BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-02-10 5:36 AM
in reply to: #2664067

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
Dwayne - 2010-02-09 4:06 PM

Mark- Thoughts are with you and the rest of your family.Tracey- I am about the same stage you are, if not a little farther behind. Sorry I can't help you, but thanks for the help I have been getting from your experiences and Steve's replies to the questions.

Sorry Dwayne. I think I'm getting you confused with another guy on here who practices TI... Can't remember his name now!

2010-02-10 5:38 AM
in reply to: #2664259

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
TriD64 - 2010-02-09 5:19 PM

Tracey
I am going to strongly encourage you to watch the DVD for 2 reasons. First, it is newer and I think they have refined the techniques and methods. Some of the drills and ways drills are performed have changed. Second, and for me most helpful, is to see the technique being performed. I am much better at doing something if I can see it and try and mimic the behavior vs. trying to visualize it from a description and then implement it.
As a reminder, there is a free manual that you can download from the website that is a companion to the DVD. Here's the link, but I think you have to set up an account to access it (the account is free): http://www.totalimmersion.net/images/pdfs/easy-freestyle-manual.pdf
Good luck. Please let me know if this does or doesn't help. Mark

Hi MARK:

The link is extremely helpful. I'm going to print it out and take a closer look at it. And I will definitely watch the DVD. Thank you so much!

Tracey

2010-02-10 5:51 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Thank you everyone for the kind words and motivation! It is really very much appreciated.

STEVEA: I'm glad you reminded me about everyone having good miles and bad miles. I remember a friend of mine (who is distance runner extraordinaire) who DNF a marathon a few months back. So even SHE has bad miles!

DIANE: Can I give you a tip that might help with keeping your legs up in the water? I was using a pull buoy a lot for while too, and when I tried to "wean" myself off of it, I would feel a huge difference in drag, speed, etc.

When you're swimming, try to think about pressing your belly button down into the water. So you'll almost be arching your back a little bit, and making a slight arc with your body. I found that by pushing my mid-torso down like this, my legs responded by floating up. In fact when I really concentrate on pushing my belly button down, I can almost feel my calves and heels break the surface of the water when I kick. So that must mean they're right up at the surface where they're supposed to be!

ANNE: Thank you for sharing your tips from your doctor. One of these days maybe we'll find something that helps us!

STEVEB: Thanks for reminding me that this is a journey, complete with detours, left turns, right turns, and even u-turns! I have a tendency to think of a goal as something that you get to by following a perfectly straight line. It's good to remember that in any journey, you rarely follow that straight path all the way there!

I'll be headed out for a 3 mile run today. I'm determined to make it a good one!

Thanks everyone,

Tracey

2010-02-10 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2663643

New user
TriD64 - 2010-02-09 1:39 PM
stevebradley - 2010-02-09 6:37 AM MARK hasn't been here for a while, but maybe he is just reading and not writing. But he seems to have more TI experience than any of us, so I hope he sees this and comments.
Hi all Sorry I haven't been a very active participant. Unfortunately, I will probably continue to be minimally active. My mother-in-law has had some chronic health issues for the last 8-9 years and it looks like they are finally nearing an end-stage. My wife (who is a nurse and due to her own desires and the expectations of the family) is very involved in her care. Over the weekend the decision was made to end aggressive interventions and pursue hospice care. The nature of her heath issues means this could be a few weeks or several months. As a result, things are topsy-turvy (as those who have had similar experiences can attest, I'm sure) and my training time and other non-essentials time is very limited. As well, there are some work needs that are demanding a lot of time right now. I know you all understand, and some have/had similar situations. Just wanted to let you know that I have found the mentoring experience enjoyable and informative. I will participate as I can. Tracy, what guide are you using for the drills you are practicing, Is it the Easy Freestyle DVD or the book? Mark

Mark,

Sorry to hear about this. My sympathies to your family. I wish you all the best.
2010-02-10 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2664612

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Aw, I'm sorry (still) about being a pain in the patooty about the shoes ("What if Steve sayst hese are still the wrong shoes?"). It's just that my own history has been strafed and pock-marked with shoes that didn't work well for me, and there have been times that I was a regular returner of shoes that raised alarms after just one or two brief runs.

