BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-02-08 10:50 PM
in reply to: #2662028

Regular
Nebraska
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 7:44 AM

2010-02-08 10:59 PM
in reply to: #2661171

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 7:45 AM
2010-02-09 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2662012

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Having had a while to think about sweet spot, I'll see what I can come up with.

As I remember it, you're on your front and using just a gentle kick to provide some propulsion -- and then you gently roll onto your side. At some point during this roll, you hope to find the sweet spot, the place where you feel in perfect balance while on your side. Is this about right so far?

If so, then are you still still gently fluttering to provide some propulsion? I think this is "allowed" - elsewise I could not have pulled off this drill. Beyond this I have two suggestions, one of which it sounds like you're doing, which is to press down on your bottom shoulder. This is the equivalent of TI's concept of "pressing the buoy", kind of leaning on your chest while swimming freestyle so as to get that "downhill" emphasis, but if you've tried this you'll know it is more effective than leaning on the bottom shoulder during sweet spot.

The second suggestion is really two parts, both of which involve "cheating". One of these is to snake out the lower arm just as you are doing your roll, and that will help to counter balnce the tendency of the feet to drop. I think TI allows this modification, as although it probably compromises the purity of the drill somewhat, it seesm to be less intrusive that way than would be sinking feet. A second cheat is to use fins in the hopes that they will keep the feet more gainfully employed and less left on their own to sink.

Getting back to the idea of sanking your lower arm forward, that would put it in a position where you could effectively rest the side of your head against it ---- and I think that is pasrt of a different drill later on. So, what I'm thinking might be acceptable for sweet spot, well, maybe it's just acceptable as part of a different drill.

MARK hasn't been here for a while, but maybe he is just reading and not writing. But he seems to have more TI experience than any of us, so I hope he sees this and comments.

My long thoughts on sweet spot is that it is great to work on it as a way of developing a sense for the water and feeling more balance OVERALL. But in actual swimming, I see very few good swimmers who incorporate that degrre of body roll into their freestyle. For me, my sweet spot is a long way "up there", and to roll to it each and every stroke would take a klot of time and effort. TI uses the barge and sailboat analogies as a way to encourage swimming on your side and reducing frontal drag, and while that is accurate to a point, it is less easy to achieve in practice, such as during races and longish swims. Some of the stuff I will post from Louis Tharp seem to actually go against this, even though he is heavily influenced by TI --- and his book was published by them!

Yes, it is a matter of practice, and I believe it is time well spent - especially early in a serious swim "career". I probably over-spent my time on them initially, but I have few if any regrets about that; it was all part of the process I undertook. Did you read the Tharpism I posted yesterday? He gives two great reasons for drilling, and I especially like the second one about getting the body and brain re-acquainted with the rules of efficient swimming. It has been a long, long time since I began a session with serious drillwork, and maybe I should start doing it again.

How much time for you to spend? If you're in for 30 minutes, how about 10 minutes for drills, and 15 minutes for the 40-minute pool sessions? I'm just kind of guessing here. Another apporach to it which I used to employ was maybe 10-15 minutes of drilling, then some freestyle, and follow that with some more drills geared towards areas that I felt were "needy", based on thre freestyle I had just done. And then I would finish with more freestyle, hoping that the drills would make a difference. So it was roughly 10' drill, 15' swim, 8' drill, 12' swim --- really, give or take a fair bit in any of those segments.

I think I have said before is that whenever your form falls apart, that's a good time to either stop the session or go on to something radically different. That can include drills, or switching to a different style, such as breast or back. But the falling-apart form aspect can also happen with drills, and so when one of them isn't working anymore it's time to switch things up -- different drill or just a straight swim.

As you get further into TI, you'll find drills you love and that work well, and others that just don't either click or work. After a while, you'll have a lot of drills at your disposal, and so drillwork can be pretty much pleasurable whenever you decide to do it. Practice will help with all of them, but don't allow them to frustrate or discourage you. That's partially why I mentioned switching things up -- good for the mind as well as the body!

So, try snaking (I used that term before, but maybe it's better to think of "sneaking" it) your arm forward to help with sweet spot balance, or using a small pair of fins, gently. I'll try to find somehting on the TI website to see if either of those are "legal", or actually strictly forbidden. ("Bad swimmer! BAD!!")

2010-02-09 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2662634

User image

Champion

M -

Good chains gone bad!

