BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-01-18 12:58 PM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
Wow! I'm gone 3 days and look at what you all have accomplished.

Ok, I'll start sending off some answers. Sorry for the disappearance, and thanks for the understanding. Sometimes work has a way of interfering with my life.

Seriously impressed with all you've done.

By the way, add Mr. Australia's mileage, and it looks like we have 147 for the bike ride. Not bad at all!

2007-01-18 1:32 PM
in reply to: #653831

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jamesmakinson - 2007-01-13 10:19 PM

AI was planning on buying a bike.

AWhat I considered a swim shirt is a rashguard. I just really hate the idea of cold water.

QIs this venue near your house?

ANot quite close enough for me to make it a daily trip. I might be able to sneak up there once or twice before the race.

Jimbo the Great

Well, here's my $.02, for what it's worth.

Spend what you can afford on a bike. It's too easy to go off budget in the store. And ride a lot of them before you buy, just "feeling" them. You'll know the one you want, and it probably won't be in the color you prefer, but life is tough sometimes. You don't want to perch your delicates on something that's not comfy. If none of them feel great, go to another store. No one said you had to buy the bike today.

And don't feel like you have to buy a tri bike. (I have one, but I don't have a wife who rides. If she did, I'd probably have a road bike and we'd go on romantic rides on country roads at sunrise.) You can even use a mountain bike if you prefer, and a lot of shorter distance races are creating MB categories. Ironman -- those snobs -- have now started to disallow MBs, which I think is bull.

Rashguard -- no idea. Sorry. I've probably seen them and never noticed. Yeah, I can be obtuse. Why don't you post your question in the forum and see if anyone answers?

Race venue -- believe me, you'll be glad you were on the course before your race, even if it is just 1 or 2 times. Knowing what's on the other side of that hill is a wonderful feeling, and it's good race strategy. I think it's worth the trip some Saturday when it warms up a bit.

I'm looking forward to your race, and hearing your training experiences!
2007-01-18 1:38 PM
in reply to: #653958

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-14 8:52 AM

I promised the kids another trip to the Y today. Maybe just the swimming today.

Okay, everyone, let's see your miles!

Wow, someone was busy! Nice job on the 20 miles! Did you feel it on Monday?

You just reminded me that I need to get into the pool. I'm scheduled to attend a weekend seminar next month, and do I ask about the rooms? the dining? the topics? No, just if this hotel has a pool I can get into. How geeky is that?

You know, next time you have leftover hot fudge lava cake with ice cream, you can send it my way.
2007-01-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: #654346

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-01-14 8:21 PM

did my race log with photo's
BGT

Nice race log. You've already started thinking about how to speed up the transitions for your next race, haven't you?

You should be proud of your accomplishment. Way to go!

2007-01-18 1:45 PM
in reply to: #654385

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-01-14 8:58 PM

Oh, I feel guilty now.

And you should!

Sounds like you had a great trip. I'm jealous.
2007-01-18 1:54 PM
in reply to: #655909

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
bubbagil - 2007-01-16 1:27 AM

I want to join your group. About to do my first tri in March in Pasadena, CA at the Rose Bowl.
I'll write more later...I'm 41, married 6 years and have 2 1/2 year old. I'm also a PE teacher here in CA. Just wanted some suggestions about getting a bike. I'll be using my mtn. bike for this 1st one.

You're in.

Jim is looking at getting a bike too, and if you've read any of my logs, you'll see that I don't advocate spending money until you're sure that: (a) you want to keep this up, and (b) you know what you want -- and not what the magazines tell you that you should want. (Did that make sense? It sounded so much more erudite here in the office.)

I rode my mountain bike for the first few years, including for a 1/2 IM. Not my smartest idea, but I refused to spend $$$ on a bike until I knew I was serious about this and wanted to do longer races. For shorter distances, a MB is fine. You won't be the only one, and in fact, you'll probably see a 3-speed racked in there amongst the others.

Start riding bikes. My bike shop has rides on the weekends with pretty much everything available for a test spin. How else can you buy unless you spend time in the saddle?

And while it's tempting, I'd skip the huge chain stores for this purchase. Sure, you'll save money. But a good store hires guys who ride, and who can take apart and put the bike together, and talk about things that are just way too technical for my needs. But when I ask a question, and they choose to answer in layman's english, I know I'm getting my money's worth.

So, a PE teacher? And what endurance activity have you done lately? Get out there, move that body, and tell us about yourself.

Edited by prof40 2007-01-18 4:56 PM

2007-01-18 5:19 PM
in reply to: #655970

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-16 7:41 AM

Hey guys! I found another resource for us! I have a lunch date this Thursday with this seriously hunky guy who does triathlons, marathons and ironmans. Everyone wish me luck!