In extreme cases I am convinced that the wrong shoes can lead to problems that take ages to resolve, and that many aspiring running "careers" have been cut short by injuries stemming from the wrong shoes. For people with any sort of pre-disposed foot problems, I believe that it can take only the smallest of a "wrong" feature it a shoe to set off a chain of injuries. I know that sounds kind of doomsday-ish, but there you have it. At any rate, i will try to quell my urges to preach doom and gloom about shoes!

It's great that you have an understanding boss, but even greater is your willingness to do your training so early in the morning. I used to be pretty good that way, but not near the extent that you seem to be. Your schedule - and commitment - is very impresssive!

So, it's about 7:20 now, and I wonder what you've managed to knock off already today!

2010-02-10 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2665013

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

That's a funny story about the well-stocked first-aid kit and you not being sure of the "emergency surgery he's anticipating". Have you told us everything? Defibrilators? Endoscopy tubes?

The toe spacers might work, and at the very least they are worth a try. Really, the sky is the limit in tinkering with different potential remedies, so give the squishy spacers a shot!

Aleve is a good idea on race day. In general it is NOT a good idea to use pain-relievers to mask the pain, as more damage can happen than you are aware of at the time. However, I don't put neuromas in that category, as I think that when they are aggravated they are not getting any worse - they are just activated. I am sure that there were runs I did with pain-killers for my neuroma, and as long as you are moderate about them it should be okay.

Darren. It was Darren ("BigDH") who had spent time with TI. He hasn't been here in a while - another one I worry about. It's like herding cats!

Ken has been gone since his first post. Linda has been gone for a long time. Robyn for a while, but not as long. Dee returned from her big trip, posted once or twice, and hasn't been back in a couple of weeks. Arthur has been AWOL for a couple of weeks. I think Cathy is in the middle of one of her killer nine-days-of-long-day works stints. And "thatgirl" and "hooslisa" returned to the other group.

It's time to send out some serious cosmic vibes and twangle these people back here!

2010-02-10 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2664476

New user
Steve,

That makes sense. The Polar's seem to have quite the reputation of not being as user friendly as the Garmin's. Garmin's seem to have more support outside of their own software as well.

Run outside?!?!? In the cold?!?!?!   No thanks, all my runs are in the gym on a treadmill. My aunt has been giving me a hard time about that. She's told me more than once I'm not a runner until I run outside. She's 41, quit smoking in Oct and since has joined a running group, raced in a 5K and raced in a 10K all with no running background. So this given me some motivation when it comes to running.

I did get a core strengthening workout, a 30 min run and a 900m swim in last night. Pushed the run to a new high at 6.2mph and 1.0 deg incline as I'm now trying for 2-3 short runs and one longer run a week. No issues during the run, felt good other than whole 'I'm doing this for how long? Why?' discussion in my head. Afterwards though the outside of my left knee hurt, not during though. Hurt again this morning than had a crack/pop in that area and it feels better. Does that sound normal for ITB?

Also, for grins at the start of the run I tried running as is demonstrated on the Newtons website by striking with my forefoot. I could see how the change from heel to forefoot striking would cause some issues as in 5 minutes my calves were getting sore like I've never experienced from running. Interesting theory, not sure I 100% agree with what is on the Newton's website but I'm no expert.

Swim was broken into 300m chunks as it was after the run. First 600 felt good and strong. Last 300 were slower. Your Tharpism comments make his book sound intriguing. Might have to check it out at a bookstore one day.

Tracey,

Sorry to hear about the run. I think the Steve's have nailed it that we are not on a simple A to B drive. There's going to be bumps and challenges and setbacks. I wish you luck in your race!

