BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 42

2007-06-05 2:58 PM
in reply to: #830257

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED
Got it.  For those who do not have your settings on Rich Format, you will not be able to do the fancy editing in your narratives.  Shout out to my tech support guru, Eric

2007-06-05 3:09 PM
in reply to: #830968

User image

firstriguy - 2007-06-05 2:58 PM Got it.  For those who do not have your settings on Rich Format, you will not be able to do the fancy editing in your narratives.  Shout out to my tech support guru, Eric

Holla!

2007-06-05 8:06 PM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Subject: ITBS
Hey,
I have a question for any of you guys to offer input. What took me out of triathlons, and any racing was a dislocated hip (man, that hurt) and serious ITBS. I have no idea of the two are linked. I had been seeing a PT for ~6 months prior to the hip thing about a majorly strained hip flexor...then, kapow, I am on the floor with no control over my leg. The ITBS is a chronic thing and I have started back running, albeit slowly - like the race walkers whip my butt kind of slow...hell, an old woman with some wind at her back could blow by me, anymore. Are there any exercises/stretches that you know have that help alleviate or ultimately, "cure" ITBS? I have recently picked up the Trigger Point Therapy system, and it's helping, but my run this morning indicated that I still have some work to do. Also, what kind of pain makes you stop and what kind of pain do you go on through. With my hip...this is kind of sad...I was running the Austin Freescale and the pain was really intense, but I kept hearing the old coaches in my head saying "run through it". Apparently, I need some new coaches....
Any thoughts?
Thanks....Oh, and I have really enjoyed reading the threads...some of you guys remind me not to take anything too seriously! I need a good laugh now and again, so thank you for that, too!
Vanessa
2007-06-05 8:41 PM
in reply to: #831377

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Subject: RE: ITBS
Ok. Here's the deal. My husband is studying to be an athletic trainer and I am studying to be an OT. And we both have lots of experience in rehabilitation (OT, PT and AT). Your ITBS is not going to get better if you just push through it(in fact that may be the worst thing you can do). You need to rest, rest, rest! You need to also make sure that when you get back into running you do it slowly and with the proper program and proper footwear. The only treatment is something called cross-friction massage and you need to see a PT about that, its not something that you can do yourself. So my suggestion would be to go back to your PT or to your doctor to get a prescription for PT again. Hope this helps.
2007-06-06 6:32 AM
in reply to: #831377

User image

Subject: RE: ITBS

vmax3000 - 2007-06-05 8:06 PM Hey, I have a question for any of you guys to offer input. What took me out of triathlons, and any racing was a dislocated hip (man, that hurt) and serious ITBS. I have no idea of the two are linked. I had been seeing a PT for ~6 months prior to the hip thing about a majorly strained hip flexor...then, kapow, I am on the floor with no control over my leg. The ITBS is a chronic thing and I have started back running, albeit slowly - like the race walkers whip my butt kind of slow...hell, an old woman with some wind at her back could blow by me, anymore. Are there any exercises/stretches that you know have that help alleviate or ultimately, "cure" ITBS? I have recently picked up the Trigger Point Therapy system, and it's helping, but my run this morning indicated that I still have some work to do. Also, what kind of pain makes you stop and what kind of pain do you go on through. With my hip...this is kind of sad...I was running the Austin Freescale and the pain was really intense, but I kept hearing the old coaches in my head saying "run through it". Apparently, I need some new coaches.... Any thoughts? Thanks....Oh, and I have really enjoyed reading the threads...some of you guys remind me not to take anything too seriously! I need a good laugh now and again, so thank you for that, too! Vanessa

Yeah, I can't offer any advice to help you with your ITBS, but here's what I know for sure.  If it HURTS don't do it.  However, I read on this site that "there is a difference between being in pain and being uncomfortable."  If it is genuinely painful, then you are making it worse by exercising on it.  If you are simply uncomfortable, suck it up buttercup, and push through it.

My $.02 only.

2007-06-06 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
What is ITBS

I know nothing about this, so I looked it up.

I find it interesting that one of the causes of ITBS is "running with bad form". It makes me wonder if your hip was hurt from that as well.

If you *do* decide to do anything again after you've healed, it seems you need to find a coach to help you with your form so you are running correctly.

