BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-02-10 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3257002

Veteran
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed
So jealous about your time in the warm and the sun. It was 35 here this morning, too, which is warm for this time of year but definitley not tank top and shorts weather. I often wonder why I live where it snows when all I really want to do it play outside in the sun. Maybe the weather makes us tougher? Or we're just stupid? Or we dont like people and there's never anyone around on my winter runs?

Anyway, I didnt think that I was going to get my warm weather fix this winter but my husband is getting sent to Hawaii for work in March and I just booked a ticket to join him for 4 days. Woo-hoo!!

My training has been poor the last couple of days. I have a really big argument this morning and have been working nonstop. Thats also why I'm here at 6:30. But as soon as its over I'm hoping to go for a long run this afternoon.

2012-02-10 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4039666

User image

Regular
Kansas City

elizabethk - 2012-02-10 8:00 AM So jealous about your time in the warm and the sun. It was 35 here this morning, too, which is warm for this time of year but definitley not tank top and shorts weather. I often wonder why I live where it snows when all I really want to do it play outside in the sun. Maybe the weather makes us tougher? Or we're just stupid? Or we dont like people and there's never anyone around on my winter runs? Anyway, I didnt think that I was going to get my warm weather fix this winter but my husband is getting sent to Hawaii for work in March and I just booked a ticket to join him for 4 days. Woo-hoo!! My training has been poor the last couple of days. I have a really big argument this morning and have been working nonstop. Thats also why I'm here at 6:30. But as soon as its over I'm hoping to go for a long run this afternoon.

Good luck with your argument!  I know plenty about being busy these days.  I work for a bank (owned by a tax company that starts with H) and mid last week started peak volume for us.  We are so busy I have been working 12-14 hour days, and 4 hours days on the weekends.  OT is good this time of year.  Throw in 2 classes I'm taking this semester, my 2 boys, and sometimes talking to my wife, and it's a wonder how I have any time to train.  But when I get in the pool at 5:15 in the morning, there isn't a person or thing in the world that can bother me for those 30-45 minutes.

And I grew up in NY, but live in Kansas City about 11 years ago.  My family all moved from NY to the Orlando area about 6 years back.  I took the family down to go visit them for Christmas a few years ago and it just didn't feel right.  Almost hard to get in the spirit.  As much as I hate the cold, snow is a lot of fun to play in.

Another 1k interval swim this morning.  Lots of kicks and pulls.  Actually felt great, almost like I'm starting to get the hang of it after 5 weeks.  Hope to feel this good on Sunday.  Throwing in a distance ladder that's going to peak at 400m.  Haven't been that far yet.

Hope everyone has a great Friday, and an awesome weekend!

2012-02-10 9:13 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Well, have been trying to keep going and did a short swim and a run today but alas my cold caught me and tomorrow is most likely an SRD with my long run Sunday is probably not going to happen.  If I catch a cold its usually in March but with this crazy weather I guess it came early.  True story: March 2009 I am in the Dr's office for a cold (with my asthma I am a bit conservative).  Nurse comes back in and says "well you were just in last week for this".  I say there is no way and either their records are screwed up or someone is coming in my place.  She looks at the records again and its March 2008 almost exactly a year later with the same symptoms.

Oh well, a few days of rest won't hurt now but March is the big month and I need to be healthy!

2012-02-10 10:22 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

elizabethk - 2012-02-10 8:00 AM So jealous about your time in the warm and the sun. It was 35 here this morning, too, which is warm for this time of year but definitley not tank top and shorts weather. I often wonder why I live where it snows when all I really want to do it play outside in the sun. Maybe the weather makes us tougher? Or we're just stupid? Or we dont like people and there's never anyone around on my winter runs? Anyway, I didnt think that I was going to get my warm weather fix this winter but my husband is getting sent to Hawaii for work in March and I just booked a ticket to join him for 4 days. Woo-hoo!! My training has been poor the last couple of days. I have a really big argument this morning and have been working nonstop. Thats also why I'm here at 6:30. But as soon as its over I'm hoping to go for a long run this afternoon.

Cool about a few days in Hawaii.  I wonder why I don't move south too.

2012-02-10 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4039793

User image

Master
St. Louis
ccoffin - 2012-02-10 8:47 AM

Good luck with your argument!  I know plenty about being busy these days.  I work for a bank (owned by a tax company that starts with H) and mid last week started peak volume for us.  We are so busy I have been working 12-14 hour days, and 4 hours days on the weekends.  OT is good this time of year.  Throw in 2 classes I'm taking this semester, my 2 boys, and sometimes talking to my wife, and it's a wonder how I have any time to train.  But when I get in the pool at 5:15 in the morning, there isn't a person or thing in the world that can bother me for those 30-45 minutes.

