BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-05-19 12:25 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - OPENED
Sounds like almost everyone had some great races this weekend. Sorry about the flat trigal. Finished up the half this morning. RR will be coming but ill fill you in a bit. Conditions were sunny but cold and windy. Temp at start was 4C. So just above freezing. Plan was to run 5:10/km until the split and go from there. Well.....that plan went out the window after about a minute. Started at 4:40/km and that was trying to slow myself down lol. Managed to back it off and felt good averaging a 4:55 pace at 10k. I tried to pick it up a bit and was avg. 4:54 at the 15 or 16k mark. That's when the hills and wind really hit. The last 5k were pretty much all up hill and right into a stiff wind. Held on for a 1:46:33. 5:03/km avg. I was freezing the last few kms. Over all pretty happy considering I only really got off the sofa less then 12 months ago. Now for a beer.

2013-05-19 4:56 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by trigal38

Karl, sounds like a great ride and race today. I don't know if I could eat brownies and get back on and ride though!

Dirk congrats on your race yesterday! You would be smoking fast with race wheels and all the bells and whistles but the fact that you don't have all of that and still pull off those times is even more impressive.

Well I had my first race of the season this morning. Just a small local race I was using as a tune up to check my fitness. I was not nervous and felt good going in. I warmed up in my wetsuit and it felt better than my swim from earlier last week. My arms still got really heavy though and that wetsuit just changes my stroke so much I really HATE wearing it. Water temp was 67 degrees today. I got out of the water and saw my time was almost 9:00 - terrible for me, the worst ever and complete validation that thes wetsuit DOES NOT help my swim.
Out on the bike things were going really well, I was cruising at 23 or 24 mph and did not feel like I was working to my max. I knew this meant we must have the wind at our back. As I got closer to the turn around I watched to see who was in front of me - I was the first woman to hit the turn around! I thought now it is time to get to work but after the turn around my speeds dropped and I just felt like I could not keep it going. I tried changing gears, spinning faster but nothing was helping. My times kept dropping and my legs were burning!! Next thing I know I hear a pop and pssssshhhhhh. FLAT - not far after the turn around. I had taken off my bike bag with all of my spares and CO2 and left them in the van before the race and I ride 650 wheels so no one passing me had anything to help me out. I just started walking. Finally the RD's son came buy and let me use his phone. His Dad picked me up and took me back to transition. Funny thing, we had to pick up another guy who flatted on the way back in!

So I turned in my chip and just completed the run because I was there. My friend Tiff was also racing today and her husband ran the race with her then turned around and ran with me! I saw him coming and thought - crap, here he comes and he's going to make me work ha ha ha! So my first mile was 10:00 min/mile pace because I was just going to take it easy since my race was over. I had stopped to talk to my family who came out to watch, pet the dog etc. Then here he comes and my next 2 miles were 8:40 min/mile and 8:30 min/mile and he was not satisfied because I wasn't running 7's!

I'm really not too upset about it since I was only using this as a tune up race and the RD waived my fee in trade for volunteering at some of his races later in the year. Now I know I really need to step up the training!

Dina I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get to finish the race but it sounds like you where doing very well today and you probably are mid season form already. It's funny to hear that the wetsuit does not make you any faster. Do you think it could be the fit of the wetsuit or do you just feel more comfortable swimming without it? In any case glad to see you take this in stride and hope to see start lining up some races for this season.
2013-05-19 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Sounds like almost everyone had some great races this weekend. Sorry about the flat trigal. Finished up the half this morning. RR will be coming but ill fill you in a bit. Conditions were sunny but cold and windy. Temp at start was 4C. So just above freezing. Plan was to run 5:10/km until the split and go from there. Well.....that plan went out the window after about a minute. Started at 4:40/km and that was trying to slow myself down lol. Managed to back it off and felt good averaging a 4:55 pace at 10k. I tried to pick it up a bit and was avg. 4:54 at the 15 or 16k mark. That's when the hills and wind really hit. The last 5k were pretty much all up hill and right into a stiff wind. Held on for a 1:46:33. 5:03/km avg. I was freezing the last few kms. Over all pretty happy considering I only really got off the sofa less then 12 months ago. Now for a beer.

Derek congrats on finishing the HM. That's a great time and sounds like you really earned it with the cold and the wind today. I hope you enjoyed that beer!
2013-05-19 5:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by strikyr

Derek congrats on finishing the HM. That's a great time and sounds like you really earned it with the cold and the wind today. I hope you enjoyed that beer!

