BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-10-26 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3738135

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

JK -

Not only will the sodium not hurt, but just having "real" food on board makes some sort of difference. I can only handle so much gel'n'drink, and then my system either wants to shut down or is begging for something solid.

I'm sure I've mentioned this here before, but if not, here goes. Clif Mojo bars are THE best race-day food for me. They have three flavors, and all of them feature the "sweet and salty" concept -- and it really works. They are a combination of prtezels and nuts and sweet stuff and other things, and they don't come across as dense as regluar Clif bars do, or as any other specially-formulated energy bar does. I have never found them up here in Canada (regular Cilf, yes; Clif Mojo, no), and I found them most reliably at Eastern Mountain Sports stores. I don't think this will help you now, but if you have any vacant brain cells -- ones that aren't crammed with B2B thoughts, that is! -- store this info there for future use.

It must be a typo, for next year's race? Is it someone just forgetting that '11 hasn't ended yet.....or for whom '12 is a particularly eventful year? Or, maybe, they really are already working on making the 2012 B2B the best ever!

I'm hoping the swim is fairly calm for you (and everybody). I think it might be, given a channel in which to spread out, and a current that some people will ride really well and remove themselves very quickly from the pack-at-large. Some people really do do this extremely well, and I work at it whenever I can. Anyhow, here's hoping the swim is mellowish!

In support of your timer, one of the best traithletes I know uses hers on irons and half-irons, and she sticks to it religiously and it works great for her. She also gets her fueling protocol down on paper and studies it, much as you seem to be doing, and I hope your timing plan works as well for you as her system works for her. I will channel Lisa's planning skills your way, asap!

As in any sport, some refs can see "intent", while others are just martinets, real sticklers to the rules. I'm sure some refs have seen soemone fumble a water bottle, or see one get "launched", and have let it go because the rider did not blatantly throw it into the bushes or onto someone's front lawn. But others just follow the rule - "abandonment of equipment" - to the letter, and there lies the penalty.

I have received two penalties (drafting; position) in my life, and I wish the ref in both cases had determined that there was no intent to cheat on my part. Harumph.

If you haven't tried HEED before, be careful trying it for the first time at B2B. For my money it is far more palatable than Gatorade, at least in terms of being far less cloyingly sweet than G'ade. If your gut has handled G'ade in the past, you might want to use that and just dilute it some so the sweetness doesn't mess with your stomach or your head.

Are you heading down tomorrow, or is it an early departure on Friday morning? The meeting should really help, assuming it's put on by a knowledgable person, and that the questions are good ones. I normally have zero tolerance for stuff like that, with a presentation followed by questions, but for some reason I always enjoy that scenario before races. There's a lot of big energy in the room, and the whole thing sees alive and vibrant. Wheeee!

Keep in touch as best you can!

2011-10-26 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Steve,

Not sure where everyone went, I guess everyone is on their post season break. Well the third water bottle dilimma has been solved.  I snapped the screw off when I was trying to break the screw loose that holds the water cage.  I guess it is the original screw and has never been removed for a cage and it just didn't want to come out.   So back to the original plan of perpetum.  I have used this in my first HIM and have used it on training rides.  I just have to be careful not to rely on it vice water so filling up the areo bottle will be key. 

I will head out of town on Friday am and plan on arriving at 1300 and then attend the 1400 meeting.  Tomorrow will be a full massage and that is about it. This head cold is not going away and I did a short intense bike last night which I thought would clear things up.  There is a reason I am not a doctor.  So tonight and tomorrow will be R&R and I will probably get a short run in on Friday.  Not the best taper plan but you work with the hand your dealt. 

On the swim I plan to hold back a bit and let the fast group take off. I typically like to warm up the first 300 yds or so prior to getting into my pace.  That allows the pack to thin so there is usually a little less bumping and grinding.  There is only one turn in the channel so that should also keep the pack from bunching up since we are not all focused on an orange bouy for a turn point.   I fully anticipate the fast swimmers from the last 2 waves to catch up but I do not think we should be that packed in with the bulk of the racers in the earlier waves.  T1 should also be fairly empty.

For the bike I will be putting an old long sleeve shirt in my change bag and if needed I will put it on and then lose it at the first water stop.  Still debating between that and the sleeve warmers and ziploc bag strategy.  The one lady I ride with occassionally is also racing, however, she is like you and the closer it is to 50F the better.  Brrrr.

