BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-02-06 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4612135

User image

Baton Rouge
Subject: RE: Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open

tygr_tri - 2013-02-06 10:13 PMIf this group is still open I'd like to join.

NAME: Angie/tygr_tri

STORY: I grew up playing sports so competition and working out was something I did regularly as a kid and through college. Of course once life set in I got away from being active until about 2009 and I started back in the gym. In 2010, I switched gyms and did a "boot camp" class and have been hooked on HIIT every since. I love going to the gym and not knowing what the hour long class will bring me. During that time at the gym, I met my now running partner and really only began running because we signed up for an adventure race and I didn't want to embarrass her or me as we were teamed up. Fast forward to today and we've covered tons of miles and even did our first half marathon in Napa last year.

I wasn't fond of just running so I figured I'd try biking as something else to do. I mountain biked when I was in college and had heard talks of Duathlons so I signed up for one and was in the fat tire division. It was hard, exhilarating and challenging! Just what I needed, so naturally I found more. It also made me realize I'm one of very few minorities participating in endurance sports of this nature :-(Eventually I bought my own road bike after borrowing a friends for a while, then bought a tri/tt bile last year and sadly 7 months later just as I was used to the fit and the aero position, it was stolen :( I finally bought a new tri/tt bike last month since I was ready to start training again.

2012 RACES: I participated in 6 or 7 Sprint Duathlons, 1 half marathon, 2 10ks, and probably half a dozen 5Ks. In duathlon competiton I was top 3 in my age group (F30-35) three times and top 10 the other times. This is the year I become a triathlete.FAMILY STATUS: Single w/2 dogs. (Terrier/Pomeranian mix-10: Poodle-3) I work as an Administrator of Clinical Research, Grants and Contracts.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm on week 5 of an 8 week Sprint Duathlon plan but also on week 2 of learning to swim; going 3 days a week to the pool and 1 or 2 days a week strength training. I say learn to swim because while I can swim well enough not to drown, I have never had formal swim lessons and it's HARD!

2013 RACES: Sprint Duathlons and we'll see how many Sprint Triathlons but I know for sure at least one.

WEIGHT LOSS: I dropped probably 20-25lbs when I got back into working out in 2010. Right now I'd like to lose 10-12lbs and get leaner. Having a hard time knowing the amount of foods to balance all of the training I do.

I'm new to the mentee world and not sure what to expect.

Well crap, I do know how to use paragraphs but apparently iPad doesn't like to do so, sorry..

Edited by tygr_tri 2013-02-07 10:34 AM

2013-02-07 5:33 AM
in reply to: #4563355

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Okay Bart,

I had a chance to take a look at your plan, and it looks to me like a pretty decent plan, assuming it's starting "where you are". Do you feel like it's a good fit for you at this point in your training - i.e., the sessions are not too easy/too short or too hard/too long for your current level of fitness? If the sessions feel about right for you, then it looks like a well structured. Just keep in mind that any "generic" plan like this may or may not meet your specific needs, and it's okay to modify/deviate from the plan if needed. In other words (and this isn't just aimed at you, but good advice to anyone new to following a training plan) - don't feel like you have to be a slave to the plan - if something's not working, don't be afraid to change it.
2013-02-07 5:34 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Linda and Angie -- Welcome to the group!
2013-02-07 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
I don't know, Angie.  Someone who can't use paragraphs..... Laughing
2013-02-07 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4612519

User image

Baton Rouge

HelmoAlkou - 2013-02-07 8:43 AM I don't know, Angie.  Someone who can't use paragraphs..... Laughing

what I lack in use of paragraphs on an ipad, I make up with heart on the course! Cool

2013-02-07 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4612258

New user

Amsterdam

Jenny,

Thanks for reviewing my plan. There is also a plan for intermediate from that site, but that one takes 7-8 hours per week and is for people with 2 years of Olympic Triathlon experience. This is my second year now, and yes I've been doubting if this beginner plan was not too easy for me. Especially short sessions in zone 1 those first couple of weeks. But I'm afraid I'm not going to make the 7-8 hours. Do you think I should I try the intermediate plan and adjust it to 5-6 hours? Last year I did 2 Olympic (quarter) races and 1 sprint race.

