of 64

2011-11-04 6:13 AM
in reply to: #3821782

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED
mambos - 2011-11-03 9:14 PM

Running for 2 hours straight on a treadmill is TORCHER!  !

Haha!!!reading this sentence is complete torture!! But in all seriousness awesome job dude. What is your goal for the half?

2011-11-04 8:30 AM

User image

NH
mambos - 2011-11-03 9:14 PM

2 hours, 12 miles completed, I have officially carried my April 5K pace into November's half marathon pace.  I call that a good season!

That's amazing progress!  Good luck next weekend, do you have a goal you don't mind sharing publicly?

I'm with Dirk, I'll do anything to run outside.  The worst part of a wet run for me was actually my feet - finding socks which didn't cause hot spots when wet was tricky but I have some now. 

I'll try to run outside all winter, though Jeff has us on the treadmill for one run to track progress and work on some things you can't do outside.  I hope running on the treadmill for that one run a week doesn't make me wimpy so I don't run outside all winter.  I love the looks I get as I run past people snow blowing their driveways!

2011-11-04 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3807450

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2011-11-03 3:15 PM

Jonathan, are you planning on trying to do the full Jorge plan, well at least the 3 key workouts, while building up the running?  That's going to be my goal, but if the running becomes too much I'm going to drop one of the bike workouts.  I did #1 and it felt ok, legs were good, lungs not so much.

I've done a few very short runs, like 10 and 15 minutes, and felt pretty good.  Tonight is a 20 minute, then I'll reassess. I'm hoping to start 6 days a week next week.

Warren, if you are ready to run at all, you should be ready for 6 days.  Remember, the frequency should come before the distance.  You could just do 5 minutes each day for 6 days.  if you do 20 minutes and that's a stretch for you, certainly don't run the next day....my point is that the body needs daily running and anyone can achieve that unless they are reaching for too much speed or distance.

I hope you continue to feel better!

2011-11-04 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3821170

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2011-11-03 7:50 PM
wbayek - 2011-11-03 4:15 PM

Jonathan, are you planning on trying to do the full Jorge plan, well at least the 3 key workouts, while building up the running?  That's going to be my goal, but if the running becomes too much I'm going to drop one of the bike workouts.  I did #1 and it felt ok, legs were good, lungs not so much.

I've done a few very short runs, like 10 and 15 minutes, and felt pretty good.  Tonight is a 20 minute, then I'll reassess. I'm hoping to start 6 days a week next week.

Yup, so far that is the plan. I did the first two days of the plan and I am seriously out of cycling shape for sure. I am running every day that my legs feel good. For example I would have run today but my legs are sore from yesterday's run with my buddy that is way faster than me. I let him go at his own pace once I felt like it was too fast but I still averaged 8:35 for the run...definitely too fast for easy pace. I'll try to run tomorrow but we have to be at Kate's parents house for dinner right after work. Life gets in the way.I'm definitely not up to six days a week, but I am trying for at least 4. It's tough since I have been back home. Lots of crap going on.

You know what I'm going to say right?  I do understand about life getting in the way, but daily running takes first priority.  Just make sure they are short enough and slow enough that you don't feel it the next day.  You have permission to go slow and to go short.

How about you do 2 miles per day every single day for a month?  If it's November then you'd do 60 miles (so make a few of them 3 miles and break your record!)  This is really important!

And besides, doing it this way will leave you really fresh and with extra time left to really hit Jorge's cycling program.

2011-11-04 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
mambos - 2011-11-03 8:14 PM

OK, 1st the fact that I can make the following complaint is completey amazing.

Running for 2 hours straight on a treadmill is TORCHER!  Staring at myself in the window in front of me and not going anywhere is rough!  On top of that the reason I was on the treadmill was the fact it was raining when I got off work and the radar showed it wasn't going to stop!  Well 15 minutes into the run the rain turned to a sprinkle and then stopped completely, so for 1hr and 45min I got to look out the window while it wasn't raining!

