Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-02-27 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
Sorry group for being awal, a quick trip up to my hometown turned into dinner and too many drinks with old friends.  Getting home at 3am was not in the plans.  Oh well I got my run in yesterday (cut other workout off) and did a killer workout today not feeling too well.

Tim awsome job on the run but that seems like a lot of liquid, was it slushing around in your stomach?  That is similar to what I drink for a 95deg IM and I am a VERY heavy sweater.  Keep playing with it and you will be fine.

2011-02-27 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Tim - NICE run! Great job.

KC - Hope you feel better soon.

Dave - Sounds like you caught one of those 'hangover' virus'? Wink

Ok, So given Tim's long run of 19 miles, my news seems a little underwhelming haha..

My goal, if I pushed today was 9:30 pace for the 3 mile race. That would have been my fastest to date.

My official time - 27:52......That's 9:18 min mile!! To say I am thrilled is kind of an understatement - I am tickled pink Laughing I know it's only a short race, but I'm still happy. Now I have to try and keep it for next weeks 4 miler.

Then I came home and did an hour and a half on the trainer as planned.
2011-02-28 6:14 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning.

Thanks Deb - decent nights sleep - feeling better and nice work yesterday.

Today, back in the pool and on the bike.

Have a great day everyone.

KC

2011-02-28 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3374807

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-27 9:03 PM Tim - NICE run! Great job.

Ok, So given Tim's long run of 19 miles, my news seems a little underwhelming haha..

My goal, if I pushed today was 9:30 pace for the 3 mile race. That would have been my fastest to date.

My official time - 27:52......That's 9:18 min mile!! To say I am thrilled is kind of an understatement - I am tickled pink Laughing I know it's only a short race, but I'm still happy. Now I have to try and keep it for next weeks 4 miler.

That is an awesome time!  Congratulations.  I would take it this early in the year.  The faster you are on the short runs, the faster you'll be on the long...

Testing over...results to come...my coach said they look very good for 6 months out.   I'll get a report soon and share it. 

Edited by IceManScott 2011-02-28 6:41 AM
2011-02-28 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Mass.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-27 10:03 PM Tim - NICE run! Great job.

Comgrats on the PR!  That's awesome!  Think of how much faster you would have been if it hadn't snowed.

Started taking protein powder a few weeks ago because I was loosing weight to fast (about 3 pounds a week).  I'm in Debs boat.  Weight is staying the same (which is fine), but my clothes are getting looser.  Decided to really push it on the treadmill today.  I did 6 miles in 46:33 at 3% incline.  My best treadmill time yet!  My point is that since I started taking the powder, my weight is the same, still loosing fat (so lean muscle must be replacing it) and I can push the workouts hard!  So I recomend the protein powder instead of chocolate milk.
2011-02-28 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Mass.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-27 10:03 PM Tim - NICE run! Great job.

Comgrats on the PR!  That's awesome!  Think of how much faster you would have been if it hadn't snowed.

Started taking protein powder a few weeks ago because I was loosing weight to fast (about 3 pounds a week).  I'm in Debs boat.  Weight is staying the same (which is fine), but my clothes are getting looser.  Decided to really push it on the treadmill today.  I did 6 miles in 46:33 at 3% incline.  My best treadmill time yet!  My point is that since I started taking the powder, my weight is the same, still loosing fat (so lean muscle must be replacing it) and I can push the workouts hard!  So I recomend the protein powder instead of chocolate milk.

2011-02-28 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I just started using Whey Protein Power by Hammer too after serious workouts...before bed at the coach's recommmendation...lean muscle repair.
2011-02-28 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3374561

User image

Expert
I am also a heavy sweater and I am so concerned about being de-hydrated and sodium loss.  Even with all that fluid intake I still lost 4 pounds so I am thinking I didn't drink enough.  I had no trouble with stomach sloshing the fluids around.  My body processes fluids very quickly - When I drink beer and have more than 3 I am usually going to the bathroom after every beer.  I think I am just going to have to deal with bathroom issue.  I guess from a time standpoint I would rather stop to pee 1-2 times than bonk at mile 18 and walk the last 8 miles right?

