BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-01-16 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1104346

Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Freshly Closed !!
Hi Guys
I hope everyone is well. Apparently two of us are having computer poblems at he moment. As for me I have been getting out there a bit jogging but certainly not enough. Still working on a couple of items around here but I should get fulltime training within a week. I just want to wish everyone the best success and continued good health and I will write more next week.
Good Luck to all
Jay

2008-01-17 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Hey Danny,

Would you recommend adding in a running speed drill day once a week to my sprint tri training schedule? I'm following the beginner sprint and it doesn't show anywhere within the 12 weeks for running faster then a 1-2 heart rate zone. This concerns me with speed and letting my body get used to the pain of running faster. Isn't it "no pain, no gain"? I'm affraid that my body is going to get use to running slow.

2008-01-19 8:16 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi guys,

My apologies...its been a rough week,  and I have been slacking in the mentor department.

(I did warn you there would be some weeks where either myself or some of you would find it hard to tie into the Mentor group - solution...get right back into the saddle and continue!).

I'm going to respond to some of the posts now....then head out for a long ride today...and will continue this afternoon with the BT updates.

Danny 

2008-01-19 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1155031

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Cav,

I saw on your log that the treadmill run went well. Hopefully no more problems with the thigh/groin.

The race list shows your 1st race is in March, but I had the impression from your post that you have one sooner?  If so, when is this?

When is your BDAY?  I celebrated 44 on Thursday!!

And yes, whatever you do, DO NOT incur the wrath of the 6 & 9 year olds !!

Regarding the pool, I have found swimming to be a huge help when I have sore legs (in terms of loosening the muscles).  If your hip soreness is a problem while kicking, try to focus on using a pull buoy (peanut shaped Styrofoam buoy) to float the legs and concentrate un good form for your arms.   This is actually very good drill for developing better form...you can focus on breathing and body rotation. 

Stay dry!!

njcavill65 - 2008-01-14 11:23 AM Hi Gang How are we all, another wet and cold day in my part of the UK. I've eased back a little this weekend as I've had a bit of discomfort in my right thigh and groin area, will have a gentle 30 mins on the treadmill tomorrow to see how it feels, fingers crossed. Bit of a dilema as my first race of the season is the morning after my birthday and I think a meal out is being planned, may have to reschedule the run or face the wrath of my 9 & 6 year old daughters!! Have a crazy day peeps! PS - Danny thanks for the hints on my swimming, I'll be in the ppol again later in the week

Edited by dhyte 2008-01-19 8:26 AM
2008-01-19 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1159605

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Carol,

Come back soon and catch us up on how you are doing!!

Danny

ccessex - 2008-01-16 9:34 AM Hi Everyone, I've been offline since last week, but hopefully will get computer problems fixed soon - will jump back in to discussions then. Happy training everyone! Carol

2008-01-19 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1160582

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Jayson,

Good to hear from you!

Glad to hear you have been able to get some jogging in...when you have a chance update your training logs - doesn't matter how much, how far...get it all in there !

Talk to you soon,

Danny 

fullie64 - 2008-01-16 3:54 PM Hi Guys I hope everyone is well. Apparently two of us are having computer poblems at he moment. As for me I have been getting out there a bit jogging but certainly not enough. Still working on a couple of items around here but I should get fulltime training within a week. I just want to wish everyone the best success and continued good health and I will write more next week. Good Luck to all Jay

2008-01-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1162372

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Brian,

I want to double check which BT sprint prgram you are following.

Is it the "Basic Sprint Triathlon Training Plan by Heart-Rate Zones - 12 Week"?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=632 

Can you confirm the above, and also which week and day you are currently at.

I understand your concern about the body "forgetting what if eels like to run fast".

Your 1st 5K is in about a month.  Let's figure out your goal pace for that race and go from there.  I would suggest spending at least 1 day per week working on speed. 

I hesitate to tell you to join a full blown track workout once a week (only temporarily though).  I only say that because sprinting will strain your muscles/joints quite a bit differently then what you are used to.  I would say wait on that.

If you have access to a treadmill, I would try to use it to do a very "controlled increase in your pace.