I am looking forward to the crowds and the karma.  Should be a fun experience. I will keep you posted.....

JK

2011-10-26 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3739683

User image

Champion

JK -

I made it through the huge athlete's guide, and I am buoyed by the number of waves for the half-iron. Even though it is a biggish race in terms of participants, they have done a really good job of keeping the waves as small as possible -- like, several male waves in only 5-year age groups. AND, the five-minuite spacing of the waves should reduce congestion even further. Double goodness?

Which wave are you in, anyhow? I have forgotten your age, and also whether you've said that, at times, you have gone Clyde. I was also pleased to see tthat there is live coverage; more goodness! And are you the Joe whose last name begins with Kas? (There are only two Joe K type in the HIM.)

As I read the info on T1, it sounds like you have the option of using the tent, if you decide to do a change. I know you won't have to use it if you are just layering on top of what you swim in, or bike in at T2. And's it really much better to have your stuiff at your bike rather than on a big rack somewhere, where there is always the chance that it wil be misplaced, or misfiled, or some similar calamity.

Are you parking running shoes at the swim exit (is this even an option?)? That's a pretty good run to T1, so shoes might be handy. I've had a few long runs in my time, certainly at NYC and at Chicago. I didn't use shoes at either, but opted to at a race in DE where flooding had re-routed the run to T1 to about half a mile; I was glad I had them there. If you go with shoes at the swim exit, remember to (a) BodyGlide your feet before the swim (much of the BG will still be there post-swim), and (b) use BG on the back "collar" of the shoes, and also anywhere on the insides where there might be "hot spots". You sure don't want to start the actual run leg with incipient blisters from the run into T1!

Good plan to break into the swim slowly, and a benefit for you doing that might be that you'll get a sense of how to work WITH the current. NYC Tri has a killer current, and as hard as it is to believe this, the first time I did it in '05 I had a swim just slightly faster than my normal time for an oly. A big part of that was NOT working with the current, and it cost me dearly. On my return to NYCT in '09, I allowed the current to have its way with me, and my swim time was 19-something -- about ELEVEN minutes faster than my normal oly swim time. (And it's a carved-in-stone swim course, a perfect 1500 and with no variance from year to year to year.)

Of course, having that sweet incoming tide at B2B is what enables them to practically promise real fast swims, but the best of those will be for people who let the current do much of the work. I like to think part of letting a current help comes from adjusting my roll to sort of "pulse" with it; yeah, i know that doesn't make sense. I guess ya gotta be there --- and you will, in just a few days!!

Tough luck on the bottle cage, but take heart that many people go with two bottles, anyhow. It just adds incentive to using those aid stations!

I'm trying to channel my Inner Healer to vanquish your cold once and for all; that and my patented mojo ought to do the trick!

2011-10-26 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Hi guys,

I've been taking a break - just running a little. AND EATING.

Looks like I checked back in just in time to stalk Joe.

Good luck Joe!!!!!!

Denise

2011-10-27 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3739776

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
LadyNorth - 2011-10-26 9:53 PM

I've been taking a break - just running a little. AND EATING.

EATING.... now that is one thing that I'm good at  (not)

Speaking of eating.  I recently listened to a interview with Bob Seebohar on IMTalk.  Really, really, interesting stuff on metobolic efficiency (buring fat versus burning glycogen (carbs)).  On this thread we have talked a lot about race day nutrition.  Bob talks how about an everyday nutritional plan that makes you more efficient and less likely to experience GI distress while racing.  For those of you interested:

http://www.imtalk.me/home/2011/4/25/imtalk-episode-259b-bob-seebohar.html

Starts about 45 min. into the overall podcast.

2011-10-29 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3739776

User image

Champion

DENISE -

You're still around! YIPPEE!!!

Any luck tracking JK yet today? It's 11:43 and he shoulda been outta the watta by now....but then I haven't found results for anyone. Rats.

Eating, are you? I'm not trrying to eat more, but my weight is climbing back to --- wherever it ends up. By Sept it had gotten down to 165 or so, and it maybe hit that even ralier. Nowadays, it's more like 167/168, and if I eat like a pig on a given evening........

