BT Development Mentor Program Archives » What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-01-09 12:16 AM
in reply to: perrykvn

User image

New user
Subject: RE: What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN!
Jeez. Good luck. Hopefully you finish before it gets too hot.

2014-01-09 12:21 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

New user
Quick question...Last Thursday I was running and about half way through a run I got a super sharp stabbing pain in my hip joint. Has anyone had this before? I looked up anything I could find on it, and it seems like it might be an IT band issue. I tried stretching afterward but I could tell it was still aggravated so I took some time off. I ran again tonight for the first time since, and felt just fine. I just was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to prevent it happening again. Or if it comes back how to remedy it. Thanks for any advice.
2014-01-09 7:09 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by perrykvn Flying out in the morning to compete in my first marathon on Sunday. Going to try to get in a short run tomorrow night. They have already posted heat advisory warnings. It should be in the low 80's. Florida decided not to participate in winter storm Hercules.
You need to recheck that forecast as its changed for the better on Sunday.  The front will be passing through on Sat/Sat night, 55F Sunday AM and high of 70F for Sunday with a North (dry) wind.

2014-01-09 7:13 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by perrykvn Flying out in the morning to compete in my first marathon on Sunday. Going to try to get in a short run tomorrow night. They have already posted heat advisory warnings. It should be in the low 80's. Florida decided not to participate in winter storm Hercules.

Good luck!

2014-01-09 8:11 AM
in reply to: skankey

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by skankey

Quick question...Last Thursday I was running and about half way through a run I got a super sharp stabbing pain in my hip joint. Has anyone had this before? I looked up anything I could find on it, and it seems like it might be an IT band issue. I tried stretching afterward but I could tell it was still aggravated so I took some time off. I ran again tonight for the first time since, and felt just fine. I just was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to prevent it happening again. Or if it comes back how to remedy it. Thanks for any advice.

I've never experienced or heard anyone experiencing anything like that. The closest thing I can think of was something my dad went through while skiing, and he had a frayed labrum.
His pain came and went too. I'd check with a doc
2014-01-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

Arden, North Carolina
So what's everyone's training looking like today? I had a swim this morning, it was unpleasant. I did 2600, planned 2900 but had to cut out 300 due to time. But the bad part was the pool temp again. It's down a tad from earlier this week but it still feels like it's in the upper 80's. Hoping it just makes me stronger in normal water.
And I have a 40 minute run tonight.

2014-01-09 9:59 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

So what's everyone's training looking like today?

I've got a 12 mi run tonight with 7 at half marathon pace. Hopefully my hip holds up.
2014-01-09 10:03 AM
in reply to: Chef Segreto

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Chef Segreto

I think I have to get a Swimming Coach.  I have to improve in my stroke and techniques.

Do it!

This is the shortest route from point A to point B. Do some research on local coaches - I'll even help you find them if you'd like - and you'll take a HUGE step in the right direction. 

People tend to avoid this route (price, pride, time, or many other reasons) but unless you're a fish, you can learn a TON and improve a lot in just a few sessions with a competent coach. 

2014-01-09 10:03 AM

User image

Pro

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!!

2014-01-09 10:09 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by skankey Quick question...Last Thursday I was running and about half way through a run I got a super sharp stabbing pain in my hip joint. Has anyone had this before? I looked up anything I could find on it, and it seems like it might be an IT band issue. I tried stretching afterward but I could tell it was still aggravated so I took some time off. I ran again tonight for the first time since, and felt just fine. I just was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to prevent it happening again. Or if it comes back how to remedy it. Thanks for any advice.

First of all: Not a doctor. Just a coach. Background is in Engineering...

Disclaimer: hip pain can be really serious. In Basic training for the Army, any mention of hip pain would get you a 3-day profile instantly (no physical activity at all)

Is it on the outside, like in this photo:

I've dealt with IT band pain, but in my knee. It gets tight and rubs on the bursa sac and causes pain.