2007-06-06 3:51 PM
in reply to: #831840

User image

Expert
I have been looking at some other forums and have found an interesting point. It seems that many people feel that swimming the bare minimum is acceptable and that increasing volume will not increase performance. Should we just swim a couple times a week and then run and bike as much as humanly possible to get better?? I have already substituted more weight lifting for more swimming and It makes me feel better. What do you people that know more than me think? I have come to be a steady 2:00 / 100 yards and don't seem to get much better....I am sure my bike/run times will improve significantly over the summer...and hopefully with the lifting, I can take my shirt off when I stand next to Aaron and we sing ballads at the Def Leppard concert...
2007-06-06 4:00 PM
in reply to: #832893

User image

Veteran
Virginia

gator22 - 2007-06-06 4:51 PM I have been looking at some other forums and have found an interesting point. It seems that many people feel that swimming the bare minimum is acceptable and that increasing volume will not increase performance. Should we just swim a couple times a week and then run and bike as much as humanly possible to get better?? I have already substituted more weight lifting for more swimming and It makes me feel better. What do you people that know more than me think? I have come to be a steady 2:00 / 100 yards and don't seem to get much better....I am sure my bike/run times will improve significantly over the summer...and hopefully with the lifting, I can take my shirt off when I stand next to Aaron and we sing ballads at the Def Leppard concert...

One of the things I keep hearing is to train your weaknesses.  So, if you want to improve your swimming then you really need to work at it, but if you're happy with where you are you can keep doing the minimum to stay at that point.  Another thing I keep hearing is that biking is the part that you spend the most time in the race doing, so it's good to concentrate on that.  But, everybody is different, so you probably want to spend more time on the areas that you think need the most improvement.  I guess another thing I keep hearing is that it's good to use one of the training plans from the site, but I haven't followed that advice yet.

2007-06-06 4:07 PM

User image

gator22 - 2007-06-06 3:51 PM I have been looking at some other forums and have found an interesting point. It seems that many people feel that swimming the bare minimum is acceptable and that increasing volume will not increase performance. Should we just swim a couple times a week and then run and bike as much as humanly possible to get better?? I have already substituted more weight lifting for more swimming and It makes me feel better. What do you people that know more than me think? I have come to be a steady 2:00 / 100 yards and don't seem to get much better....I am sure my bike/run times will improve significantly over the summer...and hopefully with the lifting, I can take my shirt off when I stand next to Aaron and we sing ballads at the Def Leppard concert...

This is only my opinion:  If you are comfortable in the water and happy with your swim times, then dedicate more time to bike/run.  However, for those that are new fishes (like me), you need all the time in the water you can get.  I feel that I am a good swimmer, but I still have panic attacks when I get in the water.  I try to swim as much as I can so that I can deal with the panic....

Here's something important to think about.... you spend more time on the bike than you do on the other two sports.  If your bike time sucks, it will be hard to make that time up on the run.

Another point is that there is no subsititute for the tri specific sports.  If you want to be a better swimmer, the only thing that will make you better is swimming.  Doing something else might make you stronger or boost your endurance, but the only thing that will make you better at triathlon is working on your tri-specific skills.  Likewise, if you want to improve your bike times, RIDE LOTS!

2007-06-06 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I agree with Eric's and Robyn's thoughts for working on your weakest points.

I'm also about 2:00 per 100 yds, and sure enough if I lower that to 1:50, for my first race of 800 yds I've only saved myself 80 secs.

However, I'm not reducing the swimming because I do it so that even if my time doesn't improve significantly, I want to come out of the lake feeling strong, and not ready to puke.  I think that will be the best benefit I'll have as I jump on the bike, wondering what the heck am I doing here! Wink

Edited by willie05 2007-06-06 4:22 PM
2007-06-06 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Pour Some Sugar on Me....Tongue out

2007-06-06 4:24 PM
in reply to: #832957

User image

willie05 - 2007-06-06 4:21 PM

I, I want to come out of the lake feeling strong, and not ready to puke.  I think that will be the best benefit I'll have as I jump on the bike, wondering what the heck am I doing here! Wink

VERY good point.  You'd be shocked at how crappy you feel coming out of the water sometimes.

2007-06-06 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
So what do you do when every area is your weak spot? :-P
2007-06-06 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
How do you define a "weak" spot.

I'm sticking to my training regiman because that's what it tells me to do. And the training plan is very very specific saying you don't want to do more than what is in the plan because you need time to allow your body to heal between working out.

My plan: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Is that incorrect?

Edited by grnidone 2007-06-06 5:58 PM
2007-06-06 9:07 PM

User image

Regular

Kirk I will sing with you at any size.  I would not call myself slim and trim yet.

