BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-09 5:41 AM
in reply to: #4725832

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

Scrolled through these and noticed a lot of people fairly green to swimming, but didn't notice if anyone had posted the link to the 0-to-1650 in six weeks site: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

It's probably the best site for beginner workouts. You'll see a lot of references to it on this web site. The first set of workouts does exactly what it says, gets a person from not swimming regularly to swimming a mile in six weeks. I've done it as have many others. It really works!

I swim a lot and think that a triathlete needs to be able to swim a mile, even if their event is only a sprint of 400 yards. Open water is very different from a pool - the lack of a stripe on the bottom makes it hard to swim straight, so the distance may be marked as 400 but you'll really swim like 500 or more.

Also, if you can swim a mile, you'll have a lot more confidence that you can conquer the shorter distance, and confidence is very important.

2013-05-09 6:04 AM
in reply to: #4734393

User image

RZ0 - 2013-05-09 6:41 AM

Scrolled through these and noticed a lot of people fairly green to swimming, but didn't notice if anyone had posted the link to the 0-to-1650 in six weeks site: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

It's probably the best site for beginner workouts. You'll see a lot of references to it on this web site. The first set of workouts does exactly what it says, gets a person from not swimming regularly to swimming a mile in six weeks. I've done it as have many others. It really works!

I swim a lot and think that a triathlete needs to be able to swim a mile, even if their event is only a sprint of 400 yards. Open water is very different from a pool - the lack of a stripe on the bottom makes it hard to swim straight, so the distance may be marked as 400 but you'll really swim like 500 or more.

Also, if you can swim a mile, you'll have a lot more confidence that you can conquer the shorter distance, and confidence is very important.

thanks for that link! i may give that a go when my pool opens back up. I may need to work up to that first week however. as of now Im happy to swim 100yrds with out a break. I doubt i can do 4x 100yrds with small breaks between. Will push my self to see what Im capable of. Probably not my next swim but hopefully soon!
2013-05-09 6:09 AM

User image

Another swim related question. When can i start open water training without a wet suit! i hate touching the wall every 20yrds Im the gyms small lap pool. I am in central Kentucky and know the water is water is way to cold now. But what temp is a good temp to start tswimming with out a wet suit? Parents live on a river that would be good to train in.

Edited by corbetjackson50 2013-05-09 6:45 AM
2013-05-09 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4734024

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Rnay225 - 2013-05-08 8:26 PM

KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-07 11:26 PM I just went through my second degree as well, and I will start grad school in August.  What program are you in?

I'll be at Texas Woman's University for a BS in Nutrition with an emphasis in Dietetics. What are you studying?

Hey Rennay! I'm a Dietetics student too! Love your blog

2013-05-09 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4734413

User image

Extreme Veteran

corbetjackson50 - 2013-05-09 6:09 AM Another swim related question. When can i start open water training without a wet suit! i hate touching the wall every 20yrds Im the gyms small lap pool. I am in central Kentucky and know the water is water is way to cold now. But what temp is a good temp to start tswimming with out a wet suit? Parents live on a river that would be good to train in.

Corbet, be careful with taking to open water to soon, especially a river becuase they have currents, even if you can't see it.  I would say to make sure you are comfortable in your ability, and I will never suggest open water swimming by yourself.  If you are open water swimming you need to have someone with you.  As far a water temp. is right to start swimming without a wetsuit is relative to each individual and alot of times the location they live.  I'm from Texas and therefore not very use to cold weather, therefore I'm not crazy about cold water.  I can tell you that one tri I did without a wetsuit the water temp was 65 on race morning and I did it without one.  It took my breath away for the first 100 but was only a 500 yard swim.  I can tell you if it was a longer swim I would have wanted a wetsuit on.  Like I said, you will get different temps from everyone, but I think wetsuit rules are a pretty good mark for most people:

• Wetsuits are permitted if the water temperature is up to (and including) 76.1  degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) or colder.

• Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 83.8 degrees  Fahrenheit (28.8 degrees Celsius).

• Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between 76.1  degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) and 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.8  degrees Celsius) will not be eligible for Age Group awards, including World  Championship slots or Rolldown slots.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/ironman-70.3/racine/athletes/faqs.aspx#ixzz2Snbwyif7

2013-05-09 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4734502

User image

Yes i would never swim without someone sitting on the dock at the minimum. I used to swim across the river and back often. Probably around 200-250 yards. I need to improve my fitness before i venture out to the open water for sure. I won't get to far from the dock the first couple times. But it sure would be nice to do 100yard laps opposed to 20.

