BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-06 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

Okay Guys, I need help with some traing / work scheduling. So here's a chance to hone your organizational skills...

When I am at the Fire Dept. the only training I can do is run. When I am on duty at the EMS I really can't train at all.

Here is the work Schedule.

Monday: 24 hours at FD. ( 0700-0700)

Tuesday: 12 hour pm shift at EMS. (1800-0600)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 24 Hours at FD ( 0700-0700)

Friday: Off

Saturday: Off

Sunday:24 Hours at Fire Dept ( 0700-0700)

So these are the days / times I will be available to train (other than run at the fd.)

Tuesday: 0800-1600

Wed: 0800-1500 ( I have to pick up son at day care)

Friday 0800-1500)

Saturday 0600-1230

Week Two Of 13 BT Sprint TRi Training Program:

Mon: Swim 20 minutes

Tues: Off

Wed: Bike 35 minutes

Thurs: Run 20 minutes

Fri: Swim 30 minutes

Sat: Off

Sun: bike 45 minutes.

I don't mind having to double up on some days if needed.

The pool hours are:

Monday- Friday 6:00 am-0800 am

Monday-Friday 11:00 am -1:00 pm

Mon / Wed / Thur / Fri 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm.

Please help me re-arrange my training schedule to fit around my work schedule, so I get the same amount of training as is on the schedule. I have figured out a shedule, but would like to see if anyone can come up with a better one.

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-06 12:19 PM

2008-01-06 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1137094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Capt.

Before my duty day I get to the YMCA before work. It seems to get my day started off correctly, and keeps me on schedule with my training. The Y that I go to opens up at 5am, however my shift doesnt start until 0800. If you can get to the gym/YMCA before work, I would swim before work and then run when the duty day is over.

And then I go back to YMCA right from work. That way I get my workout complete, and have the rest of the day available to do what I please.

At a previous fire staion, we were able to walk, run, or bike around the block that contained our police and fire station. If your set up is anything like that, then maybe try peddling around the block. When I ride my bike at work, I clip the radio to the water bottle cage. A may not be a nice country side stroll, but its time in the saddle.

Not sure if this helped, but a few of my thoughts.

Curt
ditchdoc - 2008-01-06 1:09 PM

Okay Guys, I need help with some traing / work scheduling. So here's a chance to hone your organizational skills...

When I am at the Fire Dept. the only training I can do is run. When I am on duty at the EMS I really can't train at all.

Here is the work Schedule.

Monday: 24 hours at FD. ( 0700-0700)

Tuesday: 12 hour pm shift at EMS. (1800-0600)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 24 Hours at FD ( 0700-0700)

Friday: Off

Saturday: Off

Sunday:24 Hours at Fire Dept ( 0700-0700)

So these are the days / times I will be available to train (other than run at the fd.)

Tuesday: 0800-1600

Wed: 0800-1500 ( I have to pick up son at day care)

Friday 0800-1500)

Saturday 0600-1230

Week Two Of 13 BT Sprint TRi Training Program:

Mon: Swim 20 minutes

Tues: Off

Thurs: Run 20 minutes

Fri: Swim 30 minutes

Sat: Off

Sun: bike 45 minutes.

I don't mind having to double up on some days if needed.

The pool hours are:

Monday- Friday 6:00 am-0800 am

Monday-Friday 11:00 am -1:00 pm

Mon / Wed / Thur / Fri 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm.

Please help me re-arrange my training schedule to fit around my work schedule, so I get the same amount of training as is on the schedule. I have figured out a shedule, but would like to see if anyone can come up with a better one.

2008-01-06 5:27 PM
in reply to: #1137416

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

That sounds great, but the pool I go opens at 0530 and my shfit starts at 0700. I could prolly swing a 30-40 minute swim, but it would be cutting it close. So far I have been doing the swim the day after duty, at lunch time. My staion sits ona major four lane hi-way, no way I could bike. Now if I could stationed back at station 9....hmmmm.

2008-01-06 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1137452

User image

Extreme Veteran
uh oh..Looks like I have you thinking.