If it is your IT band, these are my go-to exercises, along with foam rolling your entire leg - not just the band!

Even now, when I feel the tightness/pain coming on, doing this consistently keeps it at bay.

2014-01-09 10:11 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville So what's everyone's training looking like today? I had a swim this morning, it was unpleasant. I did 2600, planned 2900 but had to cut out 300 due to time. But the bad part was the pool temp again. It's down a tad from earlier this week but it still feels like it's in the upper 80's. Hoping it just makes me stronger in normal water. And I have a 40 minute run tonight.

Ug, high 80s in the pool makes me wanna barf!

Speaking of barfing, I've got an FTP test on the bike trainer tonight.

2014-01-09 10:13 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville So what's everyone's training looking like today? I had a swim this morning, it was unpleasant. I did 2600, planned 2900 but had to cut out 300 due to time. But the bad part was the pool temp again. It's down a tad from earlier this week but it still feels like it's in the upper 80's. Hoping it just makes me stronger in normal water. And I have a 40 minute run tonight.
I once swam some laps at the Y in the exercise pool that is kept at 86-88, had to stop after 400 yards as it was unbearable.

Ran 5 miles this morning with the dog, he's really getting in shape!  Felt my legs at the start from yesterdays trainer ride but came to me in no time.  Said bye-bye to the cold and mild humid air is back, ahhhh!

2014-01-09 10:15 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Your crazy for doing the double test, crazy I tell you!

2014-01-09 10:35 AM

Arden, North Carolina

Ugh, FTP tests on the bike trainer make me wanna barf!!! Have fun with that! I've had to slow my swimming down a bit to deal with the high temps. Going to a different pool tomorrow morning where they keep it sub 80. Looking forward to seeing the affect that has on my swim. I've been swimming in these mid to upper 80's temps for a while, so it'll be interesting to see if that has helped me or not.

I gotta figure out something for tomorrow for my cycling unless the rain holds off. My trainer started leaking so it's out of commission for now, and i'm supposed to ride. Temps look good , but chance of rain, ugh. May have to pay for the computrainer...ugh.
2014-01-09 10:37 AM
in reply to: Donto

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Donto

I once swam some laps at the Y in the exercise pool that is kept at 86-88, had to stop after 400 yards as it was unbearable.

Ran 5 miles this morning with the dog, he's really getting in shape!  Felt my legs at the start from yesterdays trainer ride but came to me in no time.  Said bye-bye to the cold and mild humid air is back, ahhhh!

I've very excited to have warm air again. low 60's here on saturday(but rain), and low 50's sunday but sun! Can't wait for an outdoor bike ride, it's been forever
2014-01-09 12:47 PM

Master
Northern IL

Some riding and swimming later. Neither of which should be hard. Been kind of sick the last few days. Never really felt that bad, but just enough to make working out look unappealing and to be very disruptive to sleep. Seem good enough to do something again, but going to pass on Masters tonight to go on my own.

2014-01-09 12:53 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by skankey Quick question...Last Thursday I was running and about half way through a run I got a super sharp stabbing pain in my hip joint. Has anyone had this before? I looked up anything I could find on it, and it seems like it might be an IT band issue. I tried stretching afterward but I could tell it was still aggravated so I took some time off. I ran again tonight for the first time since, and felt just fine. I just was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to prevent it happening again. Or if it comes back how to remedy it. Thanks for any advice.

I've had various things happen, but can't remember too much detail as it usually isn't persistent through several workouts.. Mostly it was slow down or even stop, try to get things to loosen up. Done if it doesn't. I didn't try to press through because of what Elaine said. Tend to do this for a number of pains.

2014-01-09 4:35 PM

User image

Thank you Elaine.  I will check on my local Aquatics center for a coach. How much do you think this cost  per session?

BTW, I had to change my username since it goes more with the theme

2014-01-09 5:17 PM

User image

New user

Disclaimer: hip pain can be really serious. In Basic training for the Army, any mention of hip pain would get you a 3-day profile instantly (no physical activity at all)

I've dealt with IT band pain, but in my knee. It gets tight and rubs on the bursa sac and causes pain.