Get used to running on the treadmill until you are at a comfortable pace.  Do this for about 10 minutes.  Then gradually increase your pace until you hit your "target" pace.  You may only be able to hold this pace for a minute or two initially.  Then ease back to your "comfortable pace.

Repeat this until you can extend the amount of time at the faster pace.

It is nice and controlled.  You can build muscle memory and learn teh "cadence" of this faster pace.

Then start to incorporate this cadence into some of your regular runs.

Do not overdo this (at least initially).  Lemme know how it goes.

Danny 

Txhokie - 2008-01-17 12:38 PM Hey Danny, Would you recommend adding in a running speed drill day once a week to my sprint tri training schedule? I'm following the beginner sprint and it doesn't show anywhere within the 12 weeks for running faster then a 1-2 heart rate zone. This concerns me with speed and letting my body get used to the pain of running faster. Isn't it "no pain, no gain"? I'm affraid that my body is going to get use to running slow.

2008-01-19 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1165364

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Yes that is the training program that I am taking on. I started the program on Sunday Dec. 23 2007. Tomorrow will begin my 5th week and 28th day. This is a perfect time going into my first Sprint on March 15.

Yes I have the 5k in a month, but I just want to know what the feel of compitition is in the race. I have never ran a race in my life and I figured this would be a good practice for nerves, energy, and what it is like to run with 1000 other people at the same time. I would love to break 30 minutes in my first 5k. That is my goal. I would love to be able to have a 9 minute pace for that race. I do have a tread mill at my gym and I really like your idea with using it. I think that I will try this once a week into my training program.

Thanks for the help.

dhyte - 2008-01-19 9:17 AM

Brian,

I understand your concern about the body "forgetting what if eels like to run fast".

Your 1st 5K is in about a month.  Let's figure out your goal pace for that race and go from there.  I would suggest spending at least 1 day per week working on speed. 

I hesitate to tell you to join a full blown track workout once a week (only temporarily though).  I only say that because sprinting will strain your muscles/joints quite a bit differently then what you are used to.  I would say wait on that.

If you have access to a treadmill, I would try to use it to do a very "controlled increase in your pace.

Get used to running on the treadmill until you are at a comfortable pace.  Do this for about 10 minutes.  Then gradually increase your pace until you hit your "target" pace.  You may only be able to hold this pace for a minute or two initially.  Then ease back to your "comfortable pace.

It is nice and controlled.  You can build muscle memory and learn teh "cadence" of this faster pace.

Do not overdo this (at least initially).  Lemme know how it goes.

Danny 

Txhokie - 2008-01-17 12:38 PM Hey Danny, Would you recommend adding in a running speed drill day once a week to my sprint tri training schedule? I'm following the beginner sprint and it doesn't show anywhere within the 12 weeks for running faster then a 1-2 heart rate zone. This concerns me with speed and letting my body get used to the pain of running faster. Isn't it "no pain, no gain"? I'm affraid that my body is going to get use to running slow.

2008-01-19 10:46 PM
in reply to: #1165471

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

When you push yourself to this faster pace, focus on shorter, faster strides, not long loping strides.  The longer stride causes a braking action, and also puts you legs/hips in an unnatural injury prone position.  Think "fast turnover".  Keep your stride very controlled.  Think good form.  You want to "remember" this form, cadence, and turnover for your non-treadmill runs.

Depending on how it goes for the next two weeks, we can adjust your target pace and race plan accordingly.

You may not want to go overboard at thsi 1st 5K.  I'm a firm believer in taking it easy at your first try at any distance or race format.  It is MUCH more important to "take it all in" because there is only one "first time".  It will be memorable.  Take pictures and video.  They will be keepers.

You can use this a builder to your subsequent races later this year. 

Txhokie - 2008-01-19 9:21 AM Yes that is the training program that I am taking on. I started the program on Sunday Dec. 23 2007. Tomorrow will begin my 5th week and 28th day. This is a perfect time going into my first Sprint on March 15. Yes I have the 5k in a month, but I just want to know what the feel of compitition is in the race. I have never ran a race in my life and I figured this would be a good practice for nerves, energy, and what it is like to run with 1000 other people at the same time. I would love to break 30 minutes in my first 5k. That is my goal. I would love to be able to have a 9 minute pace for that race. I do have a tread mill at my gym and I really like your idea with using it. I think that I will try this once a week into my training program. Thanks for the help.
dhyte - 2008-01-19 9:17 AM

Brian,

Your 1st 5K is in about a month. Let's figure out your goal pace for that race and go from there. I would suggest spending at least 1 day per week working on speed.