2 hours, 12 miles completed, I have officially carried my April 5K pace into November's half marathon pace.  I call that a good season!  Hope everyone is doing well and that the bumps and bruises are healing! 

Dirk: Good luck with the race this weekend!

Wow. that's incredible.  I cannot really imagine 2 hours on a treadmill without something to take my mind off of it.  I really love running on the t-mill when there is a movie in front of me, but your way is hard core.

That's a great run too.  But what does the whole week look like?

2011-11-04 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3821871

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Dirk, I'm signed up to get your text messages.

So you're going to carry your phone?  I sure hope it's light.  Mind if I call you every 10 minutes through the race? 

2011-11-04 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3822173

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Update on my end--because it may be valuable to you all.

Wednesday I was doing my 5 miles on the treadmill after swimming.  4.5 miles in, my right IT band began to hurt (outside of right knee).  I decided to run through it.  That's usually what I do with aches because 90% turn out to be nothing.

Well, it still hurt when I finished and walked.  It felt wonky all day.  It bothered me going down stairs and walking downhill mostly.  Thursday I just did a double-super hard spin bike workout (above 80% of max HR for 2hrs 10mins). Last night I took a hot bath and iced it.

Still wonky this morning, no change.  Got to the pool late and only did about 20 minutes of kicking/one-arm/stretching in the pool before running.  For my stretching I focused on quads and glutes.  these are stretches I've forsaken since shoulder surgery since they involve my shoulder.  But I did them today.  I believe a factor in this is the tightness of my glutes.

So when I began running I was worried and adopted my 'running on glass' form.  Impactless basically.  I realized immediately that it was my 'barefoot' running technique too.  I haven't done that since April when I hurt my achilles since running without the heel lift of my training shoes was painfull all year.  In the intervening months I'd forgotten my 'soft' running form.  Not only did my IT band not make a single complaint today, but when I was done I was springing out of the locker room and off to work like I hadn't been running.

So my admonition for all of you is to really try the barefoot running drill about once per week as I've advocated in the past.  Now that the weather's cold you can't try this at an outdoor track.  So your options will be limited.  You can try running in minimal racing flats if you own them, because that's similar.  Or you can try it on a treadmill in socks.  (barefoot will tear the skin off your feet).  Or another alternative is to get a pair of minimalist shoes.  I don't really value the new crop of shoes that cost more than a tank of premium gas in a Ford Expedition...they only cost them $1.34 to make in a third world country by little kids.  The 'original' minimalist shoe is great and cheap and I recommend it if you go this route: http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:144022/sku:07063101/nike-zoom-waffle-racer-vii-mens/white/yellow/?cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH%3A%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH

2011-11-04 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

NH

Where do I sign up for text message updates?  I'll be at a conference tomorrow but would love to get updates.

Jeff, given my Achilles issues, I assumed I'd lay off the barefoot/minimalist running until that was TOTALLY resolved.  Does that make sense or should I try some barefoot/sock running?

2011-11-04 12:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I don't mind running in the cold, but I can't stand to be wet! Also was a little concerned about catching a cold that would slow me down next week! As for the goal in my HM.... I am officially stating my holy crap goal is 2hrs! After last night I know I can go under 2hr10m! I know it was on the tread... Wait DREADMILL, but I felt good and can carry that to the road! I have a buddy that is experienced marathon runner who is going to pace with me for awhile so that should help! I need suggestions on what to do next week! Today I am going to skip running and do 1hr on spinner, Saturday will be 4-5 mile run and Sunday will probably be around 8 miles! From there on I have no clue what to do! Thinking about just doing 4 miles Monday-Thursday, off Friday (travel day) and then maybe 2 miles on Saturday to keep the legs loose! Any thoughts would be much appreciated! I have been averaging 30 miles a week for maybe 2 months!
2011-11-04 12:10 PM

User image

NH

Good luck Matt, sub 2 is a great goal.  We'll be waiting to hear the report.  Those last few miles can be a real mental test if you've pushed for the first 10-11, prepare yourself for a discussion with your legs/lungs.  I agree on the feet in the wet; not chancing it so close to the half was a smart move.  In terms of your last week of training - I have no idea how to taper properly; I think I have fallen into the "taper way top much" camp and I know Jeff has some idea about really short tapers which make a ton of sense to me.