Here's the link to the intermediate training:

http://gbr.garmin.com/training/_downloads/en/Tri-Training-Programme-12-week-Olympic-Intermediate.pdf 

Another questions. I train sometimes more and sometimes ( few months) less during the year. How many weeks will it take me (42years old and I think okay condition) to lower my avg hr and run/bike/swim faster? Because I think it takes a lot of time before my average hr lowers, but never monitored it exactly). For example, if I run in zone 1 (125 to 138) I will not go fast, and that's frustrating. When I run between 144 and 151 I still can run for an hour and feel pretty okay. And is running twice a week, 1x interval, 1x 1hour running) the correct method for reaching this goal?

Bart

2013-02-07 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4612259

User image

Baton Rouge

jsnowash - 2013-02-07 5:34 AM Linda and Angie -- Welcome to the group!

Thanks for the welcome!

2013-02-07 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4613145

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
bartmaag - 2013-02-07 2:45 PM

Jenny,

Thanks for reviewing my plan. There is also a plan for intermediate from that site, but that one takes 7-8 hours per week and is for people with 2 years of Olympic Triathlon experience. This is my second year now, and yes I've been doubting if this beginner plan was not too easy for me. Especially short sessions in zone 1 those first couple of weeks. But I'm afraid I'm not going to make the 7-8 hours. Do you think I should I try the intermediate plan and adjust it to 5-6 hours? Last year I did 2 Olympic (quarter) races and 1 sprint race.

Here's the link to the intermediate training:

http://gbr.garmin.com/training/_downloads/en/Tri-Training-Programme-12-week-Olympic-Intermediate.pdf 

Another questions. I train sometimes more and sometimes ( few months) less during the year. How many weeks will it take me (42years old and I think okay condition) to lower my avg hr and run/bike/swim faster? Because I think it takes a lot of time before my average hr lowers, but never monitored it exactly). For example, if I run in zone 1 (125 to 138) I will not go fast, and that's frustrating. When I run between 144 and 151 I still can run for an hour and feel pretty okay. And is running twice a week, 1x interval, 1x 1hour running) the correct method for reaching this goal?

Bart

Hey Bart, fitness gains are a pretty individual thing... hard to say exactly how long it will take any one individual to improve.

How are you determining your heart rate zones? It could be that you don't have your heart rate zones dialed in.

I'm generally a proponent of running as much as you can manage... I actually think it's better from an injury prevention standpoint (more frequent but shorter runs are less stressful than piling all of your weekly miles into two longer or harder run sessions), and it's definitely better for improving running.

IMO, it will be hard to progress very quickly on just two runs per week...
2013-02-08 1:30 AM

User image

Western Slope, Colorado

I'm hoping there's still room in this group even though i'm a little late for the party.

name - Kristi / luinel

story - I grew up being active and athletic, riding bikes all over the place, swim team every summer. In high school i was in volleyball and softball (and swim team). By that time my knees bothered me all the time and i had stopped riding my bike. Some kids told me i was fat when i was in third grade and i believed it for a long time, when in reality i was just buff and have big bones.  I lifeguarded the summer when i was seventeen, and at that time i was at the height of my physical fitness, 5'5", 160 pounds, and a size twelve. I cannot even imagine being thinner than that. When i was almost eighteen we moved to a new state and i gained a lot of weight, on the order of fifty pounds, due to stress i guess. That was when i broke 200 pounds. My mother's doctor tested me for thyroid and diabetes but they came back negative. Before the move and after i was working out six days a week doing kickboxing (Tae Bo videos) and that was when i started going to a gym and lifting weights. I lost some of the weight but not all of it.  Over the years i have gradually gained, lost some of what i gained, then maintained, then eventually inexplicably gain again. This has repeated over a decade until i reached 290 pounds.  This last fall i lost some of that weight and right now i'm down to 276. The biggest goal for me is that i never break 300 pounds. I have come to accept that i may never be below 200 ever again but i never want to stop being active.

