BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-02-04 10:43 AM
in reply to: #674805

Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
It may come as a surprise, but I have *not* dropped off the face of the planet! Despite my abysmal posting record, my training has been going very well (even if the weight loss hasn't - got stuck at 9lbs because I'm eating out too much and snacking on junk!). I'm up to 200 yds in the pool (ok, I rest between laps, but less than I used to!), 4 miles on the bike (had gotten to 100W but did my first @ 115W on Friday - wow), and am now jogging at intervals instead of just walking. Coming from such terrible shape, it's great to always be improving and challenging myself. Yesterday I bumped from walking 4, jogging 1 to walking 5, jogging 2, and it was *tough* but felt really awesome - and it was a 35 minute session! Earlier in the week I found that I could sort of run the 1 min intervals, but had a really hard time recovering so I decided to try to jog them instead, especially for the 2-minutes. It's hard to believe that today is the last day of week 4 of training! This has been incredible for me.

I finally caved and got a swimcap, which, remarkably, made swimming a lot easier! I suddenly felt like I could focus more, and it's much easier to breathe when wet hair isn't slopping into your mouth. I'm really struggling with how to kick properly in the freestyle, though. I feel like I'm working harder, not smarter, but don't know what I need to be doing.

In the gear dept, I also picked up a better pair of running shoes at a local sports store that was going out of business - Saucony for $35! My other shoes were cheap and they really just didn't fit right. Haven't worn the new ones yet but will tomorrow for my treadmill work.

I do have a question now... what do you all eat before/after a workout? I frankly don't know what my body needs, and want to be sure I'm providing it. I also think I need to try training in the AM instead of PM - less chance of scheduling conflicts, and then I can be home sometime before 8pm! When do you all train?

It sounds like you all have been doing well - I look forward to reading more and posting more!

Rachel

2007-02-04 1:55 PM
in reply to: #633548

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Rachel - WOO HOO!!! It sounds like you are doing awesome! Isn't it exciting how many improvements can be made in such a short month

To answer your questions. I generally exercise at different times depending on what it is I'm doing. For swimming I usually need to do this in the AM because it's hard for me to get into the pool at the end of the day. I can usually do my run training morning, noon or night depending on the weather and since I'm biking mostly on my bike trainer I do that in the morning or night as well. I like getting workouts done in the morning so my night is open if I need to work late, do errands or see friends.

In the morning I eat a banana before I start and then usually do a GU or pack of Sports Beans about 30 minutes in. For swimming I can't really handle a granola bar or something so I mix some GU20 and take it between sets. After workouts I eat some granola and rice milk or a granola bar.

I'm off to ride my bike before the Super Bowl. How's everyone else doing? 

2007-02-04 4:58 PM

New user
Renton, WA
I haven't posted in awhile. I am up to 800 m in the pool with rests at every 100. I'm not sure how far to work up to for an 800 m swim in open water. I know the pool is much easier, there is no line on the bottom of the late to follow

Went skiing on Friday and am sore all over from a nasty fall. I saw on the Danskin website that they will be open for online registration on Feb 16th.

We are off to Spain this week and will return on Feb 25th. the trip will take a toll on my diet and exercise program, but figure we will be doing lots of walking and I hope to find a swimming pool in at least a couple of places.

Keep up the good work everyone, and I'll be back posting the end of Feb.
Carol
2007-02-04 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go gang! I am so proud of all of us. You know thousands of people wish they could do what we are doing . . . says my yoga instructor, but I don't know any personally. We are all doing things we have never done before and maybe couldn't do yesterday. Yeah us!

Rachel, I don't know your family situation, but I work out early a.m. before my husband or daughter get up. Fortunately he leaves for work at 8:30 and I can easily be home before then. However, if the weather is going to be nice that day, I work in the early a.m. and enjoy the outdoors during my daughter's 2.5 hours stint in kindergarten. Evenings are hard for me motivationally and family-wise.

Eating - I know I said before that I needed to eat before/after a workout . . . well I discovered that was all a system upheaval from my new vitamins. For a.m. workouts I injest 1/2 granola bar and 16 oz. of water on the way to the gym, Gatorade during, finish granola + piece of fruit after. My workouts are 30-90 min. and don't require mid-term refueling yet.

