Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-03-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
Tim the sun is such a mood booster.  I cannot wait until daylight savings is over in a week or so.  So nice to come home and have it light still.

Back on the spin bike tonight and felt pretty good, rest of my body still alittle sore from sandbags.  That is one heck of a good workout and great core work.  I kind of miss my days in manual labor, got paid to workout.

2011-03-02 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Computrainer tonight. I'm hoping at some point this is going to pay off. I bust my a$$ on that thing and came in at a measly 14mph!!!! Seriously? I can NOT wait to get outside and cycle. Also, I tried getting my bike computer mounted last night so I could see how far I go each time I use my trainer. No joy. I can't get the mount to read. I must be doing something wrong. Are some computers not able to rear mount?

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Echo

Edited by cheekymonkeys1 2011-03-02 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Echo.

Edited by cheekymonkeys1 2011-03-02 9:17 PM
2011-03-03 5:53 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Hi Everyone. 

I am so hating this back right now.  I am smartly resting and getting it back healthy, but I want to be out training.  It looks like everyone is doing great.  Keep it up.

My back is now at a place that I am going to be getting back into training.  My plan, any input is welcomed, is to go at half times for two weeks on just the run and bike and then add the swim.  Sound OK?

As for why I am doing this....  My job is stressful, I am a police officer.  Add to that my soul mate and wife has was diagnosed with a chronic medical disorder that effects her daily about 7 years ago.  So about three years ago I stopped smoking and wanted to do better for all of us by taking better care of me.  I started walking or riding a bicycle to work.  Then three years ago my city hosted a 70.3 and I was hooked.  I am hoping to compete in that race in 2012.  After that I will try an IM.  The sky is the limit
2011-03-03 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3380514

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
ltcsh1 - 2011-03-03 6:53 AM Hi Everyone. 

I am so hating this back right now.  I am smartly resting and getting it back healthy, but I want to be out training.  It looks like everyone is doing great.  Keep it up.

My back is now at a place that I am going to be getting back into training.  My plan, any input is welcomed, is to go at half times for two weeks on just the run and bike and then add the swim.  Sound OK?

As for why I am doing this....  My job is stressful, I am a police officer.  Add to that my soul mate and wife has was diagnosed with a chronic medical disorder that effects her daily about 7 years ago.  So about three years ago I stopped smoking and wanted to do better for all of us by taking better care of me.  I started walking or riding a bicycle to work.  Then three years ago my city hosted a 70.3 and I was hooked.  I am hoping to compete in that race in 2012.  After that I will try an IM.  The sky is the limit

Great Goals - we are with you! It sounds like your plan to get back to training is a smart one. I had a neck injury late last summer that seriously lingered for about 4 and a half months. I am still actually doing specific physio work for it even now. Take your time, listen to  your body and build yourself back up slowly.

The last think I want to say is "Thanks" for what you do. My brother is a police officer and I know that job is very stressfull - so thanks for serving your community!

Good luck.

KC

2011-03-03 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3380244

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-03-02 9:16 PM Computrainer tonight. I'm hoping at some point this is going to pay off. I bust my a$$ on that thing and came in at a measly 14mph!!!! Seriously? I can NOT wait to get outside and cycle. Also, I tried getting my bike computer mounted last night so I could see how far I go each time I use my trainer. No joy. I can't get the mount to read. I must be doing something wrong. Are some computers not able to rear mount?

Having trouble understanding here.  The CT will log total miles if thats what you want.  Go to the set up menu.  I think its just a check mark.  No?  What's more important than miles is ave watts.  That is the measure off of which all workouts are measured.  Is your cyclometer wired?  If not, it may be too far from the sensor.  Of so, I would check the magnet and make sure it is attached to the spokes so it travels in front of the sensor.  Email me at [email protected].  I am far from an expert but maybe we can figure it out.  

2011-03-03 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
ltcsh1 - 2011-03-03 5:53 AM Hi Everyone. 

Great goals.  I feel your pain.  Bad back injury from 35 yerars ago was a killer until I worked with a chiro practor first once a week, then once every 2, now every month.  Pain is gone 95% of the time which is a miracle.  

2011-03-03 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

Hard to say what I would recommend unless I were in your shoes/knew more about your back problems.  Can you sit on a bike comfortably and keep your endurance training up that way?  Is running too jarring for your back issue? Since your weight is supported by water in the swim, can you do that without exacerbating the issue? 

