BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-01-19 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1154953

User image

Apple Valley, MN
Subject: RE: Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!!

notarunnr

Just wanted to say thank you for your details on the swim.  This is very helpful and I will work with my coach to incorporate this into my routine. 

I was wondering too whether one day of training each week is sufficient to meet my goal of 1500m, 28 min.  And finally, whether flip turns will improve my time....and by how much.

2008-01-21 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1157349

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
I incorporated some of the drills into my swim on Sunday-thanks again for the link and info. Very helpful. In reading the swimplan website-I took a 5 minute time trial and stroke count as well to get an idea of where I am starting from.. my swimming buddy has a much more efficient stroke (her stroke count per lap was 20 while mine was 30) and she had two more lengths in the 5 minute trial than I did. I am hoping it is good to work out with a better swimmer...it might rub off?? Here's hoping anyway! Hope you have a great week!
2008-01-21 11:26 PM
in reply to: #1094360

User image

Chicago, IL
I was wondering if anyone can suggest some good reading on nutrition. Any advice? I would like to stay at my current weight (or gain weight) throughout my training. In the past I have found that I lose a few pounds when training for a race. Eat more? Is there a more quantitative way of keeping track of calculating intake and calories burnt during workouts?
thanks!
Mauro.
2008-01-22 12:41 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Well, I have found a website for tracking daily intake and activities. I will give it a tri...
www.fitday.com
2008-01-23 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1169854

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
maurof78 - 2008-01-22 11:41 AM

Well, I have found a website for tracking daily intake and activities. I will give it a tri...
www.fitday.com

Let us know how it works for you-I was doing something similar on mycaloriecounter.com but for the opposite reason...
2008-01-23 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1165314

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
tpurk40 - 2008-01-19 9:19 AM

notarunnr

Just wanted to say thank you for your details on the swim. This is very helpful and I will work with my coach to incorporate this into my routine.

I was wondering too whether one day of training each week is sufficient to meet my goal of 1500m, 28 min. And finally, whether flip turns will improve my time....and by how much.

I personally don't think one swim per week is going to get you there any time soon.  I think at least two is more efficient, but I understand the time limitations in getting to the pool.  The time in the water is important, because you need to take the feeling you get in the drill work and imprint it into your muscles, so it becomes more habit rather than concentrating to keep good form.  That occurs much faster the more you are in the water. 

Flip turns,  yes they will improve your times, and I recommend that you get used to doing them.  For the most part flip turns are faster than an open turn probably 90% of the time.  It also provides good cardio, as they do suck oxygen.  Maybe on the first few you will be gasping for air when you take your first breath out of the turn, but they get easier eventually...kind of like hypoxic training.  If you are not used to doing them start with a commitment that you will do them in your warm up and cool down always, and then add them in to your core work as you become more comfortable.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.  

2008-01-23 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1168173

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Hollz - 2008-01-21 2:49 PM I incorporated some of the drills into my swim on Sunday-thanks again for the link and info. Very helpful. In reading the swimplan website-I took a 5 minute time trial and stroke count as well to get an idea of where I am starting from.. my swimming buddy has a much more efficient stroke (her stroke count per lap was 20 while mine was 30) and she had two more lengths in the 5 minute trial than I did. I am hoping it is good to work out with a better swimmer...it might rub off?? Here's hoping anyway! Hope you have a great week!

I am not a real big fan of stroke count...I stroke at 16, but I also get a big push off my turn, and don't start stroking until the flags.  However, I displace a lot of water on my strokes, and move pretty quickly down the lane despite the count.  I have a straight arm recovery which I believe helps in that displacement.  Stroke count is good for benchmarking though, and I do track it every so often, or if I am feeling particularly sluggish on any given day.  However 30 is a little high.  Make sure you are completing your stroke before you begin your next one, often the problem with a lot of swimmers lest they sink!  The drills will help, and as you track your stats in the swim plan, you will be amazed one day when all of a sudden you see a drop.  I recommend you review everything at least once a month.  I hope the drills help, and you start to swim more efficiently.  Remember to stay long and lean!

BTW, one can't help but get better when swimming with a faster swimmer.  I often head out with my 14 yo son who does a 57sec 100 yard free, and try to keep up with himSurprised

2008-01-26 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Just wanted to let everyone know that they are setting up the February challenge. Bike, swim or run, your choice. I find it helps me stay motivated to work out. I did the run challenge in January, and I actually got out and ran today even though it was cold. I would have easily talked myself into not doing it if I hadn't made a commitment to a team. Check it out and maybe we will be on the same challenge team for the month. Hopefully this link will get you there.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2008-01-28 10:00 AM

hey everyone
Finnally made it to a computer I moved to a little place in western kansas. I got a local pool and am able to swim does anyone know any drills to help you not bring up your had when you breath
Thanks joe
2008-01-29 3:07 AM
in reply to: #1179515

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Welcome back to the group Joe.
2008-01-29 3:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Well Guy's

It's about a month in, how's everybody doing ?