I had never even heard of a triathlon until i saw the Sydney Olympics on TV. Growing up i used to imagine what it would have been like to be a figure skater or a gymnast but i knew the expense and sacrifice would be enormous. But i knew instantly that i could compete in a triathlon. I just didn't see how it was possible after gaining so much weight. In late 2008 i started the Couch to 5k program on a whim.  After some setbacks i was finally finishing it in April 2009. I knew i needed a new goal, so i just decided to go for it, signed up for a 5k and a Sprint. And two months later i completed my first triathlon.  I was third from last, and borrowing my Mom's bike, but i finished. After that i bought a mountain bike and took a mountain biking class. I was one of the slowest there, too, but i got so ripped. I still weighed nearly the same as when i had started training for the tri but it was a lot more muscle and less fat. Then i pulled a hamstring while running in early 2010. I kept riding my bike around campus and swimming but eventually put training aside to make a concerted effort to graduate from college. I reached that goal in May 2011 and now i want to focus on triathlons again.

family - I am single and working two jobs and still cannot support myself. So i live at home with my parents and five of my six younger siblings. It's less than ideal but i'm paying back my loans and it's better than being homeless. Also, i'm older than everyone thinks i look, partially because the younger set of kids range in age from 8 to 17.  I'm 31, took some time off school between high school and college, and was supporting myself (with roommates) at that time.  It took me seven years to graduate from college (with two semesters off for work and family reasons). I don't know how anyone graduates in four years.  I have one sister two years younger than me and she has a husband and four kids. It's funny how things turn out, she wanted a career, i wanted a family, and here we are.

current training - I just started week one of the training program i originally used. http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdfI'm actually not sure how closely i followed it or if i just used the training schedule as a guideline. I know i continued to use the Cto5k podcasts to run with. Right now it doesn't feel as hard as i was expecting.  I'm starting the Cto5k plan again (in Vibrams this time) and am ready for week two of that.  So my run workout was 30 mins instead of 15. I had bike issues the next day, so yesterday i went to the gym and used a spinning bike and swam 300 instead of 200. My shoulders were feeling it last night and today my glutes were a little sore but i'm not as fatigued or hungry as i would have expected. I should point out that at my job i am currently on my feet for 8-9 hours three days a week. Over Christmas that was 9-10 hours three days a week with a short 7-8 hour day thrown in. This is the same job i had when i was training the first time but back then i was only working 6-7 hour shifts with a longer day on Saturdays. The holiday workload totally destroyed my November attempt to workout and diet at the same time. But i did lose some weight and kept it off.

this year's races - There's a new triathlon in the area this year and the triathlon i competed in four years ago. I want to compete in both of those Sprints (three weeks apart from each other in May and June...is that too close together?). After that i want to start working towards competing in an Olympic length race that's in Las Vegas in October. It it's too early for me to be thinking of an Olympic i still would like to go to the Sprint there. For starters i want to beat my original race time. I don't care about getting on the podium, i'm only competing against my former self.

weight loss - My goal is to lose forty pounds by June and then reevaluate from there. I have been trying to eat smaller portions/meals several times a day. I almost always have to force myself to eat breakfast, but then i get hungry late (say 8-9) and again before bed around midnight. I'm a night owl with insomnia at times. Lately i've been having insomnia and hope the training will help with that. There is no way anyone is ever going to be able to get me to stop eating meat. I love vegetables but i crave red meat when i am in serious training. My biggest enemy is drinking Coke. I have given it up more than once before and not lost any weight but i'm going to try to drastically cut it out of my diet again. Last tri i was pretty much eating everything in sight but buying way more organic than usual. When i try to count calories it makes me think about food all the time. I think i may be hypoglycemic as well, and have always wondered if my metabolism is weird.*  So right now i'm cutting out the junk, i might become more concerned about nutrition in the next couple of weeks.  I imagine i'll be eating a lot of salads and (steamed) "stir fry" in the near future.

*The only time i have ever lost weight by eating less is when lifeguarding. I was too busy to eat that summer and very stressed too. There was one summer i went to a camp where we were running all over the place playing basketball, a nerf football/basketball game, tag, etc. I ate everything in sight and lost a ton. A skirt that i had packed was falling off me at the end of the week. So i have always felt like starving myself does not help me lose weight, it's more exercise.

why this group - It's still open and it looks like (nearly?) everyone here knows what it's like to struggle with their weight. Plus you're turning a hobby into a career, that sounds pretty awesome to me.

