BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-01-21 1:39 AM
in reply to: sundevil87

User image

Chelmsford, England
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - OPEN

morning guys, for anybody that is unaware of how we can help each other out with this table. the links will take you to each of the groups training log where you can leave inspires, be it words of wisdom, congratulations or encouragement.

for this to work your training log needs to be updated and open for all to see

to do this go into your settings / training log settings / privacy / everyone can view or only my friends can view

2014-01-21 7:56 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

Simsbury, CT

this race will be a challenge distance, 800m/43km/10km then after that I have a sprint 750/28/5. I have a few more sprints later on and a Marathon in october

Tri kit should do it. In the absence of it, I would probably swim with jammers under my wetsuit and no shirt.   in transition I would probably put on a pair of biking shorts and biking jersey.   and for the run, I would probably take the biking shorts off.  Something to keep in mind, putting on a jersey over wet skin gets tricky as the fabric tends to stick to it.  

2014-01-21 9:40 AM
in reply to: Armandova

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Armandova

Tri kit should do it. In the absence of it, I would probably swim with jammers under my wetsuit and no shirt.   in transition I would probably put on a pair of biking shorts and biking jersey.   and for the run, I would probably take the biking shorts off.  Something to keep in mind, putting on a jersey over wet skin gets tricky as the fabric tends to stick to it.  

I only have a all in one cycle suit with the padding so by the sounds of things it will be.

Nike Dri Fit underwear and top
cycle suit
running top
2014-01-21 10:19 AM

User image

Thanks Armando! I don't plan on buying a tri suit yet ... just a swim suit first. I think I own goggles somewhere. So I'll start there (for swimming, at least). For biking, I don't need anything, but to learn "how" to be an appropriate biker ... and how to fix a flat, stuff like that.

Also, holy crap, it is definitely overwhelming how much info is out there. I saw some recs above of a couple books, so I will definitely give those a try.

Thanks so much!

2014-01-21 10:28 AM

User image

Hi Thom! Thanks so much!

I'm definitely awful at making sure I stay injury free (i.e. the stress fracture). I've always hated physical therapy, and I'm awful at continuing to do the exercises or stretches I ought to be doing. I'm working on strengthening my hips (an issue for MANY years at this point and potentially the reason for my knee problems). I'm trying to figure out where I'll swim, and to take lessons, etc. so I hope to figure that out by March. I know another girl doing her first tri at the same race (she's doing the sprint though) and her husband is already a triathlete, so he may help with swimming.

Right now I'm excited, nervous, and overwhelmed. One thing at a time

2014-01-21 12:44 PM
in reply to: eengelha

User image

, California

I'm very nervous about the swimming. I don't even have a suit yet! Or any tri apparel at all. I'm also nervous about transitions (inhaler! food! sunglasses! water! hair! etc.). I'm not sure what specific questions I have, but I'm sure they'll come up here shortly

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about too much equipment.

When I started training all I had were some goggles, a swim cap, running shoes and a stop watch - oh and a very heavy trek fitness bike. That was pretty much all I needed even though I was enticed by all the other training gadgets. I ended up getting a tri-wet suit through the race I signed up for and bought a pair of tri shorts and a dri-fit tank for race day.   If you have a bit of a bust, most tri tops won't fit. I wanted to be sure I enjoyed triathlons before I really invested much in gear. You will probably need less than you think.

Enjoy your training!

2014-01-21 1:24 PM
in reply to: MamacitaT

User image

Not much bust, so no worries there

I expect to invest in a tri suit, though I thought I read a wet suit was unneccessary for this race, so I'll have to confirm that. I don't think there's much else I really need, like you said. I think a lot of what I have from years of running should be fine until race day. Glad to know I don't really need much else!

Soooooooo to the mentors, if I do an oly in June, how likely is it that I can do a HIM in September? Y'know, just thinking ahead

2014-01-21 7:26 PM

Simsbury, CT

Updated

Jan 
FebArmando - Colchester 1/2 Marathon?
March:Armando - O'Hartoford 5k
AprilArmando - Middletown Legends 1/2 Marathon
MayArmando - Ragnar Cape Cod - Ultra
June

Thom - Boulder HIM

Thom - Ragnar Wasatch Back Ultra

Armando - Syracuse/Mont Tremblant 1/2 IM ?

July

Thom - Boulder Peak Tri ?