My vote is that a 30-40 min swim is better than nothing. Also it might be worth asking the pool people if by chance they show up a few minutes early, and would allow you to show up early so you can get to work.

Once again, just me thinking out loud
ditchdoc - 2008-01-06 6:27 PM

That sounds great, but the pool I go opens at 0530 and my shfit starts at 0700. I could prolly swing a 30-40 minute swim, but it would be cutting it close. So far I have been doing the swim the day after duty, at lunch time. My staion sits ona major four lane hi-way, no way I could bike. Now if I could stationed back at station 9....hmmmm.

2008-01-06 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1137535

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
mifiremedic - 2008-01-06 6:14 PM uh oh..Looks like I have you thinking. My vote is that a 30-40 min swim is better than nothing. Also it might be worth asking the pool people if by chance they show up a few minutes early, and would allow you to show up early so you can get to work. Once again, just me thinking out loud
ditchdoc - 2008-01-06 6:27 PM

Yea...and thinking for me is a very dangerous thing. Remember when you get that second bugle, they remove 1/2 your brain . The gym that the pool is in, is owned and operated by the City. ( Pretty nice set up though. anyway, they just started opening at 0530 instead of 0600. So I really don't want to push the issue. Plus I get to use it for free with my city ID card.

I think for next week ( starting tommorow) Im gonna foloow this:

Mon: (Duty Day) Run 20 minutes

Tue: Swim 20

Thur. (Duty) Off / Cross Train, stretch.

Fri: Swim 35

Sat: Bike 45

Sun: Run 20.

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-06 6:54 PM
2008-01-06 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1135618

User image

Veteran

Getting in the pool??? That's a scary thought for me. Tomorrow I start my program (been running and some biking for the last 2 months but nothing organized) so it's the first day in the pool for me. Went to get some new goggles and couldn't find them and literally was disappointed when they showed me where they were as I thought as was going to be off the hook until I got some ordered. I know...need to change my attitude...so I'm working on that but being the inefficient swimmer that I am it is very intimidating....same reason I didn't make it to the tri the last time I started this process. Envious of all you on here that are former competitive swimmers, former rescue swimmers, etc. Any advice for me will be appreciated. Still hoping to hear back from a swim instructor in MPLS that teaches the Total Immersion but so far no response.

I need to get over this because I purposely told people I was going to do this triathlon this summer as I new I wouldn't be able to back out!

2008-01-06 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
The only way to get over the swim issue is to get into the pool. I know that sounds simplistic...but it is true. I felt the same as you do only my issue was running. I literally run at the pace that most people walk. I finally just had to get over myself and began huffing and puffing right along side the walkers.

Can you break it down... what is the most significant issue that keeps you out of the water? Like anything else...it takes time and persistance to build comfort and endurance. Trust me... I still fight with running.

On a side note: As far as the work schedule... I got winded just reading your schedule... the plan that you have sounds good to me...start with that and then adjust. Don't discount 30 minutes in the pool... that is time!

Now...if I can figure out how to actually get moving in the morning myself...half my battles would be won!

Elizabeth
2008-01-06 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1137594

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am by no means a good swimmer, but when I am training, I am always working on getting better. Just under a year ago, I was about 282, and couldnt swim (lap swimming). I bought two books on how to swim for triathlons. One of them being the Total Immersion book. I found it really helpful, and learned alot from them. Also, someone sent me a copy of the Total Immersion DVD. It showed me what I should be doing vs. reading what I'm suppose to be doing.

This may sound funny, but I learned also from watching those veteran swimmers in the pool the same time as myself. Usually the same time that I'm swimming, there are some ladies from the Masters swim team, and I watch there technique, and try to replicate it.

However, I feel as though Ive hit a wall, and cant seem to get any more distance. Summer the Summer I would swim between 1200 - 1500 yards in a session, but could never get further. So I think I will be taking advantage of swim instruction put on by the Triathlon club Im a member of.