I don't know what I'm ready to "accept", or even work towards. I guess at an absolute I want to stay under 175, and probably 173 would be better.

Any key races for you for next season??

Keep in touch, between forkloads, okay? You were conspicuous in your absence!

2011-10-29 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3740803

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Thanks for that link, which I might even be able to access with ease as we are on the cusp of being high-speed! We got one of those antenna thingies, and it's been hooked up, and we are oh-so-close, but still having some glitches.

Over the years I have not subjected myself to very many computer features that require big downloads, or whatever the correct terms is. Things like videos are killers for me, so I never bother with them. But now, there is a new day dawning! (Maybe.....)

Edited by stevebradley 2011-10-29 10:52 AM
2011-10-29 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
1052JosephKasperski51Master Clydesdale   
Time of RaceSegment NameSegment Time
00:00:00T2 
09:40:58Swim35:58
09:46:55T15:58
2011-10-29 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

I just got back from a Monster Dash 5k.  I was happy with my time considering I was running in costume.  Not great time - but ok - it was mostly for fun - I won a hoodie door prize.

Denise

2011-10-29 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
13:01:39Bike3:14:44
13:05:24T23:45
2011-10-29 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3743610

User image

Champion

DENISE -

You know, I don't care about your time and I don't care about the hoodie --- all I care about is what you were dressed as!

2011-10-29 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

(IMG_0005a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0005a.jpg (80KB - 15 downloads)
2011-10-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3743621

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

Yes! I saw those numbers, and I'm sure he'll be pleased.

I expected a faster swim than he figured for himself -- just as long as the tidal current was flowing correctly. Last year there was some goof-up (I think tidal tables were read wrong when the date was selected), and there was NO advantage that day. This was an inconvenient disappointment at the least, and for the full iron folks it was devastating for some, who had a very long swim in very cold waters. So, that was why it was a few weeks earlier this year than last, just to minimize the cold water factor. As for picking a date at which early-morning currents would be optimal ---- I'm sure that was checked by a team of persons!

I am using our new high-speed connection to look at those results. Normally, the website for Set-Up Events (of which B2B is part) is terribly slow for me, so it is amazing how quickly it is all proceeding. I now have to try this on other tough-to-connect-to-with-dial-up sites, and bask in my newfound speed. And then, I have to figure out how to apply that logic to my swimming!!

Finally, I got a pool pass for thr next three months. Have you changed your own mind about pool swimming? I don't really harbor any illusions about what I do helping my speed; mostly, I guess, it's just to keep active. I generally love the activity of swimming, and I have a few acquaintances at the pool with whom it is nice to yabber with, and then there is the sauna, which I only just starter using. ANYHOW, I'm back at the pool now!

GO, JOE!!!!

2011-10-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3743628

User image

Champion

DENISE once more!

Mercy!

Thanks for that -- a picture is worth a thousand words! Moreover, when you're dolled-up as a witch (that's an oxymoronic concept, I think), you just positively cannot expect fast running times. Heck, you did great just to finish, dressed witchily as you were!

(Now about that red-walled room in the background.......??)

2011-10-29 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Go Joe!  On the last leg and doing great

13:01:39Bike3:14:44
13:05:24T23:45
14:21:20Split 6.551:15:56
2011-10-29 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

I'm so happy you've got high speed - you will be happy with it, I'm sure.

Hey, I finished 35/102 overall - not too shabby.  I didn't win my age group because of that darned (kidding) Kathy Peterson.  She's 68 and she finished 19/102 overall.  She's a real speed demon and has a lot of age group records in our state.  Unfortunately (kidding) she lives not far from me so we end up doing a lot of the same races.  But - she doesn't do triathlons.

The red room is our hallway.  About 4 years ago, my husband was off sailing across the Atlantic with his brother and another guy for 4 weeks and I painted the living room and hall poppy red.

2011-10-29 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3743672

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Not too shabby at all! Did Kathy P go dressed as anything other than a runner? I figure every 8oz of extra clothing beyond The Basics counts for about 17 extra seconds in one's time. (Care to do the math on that?)

Poppy red is a good color. Had he been gone for longer, though, what changes might he have returned to? Cathedral ceilings? Flying buttresses? Gargoyles on the eavestroughing?