I am/will check-in on you individually but this forum has been great to see the interaction and questions between the group.

If anybody wants we can pick a few topics and talk about how this might relate to your races later in the year or current training.

Some ideas are:

Nutrition
Transitions
Swim Drills
Gear
Tapering
Putting together a training program

2008-01-29 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1179515

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

h2orunutz - 2008-01-28 11:00 AM hey everyone Finnally made it to a computer I moved to a little place in western kansas. I got a local pool and am able to swim does anyone know any drills to help you not bring up your had when you breath Thanks joe

Hope you are enjoying Kansas, I have never been there.  Did you move from another state?

Focus on keeping one goggle in the water when you turn your head, that will keep your head low. When you turn your head there is a pocket of air right at your shoulder, that is where you want to breathe from.  Also make sure that you are not breathing late; Start turning your head to breathe before the recovering arm(non-breathing side) hits the water.

Also try streamline lateral kicking with fins.  You have to turn your head to breathe, but practice keeping your ear in the water.

2008-01-29 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1181078

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

guyo - 2008-01-29 4:10 AM Well Guy's It's about a month in, how's everybody doing ? I am/will check-in on you individually but this forum has been great to see the interaction and questions between the group. If anybody wants we can pick a few topics and talk about how this might relate to your races later in the year or current training. Some ideas are: Nutrition Transitions Swim Drills Gear Tapering Putting together a training program

Hi guy! I am still focusing on the swim and run.  I add an extra run on Saturday, which my hip and IT band were not to happy about.  I planned on some intervals for my swim workout tomorrow, but I am going to change that to a long, lean, slow swim to stretch the IT band and assorted muscles.  

I took the dog on a run this morning to try and slow my pace.  he is a 2 yr old lab, but has a steel plate in his knee, so I can't push him; it seemed to work.

I would like to have a discussion about HR training, I don't understand it, and I don't think that my age adjusted HR is the right way to look at HR.  I would like to try the LT method has anyone done that?

2008-01-30 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1182750

Colorado Springs, CO
notarunnr - 2008-01-29 7:44 PM

guyo - 2008-01-29 4:10 AM Well Guy's It's about a month in, how's everybody doing ? I am/will check-in on you individually but this forum has been great to see the interaction and questions between the group. If anybody wants we can pick a few topics and talk about how this might relate to your races later in the year or current training. Some ideas are: Nutrition Transitions Swim Drills Gear Tapering Putting together a training program

Hi guy! I am still focusing on the swim and run.  I add an extra run on Saturday, which my hip and IT band were not to happy about.  I planned on some intervals for my swim workout tomorrow, but I am going to change that to a long, lean, slow swim to stretch the IT band and assorted muscles.  

I took the dog on a run this morning to try and slow my pace.  he is a 2 yr old lab, but has a steel plate in his knee, so I can't push him; it seemed to work.

I would like to have a discussion about HR training, I don't understand it, and I don't think that my age adjusted HR is the right way to look at HR.  I would like to try the LT method has anyone done that?

I'd like to understand HR training as well. In addition I'd like to get some advice on nutrition. I eat pretty healthy, but I would like some pointers on pre/post workout foods. I see lots of ads for a recovery drink in a can, but I prefer real foods whenever possible. Thanks!

April
2008-01-30 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1183322

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
mysfit - 2008-01-30 7:10 AM

I'd like to understand HR training as well. In addition I'd like to get some advice on nutrition. I eat pretty healthy, but I would like some pointers on pre/post workout foods. I see lots of ads for a recovery drink in a can, but I prefer real foods whenever possible. Thanks!

April

Yes! Let's talk about HR training and FOOD!
2008-01-30 6:30 PM
in reply to: #1184396

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Hollz - 2008-01-30 3:32 PM
mysfit - 2008-01-30 7:10 AM

Hi guy! I am still focusing on the swim and run. I add an extra run on Saturday, which my hip and IT band were not to happy about. I planned on some intervals for my swim workout tomorrow, but I am going to change that to a long, lean, slow swim to stretch the IT band and assorted muscles.

I took the dog on a run this morning to try and slow my pace. he is a 2 yr old lab, but has a steel plate in his knee, so I can't push him; it seemed to work.

I would like to have a discussion about HR training, I don't understand it, and I don't think that my age adjusted HR is the right way to look at HR. I would like to try the LT method has anyone done that?