Jeng--we meet in Madison at a place called the Great Dane around 3 on Thursday, so if you have time, it would be cool to meet you in person. You might have classes then, so no pressure!

Prof--How long did it take you to work up to 50 miles on the bike? I'm more into endurance than speed, but don't want to do too much too soon and hurt my body. I don't tend to feel the ache until a day or two later when I can hardly walk and reach for the Ibuprofin (we chiro's really frown on taking much pain medicine--we try to teach people not to abuse themselves enough to need it). I've pretty much decided on doing a half marathon June 16--Grandma's in Duluth, which is about an hour away from my Mom's. My outdoor tri is June 10--is that pushing things too much, or does that make sense? What do you think about going for a full marathon in the fall--maybe the Chicago marathon? I think maybe Paavo is too hilly for a first attempt--maybe next year! Give me another assignment, while I'm still super motivated, here, please

Well, tell us about the date! I know, I shouldn't be so interested in your personal life, but I do declare I saw you swoon when you called him "seriously hunky." (Or aren't I allowed to tease our resident cheerleader?)

Isn't the Great Dane the bar from "Three's Company" that Jack, Chrissie and Janet used to drink at? Oh, wait, that was the Regal Beagle. Never mind. Have a Corona on me.

Ok, to the questions at hand. A tri 6 days before Grandma's? Are you nuts?

Can you do it? Sure. Will it hurt? It depends on how hard you race. Is that pushing it? Yep. Is it worth it? That's the question. I'd probably do it, but I like to push myself. What is more imporant to you: completing both as part of Operation Endurance June, or sprinting hard on both and risking injury. If you listen to your body, train sufficiently, and take it really easy in the week between, I think you can do it. (I'm assuming you can run a 10k at this point.)

Wow, what a June you will have.

Oh, and 2 more things: (1) I'd love to do Chicago, and (2) months to work up to 50 on the bike.

Challenge is coming soon. Check in on Saturday.
2007-01-18 5:32 PM
in reply to: #656526

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jeng615 - 2007-01-16 2:03 PM

hello everyone!
sorry i haven't had much to say lately. i'm still on my winter break and haven't been around much to have a chance to write. i have to say, i'm quite disappointed in myself. i've been trying to run a lot to build my endurance. unfortunately, i must have done something to my leg. i had the same problem this summer. i'm not going to lie, i'm pretty pissed. it doesn't hurt so much when i'm running as it does afterwards. it does affect the way i'm running and i probably look like an idiot. so besides sounding like a hypochondriac, i'm very frustrated. so the next few days, i'm not running. ughhh.

it is nice to see everyone doing so much! (prof- 50 miles... holy crap!)

hope everyone has a wonderful day!

phoenix- do you go every thurs? those might be tough days to make it there, but i'll see what i can do.

You lucky duck, getting another week off! We went back on the 8th.

Stay off the leg until it feels better -- do not, do not, do not get hurt before the season even starts. And if it's a nagging pain, take jose (the triathlete formally known as jmtrevejo)'s advice and see a doctor.

I knew you'd be trouble! All that late night carb loading has you feeling invincible! (But I know the feeling. Sometimes your body and your brain don't communicate, and you wake up the next day and it hurts to get out of bed.)

Hang in there, kid.
2007-01-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: #657179

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-01-16 10:37 PM

okay I just did it, signed up for 4/29 indoor and the 6/30 outdoor.
Hey I got new shoes last week but ran in them for thr first time today, what a differance it makes can not wait to gt outdoors with them! No time soon (ooh wait I am doing the frigid 5 on SUNDAY) The temp here in MN is finally winterlike, -5 air, which feels like -20 on skin. The best part about winter is that it ends!
BGT

I love new shoes! I usually get a new pair every 500 miles. Nope, don't know why exactly, but I read that somewhere and I do it. Was probably some shoe manufacturer propoganda report.

A 5k on Sunday? You really are the running princess, aren't you?
2007-01-18 5:43 PM
in reply to: #657233

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Malphh - 2007-01-16 11:56 PM

i did 20kms not sure what that is in your crazy imperial milage! sorry no response been flat out like a lizard drinking

12 miles.

And yep, I live in the country that said to the world: "Metric system? We don't need no stinking metric system!"