Even though we seemed to be connected on Tuesday, there were glitches. That was solved on Wednesday, but beyond that we weren't sure we like the new monitor; we need to fuss with the resolution, I think.

Today's main challenge was the router, and Lynn battled thorugh that successfully,; she is braver than i am. Finally, there was working through out new email account, which is now set up.....but we still have to figure out how how to notify anyone. That should take a few more days, and then we divorce ourselves from our old dial-up system. It worked well over the years, however, and were it not for Lynn's iniative, I would've been content to keep it rather than go through the sheer horror of all that's involved in switching.

But here we are ---- and it is definitely ONWARDS!!!

And as for JK, he must be getting close to the finish by now. Halleloo!!!!

2011-10-30 6:49 AM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Hey All.... It is finished. YEA!!!!!

Overall I am happy with my race, disappointed with the time if that makes since, mainly the last 3 miles of the run I just died.  My half way split at the run was 11 min/ mile which was my target but the second half I just lost my umph.  But I digress.

Race conditions: 50F overcast/20-25 mph north wind/ water temp 69 with the fastest current they ever had for the race.  Peak incoming tide was at 0700 my wave start was 0905.  Organization for the race was fantastic for over 1830 athletes with 1100 or so being HIMs and over 1000 volunteers to support us all. 

Swim Leg:  The swim was aone way channel swim with tide and a dog leg left turn at about the half way mark.  Visibility was poor especially for a guy that does not wear contacts when he races.  Current pushed you to the right, generally away from the turn bouy.  So using all my natical tatics I naturally planned to stay on the far left side of the sight bouys and get pushed into the turn bouy.  Expect for the moored boat I almost collided with I guess it wasn't to bad of a strategy.  At start the line I had picked a line that was to stay right of the moored boat and in line with a white bldg roof and turn buoy.  Well I went too far left and had to do a hard right unless I wanted to get flattened against a side of a boat which was coming up way to fast.  I think I got with in 10 feet of the side of the boat.  I got away from it and then resighted on the bouy.  When I resighted the bouy was only 50-100 yds or so away so I resumed my swim.  However the next time the I sighted I passed the bouy  by about 20 yds.  Big lesson learned is to sight more frequently with a strong current. I did not fully realize how much the current pushes you.  Swim exit went well with a 400 yd run into T1.  With this long of a run I used my wife's aqua socks which paid off well.  I had the stripper take my wet suit down to waist upon exit and priot to the run to T1, but I think next time I will have them pull it all the way off and just carry it.  Through the showers and essentially a fast jog to T1.

T1 bike was located in the best location between the swim entrance and bike exit on the front side.  I did finish stripping off my wet suit off however I did not take the water socks off.  Lost a little bit of time there with fiddling.  I did layer a long sleeve shirt over my tri suit and pulled on my regular bike shorts.  I put my arm sleeves on my tri bars in case of extra warmth.  I used my full finger gloves and put them on prior to my helmet which made fastening the helment a bit tough. Another lesson learned.  Left T1 with one areo water bottle and a bottle of perpetum and a low heart rate.

Bike Leg- As soon as you left T1 we were met with a strong cold wind in our face that did not let up until mile 35-40.  It was cold.  The course kept us on the main roads and we had dedicated lanes for us the whole course. Really nice.   At the pre race meeting they encouraged everyone to stay on the road and off the shoulder to minimize flats and debris.  At about mile 10 or so we went out on Interstate 40 in the left lane for about 14 miles. This was the toughest leg.  It started drizzling and we were right into the wind.  It was cold.  Race rumor was that 3 people suffered from hypotherma on the bike leg. Getting off the highway was a bit cramped also since we had to share the ramp with the cars.  We had a coned path for about a mile or so that allowed no passing so I slowed the for the rider in front of me who set the pace for a bit and I took in some nutrition.  Finally at the 35 or so mile mark we turned and were with the wind.  Yea Yea Yea. Average speed on this leg was easily 22-24 mph without going all out.  It was fun and it was also finally starting to warm up.  Nutrition intake was good with 1 gel 30 minutes into the ride and consuming one power bar throughout the ride.  I had broke the power bars up into 6 segments and covered them with powder sugar to keep them from sticking together since that is what they tended to do in training.  Of course it was a lot warmer when I trained and bar was alot softer.  By the end of the ride my jesey and gloves were coated in powder sugar though. I did refill my areo bottle at each water stop and only missed one bottle.  Oops.  The perpetum I only occassionally sipped but I do not think I got more than a quarter of it down and that was more towards the end of the ride when I wanted to get off solids.  And alas, my zen pretezels got crushed in my change bag.  I had put everthing in my T1 change bag to carry it over in the morning not even thinking about the pretezels. 

