BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-01-27 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

NAME: Yvonne

STORY: Turned 40, did my first tri oct 2011, sprint rambling rose and was hooked. i have officially completed my first year of triathlon, sadly got rained out of the rambling rose this past october (and darn it i think i could have won! lol). I did 4 sprint triathlons and many 5ks this last 12-16 months. Did a half marathon w team in training in 2006, so much fun. But got injured training for the next two events, first stress fracture in rgt tibia, then later one in left foot, then eventually one in right foot. So thought maybe tri would be better and so far it has been. I'm now in the middle of training for the nc half marathon in charlotte this march and the aches are starting so I'm working with PT to deal with shin splints and hopefully avoiding stress fractures. Got a new road bike Last christmas, first ever, clip less pedals and all, so I'm finally getting the hang of that and had my inaugural, falling while standing still but still clipped in, moment so I'm good now.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, 8 & 10 yo girls, both have done several tris. They are rock stars and my youngest, especially, is a natural triathlete. They've done 5 or so youth tris so far. My dh is also on board to tri a sprint this April. Working really hard to get the whole family on a healthier path with running and triathlons.

CURRENT TRAINING: 1/2 marathon Jeff galloway program, consistently training 3 x week, but need to up this and get back to more s/b/r. Have gained about 15 pounds that needs to go, seems like an endless cycle with me.

2013 RACES: NC half marathon charlotte speedway in march, expedition Everest 5k trail adventure race disney may, Smithfield triathlon April , muddy buddy Richmond April, shamrock 8k march, rev 3 sprint Sandusky, ramblin rose October and more but I'm still planning

2012 RACES: Azalea Sprint Tri (done!),Shamrock 8K (done!), Girls Run the World Sprint (done!), First in Flight 5K April 21(done), Warrior dash in may(done), Tower of Terror 5k Disney in Sept.(done) Ramblin Rose in oct. (started, but cancelled) many other 5ks

2011 RACES: Rambling rose sprint tri oct 2011 - my first one!

WEIGHTLOSS: Have lost 35 lbs in the last 14 months, gained some back, need to start logging food again!

WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP: I love BT! Totally addicted! I'm reading all the posts, everything, and spending way too much time on this site lol. I find it really helpful to stay motivated by reading about everyone's journey and all the diverse backgrounds. I don't know many people locally so I use you all as virtual training buddies.

Yvonne

2013-01-27 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4596271

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
DaDooRunRun - 2013-01-27 6:15 AM

I'm off to my Indoor Tri. 

I.

Will.

Not.

Panic.

Go Jax!! I bet you're swimming as I type this!! And flippin the switch!! I can't wait to hear about it!

2013-01-27 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran

I.

Did.

Not.

Panic.

Woooooooooo Hoooooooo!!

Huge milestone for me!!  It was a great race.  20 minutes each leg, go as far as you can.  I did 725 yards in the pool, about 7.25 miles on the bike and about 2.25 miles on the track.  Felt good.  The swim was no problem at all...I didn't even feel panic start to rise.  I'm cautiously optimistic that I might be getting past the panic issue.  Yay!  I feel really good about what I did today and now I just can't wait for the Carmel Sprint Triathlon in April.  I want to build on this confidence.  Yippee!!

Jax

2013-01-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4596482

User image

Master
St. Louis
DaDooRunRun - 2013-01-27 10:31 AM

I.

Did.

Not.

Panic.

Woooooooooo Hoooooooo!!

Huge milestone for me!!  It was a great race.  20 minutes each leg, go as far as you can.  I did 725 yards in the pool, about 7.25 miles on the bike and about 2.25 miles on the track.  Felt good.  The swim was no problem at all...I didn't even feel panic start to rise.  I'm cautiously optimistic that I might be getting past the panic issue.  Yay!  I feel really good about what I did today and now I just can't wait for the Carmel Sprint Triathlon in April.  I want to build on this confidence.  Yippee!!

Jax

Woohoo! That's awesome!
2013-01-27 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4595843

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2013-01-26 3:15 PM

jmholzman - 2013-01-25 9:54 PM

I swam a 25:20 1500 today.  I am very excited about this, that is a great improvement for me over where I was last year.  I know the pool is not the same as open water, but still.  I'm thrilled with that time.

Of course, after I finished the coach told me that my kick is so inefficient that I'd be better off just doing 1500 pull and keeping my legs straight behind me.  Gave me some pointers, got stuff to work on.

Yes not the same as open water. BUT you might find with a wetsuit on, and being able to draft off of others that  your time might actually be BETTER in open water.   SO there is some good news there.     Swimming straight  (sighting) is HUGE   There are many times I recall in Tri's where I have been concentrating on great technique, only to look up  to see where I am at, and I'm all off course.   There can be real hilarity with this.   