Sounds like I'll be starting with 6 days running next week!  The few 20 minute runs I've done have really given me zero issues, I easily could have run the same or more the next day but I chose not to.  I have to update my logs this week.  I've been bad about logging my runs and rides probably because it feels like I'm not really training right now. 

Do you all log any core/weight workouts you do?  I've typically not done that, and I know strength training strikes a nerve on this site, but at my age I think it's critical for reasons other than optimizing triathlon racing times.

2011-11-04 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3822353

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2011-11-04 10:30 AM

Dirk, I'm signed up to get your text messages.

So you're going to carry your phone?  I sure hope it's light.  Mind if I call you every 10 minutes through the race? 

sure go ahead and call me every 10.  But wait until the last 5-6 miles that way every time the phone rings I'll get mad and run harder.

2011-11-04 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3822691

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
wbayek - 2011-11-04 12:34 PM

Where do I sign up for text message updates?  I'll be at a conference tomorrow but would love to get updates.

Jeff, given my Achilles issues, I assumed I'd lay off the barefoot/minimalist running until that was TOTALLY resolved.  Does that make sense or should I try some barefoot/sock running?

You can sign up for them at the website I posted the other day.  it will send a code to you once you make it through a few steps then you have to confirm.  Its all pretty easy.

BTW, since you guys are following me, feel free to text me.  since you are facebook friends you should have access to my cell phone number.....BUT i will have it silenced during the race so I can't hear Jeff calling me every ten minutes (but keep that to your selves i don't want Jeff to know).

2011-11-05 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3822337

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2011-11-04 10:24 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-11-03 7:50 PM
wbayek - 2011-11-03 4:15 PM

Yup, so far that is the plan. I did the first two days of the plan and I am seriously out of cycling shape for sure. I am running every day that my legs feel good. For example I would have run today but my legs are sore from yesterday's run with my buddy that is way faster than me. I let him go at his own pace once I felt like it was too fast but I still averaged 8:35 for the run...definitely too fast for easy pace. I'll try to run tomorrow but we have to be at Kate's parents house for dinner right after work. Life gets in the way.I'm definitely not up to six days a week, but I am trying for at least 4. It's tough since I have been back home. Lots of crap going on.

You know what I'm going to say right?  I do understand about life getting in the way, but daily running takes first priority.  Just make sure they are short enough and slow enough that you don't feel it the next day.  You have permission to go slow and to go short.

How about you do 2 miles per day every single day for a month?  If it's November then you'd do 60 miles (so make a few of them 3 miles and break your record!)  This is really important!

And besides, doing it this way will leave you really fresh and with extra time left to really hit Jorge's cycling program.

Okay, I got it.  Will go with that this month.  I did my run today and the legs were fatigued and sore from running too fast.  That was such a stupid move.  I think I will have to stick to running by myself for a while or at least until I can match the pace of the other person comfortably.  I also over dressed like an idiot today.  My phone said it was 27 and come to find out, it's like 40.  So my heart rate was through the roof.  Good fun.

2011-11-05 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3834624

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Jonathon, just re-read my post. When I said that daily running takes first priority, I only meant that in regards to running, that the daily aspect should take priority over miles, speed, whatever. When I reread it, it sounded like I was saying it's more important than the life that gets in the way....not so.
2011-11-05 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3822797

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Warren, good call. I stopped barefoot running to protect my Achilles too.
2011-11-05 4:23 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
For those of you that didn't track Dirk today....he made it! The double-dip was a success. The tracking said he did 3:14:52, so he ran like a perfectly programmed machine.