If it is your IT band, these are my go-to exercises, along with foam rolling your entire leg - not just the band!

Even now, when I feel the tightness/pain coming on, doing this consistently keeps it at bay.

Thats exactly where the pain is. I will try those IT exercises and try and roll out. Thanks.
2014-01-09 6:24 PM

User image

St Tammany Parish
Really glad this cold snap is almost over. I am so used to the weather in the southwest and south my blood is super thin. I wanted to actually get out on the road and ride my bike today but it was in the low 40s this morning which is too cold for me. So another spin class.

7 day forecast is for great weather in the 70s and mid 60s so next week I ought to be able to ride outside. I was proud of myself though as much as I hate indoor training I got all of my workouts in at the gym. Fortunately the workouts are still short. If I have to do a 2 hour ride or 8 mile run inside I might have to eat a bullet.
2014-01-09 6:34 PM
in reply to: WyattEarp

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

OK question for you all.  Who here incorporates CSS or Critical Swim Speed testing and pace into their swim training? 

http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html

I recently heard about this and like the concept as its based on "testing" and is adaptable to any distance as the CSS Pace is determined between 2 distances and times.  So if you're like me and don't swim much but need to build I can test at short distances and extend as I progress.

2014-01-09 8:47 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro

OK question for you all.  Who here incorporates CSS or Critical Swim Speed testing and pace into their swim training? 

I recently heard about this and like the concept as its based on "testing" and is adaptable to any distance as the CSS Pace is determined between 2 distances and times.  So if you're like me and don't swim much but need to build I can test at short distances and extend as I progress.

I don't regularly test my own swimming - I've been a swimmer since age 5, swam in college, all that good stuff.

Currently, though, my CSS is roughly my pace used throughout my swim practice. I swim in the 1:20/100 yd lane, and our intervals are based off of that on distance days. So, I use it, but don't usually test.

I do test with my clients though - and for two reasons: 1. to gauge progress, so they can see their improvement clearly, and 2. to adjust workouts. I usually use the 200/800 for most of them, but I may consider the CSS with a new client I just got, who isn't currently swimming long enough workouts to justify an 800m TT.

2014-01-09 8:48 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by skankey

Thats exactly where the pain is. I will try those IT exercises and try and roll out. Thanks.

You can also ice directly on the bursa sac. 

2014-01-09 9:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't regularly test my own swimming - I've been a swimmer since age 5, swam in college, all that good stuff.

Currently, though, my CSS is roughly my pace used throughout my swim practice. I swim in the 1:20/100 yd lane, and our intervals are based off of that on distance days. So, I use it, but don't usually test.

I do test with my clients though - and for two reasons: 1. to gauge progress, so they can see their improvement clearly, and 2. to adjust workouts. I usually use the 200/800 for most of them, but I may consider the CSS with a new client I just got, who isn't currently swimming long enough workouts to justify an 800m TT.

I don't really test either. On my own, there is no clock to use anyway. At masters there is, but I usually have a decent sense of what I can accomplish. I'll generally get into the fastest lane I think I can do. We've had some nice additions since summer and so more people up towards the faster end (for us at least). Always a couple on the border between lanes as the times will be close now. Right now I'm also swimming at ~1:20/100 on longer stuff and should be able to pick it back up quickly enough if I can stop having various sickness problems.

2014-01-09 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Evening everyone!Hope everyone's had a great day.Just finished an hour plus on the trainer, came up to make a post workout snack, and wondered what everyone here does for theirs?Mine tonight:Four mini pita stuffed with fresh spinach and humus, biggest tomato I could find, sliced with a "little" Parmesan :-)Most excellent.....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 99024 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16125 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29610 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : January 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on the off season, maximum amount of days one should be running, heart-rate zone testing and outdoor off season strength workouts.
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.