I'd like to understand HR training as well. In addition I'd like to get some advice on nutrition. I eat pretty healthy, but I would like some pointers on pre/post workout foods. I see lots of ads for a recovery drink in a can, but I prefer real foods whenever possible. Thanks! April
Yes! Let's talk about HR training and FOOD!

I like to talk about food! yum.  Except I have a horrible diet; right now, because it is so cold Hot chocolate is my recovery drink.  So I can't provide any information on nutrition, except i know it is probably not a good thing to have a bowl of ice cream every night before bedTongue out.

It would be interesting to see what people use for nutrition for long distance and short distances.   I see some people using nutrition on runs that are an hour long, I don't think I would normally do that.  And I know that I don't do well with hydration either. 

2008-02-03 9:23 AM

Colorado Springs, CO
I am so bummed!!! My tri has been cancelled!!! And there are no other tris locally here in Colorado Springs that I could find. That means I am going to have to travel to Denver (or another city) with my whole family, stay in a hotel, etc. *sigh* I really want to do a tri, so I guess we will be travelling!
2008-02-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1191889

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
mysfit - 2008-02-03 8:23 AM

I am so bummed!!! My tri has been cancelled!!! And there are no other tris locally here in Colorado Springs that I could find. That means I am going to have to travel to Denver (or another city) with my whole family, stay in a hotel, etc. *sigh* I really want to do a tri, so I guess we will be travelling!

Girlfriend! Think about joining my TriChai group for the Highline Hustle in Grand Junction...you could be our 4th. We are 3 married gals that are planning to make this a girls weekend in Grand Junction for the race and maybe a night in Glenwood Springs on the way back. If you are not in the mood to take the whole family....this might be an alternative for you. We will carpool and share rooms, so it won't be as much of an expense...It is June 7th.
Holly
2008-02-04 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1191889

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

mysfit - 2008-02-03 10:23 AM I am so bummed!!! My tri has been cancelled!!! And there are no other tris locally here in Colorado Springs that I could find. That means I am going to have to travel to Denver (or another city) with my whole family, stay in a hotel, etc. *sigh* I really want to do a tri, so I guess we will be travelling!

So Sorry your tri got cancelledCry!  Did it not get enough participants?  I hope you can come up with another one to do....I like Holly's idea, make it a girls weekend.  Instead of treating yourself to a weekend at the spa, treat yourself to a weekend of triathlon.  What better escape could there be? 

2008-02-05 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Sorry to hear about your Tri being cancelled, the trip with the girls sounds like fun, otherwise try search on the BT race calendar or active.com and I am sure you will find something equally suitable for you.
2008-02-05 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1193494

Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, I guess there was lack of sponsorship. I have checked active.com and just about every other place I can find on the internet, but I can't find anything else local. Strange, because they are such health/fitness fanatics here.

Thanks so much Holly for inviting me. Honestly, I would **LOVE** to join you guys for a girls weekend, but I have a baby that I couldn't be separated from for that long. Hopefully next year we will still be doing the tri thing and we can try it.

I will check out the tri you guys are going to do though - if we have to travel our options are open and it would be a lot of fun to meet up with you guys.

April

2008-02-06 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1196331

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
mysfit - 2008-02-05 8:35 PM

Yeah, I guess there was lack of sponsorship. I have checked active.com and just about every other place I can find on the internet, but I can't find anything else local. Strange, because they are such health/fitness fanatics here.

Thanks so much Holly for inviting me. Honestly, I would **LOVE** to join you guys for a girls weekend, but I have a baby that I couldn't be separated from for that long. Hopefully next year we will still be doing the tri thing and we can try it.

I will check out the tri you guys are going to do though - if we have to travel our options are open and it would be a lot of fun to meet up with you guys.

April

Too bad you can't join us...but do check it out-if you do it, we'll definitely celebrate our Tri try!! There is also a race in May at Bear Creek Lake Park which is at C470 and 285-near Bandimere speedway which wouldn't be too bad of a drive..but that water might be a bit on the chilly side at the beginning of May! www.littlefoottri.com is the link.
2008-02-20 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1197669

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Where did everyone go? Are you out there? Just wondering how February is coming along...Cheers to all!
2008-02-21 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1224591

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Hollz - 2008-02-20 6:22 PM Where did everyone go? Are you out there? Just wondering how February is coming along...Cheers to all!

Hi Holly!  I think everyone else disappeared, except for April, Todd, Guy, you and I.  How's it going.  I have been continuing my run building.  I am finally at 3.5 miles, not any faster but now I can do a 5K Smile.  

Check out Todd's brick he did yesterday, PB for swimming, and well on his way to his ideal weight...awesome. 

2008-02-21 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
I am still around but have been a bit slack the last couple of weeks being overseas and working. will review what you are all up to !!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  

of 6