So to me,   pool time=open water time.     But you do need to practice open water.   The wave action can really throw you off.       Mike  remember that swim warm up we did in Green Bay?   LOL  funny stuff that was.  

The only thing I remember about all three warm ups was that I was struggling to keep up with you :-)

The other thing I remember was that three days before the race, the water was upper 60's then two days before the race there was some sort of inversion after a storm and the water was mid 50's! Yikes. The the day before the race it was back up to upper 60's.
2013-01-27 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4596308

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-01-27 7:15 AM

NAME: Yvonne

STORY: Turned 40, did my first tri oct 2011, sprint rambling rose and was hooked. i have officially completed my first year of triathlon, sadly got rained out of the rambling rose this past october (and darn it i think i could have won! lol). I did 4 sprint triathlons and many 5ks this last 12-16 months. Did a half marathon w team in training in 2006, so much fun. But got injured training for the next two events, first stress fracture in rgt tibia, then later one in left foot, then eventually one in right foot. So thought maybe tri would be better and so far it has been. I'm now in the middle of training for the nc half marathon in charlotte this march and the aches are starting so I'm working with PT to deal with shin splints and hopefully avoiding stress fractures. Got a new road bike Last christmas, first ever, clip less pedals and all, so I'm finally getting the hang of that and had my inaugural, falling while standing still but still clipped in, moment so I'm good now.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, 8 & 10 yo girls, both have done several tris. They are rock stars and my youngest, especially, is a natural triathlete. They've done 5 or so youth tris so far. My dh is also on board to tri a sprint this April. Working really hard to get the whole family on a healthier path with running and triathlons.

CURRENT TRAINING: 1/2 marathon Jeff galloway program, consistently training 3 x week, but need to up this and get back to more s/b/r. Have gained about 15 pounds that needs to go, seems like an endless cycle with me.

2013 RACES: NC half marathon charlotte speedway in march, expedition Everest 5k trail adventure race disney may, Smithfield triathlon April , muddy buddy Richmond April, shamrock 8k march, rev 3 sprint Sandusky, ramblin rose October and more but I'm still planning

2012 RACES: Azalea Sprint Tri (done!),Shamrock 8K (done!), Girls Run the World Sprint (done!), First in Flight 5K April 21(done), Warrior dash in may(done), Tower of Terror 5k Disney in Sept.(done) Ramblin Rose in oct. (started, but cancelled) many other 5ks

2011 RACES: Rambling rose sprint tri oct 2011 - my first one!

WEIGHTLOSS: Have lost 35 lbs in the last 14 months, gained some back, need to start logging food again!

WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP: I love BT! Totally addicted! I'm reading all the posts, everything, and spending way too much time on this site lol. I find it really helpful to stay motivated by reading about everyone's journey and all the diverse backgrounds. I don't know many people locally so I use you all as virtual training buddies.

Yvonne

Welcome Yvonne!

2013-01-27 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
2013-01-27 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4595588

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2013-01-26 11:36 AM

I'm in! Been MIA due to family emergency and having to go back home for a week but all is well now. 

Must get back in the swing of things!

Yvonne

Welcome back!!!!!

2013-01-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4585704

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

cadnams - 2013-01-18 11:53 PM Here's my first question for the group. When swimming I pretty much just jump in the pool and swim laps. I don't really vary it, and I don't do speed work or anything like that. Should be approaching it differently...?

Hey Chris, if you would be interested and/or if it would be helpful, I can post my Masters workouts.  You'll see there is a lot of variation, and a lot of speed workout, but also a lot of focus on technique.  Staying long and efficient.  The workouts are great, but I also highly recommend joining a Masters like program or something where a coach can watch you and help you out with technique.  Little tweaks here and there make a huge difference.

2013-01-27 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
DaDooRunRun - 2013-01-27 11:31 AM

I.

Did.

Not.

Panic.

Woooooooooo Hoooooooo!!

Jax

Way to go JAX! So proud of you...this is it, no more panic, just swimming!! You go girl!

2013-01-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4594206

User image

Veteran

Chris,

I'm 5'9" and I ride a 54cm.  I think the old stand by was the top tube should be approximately 1 inch from your groin. But there are other factors too.  My understanding of a bike "fit" is it adjusts the handle bars, seat post height, seat position to your body dimensions for the most efficiency.

I am actually taking my bike in the next few days or so to get it "fitted" at a bike shop that charges to do the fit.  Some shops will do that.  Oh, and it takes about 2 hours to completely get it correct from what I'm told.

Tom

2013-01-27 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
DaDooRunRun - 2013-01-27 11:31 AM

I.

Did.

Not.

Panic.

