BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-06-03 8:33 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- OPEN
Tim,

Wondering if you still have room in your group? I think I could learn a lot from you and am semi-local to you (Mundelein, IL).

Here is a little about me:

STORY: I started my triathlon career last year. I was hooked after my first tri in July 2012 (Southshore Tri in Chicago). I was never a runner, biker or swimmer, but I have always been pretty athletic (basketball, track (mostly sprints and jumping), volleyball, softball, etc). My running has improved immensly in the last year and am an average swimmer. I need a lot more in order to be decent on the bike.

With moderate success last year, I think I have potential to be in the top 10 percent AG in some races. This is a goal of mine this year. My long terms plans are HIM next year and IM the year after.

FAMILY STATUS: Long term GF

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for Pleasant Prairie sprint; Concrete Man in Springfield MO; and my first Olympic - Chicago Triathlon. I had build a really nice running, swimming and biking base over the Winter. I trained to run a half-marathon this spring, but had to DNS because of a recurring calf injury. I am currently swimming and biking x3 per week. My running is in rehab mode with PT and MED running. I can swim and bike without calf problems, but my calf has reinjured itself 4 or 5 times this year during running...but hopefully I wil be back to full strength in a month.

WEIGHTLOSS: Five years ago, I was pushing 250 lbs. Through some life changes (sobriety, eating better, and triathlons), I am down to 190lb. I would like to get to a more competitive race weight of about 180 or less by the end of the season.

Todd

2013-06-03 9:52 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Expert
Hi Todd - welcome to the group! Sounds like you have a pretty solid game plan in regards to your training. What is going on with your calf and what is causing the re-injury?

Originally posted by ettringite23

Tim,

Wondering if you still have room in your group? I think I could learn a lot from you and am semi-local to you (Mundelein, IL).

Here is a little about me:

STORY: I started my triathlon career last year. I was hooked after my first tri in July 2012 (Southshore Tri in Chicago). I was never a runner, biker or swimmer, but I have always been pretty athletic (basketball, track (mostly sprints and jumping), volleyball, softball, etc). My running has improved immensly in the last year and am an average swimmer. I need a lot more in order to be decent on the bike.

With moderate success last year, I think I have potential to be in the top 10 percent AG in some races. This is a goal of mine this year. My long terms plans are HIM next year and IM the year after.

FAMILY STATUS: Long term GF

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for Pleasant Prairie sprint; Concrete Man in Springfield MO; and my first Olympic - Chicago Triathlon. I had build a really nice running, swimming and biking base over the Winter. I trained to run a half-marathon this spring, but had to DNS because of a recurring calf injury. I am currently swimming and biking x3 per week. My running is in rehab mode with PT and MED running. I can swim and bike without calf problems, but my calf has reinjured itself 4 or 5 times this year during running...but hopefully I wil be back to full strength in a month.

WEIGHTLOSS: Five years ago, I was pushing 250 lbs. Through some life changes (sobriety, eating better, and triathlons), I am down to 190lb. I would like to get to a more competitive race weight of about 180 or less by the end of the season.

Todd

2013-06-03 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Ok guys so with Todd joining the group tonight I think I will take one more then close it up. Sound good? This is who I have so far with my running list. Please let me know if I am missing someone:

- tmoran80 -Tim
- kcgolf - Kevin (KC)
- IceManScott - Scott
- cheekymonkeys1 - Deb
- krazytallchick - Kathy
- WillTriForBeer - Jen
- kruzmeister - Simone
- gdelamora - Gil
- t-royboy - Troy
- phishinphan - Pierce
- retiretotri - Lori
-SouthFLJoe- Joe
-bmaldonado - Brandy
- mkennedy0525 - Michelle
-ettringite23 - Todd
2013-06-03 10:41 PM

User image

Regular
From what I have read, I have "calf heart attacks" : http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/calf-heart-attacks?pag...

I will find out more in the near future with my PT visits and visits to me DR.

Todd
2013-06-04 4:35 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Welcome to Team RFP Michelle and Todd!
2013-06-04 4:44 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
G'day Team,

Hope everyone is well. I had a another good day today, I dunno what have come over me but I'm all of a sudden motivated to hit the pool. Did another workout today 2,000m. I think maybe the fear of how swim loaded Don Fink's IronFit program is rubbing off on me, haha. I also went for a run before the swim. I'm slowly getting my paces back to where they were before my blow out at Port Macquarie.