Armando - IM Lake Placid

August

Thom - Boulder IM

Armando - Niantic bay tri - sprint ?

Sept

Thom - Nations Tri ?

Thom - Ragnar - Napa Valley ?

OctArmando - Hartford Marathon
NovThom - Hits Lake Havasu Iron Distance
Dec 

2014-01-21 7:27 PM
in reply to: 0

Simsbury, CT

Updated - If you click on Quote, the table should appear making it easier to update

Jan 
FebArmando - Colchester 1/2 Marathon?
MarArmando - O'Hartford 5k
AprArmando - Middletown Legends 1/2 Marathon
June

Thom - Boulder HIM

Armando - Ironhorse 1/2 Marathon

July

Armando - IM Lake Placid

Aug

Thom - Boulder IM

Sept

Thom - Nations Tri ?

OctArmando - Hartford Marathon
Nov

Thom - Hits Lake Havasu Iron Distance

Armando - Thanksgiving 5k

Dec 

Edited by Armandova 2014-01-21 7:31 PM
2014-01-21 7:32 PM

User image

Columbia, Missouri
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but today in Missouri it was pretty cold (20F). I have access to an indoor track, but it is at the University so it is always filled with undergraduate students so my run turns into more of an obstacle course. How cold is too cold to run/bike outside?

Another question: On days you do two events, how do you set up your training? Do you do both events back to back, one in the morning/other in the evening? Do you swim first and do your second event second? Does it matter?

And finally: Starting to get a few sore leg muscles today, though it is nothing indicative of a severe injury. I saw Thom mention trigger point release (foam rollers?) but I was wondering what everyone else does to help in muscle recovery? I've always been a hot tub and massage out the sore muscles type of guy, but I am interested to see what works for everyone else.

Thanks everyone and I hope the week has started off well!

Derek
2014-01-21 7:34 PM

User image

Columbia, Missouri
Jan
Feb Armando - Colchester 1/2 Marathon?
Mar Armando - O'Hartford 5k
Apr Armando - Middletown Legends 1/2 Marathon
May Armando - Ragnar Cape Cod - Ultra

Derek - Trizou Sprint Triathlon, Columbia MO

June
Thom - Boulder HIM

July

Armando - IM Lake Placid

Aug
Thom - Boulder IM

Sept
Thom - Nations Tri ?

Oct Armando - Hartford Marathon
Nov

Dec

2014-01-21 7:37 PM

Simsbury, CT

Originally posted by eengelha

Soooooooo to the mentors, if I do an oly in June, how likely is it that I can do a HIM in September? Y'know, just thinking ahead

Hi Liz, 

I think that is aggressive but if you do your training with the 1/2IM as your goal and the others as training to test your progress, I am sure you could do it.   You have ample time and a history with running so that will not be a problem.   Swimming and biking is where I would focus if I were you.  This may actually be a good thing given your running injury history.  

a

2014-01-21 7:52 PM

Simsbury, CT

I could see the affect in my cadence count which was up. I try for a 90 (180) step per/minute cadence which is recommended by top coaches. That has been discovered to be the optimal count. I was a little off - at 87 average for the six or so miles. My coach backed me down to runs of only an hour in length verses the 1 1/2 hours I had edged up to. Felt it was too far too soon after the long layoff. I'm glad for the reduction. I am also experimenting with a Saucany 4mm drop shoe. I normally run in an Altra zero drop shoe. But I was somewhat concerned that they may have been the cause of my problem last summer. The thought being was that even though the first half of the season was fine, the cumulative effect of running on zero drops and an increase too quickly after a decrease in volume in mid-season might have been the underlying cause of my heel problem. Thom

Thom, 

Glad to hear things are progressing for you.   Last year after the IM, I rewarded myself with a new pair of Newton running shoes.  Everyone was wearing them, including my brother so I had to try them.   I did a lot of reading and unlike what I did when I tried the Five Fingers, I started slowly, only running a couple of miles at the time.   I thought I had done it properly until I started to increase my distance in prep for the October marathon.   3 miles into my long run on a Saturday, my right calf, tendon, started to ache.  A few more steps and I had to stop.   Luckily I listened to my body and stopped running entirely for 3 weeks, until all the pain was gone.  I then went back to my Mizuno Wave Riders.    After the Marathon i put a few more miles on the Newtons but nothing of significance.  I plan on continuing to run with them at the track when I do my speed workouts and eventually, I may try to use them for long runs.   If it does not work out, I will stick with the Mizuno's which have worked out great for me.  The allure of the zero drop shoes is there but if it is not broken, why fix it.   I have gained much more by shortening my stride and focusing on the 90 steps/min. which I can do on any shoe.   BTW - The book Faster explains why this is more efficient.   I like the book, skip all the technical details, but love to learn about the concepts. 

a

2014-01-21 8:39 PM

User image

I'd love to join this mentor group if there is still room! I'm new to the sport, and it would be a great opportunity to discuss things with and learn from others.