T2 was a little different layout for me but well organized.  You dismounted handed your bike off and "ran" about 25 yds to get your change bag and then headed into the change tent.  Going 25 yds in bike shoes on gravel was a bit unique but it went well. Change tent was organized with plenty of chairs.  Stripped off my outer garments and went back to my tri suit however I forgot to remove my bike shorts.  Oh well.  Sorta like running in a diaper. 

Heading out of T2 you go about a .25 miles and then you are met with a nice steep bridge.  I decided up front I would walk up most of the hills so I started my run a little bit slow.  On the back side of the bridge it felt like my gel lifts slide forward so I stopped and readjusted my lifts.  Then shortly afterwards there is a draw bridge which is interesting to run across the grating looking down at the water.  Again it felt like my lifts had slide forward so I stopped and checked again.  By this time I was getting into down town which is a great run.  Again my lifts felt like they had slipped, however, I decided I was dealing with a mid foot cramp or something and figured it would either work itself out or make itself really known.  Luckily, whatever it was it went away.  Chances are it was just the blood and feeling returning to my feet.Laughing  Running through historic downtown Wilmington was great.  Spectator support was great and we even had a few "pirates" come out to cheer us on.  The run then left downtown and after about 2 miles we found ourselves running through a senic park.  For faster runners this might of been a little fustrating since we were on the walking path of the park that had a few twists and turns.  At the halfway turn around I looked at my watch and I believe I was at 1 hr 10 min ( my watch is packed so I am relying on memory).  However, I felt good. Running between the water stops and walking through the water stops taking in water.  At about mile 5 I started consuming 1-2 gu chomps each mile.  Things were going great until mile 9-10 then I just could not sustain a run.  Up until this point my heart rate was my limiting factor for my run pace which I kept between 150-155.  But after mile 10 I just could not maintain a run and my heart rate barely hit 150.  And then when I was faced with the bridges in the last 2 miles heading back into the wind.  Well there was alot more walking than running at this point.  I did make it back into the finish area which wrapped around the transition area and the tents and every which way.  It was a little fustrating with all the last minute turns and you are hoping with each turn you will see the chute but you end up seeing another turn.  Sorta like being in a corn maze.  But I did find it and quickly found the warming tent since it was cold once you stopped moving.  Hindsight tells me I think I need to have more training runs the full distance of the race.  I am starting to ponder though if it might of been nutrition also.  I will have to give this some more thought.  

What was really impressive is getting passed by the lead IM guys and gals.  Holy cow, my 50 yd sprint couldn't meet their pace plus after a 112 mile bike.  The lead male passed me about mile 5 or so and the lead female around mile 8.  It was amazing to watch them go.  Then I was heading in the rest of the IM'ers were starting their run looking like they were just starting their morning run all nice and fresh and smiling.  Amazing.

Well time to finish packing and thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.  I will catch up on the posts once I return home. Steve,  thanks for all your insights.

JK

2011-10-30 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Impressive race Joe.  Well done and congrat's on the finish.
2011-10-30 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3743627

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

LadyNorth - 2011-10-29 2:52 PM

Nice picture Denise.  I see your still sporting your GPS/HRM/Watch.  Once a triathlete, always a triathlete, no matter the dress!!

Edited by junthank 2011-10-30 9:27 AM
2011-10-30 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Steve has some highspeed bandwidth now.  He's never going to go back!!!

2011-10-30 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3744052

User image

Champion

JK -

FABULOUS report, and fully worthy of what looked to me, throughout the day, an overall very fine first half -iron. I hope you are feeling really good about it, even while acknowledging that there are spots that coulda been better for you. That's a way of saying that I completely understand how you could be happy with the race while still somewhat disappointed with the time. Been there, done that!