And I grew up in NY, but live in Kansas City about 11 years ago.  My family all moved from NY to the Orlando area about 6 years back.  I took the family down to go visit them for Christmas a few years ago and it just didn't feel right.  Almost hard to get in the spirit.  As much as I hate the cold, snow is a lot of fun to play in.

Another 1k interval swim this morning.  Lots of kicks and pulls.  Actually felt great, almost like I'm starting to get the hang of it after 5 weeks.  Hope to feel this good on Sunday.  Throwing in a distance ladder that's going to peak at 400m.  Haven't been that far yet.

Hope everyone has a great Friday, and an awesome weekend!

Good for you getting to the pool so early and getting some "you" time.  I have friends in accounting and can appreciate your pain.

2012-02-10 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4041507

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2012-02-10 9:13 PM

Well, have been trying to keep going and did a short swim and a run today but alas my cold caught me and tomorrow is most likely an SRD with my long run Sunday is probably not going to happen.  If I catch a cold its usually in March but with this crazy weather I guess it came early.  True story: March 2009 I am in the Dr's office for a cold (with my asthma I am a bit conservative).  Nurse comes back in and says "well you were just in last week for this".  I say there is no way and either their records are screwed up or someone is coming in my place.  She looks at the records again and its March 2008 almost exactly a year later with the same symptoms.

Oh well, a few days of rest won't hurt now but March is the big month and I need to be healthy!

Funny story about the doctor :-).  Not so funny that you are back again this year.  Hopefully this is the only time.

2012-02-11 12:47 AM

User image

Expert

OK all of you cold weather friends, it is 20 and blustery now and I really miss the sun.  No more runs outside for a few days with a winter storm warning.  My best friend is bugging me to do a local 5k tomorrow morning.  Forecast is for 20 degrees, 17mph North wind and snow.  Are you kidding?  Plus I am at work right now until 7am.  I have done a morning 5k and a Sprint Tri after working all night, but not in this weather. 

I find it hard to take a day off.  I worked last night and actually slept 5 1/2 hours after my shift (usually 3-4).  I had a 6 mile Tempo run planned, and I was about to go run before picking up the kids from school.  My very sane wife suggested I take a break and rest.  I am so glad I took her advice.  I moved the run to Sunday when my family is out of town anyway, and next week is a rest week with lower volume and intensity, so it all works out.   I am sure I will have a better long ride later this afternoon and probably b better rested for a good Hill workout/Tempo run on Sunday. 

It is tricky being over 40 but feeling 20.  My brain thinks I can go go go, but my body sometimes says no no no.

2012-02-11 12:47 AM

User image

Expert

Edited by leftrunner 2012-02-11 12:47 AM
2012-02-11 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

Elizabethk you lucky lady!! Enjoy your four days in paradise! I felt the same way about about my training this week. My mind is made up that next week will be better!

Ransick Can you tell me what the "stick" is and where can I get it? I've heard people talk about it and have even seen people using them but have never seen one up close.

Question for the group - I had planned on doing an early season Sprint Tri on Sun. April 15th. 400m indoor swim, then outside for a 20k flat bike & 5k run with rolling hills. As long as the weather cooperates it will be an easy one. Let me throw a wrench in it though. A annual cycling event that I like to attend has just announced that it is the day before, Saturday April 14th. My husband and I would really like to do the 64 mile route as we are getting our milage up for the Biking Across Kansas event in June. We will be riding 475 miles in 8 days. It is my Birthday weekend to boot! I will be turning 45 on Friday the 13th! Would you do both??? As of today I'm on the fence.

Edited by motoxmom1 2012-02-11 9:50 AM
2012-02-11 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4041874

User image

Master
St. Louis
motoxmom1 - 2012-02-11 9:46 AM

Elizabethk you lucky lady!! Enjoy your four days in paradise! I felt the same way about about my training this week. My mind is made up that next week will be better!

Ransick Can you tell me what the "stick" is and where can I get it? I've heard people talk about it and have even seen people using them but have never seen one up close.

Question for the group - I had planned on doing an early season Sprint Tri on Sun. April 15th. 400m indoor swim, then outside for a 20k flat bike & 5k run with rolling hills. As long as the weather cooperates it will be an easy one. Let me throw a wrench in it though. A annual cycling event that I like to attend has just announced that it is the day before, Saturday April 14th. My husband and I would really like to do the 64 mile route as we are getting our milage up for the Biking Across Kansas event in June. We will be riding 475 miles in 8 days. It is my Birthday weekend to boot! I will be turning 45 on Friday the 13th! Would you do both??? As of today I'm on the fence.