Sorry - a lot of questions I know but that's where I would be.

Major kudos to you on all fronts.  Your career - wow - when people thank those in uniform, I think that they are talking police/fire/medical as well, so THANK YOU.  Being strong and supportive for your wife - that's awesome and training is probably what helps you stay strong.  Stay within yourself and listen to your body.

I heard once that few things worth doing are easy...as I get older, I'm realizing how true that is.
2011-03-03 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Mass.
ltcsh1 - 2011-03-03 6:53 AM Hi Everyone. 

Keep it going!  I'm a correctional officer, so I can kind of relate on the stress thing.  It just wears you down mentally if you let it.  Good luck wiht the training.  Don't push to hard to early.

KC- Sounds like your improving on the swim.  Sometimes it's nice to kept that second opinion that we actually look ok swimming.  For a while I thought my coach was just feeling sorry for me.  Smile
2011-03-03 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Wow - so I followed the advice of practicing changing tubes/fixing a flat.  Good thing I did.  The quick release on my front tire was on so tight I needed to pry it with a screw driver. Good thing I found this out when I had a metal lever to use instead of out on the road where I would have had only very easily breakable tire levers.

So, if you haven't practiced, I recommend it.

2011-03-03 11:28 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hello Team.

I hope you are all having a great day. I am doing a bike and another swim tonight, with some curling practice late this afternoon for a bonspiel I am in that starts Friday evening and runs through Sunday. This of course means I probably will not get any training in on the weekend, unless you count throwing 40 lb granite stones down a 146 foot sheet of ice, sweeping my A$$ off and consuming a couple of adult bevys a workout (which I do by the way).

Anyway, since most of you know I am an absolute new comer to swimming and I am having my issues with it I have decided to do what I threatened to do about a month ago. I am putting myself out there for you to take a look at. Below you will find  some links to youtube videos of me in the pool in mid December, January and then me again in an endless pool taking some instruction in early February. I would value your opinions if you care to share them with me.

Thanks team and don't worry Coach, it is a speedo jammer so it's cool LOL.

KC

Dec 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1v244XFl7k

Jan 2011 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8BY719_B7I

Feb 5, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7NatiETGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKwjy2vRBr0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_rPxdli86c

One arm drill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIGFZjfOuUk

Edited by kcgolf 2011-03-03 11:47 AM
2011-03-03 12:16 PM

User image

Expert

My swim workout this morning kicked my butt!  I started swimming last week again with the Masters Group and it has been greally good.  If anyone is looking for a great kicking focused workout try doing this or modifying it to fit your workout:

WU: 200 Easy, 200 Kick, 200 Pull

MS:
6 x 100 (25 Tarzan, 75 build) *Tarzan is swimming with you head above water.  try to keep your hed centered and looking forward.

5 x 200 Reverse IM (25 kick only, 25 swim)
Basically do the IM stokes in reverse order (Freestyle,Breast,Back, Butterfly) with the first 25Y being only the kick for that stroke and the second 25 being the comlplete stroke.

10 x 25 Sprint - 25" rest

4 x 100 pull
1st breath 3rd stroke
2nd breath 5th stroke
3rd breath 7th stroke (I was only able to do 50Y of this before I felt like I was drowning)
4th breath 3rd stroke

CD: 250 Easy

2011-03-03 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3381105

User image

Expert
I can definitely see progress in the 3 months.  I am by no means an expert and I am sure some people here will have much better advice or critique but a couple things I noticed are:

Breathing - It seems like you are turning your head a little late to breath and end up rushing it to catch up to your arm stroke.  All I can do is look at my stroke as critique - but as I'm sitting here at my computer re-creating my stoke haha - my head is turned to breath as my arm is finishing its push.  That allows me a little more time to breath which might explain why you are running out of breath.  You might be lifting your head a little to much to breath also.

Reach - Its really hard to tell from the angle of filming but it seems liek you are reaching too much to the opposite side and crossing over that imaginary line that runs down the center of your head.  But like I said it is hard to tell from that angle.

Legs - This could also be just the video but it appears that your lower half is dragging.  Make sure to keep those legs up.  I find that if I lower my head a little more it helps keep the legs up.  I also try to keep my legs closer together.  Not really sure if that is good or bad but I can only imagine in creates less drag.