Threw in a glass of red win for good measure.

On another note what's everyone's recovery from a HM. I have to drive home tomorrow, so I most likely wouldn't be doing anything anyway. I'm thinking a easy spin on Tuesday. Planning on swimming Wed.-Fri. At a Wedding next weekend but I'm planning on bringing the bike for a 80-90k ride. I have a sprint tri on June 2nd so I'm planning on a small taper toward the end of next week. I can fit in a bike or two later tjs week as well. How long should I wait before a run. Is Wedensday good?

Edited by BigDaddyD79 2013-05-19 5:57 PM
2013-05-19 6:08 PM

User image

NH

On another note what's everyone's recovery from a HM. I have to drive home tomorrow, so I most likely wouldn't be doing anything anyway. I'm thinking a easy spin on Tuesday. Planning on swimming Wed.-Fri. At a Wedding next weekend but I'm planning on bringing the bike for a 80-90k ride. I have a sprint tri on June 2nd so I'm planning on a small taper toward the end of next week. I can fit in a bike or two later tjs week as well. How long should I wait before a run. Is Wedensday good?

Great race by the way. Like so much in tri, recovery from races is very personal. And as we age it gets worse! For a HM I do take the day after completely off, and try to get a massage or do some foam rolling. I also prefer to take at least 3-5 days off running, but I'll spin and swim starting on Tuesday. I find easy spinning actually makes my legs feel better. I tried running on the Weds after my last one and it wasn't a good idea for me, but I know people who run the Tuesday after IM. By the end of the week I feel perfectly fine to resume regular training.

I think your plan sounds good, just listen to the body and let it recover so you can hit it hard when you hit it again.

Edited by wbayek 2013-05-19 6:09 PM
2013-05-19 6:20 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Wow!  More Junkies racing!  Great job Derek!  Dina, I'm sorry your race didn't go as planned.  At least you did it, though.

2013-05-19 6:25 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

NH
What a weekend for the junkies. I have no idea where to start.

Dirk, that's a killer Oly. If you really swam 18 something for an Oly, all I can say is ?#?x!#?!!!!!! Your race was fantastic. I'd say an upgrade to carbon bike and race wheels will make some difference for sure. The bike probably not so much since you're on a TT bike already, but the wheels could get you .5-1 mph depending on your current set. Those are WILD guesses, but that was my experience borrowing wheels.

Karl, holy cow, AG podium after a 30 mile? Who do you think you are - Jeff??? And you wife podium-ed too? Pure awesomeness.

Matt, what can I say? Your running is out of control. I'll comment on your HIM question separately. I have some ideas even though I'm loath to have you beat me in our HIM challenge should you choose to take me up again this year!

Dina, sorry about that mechanical. Those things happen but they are tough. What a great gesture by the RD. I love this sport.

Brenda, I know you raced and raced well, though there's nothing on here about it yet. Great job.

Anyone hear anything about Jennifer's Tough Mudder? I tried to catch up quickly but I may have missed one.

Jeff had a tough race, but soldiered through as is his way. Huge kudos to one tough dude.

I'm off to do stage 8 of the Trainer Road Tour de California virtual race, while watching the TV coverage I taped this afternoon.
2013-05-19 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by wbayek

Great race by the way. Like so much in tri, recovery from races is very personal. And as we age it gets worse! For a HM I do take the day after completely off, and try to get a massage or do some foam rolling. I also prefer to take at least 3-5 days off running, but I'll spin and swim starting on Tuesday. I find easy spinning actually makes my legs feel better. I tried running on the Weds after my last one and it wasn't a good idea for me, but I know people who run the Tuesday after IM. By the end of the week I feel perfectly fine to resume regular training.

I think your plan sounds good, just listen to the body and let it recover so you can hit it hard when you hit it again.

I have a massage on Tuesday, however the post race area had free 30 min massages from local massage therapy students. Only had time to focus on my hams, but that's the area that I have the most trouble with. I really think it helped. Not sure if other races have this but I thought it was great.
2013-05-19 6:51 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Yay!  I can finally post my bio!  The munchkin is asleep and my husband is working in the garden.

NAME: Tracy (RunningYogini)

STORY: I've been doing triathlons since 2006.  I discovered BT at that time, too.  Prior to triathlons, I was a runner.  I decided that trying a tri sounded like fun.  I didn't have a bike, so I bought one.  I didn't know how to swim any better than drown prevention, so I took lessons.  The rest is history!