Althought I did suffer from a cramp in my right calf while running. Believe it or not this has never happened to me before. I have had them in bed of a night where they last about a minute and then go, but never while exercising and never for this long. Anyway I kept running through it hoping it would subside, it was only a 30 min run, so I managed okay. But I've been hobbling around like a cripple ever since and my soleus is still pretty sore, is it possible it was some more nefarious? Anyway I've done some rolling and self massage to try and work it out, but I guess I'll see what it is like tomorrow. I have an indoor brick scheduled on the dreadmill and trainer, but I can go light if need be.

Oh the other thing is, Tim did you want us to re-introduce ourselves to the new members?

Happy hump day everyone, nearly there!

2013-06-04 8:30 AM

User image

Hello,

Could I join this group? I've done a couple of races in the past, but I think I need guidance and support to make it to the next level. In 2009 I completed an Olympic with TNT, finishing in 3 hours 30 minutes. I was disappointed, but it was because I didn't train and I screwed up my nutrition. Raced a long sprint last summer and it was the same story, came in at the back of the pack. I have an Olympic picked out for September and a half-marathon in October. I can run 5k right now and feel fine. I'll be doing my first road ride of the year tomorrow morning. I can't remember the last time I was in a pool, over a year at least. I'm scrawny (5 10 - 140), so if anything I probably need to gain weight to make my goals.

That's my "fitness" background. Personally, I'm 34 years old, been married 5 years, no kids yet but hopefully soon. We do have a boxer name Daisy and she's my running partner unless it's really hot out. I am a visiting professor so I have the summer "off" (aka trying to research and write so maybe I can be a real professor one day). Hopefully this will allow me to train hard through June and July.

I'm very excited and looking forward to being part of a community instead of trying to figure all this nonsense out on my own.

Mike
2013-06-04 9:43 AM
in reply to: MikeMcK

User image

Expert
Mike welcome aboard! What type of training plans have yo been following or where you just winging it for your races? There are some really good Olympic and Sprint programs here on BT that we can help you select. It makes the biggest difference especially in this sport to have that community or group checking in on you and keeping you motivated. This group is actually one of my biggest motivators to stay active in this lifetsyle over the past 4 years so hopefully you get the same thing out of it.

Originally posted by MikeMcK

Hello,

Could I join this group? I've done a couple of races in the past, but I think I need guidance and support to make it to the next level. In 2009 I completed an Olympic with TNT, finishing in 3 hours 30 minutes. I was disappointed, but it was because I didn't train and I screwed up my nutrition. Raced a long sprint last summer and it was the same story, came in at the back of the pack. I have an Olympic picked out for September and a half-marathon in October. I can run 5k right now and feel fine. I'll be doing my first road ride of the year tomorrow morning. I can't remember the last time I was in a pool, over a year at least. I'm scrawny (5 10 - 140), so if anything I probably need to gain weight to make my goals.

That's my "fitness" background. Personally, I'm 34 years old, been married 5 years, no kids yet but hopefully soon. We do have a boxer name Daisy and she's my running partner unless it's really hot out. I am a visiting professor so I have the summer "off" (aka trying to research and write so maybe I can be a real professor one day). Hopefully this will allow me to train hard through June and July.

I'm very excited and looking forward to being part of a community instead of trying to figure all this nonsense out on my own.

Mike
2013-06-04 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
I have found a severe cramp will linger for days so you should back off your training a bit to prevent any further injury. When it feels better you should do some strength training to make the calves stronger - try doing the calf raises. it seemed to help me when I was having issues.

Probably a good idea now to re-introduce everyone to the group now that I will close it today!

Originally posted by kruzmeister

G'day Team,

Hope everyone is well. I had a another good day today, I dunno what have come over me but I'm all of a sudden motivated to hit the pool. Did another workout today 2,000m. I think maybe the fear of how swim loaded Don Fink's IronFit program is rubbing off on me, haha. I also went for a run before the swim. I'm slowly getting my paces back to where they were before my blow out at Port Macquarie.

Althought I did suffer from a cramp in my right calf while running. Believe it or not this has never happened to me before. I have had them in bed of a night where they last about a minute and then go, but never while exercising and never for this long. Anyway I kept running through it hoping it would subside, it was only a 30 min run, so I managed okay. But I've been hobbling around like a cripple ever since and my soleus is still pretty sore, is it possible it was some more nefarious? Anyway I've done some rolling and self massage to try and work it out, but I guess I'll see what it is like tomorrow. I have an indoor brick scheduled on the dreadmill and trainer, but I can go light if need be.

Oh the other thing is, Tim did you want us to re-introduce ourselves to the new members?