My next long run is 21 miles so I am going to try and reduce the fluids (especially prior to run) and try more Gu's.  That Gatorade Prime seemed to work well.  Does anyone else use that? And Rob - I tried the Lemon Lime flavor this time.  I usually use the Tri-Berry.  I like the Lemon Lime though.

razorxp - 2011-02-27 5:33 PM Sorry group for being awal, a quick trip up to my hometown turned into dinner and too many drinks with old friends.  Getting home at 3am was not in the plans.  Oh well I got my run in yesterday (cut other workout off) and did a killer workout today not feeling too well.

Tim awsome job on the run but that seems like a lot of liquid, was it slushing around in your stomach?  That is similar to what I drink for a 95deg IM and I am a VERY heavy sweater.  Keep playing with it and you will be fine.

2011-02-28 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Deb - Great work on the PR.  I am sure that was a pleasant surprise!  You blew that 9:30 goal out of the water.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-27 9:03 PM Tim - NICE run! Great job.

2011-02-28 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Hey guys, I spent the weekend in Kansas City looking for a place to live so that's why I've been out of the loop last three days.  Just caught up on all the posts.  Good job on all the workouts.  Looking forward to getting back to work.  Supposed to bike and swim today.  Watching the kids so no outside ride today.
2011-02-28 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3375184

User image

Veteran
Mass.
IceManScott - 2011-02-28 9:40 AM I just started using Whey Protein Power by Hammer too after serious workouts...before bed at the coach's recommmendation...lean muscle repair.

Have you noticed a difference?  I take it after every run, bike ro swim and again at night.

2011-02-28 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Last week snow, tonight our town may be engulfed in water due to flooding.  I think we upset mother nature.

Deb, that is still Great news.  Remember we all are racing against ourselves.  Great job

KC how is the swimming coming?

Scott you seem to be tracking great for your IM, keep up the hard work

Tim have you ever done a sweat rate test? Do you weigh yourself before and after long runs (keep track of fluid drank)? Once I started doing that I was able to dial in my liquid needs much quicker.

2011-02-28 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3375947

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-02-28 3:32 PM Last week snow, tonight our town may be engulfed in water due to flooding.  I think we upset mother nature.

Deb, that is still Great news.  Remember we all are racing against ourselves.  Great job

Tim have you ever done a sweat rate test? Do you weigh yourself before and after long runs (keep track of fluid drank)? Once I started doing that I was able to dial in my liquid needs much quicker.

Hey Coach - funny you should ask - big thumbs down on the swim
2011-02-28 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3375956

User image

Veteran
Mass.
kcgolf - 2011-02-28 3:41 PM
razorxp - 2011-02-28 3:32 PM Last week snow, tonight our town may be engulfed in water due to flooding.  I think we upset mother nature.

Hey Coach - funny you should ask - big thumbs down on the swim

Do you at least see a little progress?
2011-02-28 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
I might be waxing a little philosophical here, but hey, when endurance training there's alot of time to think, right?

So for the Ironmen (gender-neutral term) in this group - Is it a "destination"?  I have a personal goal of an IM by the time I hit 45.  Hoping to clear that off my list next year.  But I foresee becoming a guy that does sprints and the occasional Oly after that.

I'm not asking if this is "right" or "wrong", but rather, what are everyone else's motivations behind going IM distance and why they repeat doing so.

And yeah, I realize that the reasons are various and sundry and they could very well fill a book.  Sorry if I derail the group but I thought it would be cool to get to the "why".
2011-02-28 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3376127

User image

Veteran
Mass.
I'm interested in knowing "why" to.  The more I think about the IM distance, the less I want to do one. Smile  Training time is just crazy sounding!!

2011-03-01 5:53 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
robburkett - 2011-02-28 4:57 PM I might be waxing a little philosophical here, but hey, when endurance training there's alot of time to think, right?