Above is a lot of rambling, but I guess what Im trying to say is just get in the water, and pretend like your swimming. Maybe not pretend, but start getting comfortable in the water. Maybe you will be lucky enough to be swimming next to someone who will give you some pointers.

Just a few thoughts

Curt
aber4 - 2008-01-06 7:34 PM

Getting in the pool??? That's a scary thought for me. Tomorrow I start my program (been running and some biking for the last 2 months but nothing organized) so it's the first day in the pool for me. Went to get some new goggles and couldn't find them and literally was disappointed when they showed me where they were as I thought as was going to be off the hook until I got some ordered. I know...need to change my attitude...so I'm working on that but being the inefficient swimmer that I am it is very intimidating....same reason I didn't make it to the tri the last time I started this process. Envious of all you on here that are former competitive swimmers, former rescue swimmers, etc. Any advice for me will be appreciated. Still hoping to hear back from a swim instructor in MPLS that teaches the Total Immersion but so far no response.

I need to get over this because I purposely told people I was going to do this triathlon this summer as I new I wouldn't be able to back out!
2008-01-06 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1137594

User image

Master

aber4 - 2008-01-06 6:34 PM Getting in the pool??? That's a scary thought for me. 

Ever think of trying your local Masters swim club?  That is what I am going to do here.  Yes, most of the people will probably be faster than you, but I bet you would improve greatly in a short amount of time!!! 

Try this link, hope it helps.

http://www.usms.org/placswim/placswimform.php?LMSCID=54

2008-01-06 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1137648

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Aber, Like AZEliabeth said, the best way to deal with the pool issues, is to get in the pool. If the TI instructor does not get back with you, just find a good swim coach. You need to be in the pool as much as time will allow you. Remember, we spent our first 9 months floating around.

AZ, yea it's a pretty hectic schedule. Add to it that my wife is an E/R nurse, and we have a 23 month old...it gets a little crazy sometimes. Thank God for grandmothers and Day Care. LOL. 

Being late for work is an immortal sin in the Fire Dept. I am not discounting the 30 minutes in the pool, I am just wondering how fast I can complete that transition area form pool to in uniform at the station.

2008-01-06 7:28 PM

Veteran
Hey Everyone!

I'm at the point where I need to invest in a set of Aero bars. I'm obviously a poor college student, so I can't blow my paycheck on them, but I also don't want a really cheap set that won't last. Anyone got any suggestions?

As for people with pool issues, if you need drills or ways on improving technique and can't get to a master swimmer's meeting...I'm a swim instructor, so I can give you some drills until you can find a better source!

One more thing...I have some female related questions as far as half iron attire/bathroom procedure.. do we wear bikini bottoms under trishorts.. or just go commando? and two...what are the bathroom procedures for each leg of the half iron?...guys have it so much easier in this aspect..

2008-01-06 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1137705

User image

Veteran
Sarah, I'll take whatever you can give me for drills. I'm not too optimistic on the TI guy getting back to me at this point. As far as joining the local Masters, I live in a small town in rural SD...not much of that around here. Swim instructors...especially of any quality are impossible to find around here, which is why I was willing to drive 4 hours to spend time with one. Even to ask for advice from others in the pool, I would guess when I go to the pool tomorrow morning I'll have all 8 lanes to myself...that's a good thing for some...not when you're looking for some advice.

It isn't that I can't swim at all or have any fear of the water, as I live on a lake (not real useful in January) and spend most of the summer in it swimming and skiing just not any real distance.

Thanks for the offer Sarah!
2008-01-07 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1137828

User image

Expert

Everyone welcome Robyn to Michigan!! I am sure she will now be ready to give untold wisdom to her 1,000 member mentor group

Could had a gator in the trailer......

2008-01-07 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Ok guys:
I need some harassment. Day two with no workout. I didn't even take the time to do my core set. I did totally redo my closet including construction of organizer/drawer system (IKEA!!) and reorganize and clean out 2 large leaf bags full of old clothes out to take to Goodwill. I really wasn't laying on the couch eating bonbons.