Anyone else remember learning it in grade school?
2007-01-18 5:51 PM
in reply to: #658634

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-01-17 8:23 PM

Ok, I have finally started to log my workouts so I appreciate JMtrevo for pushing us to do it- its amazing how its only been 2 days and I already have thought " I better do some sort of workout today so if anyone looks at my log they wont think Im slacking". I put my bike trainer together and plan to try it out tomorrow. I had my first run outside today after our "big" snow storm in Seattle- i was going crazy not running outside- and i have to give all of you in wintery climates credit for dealing with it a lot longer than I have to. I dont know how you do it!

The logs can get addicting. Sometimes I think of workouts in quantities of time, wondering how close I am to hitting that next level.

I'm curious what you think of your trainer. It's not as much fun as screaming down a hill, but it is nice to just get some mileage in while you're watching tv.

2007-01-18 5:57 PM
in reply to: #658699

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: name change
Jose1228 - 2007-01-17 9:43 PM

Hi All I changed my userID to jose1228 because I thought it would be easier. Plus I added my inspiration from nature as my pic......a wombat!

It does look like more people need to get wet...... so lets get in the pool. I know it sucks at first but let me tell you once you start getting the hang of it you will love it...use the fins at first to help then you can wean off of them as you get more streamlined. The articles in BT have some great swim tips as well. I recommend the catch-up drill, swim kicks on your side drill and the closed fist drill these all help your form but they are hard at first.

You're shaming me to get into the pool, aren't you, Mr. TTFKAJ (the triathlete formally known as jmtrevejo)?

Good referral to the swim articles. Drills will definitely help you refine your stroke.
2007-01-18 7:02 PM

I have not been in the pool or even swimming in about ten years, and I never did it competitively. I figure that before I can develop some really bad habits maybe I should take a lesson or two. It can't hurt. And I figure I can find a inexpensive used mountain bike at a pawn shop. If I really don't know what I need then I may as well get one I can use. From what I've read mountain bikes seem to be really good all around. Plus I can use it riding around the service road at the lake near my house. The dirt is so packed it's almost paved but I'd still be scared to take some really skinny tires out there. Hell, maybe I'll just get a big old beach cruiser with white wall tires. What kind of statement does that make?

Jimbo the Great
2007-01-18 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Hi guys! Well, I think the date went great, but I'll know more when he officially asks me out for the second one, rather than the "what are you doing next weekend? Well, we can talk about that later." statement that I got. He kisses good, though He actually thinks I can do an IM by 2009! Maybe if he stays in my life and pushes me A LOT! We'll see.

Okay, so maybe I'll try for the half marathon later in the summer, anything close to Wisconsin late June? I'm shooting for a full marathon late summer to fall, though. And yes, I can do a 10K now, but I'm slow. I actually have exercise induced asthma, which was never diagnosed or treated when I was a kid. It was embarrassing as hell to hyperventilate/have an attack each and every time we ran outside. I thought I was just lazy or an alien or something. So, running is important for me--I want to go to my 25th class reunion in 2009 an ATHLETE! I can exercise all I want indoors, no problem, as far as lungs go. But , I do have an inhaler and will use it outdoors. Lots of runners have asthma, I discovered.

Must get my body moving! Resident cheerleader, huh? Wow, that's the closest I've ever come to being one! I was nerd girl in high school. Not anymore!
2007-01-19 4:27 AM
in reply to: #660103

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jamesmakinson - 2007-01-18 8:02 PM

I have not been in the pool or even swimming in about ten years, and I never did it competitively. I figure that before I can develop some really bad habits maybe I should take a lesson or two. It can't hurt. And I figure I can find a inexpensive used mountain bike at a pawn shop. If I really don't know what I need then I may as well get one I can use. From what I've read mountain bikes seem to be really good all around. Plus I can use it riding around the service road at the lake near my house. The dirt is so packed it's almost paved but I'd still be scared to take some really skinny tires out there. Hell, maybe I'll just get a big old beach cruiser with white wall tires. What kind of statement does that make?

Jimbo the Great

Mountain bikes are great, and convenient, and with the hybrid tires (not the huge thick knobby ones) are a comfortable ride on pavement. Even new, you'd only spend a few hundred dollars, so I'm guessing you should be able to find a used one at a good price.

The white walls would look good if you wore a seersucker suit and had a little bell to ring as you passed.

Here's the key to swimming: you just have to get in the water and do it. One length at a time. The more you swim, the better you get. You'll actually feel your stroke improve as you spend more time in the pool. But you're right about the coach: if you're out of practice, or just not sure about the whole breathing/hand/kick thing, a lesson or 2 would benefit you.

Do they offer adult lessons at your Y? They do at mine.
2007-01-19 4:37 AM
in reply to: #660174

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-18 9:48 PM

Hi guys! Well, I think the date went great, but I'll know more when he officially asks me out for the second one, rather than the "what are you doing next weekend? Well, we can talk about that later." statement that I got. He kisses good, though He actually thinks I can do an IM by 2009! Maybe if he stays in my life and pushes me A LOT! We'll see.