I hesitate to tell you to join a full blown track workout once a week (only temporarily though). I only say that because sprinting will strain your muscles/joints quite a bit differently then what you are used to. I would say wait on that.

Get used to running on the treadmill until you are at a comfortable pace. Do this for about 10 minutes. Then gradually increase your pace until you hit your "target" pace. You may only be able to hold this pace for a minute or two initially. Then ease back to your "comfortable pace.

It is nice and controlled. You can build muscle memory and learn teh "cadence" of this faster pace.

Do not overdo this (at least initially). Lemme know how it goes.

Danny

2008-01-19 11:07 PM
in reply to: #1156702

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Ohhh yea....the duathalon......

It went pretty well.  

I basically treated it as a training day, as I'm coming out of a 6 week period where I was pretty much taking a break.  I knew I was in "race shape" but it was a free race put on by our local triathlon club, and it was a good reason to get out and scrape some rust off.

The format was 2.2 mile run on some rolling terrain, 14 mile bike ride (mixed flat and a couple of long inclines), and another 2.2 mile run (same route as before).

I ran 8:55 pace on the 1st run (ok for me, during mid season that would be closer to 8 min pace).  My T1 transition was like 1 min 10 sec...smoking fast...for a reason I'll explain in a moment. The bike ride was not bad, although slower than expected (also for the forthcoming reason).  T2 was 1:10 (only notable because I am notorious for my slow transitions), and the 2nd 2.2 run was 9:10 pace.

So the issue I alluded to above....

I did the major bonehead move...one I will counsel you to avoid....I showed up at the race without my bike shoes!  No good reason for this...major dumb move.  For all my triathlons, I always break out my favorite checklist and methodically go down the list and pre-pack.  For this little ol duathalon which was pratcially taking plac ein my back yard, I got lazy.

I ended up riding my bike with my running shoes on.  I have speedplay pedals which resemble little lollypops.  Not very good footing for my running shoes.  It was too horrible except it was uncomfortable, and wasn't possible to stand up on the pedals.

I will be posting my favorite checklist.  Some of you may have some you like also.

MilkeC - 2008-01-15 5:41 AM That's true...How did it go Danny? Tell us your experience so some of us that will be first time duathlon competitors can get a feeling of your experience.....tips, things to look out for... Finally today I'm getting my running shoes...woooo hoooooo...!!!! How is everyone doing??? Mike
Txhokie - 2008-01-14 9:47 PM How was your dualthon over the weekend Danny? Only question I have about the swim would be, what is it like to swim around 1000 people all at once? How long does it take to get in the open away from people?

2008-01-20 7:03 AM
in reply to: #1165315

User image

Regular
Hi Danny

Had a frustrating week, too much work has kept me from training (been away a bit), going to be similar this week too. Had a decent 8 miles this morning in the wind and rain which felt good.

Not sure on my first race my 16th March half will be dropped in favour of The Sport Relief Mile in my home time in Hull (http://www.sportrelief.com/) . It’s a big charity run and my 9 year old daughter wants to run it with me, I’m pleased she’s interested! I’ll find something sooner.

I’m going to hook up with these guys soon http://www.barracudatriclub.com/index.phpthis is my local club and just what I need, especially on the swimming front!

On of my pals is doing the famous The Marathon Des Sables in 2009 http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/ so I’m going to train with him a bit, mainly on the bike to give his running a break. Man 151 miles in the Sahara desert in 6 days is crazy. We may look at Ironman in 2010 together if things go well.

I’m 43 on March 15th, and never felt fitter buddy

Have a crazy day!

dhyte - 2008-01-19 2:20 PM

Hi Cav,

I saw on your log that the treadmill run went well. Hopefully no more problems with the thigh/groin.