Based on this discussion of nureoma, I'm not envious of any of you that have/had it and wish you success in getting through it.
2010-02-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2664583

User image

stevebradley - 2010-02-09 5:17 PM TRACEY once more - You wrote: "This is why I admire people like SteveB, SteveA, and others who can push their bodies to the limit and do IMS." Well, I know what you are saying, but I've got to tell you that someone who trains seriously for a sprint is working just as hard and showing just as much strength and fortitude and commitment and someone who is training for a ironman. In fact, probably the hardest training I have done is for olympic distance races, where there is the gnarly combination of intensity and endurance. And while I was quite wiped after my two IMs, those were not the races in which I pushed my body to the limit. There have been a handful of shorter races, sprints and olys, in which I felt like I'd maybe gone over to the Other Side at the end of the race! I'm not diminishing the training required for an ironman, because it's lots of looooong lonely hours, but the pushing of my body to its limits comes in the red-line efforts of the shorter races. On the surface it is "only", say a 800meter swim and a 25km bike and a 5km run, but how it plays out can be exceedingly demanding. And that's just the physical side of it. As for the mental aspects, to do half-irons and irons you have to dig deep and not let the miles and the cumulative fatigue erode your soul down to a nubbin. But then there is the red-line sprint or oly, where the mind is screaming to STOP! or at least SLOW THE HELL DOWN!, and you need to fight that for all you're worth. I mean, it's a dilemma -- which State of Mind is less debilitataing and crippling? The real kicker in all of this is that the tests DO NOT have to come from only ultra-distance challenges or red-line efforts -- they are present anytime anybody exceeds what they previously thought was possible. I have witnessed many, many emotional moments at finish lines from people who are back-of-the-pack, and what they're displaying is sheer joy for the task they have accomplished. I have seen it at IM and marathons, and I've seen it at super-sprints and try-a-tri events. It's always incredibly moving for me to see this, as it just demonstrates the scope of the challenges that we can view as worthy. I spent a bunch of years thinking that IM was The Holy Grail, and while it does in fact remain a significant accomplishment for me, there are several others that loom larger, with the sum effect being that I view any serious goal as being of grail-like significance. I really and truly mean that. I fully understand how and why people view ironman the way they do, and I would never dissuade anybody for aiming in that direction when they had enough experience to do it justice. But, ultimately, it's just another challenge, and even though its physical and mental requirements are unique, they don't necessarily confer any greater degree of commitment and fortitude than it takes to race a shorter event -- or even to show up at the starting line with two troublesome neuromae and a wonky hip flexor! Ya wanna see "tough"? Have someone take a photo of you at the race on Sunday. You're one tough cookie in my book, Tracey! YES YOU CAN!!

X 1 billion!  Right on Steve!
2010-02-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2665661

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
SAquavia - 2010-02-10 10:38 AM
stevebradley - 2010-02-09 5:17 PM TRACEY once more - You wrote: "This is why I admire people like SteveB, SteveA, and others who can push their bodies to the limit and do IMS." Well, I know what you are saying, but I've got to tell you that someone who trains seriously for a sprint is working just as hard and showing just as much strength and fortitude and commitment and someone who is training for a ironman. In fact, probably the hardest training I have done is for olympic distance races, where there is the gnarly combination of intensity and endurance. And while I was quite wiped after my two IMs, those were not the races in which I pushed my body to the limit. There have been a handful of shorter races, sprints and olys, in which I felt like I'd maybe gone over to the Other Side at the end of the race! I'm not diminishing the training required for an ironman, because it's lots of looooong lonely hours, but the pushing of my body to its limits comes in the red-line efforts of the shorter races. On the surface it is "only", say a 800meter swim and a 25km bike and a 5km run, but how it plays out can be exceedingly demanding. And that's just the physical side of it. As for the mental aspects, to do half-irons and irons you have to dig deep and not let the miles and the cumulative fatigue erode your soul down to a nubbin. But then there is the red-line sprint or oly, where the mind is screaming to STOP! or at least SLOW THE HELL DOWN!, and you need to fight that for all you're worth. I mean, it's a dilemma -- which State of Mind is less debilitataing and crippling? The real kicker in all of this is that the tests DO NOT have to come from only ultra-distance challenges or red-line efforts -- they are present anytime anybody exceeds what they previously thought was possible. I have witnessed many, many emotional moments at finish lines from people who are back-of-the-pack, and what they're displaying is sheer joy for the task they have accomplished. I have seen it at IM and marathons, and I've seen it at super-sprints and try-a-tri events. It's always incredibly moving for me to see this, as it just demonstrates the scope of the challenges that we can view as worthy. I spent a bunch of years thinking that IM was The Holy Grail, and while it does in fact remain a significant accomplishment for me, there are several others that loom larger, with the sum effect being that I view any serious goal as being of grail-like significance. I really and truly mean that. I fully understand how and why people view ironman the way they do, and I would never dissuade anybody for aiming in that direction when they had enough experience to do it justice. But, ultimately, it's just another challenge, and even though its physical and mental requirements are unique, they don't necessarily confer any greater degree of commitment and fortitude than it takes to race a shorter event -- or even to show up at the starting line with two troublesome neuromae and a wonky hip flexor! Ya wanna see "tough"? Have someone take a photo of you at the race on Sunday. You're one tough cookie in my book, Tracey! YES YOU CAN!!