I can't believe it is the end of the first month already. I am really proud that I have stuck very closely to the BT 2xs Balanced Olympic training plan. I have not bagged any workouts, only shifted my 'days off' when needed. I think I am the only person in our neighborhood group who is following the plan. I'm sure they will all do fine, but I am not sure I would do fine of my own accord.

I did not weigh today. I still need work in this area but had a great day today: yogurt/banana bkfst, fatting restaurant salad w/muffin for lunch, raw veggie platter for Super Bowl snacks/dinner. Go Colts!

I spend 3-4 days a week bicycle shopping either at a LBS or ebay. I mostly receive "out bid" notices. I would love to find the right bike for me soon.

I'm working on my "2007 Race Calendar." Since my Olympic distance event I was training for was canceled I have a whole new, ease-in strategy:Feb=Fridged 5 Miler, Mar=short duathlon, Jun=sprint tri, and I'm looking for a later Olympic tri. I keep checking that Danskin site too.

Have a great week!

Sarah
2007-02-05 11:17 PM

New user
Renton, WA
Sarah, before you buy a bicycle go to the Terry website. I think it is www.terry.com, but if that doesn't work google Terry Bicycles. There is an excellent article on there about fitting a bicycle for women. I have ridden many miles on a bike that is the right height, but I've found out that the front horizontal bar is too long and that is why my back, wrists and palms are always sore. There is just too much forward lean on most bikes for women, evey tall ones , I am 5'8".

Specialized makes a womens model called the "Dolce" that is fairly moderate in price. The Terry bikes are higher and it is hard to find a dealer.

Carol
2007-02-06 12:31 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Excellent advice Carol!

Terry is AWESOME for biking gear. I swear by their cycling shorts and have worn them since I was a size 4X

Sounds like everyone is humming along with their training.

Nate and Kate - How you both doing? Still hanging in there?

Let's talk about what the first event of the season is for everyone?

My first race will be a 5 mile run on March 11 after that I have a 1/2 marathon mid-April.

Great swim for me in my newly discovered salinated pool. WOO HOO! It's so much nicer than the chlorinated one. I'm loving it!

2007-02-06 7:14 AM
in reply to: #680571

User image

Leesburg,
I'm here. Frustrated but here. Hard to work out at 20 below zero. Taking a break, but hanging in.

Regarding bikes: my daughter just bought a Trek 1600 WSD (womens specific design) for about $1,000 and loves it. Smaller top tube, smaller geometry altogether. Fits her well. Plus it's a nice light lavender color. She's put it on my trainer and is going to town!

My first triathlon was supposed to be St. Anthony's in April, but I have to be in court for some trials (I'm a litigator) so I got it deferred to next year. Now my first, unfortunately, is a half-Ironman for which I am thoroughly unprepared in May.

My best intentions seem to be slipping away. Aargh!

Kate
2007-02-06 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Kate - Can you find another early spring sprint or Oly? I bet that would give you confidence I did a 1/2 IM last summer on smart but low volume training. I'd be happy to share the plans with you if you think it'd help.

Hang in there!
2007-02-06 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
thank you for the bike advice. I've spent a lot of time with Terry's web site. My husband just told me he wants to get me a bike for Valentine's Day. Yeah!

Kate - there's cold and there's miserably cold. Sounds very miserable there. But it can't last too much longer. Tonight I watched the sunset at 6:20 p.m. and the time changes March 11 this year. Bring on the longer days and sunshine.

Today I became a member of USAT and registered for a March 18th duathlon.

Sarah
2007-02-09 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Now suddenly my first race has changed to tomorrow. The Frigid Five Miler!

I happen to have been at the local community center, where this race starts, on race day for the past two years. Both times it was more than frigid and I marveled at the insanity of "those people." Ha!

I have yet to reach five miles in any of my workouts, so this will be a record-breaking event of some sort.

So Bonnie & Kate, how long do you think it will take for you to complete 70.3? Just curious.

Sarah
2007-02-10 12:50 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Go Sarah!!!! WOO HOO!!!! Can't wait to hear how your first 5 miler goes. I'm sure you will have a blast and it will be a new challenge you've tackled head on.