2010-02-09 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Hey Steve,

Well, I'm standing down on Shoe Defcon 1, to Defcon 4 for now.  I looked at the box, and I have the Nirvana model.  Thinking back, my conversation with the shoe guy was that I stared on the Etonic Minado and that was a tank of a shoe for me.  Very solid and had zero knee/ankle issues.  When I went into the store in October to replace the Minado, the guy commented that he couldn't believe I was in the Minado, as it is for a runner around 180+lbs.  I told the guy I was 180 when I bought that shoe, but was down to 160.  So, he put me in the Jepara, which is the similar version but for a lighter runner. 

Fast forward to this past Friday, and I comment that I've had some knee soreness and some shin soreness, and that I used to run in the Minado, now the Jepara, and that I was considering going back to the Minado, as my mileage is only going to increase from here and maybe the added stablility would be a good thing.  To which he responds that if I liked the Minado, I'd love the Nirvana, and so that's where we are.  I see now that it's for a heavier runner.  Do you think that should be a concern? 

Anyway, great workout today.  Was starting to feel a bit of a cold coming on yesterday (I swear, nieces are just walking viruses!), but had a GREAT swim today (3,000m in just under an hour) and a solid 1.5 hour run.  Felt good in the new shoes, though the calves are still barking a bit. 

Well, back to work! Hope everyone had a good workout today!
2010-02-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2662770

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
stevebradley - 2010-02-09 6:37 AM

MARK hasn't been here for a while, but maybe he is just reading and not writing. But he seems to have more TI experience than any of us, so I hope he sees this and comments.

Hi all
Sorry I haven't been a very active participant. Unfortunately, I will probably continue to be minimally active. My mother-in-law has had some chronic health issues for the last 8-9 years and it looks like they are finally nearing an end-stage. My wife (who is a nurse and due to her own desires and the expectations of the family) is very involved in her care. Over the weekend the decision was made to end aggressive interventions and pursue hospice care. The nature of her heath issues means this could be a few weeks or several months. As a result, things are topsy-turvy (as those who have had similar experiences can attest, I'm sure) and my training time and other non-essentials time is very limited. As well, there are some work needs that are demanding a lot of time right now. I know you all understand, and some have/had similar situations. Just wanted to let you know that I have found the mentoring experience enjoyable and informative. I will participate as I can.

Tracy, what guide are you using for the drills you are practicing, Is it the Easy Freestyle DVD or the book?

Mark

2010-02-09 12:45 PM

New user
Steve,

Great interview!! Nice to put a voice to the typed words. Congratulations on being the BT'er of the month.

Thanks for the comment on HRM. Something I didn't mention was that the intent with such a device is to able to use it as multiple devices all at one time (ie. HRM, stop watch, cycling computer, James Bond style spy watch, etc.). It's bigger use for swimming would probably be as a stop watch as I don't even have one of those. The only 'watch' I carry anymore is my cell phone and I am not taking that near a pool.

Lisa, no stop watch?!?!?!? Wow...Kind of surprising to me, (I'm assuming on the Garmin website that Sport Watch = Stop Watch). Also, surprised to see that the 305 does not calculate calorie expenditure off of heart rate.

The one other function on the Polar that looked most interesting to me was the OwnIndex I think it was. It basically was a fitness test that setup up zones based on how you performed the tests. Same thing could be done using fied test for running & biking but was interested in what this gizmo would come up with.

It's nice to be missed, but its not nice being 6 pages behind here!!! I was away from work on training for a few days last week, then spent the rest of the week fighting fires at work. Busy weekend and now I'm trying to get caught up here.

Hope everyone's recovered from the Superbowl and haven't missed a beat with training. Mine took a hit yesterday. Hoping to run tonight if the 6-10 inches of snow they are calling for today/tonight don't get too far in the way.

Edited by smarx 2010-02-09 2:17 PM
2010-02-09 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2663643

User image

TriD64 - 2010-02-09 10:39 AM
stevebradley - 2010-02-09 6:37 AM MARK hasn't been here for a while, but maybe he is just reading and not writing. But he seems to have more TI experience than any of us, so I hope he sees this and comments.
Hi all Sorry I haven't been a very active participant. Unfortunately, I will probably continue to be minimally active. My mother-in-law has had some chronic health issues for the last 8-9 years and it looks like they are finally nearing an end-stage. My wife (who is a nurse and due to her own desires and the expectations of the family) is very involved in her care. Over the weekend the decision was made to end aggressive interventions and pursue hospice care. The nature of her heath issues means this could be a few weeks or several months. As a result, things are topsy-turvy (as those who have had similar experiences can attest, I'm sure) and my training time and other non-essentials time is very limited. As well, there are some work needs that are demanding a lot of time right now. I know you all understand, and some have/had similar situations. Just wanted to let you know that I have found the mentoring experience enjoyable and informative. I will participate as I can. Tracy, what guide are you using for the drills you are practicing, Is it the Easy Freestyle DVD or the book? Mark

Mark,  Our thoughts are with you, your family and mother-in-law. 
2010-02-09 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2662770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-09 7:37 AM

TRACEY -

Having had a while to think about sweet spot, I'll see what I can come up with.

