Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-02-25 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3372046

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
IceManScott - 2011-02-25 9:35 AMFunctional Threshold = 295.  Whoot!  Nearly back to the 300 I had before the IT band issue.  It's not everything, but it is a victory.  With the added weight loss and strength, I hope this translates to better speed on the bike. 

Noticed in my first two club runs that I'm feeling pushed.  I think 1. I asked to be in a faster group so I would be urged to go faster, and 2. I shortened my stride and increased cadence on the treadmill to abvoid injury.  I may be experiencing something from that.  Time will tell.    I'm no speed demon on the run, but a sub 9min/mi was where I was at last year and I'd like to get there again.  

Scott what type of speed do you average on a long solo ride, those are nice numbers. Heck last year I was only around 250 and can average 22 on a HIM and still run off the bike.  You must pull 24+mph..  that is awesome.

I am not a fan of running with a group for too many runs, its fine once in a while but you have a workout your doing and unless everyone is exactly like you it will affect your workout.. They will be either too fast or too slow...

Every top coach and pro says the average amateur goes WAY too easy on hard workouts...... and WAY too hard on easy workouts...  just alittle fyi

2011-02-25 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3372057

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
razorxp - 2011-02-25 8:39 AM Court that stinks about your back, hope you heal quickly.  I would try yoga then core work.

KC,  I'm no Doc so I can just say what I do.  +3 on glucosomine and I also take prescription celebrex 2 times per day (24hr version of advil script only) you have to have liver test to get a scrip though.  I would see a Doc before trying anything new though.  Good luck

Rob great run with a spin class for a cooldown. lol

Deb way to fight through the urge to cut a workout short, that can be hard sometimes.  What exactly is a body analysis? Let us know what your nutritionist says.  My only advice with a nutritionist is to make sure they are used to working with clients that are doing abnormal workouts, alot of them only work with people that may do 30mins of cardio aday if their lucky.  Our requirements are double theirs.

I am with Tim as I take Fishoil and flax oil, no idea if it works but worth a try...  If not you have VERY expensive pee lol

I have very expensive if that's the case.  I have fish oil but dont take it much.  Didn't know about anti-inflammatory properties.  I take a bunch of other stuff.  The glucosamine I would not do without. I still can't play the piano, but hey, I never could  

2011-02-25 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3372092

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
razorxp - 2011-02-25 8:51 AM
IceManScott - 2011-02-25 9:35 AMFunctional Threshold = 295.  Whoot!  Nearly back to the 300 I had before the IT band issue.  It's not everything, but it is a victory.  With the added weight loss and strength, I hope this translates to better speed on the bike. 

Noticed in my first two club runs that I'm feeling pushed.  I think 1. I asked to be in a faster group so I would be urged to go faster, and 2. I shortened my stride and increased cadence on the treadmill to abvoid injury.  I may be experiencing something from that.  Time will tell.    I'm no speed demon on the run, but a sub 9min/mi was where I was at last year and I'd like to get there again.  

Scott what type of speed do you average on a long solo ride, those are nice numbers. Heck last year I was only around 250 and can average 22 on a HIM and still run off the bike.  You must pull 24+mph..  that is awesome.

I am not a fan of running with a group for too many runs, its fine once in a while but you have a workout your doing and unless everyone is exactly like you it will affect your workout.. They will be either too fast or too slow...

Every top coach and pro says the average amateur goes WAY too easy on hard workouts...... and WAY too hard on easy workouts...  just alittle fyi

That's why I have a coach.  He keeps me honest.  Mostly he tells me to take it easier.  

My PR on the regular 12.5 mile TT is just under 23.   I battled bad bike fits until late in the year.  Once that was good, progress was good.  I get 20 plus on the half IM distance. That was about 10 pounds ago.  I'm hoping to bust about 23.5 on the short course and 21 plus for long.  I weigh 200 pounds still, and my position needs to be fine tuned.  But I should climb better this year...and my fit better and position better...all good.  As you know, 70% of the watts over 20 mph are burned fighting wind resistance. Small changes and weight make a huge difference.     Lots to learn.

2011-02-25 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3372046

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-02-25 8:35 AM Government study didn't find any huge benefit in glucosamine.  But I know that my fingers were stiff and nearly unusable.  Now no problem at all.  That was before I lost the wweight and rode bikes, ran and swam so I have no idea how much benefit I'm getting.  I only know that I don't suffer much from joint pain at all and  I'm 59 and I workout like a beast in heat. 