2013-02-08 5:22 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hi Krist - Welcome! So glad to have you!

I think it's great that you've set some athletic goals for the year!

Do you have a plan in place for helping you meet your weight loss goals? Your training will certainly help, but you should be thinking about working at it from both ends - reducing calories you consume & increasing calories you burn. You just want to be careful about not reducing TOO much, or your metabolism may actually slow down - and you don't want that!

I noticed you said that you're running in Vibrams now. I tend to prefer no or low drop shoes myself, but I would just caution you against making that shift all at once. If you haven't run in minimalist shoes before, it would be best to gradually switch over from whatever type of shoe you were running in before. Your feet and lower legs have become accustomed to shoes with more padding and support, and it will probably take some time for them to adapt to more minimal shoes. Plenty of people have tried to make the switch all at once and wound up injured, so better to be safe than sorry! When I made the switch (not to vibrams, but to low drop shoes), I started by using the new shoes a few miles per week, and gradually increased the mileage each week until I was doing all of my running in minimal shoes.

We're glad to have you aboard! Feel free to jump right in and ask any questions we can help you with!
2013-02-08 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4613873

User image

Western Slope, Colorado

Do you have a plan in place for helping you meet your weight loss goals? Not yet. Today i'm logging my calories for the first time since right before Thanksgiving. Right now i'm mostly transitioning to eating less fast food (which is far too convenient) and looking for better alternatives. I went to Sprouts last night and was dismayed by prices. I am a girl on a budget. I also want to eat real food, not a bunch of supplements. I feel like many diets are gimmicks since they leave me starving, not losing weight. Let's just say i've not had a pleasant experience and have grown tired of everyone having an opinion about the bestest awesomest way to lose weight that i probably already tried and failed at. So this is one area where i feel i really need guidance but am potentially going to be resistant to change. I was considering finding a diet for weightlifters but i'm not sure if that would well serve and endurance athlete. Though i'm sure some would probably scoff at a Sprint requiring endurance...

Vibram I have always preferred being barefoot and let myself get sucked in to wearing shoes too much over the past few years. I actually have been transitioning to low/no drop over the past year. I went on my first run in some Sprints last April and wore them most of the week to a baseball tournament (as a spectator), took them on vacation and wore them on some hikes, and have worn them to work a few times. I am wearing only low drop shoes to work now since athletic shoes were causing me multiple problems. When i ran in Sprints in November i felt slight fatigue afterward and was taking it easy. When i ran in them this week i felt no fatigue or soreness really so i think i might be ready to wear them for all of my workouts. I do have a back up pair of "normal" running shoes that i can use if my feet and ankles get fatigued. I just bought some KMD Sports and they have a thicker sole and better tread than the Sprints do, so i'm hoping that will be sufficient for me right now. But my mileage has not been consistent over the past year at all, so i am definitely going to be listening to my body as i resume running two or more times a week.

Re: that training program i glanced over it and think i followed its bike plan exactly but was using Cto5k for running and made up my own swim program. That program uses only the front crawl, which is boring too me. I swam the breast stroke more than the crawl my last workout. Sometimes i feel like swimming the back stroke (that was my stroke when i was in high school, came in third once, personal best), i usually like to sidestroke to cool down because i find it to be relaxing and stretches my body in different ways. As i continue my swim workouts i will increase the number of crawl laps i do and reduce the number of breast stroke laps. Right now i am worried the most about keeping my heartrate down, which is the biggest problem when i start swimming laps again. The breast stroke seems to help with that. It's not my strongest stroke but it's less intense and better for breathing.

Any insight you might have on diet would be appreciated. I'm glad to hear that you're not going to shy away from barefoot-like running. What shoes do you use to run in?