Woooooooooo Hoooooooo!!

Jax

WAY TO GO JAX!!

2013-01-27 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4596607

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Great job, Jax!  Congratulations!
2013-01-27 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4596765

User image

Shreveport
Thanks for the info Tom. As I research, I've found that choosing the correct frame size is fairly easy. Just measuring inseam and height from top of shoulder to the ground. As for the "fit" I understand it to be as you describe and I realize that I will have to have that professionally done. I just want to start off on the right foot.Thanks again,Chris
2013-01-27 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Nice job, Jax! I never doubted for a minute that you'd do it!!

Looks like everyone is working hard, except me. This weekend was our local Mardi Gras parade...and then I had to go hang out at the beach since it was in the 70s. Oh, sorry! Most of y'all are freezing up north, aren't you!! Don't worry, you can get me back during the summer when it's about 1000 degrees outside or there's a hurricane rolling through my back yard.

2013-01-27 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Nicely Done Jax!!!       I am months away from first Race of the year, although kicking around the idea of doing a 5K next weekend.

2013-01-27 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Way to go Jax!     c'mon you know you are a BadA$$!!!!  :-)
2013-01-27 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4596514

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ransick - 2013-01-27 11:08 AM
oriolepwr - 2013-01-26 3:15 PM
jmholzman - 2013-01-25 9:54 PM

I swam a 25:20 1500 today.  I am very excited about this, that is a great improvement for me over where I was last year.  I know the pool is not the same as open water, but still.  I'm thrilled with that time.

Of course, after I finished the coach told me that my kick is so inefficient that I'd be better off just doing 1500 pull and keeping my legs straight behind me.  Gave me some pointers, got stuff to work on.

Yes not the same as open water. BUT you might find with a wetsuit on, and being able to draft off of others that  your time might actually be BETTER in open water.   SO there is some good news there.     Swimming straight  (sighting) is HUGE   There are many times I recall in Tri's where I have been concentrating on great technique, only to look up  to see where I am at, and I'm all off course.   There can be real hilarity with this.   

So to me,   pool time=open water time.     But you do need to practice open water.   The wave action can really throw you off.       Mike  remember that swim warm up we did in Green Bay?   LOL  funny stuff that was.  

The only thing I remember about all three warm ups was that I was struggling to keep up with you :-) The other thing I remember was that three days before the race, the water was upper 60's then two days before the race there was some sort of inversion after a storm and the water was mid 50's! Yikes. The the day before the race it was back up to upper 60's.

That was a fun weekend  Mike.   And um you kicked my butt in the Swim as I recall. 

2013-01-28 4:27 PM

Is there still an open spot in this group? It was listed as open. I hope so! Sounds like some great people!!
2013-01-28 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4593421

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
oriolepwr - 2013-01-24 2:19 PM

While its best to have lots of time on the bike,  quality time matters.   So wear a heart rate monitor and go hard.    I believe a 20 mile effort that takes about an hour to complete is worth more, than a 40 mile effort done at much lower intensity.     Really  I feel the same way about running.  The faster you run, the faster you will get.   Yes its NOT advised to run that hard usually,  as you may find yourself injured without a good base to work from.

The bike is much more forgiving that way.  You can go hard from the get go, and still come back the next day and be able to go hard again.   So maybe you do not need as much time as you think? 

I've been wondering about that for awhile.  The whole building a base thing is how I've always trained, but it has always felt sluggish.  Is that primarily to avoid injury?  If I'm already in good shape heading into let's say 10-14 weeks away from a tri is it necessary to start off with a 6-8 week base building time period?  Or is the idea to basically run or bike as hard/intense as you can without injuring yourself?  My first tri of the year is in April, and it's an oly, but I have no doubt I could do it today if I wanted to, I just wouldn't be as fast as I know I can be.  I want to do whatever I can to perform the best that I can.  My plan had been to keep things basically aerobic for the next month or so and then after that insert 1-2 higher intensity run and bike workouts per week with a brick/week thrown in.  Am I cheating myself?  Should I just be running and biking as hard as I can at this point, given that I can already do the distances themselves?  I will need to build up to the HIM distances for my race later in the year, but for this race in April I can already do the distances, I just want to do them faster - individually and together.

If my run plan for this week is Tuesday - 3 miles, Thursday - 4, Saturday - 3, Sunday 6, my initial plan (per the typical base building phase) had me running all those very slowly to stay under that aerobic line.  Somewhere around the 10-10:30min/mile pace.  But I can run them significantly faster than that without fear of injury.  Should I just run them as fast as I can without injury and then at some point start to throw sprint/hill/stair workouts into the mix too?  Or can I throw those in now as well?  Same question for the bike.