The race list shows your 1st race is in March, but I had the impression from your post that you have one sooner?  If so, when is this?

When is your BDAY?  I celebrated 44 on Thursday!!

Regarding the pool, I have found swimming to be a huge help when I have sore legs (in terms of loosening the muscles).  If your hip soreness is a problem while kicking, try to focus on using a pull buoy (peanut shaped Styrofoam buoy) to float the legs and concentrate un good form for your arms.   This is actually very good drill for developing better form...you can focus on breathing and body rotation. 

Stay dry!!

njcavill65 - 2008-01-14 11:23 AM Hi Gang How are we all, another wet and cold day in my part of the UK. I've eased back a little this weekend as I've had a bit of discomfort in my right thigh and groin area, will have a gentle 30 mins on the treadmill tomorrow to see how it feels, fingers crossed. Bit of a dilema as my first race of the season is the morning after my birthday and I think a meal out is being planned, may have to reschedule the run or face the wrath of my 9 & 6 year old daughters!! Have a crazy day peeps! PS - Danny thanks for the hints on my swimming, I'll be in the ppol again later in the week

2008-01-21 6:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: I'm still here!
Hey gang,

I'm still here and working at it pretty hard. While I've lagged in posting and logging my workouts I haven't slacked on my training.

My laptop died last weekend (I believe the power bus is fried) - I keep most of my training info on my laptop. Hoping that I would get the laptop back rather quickly I have held off posting trying to avoid recording info twice. But, I've given in. Luckily the Polar HRM (S625x) that I use will store all of my workouts until I know the results of the tech work.

Most of the training has been uneventful, I'm starting to get into a flow. I missed a strength workout and tabled a swim during the week, but came pretty close to hitting my volume goals.

However, Saturday's workout was a doozy! I think the workout gods were aligned against me - or just playing with me.

I started the day planning on a medium effort swim with a long bike (1:30). I went to one of the pools that is closest to my house, but not my favorite. This pool is a little cheeper and tends to draw an older - much older - like gerriatric (sp?) crowd - that tend to just bob up and down the lane. Not that this pool places lane lines - so it is kind of a free for all. I got to the pool early hoping to avoid the rush. It was all going well until the end. I was doing 10x50 sprints - as the workout progressed, more and more bobbing Germans ended up in my lane. I was having to avoid them. I got frustrated and got out - leaving my cd and last set of 10x50s undone. Funny thing is, is that there was plenty of room in the other parts of the pool. But, it was Germans being german. If you've ever been here, you know what I mean. I love this country, but some times....

Well, I got home and set off on my bike ride. During the first part of the ride I think to myself "what do you do during a long race when you get a flat"...something to read up on later. Low and behold, half way into the ride, you guessed it, I got a flat. I thought about calling my wife and having her come get me, but I decided to just run on back home. Good thing I wear my running shoes when I bike (I don't have bike shoes or clip pedals or anything like that). Surprisingly, it wasn't too difficult to push the bike and run along at the same time.

So, without planning it - I did a tri on Saturday. 1300 m swim, 11 mile bike ride and 4 miles or so of running; and felt good doing it.

Thom

Edited by sundevil87 2008-01-21 6:05 AM
2008-01-21 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1153294

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
dhyte - 2008-01-13 11:22 PM

This table can be copied into your short term goal area (or long term goal), and it will show up on the top of your training log page.

This provides a quick link to the group thread, and also makes it easier to encourage others in the group.

Let me know if you have any questions on how to copy the table.

Danny 

Danny - need an assist; I'm not figuring it out. I try to copy and paste but I don't retain the links?

Thom
2008-01-21 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1167431

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: I'm still here!
Well done Thom is that our first tri of the year, albeit 'unofficial'!!!!

Hey gang,

I'm still here and working at it pretty hard. While I've lagged in posting and logging my workouts I haven't slacked on my training.

My laptop died last weekend (I believe the power bus is fried) - I keep most of my training info on my laptop. Hoping that I would get the laptop back rather quickly I have held off posting trying to avoid recording info twice. But, I've given in. Luckily the Polar HRM (S625x) that I use will store all of my workouts until I know the results of the tech work.