Functional Threshold = 295.  Whoot!  Nearly back to the 300 I had before the IT band issue.  It's not everything, but it is a victory.  With the added weight loss and strength, I hope this translates to better speed on the bike. 

what is functional threshold vs. watts?  i get confused reading about all these numbers people use for bikes.
2011-02-25 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Veteran
i did 11 mile run followed by 1000yd swim yesterday.  very happy that i used 2 gus and had no stomach issues.  that is big for me.  my calf started to cramp at end of swim.  legs are sore today but going to try to do 1 hr of hill repeats on bike.
2011-02-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3372066

User image

Expert
They were calling for 3-7" last night.  They way they were talking I figured i would wake up to the end of the world, but instead it was just a light dusting.  This winter has been brutal.  Cry

razorxp - 2011-02-25 8:41 AM I love the midwest under a level 2 snow emergency again today! I am so tired of this winter, anyone else get hammered again?  I may not ride outside until June. lol  Hope our Ymca is open tonight can sneak a swim in as its been 2 weeks away from pool.

Good luck on interview Rob

2011-02-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3372142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
gabrelsj - 2011-02-25 9:12 AM
IceManScott - 2011-02-25 8:35 AM Government study didn't find any huge benefit in glucosamine.  But I know that my fingers were stiff and nearly unusable.  Now no problem at all.  That was before I lost the wweight and rode bikes, ran and swam so I have no idea how much benefit I'm getting.  I only know that I don't suffer much from joint pain at all and  I'm 59 and I workout like a beast in heat. 

Functional Threshold = 295.  Whoot!  Nearly back to the 300 I had before the IT band issue.  It's not everything, but it is a victory.  With the added weight loss and strength, I hope this translates to better speed on the bike. 

what is functional threshold vs. watts?  i get confused reading about all these numbers people use for bikes.

Functional threshold is that place where your body starts to gather lactic acid.   It can be measured in heart rate or watts.  Either way it is a bench mark to figure where workouts should fall on the scale.  Tempo is easier, longer, VO2 max is harder and shorter.  Both have their purposes. I posted this on my Face book this week.  It's really the best explaination and it gives suggested swim, bike and run workouts to cover the bases.  Important stuff.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/resources/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/understanding-lactate-threshold-heart-rate-training

2011-02-25 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3372159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
gabrelsj - 2011-02-25 9:17 AM i did 11 mile run followed by 1000yd swim yesterday.  very happy that i used 2 gus and had no stomach issues.  that is big for me.  my calf started to cramp at end of swim.  legs are sore today but going to try to do 1 hr of hill repeats on bike.

I'm no coach, but most suggestions are to follow hard days with easier days.  I don't know if that 1000 yards, 11 miles is a hard day for you....it would be for me. 
2011-02-25 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3372192

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-02-25 9:37 AM
gabrelsj - 2011-02-25 9:17 AM i did 11 mile run followed by 1000yd swim yesterday.  very happy that i used 2 gus and had no stomach issues.  that is big for me.  my calf started to cramp at end of swim.  legs are sore today but going to try to do 1 hr of hill repeats on bike.

I'm no coach, but most suggestions are to follow hard days with easier days.  I don't know if that 1000 yards, 11 miles is a hard day for you....it would be for me. 

it was a hard workout and i will not puch too hard today.  i feel like i have to get as much time in the saddle as possible (my race is 2 mos away and i have only done 3 outside rides).  i brought my bike to work so i could ride for an hour during lunch.  the only safe place to ride is a residential street about 1.5 miles long that is not flat.
2011-02-25 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Rob - good luck on the job front. (OWS in lake Mich though?! Surprised bbbrr)

Court - Back pain is THE worst, Until you actually have it, you don't resalise how everything you do triggers it. A knee you can rest, but just moving is painful with a back. I feel for ya.

Dave - I think I picked a great nutrition person to see. She is a triathlete herself, and competed at world champ level. If she can't set me on the right track, then I give up and the couch wins haha

We are getting more crappy weather. Ice/ rain/ snow mix. Lovely. The only time my poor bike gets out of the house these days, is on a Wednesday when it gets to go to computrainer class.

So, the body analysis........ would be better known as 'how depressed can I make you feel?' They have you lay on the floor, hook you up to electrodes and then it tells you what your body composition is- fat/water/BMI/FFM/LBM etc.  Apparently mine = F.A.T

Supplements - I take Fish oil, multi, flax, Bee pollen, Vit D and calcium. So I have REALLY expensive pee too apparently Wink
2011-02-25 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3372407

User image

Veteran
Mass.
Deb-Is you nutrition person someone local?  I've been on the fence about seeing a nutritionist.  I'd like a sports one, not just a general nutritionist.  So did the body scan reveal anything worth while?  Or was it a kind of a waste?

2011-02-25 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Yup, she's local.

http://web.me.com/netritraining/Site/Coaching.html

The body analysis - I think it was useful? I guess once I get past being told I'm a lard a$$ (30.4% BF Surprised) I might see more use lol.

It did give me a more accurate idea of my BMR and daily calorie expenditure, rather than some generic pc generated one.  They give you a print out of what the breakdown is etc, so I plan on taking it with me when I see Sharon tomorrow and seeing if there is anything useful there.