I have yet to experience the total joy I felt when I finished my 1st 5k - and I came in 2nd to last.  Not even finishing a marathon was as satisfying - almost but not quite.
Denise
2010-02-10 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2665879

User image

LadyNorth - 2010-02-10 9:55 AM
SAquavia - 2010-02-10 10:38 AM

I have yet to experience the total joy I felt when I finished my 1st 5k - and I came in 2nd to last.  Not even finishing a marathon was as satisfying - almost but not quite.
Denise

Not to beat a dead horse (but then again, the horse doesn't care anymore...wow...PETA is going to come after me for that!), but as my Vegas friend reminds me, races are simply celebrations of all the training that has happened.  Running races is not hard, training is hard.  So what happens in the race is quite insignificant if you remember all the training that came before. 

Another perspective - if there are 2,000 people racing, and 10,000 watching, then the slowest of the 2,000 has achieved infinitely more than any of the 10,000 watching. 
2010-02-10 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2665508

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-10 10:45 AM

Darren. It was Darren ("BigDH") who had spent time with TI. He hasn't been here in a while - another one I worry about. It's like herding cats!

Darren! That's who I was thinking of... Yes, there have been a few who have dropped off. I guess that's normal, right?

I will be sure not to overuse the painkillers. My husband constantly reminds me of the stomach/bleeding issues you can get with chronic use of anti-inflamms.

Thanks!

Tracey

2010-02-10 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
MARK, sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. We went through that with my father-in-law last year. Thankfully, the hospice team will keep her comfortable and be there to offer your family support. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, and we'll all be here when you can get back to it.

And ALL, each of you is so supportive and full of wisdom. Thanks for that!

Lisa
2010-02-10 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2666740

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Where was your husband in my life about 15 years ago? To wit:

I went through a period that was characterized by bad earaches and bad headaches. So, to combat these I started taking more aspirin. I didn't bother to keep track of them, but I took them when it was needed. If it was needed at midnight, on an empty stomach, I took them. The short story can jump ahead to constant stomach-gnawing, and then one evening a "pop" in my gut, followed by some unseemly bleeding, then an emergency, and about three days in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer. Surprise!!

I just had no idea. I have an exceedingly un-addictive personality, so it was a real shock to me to see how easily something can get away from a person. I have not used straight aspirin since then, and for years stuck with acetominophen-based products. I can handle Advil okay, it seems, but in all instances I'm just very leery of taking anything at all. I do it.....but with one figurative eye peering over my figurative shoulder, checking out what might be gaining on me!

It's odd how things happen. Lynn is having a "routine" endoscopy tomorrow, which I guess is what prompted that wise-guy comment about endoscopy tubes in my earlier post. But I had one in '95 or whenever it was that I was ulcerated, and somehow that has entered into the discussion here with talk of overusing anti-inflams. Holy-moly, I sure am glad that that miserable episode is way, way behind me!

