BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-01-19 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1165400

Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- OPEN!
nevergivin - 2008-01-19 8:05 AM

Huge setback on my planned run last night. Monday run was tough, Wednesday's run was very difficult on my joints and cut short, last night was impossible and walked off the track. I am starting to doubt if I will ever get this running thing, so now I am going to Ice all weekend and start out slowly again. Mistakes made most recently include, not stretching, changing shoes, too many runs on track, ten pound weight gain from off season( as of this week I have lost all ten plus two). There was a 2 month period during Dec and November when I ran and my knees did not get sore and I felt like something clicked, now its back to the same thing I had to go thru last season, sore tendons in hips and sore knees on the inside middle part(both knees). I have been told by the last run coach that I am an under pronator(supinator) I am wondering if I should be looking into orthotics.

I think I need more friendly runner advice from you guys!

I would like to help if I can. I need more background though.

In your first post you said you would like to loose twenty lbs. How much do you weigh? So At this point if you still need to loose eight what would your weight be then. I know from experience extra weight can be a big drag on the feet. I notice five extra pounds and I feel it adds to the pounding the body takes. See if you can take off the weight by riding instead.

If you have increased your distance more than 10% a week back off. Ron mentioned this, it is important.

I say Forget the custom footbeds for now. Make sure you are a MID FOOT STRIKER, if you have not heard that term I say get your running coach to show you before you run another step. OR when you go to Wildflower watch the HIM distance runners they mostly have excellent running form and they are pretty much the same, then compare them to the OLY distance runners, their running styles are all over the place...mostly bad.

I wasted more money on running shoes, I'll take them all to the TRACK (best running surface, just like Ron says) and run in them all. but I found the best fit money can buy. And I KNOW my shoes are not the problem. Once I found The shoe I buy two or three pairs. There is nothing better, I my book for your body than a new pair of shoes no custom footbeds needed unless your feet are wacked out then I say duathlon. I find running hills up and down messes with me a bunch, I think it puts more stress on my legs so I like the track for that reason. When I see the running course description for a race I want to do then I adjust what hills I need to train for. Wildflower is probably my least favorite run course.

After I do a hard run I get in a cold water bath and soak my leg for no more than 12 minutes. AND I use a foam roller and roll my legs on that everyday..

This is my 2 cents

Good luck

Edited by dtb 2008-01-19 10:32 PM

2008-01-20 2:00 AM
in reply to: #1106642

I'm down to join up with the group if you'll so allow. Same place you are in life - young enough to still enjoy the sport but old enough that if I do nothing I'll be dead of heart issues in 20 years. Life behind a desk, stressful work, kids, and yummy food... Gotta do something so I can be around in 50 years and see my great grand kids. Also... I love competition! Thanks in advance.

Eric Stevens
2008-01-20 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1166126

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

eric73 - 2008-01-20 12:00 AM I'm down to join up with the group if you'll so allow. Same place you are in life - young enough to still enjoy the sport but old enough that if I do nothing I'll be dead of heart issues in 20 years. Life behind a desk, stressful work, kids, and yummy food... Gotta do something so I can be around in 50 years and see my great grand kids. Also... I love competition! Thanks in advance. Eric Stevens

Okay, Eric, welcome aboard! 

2008-01-20 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Ahoy, crew!  This is your Cap'n speaking...

Here's how I see our merry crew shaping up:

Active Mentees
nevergivein (Stuart)
holt1997 (Scott Holt)
TysDad (Scott Restoni)
dtb (Scott Brown

Recently Joined Mentees
eric73 (Eric Stevens)
Faeron (Faeron)

Inactive Mentees
tonyladd (Tony)
Layne44 (Jim Meador)
TriForLife67 (Laura H)
fooddestroyer (Norm)
matthewmac (Norm)
JHagerman (Jeremy)

Mentor Contributors
Donto
TriAya

So, that's 4 "active" mentees, 2 recently joined (unknown activeness), and 6 "inactive" mentees, plus 2 mentor contributors.

I think we'll keep the group "Open" until we have about 6-8 "active mentees", at which time it'll be time to "Close" the group.  Agreed?

Any/all feedback appreciated!

2008-01-20 12:30 PM

Subject: # of members in your group
Hi Ron,

That is up to you, See how it goes, if you get a good group maybe you can charge $. This is an expensive sport

ha ha

Scott
2008-01-20 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hi Ron,
Whatever works. I am really enjoying the different threads and topics. This discussion has been helpful and encouraging. (I wish we could figure out a way to do a race all together.) Thanks for your feedback and advice.

2008-01-20 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1166430

Scott

thats what I wanted to hear, I think a race together would be great.

How about Wildflower, you come from E'Berg to Bend and I'll drive to San Fran then down to PASO.