Edited by firstriguy 2007-06-06 9:11 PM
2007-06-06 11:16 PM
in reply to: #833048

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
"How do you define a "weak" spot."

grnidone,

If you have done a race, you will know. Until then, I would suggest trying a BRICK - where you bike about half the distance or time and then get off and run about half the distance or time...the ICK part is just how you might feel (maybe a twenty-thirty minute ride followed by a 10-15 minute run). I have tried swimming and then running (since I swim at a health club, I can't see them letting me bring my bike into the pool area, but then, I haven't asked... ), just as a test of my own endurance. I don't go hard, but I try for a good pace when I do one of these double workouts.
ITBS is Illio Tibial Band Syndrome. I have always run...I used to run track back when the earth's crust was cooling, even. Several years back, one of my arches started falling (always get good shoes - it is SO worth it - now I know why). The podiatrist made me a set of orthotics and they are comfortable to walk in; but, they did change my running mechanics. I may have to look into a coach. I have been "resting" for almost 18 months and I am itching to get back into the game and loose some weight!! I just can't let the "itch" run over what's best for me....
Later,
Vanessa

2007-06-07 7:24 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Robyn, I hope you don't mind:

Gator22: Yes, swimming is the "shortest" of the disiplines in Triathlon.  A Triathlon cannot be won on the swim, but it can be lost.  Now you may say, I'm not going to win this thing, so how does that affect me?  It affects you because if you come out of the water behind more people than you should, then you are mentally going to be down on yourself.  And it's harder to get back into the flow of a race if you've had, what you perceive, a bad start.  If you're ok with where your swim time is now and not happy with another time (bike split, run split), then maintain your swim volume and work on one of the other two aspects.  IMHO, a stumbling block for new Triathletes is that they look at each individual disipline too closely.  It's three sports, don't forget that. 

In regards to weights, they are great!  And also, feeling good goes a long way to getting better.  Just keep that in mind. 

erjellum: Training your weakness is a great way to go.  BUT, don't forget to maintain the others.  Usually, if you work on one disipline, the others will suffer a small bit.  But when it's all new, they will generally all improve.  Don't let the training habits of people who have been doing it for 5+ years define you too much.  First you need to figure out what you want to improve on first.  We all can improve overall and that starts one disipline at a time.  That includes Transitions!

grnidone: You are correct to follow the plans recovery times.  The most common misconception is that training hard every day will get you better.  It will give you momentary gains and quickly lead to injury.  Your body actually gets benefits from a workout about 4-5 days after it.  Your body gets stronger because of the stress you put on it and the repair it does.  In shorts, Hard on the hard days and Easy on the easy days.  Recovery is your best friend, especially when you're starting out.  Having a plan is so much easier and focused...so keep following it and after the plan, then reanalyze what you want to work on.  You can't get a benefit from any plan if you swich in the middle of it.

Kazho:  You crush all the disiplines when they are your weakness.  It's all about crossing that line right?  Never lose sight of that.

Marvarnett:  Some things that I've learned this season are that you can make huge strides in swimming by adding just one more session a week.  I went from 3 to 4 session a week and have dropped my 100 m time by 10 seconds.  I feel more confident at the start of the race and it all starts there.  I learned that getting better is a continual process that seems slow at times and then you get a step increase and continue one.  It's that step increase that makes it all worth while and keeps you going.  This thing we call Tri is all about helping ourselves out mentally and physically.  For me, it brings order and relaxation to my life.  I feel stressed out if I don't have some kind of focus and Tri's gives that to me. 

No matter your reason for doing this: Weight loss, getting faster, something new, etc....never forget that it is good for the body and YOU have to make it good for the mind.  Keep it fun and introduce others to the sport.  It's only impossible to do if you make it impossible to do.

Thanks for reading my rambling...I'll go off to my corner over here now.  :P

2007-06-07 9:34 AM
in reply to: #833633

User image

Marvarnett - 2007-06-07 7:24 AM

Robyn, I hope you don't mind:

Gator22: Yes, swimming is the "shortest" of the disiplines in Triathlon.  A Triathlon cannot be won on the swim, but it can be lost.  Now you may say, I'm not going to win this thing, so how does that affect me?  It affects you because if you come out of the water behind more people than you should, then you are mentally going to be down on yourself.  And it's harder to get back into the flow of a race if you've had, what you perceive, a bad start.  If you're ok with where your swim time is now and not happy with another time (bike split, run split), then maintain your swim volume and work on one of the other two aspects.  IMHO, a stumbling block for new Triathletes is that they look at each individual disipline too closely.  It's three sports, don't forget that. 