2013-02-08 7:15 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
Anybody have any advice on how to get more comfortable or relaxed in the pool? I've had back to back "good" pool days which was encouraging but I'm only able to put together choppy laps. Did 4 today along with drills, but I feel so uncoordinated in the water...
2013-02-08 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I'm hardly the one to be giving advice, but my best swims always happen when I consciously start out slower than i think I should.  Maybe its my getting older, (as it happens with running and biking too), but 150m or so of "relaxed" laps keeps my mind, and therefore my body, much more relaxed than just plowing in right at the start.
2013-02-08 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4615235

User image

Western Slope, Colorado
If i'm feeling sloppy sometimes i will practice my kicks while holding onto the wall or practice my arm motions outside the pool. I agree with starting out slow and relaxed (this works for me with all three legs, i always have to force myself to warm up). But the biggest thing for me when starting out a swim (or anything stressful) is to focus on breathing. I take slow deep breaths and focus on blowing the air out in a steady stream. Finding a rhythm that works for you helps, too. You should never be holding your breath, always take a breath, blow it out, and take another one when you need it. Sometimes this requires me to modify how many strokes i take between breaths. Personally i like to take days where i'm not just swimming the crawl and switch things up with other strokes.  Like maybe i'll practice the backstroke one workout even though i doubt i'll ever use it in a race. For me it's about conditioning and having as much fun as possible. I hated swim team practices where we swam 15 laps solid of the front crawl.
2013-02-08 10:22 PM
in reply to: #4607338

New user

Edited by ltwohy 2013-02-08 10:24 PM
2013-02-08 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4607338

New user

neuronet - 2013-02-04 8:24 AM

I've got some knee pain brewing, mostly when I am going up stairs, and running. It's been about a week, with mild pain but it has been getting worse as I train more. I plan to cut my run time down, and likely bike too, to help heal.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for exercises? I plan to do leg extensions at the gym to strengthen things down there, and am doing half squats too (full squats being bad for the knee).  Stretching too.

I may try to get an appointment with a physical therapist. I wish each day had 28 hours in it!

Edit: got appt with PT for tomorrow morning. Why wait.

Hey there-  just saw your post.  I am a physical therapist and I think you are wise to get some help early before the pain gets any worse.  If you have any additional questions feel free to throw them out there and I can try to answer.  My advice without knowing too much about your issue would be to stretch...a lot of injuries are caused by muscle imbalances...and strengthen your hips/gluts if you can absorb some of the shock at the hips the knees take less of the burden of the pounding from running. Hope you heal quickly. 

2013-02-09 5:10 AM
in reply to: #4614967

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
luinel - 2013-02-08 4:29 PM

Do you have a plan in place for helping you meet your weight loss goals? Not yet. Today i'm logging my calories for the first time since right before Thanksgiving. Right now i'm mostly transitioning to eating less fast food (which is far too convenient) and looking for better alternatives. I went to Sprouts last night and was dismayed by prices. I am a girl on a budget. I also want to eat real food, not a bunch of supplements. I feel like many diets are gimmicks since they leave me starving, not losing weight. Let's just say i've not had a pleasant experience and have grown tired of everyone having an opinion about the bestest awesomest way to lose weight that i probably already tried and failed at. So this is one area where i feel i really need guidance but am potentially going to be resistant to change. I was considering finding a diet for weightlifters but i'm not sure if that would well serve and endurance athlete. Though i'm sure some would probably scoff at a Sprint requiring endurance...

Vibram I have always preferred being barefoot and let myself get sucked in to wearing shoes too much over the past few years. I actually have been transitioning to low/no drop over the past year. I went on my first run in some Sprints last April and wore them most of the week to a baseball tournament (as a spectator), took them on vacation and wore them on some hikes, and have worn them to work a few times. I am wearing only low drop shoes to work now since athletic shoes were causing me multiple problems. When i ran in Sprints in November i felt slight fatigue afterward and was taking it easy. When i ran in them this week i felt no fatigue or soreness really so i think i might be ready to wear them for all of my workouts. I do have a back up pair of "normal" running shoes that i can use if my feet and ankles get fatigued. I just bought some KMD Sports and they have a thicker sole and better tread than the Sprints do, so i'm hoping that will be sufficient for me right now. But my mileage has not been consistent over the past year at all, so i am definitely going to be listening to my body as i resume running two or more times a week.

