.

My plans this week is to swim at least twice and spin at least twice.
2013-01-06 11:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
So I am trying to find a training plan that works for me.

RUN: Can't run so doing elliptical. Plan to do the weight loss setting for a few weeks then transition to fat burning program. My have to start in the manual setting for a week or so.

BIKE: - Keeping this simple. I plan to just take spin classes at the gym and just increase my intensity as I go. Classes are 45 mins to an hour. I prefer the 45 min classes but will take both.

SWIM: I SUCK at swimming but I am determined to become a decent swimmer. I am planing to swim 3 x a week. Once will be in my development masters class and 2x will be on my own. I am a slow swimmer and the slowest in the class. My class workout is determined by the coach. We (well me, others do more) get in between 850 to 1200yards of drills, more drills, work on technique and lap swimming. The goal is to get us swimming long distance by summer. I think as I build endurance and improve my stroke/technique, speed will come, I hope.

For the 2 days on my own I want to do one of these two plans. Can you look at these 2 swim training plans and let me know your thoughts?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

2013-01-06 11:28 PM

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Subject: This week's goal

Okay, this week is the beginning of my new, packed schedule. My goal is just to fit in all of my planned training -- 3 runs, 3 swims, and 3 bike rides. This is maybe a little ambitious but I took today off so I'm feeling rested!

Julia

2013-01-07 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4565348

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Lovey - 2013-01-07 12:23 AM So I am trying to find a training plan that works for me. RUN: Can't run so doing elliptical. Plan to do the weight loss setting for a few weeks then transition to fat burning program. My have to start in the manual setting for a week or so. BIKE: - Keeping this simple. I plan to just take spin classes at the gym and just increase my intensity as I go. Classes are 45 mins to an hour. I prefer the 45 min classes but will take both. SWIM: I SUCK at swimming but I am determined to become a decent swimmer. I am planing to swim 3 x a week. Once will be in my development masters class and 2x will be on my own. I am a slow swimmer and the slowest in the class. My class workout is determined by the coach. We (well me, others do more) get in between 850 to 1200yards of drills, more drills, work on technique and lap swimming. The goal is to get us swimming long distance by summer. I think as I build endurance and improve my stroke/technique, speed will come, I hope. For the 2 days on my own I want to do one of these two plans. Can you look at these 2 swim training plans and let me know your thoughts? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

Lovey,

I use the BT plan you linked, but I just modified the distances for my needs. I wrote it down and keep in a zip lock bag so I can have it pool side. I found it pretty straight forward and made for a planned session.  I cant view the other link while at work. 

2013-01-07 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4563877

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
suzimmer - 2013-01-05 6:53 PM

Threejs - 2013-01-05 10:16 AM Hi Suzie,Do you have some good wheat free recipes or books you recommend?Revamping my diet and looking for some new recipes.Thanks!EllenGO PACKERS!

I have gotten many good recipes from Living Without. I get the magazine, but they also have a good website LivingWithout.com  

I have also been getting some recipes from PaleoSpirit.com and PaleOMG.  I like the paleo recipes because they do not include any grains. Living without 's latest magazine had an article about using flours that have more nutritional value as opposed to rice flour, which has very little.  I have been experimenting with recipes that use coconut, almond, quinoa, buckwheat, sorghum and also using raw honey, or coconut palm sugar as sweetners when needed.

Check out those sites and let me know what you think.

Susie

Suz,

Thanks for the info.  I already subscribed to the PaleOMG blog. I find it quite humorous.  I will be making my first recipe off the site this week.  She posted a brussel sprout recipe.  I think my 11 year old self would kick me in the shins for even thinking about trying brussel sprouts... the madness. 

2013-01-07 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

So my weekend didn't go exactly as I planned.  It started off on the wrong foot when I showed up and signed in for spin class, only to find out all the bikes were taken.  So, I ran (drove) back home got my head phones just to run back to the gym and used one of the new computerized spin bikes. They run programs similar to the class, just do not appear to be as intense.  Although, I am still figuring out all the options.  I got 50 minutes in on a long hard flat.  Felt like a good workout in the end as my quads were nicely worked. 

Sunday I got my run in, but missed out on my yoga class.  I didn't realize the timing of the class overlapped with a kids birthday party.  There is always next week. 