As I remember it, you're on your front and using just a gentle kick to provide some propulsion -- and then you gently roll onto your side. At some point during this roll, you hope to find the sweet spot, the place where you feel in perfect balance while on your side. Is this about right so far?

If so, then are you still still gently fluttering to provide some propulsion? I think this is "allowed" - elsewise I could not have pulled off this drill. Beyond this I have two suggestions, one of which it sounds like you're doing, which is to press down on your bottom shoulder. This is the equivalent of TI's concept of "pressing the buoy", kind of leaning on your chest while swimming freestyle so as to get that "downhill" emphasis, but if you've tried this you'll know it is more effective than leaning on the bottom shoulder during sweet spot.

The second suggestion is really two parts, both of which involve "cheating". One of these is to snake out the lower arm just as you are doing your roll, and that will help to counter balnce the tendency of the feet to drop. I think TI allows this modification, as although it probably compromises the purity of the drill somewhat, it seesm to be less intrusive that way than would be sinking feet. A second cheat is to use fins in the hopes that they will keep the feet more gainfully employed and less left on their own to sink.

Getting back to the idea of sanking your lower arm forward, that would put it in a position where you could effectively rest the side of your head against it ---- and I think that is pasrt of a different drill later on. So, what I'm thinking might be acceptable for sweet spot, well, maybe it's just acceptable as part of a different drill.

My long thoughts on sweet spot is that it is great to work on it as a way of developing a sense for the water and feeling more balance OVERALL. But in actual swimming, I see very few good swimmers who incorporate that degrre of body roll into their freestyle. For me, my sweet spot is a long way "up there", and to roll to it each and every stroke would take a klot of time and effort. TI uses the barge and sailboat analogies as a way to encourage swimming on your side and reducing frontal drag, and while that is accurate to a point, it is less easy to achieve in practice, such as during races and longish swims. Some of the stuff I will post from Louis Tharp seem to actually go against this, even though he is heavily influenced by TI --- and his book was published by them!

Yes, it is a matter of practice, and I believe it is time well spent - especially early in a serious swim "career". I probably over-spent my time on them initially, but I have few if any regrets about that; it was all part of the process I undertook. Did you read the Tharpism I posted yesterday? He gives two great reasons for drilling, and I especially like the second one about getting the body and brain re-acquainted with the rules of efficient swimming. It has been a long, long time since I began a session with serious drillwork, and maybe I should start doing it again.

How much time for you to spend? If you're in for 30 minutes, how about 10 minutes for drills, and 15 minutes for the 40-minute pool sessions? I'm just kind of guessing here. Another apporach to it which I used to employ was maybe 10-15 minutes of drilling, then some freestyle, and follow that with some more drills geared towards areas that I felt were "needy", based on thre freestyle I had just done. And then I would finish with more freestyle, hoping that the drills would make a difference. So it was roughly 10' drill, 15' swim, 8' drill, 12' swim --- really, give or take a fair bit in any of those segments.

I think I have said before is that whenever your form falls apart, that's a good time to either stop the session or go on to something radically different. That can include drills, or switching to a different style, such as breast or back. But the falling-apart form aspect can also happen with drills, and so when one of them isn't working anymore it's time to switch things up -- different drill or just a straight swim.

As you get further into TI, you'll find drills you love and that work well, and others that just don't either click or work. After a while, you'll have a lot of drills at your disposal, and so drillwork can be pretty much pleasurable whenever you decide to do it. Practice will help with all of them, but don't allow them to frustrate or discourage you. That's partially why I mentioned switching things up -- good for the mind as well as the body!

So, try snaking (I used that term before, but maybe it's better to think of "sneaking" it) your arm forward to help with sweet spot balance, or using a small pair of fins, gently. I'll try to find somehting on the TI website to see if either of those are "legal", or actually strictly forbidden. ("Bad swimmer! BAD!!")

Thanks STEVE!

The Sweet Spot drill is actually done by rolling from the BACK into sweet spot. One of the things I forgot to mention is that when I flutter kick on my back, I always end up rotating to my left (I imagine I must be tilting slightly leftward in order for this to happen). So given that I also rotate to the left (with right side up) when I try to fully let go of my weight when I'm on my back, then I suppose I'm favoring my left side (or would you say right side, since that's the side that ends up facing up??)