NAME: Meghan (WayWay)

STORY: I'm a 26 year old teacher (high school Chemistry and Physics) and coach (softball), originally from Chicago-land who now lives in Northern Virginia. I'm a former swimmer, though my pool attendance has been sporadic since high school. I've done a few (slow) half marathons and a marathon relay, though nothing since 2011, since my attempts at liking and sticking with running have been thus far unsuccessful. (I'm secretly hoping I can help myself learn to like it in combination with the other two sports...it's like the sports equivalent of putting cheese on vegetables to make kids eat them :-)! ) Cycling is my most recent love. When I moved to Northern VA, it was hard not to notice all of the beautiful scenery and the biking opportunities. I got fitted for and purchased a bike last spring, joined my local cyclists' group and hit the road. I've met some great people this way, and watching myself improve so much at cycling over one summer is one reason that I want to get into triathlon.

As far as triathlon goes, I've never done one before! I'm so excited to start though and have been reading a lot since last fall. I love that it combines several sports, since once of my biggest complaints about just swimming or running is that I get bored.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 2 years to a wonderful man who is very supportive of all my harebrained ideas. We have 2 cats (and no kids, which is the way I like it).

CURRENT TRAINING: I cycled very regularly last summer and wanted to continue that into the fall/winter. I worked hard last summer to acclimate myself to the hills around here and didn't want to lose it! I joined my local Y once it got cold to take advantage of cycling classes and pool access. Since November, I've been doing cycling classes 2-3 times per week.

Swimming has really picked up for me, especially since December. I've been getting into the pool 2-3 times per week. Depending on the day, my swims range anywhere from 1600-3000 yards.

I'm still in the process of trying to re-build my running base, but I try to get in 30-40 minutes 2-3 times a week right now. I'm working in intervals at least once a week to help increase my speed, since I'm pretty sure the last time I ran outside I got passed by a turtle. Running is the sport I'm the worst at and like least, so it's also the hardest for me to get excited about.

I also coach softball at the high school level, and I strength train alongside my players during our pre-season workouts. I get in a mix of different lifts, core work, and circuits with them once or twice a week.

2014 RACES: The only one for which I am currently signed up is the Chasing Chicken Reverse Sprint on 4/6. I'm still trying to decide what #2 will be, though I want one with an open water swim. There are several that happen very close to home, so it's a matter of biting the bullet and choosing one! If the first two aren't totally horrific and don't scare me away forever, my goal is to get in three sprints and end my season with an Olympic distance at the end of the fall.

WEIGHT LOSS: I am not a tiny woman, and I can most certainly stand to lose a few pounds that have crept on since high school. However, the number on the scale is not my primary concern, because it will probably always sound high to most women. Genetics alone made me tall (5' 9") and pretty darn muscular, so I will more than likely always qualify for the Athena category. (Essentially, I'm dense.) Feeling good, working hard to achieve my goals, and eating well are what I want to focus on. If weight loss accompanies all of that (and it more than likely will), then great, but right now, I'm not envisioning any magic number for myself.

Edited by WayWay 2014-01-21 9:17 PM
2014-01-22 4:43 AM
in reply to: WayWay

User image

Chelmsford, England
NUTRITION

I have a question guys, I have started to look at the labels of the foods that I am eating but I am not really sure about what I am supposedto be looking for. What's good what's bad, what's a high amount, what do I want more/less off.

What do I need less off and what should I cut out for weight loss. ???