How About that Scott
2008-01-20 5:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I honestly would be up for it. Tell me more about wildflower. Maybe I'll just look it up.
Scott H
2008-01-20 5:40 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Nice day for a bike ride out by me, I can't get over how much better it is to ride in aero on my Specialized Allez even in a strong headwind! I tried to keep my heart rate in high zone 2 and when I would go over 19 mph my Polar would start beeping to slow it down. What I really like about HR training on my bike is It lets me know when to back off,downshift, upshift, and focus on my breathing. I finally had a chance to try out my Infinit drink mix, I drank two 10oz bottles in 1 1/2 hour bike and felt and tasted good, it may have been overkill but honestly I felt awesome when I finished today, almost as if I didn't ride 25 miles. I could have gone further but I'm bieng careful because of my lousy runs. I did have a nasty spill about 3/4 way, about a 9.3(of 10). I pulled up at railroad tracks while going about 20-21mph and landed right in another grove. My bike slid out sideways under me and landed full weight on my elbow and head. All is good but lots of scratches and scrapes on bike, lots of scrapes on me. I hope tommorow is a better training day!

Scott B.- I am at 194 Lbs 16% bf, I would like to be at 175. I turn 42 this year and it seems like weight is becoming a real issue the more training I do, it sure is not helping my run. I eat 150-195 grams protien a day,5-6 meals with lots of fruits and vegetables and only drink tea and water. My weight goes up and down, most days I sit at a desk which does not do much for my metabolism. What I do know is that the more running I do the more weight I lose. Its like a catch 22 for me!

2008-01-20 5:44 PM

HI There,

www.tricalfornia.com then look up the wildflower. It is held in May

It is the woodstock of triathlons, so they say.

It is held at a county park, which has camping. Swim in a clear and clean reservior bike and run over hills.

Weather is warm to hot. Good camping with hot showers. Music, Food, and Expo

Scott
2008-01-20 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I looked it up, It 1004 miles and 17 1/2 hours away. My wife already said no but I will continue to talk to her about it. I love adventures (obviously or I wouldn't try a triathlon) and it would be fun. Does it fill up fast?

2008-01-20 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hey Ron,
I saw on your profile that you like to shoot guns (probably hence your name as well) what kind? I have a little collection as well and love to plink.
Scott H
2008-01-20 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1166697

Subject: WIldflower
Hi,

Sometimes it fills up fast, HIM does not fill as fast naturally. We should have some time to decide, the cost of fuel will cut the crowd somewhat.

It would be two days for you for sure. I drove from there in 12 hours. Its a pretty easy drive from here, just long.

It may be better to look for something closer. But I still recommend it for the "to do list."
2008-01-20 8:09 PM
in reply to: #1166706

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-20 3:54 PM Hey Ron, I saw on your profile that you like to shoot guns (probably hence your name as well) what kind? I have a little collection as well and love to plink. Scott H

[Off-Topic] Well, I was an avid wingshooter and boar hunter for years.  Did most of my pheasant hunting in a club in Fairfield, and duck hunting in the Central Valley.  I also shot my share of IDPA and 3-Gun competitions, with a High Power match once in a while.

I had quite a firearms collection for a while--if it shot bullets, I collected it.  I started with my over-unders, then Benelli's, then handguns (semi-auto's and revolvers), and then the "tactical stuff" (mostly for IDPA and 3-Gun), and in the latter days of my collecting the SASS/Cowboy-type stuff.

But getting married and having 2 girls meant my collection had become an expendable luxury.  I basically kept only my small collection of 1911's and Glocks, a few shotties (Parkers and Browning O/U's), my Remington 700 in .308, and a few C&R's (my 11/45 H
&R Garand, and my pristine Springfield M1903A--both from the CMP). 

Everything else was sold, including my Dillon 550B reloader and all the dies about 5-6 years back to finance everything from home-impovements, to riding lessons for the girls, to my tri gear.

I haven't shot much in the last few years...with the exception of some casual plinking at my buddy's ranch in Lockwood (near Lake San Antonio and the Wildflower race site) .  I haven't shot any competitions at all, and don't even know if I'm still qualified as a range-officer at any of my clubs (which I still pay dues, but haven't been at in years).

One thing I've really wanted to try is my Gun Club-sponsored Summer Biathlon...where you run laps in place of XC-skiing them.  So, I'm keeping my eye out for a deal on a used Anschutz .22 target rifle.  I think it would be a hoot to combine two of my now favorite things--shooting sports and fitness.

Everything, btw, is very much secured in a large alarmed safe--with the exception of a few strategically located Glocks in quick-access (but child/theft-safe) GunVaults in the house.  We had a babysitter who worked for us for 2 years and never knew there was a firearm in the house.

Both my girls, 5 and 8, have grown up around firearms.  They both know and respect the danger inherent in them.  They are both indoctrinated with the Eddie the Eagle gun safety program (Stop! Don't Touch! Leave the Area! Tell an Adult!), and my 8-y/o is about ready to start with BB/pellet guns.

My wife's family grew up in rural So. Cal. and came from a hunting family, as her grandfather raised championship Brittany's.  One side of her family also has a number of LEO's.  So, my wife, too, was raised around firearms.