Anyway, I'm going to take your advice and try sneaking that lower arm out. You're right, that's actually drill #3 that follows Sweet Spot! I gave it a quick try yesterday and my legs still sank, but I admit I didn't stick with it too long because by that time there was a 3rd swimmer who wanted to join my lane. Hard enough to do drills with one other swimmer in the lane, never mind two!

I have to say that I'm slowly feeling more and more comfortable in the water and feeling less tired throughout my sessions, so things are starting to "click" for me, I think. I'm hoping that practicing the drills will continue to reinforce that. I think I like the idea of beginning with 10 mins of drills, then 20-30 mins of freestyle, followed by a few mins of drills depending on what I feel needs work. I definitely plan to keep up with the drills and progress through them per the TI book, because according to everything I've read, drills can give you valuable tools throughout a swimming career.

I hope Mark chimes in too! I think Dwayne is also a TI guy. Haven't seem him in a while either.

Thanks for the advice!

Tracey

2010-02-09 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
TriD64 - 2010-02-09 1:39 PM

stevebradley - 2010-02-09 6:37 AM

Hi all
Sorry I haven't been a very active participant. Unfortunately, I will probably continue to be minimally active. My mother-in-law has had some chronic health issues for the last 8-9 years and it looks like they are finally nearing an end-stage. My wife (who is a nurse and due to her own desires and the expectations of the family) is very involved in her care. Over the weekend the decision was made to end aggressive interventions and pursue hospice care. The nature of her heath issues means this could be a few weeks or several months. As a result, things are topsy-turvy (as those who have had similar experiences can attest, I'm sure) and my training time and other non-essentials time is very limited. As well, there are some work needs that are demanding a lot of time right now. I know you all understand, and some have/had similar situations. Just wanted to let you know that I have found the mentoring experience enjoyable and informative. I will participate as I can.

Tracy, what guide are you using for the drills you are practicing, Is it the Easy Freestyle DVD or the book?

Mark

Hi MARK:

So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Times like that are always so tough.

I'm using both the Triathlon Swimming Made Easy book and the Easy Freestyle DVD (although I haven't yet checked out the DVD).

Thanks,

Tracey

2010-02-09 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Not a great run today!

So I have my 5 mile race coming up this Sunday and in preparation for that I did 5 miles today (that's the longest distance I've run so far). Didn't go so well. The neuroma in my right foot started bothering me at around mile 2 as it always does. I tried putting cotton balls between my toes as Anne had mentioned doing. I had to stop at mile 3 and take them out because they were chafing so much! At mile 4 I started feeling neuroma pain in my LEFT foot!! (Please gods of distance running, isn't it enough to have a neuroma in just one foot?) Shortly after that the tight hip flexor/quad in my left leg that bothers me from time to time started yelling out. I was actually limping when I finished, which never happens.

So with all the stopping and slowing down and aches and pains, it took me 68 minutes, 58 seconds to do 5 miles. I checked out the results of last year's race. If they are at all the same this year, I'm at risk of being the last to finish!! I have no problem being a back-of-the-packer, but to be last?? Okay, there was one woman last year in the age 70+ category who finished in 2:05. So maybe if she comes back this year she'll be my saving grace! How embarrassing it would be to get beaten by a 75 year old...

I don't mean to be self-defeating but maybe I'm just not made for this! I mean, my body seems to be fighting me every step of the way. I was really struggling to keep up a slow trot today after mile 4. I was hoping to do a HM by next January but I can't see it happening if I can't get past these challenges.

This is why I admire people like SteveB, SteveA and others who can push their bodies to the limit and do IMs. To me, a marathon alone would be an enormous physical and mental challenge, and in an IM that is just a mere PORTION of the race!

I think I need to borrow Diane's motto: Yes, I can.

Thanks for listening to my vent!

Tracey

2010-02-09 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Mark- Thoughts are with you and the rest of your family.Tracey- I am about the same stage you are, if not a little farther behind. Sorry I can't help you, but thanks for the help I have been getting from your experiences and Steve's replies to the questions.
2010-02-09 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2664002