Most of the training has been uneventful, I'm starting to get into a flow. I missed a strength workout and tabled a swim during the week, but came pretty close to hitting my volume goals.

However, Saturday's workout was a doozy! I think the workout gods were aligned against me - or just playing with me.

I started the day planning on a medium effort swim with a long bike (1:30). I went to one of the pools that is closest to my house, but not my favorite. This pool is a little cheeper and tends to draw an older - much older - like gerriatric (sp?) crowd - that tend to just bob up and down the lane. Not that this pool places lane lines - so it is kind of a free for all. I got to the pool early hoping to avoid the rush. It was all going well until the end. I was doing 10x50 sprints - as the workout progressed, more and more bobbing Germans ended up in my lane. I was having to avoid them. I got frustrated and got out - leaving my cd and last set of 10x50s undone. Funny thing is, is that there was plenty of room in the other parts of the pool. But, it was Germans being german. If you've ever been here, you know what I mean. I love this country, but some times....

Well, I got home and set off on my bike ride. During the first part of the ride I think to myself "what do you do during a long race when you get a flat"...something to read up on later. Low and behold, half way into the ride, you guessed it, I got a flat. I thought about calling my wife and having her come get me, but I decided to just run on back home. Good thing I wear my running shoes when I bike (I don't have bike shoes or clip pedals or anything like that). Surprisingly, it wasn't too difficult to push the bike and run along at the same time.

So, without planning it - I did a tri on Saturday. 1300 m swim, 11 mile bike ride and 4 miles or so of running; and felt good doing it.

Thom

2008-01-21 10:10 PM
in reply to: #1153294

Florida
I'm still here as well. This past week I let my lazy half win and got nothing done as far as work-outs. But, I got back into it Saturday with a run that got cut short because of the weather. I debated if I should've gone out to begin with since there was a tornado warning in the area, but I was running close to home so ran anyway.

I did get some new running shoes Tuesday in hopes that would help the shin splints. But, they're still here, so I'm going on heavy ice/stretch routine and I've spent the evening researching some good stretches and tips to help out a little. Hopefully some of this will help.

Danny, I've heard some about Active Isolation Stretching. Have or do you ever do it? If you have, any tips or good references I could check out for it?

Also, I decided to target my first tri of the summer for May 17 - http://www.bfastriathlon.org/bfas-triathlon.html It's a .25/11/3 sprint with an ocean swim. The 16 week mark is coming up next week, so I am going to mesh the "16 Week Sprint - Run Focused" plan with the one I was using for the 15K in March starting next Monday...I just have to find a pool.

Happy training all
2008-01-22 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1166156

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

That's awesome that your daughter wants to do the race with you!  I had to bribe my  17 year old daughter to go out on a 6 mile run with me a few months ago ....

I looked at the website for your local tri club - they look very active and well organized.  Having group workouts planned is the best way to get yourself motivated to get out the door early in the morning to get those training sessions in.

43 and in great shape...why not a 2009 IM ?  You can do it !

njcavill65 - 2008-01-20 5:03 AM Hi Danny Had a frustrating week, too much work has kept me from training (been away a bit), going to be similar this week too. Had a decent 8 miles this morning in the wind and rain which felt good. Not sure on my first race my 16th March half will be dropped in favour of The Sport Relief Mile in my home time in Hull (http://www.sportrelief.com/) . It’s a big charity run and my 9 year old daughter wants to run it with me, I’m pleased she’s interested! I’ll find something sooner. I’m going to hook up with these guys soon http://www.barracudatriclub.com/index.phpthis is my local club and just what I need, especially on the swimming front! On of my pals is doing the famous The Marathon Des Sables in 2009 http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/ so I’m going to train with him a bit, mainly on the bike to give his running a break. Man 151 miles in the Sahara desert in 6 days is crazy. We may look at Ironman in 2010 together if things go well. I’m 43 on March 15th, and never felt fitter buddy Have a crazy day!
dhyte - 2008-01-19 2:20 PM

Hi Cav,

The race list shows your 1st race is in March, but I had the impression from your post that you have one sooner? If so, when is this?

When is your BDAY? I celebrated 44 on Thursday!!