Example a fruit cake bar compared to crunch bar

Fruit cake
Energy 552kj / 131Kcal
Protein 1.2g
Carbohydrates 25.2g
Of which sugars 12.1g
Fat 3g
Of which saturates 0.7g
Fibre 1.3g
Sodium* 0.1g
*equivalent as salt 0.2g

Crunch bar
Energy 806kj / 192Kcal
Fat 7.4g
Of which saturates 1.3g
Carbohydrates 26.9g
Of which sugars 11.6g
Fibre 2.5g
Protein 3.3g
Salt 0.3g

Wotsits
Energy 402kj / 96Kcal
Fat 5.8g
Of which saturates 0.7g
Carbohydrates 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 0.2g
Protein 1g
Sodium* 0.13g
*equivalent as salt 0.34g

Walkers
Energy 542kj / 130Kcal
Fat 7.7g
Of which saturates 0.6g
Carbohydrates 13.2g
Of which sugars 0.7g
Fibre 1.1g
Protein 1.6g
Salt 0.3g
2014-01-22 8:54 AM

User image

If there is room I'd love to join here!

NAME: AlexJouJou (but you can call me Jo for short as my real name is Joellen)

STORY: I'm not usually brief but I'll give it a try (pun intended). Single 47 year old female. I was the most un-athletic chubby child in the neighborhood but also the bossiest. I was the one organizing all the sports and fun but not playing any of them all to well. I come from MN so grew up in an active environment. Hated running, loved my bike and swam like crazy but not in any formalized way. Spent summers swimming at the lakes. Survived anorexia and bulimia as a teen (76 lbs when I graduated high school and I'm 5'1") and out of that came an intense desire to be fit. Late teens/early twenties found me being very athletic - bodybuilding, doing aerobics, working out 4-6 hours per day while I was in college. I was very fit and looked great. Then I moved to Southern California - and, while I wasn't a couch potato, I wasn't very active. Cost of living meant multiple jobs and I was too tired often to enjoy the beautiful weather. Got married and had 2 kids. The youngest (my son) was born with a chromosome deletion which meant years in therapy, hospitals, etc. He also has violent behavior tendencies and now lives with his Dad in Georgia. My daughter (who is going to be 18 this year - Oiy!) lives with me in DC Metro area. 2010 was really the turning point year for me. My son finally became stable enough for me to have a life (most of his medical issues are heart related and he is now doing well after open heart surgery) and I was bound and determined to do so. After assessment I found myself woefully out of shape (years out of shape) and, at 165 lbs, not an ideal weight. After a Dr. visit where they wanted to put me on lipitor and high blood pressure meds I knew I had to do something. My refrain became "No Lipitor at 44" and it was highly motivating!

I started doing the elliptical. Over the course of a year got down to 135 lbs (where I am now) and increased my endurance and fitness level. I maintained that through a move from San Diego to the DC area (great new job with better money) and, while this might sound odd, found much more love for the outdoors here. I love having my seasons back (even if one is miserable) and there is so much to do outdoors. Late last summer decided to start running. I was always afraid of it. I'm slow (think 10-11 minute mile if I'm pushing it) and prone to injury if I'm not careful. I did a C25K program and ended up loving running. I had a bucket list item to run a 10K by the time I was 50. I'm registered for one in April 14.

I first started loving triathlon in the early 80's from the Ironman races (which I'd follow in magazines) but never in a million years thought I'd think about doing it myself (admiring from afar..yes...doing it..not so much). Then I started talking to people and found all sorts of folks doing them and now there are sprint and other distances so it seems obtainable. Since I knew I wanted to do biking and swimming to cross train while training for the 10K it seemed ideal. In the last two weeks I bought a bike, rode it, and got back in the water - both things I have not done since 1994. 20 years. As it turns out getting back on the bike was pretty easy overall. Though I've a long way to go to be comfortable on it for hills, turns, etc. Swimming is as tough as I remember - that seems like it might be a weak area for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Single mom of two (only one lives with me). Love being single and having to answer to myself.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for a Half Marathon (HM) in April. Iron Girl Columbia in MD. Right now I'm up to an 8 mile run on Sat or Sun and 4 miles twice a week. I do the Galloway Run/Walk method and am currently doing a 3:1 ratio. For 5K distances I run straight through but Galloway has allowed me to very comfortably increase my endurance. My goals are not to get a best time or really compete with others. I want to enjoy the journey, to push myself to be the best I can be, and to feel the sense of accomplishment I get after reaching a goal. Staying fit and keeping all those meds away is also a motivator. I also love the way my body feels when it is fit - there is nothing like it.