2013-05-09 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4734393

User image

I like the idea of this - however my first trip to the pool I had myself convinced that it HAD to be 100yards in length as I could barely finish two lengths (1 lap) without drowning. Come to find out the pool is 25 yards :/

Thats what convinced me to sign up for a lesson. I had my first lesson last night and we focused on gliding and positioning (both head/body) drills. Went to the pool this morning and while still not ready for the 0 to 1650 I am feeling more comfortable in the water with each trip. I think in my case it is just going to require some time.

The feeling I have in the water right now is very reminiscent to how I felt on the run during the first month of couch to 5k.

The author of 0to1650 also has a preamble which baby steps you to 700 first...

http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

Jason
2013-05-09 8:41 AM

User image

New user

Colorado
I too am a very new swimmer. My first swim workout will be today, so I appreciate the information and links.

I have been biking for a few years but am just now about to make the switch to clip in pedals. Any suggestions to make the transition easier?
2013-05-09 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Hi,
I am new to the group. I will post my bio as soon as I am at my desk again.
So excited!!

Lovey
2013-05-09 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kara, I don't know if you have a trainer, but it is the best place to practice clipping in and out without worrying about falling over.  The next option would be to find a larger, flat area (Empty parking lot) and just practice clippling in one foot, starting off, clipping in the other foot, and then practice unclipped onr side, then the other, and coming to a stop.  You will realize pretty quickly what it requires and also whether or not the tension on the clip needs to be tightened or loosened.  Once you do get going and on the road the day will come that you will look away or down and find yourself dropping off the edge of the road, Do Not Panic.  The best way to handle it is usually to stay clipped in and ride it out until you can safely unclip and stop.  Think of it like a blowout on your car, never slam on the brakes or panic.  I hope this has helped you.
2013-05-09 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4734546

User image

New user
Usulsuspct - 2013-05-09 9:14 AM

I like the idea of this - however my first trip to the pool I had myself convinced that it HAD to be 100yards in length as I could barely finish two lengths (1 lap) without drowning. Come to find out the pool is 25 yards :/ Thats what convinced me to sign up for a lesson. I had my first lesson last night and we focused on gliding and positioning (both head/body) drills. Went to the pool this morning and while still not ready for the 0 to 1650 I am feeling more comfortable in the water with each trip. I think in my case it is just going to require some time. The feeling I have in the water right now is very reminiscent to how I felt on the run during the first month of couch to 5k. The author of 0to1650 also has a preamble which baby steps you to 700 first... http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.htmlJason

I just finished a beginner swim class in April and the verdict is that I need remedial beginners swimming (I have to laugh at this to keep motivated Laughing). The next class at my pool doesnt start until May 20th. I was trying to just practice what we learned, but I'm getting no where fast. Glad to hear that a private lesson helped. Off to research if that's an option and cost...

Oh, and thanks for the links to ruthkazez. Good stuff!

2013-05-09 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4735063

User image

While mine is not a private lesson it is an adult group lesson however the "group" is only another person and myself so the coaches essentially are giving us their full attention and might as well be a "private" lesson. It is at my local Y cost was super reasonable <$100 for like 8 once a week classes.

Too soon to tell how much of a help it will be, time will tell that. I am guessing that just getting to the pool 3x a week will do as much for me as the lessons.
2013-05-09 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dawn, hang in there and stay positive.  I will also tell you that I don't think you were on the wrong path by going and working on what you learned.  It is still time in the pool, working towards your goal, and a good cardio workout.  I can tell you that for me it took going right at 3 x a week for a couple months before I started to see a real difference in my cardio endurance and times.
2013-05-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4735171

User image

New user

Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-09 1:39 PM Dawn, hang in there and stay positive.  I will also tell you that I don't think you were on the wrong path by going and working on what you learned.  It is still time in the pool, working towards your goal, and a good cardio workout.  I can tell you that for me it took going right at 3 x a week for a couple months before I started to see a real difference in my cardio endurance and times.

Thanks! 3 x week is what I'm committed to. I will learn how to swim and swim well! {<--on repeat in my head}

2013-05-09 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4735259

User image

iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-09 2:29 PM

Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-09 1:39 PM Dawn, hang in there and stay positive.  I will also tell you that I don't think you were on the wrong path by going and working on what you learned.  It is still time in the pool, working towards your goal, and a good cardio workout.  I can tell you that for me it took going right at 3 x a week for a couple months before I started to see a real difference in my cardio endurance and times.