2010-02-11 6:18 AM
in reply to: #2667037

User image

Champion

DIANE -

Any word from the bike shop yet? Huh? Huh? Any word? Is it ready yet? Huh?

Life has to be pretty slow here in eastern Ontario to make it so that the biggest thrill in my life these days is living vicariously through you and your bike!

How's your shoulder? Mine has been acting up some, not sure why. (Maybe it's a 2-for-1, wherein if I assume some of the joy of your new bike I also have to assume some of your shoulder woe. Yikes!)

Bike ready?

Huh?

2010-02-11 6:21 AM
in reply to: #2666740

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

And the three-miler??

2010-02-11 6:23 AM
in reply to: #2665512

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Skulking at your log, I see what looks to be a promising run there! 30 minutes? Were those in the more rigid shoes? Has a posssible remedy been unearthed?? Details, please!

Also, great-lookin' swim!

2010-02-11 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2665512

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Great updates and details!

No, your symptoms don't really ring of ITB. usually it is awful during a run and fine afterwards, other than for going up and/or down stairs. But different people display the same injury differently, so I wouldn't necessarily rule out ITB. But were it my my knee behaving like your knee, I'd look beyond ITB -- which I will try to do for you. The crack/pop business is odd.

If you are going to mess around with Newton ideas, which are an extension of Chi Running, then aim more for you midfoot to begin with. DEFINITELY do not aim for the forefoot, as that was my undoing when I began that whole journey in Nov. '07. Newtons were in their infancy then, and the website was very enthusiastic about forefoot running. But in time, and as injury reports mounted, they have changed much of the info on the site to reflect a more cautious and guarded approach to becoming a midfoot/forefoot striker. But at the time I was WAY OUT THERE on my forefoot, and paid heavily for it with plantar fasciitis that evolved from the calf problems; related Achilles issues developed later. But, I have become a much better runner since beginning this particular journey, so I'm not going to complain too-too much!

As for the swim, I guess thta's pretty usual for me, too -- start strong finish slightly less strong. One thing to try is "sandwiching" the 300s. you can either do the first strong, the second easy, the third at least one second faster than the first, or go easy on one and three and make the middle one a full-out effort. Maybe for the next two swims, do the easy-hard-easy sequence in the first swim, and the hard-easy-hard(er) in the second swim.

Yeah, I have to post more Tharpisms! Not doing that is just me being lazy. But I really love that book, and I wish it would catch on. Even though I haven't transcribed any of his thoughts and ideas since the one several days ago, I've been riffling through it everyday and just thoroughly enjoying it. But I'll warn you -- it's a tough thing to find at a bookstore!

Any movement of the Garmin 305? I'd take Denise's recommendation and go for it!!

2010-02-11 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2667332

User image

Champion

SHAUN again -

A third approach to the 3 X 300 is to keep them as consistent as possible -- which is kind of a goal for a triathlon swim. Seeing as how you don't have a watch yet, use the big clock at the pool and time your first 300 -- but don't do it at maximum I-just-got-in-the-water-and-feel-GREAT speed. Dial it down a notch and see what your time for it is -- and then aim to do the next two at the same pace.

By the way, doing 300s is a nice middle distance to work at!

Glub, glub!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-02-11 4:57 PM
2010-02-11 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2667308

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

stevebradley - 2010-02-11 6:18 AM DIANE - Any word from the bike shop yet? Huh? Huh? Any word? Is it ready yet? Huh? Life has to be pretty slow here in eastern Ontario to make it so that the biggest thrill in my life these days is living vicariously through you and your bike! How's your shoulder? Mine has been acting up some, not sure why. (Maybe it's a 2-for-1, wherein if I assume some of the joy of your new bike I also have to assume some of your shoulder woe. Yikes!) Bike ready? Huh?