User image

thall0672 - 2010-02-09 12:42 PM Not a great run today! So I have my 5 mile race coming up this Sunday and in preparation for that I did 5 miles today (that's the longest distance I've run so far). Didn't go so well. The neuroma in my right foot started bothering me at around mile 2 as it always does. I tried putting cotton balls between my toes as Anne had mentioned doing. I had to stop at mile 3 and take them out because they were chafing so much! At mile 4 I started feeling neuroma pain in my LEFT foot!! (Please gods of distance running, isn't it enough to have a neuroma in just one foot?) Shortly after that the tight hip flexor/quad in my left leg that bothers me from time to time started yelling out. I was actually limping when I finished, which never happens. So with all the stopping and slowing down and aches and pains, it took me 68 minutes, 58 seconds to do 5 miles. I checked out the results of last year's race. If they are at all the same this year, I'm at risk of being the last to finish!! I have no problem being a back-of-the-packer, but to be last?? Okay, there was one woman last year in the age 70+ category who finished in 2:05. So maybe if she comes back this year she'll be my saving grace! How embarrassing it would be to get beaten by a 75 year old... I don't mean to be self-defeating but maybe I'm just not made for this! I mean, my body seems to be fighting me every step of the way. I was really struggling to keep up a slow trot today after mile 4. I was hoping to do a HM by next January but I can't see it happening if I can't get past these challenges. This is why I admire people like SteveB, SteveA and others who can push their bodies to the limit and do IMs. To me, a marathon alone would be an enormous physical and mental challenge, and in an IM that is just a mere PORTION of the race! I think I need to borrow Diane's motto: Yes, I can. Thanks for listening to my vent! Tracey

Hey Tracey,

That sucks to be sure.  Just my 2 cents - but keep the faith.  I've never dealt with neuroma before, and it might be a longish road, but I'm sure you'll get there.  When I started training for my first (and only to date) marathon several years ago, I couldn't run a mile without tears in my eyes from the knee pain.  Years of high-school wrestling and pick-up basketball had done a number on them.  But, I did my physical therapy, kept with the running, first one mile, then two, then three and between July and the following March was able to complete the marathon and have been relatively pain free ever since. 

Anyway, keep at it!  And keeping at it might mean taking the time to heal and treat the condition before running more.  Don't let artificial time lines dictate success or failure.  There are good workouts and bad ones.  Good miles and terrible miles.  In the end, success is simply moving forward, whatever that means to you personally. 
2010-02-09 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2663971

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA

Hi MARK:

So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Times like that are always so tough.

I'm using both the Triathlon Swimming Made Easy book and the Easy Freestyle DVD (although I haven't yet checked out the DVD).

Thanks,

Tracey

Tracey
I am going to strongly encourage you to watch the DVD for 2 reasons. First, it is newer and I think they have refined the techniques and methods. Some of the drills and ways drills are performed have changed. Second, and for me most helpful, is to see the technique being performed. I am much better at doing something if I can see it and try and mimic the behavior vs. trying to visualize it from a description and then implement it.
As a reminder, there is a free manual that you can download from the website that is a companion to the DVD. Here's the link, but I think you have to set up an account to access it (the account is free): http://www.totalimmersion.net/images/pdfs/easy-freestyle-manual.pdf
Good luck. Please let me know if this does or doesn't help. Mark
2010-02-09 5:46 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Mark, my thoughts are with you and your family.  Both of my parents were disabled for many years before they passed and it is hard. 

Tracey, I feel for you and your problems with the running!  Remember, this is the first week in more than a month that I will be in the pool twice in a week.  And I still can't swim even 200 yards freestyle without breaks.  But after the time off I definitely am making progress.  I concur on the DVD, I find it very helpful and keep reviewing it.  I can get my legs up on the balance and sweet spot drills but as soon as I do freestyle without a pull buoy they sink like a log.  So I'm still working on swimming downhill to get them up. 

My bike arrived today!  Yay!  It is at the bike shop and they think they will have it ready by the weekend.  Everything she sent fits perfectly, including the helmut and shoes, with the exception of the pants and shorts.  I suspect she has longer legs than I do and I have a longer torso.  Hopefully that means the bike will fit well with minimal adjustments.  But it will be awhile before I have the nerve to try the clipin shoes.  This feels like Christmas here with the bike, bike clothes, shoes, helmut, etc. 
2010-02-09 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2663455

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Ahhh! The Nirvana! Now THAT'S a model I can live with for you! (That is, based on your past shoe history.)

As for the recommendation for the heavier runner, the other side of that is a recommendation for someone doing >25 miles per week. So it's really an and/or, and while you miss the mark by a fair bit in terms of weight, you hit it dead-on for the mileage.

The Nirvana weighs in at about 12.0 oz, and it's brethren one step down is the 11.9oz Alchemy. What you maybe possibly conceivably can expect here is that the sacrifice you make in weight will be offset by some extra miles you will get out of the Nirvana. We (well, at least I) obsess about shoe weight, but it is really a very small difference, that one ounce between the Nirvana and the Alchemy.