Regarding the pool, I have found swimming to be a huge help when I have sore legs (in terms of loosening the muscles). If your hip soreness is a problem while kicking, try to focus on using a pull buoy (peanut shaped Styrofoam buoy) to float the legs and concentrate un good form for your arms. This is actually very good drill for developing better form...you can focus on breathing and body rotation.

Stay dry!!

2008-01-22 4:06 PM
in reply to: #1167431

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: I'm still here!

Woohoo - an accidental triathlon!!!  Mark in the training logs...i's official !!

Sorry to hear about the dead laptop...

As far as missing any workouts, don't worry about your volume necessarily, but think more about getting back into your regular routine.  I'm a creature of habit, and when I start freelancing my routine (sometimes out of necessity), I get completely out of rhythm.

You won't lose strength, your base, or fitness from just a few missed workouts. (I'm not telling you to be a slacker, just don't worry about doubling up too much, and risking overtraining injuries.).

I HATE when there are kids doing cannonballs practically on my head when I'm swimming laps, or people just meandering through the small area of the pool I'm using... 

I know when I'm getting majorly pissed at the 12 year olds just being kids, its time for me to take a break.  Sounds like you ended up having a great workout day anyway, so it turned out great (except for the flat).

So...speaking of flats... I had one last Thursday, and then my buddy had 2 in 30 minutes on Saturday.  It's a given you will get flats (sometimes in the worst possible places/times). 

I ALWAYS take my cell phone, drivers license, credit card, and a few dollars with me in a zip lock bag when I ride (especially on long rides).   I also try to bring supplies that allow me to repair common problems (1 or more spare inner tubes, 2 CO2 cartridges / with valve stem adapter, tire irons, small bike tool that includes a chain repair tool, a couple of handiwipes for the greasy fingers, and a patch kit (although I rarely patch my tires)).

Having said that, I have still had to call for a ride a few times (broken chain that defied any repair effort, slashed tire (not the tube, but the tire - BTW I found out that in an emergency a dollar bill folded and placed between the inner tube and tire will sometimes get you back on the road temporarily),  or locking my keys in the car (when I drove to the start of a remote ride).  It happens...

Anyhow, good job on the multi workout !!!!!!!!!!!!

sundevil87 - 2008-01-21 4:02 AM Hey gang, I'm still here and working at it pretty hard. While I've lagged in posting and logging my workouts I haven't slacked on my training. My laptop died last weekend (I believe the power bus is fried) - I keep most of my training info on my laptop. Hoping that I would get the laptop back rather quickly I have held off posting trying to avoid recording info twice. But, I've given in. Luckily the Polar HRM (S625x) that I use will store all of my workouts until I know the results of the tech work. Most of the training has been uneventful, I'm starting to get into a flow. I missed a strength workout and tabled a swim during the week, but came pretty close to hitting my volume goals. However, Saturday's workout was a doozy! I think the workout gods were aligned against me - or just playing with me. I started the day planning on a medium effort swim with a long bike (1:30). I went to one of the pools that is closest to my house, but not my favorite. This pool is a little cheeper and tends to draw an older - much older - like gerriatric (sp?) crowd - that tend to just bob up and down the lane. Not that this pool places lane lines - so it is kind of a free for all. I got to the pool early hoping to avoid the rush. It was all going well until the end. I was doing 10x50 sprints - as the workout progressed, more and more bobbing Germans ended up in my lane. I was having to avoid them. I got frustrated and got out - leaving my cd and last set of 10x50s undone. Funny thing is, is that there was plenty of room in the other parts of the pool. But, it was Germans being german. If you've ever been here, you know what I mean. I love this country, but some times.... Well, I got home and set off on my bike ride. During the first part of the ride I think to myself "what do you do during a long race when you get a flat"...something to read up on later. Low and behold, half way into the ride, you guessed it, I got a flat. I thought about calling my wife and having her come get me, but I decided to just run on back home. Good thing I wear my running shoes when I bike (I don't have bike shoes or clip pedals or anything like that). Surprisingly, it wasn't too difficult to push the bike and run along at the same time. So, without planning it - I did a tri on Saturday. 1300 m swim, 11 mile bike ride and 4 miles or so of running; and felt good doing it. Thom

2008-01-22 4:18 PM
in reply to: #1168224

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Try this,

I will put the text/code into an attachment to this post. Open the attachment, copy the enclosed text, and then go to your control panel, and then select the goals tab. Select the "html" icon and then paste the text in.