Thanks! 3 x week is what I'm committed to. I will learn how to swim and swim well! {<--on repeat in my head}

Might as well add "and enjoy it"!!!

--at least thats what I am hoping works for me

:D
2013-05-09 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Dawn, I also found this to help me pass the time and enjoy swimming a little more.

Interval 4G Waterproof Headphone System

H20 Audio - You just pop your I-Pod Suffle inside it, attach it to your googles and swim to your favorite songs.  I can tell you that it really helped me stay motiviated in the pool.

2013-05-09 2:30 PM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

OK, need some advice.

The Aquatics woman from the YMCA e-mail me back to let me know that they will not be offering a 7-week group stroke clinic due to lack of interest. She did offer me (3) 30 minute private lessons for the same price as the clinic ($65). The lessons are usually $30 for 30min so I guess I am getting a deal.

She said they may offer the clinic again over the summer. I guess I am do the 3 lessons and then strike out on my own. What do you guys think?

2013-05-09 2:40 PM

User image

New user

Colorado
Thank you for the pedal advice Todd!
2013-05-09 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4735372

User image

MJSolt - 2013-05-09 3:30 PM

OK, need some advice.

The Aquatics woman from the YMCA e-mail me back to let me know that they will not be offering a 7-week group stroke clinic due to lack of interest. She did offer me (3) 30 minute private lessons for the same price as the clinic ($65). The lessons are usually $30 for 30min so I guess I am getting a deal.

She said they may offer the clinic again over the summer. I guess I am do the 3 lessons and then strike out on my own. What do you guys think?

I got the same line from my Y regarding lack of interest and private lessons (however mine were priced at $50 / half hour vs $87 for the entire session.) I debated on what I would get more from and the conclusion I came to was it really depended on the coach and your ability / scheduling to cram as much practice in between sessions.

My first one hour session was just a ton of information and drills to perform on my own time. If I didnt have the ability to practice and swim a bunch between the weekly classes I venture I would gain little from the advice as it would be information overload.
2013-05-09 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4735472

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Usulsuspct - 2013-05-09 4:13 PM
MJSolt - 2013-05-09 3:30 PM

OK, need some advice.

I got the same line from my Y regarding lack of interest and private lessons (however mine were priced at $50 / half hour vs $87 for the entire session.) I debated on what I would get more from and the conclusion I came to was it really depended on the coach and your ability / scheduling to cram as much practice in between sessions. My first one hour session was just a ton of information and drills to perform on my own time. If I didnt have the ability to practice and swim a bunch between the weekly classes I venture I would gain little from the advice as it would be information overload.

I definitely have the time to practice, even if I have to get to the pool at 5am. I suppose I can learn enough in the 3 lessons and then some self study to sat least get the basic technique down. If its a total bust I'm only out $65.

2013-05-09 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mike, I think you're making the right choice in taking the lessons that are available to you.  You should be able to get a pretty good grasp of stroke and techinque to start working on your own after that.  If your still having problems when another oppurtunity comes then take it.

2013-05-09 4:52 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Mike and Jason, lessons are a great place to start, you'll get heaps of tips and info and analysis of your technique. It also gives you that bit of extra push to get in the water and practice!Cool 

I'm hoping to find an adult swim class local to me, even though I've been swimming for years I feel I need someone knowledgable to look at what I do and tell me how to do it better. We're always learning and developing.

2013-05-09 5:29 PM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Hey guys, you're getting a great mentor here who will inspire & encourage you all the way to achieving your goals. Best of luck with everything & most importantly enjoy it!
2013-05-09 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4735286

User image

New user
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-09 2:43 PM

Dawn, I also found this to help me pass the time and enjoy swimming a little more.

Interval 4G Waterproof Headphone System

H20 Audio - You just pop your I-Pod Suffle inside it, attach it to your googles and swim to your favorite songs.  I can tell you that it really helped me stay motiviated in the pool.

Oooo! That's niiice!

2013-05-09 6:45 PM

User image

New user
Hi everyone! I'm on the sofa being a sloth after my workout & commute home. I have a bike training question. Is your time on the bike just straight riding? Or do you do a tabata/interval type thing? Climbs? I'm trying to figure out what to do when I'm on the bike. I've been doing a spin class for my "long" bike workout, but unsure what to do for my shorter workout. I'm still on a exerbike in the gym (getting my hybrid tuned-up this week). For the last 2 weeks I've just done a straight ride at 90RPM with a load I can manage that doesn't make me bounce in the seat.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45