2011-11-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3834952

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

JeffY - 2011-11-05 5:15 PM Jonathon, just re-read my post. When I said that daily running takes first priority, I only meant that in regards to running, that the daily aspect should take priority over miles, speed, whatever. When I reread it, it sounded like I was saying it's more important than the life that gets in the way....not so.

Yeah, I got what you meant the first time.  I did track Dirk.  Sounds like he really put the hurtin' on himself to get it done.  I am super psyched for him.  The only bad thing is that he now has to keep up running through 2013!

I really like your idea about running barefoot to understand how that style can ease your joints, etc.  I think I would get a lot out of it.  I am just hesitant to try it just yet.  I should stick to the running frequently thing without any major issues for at least a month before I try the barefoot routine.  We do have a gym on the other side of the island at work that I could use, which obviously has a treadmill.  I'll mull it over.

I'm heading out for a bike ride in about 40 mins.  It's a balmy 32 degrees out and breezy.  Going to love every minute of it!

2011-11-06 11:46 AM

User image

NH

Very excited for Dirk.  He has the mental aspect down for sure.  Incredible double dip - great idea Jeff.

Now onto Matt for next week.  Hammer that thing and hit your goal.

I'm super ready to really start running again tomorrow.  I'm planning to start at 13 miles this week on 6 runs, and see where my body goes from there.

2011-11-06 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3835593

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Thanks guys for all the props.  I appreciate all of you following me on my bid for Boston and all of the support I received from you all.  Thanks to Jeff for the confirmation that it was possible to actually do this thing.  I had considered doing it and then you confirmed the idea that it was a possibility.

And, as you said Jonathon, I had to put a hurting on myself in a way that I haven't felt since my first marathon last year.  My confirmation of that was when I collapsed 15 feet past the finish line.

Matt, For a taper for your HM coming up this weekend, I would suggest keeping your miles very easy.  As far as running 4-5 miles for 5 days straight, I think you should drop that back some.  Maybe do 5 miles Monday, 3 miles Tuesday, take Wednesday off, 4-5 Thursday, off Friday for the travel and a couple of miles on Saturday as you are already planning.  All of these miles should be done with an idea that if you start feeling much fatigue in your legs developing that you would back the distance down.

Also, as Warren said, be ready to do battle with your head!!!!  You ARE going to get some thoughts that your body "cannot" but you can will yourself through much of this! I think you are capable of getting that 2 hour PR but make sure you fuel well and don't let your head get to you.  Make sure you hydrate well in the days leading up to the race and get a solid amount of good carbs for a couple of days leading into the race.

I suggest for food that you eat a large sweet potato on Friday and Saturday and some quinoa (keen-wa) in place of rice.  The quinoa is a pretty similar texture as rice and can be used in place of rice for whatever recipe you use that requires rice.  The benefits of quinoa are pretty amazing.  Just don't eat a bunh of donuts and junk for the carbs.  You'll feel way heavy and lousy if that is your carb loading routine.

2011-11-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3835461

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2011-11-06 8:24 AM

I really like your idea about running barefoot to understand how that style can ease your joints, etc.  I think I would get a lot out of it.  I am just hesitant to try it just yet.  I should stick to the running frequently thing without any major issues for at least a month before I try the barefoot routine.  We do have a gym on the other side of the island at work that I could use, which obviously has a treadmill.  I'll mull it over.

I'm just referring to short periods of time.  It's like a drill.  So it should never be the cause of any issues.  Just pick your easy training pace and hold it long enough to relax in to the run technique.  For me it takes about 1/4 mile.  Then I spend time noticing how it feels then replicate it when I run with my shoes on.

The max I've done this way is 1 mile.

2011-11-07 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3835593

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2011-11-06 11:46 AM

Very excited for Dirk.  He has the mental aspect down for sure.  Incredible double dip - great idea Jeff.

Now onto Matt for next week.  Hammer that thing and hit your goal.