Yup, picked it up last night!  Spent two hours with the guy at the bike shop who was incredibly helpful.  Took him a long time to find the instructions online to program the computer but he stuck to it until it is correct.  The really great news is that the frame is the right size for me.  He did not do a total fitting but adjusted the seat to the right height, etc.  He said it looks like it has very few miles on it.  Despite the shoes she sent, it is not a clipless pedal but has the cages.  He took off the strap that goes all the way around until I get used to the bike so I can put my foot down quickly.  He too suggested going with the clipless down the road but he suggested the mountain bike clipless rather than the traditional road bike clipless.  For doing tris, he said with the mountain bike clipless you get more traction on the sole of the shoes to move into and out of the transition area, while still getting the hardness of the shoe in the middle for pedaling.  Your thoughts Steve?  In any event, that is down the road.

Did not have a chance to test ride it yet.  It was dark by the time I got home and it is SNOWING here in North Texas today.  Given the forecast and temps, most likely won't be until Sunday at the earliest.  I've located and downloaded the Trek Manuals and specs, as well as the one I found for the computer.  Just working my way through it trying to figure everything out.  I alternate between being extremely excited and very nervous.  The shifting system is totally new to me, my bikes in the past had the turn things on the handle bars.  He also cautioned me about speed, that it will be much faster than anything I've ridden before.  I think for my first trial ride I need to go to a deserted parking lot.  All in all it is pretty exciting, feels like I am one step closer to really doing this. 

Not having any problems with my shoulders at the moment.  I did not swim yesterday, did 18 minutes on the stationary bike followed  by a 12 min run.  I continue to be amazed that I can run so much faster after coming off the bike than I usually do.  Feels very weird.  Back in the pool tomorrow and I am curious to see how my shoulders hold up.  I am doing very little upper body strength training as that seemed to be hindering my shoulders, just my specified rehab exercises.  I also am in the process of changing my recovery day to Thursdays (today) to rest everything before my longer workouts on the weekends.  So my shoulders should be in good shape for the pool tomorrow.

TRACEY, thanks for the tip on getting my legs up.  My trainer still wants me using a pull buoy to reduce the drag on my shoulders but I will keep it in mind for down the road. 

2010-02-11 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2667037

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-10 9:52 PM

TRACEY -

Where was your husband in my life about 15 years ago? To wit:

I went through a period that was characterized by bad earaches and bad headaches. So, to combat these I started taking more aspirin. I didn't bother to keep track of them, but I took them when it was needed. If it was needed at midnight, on an empty stomach, I took them. The short story can jump ahead to constant stomach-gnawing, and then one evening a "pop" in my gut, followed by some unseemly bleeding, then an emergency, and about three days in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer. Surprise!!

I just had no idea. I have an exceedingly un-addictive personality, so it was a real shock to me to see how easily something can get away from a person. I have not used straight aspirin since then, and for years stuck with acetominophen-based products. I can handle Advil okay, it seems, but in all instances I'm just very leery of taking anything at all. I do it.....but with one figurative eye peering over my figurative shoulder, checking out what might be gaining on me!

It's odd how things happen. Lynn is having a "routine" endoscopy tomorrow, which I guess is what prompted that wise-guy comment about endoscopy tubes in my earlier post. But I had one in '95 or whenever it was that I was ulcerated, and somehow that has entered into the discussion here with talk of overusing anti-inflams. Holy-moly, I sure am glad that that miserable episode is way, way behind me!

Ya those anti-inflamms can be nasty, huh? I hope your wife's endoscopy goes well!

2010-02-11 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2667310

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-11 7:21 AM

TRACEY -

And the three-miler??

It went MUCH better, thanks for asking!

I took an Aleve before the run and also put some Biofreeze on the hip flexor. I actually felt like I could keep going at the end of the 3 miles, so let's hope I can carry that energy into Sunday's race!

2010-02-11 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2667313

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-02-11 7:23 AM ANNE - Skulking at your log, I see what looks to be a promising run there! 30 minutes? Were those in the more rigid shoes? Has a posssible remedy been unearthed?? Details, please! Also, great-lookin' swim!