2013-01-28 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4598561

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
jmholzman - 2013-01-29 10:38 AM

While its best to have lots of time on the bike,  quality time matters.   So wear a heart rate monitor and go hard.    I believe a 20 mile effort that takes about an hour to complete is worth more, than a 40 mile effort done at much lower intensity.     Really  I feel the same way about running.  The faster you run, the faster you will get.   Yes its NOT advised to run that hard usually,  as you may find yourself injured without a good base to work from.

The bike is much more forgiving that way.  You can go hard from the get go, and still come back the next day and be able to go hard again.   So maybe you do not need as much time as you think? 

I've been wondering about that for awhile.  The whole building a base thing is how I've always trained, but it has always felt sluggish.  Is that primarily to avoid injury?  If I'm already in good shape heading into let's say 10-14 weeks away from a tri is it necessary to start off with a 6-8 week base building time period?  Or is the idea to basically run or bike as hard/intense as you can without injuring yourself?  My first tri of the year is in April, and it's an oly, but I have no doubt I could do it today if I wanted to, I just wouldn't be as fast as I know I can be.  I want to do whatever I can to perform the best that I can.  My plan had been to keep things basically aerobic for the next month or so and then after that insert 1-2 higher intensity run and bike workouts per week with a brick/week thrown in.  Am I cheating myself?  Should I just be running and biking as hard as I can at this point, given that I can already do the distances themselves?  I will need to build up to the HIM distances for my race later in the year, but for this race in April I can already do the distances, I just want to do them faster - individually and together.

If my run plan for this week is Tuesday - 3 miles, Thursday - 4, Saturday - 3, Sunday 6, my initial plan (per the typical base building phase) had me running all those very slowly to stay under that aerobic line.  Somewhere around the 10-10:30min/mile pace.  But I can run them significantly faster than that without fear of injury.  Should I just run them as fast as I can without injury and then at some point start to throw sprint/hill/stair workouts into the mix too?  Or can I throw those in now as well?  Same question for the bike.

I'm also really interested in the answer this question. I really feel like I am short changing my time/effort by doing training sessions at a lower intensity level. I don't want to be sprinting all the time, but I want to get as much out of my training time as I can.

2013-01-28 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4596692

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
jmholzman - 2013-01-28 7:26 AM

cadnams - 2013-01-18 11:53 PM Here's my first question for the group. When swimming I pretty much just jump in the pool and swim laps. I don't really vary it, and I don't do speed work or anything like that. Should be approaching it differently...?

Hey Chris, if you would be interested and/or if it would be helpful, I can post my Masters workouts.  You'll see there is a lot of variation, and a lot of speed workout, but also a lot of focus on technique.  Staying long and efficient.  The workouts are great, but I also highly recommend joining a Masters like program or something where a coach can watch you and help you out with technique.  Little tweaks here and there make a huge difference.

Thanks Joe, that would be awesome!

I am also going to get some swim coaching because after a little bit of research I have figured out my technique needs some serious attention. I reckon I should be able to swim much faster than I am now with my current fitness level.

2013-01-28 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4598639

User image

Master
St. Louis
cadnams - 2013-01-28 6:44 PM

jmholzman - 2013-01-29 10:38 AM

I'm also really interested in the answer this question. I really feel like I am short changing my time/effort by doing training sessions at a lower intensity level. I don't want to be sprinting all the time, but I want to get as much out of my training time as I can.

I wouldn't recommend going out and going as hard as you can with each workout. That increases the risk of injury and going hard when you are exhausted before you start won't do any good. I recommend finding a plan here on BT or somewhere else and following it. It will most likely have some long slow efforts, some efforts with a warm up, some higher intensity work then a cool down, and some tempo work. I checked out the BT plans, Trinewbies.com plans and a couple others and picked the one I liked. I'm interested in Dave's opinion as well.
2013-01-28 6:55 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
DaDooRunRun - 2013-01-28 3:31 AM

I.

Did.

Not.

Panic.

Woooooooooo Hoooooooo!!

Jax

That's awesome Jax! You must be stoked. Getting over the panic will put a whole new spin on racing. Now you can just go out there and smash it!

2013-01-28 7:11 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

I wanted to ask everyone about training over the longer term. Where I live, the local tri season will be over pretty soon, and there will be no events until November. I am keen to know how I should be approaching training between April and November. Most of the training program I've looked at are 16 week programs aimed at a particular event.

My aims are pretty simple:

I want to complete an Oly (preferably without killing myself)
I want to get faster at the Sprints
And I would one day like to complete a 70.3 but it does not need to be soon.

I am never likely to compete against anyone but myself, and most of my motivation comes from completing the tri rather than being fast.

Any tips on how to approach next season would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
Chrispy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30