2013 RACES: Gobble Wobble 5K Nov 13 (36:45), 5K's of Christmas Dec 13 (34:13)

2014 RACES: Committment Day 5K Columbia MD Jan 1st 14 (32:35), Sole of the City 10K - Baltimore April 2014, Iron Girl Half Marathon - Columbia MD April 2014, eyeing the Iron Girl Triathlon and Rocky Gap Triathlon in August and September of 2014 respectively. I'm a planner and I think 8 months is a good time to train! My primary training focus right now is the half marathon - to make sure I can do the mileage.

WEIGHT LOSS: I had some. Might get some more. I am far more concerned with how I look and feel then weight. In the back of my mind my years of starving myself weigh heavily and I don't think it would be hard to do that again (I have an amazing amount of willpower or stubbornness and once I set a goal I give it 180% to achieve). I eat healthy - having a preference for whole food and healthy eating. I do need to be a bit better on planning of the nutrition. I don't eat much after 5pm so try to get most of my calories and nutrition prior. That makes morning workouts very tough for me so I tend to be a later morning/afternoon/evening workout person. I need to eat 2 hours before working out or I feel nauseous.

So I'm a newbie in exploratory phase I think I've got the running down but swimming and cycling are a challenge. It feels weird to say swimming (when I did it for fun in the lake) was never hard but put me in a freestyle environment and I get nervous. I also just realized (at my advanced age, ahem) that I hold my breath underwater. Years of swimming lessons and mediocre swim performance and I just now figured that out. So goal one is to stop doing that and to learn proper form. I signed up for lessons starting 2/11 for 4 weeks. The pool and gym is a block from my house so that makes things very easy as far as location. I am enjoying my bike and also bought a Mag Trainer which I like - but it's early days so looking to figure out more how to train cycle.

I currently need to figure out a training plan for the bike parts and swimming. I think it might be clearer on the swimming after my lessons but would love any advice. I read SwimSmooth and Total Immersion Swimming. In SS terms I am a bambino - still having fear of the water, holding my breath, and feeling the drag of lower hips/legs in the water.

This is such an interesting group - I've been reading your posts for an hour! Lots to inspire in them!

2014-01-22 11:04 AM

User image

Originally posted by DaBen

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but today in Missouri it was pretty cold (20F). I have access to an indoor track, but it is at the University so it is always filled with undergraduate students so my run turns into more of an obstacle course. How cold is too cold to run/bike outside?

Another question: On days you do two events, how do you set up your training? Do you do both events back to back, one in the morning/other in the evening? Do you swim first and do your second event second? Does it matter?

And finally: Starting to get a few sore leg muscles today, though it is nothing indicative of a severe injury. I saw Thom mention trigger point release (foam rollers?) but I was wondering what everyone else does to help in muscle recovery? I've always been a hot tub and massage out the sore muscles type of guy, but I am interested to see what works for everyone else.

Thanks everyone and I hope the week has started off well!

Derek

I'm always sore to some degree when I add distance and such to my runs. I use the orange Grid foam roller and "The Stick" and they have solved the vast majority of my aches. I try to do them everyday which seems to provide the most benefit. It made a HUGE difference when I started doing this. I've always stretched and stretch quite well after a run but these two items have really cut down on soreness markedly. I wear compression socks or calf sleeves as well when running and that also helps.

One other thing I use regularly is Bioron Arnicare Cream (I get mine from amazon) and this is the other thing that has made a huge difference. It's a homeopathic cream. Without veering too much into personal stuff in other areas of my life I have used arnica for bruising for some years now due to some other activities (not of the athletic kind)...and it works very well. This cream has been wonderful on my calves/glutes/hamstrings when they are sore.

I do get massages at least 1x a month - but the foam roller/stick, arnica cream, and the compression socks/sleeves make sure that I am relatively pain and soreness free most times.