Here is the stick . I don't have a foam roller yet but will probably get one.

If you want to do both, do both.  Just approach the tri as a fun time.  Personally I would skip the tri and sleep in after a 64 mile ride, but I'm kind of lazy :-).

2012-02-13 12:23 AM

User image

Expert

Hey gang.  Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Not very much chatter here, so I assume you were all training.

I have been using myfitnesspal for calorie counting for 4 weeks now and I am happy to report that I went from 193lbs to 183lbs in that time.  My goal is 180 for the half in June.  I do not want to be trying to lose weight once I ramp up the volume, so I hop to drop 3 moe pounds in the next 2-3 weeks then maintain through the spring.

Heading into the first "rest" week of my plan, so looking forward to some lighter days.

2012-02-13 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4043837

User image

Master
St. Louis
leftrunner - 2012-02-13 12:23 AM

Hey gang.  Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Not very much chatter here, so I assume you were all training.

I have been using myfitnesspal for calorie counting for 4 weeks now and I am happy to report that I went from 193lbs to 183lbs in that time.  My goal is 180 for the half in June.  I do not want to be trying to lose weight once I ramp up the volume, so I hop to drop 3 moe pounds in the next 2-3 weeks then maintain through the spring.

Heading into the first "rest" week of my plan, so looking forward to some lighter days.

Congrats on the weight loss!  That is awesome.

2012-02-13 7:14 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Left - congrats!!!  Nice job!

For me its been no workouts since Friday.  My cold came on pretty well and decided to get thru it.  Trying my best to keep it from going to my lungs.  But still have lots to do around the house so kept busy.  Saturday the temps started dropping and by Sunday morning the temp had dropped over 20 degrees and we went below freezing.  Warm compared to most places but still dang cold here. 

Last night I was supposed to lead my first C25K group but due to the cold and not a lot of advertising no one showed.  Feeling better today and will be back on the bike trainer today.  Two days off won't hurt anything.  Working from home today so I don't spread the cold to anyone else.

I will have my usual "Gary Question" out soon.

2012-02-13 9:51 AM

Veteran
leftrunner - 2012-02-13 12:23 AM

Nice job on the weightloss! Losing weight is tough and you've done a great job and your training volume looks pretty heavy (at least to me).

2012-02-13 9:55 AM

Veteran
Gary - I hope you feel better soon.

I've got a question for everyone. I usually run on Saturday mornings with a group of friends. They're all a little faster than me. According to my plan, on this weekend's long run my heart rate was supposed to stay in Zone 2. Because I was with faster people, it ended up in Zone 3 for most of the run (and I ran close to my tempo run speed). If I want to do this HIM in the early summer, how important is it for me to stay in Zone 2 for these runs? I love running with friends but dont want to sabotage my race. I'll run by myself if necessary but really dont want to. Thanks.
2012-02-13 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4044368

User image

Expert

elizabethk - 2012-02-13 10:55 AM Gary - I hope you feel better soon. I've got a question for everyone. I usually run on Saturday mornings with a group of friends. They're all a little faster than me. According to my plan, on this weekend's long run my heart rate was supposed to stay in Zone 2. Because I was with faster people, it ended up in Zone 3 for most of the run (and I ran close to my tempo run speed). If I want to do this HIM in the early summer, how important is it for me to stay in Zone 2 for these runs? I love running with friends but dont want to sabotage my race. I'll run by myself if necessary but really dont want to. Thanks.

I do think the long slow run is pretty important for races 13.1 and longer.  If you are in zone 3 you are kind of in no mans land and may risk not gaining much of the aerobic/fat burning gains of long and slow.  

That said, how hard was it on an RPE scale?  Maybe you are gaining enough fitness that the pace you held for the 7.9 miles is closer to zone 2.  Were you able to converse with your friends, or were you trailing them and huffing and puffing?  What is your goal race pace?

Looking back in your logs, a year ago you did 8 miles at a 10:45 pace, if you haven't done a HR zone test in a while, maybe you are that much faster in a year.

