Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2007-02-13 8:12 AM
in reply to: #688841

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: RE: Blisters
You might want to get a better pair of shoes, or socks or something. I've never really gotten blisters from running. If you go to a good running shop, they can tell you whether you're under pronating(sp?) or over pronating, and recommend the right shoes for how you run.

2007-02-13 8:39 AM
in reply to: #688977

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
erjellum - 2007-02-13 8:12 AM

You might want to get a better pair of shoes, or socks or something. I've never really gotten blisters from running. If you go to a good running shop, they can tell you whether you're under pronating(sp?) or over pronating, and recommend the right shoes for how you run.

I went to a New Balance store and got fitted for these. Maybe I could have done better in the fitting, but I'm not sure. I'd rather not get another pair after just dropping over a hundred on this one.
2007-02-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: #689007

User image

poke4christ - 2007-02-13 8:39 AM
erjellum - 2007-02-13 8:12 AM You might want to get a better pair of shoes, or socks or something. I've never really gotten blisters from running. If you go to a good running shop, they can tell you whether you're under pronating(sp?) or over pronating, and recommend the right shoes for how you run.
I went to a New Balance store and got fitted for these. Maybe I could have done better in the fitting, but I'm not sure. I'd rather not get another pair after just dropping over a hundred on this one.

Yeah, I wouldn't go out an splurge on a new pair of shoes.  I would experiment with different socks and see if you can find some that keep that from happening.

Chances are, it will stop once they are broken in.  That's why you never wear new shoes to a race.

2007-02-13 3:08 PM
in reply to: #668669

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's Group - FULL
How is everyone doing?
2007-02-13 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
For the blisters you could try body glide or vaseline.

If the blister is on your toes, you could try toe socks by Injinji. They look like gloves for your feet.
2007-02-13 3:29 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: link to blog
So I've been trying to find out if I can post a link to my blog on another page so that others could see it. I haven't been able to find an answer to this question. Does anybody else know how I might do this? I wanted to put the link in my facebook profile.

Zach

2007-02-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: #689566

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
triOK - 2007-02-13 4:08 PM

How is everyone doing?

Doing great - looking out the window and seeing all the snow and slush and slow moving highway I'll be driving home on!!

Had a good morning training on the bike today. I was supposed to have an early morning meeting tomorrow, so I went today instead of tomorrow. Legs are a little more tired since it was back to back days, but I liked the routine of constant climbing, then easing back off.

The meeting tomorrow was canceled, so I decided I'm going to go for a swim! Since I'm following the beginner's exercise program, that doesn't have swimming for another 5 weeks, but I figure it won't do me any harm, and I'm looking forward to it!

What I'm not looking forward to is that the pool is only 70 feet. Can't wait for Memorial Day when the outdoor pools open! There's a 50m pool right by my house. Does anyone else have to deal with a short pool? Is aggravating, or do you not mind?
2007-02-13 3:36 PM

User image

Sorry, for the delay in replying. I'm putting down 4 hours for now. Just because I don't know how to factor in my class workouts. But I think I can run at least 4 hours in a week.

Plus I figured out which triathlon I want to do.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 ::: Brooklyn, New York: Coney Island Triathlon

I live right there so I have to do that one!

And

Sunday July 29, 2007 ::: Staten Island, New York: Lumpy Pancake Olympic Distance Triathlon

It seems like that's a long time away though. I guess I should register early as extra incentive to really prepare.
2007-02-13 3:37 PM
in reply to: #689596

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: link to blog
poke4christ - 2007-02-13 4:29 PM

So I've been trying to find out if I can post a link to my blog on another page so that others could see it. I haven't been able to find an answer to this question. Does anybody else know how I might do this? I wanted to put the link in my facebook profile.

Zach
When you click on "Control Panel", where you edit your personal info, there's a space for website address. I don't know where all that would show up, other than clicking on your profile.

You can also add a signature to your posts and insert the link there. I see that for a number of users.
2007-02-13 3:38 PM

User image

*Most* pools are 25 yds... until race day comes.  Most of the time I have had to race in a 50 yd pool.  You get half as many breathers.

I hate short pools.

2007-02-13 3:39 PM
in reply to: #689603

User image

gc150 - 2007-02-13 3:36 PM Sorry, for the delay in replying. I'm putting down 4 hours for now. Just because I don't know how to factor in my class workouts. But I think I can run at least 4 hours in a week. Plus I figured out which triathlon I want to do. Saturday, July 14, 2007 ::: Brooklyn, New York: Coney Island Triathlon I live right there so I have to do that one! And Sunday July 29, 2007 ::: Staten Island, New York: Lumpy Pancake Olympic Distance Triathlon It seems like that's a long time away though. I guess I should register early as extra incentive to really prepare.

Great job!  Are you exicted?

2007-02-13 3:50 PM
in reply to: #689608

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: link to blog
willie05 - 2007-02-13 3:37 PM

poke4christ - 2007-02-13 4:29 PM

Zach
When you click on "Control Panel", where you edit your personal info, there's a space for website address. I don't know where all that would show up, other than clicking on your profile.

You can also add a signature to your posts and insert the link there. I see that for a number of users.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant put a link on facebook (or other site) to my blog (exercise logs) here on Beginnertriathlete.com. As far as I can tell, you have to be a registered member to view someone's exercise logs. However, when you click on a profile from BT Blogger, it takes you right to the logs even if you aren't logged in on the site. Anybody have advice here. I couldn't find a tech support forum to post in.
2007-02-13 4:15 PM

User image

Sorry Zach,

I have no help for you, but you might want to try posting the question in the Tri Talk or COJ forums.  I am sure someone will be able to answer your ?.