I've done 2 of the 70.3 distance (1/2 Ironman) races. One in Oct 2004 and one last July. My first race took me 8:16 and I was laid up for 2 days after due to dehydration and just generally being worked by the day. My second race was in upstate New York in July and the temps were over 100. I finished in 7:43 and felt completely fine afterward, racing through airports on business the next day. Totally weird.

My only goal for Ironman is to finish in the time limit and hopefully not be so wrecked that I can't enjoy the days following the event.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I was down .2 this week and even though I'd hoped to lose closer to a whole pound at least I'm heading in the downward direction

2007-02-11 10:40 AM
in reply to: #681141

User image

Leesburg,
Bonnie, I would LOVE to see your "smart training" plans. I need all the help I can get. I may see the Doc when I go back to sunny Florida next week and see if she won't prescribe some more serious pain meds than the Motrin 800 mg she's got me on. I had two spinal injections mid-summer 2006 and they lasted a very long time, but the bloom is now officially off the rose with the degenerated joints and osteoarthritis. Cold weather and sitting on my butt all day at the office certainly doesn't help.

Did 1000 meters in the pool yesterday and it felt good. Will do another 1000 this evening. Got a purebred but very mistreated Black Lab pup a couple of weeks ago, one year old adolescent with a Cujo side. They were going to put him to sleep and in I walk with SUCKAH! plastered on my forehead. I'm pretty good with dogs, need a guardian since my hubby's still in Florida, and definitely need a running buddy once the weather breaks. So I'm the proud owner of a yellow lab in Florida and black lab in Cleveland.

Bonnie ... question. I finally got a Real Tri Bike (Trek HiLo 2000) which fits OK but the previous owner (IM Hawaii finisher, I've got the medallion on the bike) cut the steering tube too low for my gut. (sigh.) Have you ever heard of a steering tube extender being put on the tube and the aerobars replaced on that? Would beat the heck out of buying a whole new fork.

Sounds like everyone's OK?

Take care,
Kate
2007-02-11 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
My first 5 was awesome. Lots of fun and a great learning experience. I was warned about taking off too fast and burning out at the beginning and really concentrated on not doing that. I am proudest of my pace. It was very consistent throughout.

I learned that my physical fitness is up for five miles way more than my cardiovascular fitness. My legs/body never got tired and no soreness. I only walked occasionally for the luxury of breathing. After confiding this in my running buddies (who waited 10-23 minutes for me to cross the finish line) I got some breathing tips that may help in addition to building cardio fitness.

I also learned/know this would be so much easier if I were to lose 20 pounds. I am recommited (for the 163 time) to weight loss.

I ran the first mile with Grandpa who then left me behind. I finished with hunchback lady and I-can't-bend-my-knees lady. Ha. I wonder what name they gave me. Later I found out Grandpa is 73 years old and has qualified for the Boston Marathon for the past two years. What an honor it was to eat his dust!

I finished in one hour, which is on the good side of my expectations.

Sarah
2007-02-12 1:00 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Way to go Sarah!!!! Sounds like it was an awesome learning experience and you had fun

Kate - I sent you a PM looking for your email so I can send you over the training plans. On your question about the stem. Yes, I think you can definitely get an adjustable one. It sounds like you need to take your bike to a qualified bike fitter and have a fit done. They can do all the measurements and get you new stem, aero configuration or seat adjustments if necessary. Do this immediately if you can because you will be so much more comfortable. It's one of the most important investments you can make on your IM journey.

Great swim for me yesterday and today I did 90 minutes on the trainer while watching 50 First Dates. I love that movie! It totally helped the time pass quickly. More swimming and a short run tomorrow for me.

Carol, Rachel and Nate - How you doing? Anything new to report?
2007-02-17 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Hey Everyone!

Are you all still stuck in the wintry weather? We've had a slow week on the thread so I thought I better check in.

How was the training week? Are you all seeing progress? Is everyone resting enough and eating to fuel their workouts?

As always feel free to PM me or post to the thread your questions or comments.

I had a pretty solid training week and I got the nice surprise of being down 1.4 at WI yesterday. WOO HOO!