Happy hump day everyone, nearly there!
2013-06-04 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Man I am having some serious delayed muscle soreness after my 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I did a 30 minute high RPM (100+) workout this morning to just get the legs going again but as I was walking into my office my left leg buckled on me - really weird. I think with just my lack of running I pushed it to hard on Sunday and am now paying the price haha.
2013-06-04 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Tim - you ran a great race with a great time so it's like your legs are saying "I need a beer"!

So my training is going good but I'm finding lately that my swim stroke feels like it's getting stronger and more efficient but I'm getting out of breath quicker. I think I'm working harder on my stroke and therefore I'm running out of air and tiring quicker. I can't even seem to go back to my lazy slow stroke where I felt like I could swim forever at that pace. Maybe this is just a phase of improvement, not sure.

I'm doing a double today. Swam this morning and if it's not raining tonight then I'll put in some work on the bike.

2013-06-04 10:10 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

Welcome to our new members - awesome to have you with us. I am off to a physio appointment right now for a bit of preventative stuff. I will check back in to say hello officialy and check the posts I have missed.

KC
2013-06-04 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Welcome Mike! You'll enjoy this group.

Hello,

Mike
2013-06-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: WillTriForBeer

User image

Expert
Well I gave my legs plenty of beer on Sunday afternoon at my nieces graduation party (or at least my wife thought so haha). Probably didn't help my recovery much.

Good news on the swimming improvement. If you want to use something to get a good gauge of improvement and also work to balance out stroke efficiency compared to effort try doing the "Swim Golf" drills every swim session.

Basically do a 50Y swim and count your strokes. Take the number of strokes and add it to the time and you have your number. I am usually around 80-84 depending how I feel. Experiment with your stroke and your effort to find what works best for you. You will find that sometimes focusing on a more efficient stroke will be better than pushing really hard. Do about 4 of them each session and you will see improvement.

Originally posted by WillTriForBeer

Tim - you ran a great race with a great time so it's like your legs are saying "I need a beer"!

So my training is going good but I'm finding lately that my swim stroke feels like it's getting stronger and more efficient but I'm getting out of breath quicker. I think I'm working harder on my stroke and therefore I'm running out of air and tiring quicker. I can't even seem to go back to my lazy slow stroke where I felt like I could swim forever at that pace. Maybe this is just a phase of improvement, not sure.

I'm doing a double today. Swam this morning and if it's not raining tonight then I'll put in some work on the bike.
2013-06-04 11:43 AM

User image

Chicago
Great job Tim on your HM. You'll be glad you're in a corral because it makes it easier to get to the start line. Kinda ironic.

KC - Great job getting first place!

Welcome to all the new members. Can't wait to hear your inputs.

I had a bad weekend training due to some unforeseen events like a honey do list from my wife. We are getting ready for our 2 and a half week vacation so we needed to get some things in order.

Yesterday I did a brick which helped me mentally. I did some hard hill courses and felt great. Today I'll do some running and core workouts. All in all I feel great and can't wait to go on vacation. The wife and I have a lot of endurance activities planned so I'm using them as part of my training. I know I'll get a lot of running in especially trail running and a lot of open water swimming. Vacation starts on Thursday and we'll be over on the 23rd.

Have a great week everyone,

2013-06-04 2:18 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Expert
This is good little article on four swimming myths. The one that surprised me was the bilateral breathing. I guess I am officially a bilateral breathing swimmer since I can breath from both sides. I just can't sustain the 3 breaths during workouts. The hand entry one was interesting also.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/06/training/four-swimming-myth...

2013-06-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Expert
Thanks Gil - I was spectating last year and noticed how much thinner the first corrals were then came the wall of people from the open corrals so I really wanted to make a point to get in one.

What is thing you call "vacation"? I haven't had one of those (at least ones that didn't involve some type of race) in years haha - Have a good time.

Originally posted by gdelamora

Great job Tim on your HM. You'll be glad you're in a corral because it makes it easier to get to the start line. Kinda ironic.

KC - Great job getting first place!

Welcome to all the new members. Can't wait to hear your inputs.

I had a bad weekend training due to some unforeseen events like a honey do list from my wife. We are getting ready for our 2 and a half week vacation so we needed to get some things in order.

Yesterday I did a brick which helped me mentally. I did some hard hill courses and felt great. Today I'll do some running and core workouts. All in all I feel great and can't wait to go on vacation. The wife and I have a lot of endurance activities planned so I'm using them as part of my training. I know I'll get a lot of running in especially trail running and a lot of open water swimming. Vacation starts on Thursday and we'll be over on the 23rd.

Have a great week everyone,

2013-06-04 7:19 PM

User image

Awesome, thanks!