Edited by AlexJouJou 2014-01-22 11:09 AM
2014-01-22 12:07 PM

User image

, California

Originally posted by Jynxy NUTRITION I have a question guys, I have started to look at the labels of the foods that I am eating but I am not really sure about what I am supposedto be looking for. What's good what's bad, what's a high amount, what do I want more/less off. What do I need less off and what should I cut out for weight loss. ??? Example a fruit cake bar compared to crunch bar Fruit cake Energy 552kj / 131Kcal Protein 1.2g Carbohydrates 25.2g Of which sugars 12.1g Fat 3g Of which saturates 0.7g Fibre 1.3g Sodium* 0.1g *equivalent as salt 0.2g Crunch bar Energy 806kj / 192Kcal Fat 7.4g Of which saturates 1.3g Carbohydrates 26.9g Of which sugars 11.6g Fibre 2.5g Protein 3.3g Salt 0.3g Wotsits Energy 402kj / 96Kcal Fat 5.8g Of which saturates 0.7g Carbohydrates 9.8g Of which sugars 1.2g Fibre 0.2g Protein 1g Sodium* 0.13g *equivalent as salt 0.34g Walkers Energy 542kj / 130Kcal Fat 7.7g Of which saturates 0.6g Carbohydrates 13.2g Of which sugars 0.7g Fibre 1.1g Protein 1.6g Salt 0.3g

Hi Joe

When I look at snacks, I try and stay away from anything processed. I like to snack on some nuts or fruit if I want something salty, crunchy or sweet. I like peanuts or almonds with a banana or some dates if I want something sweet. They all contain a good amount of fiber; however, I know that sometimes we need to eat what is at hand and that can be a protein bar and therefore processed.

I look for the lowest amount of sugar possible, highest fiber and protein content. The fat is dependent on the ingredient, does it come from nuts, avocados or a good oil then I don't worry about it, if it is from hydrogenated oils or other "bad" fats I will stay away from it.( Walkers and Wotsits)  There are 4 grams of sugar in a teaspoon so your fruit cake has 3 teaspoons of sugar in the serving which to me a quite a bit. I don't know how much of that is natural sugar from the fruit, but you may want to look at the ingredient list as well. Sometimes if you imagine putting 3 tsp of sugar in a bowl and eating it, you would walk away. I used to do this for my son because he loves sugary foods. The visual is a good way to start edging away from high sugar foods and getting an idea of how much sugar is in so many foods, even foods that CLAIM to be healthy- It will amaze you.

One of the biggest changes I have made is to start eating more "whole foods" or foods that are as close to their original form as possible. I have switched out processed cereals in the morning for eggs with veggies or if I have cereal it is steel cut oatmeal with berries and a tad of cinnamon. ( it tastes like pie to me) It may take a week or two to train your taste buds.  Now when I eat something that is fried or processed, I don't like the greasy feel in my mouth and it no longer tastes good. Don't get me wrong , home made chocolate chip cookies still taste amazing and I have them here and there, but overall eat mostly unprocessed foods. If it comes in a package, I most likely won't eat it. ( excluding cheeses, frozen and canned vegetables)

To be honest, I wouldn't choose any of the snacks listed. Again, try for some nuts and banana or find a good protein bar for convenience( I am not familiar what is available in the UK)  If you really like salty crunchy snacks, you can roast some chick peas in olive oil, chili powder, kosher salt and other spices. They really are delicious.

I hope this helps

2014-01-22 12:38 PM
in reply to: benhamderek

User image

January 
FebruaryArmando - Colchester 1/2 Marathon?
MarchArmando - O'Hartford 5k
AprilArmando - Middletown Legends 1/2 Marathon
Liz - Flying Pig 1/2 Marathon
JuneThom - Boulder HIM
Liz - Cincinnati Triathlon (oly)
JulyThom - Boulder Peak Tri ?
Armando - IM Lake Placid
AugustThom - Boulder IM
SeptemberThom - Nations Tri ?
OctoberArmando - Hartford Marathon
NovemberThom - Hits Lake Havasu Iron Distance
December 

Added my 2 races to the above. Fall races are TBD

2014-01-22 2:54 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England
January
February Armando - Colchester 1/2 Marathon?
March Armando - O'Hartford 5k
April Armando - Middletown Legends 1/2 Marathon
May Armando - Ragnar Cape Cod - Ultra
Jynxy - Big East Triathlon - Challenge
June Thom - Boulder HIM
Jynxy (and wife) - Rotary River Run 10K
July Thom - Boulder Peak Tri ?
Armando - IM Lake Placid
Jynxy - Maldon Triathlon - Sprint
August Thom - Boulder IM
Jynxy - Clacton - Sprint
September Thom - Nations Tri ?
October Armando - Hartford Marathon
November Thom - Hits Lake Havasu Iron Distance
December
2014-01-22 4:31 PM
in reply to: WayWay

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by WayWay

I'd love to join this mentor group if there is still room! I'm new to the sport, and it would be a great opportunity to discuss things with and learn from others.