Hi STEVE,

Oh, oh!!  Now you know that I have a bad habit of entering my planned workouts for the day before I do them.    Embarassed    

My run did turn out well.   However, I was not too hopeful before I started.   After a pretty much useless visit to the podiatrist yesterday, I decided I am going back to running without orthotics.   I have had nothing but problems with my running since I was 'prescribed' them.   These guys really bug me.   They get SO defensive if they think you are questioning them.    I just asked him - can you check my feet again? Do you think maybe I don't even need the orthotics?    He didn't like that! and said that I had come to him with a neuroma problem (wrong).   I went to him for a 2nd opinion to see if I really needed orthotics based on what the first guy had said.    I casually mentioned I had an occasional problem with the neuroma.   During my visit yesterday,  I pointed out that the left foot was starting to get a hard patch of skin on the top and he said that had nothing to do with the orthotics.    To my way of thinking, that means pressure in that area and I have done nothing different, so maybe the orthotic is too thick in that area (excactly where the padding is for the neuroma).   SO, he puts an ADDITIONAL piece of padding on the bottom of the orthotic and says to try that for 6 weeks.   All that does is put even more pressure on the top of the foot.     After talking with my husband, who pointed out I had NO problems before the orthotics, and nothing BUT problems with them, I am dumping them.

Went to my running store this morning and got a pair of Saucony Progrid Echelon shoes and ran 4 (interrupted) kms today and they were great.    The details (lots of them, are in my log. 

BTW, I did the run after biking 20km, and am doing my swim at 2:00 p.m.    

I was supposed to bike yesterday but it didn't happen because of podiatrist appt and other commitments and I don't normally make up a missed workout but I did feel the bike and run were important.   I am giving up the yoga today.

Talk to you soon.   Have a whole bunch of stuff to ask you.

2010-02-11 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
All
Following this discussion about NSAIDS, I think I read somewhere recently (last edition of Triathlete magazine, maybe) that white tea has anti-inflammatory benefits. Does anyone know more about this or tried white tea for this effect? I take an Aleve every morning and would love to find an alternative.
Thanks, Mark
2010-02-11 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2667900

User image

FoxfireTX - 2010-02-11 9:06 AM

Did not have a chance to test ride it yet.  It was dark by the time I got home and it is SNOWING here in North Texas today.  Given the forecast and temps, most likely won't be until Sunday at the earliest. 

DIANE,
So excited for you.  Nothing better or worse than a new bike in the garage just waiting for the initial ride!  Like Christmas Eve.
2010-02-11 1:49 PM

User image

STEVE B,

I realized I had not responded to some prior questions and comments, so, catching up...

SHOES - no worries.  I am paranoid about new shoes all on my own, and would have been regardless.  Anytime anything changes on my setup (shoes, bike, sport drink, gels, whatever,) I am hyper-sensitive to the impact.

KANSAS JAYHAWKS!  Well, we showed Texas!  (Sorry Diane)  :-)  I was actually born and raised in Kansas, though I went to Boulder for college.  However, I've always loved Jayhawk basketball.  My dad and I are actually meeting in Lawrence on the 20th to watch them play Colorado of all teams (oh, the irony of it all!).  But, yes, it is a great campus and town for sure.  I'd be envious should you get your doctorate there, as I secretly kind of regret going to Colorado instead of Kansas. 

Other than that, nothing really new.  Workout this morning was good again. I'm feeling more confident about the swim each session, as I am the run.  The knees, I have to admit, are more sore than normal, but it is more of a dull ache than anything - nothing acute, so I'm not particularly worried about any "injuries".  Interval work was good, I think.  The schedule called for 4x 5 minutes in Z4, but with the soreness of late, I decided to do a reverse pyramid, starting at 5 minutes, then 4, 3, 2 and 1 but upping the pace of each, just to shake things up.  The good thing about today's workout was that my "cruising" speed was up to 6.5 mph and my bpm were under 150 at that pace, which is low for me. 

And that, as they say, is that.  Tomorrow is going to be a very easy-paced brick, then it's off to St. George to scout things out. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276