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married to my awesome husband for 5 years.  We have a super fabulous 4 year old boy.  We both got into the family thing late so we are going to stop with one fabulous boy.

JOB: I was a Wildlife Biologist for years.  When I met my husband, I decided to quit moving around all over the country and settle down in far northern CA.  I'm about 1.5 hours south of the Oregon border.  When I say that I live in northern CA, everyone assumes San Francisco.  Nope!  That's 5 hours south!  I digress.  Now, I am a stay-at-home-mommy that does a little Personal Training, teach yoga and teach some cycling classes.  If I had my way, I would only teach yoga.  That could still happen.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm always training!  I keep a pretty steady schedule due to childcare needs.  I just can't get off that schedule.  I try to sandwich my training before or after teaching the few classes I do each week.  Hence, I do a lot of treadmill running and Spin bike riding.  Recently, I've been building my run back up after suffering a stress fracture in my second metatarsal in November.  (I ran on it until January.  Don't do that.)  My bike and, surprisingly, my swim have suffered from the injury.  They are all coming back slowly.  No speed work for me until, at least, the end of the summer.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I raced really good last year!  I did a couple of sprint tris, PRed a half marathon and 10 miler, and did a crazy trail hill climb race.  (That was FUN!!!!)  I did lots of other 5Ks and 10Ks, as well since my local running club is so active.

2013 RACES:  In March, I did a bike time trial and broke the women's record even though my foot was still in a boot.  (The old record was mine, too.  I'm pretty good on the bike.)  In April, I did an Olympic Tri.  It didn't go that great since my foot was hurting.  I finished it, though.  I might do a 10K in a couple weeks.  In July and August , I'm doing some sprint tris.  I'm hoping to do 1 or 2 100K rides, more short running races and the bike time trial in October.  Nothing will be at my max speed, though.  I'm too freaked out about injuring my foot.  I really wanted to do a HIM and marathon this year.  Those will have to wait.

WEIGHT LOSS: This is a non-category for me.  I'm happy with where I am and I've never had an issue.  I have been leaner but I'm not a very nice person when I get into the low 20's for BF.  You have to know your limits in either direction, right?

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love learning anything and everything possible about triathlon.  I've been having so much fun with the Junkie group.  I love you guys!  Your support goes beyond just this sport.  You all have been supportive during all of the crappy things that have happened, too!  Here's to a great 2013 season for everyone! 

2013-05-19 8:38 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

NH
Originally posted by mambos

Tomorrow the laziness for me ends, I start the training plan for my HIM. A good thing too because my training time has really dropped over the last 3 weeks and even though the break from scheduled training was nice, I'm ready to get moving again. I do need some input though, probably just a confirmation actually. I am going to use the intermediate plan from BT and it states it should be used for someone wanting to go under 5hrs. Obviously thats not my goal, but wanted to be challenged through the process. As I reviewed the program it appears to be extremely light on the run, most of the weeks are barely 2 1/2hrs of running and the highest is just over 3 hrs. This seems to be extremely light to be able to have a strong showing in the race. My thought is to add a couple easy runs through out the week to get my running to around 25mpw for the majority of the training plan, then add some additional runs in the last month of the plan. To be able to reach this my run time would be around 4 hours per week. Any thoughts? stick with the plan or add the run?

Matt, I don't have access to the full plan, but it looks like the plan has a fair amount of high intensity running. I won't give you direct advice without seeing the whole plan, but I'll give you my overview of half iron racing for us mortals.

I think your running is very strong, and is likely your strength in the sport. But the run in the half comes after a fair amount of racing, and can hardly be considered a "race" in the same way as your half marathons have been. Given that, it is very important that you get off the bike with as little damage as possible to set up the best run.

You have to first decide how much time you really have to dedicate to preparing for the race. After that, I think you really need to figure out how to work your bike to become at least somewhat comparable to your run. The best way to do that can vary. You should probably focus on increasing your threshold, as well as working on your long ride endurance. Therefore you need to do some amount of threshold work, but more important are the long rides (2-3 hours) and within those long rides include some longer intervals at under threshold but at a comfortably hard pace, maybe a bit higher than your race day pace will be. Maybe on the 85-90% range of your threshold power, for intervals up to 20 minutes or more. For HR, that is about 90-95% of threshold. Ideally your race will be close to 80% (I'm assuming you'll get your bike split to ~2:50), but we can get into race execution in detail later.