In regards to weights, they are great!  And also, feeling good goes a long way to getting better.  Just keep that in mind. 

erjellum: Training your weakness is a great way to go.  BUT, don't forget to maintain the others.  Usually, if you work on one disipline, the others will suffer a small bit.  But when it's all new, they will generally all improve.  Don't let the training habits of people who have been doing it for 5+ years define you too much.  First you need to figure out what you want to improve on first.  We all can improve overall and that starts one disipline at a time.  That includes Transitions!

grnidone: You are correct to follow the plans recovery times.  The most common misconception is that training hard every day will get you better.  It will give you momentary gains and quickly lead to injury.  Your body actually gets benefits from a workout about 4-5 days after it.  Your body gets stronger because of the stress you put on it and the repair it does.  In shorts, Hard on the hard days and Easy on the easy days.  Recovery is your best friend, especially when you're starting out.  Having a plan is so much easier and focused...so keep following it and after the plan, then reanalyze what you want to work on.  You can't get a benefit from any plan if you swich in the middle of it.

Kazho:  You crush all the disiplines when they are your weakness.  It's all about crossing that line right?  Never lose sight of that.

Marvarnett:  Some things that I've learned this season are that you can make huge strides in swimming by adding just one more session a week.  I went from 3 to 4 session a week and have dropped my 100 m time by 10 seconds.  I feel more confident at the start of the race and it all starts there.  I learned that getting better is a continual process that seems slow at times and then you get a step increase and continue one.  It's that step increase that makes it all worth while and keeps you going.  This thing we call Tri is all about helping ourselves out mentally and physically.  For me, it brings order and relaxation to my life.  I feel stressed out if I don't have some kind of focus and Tri's gives that to me. 

No matter your reason for doing this: Weight loss, getting faster, something new, etc....never forget that it is good for the body and YOU have to make it good for the mind.  Keep it fun and introduce others to the sport.  It's only impossible to do if you make it impossible to do.

Thanks for reading my rambling...I'll go off to my corner over here now.  :P

Dan:  of course I don't mind...

Everyone else:  Listen to the man!!!

2007-06-07 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I can't quite remember - Is a fartlick basically picking a point and running fast to get to it, then slowing down for a bit, then picking another point and running fast again?

2007-06-07 1:14 PM
in reply to: #834316

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
willie05 - 2007-06-07 1:47 PM

I can't quite remember - Is a fartlick basically picking a point and running fast to get to it, then slowing down for a bit, then picking another point and running fast again?

I am not for sure how to perform a fartlick, but the things my mind conjures makes me alternate between grimacing and giggling...

2007-06-07 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
willie05 - 2007-06-07 12:47 PM

I think so and it's spelled fartlek. I think what you used is what I used to call my younger male cousin when he was being a total..well, fartlick.....

vmax

2007-06-07 1:26 PM
in reply to: #834382

User image

vmax3000 - 2007-06-07 1:15 PM
willie05 - 2007-06-07 12:47 PM

I think so and it's spelled fartlek. I think what you used is what I used to call my younger male cousin when he was being a total..well, fartlick..... vmax

Must.control.myself.  No.immature.humor.from.the.mentor.  This is not COJ.  This is not COJ.  This is not COJ.

K... better now.  Carry on.

(FYI:  post all of the immature humor you want here... it keeps it fun.)

Edited by triOK 2007-06-07 1:28 PM
2007-06-07 2:10 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
willie05 - 2007-06-07 1:47 PM

Fartleck literally means "to play with speed".  It is essentially what you said.  Alternating speed work.  The purpose is to work on form for short durations of high speed and turnover.  It also allows your body to work on processing Lactic Acid better.  You push hard and Lactic Acid builds up, then you slow down, but don't stop this increase the rate at which your body flushes out the acid.  You become more efficient at it while being able to keep a high threshold.

The speed increases are not all out, but fast so that you can keep proper form.

2007-06-07 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Thanks Dan!  Especially for the explanation behind it.

and to the rest of you and my spelling - Tongue out

Laughing

2007-06-07 3:22 PM
in reply to: #834555

User image

Expert
I want everyone to know that I was not eligible to interview for the position that Aaron just got with the department......(Just kidding buddy)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42