As for the less-important items: I love a few images, such as being caoted with powdered sugar, and running in diapers, and working through a corn maze. Ha! Thanks for those!

SWIM
You had a good navigational plan, and as I read it, it mostly worked. I really think that even highly experienced triathletes can incorrectly "read" currents, or at least under- or over-estimate their flow and rhythm. You may have been bamboozled a couple of times, but mostly you seemed to have held your course quite well. As for the boat, well, do enough races and you'll be surprised at how many things you bump into or narrowly avoid doing so. I have had close encounters with all sorts of items, so probably don't plan on that moored boat being your first and last.

T1
I have had this discussion/argument before on forums -- when to remove the wetsuit when the run from the water is long. I will start by saying I have never had my wetsuit stripped from me, but that's because I feel that (a) I can do it almost as quickly myself, and (b) it is far easier for me to run in the wetsuit, as opposed to carrying it under one arm and thius not having that arm with which to pump and balance/propel my stride. But some people really want it off asap, and I guess that works for them. But years ago i did two trial runs of a couple hundred meters each -- one while wearing the wetsuit, one while carying it, and my run time was faster when I was wearing it. So, seeing as how the wetsuit has to be removed somewhere, i just prefer to do at my bike. What I do do, though, is take time to start the disrobing process, but with my DeSoto two-piece that is usually just the unzipping. Peanuts.
Yup. lesson learned about when to put on your helmet relative to the gloves, but mostly the good news from your T1 is exiting it with a low heart rate. Excellent!!

BIKE
Sounds tough, one to challenge my habit of staying minimal. It is always a bit scary to hear that people may have gone hypothermic, just because I wonder how that happened to them and not to me; it makes me feel as if my own escape was very narrow. But you were very well protected, it sounds, what with a long-sleeve top, a couple of layers from the waist to the knees, the gloves, and the arm-warmers for back-up. And, you didn't get hypothermic!!
Lousy wind on top of it all; argh! But it sure must've been sweet to get that tailwind -- almost enough to make you forget the preceding suffering! It was also nice to have to option of staying in the road, as opposed to the more debris-laden shoulders. I guess when they say "little traffic", they mean it!
The powdered sugar idea is a great one, one I haven't heard of before. As for the mess of the sugar, though, well, that's fairly small compared to other messes you'll make over the years. The biggest one for me is from gels gone rogue, meaning they have splattered all over me. face? Neck? Top? Legs? I've worn gels in all thsoe places, many times over! One other -- taking two cups at an aid station, the energy one to drink and the other to douse with.....and dousing with the energy drink by mistake. But once! Only once have I done that! (Honest!)

I'm posting this now, and will continue in the next post. I just almost lost this, so want to avoid that at all costs!

2011-10-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3744052

User image

Champion

JK again -

BIKE (continued)
It might've been good to get down more of the Perpetuem, and what you did was a page from my own HIM book -- that is, underfule on the bike. Now, i know this topic was kind of a double-edged sword for you, as you know what happened from over-fueling a few months ago, and I think overall you errred on the side of caution this time. The fact that you got a good bit of solids down the hatch suggest that you probably did okay; am I reading more than one power bar? Just one would be good, and anything beyond that would be slightly better -- within limits, of course!
Too bad about the zen pretzels. I've done it with having them (smaller ones) looped on my aerobottle straw, but in the drizzle they would've eroded away before too long anyhow. Snif.

T2
Good one -- except for not weaning yourself from the diaper! I have only had one or two races with the bike-drop-off system, and it is kind of nice. It helps to be able to leave your shoes in the pedals and run barefoot or socked-feet, but I do that always, anyhiow, so it's second-nature for me. How much of you mind was trying to compel your body to JUST...STAY...ON...THE...CHAIR??