So, that's my more-than-you-wanted to know explanation of my BT username...[/Off-Topic] 

2008-01-21 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1166559

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
dtb - 2008-01-20 1:31 PM

Scott

thats what I wanted to hear, I think a race together would be great.

How about Wildflower, you come from E'Berg to Bend and I'll drive to San Fran then down to PASO.

How About that Scott

I looked up the site and gave this some thought. I am actually excited about this except for one thing...it would be my very first tri. I think it would be better to break into this a little slower and maybe in familiar territory. If we keep in touch and want to next year though I will be there. It would be a blast.
2008-01-21 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1168031

Subject: Summer race
Hi Holt 1997

What Race would you like to do in the Northwest. It would be easy if you could train on the course you would be racing the first time.

Scott

2008-01-21 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1168702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Summer race
I actually have my race schedule posted on my page here @ BT. Check it out and if you see any you want to join with me on let me know. I am trying to do one a month starting in March and ending in October. I am still working up my training plan but this is what I am gearing towards. I am definately short term goal oriented, at least they help in reaching a bigger goal that is farther out.
2008-01-21 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1149068

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- Closed (for now), thanks!
guncollector - 2008-01-10 4:24 PM

I will also work on swim lessons. My wife was a swimmer at the national level in the mile but with four kids it is hard to get in the pool at the same time. Thanks again for all your help.

She doesn't need to attend every swim session.  Just once in a while to examine your form and give you feedback.  You'll be amazed what a few pointers can do.  Swimming is all about technique.

Hi Ron,
The swimming lessons helped. I had one lesson and took almost 6 minutes off of my 1000 meter time, which still isn't a great time but its improving and I have plenty of time to improve (Isn't it still January?) Thanks again for the help.
Scott H.
2008-01-21 11:00 PM
in reply to: #1168702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
dtb - 2008-01-21 5:01 PM

Hi Holt 1997

What Race would you like to do in the Northwest. It would be easy if you could train on the course you would be racing the first time.

Scott

Hi Scott,
Youre from Bend OR right? Is there anything in the middle say Portlandish? Just a thought.
Scott H.
2008-01-22 6:30 AM
in reply to: #1169018

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-21 9:00 PM
dtb - 2008-01-21 5:01 PM Hi Holt 1997 What Race would you like to do in the Northwest. It would be easy if you could train on the course you would be racing the first time. Scott
Hi Scott, Youre from Bend OR right? Is there anything in the middle say Portlandish? Just a thought. Scott H.

Hey, my sis-in-law's family is all from Bend, OR.  Was there for her wedding in July '06.  Beautiful country. 

2008-01-22 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1169124

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
guncollector - 2008-01-22 4:30 AM

Hey, my sis-in-law's family is all from Bend, OR.  Was there for her wedding in July '06.  Beautiful country. 

I used to live in Antelope, just north of Bend. I love that country. Sounds like we all should meet in Oregon. Isn't there a race around Mt Bachelor?
Scott H.

Edited by holt1997 2008-01-22 8:54 AM

2008-01-22 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1166311

User image

Master
Small Town
Hi All,

After a long week (my mother passed away Thursday). I should be getting back into my training and checking in here, hopefully with something to contribute.

Thank you all for your prayers and uplifting messages.

I'm excited to get back into training. I still do not have access to a pool, but I'm looking into my options.
2008-01-22 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1170114

Subject: Sorry to hear of you lost your mother
Jeremy,

I sure am sorry to hear that news. She went fast and I guess that ended any suffering she was going through fast.

Again, So Sorry
2008-01-22 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

"Unless you test yourself, you stagnate.  Unless you try to go way beyond what you've been able to do before, you won't develop and grow.  When you go for it 100%, when you don't have the fear of "what if I fail", that's when you learn.  That's when you're really living.--Mark Allen, world champion triathlete

Why did I post this?  I dunno.  I just came across it (again) while referencing Chapter 1 of Going Long (by Joel Friel & Gordon Byrn) the other day.

The funny thing is, I've read this quote at least a half dozen times...cause I've read the first chapter of this book at least that many times.  But, somehow, this time I understood what Mark was saying...it really hit home.

Its just so very true.  When you push out against your own mental and physical limitations and expand the boundaries...you're like...really livin'...just like Mark says.

Just keep that in mind, gang, when you're out there training.  Push the limits, don't stagnate.  Improve.  Grow.  Live.

2008-01-23 10:22 AM

Subject: Victoriuos
Hi Guys,

Ron I was victorious this morning. I woke up at 5 AM, others were already getting in the pool and I was still in bed. I was not motivated to get up so I just laid there awhile waiting to fall back into sleep. Well while I was awake I remembered reading your post about getting up even when you do not want to, and that alone making one victorious.

And when I remembered that I JUMPED OUT OF BED AND DROVE MYSELF TO THE POOL.

Thanks

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15