BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-09-29 12:05 AM
in reply to: #3704490

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

JK -

It's 1 a.m., and I'll say more later. For now, though, the bike plan sounds good........but I can get worried about you hoping to hold a 150 HR between aid stations. Believe it or not, but I have forgotten my own HR numbers and zones from years ago; it's been five or six years since I used them. But my fairly strong feeling is that 150 is a HR that I would hope to hold for an oly, maybe, but would be trouble for 13.1 miles. I will check on that, though, and see if I'm off-base on what 150 might do to me. I'm thinking it was low Zone 3 -- maybe?

More tomorrow!

2011-09-29 12:08 AM
in reply to: #3704559

User image

Champion

JK again -

Partial curiosity got the best of me, and I looked at a table which suggests that 150 might be fine for me for 13.1. I will still dig more tomorrow, however.

What do you use for a HRM, and have you established Zones that seem to work for you?

G'night!!

2011-09-29 12:18 AM
in reply to: #3704560

User image

Champion

JK once more -

Okay! In August '02 I had a detailed physilogical assessment that determined max HR and my VO2max. This was a standard test, on a treadmill hooked up to a breathing mask, and having a blood dsample taken from my fingertips every minute or two, and the treadmill speed in creased until I was one wee step from imploding.

Max HR was 180, and my Zones were set out as follows:
Z1: 127-143
Z2: 144-160
Z3: 161-165
Z4: 166-175
Z5: 176+

So, 150 is ideal for 13.1 miles and beyond. Glad I checked it!

For the last bunch of years I've been going on RPE -- Rate of Perceived Exertion. There are reasons for this, which I'll maybe say later on. Nothing profound, though.

Now, for true -- good night!!

2011-09-29 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3700944

User image

Champion

DENISE again (but eigtht hours later) -

Those are terrific run times, and it seems clear to me that you are ready for a 5km at close to the pace of this past weekend. You now know what it's like to push at that pace, and it's impressive that you were able to ride so well coming off of the first run -- and also that you were able to run well coming off the bike, too!

When I saw the overall number of racers I was wondering how the course was set up, and now I know -- crowdingly. It really is good that you were in the first wave, and you're right about how frustrating that must've been for the young speed merchants.

Do you have arm warmers? If not, get some and try them. I wasn't sure how cold I would be coming out of the water and into the Lake Erie winds last Saturday, so I had the arm warmers draped onto my aerobars -- just in case. You now have bar-end shifters, i think, so that strategy would work well for you, too. I've had a few races in which I've done that and then donned the arm warmers once I got going, although doing it is a bit tricky. It takes some practice, and it helps to position them on the aerobars so that the wide end, the upper-arm end, is closest to the shifters. That way you can kind of slide them off and slink your hand in, and then work them up using the other hand once the one you're working on is off the aerobar. Got that?

You mention a "usual" steak dinner in Brainerd. Is that a weekly thing, or just a post-race treat? Either way, it's pretty nice. Yum!

So, is that it for you for this season......or will you try to fit in just one more? If so, I can dig where you're coming from! (See below)

2011-09-29 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3704701

User image

Champion

GANG!

Likely changes to the weekend's plans --

I am registered for Bassman (international -- 0.5/29/4.2) on Sunday, in the Pine Barrens area of NJ. I just learned about a Saturday race about 40 miles north of Bassman, and will probably do that, too. I am kind of nervous about blowing too much there and not being in prime shape for Bassman.....but think it's worth the gamble.

The new race is Clam Man, and it is a sprintish thing -- eaither .4 or .5 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 3.5 mile run. The swim is in mostly-protected Barneget Bay, so I get another of my beloved saltwater swims. It is a nifty website -- www.jsmultisport.com.

I've done two Bassman races, the half (with a 58-mile bike instead of 56) in '07 and the int in '09, and have had problematic runs both times. Don't know why, as the course is almsot totally flat. Well, I have some ideas, but one is never entirely sure of the reasons behind one's triathlon run problems!

Last weekend were two distance-perfect races -- a "pure" oly on Saturday, and a "pure" sprint on Sunday. This weekend features two oddball distances, which will take some adjusting to, I think.

ANYHOW, it might be that I am away as of early tomorrow morning, and not back until Sunday evening. Just so you know!