There also needs to be some fine tune bike training optimizing for the course. How is the course? Hilly, flat, technical, windy? It can slightly modify some of your cycling to focus on strength (for hills), aero positioning (for flat and windy), and steady pacing, at least from an effort point of view. All of these are important for any race, but a bit more focus might be in order based on the course you''ll be riding.

I know you asked about the run and I talked about the bike. The reason is I really think for you the bike training is a lot more important. Since all training is about recovery, you need to spend your hard workout candles on the bike. Therefore your running should be mostly easy, easier than you've been going in training. East enough that your running won't eat into your ability to hit your bike workouts. So my opinion is that you should run enough to maintain your current run fitness where it is right now, and get that bike over the top. Not sure if that means more than the plan calls for or not. And maybe you want to toss out all this advice since I'm maybe changing the plan too much!
2013-05-19 8:47 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by strikyr

Originally posted by trigal38

Karl, sounds like a great ride and race today. I don't know if I could eat brownies and get back on and ride though!

Dirk congrats on your race yesterday! You would be smoking fast with race wheels and all the bells and whistles but the fact that you don't have all of that and still pull off those times is even more impressive.

Well I had my first race of the season this morning. Just a small local race I was using as a tune up to check my fitness. I was not nervous and felt good going in. I warmed up in my wetsuit and it felt better than my swim from earlier last week. My arms still got really heavy though and that wetsuit just changes my stroke so much I really HATE wearing it. Water temp was 67 degrees today. I got out of the water and saw my time was almost 9:00 - terrible for me, the worst ever and complete validation that thes wetsuit DOES NOT help my swim.
Out on the bike things were going really well, I was cruising at 23 or 24 mph and did not feel like I was working to my max. I knew this meant we must have the wind at our back. As I got closer to the turn around I watched to see who was in front of me - I was the first woman to hit the turn around! I thought now it is time to get to work but after the turn around my speeds dropped and I just felt like I could not keep it going. I tried changing gears, spinning faster but nothing was helping. My times kept dropping and my legs were burning!! Next thing I know I hear a pop and pssssshhhhhh. FLAT - not far after the turn around. I had taken off my bike bag with all of my spares and CO2 and left them in the van before the race and I ride 650 wheels so no one passing me had anything to help me out. I just started walking. Finally the RD's son came buy and let me use his phone. His Dad picked me up and took me back to transition. Funny thing, we had to pick up another guy who flatted on the way back in!

So I turned in my chip and just completed the run because I was there. My friend Tiff was also racing today and her husband ran the race with her then turned around and ran with me! I saw him coming and thought - crap, here he comes and he's going to make me work ha ha ha! So my first mile was 10:00 min/mile pace because I was just going to take it easy since my race was over. I had stopped to talk to my family who came out to watch, pet the dog etc. Then here he comes and my next 2 miles were 8:40 min/mile and 8:30 min/mile and he was not satisfied because I wasn't running 7's!

I'm really not too upset about it since I was only using this as a tune up race and the RD waived my fee in trade for volunteering at some of his races later in the year. Now I know I really need to step up the training!

Dina I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get to finish the race but it sounds like you where doing very well today and you probably are mid season form already. It's funny to hear that the wetsuit does not make you any faster. Do you think it could be the fit of the wetsuit or do you just feel more comfortable swimming without it? In any case glad to see you take this in stride and hope to see start lining up some races for this season.

I am not bothered at all by the flat or the DNF as long as my bike is o.k. . I just checked out the race results and it looks like my swim was right in there with the top 3 women (remember this is a small race) so I guess maybe the course was just a little long this year and I didn't do as bad as I thought. Tiff usually swims around 9:00 min and she swam 10:30 so hers was way off of normal too. As far as the wetsuit - I don't really know. I know they are supposed to make you faster but every time I wear one my arms/shoulders wind up so tired and fatigued. I swim 3000 yrds in the pool with intervals and my arms never feel as bad as they do in the wetsuit and I have 2 different suits now.

Next up I am planning on a HIM but just the swim and bike on June 9th at the same location. Maybe I can get one of my awesome running friends to do the run portion and we can make it a team event.