Holy grinnin' catfish, were those workouts before work or during it? If during, you have a VERY accommodating job! Regardless, that's a fine day of athletic commitment, and the swim distance/time is excellent. I wish I had read this earlier, because knowing then what I know now, i would've gladly written you a note excusing you from work for the rest of the day. Well, maybe next time!

2010-02-09 5:55 PM

User image

Champion

MARK -

I was worried that something had happened to you, and while it is good that you are okay, I am very sorry about your ma-in-law. Lynn's parent both seem to be moving in a similar direction, and I know how very difficult it is for her and her siblings.

As much as you've been missed here, in the grand scheme of things we are way down the list of Life's Priorities for you, so no need to feel badly about being away. We'll look forward to your presence here whenever it can happen, and in the meantime I'll be thinking about you and your wife and your mother-in-law.

2010-02-09 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2663658

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

OwnIndex!! THAT'S the culprit.....my Waterloo....my Achilles tendon.....the ultimate irreconciliable difference between me and Polar! For neither love nor money could I figure out how to work that, so once again I had to sheepishly return a Polar product. I am SOOO envious of all of you who just smile nicely at this machinery and get it to work seamlessly for you!

I hope your run happens! our roads continue to get drier and drier, and with all the snow to the south of us, and now to the west of us, nothing is happening here except for the odd squuall that whisks in about 0.73cm - if that. Winterlude is now happening here, and the greta news is that the Canal could hardly be in better shape. And with neither thaw nor blizzard between now and at least Sunday, it will continue to be excellent for the gazillions of skaters who live to do the Canal!

2010-02-09 6:14 PM

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Well, if you ever needed proof that I've been a drill-slacker for years, you now have it in the dorm of my forgetting that "sweet spot" starts on the back and not the front. And to add further to my embarrassment, I have spent about ten minutes straining my brain in an effort to remember it actually being that way ( "Jeez, have they changed it since I last did it in spring '00?") ........ and I think I finally have some recollection of doing it starting on the back. I think. And now I have to work at remembering which of the drills begin on the front. I'm SO confused!!

I can say (with the smalest shred of drill-credibility I have remaining...) that all of those drills do indeed become easier with practice, and many of the more advanced ones actually feel really fine just naturally sliding into them. You should be there very soon!

2010-02-09 6:39 PM

Master
Kitchener
thall0672 - 2010-02-09 3:42 PM Not a great run today! So I have my 5 mile race coming up this Sunday and in preparation for that I did 5 miles today (that's the longest distance I've run so far). Didn't go so well. The neuroma in my right foot started bothering me at around mile 2 as it always does. I tried putting cotton balls between my toes as Anne had mentioned doing. I had to stop at mile 3 and take them out because they were chafing so much! At mile 4 I started feeling neuroma pain in my LEFT foot!! (Please gods of distance running, isn't it enough to have a neuroma in just one foot?) Shortly after that the tight hip flexor/quad in my left leg that bothers me from time to time started yelling out. I was actually limping when I finished, which never happens. So with all the stopping and slowing down and aches and pains, it took me 68 minutes, 58 seconds to do 5 miles. I checked out the results of last year's race. If they are at all the same this year, I'm at risk of being the last to finish!! I have no problem being a back-of-the-packer, but to be last?? Okay, there was one woman last year in the age 70+ category who finished in 2:05. So maybe if she comes back this year she'll be my saving grace! How embarrassing it would be to get beaten by a 75 year old... I don't mean to be self-defeating but maybe I'm just not made for this! I mean, my body seems to be fighting me every step of the way. I was really struggling to keep up a slow trot today after mile 4. I was hoping to do a HM by next January but I can't see it happening if I can't get past these challenges. This is why I admire people like SteveB, SteveA and others who can push their bodies to the limit and do IMs. To me, a marathon alone would be an enormous physical and mental challenge, and in an IM that is just a mere PORTION of the race! I think I need to borrow Diane's motto: Yes, I can. Thanks for listening to my vent! Tracey

TRACEY,

Sorry your run didn't go so well today.    I don't know what is going on with this neuroma stuff for us.    My problem is with my left and today it seemed to behave but I could feel some twinging in my RIGHT!    I tried the cotton balls as well and they worked OK walking around the house but they really bothered me on the run and I had to stop and take them out.  

I tried a different pair of shoes today - ones that were meant for trail running so pretty stiff on the mid/fore foot area and have been experimenting around the house with different shoes.    The neuroma doesn't seem to act up when the foot doesn't have alot of flexion there.   I don't know how that would impact our running style, but if it stops the pain I'm going to look into it further.  