I haven't looked at the plans on the site. I just downloaded TriTrainer for the iPhone and set it up for my race in September. Does anyone have experience with it? I also have a dusty copy of Triathletes Training Bible around here somewhere.

Looking forward to hearing more about everyone's journey
2013-06-04 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome new members! You will learn a lot from this group!

Currently out of town and was able to run the Cooper Bridge this evening. Sometimes I love being out of town as it allows me to train in different cities.

Kathy
2013-06-05 1:32 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Welcome to Team RFP Mike, you'll have a great time with us, there is lots of experience here and we are all very passionate about the sport.
2013-06-05 1:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Thanks Tim. I ended up taking today off. I was planning on a light brick at the gym and then some weights, but my calf is still very tight and I'm paranoid about it aggravating my achilles. I've been training pretty consistently for the past 10 days so I figure a complete day's rest might be a good idea. Will give it another roll and massage tonight.

How is the DOMS today?

Originally posted by tmoran80

I have found a severe cramp will linger for days so you should back off your training a bit to prevent any further injury. When it feels better you should do some strength training to make the calves stronger - try doing the calf raises. it seemed to help me when I was having issues.

Probably a good idea now to re-introduce everyone to the group now that I will close it today!

2013-06-05 1:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
G'day Team,

Hope everyone is having a good week.

I have a bit of a mild dilemna. As most of you know I have a half marathon coming up soon, 7 weeks infact and I am way behind on my program. At the moment I could probably scratch out a 10K at best, so I'm wondering if I should drop back to the 10K and work towards a PB. Or stay down for the Half and just do it as a walk/run training session? Any thoughts?

Given that this will be my first half marathon, I'm inclined to drop back to a 10K and then save the half for when I can actually run one the whole way, which will be in October, about a month before Shep 70.3. The other thing is I don't want to risk an injury for a nothing race when I am just starting out on my IM plan.

Cheers for any advice.
2013-06-05 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
You need to give yourself a rest day each week or you are going to burn out or injure yourself real quick. You have to let your body recover.

Thanks -I am feeling much better today after my swim. it was mostly in my thighs so going downstairs was a killer especially since my office is upstairs and I have to go up and down a straight flight of about 20 steps all day. I normally use them as some type of training and try to bound up them and land as quiet as I can so everyone knew somethign was wrong with me as i looked like a senior citizen on the stairs haha.

Thanks Tim. I ended up taking today off. I was planning on a light brick at the gym and then some weights, but my calf is still very tight and I'm paranoid about it aggravating my achilles. I've been training pretty consistently for the past 10 days so I figure a complete day's rest might be a good idea. Will give it another roll and massage tonight.

How is the DOMS today?

2013-06-05 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
If it was me I would do the half marathon but use it as a training session for your IM. Nobody runs an IM marathon complete. You have to have some type of run/walk strategy so you might as well start working on it now. Plus it will help mentally for your 70.3 to know that you have completed two half marathons.

I think I mentioned this before but look into the Galloway Method of running. I used this during my IM training last year then I got stupid and stubborn and thought I could run the marathon at a decent pace. Guess what? I walked haha.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

Hope everyone is having a good week.

I have a bit of a mild dilemna. As most of you know I have a half marathon coming up soon, 7 weeks infact and I am way behind on my program. At the moment I could probably scratch out a 10K at best, so I'm wondering if I should drop back to the 10K and work towards a PB. Or stay down for the Half and just do it as a walk/run training session? Any thoughts?

Given that this will be my first half marathon, I'm inclined to drop back to a 10K and then save the half for when I can actually run one the whole way, which will be in October, about a month before Shep 70.3. The other thing is I don't want to risk an injury for a nothing race when I am just starting out on my IM plan.

Cheers for any advice.
2013-06-05 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
I have never heard of the TriTrainer but I don't have an iPhone. From experience with phone apps I find that they are convenient but lack on features that you would find on regular software.

One thing I highly recommend for everyone it to start logging your workouts using either the BT log here or something like Training Peaks. I also suggest using one of the free plans here and import it into your training log.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans...

The progress charts and data can be very useful. I have over 5 years of data in my log and can look back at different years and compare current training. Let me know if anyone needs help with the training log.

Make sure you log your workouts!! I like to just browse through every once in a while and see how everyone is doing but youneed to have something logged for me to see anything haha.

Awesome, thanks!

I haven't looked at the plans on the site. I just downloaded TriTrainer for the iPhone and set it up for my race in September. Does anyone have experience with it? I also have a dusty copy of Triathletes Training Bible around here somewhere.

Looking forward to hearing more about everyone's journey
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28