Re: that training program i glanced over it and think i followed its bike plan exactly but was using Cto5k for running and made up my own swim program. That program uses only the front crawl, which is boring too me. I swam the breast stroke more than the crawl my last workout. Sometimes i feel like swimming the back stroke (that was my stroke when i was in high school, came in third once, personal best), i usually like to sidestroke to cool down because i find it to be relaxing and stretches my body in different ways. As i continue my swim workouts i will increase the number of crawl laps i do and reduce the number of breast stroke laps. Right now i am worried the most about keeping my heartrate down, which is the biggest problem when i start swimming laps again. The breast stroke seems to help with that. It's not my strongest stroke but it's less intense and better for breathing.

Any insight you might have on diet would be appreciated. I'm glad to hear that you're not going to shy away from barefoot-like running. What shoes do you use to run in?

Hey Kristi,

I think you're on the right track. Eating "real food" is definitely a good place to start. The more processed foods you can get rid of, the better off I think you'll be. "Diets" are not the answer - IMO, you need to change your mindset on how you approach food, and make it a life decision - not a "diet" you'll follow for a few months then go back to whatever you were doing before...

Slow and steady weight-loss is more healthy for you, and you're more likely to maintain a lower body weight if you take it off gradually. You should keep in mind that your weight loss goal is pretty ambitious - you're looking at trying to drop an average of two pounds per week. Not impossible, but I wouldn't want you to get discouraged if it doesn't happen as quickly as you'd like. Remember, it took years for you to arrive where you are now, it may take some time to get your weight back down - but you can definitely do it!!

So - a few things that might help:

* Find a way to track calories in vs calories out that works for you. There are lots of options online. I've used FitDay in the past, but you might find another that you like better... Log EVERYTHING you eat - weigh and measure food if you can manage so you have a closer idea of how many calories you're taking in. If you do use FitDay, for the "calories out" side of the equation, make sure you input how much sleep you get each day (if you don't, it will default to assuming you're "awake" for 24 hours, and you burn more calories when you're awake than when you sleep). I usually set my activity level to "sedentary" as the baseline, then added every individual workout. That formula seemed to work well for me. You want to try to shoot to take in ~ about 500 - 1,000 calorie per day than you burn. 1000 calorie deficit is hard, and may leave you feeling pretty hungry - so you might want to start closer to 500.

* Eat smaller, more frequent meals and/or snacks. When I'm doing more serious training, I shoot for a balance of ~ 50-60% carbohydrates with the remainder fairly evenly split between fats & protein.

* Higher fiber foods and foods with some protein and or healthy fats (nuts, olive oil, avocados, fish oil, etc.) will leave you feeling fuller longer.

* Allow yourself periodic "cheat" days where you can eat whatever you want... It helps you feel less like you're depriving yourself...

* Drink plenty of water.

* Limit the amount you eat late in the day.

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas to start with!

Re: my shoes, I'm currently running in Brooks Pure Connect. They're low drop, but have a bit thicker sole than some minimalist shoes, which I like for running on pavement....
2013-02-09 5:19 AM
in reply to: #4615235

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tygr_tri - 2013-02-08 8:15 PM

Anybody have any advice on how to get more comfortable or relaxed in the pool? I've had back to back "good" pool days which was encouraging but I'm only able to put together choppy laps. Did 4 today along with drills, but I feel so uncoordinated in the water...

Angie - have you had any lessons at all? When it comes to swimming, form is key... And it can be hard to correct form errors yourself if you're not sure what the problem is.

Short of lessons, you might consider buying a Total Immersion book and/or video. The TI system is pretty effective at helping develop a more balanced, relaxed position in the water, and that can go a long way toward improving your swim efficiency.
2013-02-09 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4615457

User image

Baton Rouge
jsnowash - 2013-02-09 5:19 AM
tygr_tri - 2013-02-08 8:15 PMAnybody have any advice on how to get more comfortable or relaxed in the pool? I've had back to back "good" pool days which was encouraging but I'm only able to put together choppy laps. Did 4 today along with drills, but I feel so uncoordinated in the water...
Angie - have you had any lessons at all? When it comes to swimming, form is key... And it can be hard to correct form errors yourself if you're not sure what the problem is. Short of lessons, you might consider buying a Total Immersion book and/or video. The TI system is pretty effective at helping develop a more balanced, relaxed position in the water, and that can go a long way toward improving your swim efficiency.
I'm taking lessons now 3 days a week(Thurs/Fri/Sat), 45min long each lesson. I'm only like week 2 into lessons and I have noticed a positive change this week. I think I'm just used to picking up athletic "things" quicker than I'm picking up swimming. There's soooo much to think about and I get a bit overwhelmed. I will check out the total immersion system. Thanks.
2013-02-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4615373