I hope you are all doing well!
2007-02-22 11:52 AM

User image

Hey y'all! I am so thrilled to have "elbowed" my way into this group. My name is Julie, I'm a 45 yo mom of 4 (20,17,11,7), married for 22 yr to a tri-addict, live in Oregon (7 yrs now) and want to attempt my first sprint this summer. I grew up swimming, have been biking for 3 yrs and am now "trying" to run. I've been keeping up with my log, which I began in Dec. I spin 2x week, walk/run 2-4x week, weight train 4x week and will be adding a 2x week swim. My weightloss goals is meager; I just want to get rid of the 10 lb gain I've experienced in the last 18 mos which I attribute to hormonal/perimenopause...you know, the spare-tire syndrome. I think the scale hasn't budged cause of the increase in weight training, and the tire may have deflated somewhat, but the "muffin top" belongs to just that, the muffin!!

Thanks, Bonnie, for taking me in. I can't wait to be inspired!!

Oh, a question, I have a choice between 2 sprints: one with a pool swim and one in open water. What would you recommend for my first?

2007-02-24 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey gang, my computer has been on a well-deserved vacation to the computer spa for a refreshing face lift. Imagine my surprise seeing so little posting activity from our group!

I am sure it is because all of your activity has been physical :-) but I want to hear about it.

Even if your question or situation or struggle is not the same as mine, it inspires me to know that we are all in this together.
2007-02-24 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Bonnie - way to go on your weight loss. You are consistently moving in the right direction! Sounds like your training is going well too.
2007-02-24 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello JMDickey - welcome to the group. It sounds like you will only be making some small modifications to your current workout routine to get ready for your tri. Are you using a BT training plan?
2007-02-24 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Bra burn - yes, I have begun to experience bra burn from sweating, running and friction. The culprit was my favorite bra. I have since changed bras, applied creams and seen improvement. I'm past the excruciating pain.

Now I just want to prevent any other areas from future chaffing. I've seen Chamois BUTTer and other products. I've read recommendations for diaper rash ointment and vaseline.

Should I just lube up all potential friction points? Am I letting the extreme pain still in my memory cause me to overreact?
2007-02-24 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Sorry Nate, but I have another bra question.

To provide complete coverage along with support I usually wear a padded bra. There is not a lot of wicking power in those, but no demonstrations either. The bra burn has dictated a thinner style that my post-breastfeeding form does not complement. Any solutions?

I'm also wondering about the same problem in a tri-suit. How is that built in bra? Will I want to wear another bra with it? Will an extra bra be wet and soggy from the swim?

2007-02-24 8:34 AM
in reply to: #699394

User image

Leesburg,
Hi Jay Emm and welcome to the group.

About first swims, I'd never race in a pool if I could avoid it. I can't do flip turns and don't really want to learn. There's nothing about a flip turn that's going to help me in an open water swim. So I'd be at a definite disadvantage in a pool race. Plus, for me, half the fun of doing tris is to be outside in the fresh air, goofing on the oxygen, the sky, the trees, the sun ... you get it.

That being said, any opportunity to do tris is not a bad thing.

Which first tri are you looking at? Mine was a super sprint in Cleveland about seven years or so ago. It was really fun. In Lake Erie. Amazing that we didn't all come out of the water glowing with whatever toxins are in it!

Take care & welcome again.
Kate

PS to NATE -- how are you????
2007-02-24 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
How does pool time translate into open water swim time? If I swam 1500 meters in 32 minutes how far should I expect to swim in open water in the same amount of time?
2007-02-24 6:57 PM

User image

New user
I'm still here...lurking. I've been concentrating on my weight loss right now. I'm getting close to being able to start my run training. I'm hoping by the time the snow is gone for good I'll be ready (we got 8 inches today though and another 7-12 expected tomorrow...bleh).

Last week was a challenging week for me workout-wise as I had 3 rough workouts out of 4. So I took the last 3 days off. I did workout today and it went quite well. I was able to do a nice 15 minute warmup and then 45 high intensity minutes, as well as 200 situps, so I think I'm back into it again.

Also, regarding bra burn....just take them off

2007-02-25 11:29 AM

User image

Hey Kate,
The indoor swim tri is in May in Hillsboro, OR and the outdoor is in June in Troutdale, OR. My husband did the outdoor one 2 yrs ago, so I kinda know what to expect. I'll have to rent a wetsuit because the water temp. is in the 60's. I am using the couch to 5k plan to get my running up to par and plan to implement a more scheduled overall plan in March.

JULIE
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11