This morning I got my swim and strength training in.  This week felt much eaiser than last week, but that could just be in my head.  I still need to get moving earlier in the morning as right now I am running late.  For the rest of the week I have 2 strength, 2 bike, one swim and one run left.  

Happy Monday everyone!

2013-01-07 7:03 PM

Happy Monday!

My first goal is to find a good training plan.  I am moving from sprint to international distance. Any suggestions for a plan?

I see that some of you are gold or silver members.  What are the advantages? 

I am planning on swimming 2 - 3 times per week. Running 3 - 4 times. I am biking just one day. I think I need to bike more often.  I need to start clipping in. I have been reading the suggestions. A bit nervous but I need to take that step.

I hope everyone has a great week!

2013-01-07 8:04 PM

El Paso

Hi guys,

Good day, happy monday to all!!

Ok so I have a couple of questions regarding start up, my plan is simple just one half IM for this year, the race is on middle Sep. so plenty of time, how much base trrainning will I need? is there a simple way to establish a HR goal?

I apologize if questions are airhead,  

2013-01-07 10:39 PM

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Subject: Heart Rate question

Connie, I'm a beginner so I can't offer you any advice but I'm doing the same as you -- moving from a sprint to an Olympic this year. My race isn't until September - when's yours? I got a copy of Joe Friel's "Triathlete's Training Bible" and it answered so many of my questions about developing a training plan. 

Suz & Steph (or anyone who knows): A question about heart rates and zones & whatnot... I don't have a heart rate monitor and so my methods aren't usually exact but it seems when I run I have a hard time staying under 160 bpm even on my "easy" runs. My RHR is 64 and max HR is about 193 (but this is calculated from a formula, so maybe not totally accurate). If I run any slower I feel like I'm standing still. How bad is it to run most of the time at >70% MHR? 

Thanks!

Julia

2013-01-08 7:28 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Training Plan

My goal this week is to follow the 20 Week Sprint - 3x Balanced I am currently using. I have to admit, I am doing a bit of a mish-mash training plan for now. I am starting on Month 2 of that plan. I felt like month 1 wasn't challenging enough for where I'm at now with my fitness. So far so good with it. It's getting me in the pool more and getting in good runs and biking. I ordered Friel's Your First Triathlon, and it has yet to arrive. So, I think I get a bit more tailored once I have it in hand.  

I also am trying to use a few of the weight training tips from Friel's Triathlon Training Bible book. My partner, John has that one. Adding rows, calf raises, lat pull downs, and a few others that I don't normally do in my Body Pump workouts. 

Have a great week everyone! 

Greta

2013-01-08 7:48 AM

New user

Singapore

Just want to say that I'm still here and kicking it. I've been dancing and running little here and tomorrow I can finally fly to Phuket and get this started. I made a program starting from 14th (still needs little fixing that I'll do during the flight and first days in Phuket so that I see what I got to work with), didn't want to start one here in Singapore because this travelling would cut it short anyway and I don't want to risk it. The beginning is the most important!!! And I'm so exited to get on, can't wait for the 14th!!!

2013-01-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4566984

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
ConnieVisc - 2013-01-07 8:03 PM

Happy Monday!

My first goal is to find a good training plan.  I am moving from sprint to international distance. Any suggestions for a plan?

I see that some of you are gold or silver members.  What are the advantages? 

I am planning on swimming 2 - 3 times per week. Running 3 - 4 times. I am biking just one day. I think I need to bike more often.  I need to start clipping in. I have been reading the suggestions. A bit nervous but I need to take that step.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Connie there are a couple of good free training plans on this site.  The membership will add full details to the plans. There is a custom training plan available to everyone as well.  You just supply some basic information and it generates a plan for you based on that.  The current plan I am using was created this way.  It just took some time for me to get one that fit my ability. Link to the custom plan: clicky

Here is the link that covers the different membership benefits: clicky

Can you swap a run for a bike.  It would be good to have at least 2 bike days every week. 

HTH

2013-01-08 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4567074

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
alfredo1414 - 2013-01-07 9:04 PM

Hi guys,

Good day, happy monday to all!!

Ok so I have a couple of questions regarding start up, my plan is simple just one half IM for this year, the race is on middle Sep. so plenty of time, how much base trrainning will I need? is there a simple way to establish a HR goal?