So for the Ironmen (gender-neutral term) in this group - Is it a "destination"?  I have a personal goal of an IM by the time I hit 45.  Hoping to clear that off my list next year.  But I foresee becoming a guy that does sprints and the occasional Oly after that.

I'm not asking if this is "right" or "wrong", but rather, what are everyone else's motivations behind going IM distance and why they repeat doing so.

And yeah, I realize that the reasons are various and sundry and they could very well fill a book.  Sorry if I derail the group but I thought it would be cool to get to the "why".

Good Morning Rob.
Without getting too philosophical, emotional or personal (which I could and may do with all of you except I don't want to bore you and I prefer you like me LOL Smile) , I think I want to do the IM at least once because I think I can.
KC 
2011-03-01 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3376795

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
kcgolf - 2011-03-01 5:53 AM
robburkett - 2011-02-28 4:57 PM I might be waxing a little philosophical here, but hey, when endurance training there's alot of time to think, right?

Good Morning Rob.
Without getting too philosophical, emotional or personal (which I could and may do with all of you except I don't want to bore you and I prefer you like me LOL Smile) , I think I want to do the IM at least once because I think I can.
KC 

+1 KC.  I was asked by someone why I want to do one.  I said "Because it's there.  But the same skewed logic does not apply to climbing Mount Everest!"

Edited by robburkett 2011-03-01 6:30 AM
2011-03-01 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robburkett - 2011-02-28 3:57 PM I might be waxing a little philosophical here, but hey, when endurance training there's alot of time to think, right?

I am adding a lot of things at once...yoga, rollers, and nutrition changes so is the whey working?  Don't know.  But I feel better than I did training last year for the half IM.  Muscles are less sore, more relaxed, supple but strong when I need them.  So I'm good with the whey and addeing nutrition before, during and aftrer the workout.

As for why I want to do a IM, that's a larger question.  I've been straight and sober 22 years, I was 400 pounds in 2005.  I beat cancer in 2006.   I lost the weight and now am a trim strong 200 at age 59.   So, the one thing that motivates me is to show others - recoverying alcohols/addicts, cancer survivors, fatties and baby boomers that they can lead active happy lives despite or even because of the challenges they face.  A half IM was pretty good.  A full IM will be a definite statement that positive changes can take you places you never imagined.  Sound mind, body and spirit is within the grasp of anyone no matter what with the help of God and some good coaching.  Besides, it keeps me out of trouble.  And I like the tattoo.  

2011-03-01 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3376824

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
robburkett - 2011-03-01 7:30 AM
kcgolf - 2011-03-01 5:53 AM

Good Morning Rob.
KC 

+1 KC.  I was asked by someone why I want to do one.  I said "Because it's there.  But the same skewed logic does not apply to climbing Mount Everest!"

Well I don't have Mt. Everest in my backyard either or I would LOL - but I have a pair of running shoes and a bike!
Have a great day Rob.

Edited by kcgolf 2011-03-01 7:51 AM
2011-03-01 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
hello everyone.  i have been busy this past weekend and i had a little food poisoning on top of that.  last time i eat mexican for a long time!

looks like everyone is doing great.  great job deb on your pr.  tim awesome-19miles- wow.

good question about why some want to do an IM.  i could write much on my reason why but i wont bore you.  basically- i dont want to look back and say "why didnt i try that?".  i did that once already in my life and i dont want to do it again.

i hope to get in a swim adn run today.  i still feel a little weak but need to get back at it.

2011-03-01 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Had a minor victory last night.  My tri in April was my very first tri last year.  It's a 400 yd pool swim so you have to estimate your time when you sign up.  I timed myself last night and I'm a 2:15 faster than I swam it last year so I'm pretty happy about that.  Anyway, thought I'd share. 