I'm back at work so I have access to the pool again and am going to go swimming TODAY! I bought some fins (not here yet) so that I can work on the drills I learned in swimming lessons (based on TI) I think that a DVD is a good idea for me too. It will help to refresh my memory on the drills.

Hey Curt,
Can you pass on the name of the DVD you used? Does anyone use the drill cards? And.....I keep losing track of how many laps I've done. The pool I swim in is a 25m pool so I count a lap up and down as one lap (50m) I keep forgetting where I am. Any ideas that don't cost a fortune?

I hope everyone has a great week!
Kudos to Torsten on fixing the links.
2008-01-07 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1138456

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happy Monday..

I use the small tiles that are on the edge of most pools. I move my water bottle over a tile for each 50 yards. If I swim so many laps I have exceeded my arms reach, I will start over again from waters edge. I know my way is low tech, but it works for me.

I have seen a older guy put a clip or something in between bouy on the lane dividers. I dont know how many laps equal a bouy, but it seems to work for him.

Just a few thoughts, hope they help

Curt
denny.l - 2008-01-07 10:16 AM

Hey Curt,
Can you pass on the name of the DVD you used? Does anyone use the drill cards? And.....I keep losing track of how many laps I've done. The pool I swim in is a 25m pool so I count a lap up and down as one lap (50m) I keep forgetting where I am. Any ideas that don't cost a fortune?

I hope everyone has a great week!
Kudos to Torsten on fixing the links.
2008-01-07 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Just in case anyone was worried about me...I didn't drown this morning in my first pool workout...felt like i was a couple times....looked like a snowplow i'm sure (not a good analogy for those of you from the south.)

Tried to do some of the balance exercises that are on this site...swimming rolled up on the side...but it's so hard to tell if it's being done the right way because I don't how it's supposed to feel.

Difficulty keeping track of your laps??? That sounds like a good problem! I counted each painful one all the way down...and there wasn't all that many of them.

Definitely an ego buster. Work on the running and biking enough to start getting comfortable and feeling like I'm getting back and shape. One morning in the pool knocks any of that thought out of me.

• ..anyways I survived day 1...can't wait for the next one!

• 2008-01-07 12:34 PM
    in reply to: #1138707

User image

Master
    Dothan, Al

aber4 - 2008-01-07 10:27 AM 1.Just in case anyone was worried about me...I didn't drown this morning in my first pool workout...felt like i was a couple times...

2.looked like a snowplow i'm sure (not a good analogy for those of you from the south.) Tried to do some of the balance exercises that are on this site...

3.swimming rolled up on the side...but it's so hard to tell if it's being done the right way because I don't how it's supposed to feel.

4.Difficulty keeping track of your laps??? That sounds like a good problem! I counted each painful one all the way down...and there wasn't all that many of them.

5.Definitely an ego buster. Work on the running and biking enough to start getting comfortable and feeling like I'm getting back and shape.

6.One morning in the pool knocks any of that thought out of me. ...anyways I survived day 1...can't wait for the next one!

1. I actually did think about your first trip to the pool this am. Glad to here you are still with us.

2. I ahve seen a snow plow on TV...once.

3. I concurr.

4. I am from Alabama, and a product of the public school system. The best thing about counting laps while swimming is... I already have my shoes off, so it's easier to count past ten  (using my toes)

5. That's because you ARE getting back in shape.

6. See, you survived, probably was not near as bad as you were thinking it  was gonna be. Aber, I think your mental block about swimming maybe your biggest thing setting you back. We ALL have our weak spots in Triathalons. Even the Elites have their weak area's. Heck my weak area is my swim/bike/run. But I am gonna give hell in T-1 and T-2. Know why? Because I am a firefighter, that means I have to be fully dressed and out the door in 45 seconds day time and 60 seconds at night!  I will spank their butt's in transitions!!! When I run I am lucky to break a 10 minute mile. Yesterday was my first time on a bike in 25 years. Swimming???? Guess what... as a former Rescue Swimmer I really don't care to swim. I prolly have not swam more than 100 yard total since I got out of the Coast Guard in '92. See once you do something for a living for a while, well it kind of loses it's luster as a "fun time" activity. Know what else??? I have realized over the past couple of weeks that I maybe a "strong" swimmer, but I am not a very "effcient" swimmer. Have you ever heard the old saying, " Work Smart Not Hard"? Well, I probably work a whole lot harder than I do smart.  So hang in there, look forward to your pool visits and know that you are not in it alone, even if we can only be there in spirit. 