2011-09-29 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3704721

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-09-29 8:58 AM GANG! Likely changes to the weekend's plans -- I am registered for Bassman (international -- 0.5/29/4.2) on Sunday, in the Pine Barrens area of NJ. I just learned about a Saturday race about 40 miles north of Bassman, and will probably do that, too. I am kind of nervous about blowing too much there and not being in prime shape for Bassman.....but think it's worth the gamble. The new race is Clam Man, and it is a sprintish thing -- eaither .4 or .5 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 3.5 mile run. The swim is in mostly-protected Barneget Bay, so I get another of my beloved saltwater swims. It is a nifty website -- www.jsmultisport.com. I've done two Bassman races, the half (with a 58-mile bike instead of 56) in '07 and the int in '09, and have had problematic runs both times. Don't know why, as the course is almsot totally flat. Well, I have some ideas, but one is never entirely sure of the reasons behind one's triathlon run problems! Last weekend were two distance-perfect races -- a "pure" oly on Saturday, and a "pure" sprint on Sunday. This weekend features two oddball distances, which will take some adjusting to, I think. ANYHOW, it might be that I am away as of early tomorrow morning, and not back until Sunday evening. Just so you know!

Have safe travels and good luck with the races.

2011-09-29 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3704565

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-09-29 1:18 AM JK once more - Okay! In August '02 I had a detailed physilogical assessment that determined max HR and my VO2max. This was a standard test, on a treadmill hooked up to a breathing mask, and having a blood dsample taken from my fingertips every minute or two, and the treadmill speed in creased until I was one wee step from imploding. Max HR was 180, and my Zones were set out as follows: Z1: 127-143 Z2: 144-160 Z3: 161-165 Z4: 166-175 Z5: 176+ So, 150 is ideal for 13.1 miles and beyond. Glad I checked it! For the last bunch of years I've been going on RPE -- Rate of Perceived Exertion. There are reasons for this, which I'll maybe say later on. Nothing profound, though. Now, for true -- good night!!

Steve,

I know you don't use HR/Power/Watts etc... while training/racing nowadays.  You have managed to really dial into your body's capabilities/limitations using RPE.  Looking back was doing the exercise you described above worthwhile?  I have thought about doing this but have not yet.  BTW, I assume that if they were taking blood samples were they measuring your lactate?

2011-09-29 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3705256

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Yes, very useful at the time, and something I would do all over again early in my career. I did that in Aug '02, about a week after my 12th triathlon, halfway through my third season (3 races in '00, 5 in '01, and 4 before the test and 3 after it in '02).

I used HR quite a bit up until about '05, maybe, and then I continued it on treadmill work into early '06. Let me clarify that some -- I used HRM on many outside runs and rides up through '05, but in early '05 I also starting using it on the treadmill at the gym. And while I mostly discontinued it for outside stuff along about '05, I RELIED on it to keep me honest when doing killer treadmill runs.

Frankly, I couldn't've/wouldn't've attacked the 'mill with such intensity had I not had my Zones to basically tell me that I could, in fact, operate at those high levels when the suffering was palpable; without that HR knowledge, i would've bailed on them much earlier.

I probably said this before, but my reason for stopping using them outdoors was that there were times I felt fine and my HRM said I was at a limit, and other times when I felt lousy, but my HRM said I should be feeling fine. In other words, it was unreliable. I did a few training sessions in which I found I could go much further/faster than my planned Zone called for, and so I thought that if I went on HR and Zones and all, I would run the risk of underpacing myself. That said, I NEVER used my HRM in a race, as I was advised early on to rely on how I felt -- and that was borne out in my own "clinical" studies.

Beyond that, it was just something else to fuss with a take my mind from the task at hand. I mean, there's the aspect of getting the strap right, and the contact established, and the more frequent checking of the rate on the monitor than I normally did when I just used my watch.

So, all that said, I still found it all useful at the time, and it was part of a process that helped me understand my body better. I really loved how it made those treadmill sessions possible, and even though I said that above, I feel so strongly about it that I just want to say it again! Treadmills get a bad rap for tediousness, but a well-planned and well-executed (or at least well-attempted! 'mill session is worth any number of plod-along outdoor runs. Now, THAT said, I haven't been on a 'mill in about three years ---- but I still vouch for them!

Finally, those VO2max and lactate threshold tests are something everyone should experience at least once. (Note that I haven't returned for any sort of "follow-up"! They are a real test of one's ability to want something (i.e., results?) bad enough to practically die for, or at least feel that way. Sweet Mother of Mercy!