Let me know if it works for you.

Danny - need an assist; I'm not figuring it out. I try to copy and paste but I don't retain the links? Thom

Edited by dhyte 2008-01-22 4:28 PM

Attachments
----------------
mentor_group_quick_links.txt (5KB - 29 downloads)
2008-01-22 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1170419

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Edited by dhyte 2008-01-22 4:21 PM
2008-01-22 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1168966

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Nancy!!

Running in a tornado....where's the video camera when we need it ????

I've never tried Active Isolated Stretching. I did find a related website that looked pretty interesting:

http://www.stretchingusa.com/

I have tried a form of deep tissue massage that invloves moving the muscle all through its range of motion while performing the deep tissue massage. It has been an excellent therapy when I had a few injuries. It is not a cureall, but has helped me with hip, knee, and back issues.

Check out this link if interested:

http://www.activerelease.com/

Be sure to update the race calendar post with your race agenda!!!

Danny

LadyGator - 2008-01-21 8:10 PM I'm still here as well. This past week I let my lazy half win and got nothing done as far as work-outs. But, I got back into it Saturday with a run that got cut short because of the weather. I debated if I should've gone out to begin with since there was a tornado warning in the area, but I was running close to home so ran anyway. I did get some new running shoes Tuesday in hopes that would help the shin splints. But, they're still here, so I'm going on heavy ice/stretch routine and I've spent the evening researching some good stretches and tips to help out a little. Hopefully some of this will help. Danny, I've heard some about Active Isolation Stretching. Have or do you ever do it? If you have, any tips or good references I could check out for it? Also, I decided to target my first tri of the summer for May 17 - http://www.bfastriathlon.org/bfas-triathlon.html It's a .25/11/3 sprint with an ocean swim. The 16 week mark is coming up next week, so I am going to mesh the "16 Week Sprint - Run Focused" plan with the one I was using for the 15K in March starting next Monday...I just have to find a pool. Happy training all

Edited by dhyte 2008-01-22 4:47 PM
2008-01-22 4:41 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Here is a Race Checklist (from TCSD - Tri Club of San Diego website)

The checklist below is a work in progress. Keep in mind that not all items
are used for every race or everyone. Use this list as a reminder, or to
start your own list.

General

( ) Race packet
( ) USAT card
( ) Race entry confirmation letter
( ) Race Bib Numbers & Timing Chip, Pins
( ) Race Belt
( ) Wallet, ID, license, cash, etc.
( ) Transition bag (preferably backpack style)
( ) Pre-race meal
( ) Energy bars and/or gels
( ) Fluid replacement drinks and/or water
( ) Body glide
( ) Watch/Heart rate monitor
( ) First aid kit
( ) Toothbrush and paste
( ) Hotel information
( ) Directions, maps, etc to race start
( ) Walkman, books, magazines, etc.
( ) Extra safety pins
( ) Extra swimsuit
( ) Extra towels
( ) Extra contacts/glasses
( ) Ibuprofen and prescription drugs you take

Swim

( ) Swimsuit
( ) Wetsuit
( ) Goggles
( ) Earplugs
( ) Extra cap
( ) Towel (big and little)
( ) Water in a pan to wash sand off feet in T1
( ) Body-Glide to prevent chafing

Bike

( ) Bike
( ) Bike helmet
( ) Bike jersey
( ) Bike gloves
( ) Bike shorts (sometimes worn underneath wetsuit)
( ) Bike shoes
( ) Sports bra
( ) Sunglasses
( ) Patch kit
( ) Pump (floor and emergency pumps)
( ) Spare tubes
( ) Tools
( ) Water bottles
( ) Small towel

Run

( ) Running hat
( ) Running shoes
( ) Orthotics (if you need them)
( ) Running shirt/singlet
( ) Running shorts/pants
( ) Running socks
( ) Number belt
( ) Fuel/water belt
( ) Sunglasses

Post race & other items to consider

( ) Comfortable clothes AND shoes for after the race
( ) Sunscreen
( ) Extra water to rehydrate
( ) Post race food/drink
( ) Toilet paper
( ) Spare goggles, glasses, contacts, socks, etc.
( ) Magic marker
( ) Camera
( ) Film
( ) Cell phone and charger

2008-01-22 9:01 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

A great video for practicing your flip-turns in the pool:

For an excellent lesson on flip turns from D3 Multisport, with video demonstration, click here!