Hey here's an idea...Maybe you can get the Total Immersion DVD, and then have someone video you while you swim. Compare what you are doing now, with what TI is trying to teach you to do. I dunno...maybe ???

2008-01-07 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
    San Antonio
    Hey Alan,

You are doing great! All you had to do today was get in the water.
    I had so much fear of the swimming that it really caused me major angst! A friend invited me to do a sprint with only 2 months to train and I refused because of the swim and I hadn't even been in the pool. The first time I went to the pool last year I cried when I got to the locker room. I couldn't swim the length of the 25 meter pool without feeling panicked because I couldn't get my breath. The lifeguard took mercy on me and gave me tips about emptying my lungs (I think I was holding my breath) and keeping the top of my head in the water. A woman I work with came and helped me a few times. I just kept going back. I swam more than anything else sometimes 3 days a week and ran maybe once and biked once. I worked at it for 5 months and then did the Danskin in Austin last year. Keep working at it. After I finally figured out how to relax I could swim laps in the pool and do more than just flounder. I started to really like swimming. Then came the open water...yikes. I think it is a totally different sport. I went back to the floundering. I did my open water swim on my side...back and felt like crying when I got out of the lake. I was really mad and felt like all of the progress I made in the pool was for nothing. It was the inability to relax all over again. I hadn't been to swim in open water at all before the tri. I'm working on learning to sight without interrupting my rhythm. The good part is I had a goal to swim each 100m under 4 minutes and despite the fear and trauma-I swam each in 3.9!
    I took lessons this fall, a total immersion program, but the lessons were in a group. I learned some basic drills. If I had it to do again, I would take some private lessons.
    Let me know if you find a coach and if it helps you. I'm ordering the DVD and the book.

Thanks for the lap counting ideas Curt.

Les
    2008-01-07 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
    Russell, KS

When I am at the Fire Dept. the only training I can do is run. When I am on duty at the EMS I really can't train at all.

Wrong wrong wrong. If you have a lot of "wait" time at the "hurry up and wait" jobs you have, you can do the following:

WEIGHTS: You can purchase some cheap-o bands and do weight exercises in your down time at both jobs. they are light weight and can be taken anywhere. Strengthen those ligaments so when you do work the muscles for real you don't injure yourself.

STRETCH: Take time to stretch every day. The more limber you are, the less likely you will injure yourself and have down time.

CORE EXERCISES: to build up the core muscles which help you when you swim. You can find them at a great article here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

READ:
    Get yourself the "Total Immersion" swimming book and read. Many of the forms can be practiced on the floor without water.

VISUALIZE:
    If you have downtime, visualize yourself running strong, swimming a perfect form, and cycling without hurting. Really get into the moment IN YOUR HEAD. Olympic athletes do it because the brain doesn't know the difference if you're actually doing the event or just "doing it in your brain." It's been proven to make you more efficient and better.

All of this is "training". Good luck!

2008-01-07 2:06 PM
    in reply to: #1137828

Veteran
    Hey Alan,

As you know swimming is a lot different than the other two legs of the tri since you actively use your arms a lot more. It's really important to find a structure to your swim workouts so you don't waste time in the pool thinking of what to do next. You should keep in mind the length of the main set to determine the amount of warm up and cool down laps you need as well.