Either way - great idea on the video!!  You are brave to open yourself up to some critique-but it is the only way to learn right?  I find swimming so hard becasue you have no idea how you look swimming until you do something like this.  keep up the good work.

kcgolf - 2011-03-03 11:28 AM

Hello Team.

I hope you are all having a great day. I am doing a bike and another swim tonight, with some curling practice late this afternoon for a bonspiel I am in that starts Friday evening and runs through Sunday. This of course means I probably will not get any training in on the weekend, unless you count throwing 40 lb granite stones down a 146 foot sheet of ice, sweeping my A$$ off and consuming a couple of adult bevys a workout (which I do by the way).

Anyway, since most of you know I am an absolute new comer to swimming and I am having my issues with it I have decided to do what I threatened to do about a month ago. I am putting myself out there for you to take a look at. Below you will find  some links to youtube videos of me in the pool in mid December, January and then me again in an endless pool taking some instruction in early February. I would value your opinions if you care to share them with me.

KC

Dec 2010

Jan 2011 

Feb 5, 2011

One arm drill

2011-03-03 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Court,  It's impossible for anyone to give advice on this.  I would say you have to start SLOW and build from square one if you are going to workout. If you push it my guess is you will be right back to not being able to workout.  I hope your wife's condition can improve.  We will get you to the HIM/IM if your body will let you.  Hang in there

Rob that is great to practice, I always carry the big tire levers to make it even easier.  I race with tubies so its tough to practice changing them and the glue is nasty.

Everyone should take his advice and try changing a tire and another thing is to purposely take your chain off and put it back on.. IT WILL HAPPEN in a race.

2011-03-03 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3381216

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
tmoran80 - 2011-03-03 1:40 PM I can definitely see progress in the 3 months.  I am by no means an expert and I am sure some people here will have much better advice or critique but a couple things I noticed are:

Breathing - It seems like you are turning your head a little late to breath and end up rushing it to catch up to your arm stroke.  All I can do is look at my stroke as critique - but as I'm sitting here at my computer re-creating my stoke haha - my head is turned to breath as my arm is finishing its push.  That allows me a little more time to breath which might explain why you are running out of breath.  You might be lifting your head a little to much to breath also.

Reach - Its really hard to tell from the angle of filming but it seems liek you are reaching too much to the opposite side and crossing over that imaginary line that runs down the center of your head.  But like I said it is hard to tell from that angle.

Legs - This could also be just the video but it appears that your lower half is dragging.  Make sure to keep those legs up.  I find that if I lower my head a little more it helps keep the legs up.  I also try to keep my legs closer together.  Not really sure if that is good or bad but I can only imagine in creates less drag.

Either way - great idea on the video!!  You are brave to open yourself up to some critique-but it is the only way to learn right?  I find swimming so hard becasue you have no idea how you look swimming until you do something like this.  keep up the good work.

kcgolf - 2011-03-03 11:28 AM

Hello Team.

KC

Dec 2010

Jan 2011 

Feb 5, 2011

One arm drill

Thanks Tim, I appreciate you taking a look and providing me feedback. Can I ask you to elaborate on the breathing suggestions? Do you mean my head should be rotating earlier to the right for example as my left hand extends and drives out in front of me? Or do you mean for example as my right arm is finishing the pull my head should be turned to the right before it finishes and exits the water?

KC 

Edited by kcgolf 2011-03-03 1:22 PM

2011-03-03 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3381288

User image

Expert

I get so confused with terminology but I think it is the first thing you said.  Lets say you are breathing to the right.  As your right hand is completeling the push and going into the "revovery" stage is when i turn my head to the right to breath.  As my right arm exits the water my head is turning back into the water almost in sync with my right hand.  Does that make sense?

I was having the same issue when I started last year and my coach told me I was startign my breath too late and it made a huge difference.  Also make sure to exhale as your right hand is starting the "pull" phase so that you have plenty of capacity to breath air in your lungs.

Like I said I am the furthest thing from a swim coach and am only going by what helped me.  maybe someone else from the group could even let me know if what I am telling you makes sense- haha

kcgolf - 2011-03-03 1:20 PM Thanks Tim, I appreciate you taking a look and providing me feedback. Can I ask you to elaborate on the breathing suggestions? Do you mean my head should be rotating earlier to the right for example as my left hand extends and drives out in front of me? Or do you mean for example as my right arm is finishing the pull my head should be turned to the right before it finishes and exits the water?