Okay, so maybe I'll try for the half marathon later in the summer, anything close to Wisconsin late June? I'm shooting for a full marathon late summer to fall, though. And yes, I can do a 10K now, but I'm slow. I actually have exercise induced asthma, which was never diagnosed or treated when I was a kid. It was embarrassing as hell to hyperventilate/have an attack each and every time we ran outside. I thought I was just lazy or an alien or something. So, running is important for me--I want to go to my 25th class reunion in 2009 an ATHLETE! I can exercise all I want indoors, no problem, as far as lungs go. But , I do have an inhaler and will use it outdoors. Lots of runners have asthma, I discovered.

Must get my body moving! Resident cheerleader, huh? Wow, that's the closest I've ever come to being one! I was nerd girl in high school. Not anymore!

25th Reunion and you want to be a macho woman -- sounds seriously cool to me.

I can't imagine what dating must be like. Congrats on taking up that adventure, too.

Now about Grandma's -- I'm not saying you can't do it, just train diligently. But if you want to really push your tri, that effort might detrimentally affect your Grandma's time. Just something to consider. You can definitely do both types of races this summer.

Nerd girl? Really? I think we'd all be interested in seeing some yearbook photos then. Are we talking big permed hair? Wide belts? Huge shoulder pads?

2007-01-19 5:00 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
CHALLENGE FOR WEEK OF JANUARY 21:

Do 7 components of any of our disciplines: swim, bike, run.

The first person to get all 7 done, with no more than 3 on any one day, wins. And gets to set the challenge for next week.

I'm not interested in how long you swam, or how fast you rode, or how far you ran. I just want you to exercise at least 7 times this week. I'd love it if you'd try a "brick", when you do 2 components back to back, so your body can feel what it's like. Don't worry about rushing headstrong from sport to sport. A few minutes transition time is just fine.

And no, you don't have to try to divide the sports evenly. You can run all 7 if you want. Yes, your treadmills, trainers, etc count. It's winter where I am, so I'm stuck inside, too.

I want you to check in daily and tell us what sports you did, how you're feeling, and how many sessions you have left to do. A little competition is a very good motivator. And keep up with your logs. I look at them -- really, I do -- and I bet the rest of the team does, too.

Ok team -- get busy!
2007-01-19 9:48 AM

User image

Minneapolis
I love healthy competetion, IT IS ON!
When does the week start and end? Sunday to Saturday seems to be the pattern.

Also the 5K princess, I was not joking one month, jan is almost gone.
This one is special, it is the first 5k I ever did one year ago, I walked the whoel thing adn did it in 49 mintues; it will nice to do it agian and see what a difference traning has made. My goal is to clear it in under 43:00. I think I can do it.
Send me good mojo on Sunday, it is suppose to snow and be about 25F ( that -7c for our friend down under), if I had bllas, they'd freeze off.

I swam today and taught but I think I will run later today so I can clear the 2.15 miles I have left to reach my 10 mile goal for the week.
Also got tri results on line at www.ywcampls.org/tri real name is Quiana Perkins!
2007-01-19 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Hi

Is there room for a (not so little one) at the back?

I feel like I will fit in here as I am rapidly approaching 40 but that is about the only thing I am doing rapidly these days!

I'm a lawyer in the north of England, long term girlfriend who, after a brief but vehement reluctance to endorse my latest fad, has come good and twin five and three quarter year old daughters.

I am a corpulent 210lbs in my birthday suit and 6' in my socks with a physique that resembles a man made out of pipe cleaners but with the stomach of a hardened hedonist. Altogether too many expense account dinners!

I did a local triathlon last year (500m/15km/5km) in 1 hr 30 min and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it (especially because I beat the chap who put me up for it in the first place) and, suffused with the euphoria of acheivement I promptly entered for the Monaco 70.3 due to take place on Sept 2, 07.

Gulp!

As that seemed like over a year away (mainly becasue it was) I descended into a middle aged orgy of drinking, smoking and eating that only stopped on Monday morning when I weighed myself and despite having shaved I was more than 14lbs heavier than I had been when I raced.

I hope to do a couple of smaller races as and when the weather gets better (late April, early May) and a bigger race in August before the 70.3.

My training always sees very good intentions derailed by poor execution and lack of motivation allied to the fact that I travel a lot with work and entertain clients prolifically (I am not even sure that's a word!).