For warm ups, its a good idea to use kickboards, fins, pull floats, and hand paddles. When using kick boards and fins, concentrate on keeping your ankles flexible and loose. With pull floats, concentrate on proper arm motion, high elbow (during recovery too!), shoulder rotation, and use your core to keep your legs straight behind you. With paddles, concentrate on the feeling of your entire arm being one big paddle! Any time you breath with the pull float or the paddles, concentrate on your head following your shoulder rotation to smoothly exit and enter the water (dont pick your head up). As you can see, warm ups are for high concentration on technique being smooth, relaxed, and fluid. concentrate on each arm rotation being complete and full as you follow through. Never stop moving your arms. They should constantly be opposite each other.

For the main set, concentrate on pace and endurance. Obviously a majority of race swimming is free-style/front crawl, so don't get skimpy on the amount of laps you do with that, however training your muscles with other strokes is vital to everyone. Breast stroke is the second most common stroke during races, so also work on making that efficient. Use the elementary back stroke, back stroke, and side stroke as active recovery strokes...meaning if you get a little tired..try not to stop. Do one of those strokes that will allow you to regulate your breathing. During the set, breath is just as important as technique! If you don't let out all your air when your face is in the water, or take in a full breath when you have the chance, you will get tired a lot faster.

For cool down.. do it gradually. From freestyle go to back stroke, then breast stroke, then side stroke, then elementary back stroke.

2008-01-07 2:53 PM
    in reply to: #1122245

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - OPEN

mifiremedic - 2007-12-29 6:01 PM ...I think I need some professional help.... 

Heh.. we all do, dear.  We all do.

(did anyone else think this was hilarious when they read it?)

2008-01-07 3:00 PM
    in reply to: #1123620

User image

ny15298 - 2007-12-30 10:23 PM Can I join your group? Hopefully you still have room. I am 51 and attempted to do a sprint earlier this year. I am not a swimmer and have a great fear of the water. I ended up floating and walking my swim portion. I have 2 bad knees and had to put braces on both knees before the bike portion. I am not a runner so it ended up taking me just under 2 hours to complete. My wife is a strong swimmer but I can use all the help I can.

Glad to have you and congrats, Triathlete, on your finish!  How is the swim coming along?  The best advice I can give you is to SWIM LOTS!  And I mean lots... especially for someone with bad joints.  Its very low impact and a great cardio workout.... you'd be shocked at how much you will benefit in the other 2 sports with some good pool time!

(Disclaimer... do as I say, not as I do... I am struggling with the pool, myself. )

2008-01-07 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
    Glad you made is safely Robyn! Not sure where in Michigan you are, but I used to live in Bad Axe...loved it there and sometimes wish I hadn't left!

Thanks everyone for the swim advice...nice to have the encouragement!

Before we get warm enough up here to bike outside, I'd also like to hear some ideas on bike equipment like what to look for in shoes, pedals, and aerobars...and any other equipment. Later I'll ask about the wetsuit, etc.

Veteran
    Robyn or anyone who is up on bike dear.

I need serious help with picking out the right aero bars for my bike. I have a WDS 1000 Trek road bike with 25" wheels and the standard handlebars at the moment. Im pretty tiny..about five feet 100 pounds... my goal race is the musselman half iron this summer so i really need aero bars, but im not sure what to get. I'm a poor college student so i cant blow my pay check on it, but i'm willing to buy something above dirt cheap with high hopes that it will last. any suggestions?
    in reply to: #1124223

User image

gator22 - 2007-12-31 9:47 AM
    triOK - 2007-12-30 10:37 PM

As soon as I get our group established, I will try to set up a challenge of our own.  It seemed to work really well the last time.  Maybe we can do a challenge with the old mentor group...

Kirk:  Introduce yourself to the group... you know the drill.

OK..sorry. I am not going to take up an "official" spot in your group because I am in an other one (not very active yet though).  My name is Kirk. I am a 33 year old big fat slow guy. I have done a few races and am getting better as I go. I am registered for a 1/2 IM in June.  I am not much of a triathlete, but I do right some funny stuff some times.....

Most of my evergy is devoted to driving all over God's green earth to fetch my sons..thing one and thing two!!!!! Happy New Year everyone.....

Post away... I don't have "spots"... this is really just a COJ of my very own.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52