2008-01-22 9:31 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Here are some notes from a TRANSITION Clinic for Beginners that I went to in 2004. Let me know if you have any questions - the only bad question is the one you didn't ask....

Danny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transition Clinic Outline

1. About the Transition
    1. Triathlon is a sport
    2. Transitions are part of the sport

i. T1 and T2

1. Speed versus Comfort
    1. How long is your event?
  2. Clothing
    1. Wetsuit
    2. Tri shorts/jersey, Tri suit, etc.
    3. If possible, wear your clothes under your wetsuit – it’s really hard to put dry clothes on a wet body at 150 bpm. [arm warmer demo]
    4. Socks = comfort, not speed (roll them on?)
  3. Transition success – be prepared!
    1. Make a checklist and use it
    2. Arrive early
    3. Affix all numbers, wrist bands, and chip straps – a mini stapler will help affix number to bike
    4. Layout your gear
    5. Check, check, and double-check your transition area
  4. Selecting your transition area
    1. Find your area (either bib number or age group)
    2. Like a sold out concert, it’s better to park near the exit than the entrance
    3. View the transition area from the swim finish and bike finish – know your landmarks. Bikes are not a landmark (they might not be there when you need them!)
    4. Respect your competitors
  5. T1 – Swim-to-bike
    1. Keep swimming until you touch bottom – twice
    2. Zip down the top of your wetsuit as soon as you exit the water (while running to transition, if possible)
    3. Take off swim cap and goggles as you run to transition
    4. Find your space!
    5. Wetsuit off
    6. Glasses on (optional)
    7. Helmet on
    8. Dry feet and socks on (if applicable)
    9. Bike shoes on (if not attached to bike)
    10. Unrack bike and proceed to bike mount line
    11. Mount bike and enjoy the ride!
  6. T2 – Bike-to-Run
    1. At 200 meters, remove feet from shoes (optional – PRACTICE this before trying it in a race!)
    2. Dismount bike at dismount line
    3. Run with bike to transition space
    4. Rack bike
    5. Helmet off
    6. Glasses off (optional)
    7. Bike shoes off (if not removed prior to dismount)
    8. Run shoes on
    9. Bring drink and/or race belt with you as you run out of transition
    10. Enjoy the run!
  7. Specific equipment to improve your transition experience
    1. Elastic laces
    2. Triathlon-specific bike shoes (you can run in mountain bike shoes, but they are heavier; avoid 3-strap shoes or ratchet systems)
    3. Triathlon bag or BIG backpack
  8. Additional tips
    1. Don’t bring a geeky balloon, but feel free to use someone else’s
    2. Having a personal water bucket is probably not worth the trouble
    3. Keep your gear together mid-race – especially your wetsuit, glasses, etc. (mandatory for races like LA Triathlon)
    4. Make sure your bike tires are inflated and your bike is in gear before the race (Important for Carlsbad Triathlon and Wildflower). If you plan on using a bike computer, reset it before the race starts.
    5. Eat/drink while on the move – there are no sit-down meals in triathlon

Edited by dhyte 2008-01-22 9:32 PM
2008-01-23 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1170936

Florida
dhyte - 2008-01-22 10:01 PM

For an excellent lesson on flip turns from D3 Multisport, with video demonstration, click here!

Danny,
Do you suggest using flip turns during the swim workouts? I usually skip them since I figure in a open water swim I won't need them. But are they beneficial for improving the workouts?
2008-01-23 10:00 PM
in reply to: #1170936

Let me learn how to swim properly first, then I'll work on the flip turns since I still look like shamu the killer whale when I swim hahahahaha but hey, i'm getting there...

dhyte - 2008-01-22 9:01 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  

of 14