I am going to my podiatrist tomorrow to see what he has to say about it and will let you know if he has any advice that might help us. 

Don't give up yet.   

2010-02-09 6:47 PM

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

Oh my, that was not the desired result from that run, was it? I mean, you scored a "hat trick" - two neuromas and a hip flexor - but that was not what the five miles was supposed to yield. It's time to start working at putting this run behind you, and preparing for the next one. We all have days similar to yours, and hopefully this will prove to be an isolated incident. And I'm guessing that maybe the hip flexor started acting up because you were altering your stride to favor your foot problems. So if we can just get those neuromae to fall in line.....

Here's some ideas on the cotton balls:
(1) Use BodyGlide (the greatest invention since strawberries!) of Vaseline between the affected toes.
(2) Tape them inplace before you start your run. Buy a small roll of fairly thin paper tape, and once you get the c.b. in place run a strip from the top of you foot over the c.b. and then stuck on the bottom of your foot just a bit forward of the ball of your foot. then take a second strip and wrap it around the two toes - not squeezing them together, but enough so that the c.b. won't move.

Those should combine to prevent chafing, I think!

As for the upcoming race and the possible embarrassment of a disappointing finish......well, if that happens just keep in mind that you are performing under duress. One neuroma? A second neuroma?? Hip flexor tightness??? Two's company and three's a crowd, and a crowd of injuries is a lot to work through effectively and successfully.

I know what you are feeling and what you are thinking and what you are projecting, and I just think it's too early to start thinking that you are "not made for this". What you are doing now is forging into pretty new territory, and there are thousands of people who have done this and had their body rebel ---- and then have ended up okay in the end. A lot of times it will feel like one step forward and two steps back, but as we often focus on the negative things that befall us, we don't always notice the small improvements that happen, seemingly while we're asleep!

You've made huge strides with swimming, and those have happened very quickly. If your neuroma could only behave better, I suspect you would be showing similar progress with your running. As it is now, you are making it to two miles, and that's 2/3 of the way to a sprint triathlon run, so in my way of looking at things as if the glass is half full rather than half empty, I see that as being tantalizingly close to being a bonafide triathlete (THE NEXT POST WILL BUILD ON THIS STATEMENT!)! Ta-da!

Historically, neuroma have not ended very many careers. Achilles have, and hamstrings have, but not neuromas. They sometimes require a lot of TLC and a down-scaling of goals (that is, shorter races), but most people can run through them to some degree. And as has been mentioned here by you and me and Anne - and, by extension, our various medical support crews - there are "cures" for neuromas, but they are not always easily arrived at. You're still very early in the treatment stage for this, figuring out where and how to use pads and/or cotton balls, and how often to get injected, and whether surgery is a viable option, and so on and so forth.

I sure haven't given up on you yet!!!

Onwards to the next post to you!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-02-09 7:21 PM

2010-02-09 7:17 PM

User image

Champion

TRACEY once more -

You wrote: "This is why I admire people like SteveB, SteveA, and others who can push their bodies to the limit and do IMS."

Well, I know what you are saying, but I've got to tell you that someone who trains seriously for a sprint is working just as hard and showing just as much strength and fortitude and commitment and someone who is training for a ironman. In fact, probably the hardest training I have done is for olympic distance races, where there is the gnarly combination of intensity and endurance. And while I was quite wiped after my two IMs, those were not the races in which I pushed my body to the limit. There have been a handful of shorter races, sprints and olys, in which I felt like I'd maybe gone over to the Other Side at the end of the race!

I'm not diminishing the training required for an ironman, because it's lots of looooong lonely hours, but the pushing of my body to its limits comes in the red-line efforts of the shorter races. On the surface it is "only", say a 800meter swim and a 25km bike and a 5km run, but how it plays out can be exceedingly demanding.

And that's just the physical side of it. As for the mental aspects, to do half-irons and irons you have to dig deep and not let the miles and the cumulative fatigue erode your soul down to a nubbin. But then there is the red-line sprint or oly, where the mind is screaming to STOP! or at least SLOW THE HELL DOWN!, and you need to fight that for all you're worth. I mean, it's a dilemma -- which State of Mind is less debilitataing and crippling?

The real kicker in all of this is that the tests DO NOT have to come from only ultra-distance challenges or red-line efforts -- they are present anytime anybody exceeds what they previously thought was possible. I have witnessed many, many emotional moments at finish lines from people who are back-of-the-pack, and what they're displaying is sheer joy for the task they have accomplished. I have seen it at IM and marathons, and I've seen it at super-sprints and try-a-tri events. It's always incredibly moving for me to see this, as it just demonstrates the scope of the challenges that we can view as worthy.