2011-09-29 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3705669

User image

Champion

GANG!

Um, still no race reports from Nickel City Triathlon last weekend, but for now here are the numbers:

OLYMPIC (Saturday)

SW -- 32:53 (2nd age group, 68 overall) -- 1:55/100
T1 -- 1:13 (2nd a.g., 37th o.a.)
BK -- 1:08:55 (1st a.g.. 26th o.a.) -- 21.9mph
T2 -- 1:14 (3rd a.g., 82nd o.a.)
RN -- 45:01 (1st a.g., 35 o.a.) -- 7:16/mile

2:29:16 ("peformance") ---- but officially 2:31:16 due to 2-minute penalty for "Position"
2/5 M60-64
39/121 overall

SPRINT (Sunday)

SW -- 15:59 (1st a.g., 46 o.a.) -- 1:52/100m
T1 -- 1:04 (1st a.g., 17th o.a.)
BK -- 34:34 (1st a.g., 13th o.a.) -- 21.9mph
T2 -- 0:55 (1st a.g., 82nd o.a.)
RN -- 21:52 (1st a.g., 20th o.a.) -- 7:03/mile

1:14:24
1/3 M60-64
15/158 overall

Additional comments later (????)

Edited by stevebradley 2011-10-02 11:47 PM
2011-09-29 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Steve,

Thanks for the insights and I didn't mean to keep you up. 1 am is late in anybody's books.  I picked 150 based on a half marathon I ran a couple of years ago (my first) which I targeted 150 as a rate I could maintain and which I did maintained during the race (flat out and back with 1 high rise bridge at mile 8 then again at about 11.  My time was about 2:12 or so.  Above 160 I cannot sustain longer than 15 to 20mins or so, above 165 I last maybe a tad over 5 minutes.  170+ and I am toast in about 2 minutes.  This morning I ran for about 30 minutes at an 11 minute pace and held at about 140-145 bpm.  I did increased my pace (I was on a treadmill) to about 10:45 or so and the heart rate climb to about 150.  I ran constant so not sure at how a 30 sec brieak would influence this.  I had a short in my transmitter which I kept toying with for the past month so I haven't had a reliable read out until I got my new transmitter this week.  My watch is a Timex Ironman model 607.  It has the standard features such as time in zone however I just generally use it to monitor my heart rate and set the timer for nutrition on the ride and watch how fast my heart rate goes down in 2 minutes after I complete excercising (generally 20 or so bpm).

Best of luck on your back to back racesTongue out............

JK

2011-09-30 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

Good luck with your races!  You sure are piling on the races late in the season.

Denise

2011-09-30 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3705669

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-09-29 5:20 PM JEFF - Yes, very useful at the time, and something I would do all over again early in my career. I did that in Aug '02, about a week after my 12th triathlon, halfway through my third season (3 races in '00, 5 in '01, and 4 before the test and 3 after it in '02). I used HR quite a bit up until about '05, maybe, and then I continued it on treadmill work into early '06. Let me clarify that some -- I used HRM on many outside runs and rides up through '05, but in early '05 I also starting using it on the treadmill at the gym. And while I mostly discontinued it for outside stuff along about '05, I RELIED on it to keep me honest when doing killer treadmill runs. Frankly, I couldn't've/wouldn't've attacked the 'mill with such intensity had I not had my Zones to basically tell me that I could, in fact, operate at those high levels when the suffering was palpable; without that HR knowledge, i would've bailed on them much earlier. I probably said this before, but my reason for stopping using them outdoors was that there were times I felt fine and my HRM said I was at a limit, and other times when I felt lousy, but my HRM said I should be feeling fine. In other words, it was unreliable. I did a few training sessions in which I found I could go much further/faster than my planned Zone called for, and so I thought that if I went on HR and Zones and all, I would run the risk of underpacing myself. That said, I NEVER used my HRM in a race, as I was advised early on to rely on how I felt -- and that was borne out in my own "clinical" studies. Beyond that, it was just something else to fuss with a take my mind from the task at hand. I mean, there's the aspect of getting the strap right, and the contact established, and the more frequent checking of the rate on the monitor than I normally did when I just used my watch. So, all that said, I still found it all useful at the time, and it was part of a process that helped me understand my body better. I really loved how it made those treadmill sessions possible, and even though I said that above, I feel so strongly about it that I just want to say it again! Treadmills get a bad rap for tediousness, but a well-planned and well-executed (or at least well-attempted! 'mill session is worth any number of plod-along outdoor runs. Now, THAT said, I haven't been on a 'mill in about three years ---- but I still vouch for them! Finally, those VO2max and lactate threshold tests are something everyone should experience at least once. (Note that I haven't returned for any sort of "follow-up"! They are a real test of one's ability to want something (i.e., results?) bad enough to practically die for, or at least feel that way. Sweet Mother of Mercy!