RUN
Ya done good, I think. Running has been neither your love nor your strength, but in spite of those you hung in there really well. That bridge, though -- not for prople with vertigo! Oh, my! As for the feeling that your lifts were slipping, I think that sort iof sensatuion is very common. I honestly cannot tell you the number of times in races that I have felt that something was either in my shoe or stuck in the grooves at the bottom of it, when in actulaity it was just some absence of, or enhanced feeling of, full sensation in my foot. And as with you, in time it gets better. (Thank god for small mercies, eh?)
Good work on taking in the Chomps; any energy drinks at all, or just the water? If just water, was that because your system couldn't handle the prospect of energy drinks?
I ask that because it might be closely linked to the fact that you couldn't run, even though your HR was not spiking (that is, no "cardiac creep"). You don't mention cramps, so it seems to come down to hitting the wall, or bonking. That could be nutrition (as in not enough), or not enough long runs in training (as you mention), or some combination of the two. Factor in the cumulative exertion up to that point, and your body really was in terra incognita (and you thought it was in Wilmington, NC!!) by the time you got to mile 10 of the run. And in my experience, even something like that sweet tailwind in the last half of the bike doesn't remove any of the tough effort of the first half. At best, it just means that you exert less than the worst-case scenario would create -- but the damage is still done from having to work harder than desired on the bike.
Really, this type of problematic questioning can take a long time to answer or resolve, meaning the school of hrad knocks that comes from many races and much experimenting. At the very least, you made it through B2B without getting sickish, so you have some boundaries for a nutritional protocolm, and now it';s time to begin working inwards from both edges.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Just that a post on the main forum mentioned the killer-fast times of the best IMers, and they really were impressive; I can see why you viewed them with awe.
But that's them, and as for you --- you had a plan, you kept to it, you were patient with your time, and you had a great experience at your first half-iron. You seem to stay very calm and focused under pressure and uncertainty, and that will really, realy, really help you if you decide to continue doing longer-distance races. You also seem highly-organized, so as a kind of cherry-on-top to that, take a bit of time to write the more hidden stuff down somehwer. i'm thinking of what you ate and drank, both yesterday and for a few days leading up to the race, and maybe your HR info, and reflections on what your wore --- and if there are any quick thoughts as to what you wish you had done differently.
Finally, be nice to yourself for a few days. NO workouts, other than maybe a wee swim. Eta whjat you want when you want it, and be on the lookout for DOMD (delayed onset muscle soreness. this will get you about 24-36 hours post-race, and may make you hobble (crawl??) for a day or two, and then it will go away and you'll be fully upright and mobile again. For true!

2011-10-30 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3744138

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Well, maybe. Last night we had trouble sending emails, and this morning we couldn't get an internet connection. I called Xplornet and they quickly helped with the connection, but LITERALY a two-hour back-and-forth check of systems and passwords failed to solve the send problem. We are now no further ahead with that, and have no clear path to get it resolved. I guess we have some options of people to call, but I think it will end up being a computer geek coming out from the city and charging an arm and a leg to do so. Sigh. Either that, or go to the guy who heloped us get set up....but he is impatient with fools such as I. Again - sigh.

Admittedly, though, it is nice to get quick access to sites that are usually painfully slow for dial-up, so i guess in time it will all be good. But for now, it's still fraught with worry and fear and incompletion. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

Edited by stevebradley 2011-10-30 10:27 AM
2011-10-30 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3744216

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-10-30 11:27 AM JEFF - Well, maybe. Last night we had trouble sending emails, and this morning we couldn't get an internet connection. I called Xplornet and they quickly helped with the connection, but LITERALY a two-hour back-and-forth check of systems and passwords failed to solve the send problem. We are now no further ahead with that, and have no clear path to get it resolved. I guess we have some options of people to call, but I think it will end up being a computer geek coming out from the city and charging an arm and a leg to do so. Sigh. Either that, or go to the guy who heloped us get set up....but he is impatient with fools such as I. Again - sigh. Admittedly, though, it is nice to get quick access to sites that are usually painfully slow for dial-up, so i guess in time it will all be good. But for now, it's still fraught with worry and fear and incompletion. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

Bummer.  I hope everything gets resolved with your email sending problems. 

BTW: I just purchased my wife an iPad2 for her birthday.  It's a nice piece of equipment.  She really wanted it so she could do Facetime with the kids and grandbaby which we tested out last night.  It's a sweet application that allows us to get realtime video/audio.  So we watched the grandbaby run around in his bedroom and get a bath last night.

My wife managed to get WiFi up and rolling in seconds, had her personal and business emails on the Ipad in less than 10 mintues, sync'ed her Outlook contacts on the PC with the iPad, and had her pictures and iTunes music on the iPad in minutes.  She is diffently not technical.  Apple just makes it so easy.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57