I apologize if questions are airhead,  

Hey Alfredo

I am not sure what your current level of fitness is and I myself am not at the HIM distance yet.  But if I were to start training for one today, I would want to get my base just above the HIM distances.  So I would shoot for being able to run 15 miles, bike 60 miles, and swim 2 miles with ease, before race day.  Not all in one day, but in different training sessions.  There are plenty of people that successfully complete a HIM with out that much base, but I need to know that I can do the distance I am competing.  

HTH

2013-01-08 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4567278

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Subject: RE: Heart Rate question
CaptainStripey - 2013-01-07 11:39 PM

Connie, I'm a beginner so I can't offer you any advice but I'm doing the same as you -- moving from a sprint to an Olympic this year. My race isn't until September - when's yours? I got a copy of Joe Friel's "Triathlete's Training Bible" and it answered so many of my questions about developing a training plan. 

Suz & Steph (or anyone who knows): A question about heart rates and zones & whatnot... I don't have a heart rate monitor and so my methods aren't usually exact but it seems when I run I have a hard time staying under 160 bpm even on my "easy" runs. My RHR is 64 and max HR is about 193 (but this is calculated from a formula, so maybe not totally accurate). If I run any slower I feel like I'm standing still. How bad is it to run most of the time at >70% MHR? 

Thanks!

Julia

Julia

How are you measuring your heart rate?  How does your body feel when you are running? Are you winded or are you able to have an easy conversation?  To me it sounds like your heart rate is too high and you should slow it down. I suggest targeting the 130 range.   I think the biggest risk at running at 70% is going to be injury.  Do you have a smart phone?  There is a free app (at least for Iphones) that uses the camera to take your heart rate.  I have found it pretty accurate, but you have to keep still while it is taking the reading. It is called HeartRate.   

2013-01-08 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sorry I haven't been on in a bit. I am moving from Miami to Atlanta at the end of the month... and running Disney this weekend, and ING at the end of the month... AND had tickets to the BCS Championship game last night. WOW, that was amazing. Roll Tide!

That said I did a swim yesterday morning and bridge repeats late afternoon... that, 2 beers and a chili-cheese dog and I feel like I was hit by a truck! I am not fit enough for 2-a-days, but I took it easy on the bridge. Did some walking, yes I did.

I promise I'll get my act together this week!!! I am SO HAPPY you are all communicating, sharing, etc. Otis Brown... kid, it's good to have you back!

Good stuff posted here on HR Training. There are many schools of thought on it. When I first started, I did everything by HR, I knew I was pretty badly out-of-shape and I didn't want anything bad to happen. Eventually the resting HR went down, and my max HR was reached less and less often. After a few months I was able to find real "zones" and train according to them. DON'T RUSH IT. Be methodical. Go Slow.

The worst thing you will do (even though I tell you not to) is to try to "catch up" on your training plan.. or "make up" for missed workouts. Don't do it. Just keep on keeping on.
2013-01-08 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4565348

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lovey - 2013-01-07 12:23 AM

So I am trying to find a training plan that works for me.

RUN: Can't run so doing elliptical. Plan to do the weight loss setting for a few weeks then transition to fat burning program. My have to start in the manual setting for a week or so.

BIKE: - Keeping this simple. I plan to just take spin classes at the gym and just increase my intensity as I go. Classes are 45 mins to an hour. I prefer the 45 min classes but will take both.

SWIM: I SUCK at swimming but I am determined to become a decent swimmer. I am planing to swim 3 x a week. Once will be in my development masters class and 2x will be on my own. I am a slow swimmer and the slowest in the class. My class workout is determined by the coach. We (well me, others do more) get in between 850 to 1200yards of drills, more drills, work on technique and lap swimming. The goal is to get us swimming long distance by summer. I think as I build endurance and improve my stroke/technique, speed will come, I hope.

For the 2 days on my own I want to do one of these two plans. Can you look at these 2 swim training plans and let me know your thoughts?

Lovey I think the endurance one looks good. If you think your technique is good enough, I'd do that one. My coach has me do a couple of drills specifically for my "issues" before each workout. Then do endurance. Make sure your masters coach has a drill or two that really speaks to your biggest form issue. Mine is proper reach and a calmer kick. So I swim a few laps on my side... it's a particular drill. Find out and see what the coach thinks. It's great you are doing so much swimming!
2013-01-08 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4561922

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Turtle who Tris - 2013-01-04 11:34 AM

Good morning everyone,

I received a GC to a LBS for Christmas and want to get some clipless pedals and shoes this weekend, but I have no idea about what to look for, pricing, etc.  Does anyone have any input on their experiences and how their gear is working for them?  Also, how do they feel while using them?  Since I'm a newbie in this field, any feedback would be helpful.