Steve,

Thanks.  So your a "converted HR guy".    There are tons of "tools" available to help us with training/racing.  I was taught that the protocol you choose doesn't really matter.  Whatever helps you get to place you want to be is good.  Personally I'm with you on racing by HR.... most times   I won't let HR determine my pace for Sprint or Olympic distance events.  But for an HIM or longer I would use it to make decisions about my paces during the race. 

I have found the trendmill invaluable this season.  I took almost all of my runs indoors starting in August this year because of the heat/humidty.  Made a huge difference in the quality of my runs from a "feeling/recovery" standpoint.  Will see if it makes any difference in my pace next season. 

2011-10-01 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3704557

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

stevebradley - 2011-09-28 12:59 AM TRINA - I like the idea of White Rock, too, as it would link up with Redman to give you a taste of each leg of a half-iron. Cool beans! Where are you at with run training now, as in how often a week, how many miles a week, and longest run to date. Depending on those, the time between now and W.R. should be adequate. I think the course is about the same as it's been for years, and if so it is a good course that is consistently well-received. Fine choice!

Steve - I haven't ran in like...two weeks - coach told me to take this week off and do what I want (which is ride my bike) and will start me back to running next week. Before my running hiatus I was running 2-3 times a week, 3-6 miles each time. I've decided to keep coach because he complemented me on Redman. I'm such a sucker.

But I do think my run is coming along, however slowly it comes. My longest run is a 10K, so obviously I have some work to do. And I agree, doing the half mary will give me an idea of each leg of a half-iron. 

I have also started riding my bike on a hilly course. I have to load my bike and drive almost 30 minutes to do so, but I'm burned-out on riding the bike around the lake in front of my house, and am in dire need of hills. 

Good to know that White Rock is a good choice. Thanks for the input! Smile

2011-10-01 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3705948

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

stevebradley - 2011-09-28 10:05 PM GANG! Um, still no race reports from Nickel City Triathlon last weekend, but for now here are the numbers: OLYMPIC (Saturday) SW -- 32:53 (2nd age group, 68 overall) -- 1:55/100 T1 -- 1:13 (2nd a.g., 37th o.a.) BK -- 1:08:55 (1st a.g.. 26th o.a.) -- 21.9mph T2 -- 1:14 (3rd a.g., 82nd o.a.) RN -- 45:01 (1st a.g., 35 o.a.) -- 7:16/mile 2:29:16 ("peformance") ---- but officially 2:31:16 due to 2-minute penalty for "Position" 2/5 M60-64 39/121 overall SPRINT (Sunday) SW -- 15:59 (1st a.g., 46 o.a.) -- 1:52/100m T1 -- 1:04 (1st a.g., 17th o.a.) BK -- 34:34 (1st a.g., 13th o.a.) -- 21.9mph T2 -- 0:55 (1st a.g., 82nd o.a.) RN -- 21:52 (1st a.g., 20th o.a.) -- 7:03/mile 1:14:24 1/3 M60-64 10/158 overall Additional comments later (????)

You are a triathlon machine, Steve. Surprised

2011-10-02 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
So this is what it likes to train in Michigan in the summertime.  Great outdoor training weather for a change.  Temps in the lower 60's in the AM, low to mid 80's for highs during the day.  The windows and glass doors in the house are open and we are loving life.  It's been a long time coming!!!
2011-10-02 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Jeff,

I have also been doing most of my training on a treadmill lateley including my long runs.  I know this sounds like a rookie type question, but since I am I do not mind asking.....Is there much of a difference in your times when you transistion to pavement? I  was wondering what your experience has been.....

JK

2011-10-03 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3708556

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
JoeK - 2011-10-02 10:21 PM

Jeff,

I have also been doing most of my training on a treadmill lateley including my long runs.  I know this sounds like a rookie type question, but since I am I do not mind asking.....Is there much of a difference in your times when you transistion to pavement? I  was wondering what your experience has been.....