As far as the why, just to see if I can do it.  I'm always interested in what I can push myself to do.  I like the idea of pushing beyond what "most" people would do. And I'm interested in getting the tattoo as well, lol.  I'm not a tattoo person either but I might consider it if I do an IM.
2011-03-01 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3377152

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
cspreiter - 2011-03-01 10:34 AM Had a minor victory last night.  My tri in April was my very first tri last year.  It's a 400 yd pool swim so you have to estimate your time when you sign up.  I timed myself last night and I'm a 2:15 faster than I swam it last year so I'm pretty happy about that.  Anyway, thought I'd share. 

As far as the why, just to see if I can do it.  I'm always interested in what I can push myself to do.  I like the idea of pushing beyond what "most" people would do. And I'm interested in getting the tattoo as well, lol.  I'm not a tattoo person either but I might consider it if I do an IM.

Nice work Caleb - I am sure am looking forward to the day I can share a good news story about swimming - anyway - way to go!

What is the tattoo I have seen mentioned - does everyone do that after a IM?
2011-03-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3376863

User image

Expert
Great answer Scott - you are definitely an inspiring person.  I love your quote on your posts.  I think it sums it all up about your personality - "It's hard to be me, I just make it look easy."

Caleb - nice job on the swim improvement!

Jason - All my guys in my shop are Mexican and they warned me when I started working here that if you eat the Mexican food off the roach coach you will "eat it once, get sick twice"-haha.  Hope you are feeling better

As far as why I want to do Ironman - Ever since I was a little kid I would watch NBC broadcast and think it was unattainable.  After my first marathon I was gonna try triathlon (I actually still reference the Dave Scott "Triathlon Training" book I bought. Being young I didn't have the discipline.  Then I started doing marathons in my 30's and it became something that was still crazy yet not attainable.  Then I got into triathlon and tried a 70.3 (which also seemed crazy).  Now that is not so much a big deal and I know that Ironman is attainable.  It is a mental thing when you switch from the "normal" persons mentality of "you can finish that?" - to an Ironmans mentality of "how fast can I finish that?".  I think I made that switch last fall and I can not wait for Septemebr 2012.  I guess it just one of those lifetime goals/dreams and the bragging rights to say I can do it.

IceManScott - 2011-03-01 7:04 AM
robburkett - 2011-02-28 3:57 PM I might be waxing a little philosophical here, but hey, when endurance training there's alot of time to think, right?

I am adding a lot of things at once...yoga, rollers, and nutrition changes so is the whey working?  Don't know.  But I feel better than I did training last year for the half IM.  Muscles are less sore, more relaxed, supple but strong when I need them.  So I'm good with the whey and addeing nutrition before, during and aftrer the workout.

As for why I want to do a IM, that's a larger question.  I've been straight and sober 22 years, I was 400 pounds in 2005.  I beat cancer in 2006.   I lost the weight and now am a trim strong 200 at age 59.   So, the one thing that motivates me is to show others - recoverying alcohols/addicts, cancer survivors, fatties and baby boomers that they can lead active happy lives despite or even because of the challenges they face.  A half IM was pretty good.  A full IM will be a definite statement that positive changes can take you places you never imagined.  Sound mind, body and spirit is within the grasp of anyone no matter what with the help of God and some good coaching.  Besides, it keeps me out of trouble.  And I like the tattoo.  

2011-03-01 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3377197

User image

Expert
Haha - My wife thinks I am crazy because I mentioned this weekend what my tatoo will be when I do mine next September.  I think she has started to just tune me out!  I have plenty of time to design it but I am going to do the M-dot holding a Les Paul guitar. 

kcgolf - 2011-03-01 9:59 AM
cspreiter - 2011-03-01 10:34 AM Had a minor victory last night.  My tri in April was my very first tri last year.  It's a 400 yd pool swim so you have to estimate your time when you sign up.  I timed myself last night and I'm a 2:15 faster than I swam it last year so I'm pretty happy about that.  Anyway, thought I'd share. 

Nice work Caleb - I am sure am looking forward to the day I can share a good news story about swimming - anyway - way to go!

What is the tattoo I have seen mentioned - does everyone do that after a IM?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76