2013-05-19 8:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

great race! 1:46 is definitely nothing to shake a stick at, especially with the last 5k being uphill and into the wind.
2013-05-19 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Tomorrow the laziness for me ends, I start the training plan for my HIM. A good thing too because my training time has really dropped over the last 3 weeks and even though the break from scheduled training was nice, I'm ready to get moving again. I do need some input though, probably just a confirmation actually. I am going to use the intermediate plan from BT and it states it should be used for someone wanting to go under 5hrs. Obviously thats not my goal, but wanted to be challenged through the process. As I reviewed the program it appears to be extremely light on the run, most of the weeks are barely 2 1/2hrs of running and the highest is just over 3 hrs. This seems to be extremely light to be able to have a strong showing in the race. My thought is to add a couple easy runs through out the week to get my running to around 25mpw for the majority of the training plan, then add some additional runs in the last month of the plan. To be able to reach this my run time would be around 4 hours per week. Any thoughts? stick with the plan or add the run?

Matt, I don't have access to the full plan, but it looks like the plan has a fair amount of high intensity running. I won't give you direct advice without seeing the whole plan, but I'll give you my overview of half iron racing for us mortals.

I think your running is very strong, and is likely your strength in the sport. But the run in the half comes after a fair amount of racing, and can hardly be considered a "race" in the same way as your half marathons have been. Given that, it is very important that you get off the bike with as little damage as possible to set up the best run.

You have to first decide how much time you really have to dedicate to preparing for the race. After that, I think you really need to figure out how to work your bike to become at least somewhat comparable to your run. The best way to do that can vary. You should probably focus on increasing your threshold, as well as working on your long ride endurance. Therefore you need to do some amount of threshold work, but more important are the long rides (2-3 hours) and within those long rides include some longer intervals at under threshold but at a comfortably hard pace, maybe a bit higher than your race day pace will be. Maybe on the 85-90% range of your threshold power, for intervals up to 20 minutes or more. For HR, that is about 90-95% of threshold. Ideally your race will be close to 80% (I'm assuming you'll get your bike split to ~2:50), but we can get into race execution in detail later.

There also needs to be some fine tune bike training optimizing for the course. How is the course? Hilly, flat, technical, windy? It can slightly modify some of your cycling to focus on strength (for hills), aero positioning (for flat and windy), and steady pacing, at least from an effort point of view. All of these are important for any race, but a bit more focus might be in order based on the course you''ll be riding.

I know you asked about the run and I talked about the bike. The reason is I really think for you the bike training is a lot more important. Since all training is about recovery, you need to spend your hard workout candles on the bike. Therefore your running should be mostly easy, easier than you've been going in training. East enough that your running won't eat into your ability to hit your bike workouts. So my opinion is that you should run enough to maintain your current run fitness where it is right now, and get that bike over the top. Not sure if that means more than the plan calls for or not. And maybe you want to toss out all this advice since I'm maybe changing the plan too much!
I think I agree, and the plan definitely agree's! It starts out at 4:30 per week for the bike and just climbs from there, to the point late July and all of August are all over 6:30 per week on the bike. I'm just not sure how much I need to run to maintain current fitness. Looking at the plan there are several days that only have a swim scheduled. I was thinking I could do this in the AM, then an easy 3 mile run at lunch and then still have roughly 20 hrs recovery time until the next WO!

As for the course I believe it is mostly flat, but has some deceptive false flats. I also believe it could potentially be extremely windy depending on the weather, Dirk could you give your thoughts on the course (Cedar point). I'm going off the description from the the website, and since you have done the course.....

I have some questions on your comments on the threshold comments, but I need to school myself on this first. I know my run zones by heart, I know that a 5k should be above 175, HM around 160 early and increase to around 165. My trainining runs between 140-150 to be most beneficial. But with that being said, I have no clue where to put my efforts on the bike, and because of this I lend up going to easy. I should be able to go back and get some numbers from the Jorge plan I did over the winter. Once I figure that out I will be back with questions