JK

Hey JK,

One of the things that I have found out about triathlon is that no question is a rookie question and more times than not the answer you get (even from the pro's and their elite coaches) will differ.  So given that, my experience with treadmills has been:

1) I don't take much stock in measuring my pace/speed on the treadmill.  Pace/Speed readings from treadmill to treadmill that set next to one another in the same gym will differ because of belt slippage.  I can tell you that in the gym that I belong to there is one treadmill that I hate to get on and one that I like getting on.  The effort required for the 6.5mph setting sure is MUCH harder on the one that I don't like to get on.

2) Regarding your question about "pavement versus treadmill".  I have found (with the treadmills that I use) that the effort (RPE) required for 6.5mph on the treadmill is harder than 6.5mph on the pavement.  This is probably contrary to what you would expect.  This could be due to the specific equipment that I have access to and might be totally different from what you have experienced.

3) So, because of #1 and #2 I don't try and correllate the mph setting on the treadmill with my pace/mph on "real" runs.  Most of the time on the treadmills I'll use RPE.  I kind of have a good idea what my Easy, Steady, Mod-Hard and Hard paces feel like.  So if my plan calls for a Steady paced run I'll set the treadmill on a mph setting that feels like Steady.  Other times I'll use HR (Steve is rolling his eyes after reading that   For example, my Steady zone for my runs is around 140bpm.  I'll just crank up the treadmill to a mph setting that gets me 140bpm, etc., etc..

If I had my way I would run 100% outdoors.  However, treadmills sure do have value where I live (particularily in July/August/September).  Long response but hopefully that helps? 

2011-10-03 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3709348

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
junthank - 2011-10-03 12:45 PM   

2) Regarding your question about "pavement versus treadmill".  I have found (with the treadmills that I use) that the effort (RPE) required for 6.5mph on the treadmill is harder than 6.5mph on the pavement.  This is probably contrary to what you would expect.  This could be due to the specific equipment that I have access to and might be totally different from what you have experienced.

Joe/Jeff

I also find treadmill harder than pavement (at the same mph).  Glad to hear someone else finds that the case for whatever reason.  Everything I've read says the opposite.

Denise

2011-10-03 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

Looks like you had a couple of great wins again - very large margin between you and 2nd place in both races.

Denise

2011-10-03 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3709415

User image

Champion

GANG!

Back late last night, and plum tuckered out today. It was about 9 hours each way to the races along coastal NJ, and both were all-out efforts, so the drive, combined with two races this weekend and the two races last weekend, and the cold in between, have rendered me weary, weary, weary. But this too shall pass, as has this season -- I think this was the end for me.

Numbers for now, more details later (???)

CLAM MAN (0.4/10/3.5 -- oddball distances)

SW -- 13:17 (25th overall)
T1 -- 0:54
BK -- 28:58 (11th o.a.) (20.7mph)
T2 -- 0:51
RN -- 25:14 (22nd o.a.) (7:13/mile)

1:09:15

13/67 overall
1/2 M60-64

BASSMAN (0.5/29/4.2 -- more oddball distances)

SW -- 17:08 (40th o.a.)
T1 -- 1:12 (15th o.a.)
BK -- 1:20:23 (17th o.a.) (21.6mph)
T2 -- 1:05 (52nd o.a.)
RN -- 28:45 (29th o.a.) (6:50/mile)

2:08:31

22/125 overall
1/2 M60-64

Tried to hold nothing back on the Bassman run, and had a real good one. I treated the end of the bike as I did for Nation's -- take the last few miles a bit easier. And as with Nation's, I was rewarded with a satisfyibng run pace, possibly my best ever for a triathlon.(?)

I'm glad (at least for now!) that the season has ended; the last few weeks have been manic. Nation's on 9/11, Nickel City olympic on 9/24, Nickel City sprint on 9/25, and the two above this past weekend. But given how late my serious-season started (West Point on 8/14), I had to do some creaticve race planning to get enough hopefully-quality races in for USAT rankings purposes. And given that W.P. was a bust due to my wipe-out, and N.C. oly was a bust due to the penalty, it's good I had five (Mossman, Nation's, N.C. sprint, Clam, and Bass) decent ones to take to the USAT Rankings bank!

Of course, "decent" is all relative, and how they shake down for rankings values remains to be seen!