Rob

Edited by leftrunner 2012-02-13 10:53 AM

2012-02-13 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4044368

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

elizabethk - 2012-02-13 9:55 AM Gary - I hope you feel better soon. I've got a question for everyone. I usually run on Saturday mornings with a group of friends. They're all a little faster than me. According to my plan, on this weekend's long run my heart rate was supposed to stay in Zone 2. Because I was with faster people, it ended up in Zone 3 for most of the run (and I ran close to my tempo run speed). If I want to do this HIM in the early summer, how important is it for me to stay in Zone 2 for these runs? I love running with friends but dont want to sabotage my race. I'll run by myself if necessary but really dont want to. Thanks.

I think I am with Mike on this as am wondering how the run felt afterwards and maybe the day or two after?  If this didn't affect subsequent training and this wasn't a killer run for you I say keep it up.  If it did affect your training then I would say only run with them every other time.  Having someone to push you a little is a definite help and if you can stay with them without completely wasting yourself I say stay with them (even if it is every other week).

2012-02-13 3:30 PM

Veteran
Thanks guys. The run was really tough at the end but I felt fine later that day and the next. My RPE was around a 7 for most of it and then an 8 at the end. I just did an LTR test so I know where I should be. Its hard to tell from my logs what my times are like (generally I hope they're going down) but about 70% of my runs are pretty tough trail runs so my time is always really slow on those. Last fall (2010) I ran a sub 2 hour HM. I think that I'm just going to tell the group that I need to go slower and if they want to leave me thats fine. I'm OK hangning with them occasionally (and will probably start called it my tempo run for the week) but am going to have to go slower as the runs get longer.
2012-02-13 4:15 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Elizabeth - sounds like a good plan to me.

My 910xt came in today!  Tried it out on a run which probably wasn't the best thing to do based upon my cold but only ran a short distance.  Amazingly enough it recorded the run!  Okay, seriously, it worked fine.  Also wore my 405 and the distance pace were pretty close.  The 910 is like a 405 slightly wider and a bit rectangular.  I like the size and the screen is easier to read.  Not sure I like the backlight as well but will reserve judgement until after a night run or two.

May try a short swim tomorrow to see how that works.  That, to me along with the extended battery life, is a big reason why I bought the 910.

2012-02-14 9:42 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
Day 4 of my cold, its on the downswing but at least another day.  I did get my 910xt yesterday and went for a .5 mile run.  I really like the 910xt form factor and seems to be easy to use.  May go for a short swim to try out the swim stuff.  Was really cold on Sunday but today is supposed to be iin the 70's.
2012-02-14 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Hello Gary, miss you on our thread!

2012-02-15 6:44 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Good Morning Everyone,

Haven't had the opportunity to post for a few days, but I promise, I check in once or twice a day minimum and see what has been going on.

I've been able to keep training even though I've been real busy, but it's been pretty tough to make the time.  Pretty pleased with how far along my swim has come in a short amount of time.  Despite being forced to drink unGodly amounts of alcohol on Saturday night, I was able to get through Sunday's long swims and put in a 400m, which is the furthest I've gone.  Hoping to have that distance doubled by the time race day gets here.

Hope you're feeling better Gary.  Being sick is the worst, especially when you want to be active.

Nice job on the weight loss Left.  No easy feat.

Hope you all have a great day.

Edited by ccoffin 2012-02-15 6:46 AM
2012-02-15 6:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Left - Thanks for the tip on myfitnesspal, just signed up. I have been logging cals on BT, but this seems easier to use. I am at 250 (from a high of 275 3-yrs ago) and want to get down to 215 this year. Between work, school (working on my masters), migrain head aches, and winter blues, my workouts have consisted mainly of walking the dog 2x per day for 1.3 miles each. I have targeted Sunday 2/19 to begin my 10k training for the 5/3 Riverbank run in May. I hope to be down to 230 for the race.
2012-02-15 7:25 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Morning all!
Almost feel 100% and actually feeling like I want to workout again.  So tonight will be an easy trainer ride after the kids band concert.  Renewed my USAT membership and this year it comes with a $20 off coupon (purchase of $40 or more) at Trisports.com.  Some of my running shorts are 4 yrs old and showing their age.  Good chance to pick up some new ones.

DW - great job on the diet, good luck on the training.  Is your race on the calendar?

CC - congrats on the 400m!  You will be swimming like a fish in no time!

Texas - did you get my PM?

2012-02-15 10:41 AM

Veteran
CC - Nice job on the swim.

DW - Good luck on the weightloss and your 10K training plan. Losing weight is tough.

My week has pretty good so far. I wanted to run longer yesterday but had an interview for a new job (fingers-crossed) so I just didnt have time. Today I thought about getting up early but then rolled over and went back to sleep. I'll do a spin class at noon to make up for it but wont be able to do any strength training this week now.

E
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115