I'm super ready to really start running again tomorrow.  I'm planning to start at 13 miles this week on 6 runs, and see where my body goes from there.

6 runs, about 2 miles each...Sounds great.  Be prepared to shorten it even more if you need to.  I don't think there is anything stressful about 6 or 7 runs per week as long as the runs are short enough.  If it's stressful, it's not too many runs, it's too far.

Based on what you've had to deal with lately, I would be happy to hear that you did 6 x 1 mile. 

I'm really glad you are getting back now.  It was the right time of year to miss training.  Now you can have a focused 5-6 months of consistent training before racing season comes up again.

2011-11-07 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3835717

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Dirk, this marathon was harder for you than I believed it was going to be.  I'm very relieved that you succeeded with the time goal!  To go through that and miss would have made me feel terrible for having pushed you to it.

What made this race harder than the last one (where you missed your time only due to circumstance)?

• Not recovered from the last marathon?
  • The training between wasn't correct?
  • Course was harder?  Or weather?
  • Pacing?

I know I'm jumping the gun here.  Your race report may answer all this.

2011-11-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3857320

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2011-11-07 11:55 AM

Dirk, this marathon was harder for you than I believed it was going to be.  I'm very relieved that you succeeded with the time goal!  To go through that and miss would have made me feel terrible for having pushed you to it.

What made this race harder than the last one (where you missed your time only due to circumstance)?

• Not recovered from the last marathon?  I think there may have been some residual affects from the race 3 weeks ago but I couldn't know for sure, but I suspect there could have been.   My legs felt fine really.
  • The training between wasn't correct?  There was only one place I think I was off track for my training and that was the 15 mile run that turned into nearly 17 because my watch went funky again.  If anything on the training front it would have been hitting a 43 mile week one week after a marathon on my training base.
  • Course was harder?  Or weather?  The course was easier the second time around.  It was a really flat and fast course.  As far as the weather, it was much cooler at the start of the race on Saturday but I was pretty comfortable for the whole race.  I don't think there was a problem there.
  • Pacing?  This was the problem in my opinion.  As you'll find out from the RR, the pace group leader went out really fast and maintained a really hot pace for way to many miles.  We averaged a 7:17 for the first 15 miles!  Way to hot!!  I backed things down myself around the 14 mile mark but I think it was a bit too late to be able to recover. 

I know I'm jumping the gun here.  Your race report may answer all this.

And the Race Report is up BTW.

As far as if I hadn't made it to my goal, that would have been my responsibility.  I was considering it and you laid out what you thought would work.  I went with the consensus of what the group thought I had the capability of doing and I ran with it (pun intended).  It would have been no other persons fault if I missed the objective, but my own.  I chose to go the extra mile (more intentional pun) and shoot for another race.

I also was very confident that I was going to be hurting much worse at the end of this race than I did in Columbus.  As a matter of fact I told my wife I was going to "kill myself tomorrow" because I wasn't going to miss this one unless I just couldn't finish.  (And I believe I was VERY close to that threshold as proven by my collapse at the end of the race.)

Very simply put, I am extremely grateful for the advice and support I have gotten from all of you within this mentor group!  Thanks go out to all of you!

Edited by DirkP 2011-11-07 1:19 PM
2011-11-08 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

After three days of cycling and running in a row, I think I feel what you call "fatigue" in my legs.  Is it even possible to get fatigue from all easy workouts?  Not quite sure...but pretty sure.

Crap...I better think about swimming again sometime.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2011-11-08 12:16 PM
2011-11-08 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3894258

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2011-11-08 12:13 PM

After three days of cycling and running in a row, I think I feel what you call "fatigue" in my legs.  Is it even possible to get fatigue from all easy workouts?  Not quite sure...but pretty sure.

Crap...I better think about swimming again sometime.

Yes it is...do you need to ride every day?  If you skip a day of riding, you will possibly beat the fatigue right there. 

And eat more.  That helps.

Or persevere and hope your body adapts without injury!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64