2011-10-03 7:46 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Jeff / Denise

That is a bit of a surprise that you both find that the treadmill is more difficult at a given speed than pavement. I was anticipating that the treadmill was a bit easier or alot.....not harder.  Good to hear, of course the disclaimer noted that the difference is dependent upon the machine.  Currently, I am focusing on maintaining a given BPM on my long treadmill runs.  I tend to drift and start trying to focus on predicting my race times vice just enjoying the race at a given heart rate and ensuring I finish halfway upright.  I might lose some of my endorsements with this strategy but what the heckWink

JK

2011-10-03 7:52 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Steve,

Congrats on finishing your season strong.  Not sure why you would feel a bit tired after a 9 hour drive, back to back races, and then a 9 hour drive back.Frown  That is one busy "week-end".  It looks like your Sunday race times did not suffer though.  Great Job and glad to hear you made it back safely.....can't wait to read the details.

JK

2011-10-03 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3709724

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Great racing Steve.  I hope those 2 races give you the boost in rankings that you were looking for.  Interesting to note that your bike and run paces were slower for the shorter distance race.  My assumptions are:

1) The course for the shorter race was harder --- or

2) The weather conditions for the longer race were much better (tailwind instead of headwind) --- or

3) You were holding back on the shorter distance --- or

4) It takes your a little while to get warmed up --- or

5) You prefer racing on Sundays

2011-10-03 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3710002

User image

Champion

JK -

My problem with writing races reports are that with two active groups, doing it twice is too daunting. I have ridden the genrosity of people in both groups a couple of times to get them to cut and move from one group to the other, a task I have no idea how to undertake, and which I really hesitate to ask someone else to do.

I will REALLY try to detail those two races, and m aybe also the two from last weekend. Now that my season appears to be done....what better do I have do than relive it through a race report or four??

2011-10-03 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3710009

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Thank you! And those are some interesting guesses.....to which I don't have a definitive answer. But in trying to figure it out myslef, I will use your assumptions as springboards.

(1) Both courses were very flat, but Sat was flatter than Sun. Sat was shorter, too, but also windier. The run course was along the same first and last 1.5 miles as the bike course, and the wind on the way out was very noticeable on the run. It was also there on the bike, of course, and required an immediate adjustment to bearing down without any ease-in period.

(2) In addition to the above, Sat was more open -- coastal marshes instead of Pine Barrens. Parts of Sun were windy, but the generally treed landscape provided some shelter. Also, Sat was sneaky-humid, whereas Sun was relatively dry.

(3) Not aware of holding back much at all. In fact, once I decided to do Clam Man on Thursday, it became the more important race for me. At least that's what I told myself, and I really did enter the weekend that way, but once that race was done I set my sights on Sun and finishing with no need to leave anything on the course.

(4) Maybe.......but possibly a great sleep (even in a cold tent! ) helped, as likely did the fact that I drove all day on Friday, whereas on Saturday I spent three hours in midday just sitting around the Barnes and Noble in Brick, NJ, reading. Driving from Clam to Bass was only a 35-minute enterprise!

(5) Sunday preference? In genreal, I think I like Sat better, but for no good reason.

Ultimately, i think it came down to (a) following my Nation's plan, which involved easing up some on the final 2-3 miles of the bike, thus saving a bit for the run, and (b) realizing I had no reason to hold back -- other than fear that I would have another bad Bassman run (a la the half in '07 and the int'l in '09).

In '09, I got angry at a pack or two that caught me during the final 3-4 miles of the bike. I would work hard on catching them, and do so, and scowl sideways at them as I passed.....and then within a minute or two they would pass me, and the process would begin again. The upside to this is that I finished my ride a few heartbeats before they finished theirs; the downside was I was gassed for the run, and actually walked part of it -- a 4.2-mile run, and I walked part of it!!!

Here's the stats. In '09 my bike was 1:19:11, and the run was 35:18. Yesterday it was a 1:20:23 bike, and a 28:45 run. Courses were exactly the same, and to the best of my recollection, weather was close to the same, too. In '09 it was in May, but i don't think that had any bearing on those different results. I really think it came down to being a blockhead on the bike in '09, and being smarter yesterday.

But I digress -- sort of. Yesterday worked for me because I struck a good balance of riding hard and running hard, and being somewhat conservative the final couple of miles of the bike meant that I had enough of whatever to nail the run without blowing up. That was a great feeling, and I'm sure it's the first time in a tri (or du) that I have gone that much under 7:00/mile, and possibly the only time I have gone sub-sevens.

Or........it was just my lucky day!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57