User image

Veteran

ltwohy - 2013-02-08 10:29 PM

Hey there-  just saw your post.  I am a physical therapist and I think you are wise to get some help early before the pain gets any worse.  If you have any additional questions feel free to throw them out there and I can try to answer.  My advice without knowing too much about your issue would be to stretch...a lot of injuries are caused by muscle imbalances...and strengthen your hips/gluts if you can absorb some of the shock at the hips the knees take less of the burden of the pounding from running. Hope you heal quickly. 

Thanks a lot for the response. I saw a good PT last week, who basically has me working on glutes/hips with resistance bands As you suggested!

This is counterintuitive, so it is good to see your explanation for why this  might be a useful strategy. My knees haven't been getting worse, maybe a tiny bit better. He's going to look at my running mechanics this Tuesday, which should be interesting.

2013-02-10 8:34 AM

Ok, hope it isn't too late too join your group but that comment on " total immersion" really hit home for me. I am 50 years old; used to be somewhat in shape (xcountry, tennis) but was a lousy swimmer. I was in remedial swimming all 4 years at the AF Academy. I found a total immersion video and got excited enough to set some tri goals. Doing minis this year, Olys next year, 70s in 2015, with my sight set on the Cozumel 140 in 2016. I started running a bit but got a calf sprain and am TRYING to stay off until it heals (really frustrating)! Any advice on helping that recover any faster? In the meantime, I'm swimming using the TI METHOD. I love how they initially show you how to relax and breath in the water. When I started I could go about 40 meters before running down, out of breath and energy. Yesterday I swam for 1350 yds. Still working on making a smaller hole in the water but I am getting more relaxed. Still having problems getting into a breathing rhythm and any small splash in the pool throws me off. A 2.4 mile open water swim scares the heck out of me. Any training tips for open water swimming especially with a lot of splashing and kicking initially?I'm also really interested in the heart rate training plans but can't make up my mind on a heart rate monitor. Are there any you like more than others that are specifically useful for all three phases of a tri? Also which training program would you recommend would work real well with the HRM and a couch potato trying to get back in shape to do a 140 in 3 years ?Lastly, do you recommend a strict diet of run, swim, bike or do you also do some cross training, eg weights, yoga, etc.Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations!Perry

2013-02-10 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4596756

Sorry it took so long to reply. I plan on doing an April sprint (somewhere in Texas) and then doubling down on the Route 66 Sprint (Sat., June 1) and Oly (Sun., the 2nd). This would be my first Olympic distance race. Do you think it would be wise to do it back to back with the sprint? Also, do you know much about the tri-rock series and would you reccomend them? Thanks for your time and i hope your training is going well. 
2013-02-10 1:05 PM

Hi Jenny:

Did an indoor tri this morning. It felt awesome! I put my results on my training log. Hope you're having a good weekend.

Lisa 

2013-02-10 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4616366

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

barrykristi - 2013-02-10 12:11 PM Sorry it took so long to reply. I plan on doing an April sprint (somewhere in Texas) and then doubling down on the Route 66 Sprint (Sat., June 1) and Oly (Sun., the 2nd). This would be my first Olympic distance race. Do you think it would be wise to do it back to back with the sprint? Also, do you know much about the tri-rock series and would you reccomend them? Thanks for your time and i hope your training is going well. 

Hey Barry, you live in Texas?  If so, what region?

North Central myself (South DFW).  I do triathlon's all over DWF, the Hill Country, even Montgomery, just North of Houston.

2013-02-10 7:55 PM

Hi all, Just an exciting update! I GOT A BIKE!!!! I was able to find an awesome deal on a norco road bike (I'm in Canada) that fits like a charm! I just took it out for the first ride today and did am easy cruise around for an hour in the beautiful sunshine it was fabulous I am also thinking about signing up for a sprint distance in march as my first triathlon.

Hope everyone is enjoying their training

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 18