NAME: Meghan (WayWay)

Hi Meghan,

We'd love to have you. As you can tell, the group discussion has really picked up as we've added a couple of new members.

I was a swimmer in high school (not very good, but I helped fill out the team ). Of all the sports, getting to the pool and working out seems like a chore for me. I blame it on all the 5 AM workouts when I was a kid. But - I do make it through all my swim events.

If you want a recommendation for a late season Olympic distance race to culminate the season I would offer up the Nations Tri in September. A great race. I did that a few years ago and loved it. It is on my tentative list for this year. Whether I do it or not depends on if I'm traveling to the area for work.

Glad to have you on board and look forward to your contributions.

Thom

2014-01-22 4:47 PM
in reply to: AlexJouJou

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by AlexJouJou

If there is room I'd love to join here!

NAME: AlexJouJou (but you can call me Jo for short as my real name is Joellen)

2014 RACES: Committment Day 5K Columbia MD Jan 1st 14 (32:35), Sole of the City 10K - Baltimore April 2014, Iron Girl Half Marathon - Columbia MD April 2014, eyeing the Iron Girl Triathlon and Rocky Gap Triathlon in August and September of 2014 respectively. I'm a planner and I think 8 months is a good time to train! My primary training focus right now is the half marathon - to make sure I can do the mileage.

I currently need to figure out a training plan for the bike parts and swimming. I think it might be clearer on the swimming after my lessons but would love any advice. I read SwimSmooth and Total Immersion Swimming. In SS terms I am a bambino - still having fear of the water, holding my breath, and feeling the drag of lower hips/legs in the water.

Hi Jo - first, welcome to the group. We definitely have room for another - though I think you'll be the last. We can handle the number of folks we have because there is more than just me helping to mentor. Both Dan and Armando have experience and give great advice. Our newbies are also sharing which is helping us all out.

You have a great story and I enjoyed reading it. I'm glad you stopped by this group and decided to share with us.

Since you are in the DC area - there are some really great events out your way - I would also offer up the Nations Tri to you. It is in September. I did it on Sept 11 of a couple years ago when I returned from a year in the Middle East. You really can't ask for more in terms of a venue.

I am a big fan of Swim Smooth. When I self coach I use their Ironman plan. I keep looking for a stateside clinic from them but haven't found one yet. I also like TI.

There are some great plan options here on BT. From the set plans to the customizable plans you're sure to find something that works - and at a reasonable cost (IMHO). They (BT) don't ask us to hawk their plans, I truly find them very useful and a value purchase. I used them when I got started in the sport and eventually signed up with their first (I believe) advising coach for direct coaching. His team is out of Boulder, CO which is not too far from where I live. I like that I run into my coach at events that I do around Colorado.

Anyway, welcome aboard I look forward to witnessing our progress in this great sport.

Thom
2014-01-22 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed
2014-01-22 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group Race Calendar

January

February:
Armando - Colchester 1/2 Marathon?

March:
Armando - O'Hartford 5k

April:
Armando - Middletown Legends 1/2 Marathon

May:
Armando - Ragnar Cape Cod - Ultra

June:
Thom - Boulder HIM

July:
Armando - IM Lake Placid

August:
Thom - Boulder IM
Jynxy - Clacton - Sprint

September:
Thom - Nations Tri ?

October:
Armando - Hartford Marathon

November:

December
2014-01-22 7:21 PM

User image

, California

We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group Race Calendar

January

February:
Armando - Colchester 1/2 Marathon?

March:
Armando - O'Hartford 5k

Tara -Huntington Beach Half Marathon

April:
Armando - Middletown Legends 1/2 Marathon

Tara - Napa Valley Triathlon ( Sprint) ??

May:
Armando - Ragnar Cape Cod - Ultra

June:
Thom - Boulder HIM

Tara - Redondo Beach Triathlon (sprint)

July:
Armando - IM Lake Placid

Tara - June Lake Triathlon (sprint)

August:
Thom - Boulder IM
Jynxy - Clacton - Sprint

Tara -Long Beach Triathlon (sprint)

Tara - Mammoth Mud Run

September:
Thom - Nations Tri ?

October:
Armando - Hartford Marathon

TaraSeal Beach Triathlon 

November:

December

Tara - Palm Springs triathlon - ? perhaps and Oly
REPORT SPAM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 55522 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37524 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.