I figure I could get it done again in 12 ish weeks - just before my HIM - and see if I have made any gains. For $15 I'll give it a whirl, if only to (hopefully) see my fat shrink lol

Edited by cheekymonkeys1 2011-02-25 1:09 PM
2011-02-25 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3372633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-25 1:07 PM Yup, she's local.

The body analysis - I think it was useful? I guess once I get past being told I'm a lard a$$ (30.4% BF Surprised) I might see more use lol.

It did give me a more accurate idea of my BMR and daily calorie expenditure, rather than some generic pc generated one.  They give you a print out of what the breakdown is etc, so I plan on taking it with me when I see Sharon tomorrow and seeing if there is anything useful there.

I figure I could get it done again in 12 ish weeks - just before my HIM - and see if I have made any gains. For $15 I'll give it a whirl, if only to (hopefully) see my fat shrink lol

$15?  Wow, that's cheap.  They are getting $100 to $200 here at the University for base metabolism, body composition and LT and VO2 max testing.    

Please don't let the numbers get in your head.  They are what they are.  How do you think it felt to have this number. 400 POUNDS or this one 50 INCH WAIST.  It was what it was.  A starting point.  Then the work came and the numbers fell.  Yours will too.  They wanted me at about 198 for 10% fat...I think I'm there...now a 33 inch waist.  Good enough for me.  They don't want less than 10% in endurance racing because we use that on the really long hauls.

How many people do you know training for a HIM no matter what their body fat compposition is?  Yeah, that's what I thought.  You're already a winner in my book.    

The base metabolism is a great number to have.  Add to it every workout subtract 500 and you have a daily goal  one pound loss a week.  

You rock.  If we do the right things, we get the right results. Trust it.  

2011-02-25 7:03 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Evening Team.

I hope everyone is having or has had a great day.

Rob, I hope you were successful in your interview and I wish you all the best. (Swimming in Lake Michigan sounds like fun)

Jason, nice run and swim – wow!

Deb – don’t let those numbers get you down, you will figure it out and do what is best for you and makes you feel comfortable and healthy.

Scott – thanks for the all the info – you are awesome!

Coach – I hope you got/get your swim in tonight and I am betting if you do or did, you loved it and did a great job of it.

We had some terrible weather this morning in my area and it took me 2 hours to get to work. My normal commute is 50 minutes. I just took my time, listened to my sports radio and managed to dodge the accidents.

My hip is feeling a bit better than last night and I appreciate all the input on possible supplements to help it long term.  I will go get that glucosamine on Saturday. I am probably going to slap a bit of ice on it again tonight to calm it down even further.

I made it to the pool today, had a nice swim and I won’t bore you with the details except it is still a work in progress. After my swim I met up with one of my curling team mates to get some practice in. I followed that up with a solid hour on the bike trainer. The hip bothered me the most on the bike today with about 15 minutes to go in the ride but I got it done and had a real good stretch. Now it is time for some ice and I might even have a beer by the fire place as I watch some curling and some golf on the tube. I just read this article in Triathlete Magazine, titled “Three Cheers For Beer” and apparently the cold one I am about to enjoy is not that bad to consume after a good work out. I knew I would like this sport - LOL

One more thing to say – I really like being a part of this group – Thanks.

Have a great weekend everyone.

KC

2011-02-26 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Scott - Thank you! You are of course, completely right. I'm really enjoying the training, I'm going to focus on that for now. Everything else will fall into place :-)
2011-02-26 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Well - the meeting got cancelled, but I'm not concerned.  Like I said, it *might* be an opportunity.  Now it's a waiting game as some things need to happen before the opportunity might really gel.

Got a break from work yesterday and was able to put in a swim.  Not the full workout I wanted but was able to put in the bulk of the main set.

2011-02-26 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3373445

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
robburkett - 2011-02-26 9:35 AM Well - the meeting got cancelled, but I'm not concerned.  Like I said, it *might* be an opportunity.  Now it's a waiting game as some things need to happen before the opportunity might really gel.

Got a break from work yesterday and was able to put in a swim.  Not the full workout I wanted but was able to put in the bulk of the main set.

Sorry to hear it got cancelled but I am sure it will work out for the best for you Rob. 
2011-02-26 5:58 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Evening Team.

A bit quite in here today - hope everyone is having a great day.

As for me, it was a nice day. Swim, run, curl. The only way it could be better I guess if was able to include a bike and round of golf.

Have a great night all.

KC

PS. Hip was good today (cross my fingers)

PSS. On a sad note, I had my total meters for my swim added wrong yesterday. I did not do 1050 I actually did only 975Cry LOL

Edited by kcgolf 2011-02-26 6:12 PM
2011-02-27 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
KC - glad the hip is holding.