I've also read many stories about people falling while using clipless pedals; which is something I'm not really looking forward to.  Is that one of those things that everyone had done once, or is there a possibility of avoiding that?  

Thanks,

Kelly

You do not have to go clipless. Wait and see how this all goes for you. When you get frustrated with your bike times, you'll want to push AND pull and make those nice spinning circles with your pedal stroke. Until then, you can do very well biking with just the pedal or the cages/straps.

I had SPDs for a year and took two falls. Granted the right pedal was screwed too tight, but I didn't know. Now I have LOOK pedals and love them. I keep my shoes with the SPDs for spin class.

2013-01-08 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4568046

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
stephsprint - 2013-01-08 12:12 PM

Turtle who Tris - 2013-01-04 11:34 AM

Good morning everyone,

I received a GC to a LBS for Christmas and want to get some clipless pedals and shoes this weekend, but I have no idea about what to look for, pricing, etc.  Does anyone have any input on their experiences and how their gear is working for them?  Also, how do they feel while using them?  Since I'm a newbie in this field, any feedback would be helpful.

I've also read many stories about people falling while using clipless pedals; which is something I'm not really looking forward to.  Is that one of those things that everyone had done once, or is there a possibility of avoiding that?  

Thanks,

Kelly

I agree you do not have to go clipless. I took different approach and got COMBO PEDALS.
One side is a regular platform pedal and the other side is clipless. the clips use SPD clips like you have on spin bikes. I like those bike shoes better. During easy rides, I use either side with my bike shoes or wear sneakers and use the platform side. During training rides and races, I was always clipped in.

check some out at:
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/pr...

OR

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=shimano%20pd-m324%20mtb%20...
2013-01-08 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4568034

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
stephsprint - 2013-01-08 12:07 PM

Lovey - 2013-01-07 12:23 AM

• .....SWIM: I SUCK at swimming but I am determined to become a decent swimmer. I am planing to swim 3 x a week. Once will be in my development masters class and 2x will be on my own. I am a slow swimmer and the slowest in the class. My class workout is determined by the coach. We (well me, others do more) get in between 850 to 1200yards of drills, more drills, work on technique and lap swimming. The goal is to get us swimming long distance by summer. I think as I build endurance and improve my stroke/technique, speed will come, I hope.

• For the 2 days on my own I want to do one of these two plans. Can you look at these 2 swim training plans and let me know your thoughts?

Lovey I think the endurance one looks good. If you think your technique is good enough, I'd do that one. My coach has me do a couple of drills specifically for my "issues" before each workout. Then do endurance. Make sure your masters coach has a drill or two that really speaks to your biggest form issue. Mine is proper reach and a calmer kick. So I swim a few laps on my side... it's a particular drill. Find out and see what the coach thinks. It's great you are doing so much swimming!

I spoke to my coach and this was her response. Her idea didn't even cross my mind!

"Hi Lovey,

You're going to laugh but I think you need to combine them…..and do something like this:

WEEK one (Three Days):
    4 x 100 yards (or meters)...rest for 12 breaths between 100s
    Drill
    2 x 25m Right Arm
    2 x 25m Left Arm
    2 x 25m Kick
    2 x 25m Scull
    4 x 50 yards...rest for 8 breaths between 50s
    4 x 25 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 25s
    total: 900 yards

I think its important to combine drills into everything you do but also do some endurance work. Instead of resting by breaths you could also rest for :30 seconds (12 breaths), :20 seconds (8 breaths), or :10 (4 breaths)

Depending on the amount of time you have, you want to swim for at least 20-30 minutes each time (and no more than :45 or so)

Let me know how it goes and THANK YOU for sending these….I'll share with the group….
    2013-01-08 3:33 PM

Julia,

My race is March 3rd. 

I train with a small new tri group and we have a training plan. I'm just not sure it is the right one for me.

Thanks!

2013-01-08 3:37 PM
    in reply to: #4567782

Subject: Training Plans

Thanks Otis! I appreciate your help.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  

of 16