Oh, and I'm excited I can make paragraphs on my ipad without being a web developer, I may get used to the new BT! But I couldn't figure out to edit font and such, did we lose that? For Brenda's sake I hope not!
2013-05-20 4:49 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by trigal38 Karl, sounds like a great ride and race today. I don't know if I could eat brownies and get back on and ride though! Dirk congrats on your race yesterday! You would be smoking fast with race wheels and all the bells and whistles but the fact that you don't have all of that and still pull off those times is even more impressive. Well I had my first race of the season this morning. Just a small local race I was using as a tune up to check my fitness. I was not nervous and felt good going in. I warmed up in my wetsuit and it felt better than my swim from earlier last week. My arms still got really heavy though and that wetsuit just changes my stroke so much I really HATE wearing it. Water temp was 67 degrees today. I got out of the water and saw my time was almost 9:00 - terrible for me, the worst ever and complete validation that thes wetsuit DOES NOT help my swim. Out on the bike things were going really well, I was cruising at 23 or 24 mph and did not feel like I was working to my max. I knew this meant we must have the wind at our back. As I got closer to the turn around I watched to see who was in front of me - I was the first woman to hit the turn around! I thought now it is time to get to work but after the turn around my speeds dropped and I just felt like I could not keep it going. I tried changing gears, spinning faster but nothing was helping. My times kept dropping and my legs were burning!! Next thing I know I hear a pop and pssssshhhhhh. FLAT - not far after the turn around. I had taken off my bike bag with all of my spares and CO2 and left them in the van before the race and I ride 650 wheels so no one passing me had anything to help me out. I just started walking. Finally the RD's son came buy and let me use his phone. His Dad picked me up and took me back to transition. Funny thing, we had to pick up another guy who flatted on the way back in! So I turned in my chip and just completed the run because I was there. My friend Tiff was also racing today and her husband ran the race with her then turned around and ran with me! I saw him coming and thought - crap, here he comes and he's going to make me work ha ha ha! So my first mile was 10:00 min/mile pace because I was just going to take it easy since my race was over. I had stopped to talk to my family who came out to watch, pet the dog etc. Then here he comes and my next 2 miles were 8:40 min/mile and 8:30 min/mile and he was not satisfied because I wasn't running 7's! I'm really not too upset about it since I was only using this as a tune up race and the RD waived my fee in trade for volunteering at some of his races later in the year. Now I know I really need to step up the training!

It sounds like you were having a great race up until the flat but it's equally great that you're not upset about it too.  I would have been on an entirely different planet had that happened to me. 

The wetsuit issues you have could be relatively simple but it seems we've talked about fitting before so excuse my lack of memory.  When you put your suit on are you making sure the arms are pulled all the way up so there is no drooping under your shoulders?  The arm pits of the suit should be right again your arm pits and you should stretch your arms well above your head as you put the suit on to check for any tightness under the arms.  If you have tightness attempt to figure out where it's coming from and pull the arms up of even the waist up (which may mean you have to pull the legs up too).

The tire thing?  I always try to decide if I'm going to leave my spare tube and accessories on the bike and I always have so far.  Now I have a better reason to leave them on.  I don't want to experience being out on the course with nothing to make repairs. 

Ironically I talked about an incident that happened at Pokagon last year where someone's tire blew in transition while they were out on the run course because of the heat and tire pressure.......This year, well after the race, like after I had gotten my award and was standing next to my bike get ready to leave, my bike did the same thing.  POP!!!  Very loudly!!  Like an M80 going off.  When I got home and changed the tube the hole was 3 inches long.  I normally run 115 PSI for races, which I did Saturday, and I've never had that happen.  That little inciddent quieted the entire after race party down for a minute or two.  Kinda funny!

2013-05-20 5:19 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Trying to catch up a little,
Will Fruit Loops...NO!!!!!!!!!! You and Tony have to give that stuff up! Good ride though!
Jen, how was the Tough Mudder?
Dirk, congrats on the PR. Hey remember like you tell us, it is not how you compare to others but how you compare to yourself. lol
Matt and Vero, GREAT jobs on your races.
Tony, way to ride
Jo, great job on the bike and overcoming the flat!

I got up early and rode 30+ miles to a 10K race. It ws a beautiful cool ride. The one mistake I made was leaving to early, 5:15. Once I got out of town it was dark and the oncoming traffic blinded me and I couldn;t see where i was going. But once day broke, it was just amazing watching the sky get lighter, fog over ponds, watching foxes and squjirrels playing. This was a hilly ride and I hammered it upp the hills. When I got to Cairo, I got lost and had to ask for directions so now I know the layout of Cairo, GA, Jen's home town. i got there and had about 30 minutes to spare so I put bike up, drank and ate a little.

This was a rolling hilly course, the 1st few miles were fun, then my legs started getting tired around mile 4 and 5, by 6 I said I'm not going to make it but I did. I'm waiting on the official results but according to my watch it was a PR and I got 2nd AG.
Let me tell ya'll about southern town runs, they are very laid back and at the finish line, gosh at all the food, Tallahassee never has anything like that, They of course had oranges, grapes and bananas but all the homemade brownies and cookies, they had enough for a thousand folks and none of the store bought crap, all homemade! Gosh I miss that, I'll do the race next year just for that...
Then I rode back to a meeting spot for wife to pick me up. I didn't really want to ride to much on the major highway I rode in on due to traffic. The 1st few miles back on the bike were tough, then they felt good for a few miles and about the last 5, I was hurting, I couldn't drink enough. Today my lower back is achy due to riding in the drops 90% of the time but my legs feel GREAT!!!