I have a 3 mile race today. It's part of a 3 week series - 3 miles this week, then 4, then 5. I was hoping to really push and come down to 9:30 ish for such a 'short' distance. Instead it looks like I'll be doing the tip toe snow dance. We ended up with at least another 4 inches last night and it's still going. Race doesn't start til 1pm. Maybe they'll have cleared most of it by then. If so I am going to push, push, push Laughing

Then hour and a half on the trainer. I'm hoping I can talk hubby into taking our daughter to her Ice skating lesson so I get to do it in peace hehe

What's everybody else up to?

Edited by cheekymonkeys1 2011-02-27 8:29 AM
2011-02-27 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3372633

User image

Veteran
Mass.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-25 2:07 PM Yup, she's local.

Where did you go for it?
2011-02-27 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3374131

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-27 9:27 AM KC - glad the hip is holding.

I have a 3 mile race today. It's part of a 3 week series - 3 miles this week, then 4, then 5. I was hoping to really push and come down to 9:30 ish for such a 'short' distance. Instead it looks like I'll be doing the tip toe snow dance. We ended up with at least another 4 inches last night and it's still going. Race doesn't start til 1pm. Maybe they'll have cleared most of it by then. If so I am going to push, push, push Laughing

Then hour and a half on the trainer. I'm hoping I can talk hubby into taking our daughter to her Ice skating lesson so I get to do it in peace hehe

What's everybody else up to?

Good Morning Deb & Team.

Good luck with the run - hope they get the snow cleared for you. As for me, off to the pool at 1 this afternoon - you know me, glutton for punishment LOL.

Have a great day.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-02-27 8:37 AM

2011-02-27 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Keith - I went to a local Y for the BA. My own Y didn't have it, but one 5 miles away did. Do you have a Y near you? you could check out their offerings.

KC "glutton for punishment" Haha That's how I feel about running! but I think the term we are meant to use is 'dedicated to improvement' Wink
2011-02-27 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Got my 19 miler in this morning.  Had a great run and no bonk.  Really worked on pre-race nutrition and hydration and then fueling during the run and it made such a big difference.  Got up at 4am and drank 16 oz. Gatorade Endurance with toast.  Drank a Gatorade Prime at 8am 1 hour before run (1st time using it).  Then I took a swig of Gatorde Endurance every mile from there on out.  Ended up drinking 38oz. Gatorade and 26oz. water with 2 Gu gels.  I am thinking I drank too much fluid because I had to go to the bathroom four timesUndecided.  I am trying to find that balance of just the right fluid intake.

Overall I feel great and was actually contemplating doing a trainer ride this afternoon but decided it would be best to rest a bit.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Gonna head to Olive Garden with the fam tonight to replenish those 2500 burned calories haha.
2011-02-27 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3374495

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
tmoran80 - 2011-02-27 4:11 PM Got my 19 miler in this morning.  Had a great run and no bonk.  Really worked on pre-race nutrition and hydration and then fueling during the run and it made such a big difference.  Got up at 4am and drank 16 oz. Gatorade Endurance with toast.  Drank a Gatorade Prime at 8am 1 hour before run (1st time using it).  Then I took a swig of Gatorde Endurance every mile from there on out.  Ended up drinking 38oz. Gatorade and 26oz. water with 2 Gu gels.  I am thinking I drank too much fluid because I had to go to the bathroom four timesUndecided.  I am trying to find that balance of just the right fluid intake.

Overall I feel great and was actually contemplating doing a trainer ride this afternoon but decided it would be best to rest a bit.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Gonna head to Olive Garden with the fam tonight to replenish those 2500 burned calories haha.

Good job.  Fluid intake is fun to figure out.  I've ended up feeling full sometimes.  Good job on the run.  What flavor Gu gels?  I'm trying to find something that ain't gross.
2011-02-27 5:11 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Team.

Tim - NICE JOB TODAY!

Crappy day for me unfortunately. I was planning on getting a serious swim workout in today at 1:00 but the day started to unravel just about then. I got to the college pool but it was a zoo - a combined recreational swim and lap swim and there were as many people there as I have ever seen. Good swimmers I have seen there before were actually leaving because it was so busy. At that point I decided to change my schedule, head home, get a few things done and head back for the swim tonight at 7 pm - but no go. Came down with a killer migraine around 2:30. I am not sure why I had one come on today but it came on like a freight train. If any of you are migraine sufferers - they suck Yell. I just crawled out of my cold dark bedroom to take more meds and then going to try to shut it down for the rest of the day. 

So, I guess today will have to be my day off - I hate taking days off - in my head (which is a bit cloudy right now), it means I lose a day and am one day farther from getting better - very depressing.

I hope everyone else had a nice weekend and I hope your run was good this afternoon Deb.

I will check in tomorrow.

KC 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76