If you have space, it would be great to join your group. If not, I will skulk off into the shadows without complaint.
2007-01-19 3:01 PM

User image

Well Im not in charge but I vote to let you join because that first post alone was hilarious. As long as you keep that up, I think you will fit in great! I have to say you have a daunting task ahead of you but if you are committed, I think you can do it. Of course, thats easy for me to say! What a great place to do a race - Monaco- I just visited it for the first time last year and its gorgeous...I think its worth a try for sure. The key will be to making yourself do your workouts NO MATTER what- so whether your on the road or eating out late, you will have to get up the next morning and do it. Im sure everyone else will have lots of advice too.
2007-01-19 4:33 PM

So, sounds like everyone is busy! Good work!

I have to say I'm having a hard time not running, but the elliptical helps a lot. The similar movement is like running, no pain- I recommend it! So today I got in a good workout of biking and running. Nothing like working up a sweat when you're pissed off. Makes everything better!

I will be working out again tomorrow, but I'm not going to lie- it's the last weekend before school starts... so I'll be living it up the next few days. Two semesters left and they are going to be busy! So, I guess I better take advantage while I can.

Keep up the good work everyone!

2007-01-19 4:47 PM
in reply to: #661188

User image

Subject: URI
Finally got hit by the upper respiratory infection bug going around. Going to lay low and then resume tomorrow. But do not be afraid I will be ready for the challenge next week and I am going to come out guns blazin'....watch out for the latin wombat!
2007-01-19 4:56 PM
in reply to: #660727

User image

Mark Stanley - 2007-01-19 12:18 PM

Hi

I feel like I will fit in here as I am rapidly approaching 40 but that is about the only thing I am doing rapidly these days!

I'm a lawyer in the north of England, long term girlfriend who, after a brief but vehement reluctance to endorse my latest fad, has come good and twin five and three quarter year old daughters.

I am a corpulent 210lbs in my birthday suit and 6' in my socks with a physique that resembles a man made out of pipe cleaners but with the stomach of a hardened hedonist. Altogether too many expense account dinners!

I did a local triathlon last year (500m/15km/5km) in 1 hr 30 min and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it (especially because I beat the chap who put me up for it in the first place) and, suffused with the euphoria of acheivement I promptly entered for the Monaco 70.3 due to take place on Sept 2, 07.

Gulp!

As that seemed like over a year away (mainly becasue it was) I descended into a middle aged orgy of drinking, smoking and eating that only stopped on Monday morning when I weighed myself and despite having shaved I was more than 14lbs heavier than I had been when I raced.

I hope to do a couple of smaller races as and when the weather gets better (late April, early May) and a bigger race in August before the 70.3.

My training always sees very good intentions derailed by poor execution and lack of motivation allied to the fact that I travel a lot with work and entertain clients prolifically (I am not even sure that's a word!).

If you have space, it would be great to join your group. If not, I will skulk off into the shadows without complaint.

Hop on board ya wig totin' barrister limey...............the more the merrier but please do not correct our prose.

No seriously this is a great way to lose weight because it is about a healthy lifestyle. Just start logging your workouts and we will come after you if you should slip into a weekend binge of crumpets and ale.....oh I love making broad sweeping generalizations.

It sounds like you did relatively well on your first triathlon so you probably have a stubborn spirit and a good heart.....perfect foundation for this sport. Monaco sounds like a fun place to go for a tri....I for one am jealous. Good to have you aboard Mark.
2007-01-19 6:30 PM

Today was a bad tri day.

I went back in the pool for the first time in many years. I swam back and forth about six times. The lifeguard (she looked about 16 and all of 100 lbs) was perched on the edge of her chair the whole time. The whole time I was thrashing about I could just see her telling her friends,"I didn't think someone that tall could drown in only three feet of water." I couldn't help but wonder how she was going to pull my slippery, lifeless body up onto the tile. Oh well. That's her problem.

My wife is having a hard time understanding why I would ever want to do a tri. Up until now I avoided water in quantities more than about 32 ounces. She went with me to buy swim goggles (I have very dry eyes. That may be the reason I avoid pools.) and almost had a meltdown in the store. She doesn't understand my passion for getting in shape and completing a triathlon. I don't understand her passion for reality TV and scrapbooking. Life sucks like that.

Three 12 hour shifts coming up. This job is really starting to get in the way of my training.

Can you use arm floats in a tri?

Jimbo the Great
2007-01-19 6:37 PM
in reply to: #660727

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Mark Stanley - 2007-01-19 12:18 PM

Hi

Gulp!

Okay, Rumpole, you're in! Better replace that clotted cream with cottage cheese.

Edited by prof40 2007-01-19 6:50 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72