Sorry to bore ya'll so much! To your relief, I will be out of town this week so ya'll be careful and train hard, I'll bore ya'll when I get back...lol

Oh yea, wife got 3rd in here 10K race.

Congrats Karl! I tihnk you did pretty awesome and I know how how hilly of a ride it is from yourside of town to my side. Congrats on your run time too!
2013-05-20 5:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Dina- Sorry to hear about about the race.

Welcome Allison, John, and Derek.

I did Tough Mudder Jacksonville this past weekend and it was TOUGH! This was my second Tough Mudder and this one was much harder. Our start time was 11:20 and it was only 90 degrees with glaring sun and no breeze. I wore a hat, tons of sunblock, and carried Energy Gu's, Gatorade Gels, and Energy Gu blocks. Due to the heat, I ended up consuming goodies every two miles ater the 4 mile mark.

There had to be at least 3 miles of pure mud that we trudged through and 3 miles of sand to run through. We had a group of 20, but our group broke off into smaller groups and I ran with the top 3 guys inour group. Yes, we RAN the entire distance. They are not triathletes, but in exetremely great shape. Their pace was faster than what I was comfortable with, but I knew that the longer I was on the course, the more dehydrated I would get, so I pushed through it all.

Around mile 6, we started seeing lots of people getting escorted off the course due to the heat and lots of people were sitting on the side of the course tending to leg cramps. My right calf muscle started to cramp up around mile 9 and I changed my stride, I refused to stop and let it cramp up completely.

I rolled my right ankle a few times on the course and it is pretty sore today, it was very swollen last night. I was able to get on trainer this morning for a 30 minute bike ride and it feels alright. I skipped the Electroshock Therapy at the end of the run. After getting shocked in the neck at the last one and having my fillings ache in my jaw for weeks at the last one, I realized that preserving my teeth is more important that running through a bunch of live wires. Overall, my legs feel great already- my upper back is a little sore, and my deltoids seem to be the most sore!

I am hoping to get around to doing a race recap of all the obstacles this week. I know that tri training was the key to me being able to still run at mile 10 and 11.

HAppy MOnday JUNKIES!

I ran with the three shirtless fellas in the pic.... Being just 5'1" next to them also meant I had to take twice as many steps!

Edited by jenbmosley 2013-05-20 5:41 AM

(945851_10151363238025964_2021126205_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
945851_10151363238025964_2021126205_n.jpg (100KB - 12 downloads)

2013-05-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

NH
That's an awesome race Jennifer. Sounds like a tough but fun event. Those dudes look seriously fit and that 5'1" comment is hilarious.
2013-05-20 8:27 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

NH
I have some questions on your comments on the threshold comments, but I need to school myself on this first. I know my run zones by heart, I know that a 5k should be above 175, HM around 160 early and increase to around 165. My trainining runs between 140-150 to be most beneficial. But with that being said, I have no clue where to put my efforts on the bike, and because of this I lend up going to easy. I should be able to go back and get some numbers from the Jorge plan I did over the winter. Once I figure that out I will be back with questions

I would retest your bike ranges outside. It’s good to start the plan with a recent set of numbers and outside bike numbers can be different.
2013-05-20 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: Race Pacing
One of the things we often talk about is race pacing and how even splits is almost always ideal. The complicator there comes when the course throws terrain changes at you. In that case it's not the pace that must stay constant but the effort (sort of). I say 'sort of' because as the race goes on, keeping that even pace gets gradually harder until it's all you can do to maintain it through the end of the race.

Anyway, here was a blog entry from the Swim Smooth gang that talks about just that. I thought you all might get some value from it.

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2013/05/the-gradual-crescendo.html
2013-05-20 9:44 AM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Race Pacing
Jen congrats on finishing the the tough mudder race. Sounds like you got a seriously good workout and had a blast doing it.
2013-05-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Race Pacing
Originally posted by JeffY

One of the things we often talk about is race pacing and how even splits is almost always ideal. The complicator there comes when the course throws terrain changes at you. In that case it's not the pace that must stay constant but the effort (sort of). I say 'sort of' because as the race goes on, keeping that even pace gets gradually harder until it's all you can do to maintain it through the end of the race.