KC 

2011-03-03 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3381273

User image

Expert

Dave - What is the difference between the clinchers and the tubular?

razorxp - 2011-03-03 1:11 PM  I race with tubies so its tough to practice changing them and the glue is nasty.

2011-03-03 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Tim a Tubular is a one piece tire and tube  combined (no tube, you have to replace everything if you get a flat).  A clincher (probably what you have) has a rim/tube/tire, the rim of your clincher holds the tire in-place once inflated.   On a tubular the rim has no "hooks/clinchers" to hold it  so you either glue the tire on or tape it on.  I will look for something that explains it better than me (as I stink @ explaining).

2011-03-03 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3381503

User image

Expert

What is the advantage of a tubular compared to clincher or it just personal preference?

razorxp - 2011-03-03 3:12 PM

Tim a Tubular is a one piece tire and tube  combined (no tube, you have to replace everything if you get a flat).  A clincher (probably what you have) has a rim/tube/tire, the rim of your clincher holds the tire in-place once inflated.   On a tubular the rim has no "hooks/clinchers" to hold it  so you either glue the tire on or tape it on.  I will look for something that explains it better than me (as I stink @ explaining).

2011-03-03 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

KC,  you sure look like you are struggling for air.  You can see your form fall apart as you fight for your next breath.  I know you are set on bi-lateral breathing but at this point I would try to do 1/3 of my swim bilateral, 1/3 to left, 1/3 to the right.  Another thing you could play with is going every 5 strokes or 7 strokes to see what type of lung capacity you have.  If you still struggle breathing when going after 2 strokes then there could be another issue.  With your form (looks good overall) you should be able to swim long distances without problems.   I think your form is better than mine to be honest.  Hang in there! The small changes your talking about are not big issues at this point, its all about getting decent form and working on endurance right now.

Edited by razorxp 2011-03-03 3:19 PM

2011-03-03 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Who knows if there are any advantages some say tubulars are less prone to flats and are faster. I guess in the day they were but
today I would say they are close to equal. Just go on slowtwitch or bt and search the topic there are some heated debates over it.
To be honest I cannot tell the difference, I train with clinchers and race with tubulars.  Tubulars are a pain if you flat as you have 
to find someone with a whole tubular in their saddle bag (they are huge) vrs a tube. 
2011-03-03 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3380244

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-03-02 9:16 PM Computrainer tonight. I'm hoping at some point this is going to pay off. I bust my a$$ on that thing and came in at a measly 14mph!!!! Seriously? I can NOT wait to get outside and cycle. Also, I tried getting my bike computer mounted last night so I could see how far I go each time I use my trainer. No joy. I can't get the mount to read. I must be doing something wrong. Are some computers not able to rear mount?

Yeah not all bike computers are designed to mount on the rear tire.  If it's wireless and the sensor isn't designed to be that far away from the computer then that could be causing a problem.  If it is design for the rear wheel mount then it's going to be the space between the magnet and the sensor.  You have to just keep tweaking it till they're almost touching when they pass.  They can be a pain in the butt to set up.  I always have a problem with the cadence one myself. 

2011-03-03 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma

Have you been to the doctor yet?  Have you given a chiropractor a shot?  You probably need to get an idea of what you're against here because if you have a bulging disc/ruptured disc it's probably not going to be getting much better if you start working out again. 

2011-03-03 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3381519

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-03-03 4:18 PM

KC,  you sure look like you are struggling for air.  You can see your form fall apart as you fight for your next breath.  I know you are set on bi-lateral breathing but at this point I would try to do 1/3 of my swim bilateral, 1/3 to left, 1/3 to the right.  Another thing you could play with is going every 5 strokes or 7 strokes to see what type of lung capacity you have.  If you still struggle breathing when going after 2 strokes then there could be another issue.  With your form (looks good overall) you should be able to swim long distances without problems.   I think your form is better than mine to be honest.  Hang in there! The small changes your talking about are not big issues at this point, its all about getting decent form and working on endurance right now.

Thanks Coach. I will give a few different breathing patterns a shot this evening. I will be back in the pool tonight for the 8:30 lap swim. I was planning on doing a fair amount of drilling tonight, just working on balance, breathing techniqu (keeping my face in the water with no panic) and again, working on relaxing. Thanks for the compliment on the form, now if I could just get the result to be better as well LOL>

I will let you know how it goes.

KC

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76