2007-02-13 4:18 PM
in reply to: #689566

User image

Expert
triOK - 2007-02-13 3:08 PM

How is everyone doing?

I feel like I am doing pretty good. Aaron(Firstriguy) and I have a co-worker that did Ironman Lake Placid last year that has agreed to shepherd us along with a few swim workouts, so that should be nice. All the indoor work seems to be helping my fitness levels and I am even losing a few pounds, but I feel like I am going to get smoked once we go outside for real...
2007-02-13 7:45 PM

User image

West Des Moines
For this challenge, are we talking minutes from all activities or just Tri sports?? I figured weight training, elliptical and miscellaneous sports in as well
2007-02-13 7:53 PM
in reply to: #689871

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
No Mercy - 2007-02-13 7:45 PM

I figured weight training, elliptical and miscellaneous sports in as well

Ditto

Edited by poke4christ 2007-02-13 7:53 PM

2007-02-13 8:18 PM

User image

Regular
I too can't wait for the weather to change so I can switched to outdoor training. Overall, my training is going better than I thought it would. I am injury free and I have been feeling fairly strong during my training. I am very excited about doing my first Tri. I think about the races and training every day. It feels good to have a goal to shoot for. Very happy and committed.
-aaron
2007-02-13 9:03 PM

User image

Any and all training counts!  Just keep in mind that you will get the most benefit from tri specific training.  That means SWIM, BIKE and RUN your little hearts out!
2007-02-14 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
When swimming, how important is it to breathe on both sides (every 3 strokes), rather than on just one side (every 2 or 4 strokes)?

I've always just breathed on one side found it difficult to get used to the other side. My first couple times I forgot to breathe in! After that I breathed in, but it wrecked the timing of my strokes.

Cheers!

- Bob
2007-02-14 8:25 AM
in reply to: #690090

User image

willie05 - 2007-02-14 8:15 AM When swimming, how important is it to breathe on both sides (every 3 strokes), rather than on just one side (every 2 or 4 strokes)? I've always just breathed on one side found it difficult to get used to the other side. My first couple times I forgot to breathe in! After that I breathed in, but it wrecked the timing of my strokes. Cheers! - Bob

In triathlon, especially, it is VERY beneficial to bilateral breathe.  During an OWS, when there are hundreds of people flailing around in the water and you have to sight the buoys, its much easier and faster if you can just pick your head up a bit during a breath, find where you are going, and get there.  If you can only breathe from one side, and the buoys happen to be out of your sight when you take a breath, you can end up off-course very quickly.

Breathing from both sides makes sighting much easier (and faster).

Its hard to get used to, but it comes in handy.  Not only does it help you sight, but it will also help train you to turn your stroke over faster - making you faster in the process.

Make sense?

2007-02-14 11:24 AM
in reply to: #690106

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
triOK - 2007-02-14 9:25 AM

willie05 - 2007-02-14 8:15 AM When swimming, how important is it to breathe on both sides (every 3 strokes), rather than on just one side (every 2 or 4 strokes)? I've always just breathed on one side found it difficult to get used to the other side. My first couple times I forgot to breathe in! After that I breathed in, but it wrecked the timing of my strokes. Cheers! - Bob

In triathlon, especially, it is VERY beneficial to bilateral breathe.  During an OWS, when there are hundreds of people flailing around in the water and you have to sight the buoys, its much easier and faster if you can just pick your head up a bit during a breath, find where you are going, and get there.  If you can only breathe from one side, and the buoys happen to be out of your sight when you take a breath, you can end up off-course very quickly.

Its hard to get used to, but it comes in handy.  Not only does it help you sight, but it will also help train you to turn your stroke over faster - making you faster in the process.

Make sense?

If I may add one thing.  A lot of people don't know how to train themselves to become bilateral.  Especially if you can't breath every third stroke.  Breath every 2 strokes but breath to the same wall each time.  So when you start, you breath to the left wall.  When you come back, you breath to that same wall. 

2007-02-14 12:33 PM
in reply to: #690438

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Marvarnett - 2007-02-14 12:24 PM

Make sense?

If I may add one thing.  A lot of people don't know how to train themselves to become bilateral.  Especially if you can't breath every third stroke.  Breath every 2 strokes but breath to the same wall each time.  So when you start, you breath to the left wall.  When you come back, you breath to that same wall. 

Thanks very much - I'll definitely try that!
2007-02-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #690438

User image

Marvarnett - 2007-02-14 11:24 AM

[

Great advice!

2007-02-14 10:13 PM

User image

I'm sorry. I don't really understand how it would be bilateral breathing if you breathe to the same wall for everyone 2 strokes. Won't that mean that you're just going to breathe on that side for all your strokes?

And I just found out that the Coney Island Tri is for you Youth only. Is it necessary to get do a Sprint before doing a Olympic? Would it be a bad idea to throw myself into doing an Olympic one when I've never done any triathlons? I'm excited about it but I'm a bit nervous.
2007-02-15 7:57 AM
in reply to: #691229

User image

Veteran
Virginia

gc150 - 2007-02-14 11:13 PM I'm sorry. I don't really understand how it would be bilateral breathing if you breathe to the same wall for everyone 2 strokes. Won't that mean that you're just going to breathe on that side for all your strokes?

If you breathe facing the same wall, you will be breathing on your left side going in one direction and your right side going the opposite direction. That will get you used to breathing on both sides. Then, when you're comfortable with that, you can work on breathing every 3 strokes so that you're breathing on both sides during the same length.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19