Anyway, here was a blog entry from the Swim Smooth gang that talks about just that. I thought you all might get some value from it.

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2013/05/the-gradual-crescendo.html

Jeff thanks for posting this is a good article and makes sense. I had conversation when out riding this weekend with one of the guys who has done IM and we were talking about pacing yourself on the bike leg. One thing he mentioned was that he felt that depending on how your legs are feeling during the race is a very poor indicator of measuring your effort. I know Warren touched on the importance of bike fitness with Matt and he said the the same thing to me. He really emphasized how important the bike leg is during IM.

In regards to pacing though he felt the best way to measure that on the bike was with the power meter, trying to stay in your predetermined zone to race in. His feeling was that you can go out too hard and feel that your effort is easy and that when you think your too tired you may not be pushing hard enough. Now I know you the power meter might be the best way to measure your effort and I know you can do the same with HR but I was sort of counting on going on feel as well with my pacing. What's your thought on that?

2013-05-20 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

I would retest your bike ranges outside. It’s good to start the plan with a recent set of numbers and outside bike numbers can be different.

would the same test work! 10m warm-up followed by a 20m all out effort! Avg HR in the 20m effort would be what to look for? It may be somewhat difficult to find an area to be able to go that long without interruption or extreme hills!

Is there a different test that I could do?
2013-05-20 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79Sounds like almost everyone had some great races this weekend. Sorry about the flat trigal. Finished up the half this morning. RR will be coming but ill fill you in a bit. Conditions were sunny but cold and windy. Temp at start was 4C. So just above freezing. Plan was to run 5:10/km until the split and go from there. Well.....that plan went out the window after about a minute. Started at 4:40/km and that was trying to slow myself down lol. Managed to back it off and felt good averaging a 4:55 pace at 10k. I tried to pick it up a bit and was avg. 4:54 at the 15 or 16k mark. That's when the hills and wind really hit. The last 5k were pretty much all up hill and right into a stiff wind. Held on for a 1:46:33. 5:03/km avg. I was freezing the last few kms. Over all pretty happy considering I only really got off the sofa less then 12 months ago. Now for a beer.
That sounds like a good race Darek! Is this a point to point race? Maybe they could flip the course and allow the finish flat. That or allow all of us who seem to desire to punish ourselves the ongoing pleasure of our masochistic pleasures.It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on your running in 1 year. Congrats!
2013-05-20 12:43 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Bronze member
Jenn your race sounds brutal! I have a hard enough time trying not to hurt myself running along the sidewalk, I don't know how you managed with all of that other stuff going on. Congratulations!

Looking for some input about my flat yesterday. I found the hole in the tube. There was no recognizable puncture in the tire when I matched it up and the hole was just a tiny one right in the seam of the tube. I found it by putting air in the tube then putting the tube in the sink filled with water and even after I knew where the hole was I still couldn't see it. I could see the bubbles of air in the water and then feel where the air was coming out of the tube but I couldn't see the hole at all it was so tiny. So I'm wondering if this was maybe just an old tube that has seen better days or is there something else I should be aware of? I've had these tubes and tires on the bike ever since I bought it (January 2011). I pumped the tires up to about 95 PSI on race day.

Dirk as far as putting on the wetsuit - I went through a lot to make sure I had it on to the best possible fit. I mean I sprayed myself with cooking spray one section at a time (below the knee, thighs, left arm then right arm) AND used plastic bags over my feet and hands to get it on. It actually went on better than it ever has and I felt pretty good warming up. I don't know how to explain it other than it just makes my arms tired! Maybe I've still got a bad fit or I just need a sleeveless.

My attitude is actually better since the race than it was before! I did not even decide that I was going to go until Saturday afternoon so I really had zero expectations other than hoping this would help my race motivation. Obviously flatting out just leaves you wanting more . And it was really great to catch up with all of my local racing friends.
2013-05-20 12:51 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

When I get a flat, I put always put a brand new tube on.  At home, I patch the old tube and use it as my spare.  Well, the tube from my last flat was used as a mule lead rope.  I wouldn't recommend using your old tube as a lead rope, though. Yell

I'm having wetsuit issues, too.  My conclusion is that they are just like running shoes.  Sometimes you find the perfect fit the first time but most times you have to go through several duds to find the perfect model.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114