I spent a bunch of years thinking that IM was The Holy Grail, and while it does in fact remain a significant accomplishment for me, there are several others that loom larger, with the sum effect being that I view any serious goal as being of grail-like significance. I really and truly mean that. I fully understand how and why people view ironman the way they do, and I would never dissuade anybody for aiming in that direction when they had enough experience to do it justice. But, ultimately, it's just another challenge, and even though its physical and mental requirements are unique, they don't necessarily confer any greater degree of commitment and fortitude than it takes to race a shorter event -- or even to show up at the starting line with two troublesome neuromae and a wonky hip flexor! Ya wanna see "tough"? Have someone take a photo of you at the race on Sunday. You're one tough cookie in my book, Tracey!

YES YOU CAN!!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-02-09 7:23 PM
2010-02-09 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2664449

User image

stevebradley - 2010-02-09 3:47 PM STEVE - Ahhh! The Nirvana! Now THAT'S a model I can live with for you! (That is, based on your past shoe history.) As for the recommendation for the heavier runner, the other side of that is a recommendation for someone doing >25 miles per week. So it's really an and/or, and while you miss the mark by a fair bit in terms of weight, you hit it dead-on for the mileage. The Nirvana weighs in at about 12.0 oz, and it's brethren one step down is the 11.9oz Alchemy. What you maybe possibly conceivably can expect here is that the sacrifice you make in weight will be offset by some extra miles you will get out of the Nirvana. We (well, at least I) obsess about shoe weight, but it is really a very small difference, that one ounce between the Nirvana and the Alchemy. Holy grinnin' catfish, were those workouts before work or during it? If during, you have a VERY accommodating job! Regardless, that's a fine day of athletic commitment, and the swim distance/time is excellent. I wish I had read this earlier, because knowing then what I know now, i would've gladly written you a note excusing you from work for the rest of the day. Well, maybe next time!

Thanks Steve.  While the run this morning was better than Saturday, I had the nagging worry in my mind of "what if Steve says these are still the wrong shoes?" and kept thinking, "I'm screwing up my legs!"  Good to hear that you don't think the weight really matters.  Half a poundish I guess is pretty minor.  That's a few gels and part of a fuel belt...LOL.

And, yep, those are morning miles.  I am now up at 4:30 am M/W to get in the swim/run workouts.  On Tu/Th I get to "sleep in" until 5:15!  Woo-hoo!  I've already talked to the boss, and let him know that during my peak period (starts next week), I'm likely not in the office until 9:00 on M/W.  I'm figuring pool opens at 5:00.  Swim to 6:30, quick change,  run from 6:40 to 8:10ish, then cool down enough to shower, change and drive to work.  

Maggie keeps telling me to sleep in and do it after work, but I'm starting to prefer getting it out of the way in the morning.  Frees up time in the PM to relax a bit.
2010-02-09 11:37 PM

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 7:46 AM
2010-02-10 5:35 AM
in reply to: #2664533

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-09 7:47 PM

TRACEY again -

Oh my, that was not the desired result from that run, was it? I mean, you scored a "hat trick" - two neuromas and a hip flexor - but that was not what the five miles was supposed to yield. It's time to start working at putting this run behind you, and preparing for the next one. We all have days similar to yours, and hopefully this will prove to be an isolated incident. And I'm guessing that maybe the hip flexor started acting up because you were altering your stride to favor your foot problems. So if we can just get those neuromae to fall in line.....

Here's some ideas on the cotton balls:
(1) Use BodyGlide (the greatest invention since strawberries!) of Vaseline between the affected toes.
(2) Tape them inplace before you start your run. Buy a small roll of fairly thin paper tape, and once you get the c.b. in place run a strip from the top of you foot over the c.b. and then stuck on the bottom of your foot just a bit forward of the ball of your foot. then take a second strip and wrap it around the two toes - not squeezing them together, but enough so that the c.b. won't move.

Those should combine to prevent chafing, I think!

Thank you STEVE!

I was fishing around in the well-stocked first-aid kit we have (my husband gets a little crazy - he even put scalpels and disposable betadine applicators in there... not sure what type of emergency surgery he's anticipating...)

I found these little toe spacers I had bought that are made out of a squishy gel-like material. I think they're designed to go between the first and second toe to treat bunion pain, but I had actually bought them to put beneath my toes when I first started having pain (before I saw a doctor and was diagnosed with the neuroma). I may stock up on a few of these and place them between the 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes on both feet. For good measure, just in case, I'm going to tape them per your suggestion too.

And I think Aleve on the morning of the race won't hurt either!

Tracey

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276