BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-02-11 6:07 PM
in reply to: #2667349

Master
Kitchener
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
stevebradley - 2010-02-11 7:58 AM SHAUN again - A third approach to the 3 X 300 is to keep them as consistent as possible -- which is kind of a goal for a triathlon swim. Seeing as how you don't have a watch yet, use the big clock at the pool and time your first 300 -- but don't do it at maximum I-just-got-in-the-water-and-feel-GREAT speed. Dial it down a notch and see what your time for it is -- and then aim to do the next two at the same pace. By the way, doing 300s is a nice middle distance to work at! Glub, glub!

I tried following your advice to Shaun on doing some 300's and it worked nicely for me today.  I have been sticking to the 200's and still afraid to try them fast.   I know the swim coach will have me do them on Saturday so I thought if I work on some easy 300's the 200's will seem easier even if he makes me go fast.   Laughing    I only see him about every 3 weeks; that's how long it seems to take my stroke to deteriorate.   Frown  

I hope Lynne is feeling OK after her endoscopy and that everything went well.

Anne

2010-02-11 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2559115

Master
Kitchener
DIANE,

Congratulations on getting the new bike.    I can just imagine how excited you are.   It's really nice when things fall into place like that.   You should take a picture of you and your bike when you go for that first ride and post it.

Great news about the shoulder as well.   

Hope you had a good recovery day and are all set for your training this weekend.  
2010-02-11 6:27 PM

Master
Kitchener
TRACEY,

Sorry to say I have nothing to share from my podiatrist visit - pretty much a waste of time in my view.    A couple of things I am doing though are wearing some really good hiking boots during the day (even in the house) and icing and massaging the foot.    The hiking boots are sort of like an air cast - keeps the foot nice and stable with little movement which helps the healing process (if there is anything that needs healing/rest).   I am pretty much grasping at anything right now that might help.   And the foot does feel really good with the boots on.   Not so, when I walk around in socks or flimsy mocassins, etc.   Although there is no pain, I can feel the nerve being twingy without good support.

I also did something today that  Steve mentioned in an earlier post about taking the shoe off and rubbing the foot vigorously when the neuroma got really painful.    It really worked for me.   I did it after every km (indoor track) and had no pain for the last 3 kms.    That's not going to be too helpful in a race, but maybe even once might make a difference.

Good luck on your race this weekend.  

2010-02-11 6:33 PM

User image

So, I've realized that my job and my love of training are no longer compatible.  Not that I'm going to give up either of them, but I just realized this. 

In particular are running days.  Run for 1 - 1.5 hours and then go sit in the car getting to work.  Then sit at a desk all day.  By the end of the day, the feet are so...irritated.  I guess it's the way the chair catches the back of the leg and affects the circulation.  I'm seriously considering getting one of those giant workout bouncy balls you can sit on instead of a regular chair to take the pressure off the legs. 

I make it a point to stretch after the run for about 5 minutes, before showering.  But I still find myself looking for reasons to walk around during the day to keep the muscles from totally seizing up. 

Anybody else have the same problem and any ideas about how to deal? 
2010-02-11 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2668845

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
STEVE A, have you thought about wearing some compression socks to work on the days that you run? I think there was some discussion about this over in the Tri Talk forum last week. (Hopefully, it wasn't with this group?). Some posters were wearing them to bed on their long run days, etc. and they seemed to think they helped.

DIANE, exciting news about the bike. I'm with ANNE, we need a pic of your first ride!

STEVE B, hope your wife's testing went well today.

Now, I guess I better go get my trainer and bike out of the middle of the living room before my husband and son get home!

Lisa
2010-02-11 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2667900

User image

Champion

DIANE -

COOL BEANS!

Lordy, though, I apologize for ending an "Alberta Cliiper" your way, bringing you the snow just as you get ready to ride. Well, that won't last for long; I currnetly scheming to get you something balmy from the Azores!

A large deserted parking lot is a good idea, for true. There is no need to get any more adventurous right away, although if you know a flattish stretch with ample shoulders, that would work too. The advantage to a parking lot is you can just get used to cruising and cornering, do leisurely figure eights, play with your shifting and just start feeling that the bike is an extension of your five points of contact!

I question what he says about mountain bike clips, partially because I don't know exactly how they differ, and partially because ones designed for road bikes are de rigeur. Mostly, though, he's a bit off base on the comment about getting traction in transition, as there is not a race anywhere that allows riding without the t-zone. They all have some distance at which you have to walk or run your bike to a mount line, and that is always outside of the transition zone. In very rare cases will the mount-line area being inpaved, so traction is not necessary. And upon finishing the bike, it's the same but in reverse -- you dismount at a designated dismount line, and then run or walk your bike to your rack.

Now, having said all that, I know nothing about off-raod triathlons or xterra races, and it could be thta their rules are a bit looser than for on-road races. Certainly off-road tris are more wild and wooly than on-road ones, so maybe their rules are bit looser -- the "outlaw" mentality, you know? But as you say, this is all a topic for further down the road.

Your shoulder situation continues to be most positive! Woo-hoo! You might want to get your hands on the current issue of "Triathlete", which has an article titled "Preventing Swimmer's Shoulder". There is some common-sense (but still valuable) text, along with descriptions of five preventative exercises. This is the March issue, No. 311, and Greg bennett is the cover boy. Borders and Barnes and Noble always carry "Triathlete", as most likely would whatever your newsstand-of-choice is. And if you can't find a copy, i can either summarize the article here, or photocopy the page and senfd it to you. Let me know what you end up doing, okay?

2010-02-11 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2668033

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Ha! Ya know, as I started typing that to you the lightbulb went on over my head and I wondered if what I had seen was a Th or Thu........and then I stopped thinking and went on typing and just figured I was confused. Kind of like getting messed up by a post-dated check! (Or not?)

Speaking of "not", it is NOT a bad habit to enter workouts before you do them. I don't do that, but I see the sense behind it as a way to set a goal and commit it to paper -- a terrific motivator, I would figure! So keep on doing that, as it obviously works for you. As for me, I'll just try to remember that you're likely to be a step or two or three ahead of me!

You're right about podiatrists being defensive, at leats based on my sample size of one. My pod is extemely defensive, and I won't even go into the ways that she manifests this. I wonder if it happens because of professional insecurity here in Canada, where they aren't afforded the same staus as they have in the states. I think there is something to do with trianing and certification and the fact thjat they aren't covered fully by OHIP, meaning that they aren't viewed as bonafide doictors? Or something like that?

I think that trying life without the rthotics is wise. As I said to Tracey recently, neuroma maintenance seems to be ongoing trial and error and tinkering and fiddling, and all in the hopes that at some point, on some level, something will work. On a gross scale, it can even come down to shoes. Karhu were disastrous for my neuroma, Asics and New balance were so-so, Saucony and Newtons perfect. I suppose it comes down to where exactly they put their various proprietary materials in the forefoot -- that, along with issues such as width and positioning of flex grooves and whatever else.

It lloks like Saucony might work for your neuroma too, keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood! So you've got yourself in the more upscale of thier two neutral shoes, based on the Road Runner catalog in front of me, which goes on to say "Get royal treatment with maximum cushioning and a wide-based stable platform." "Wide-based" sounds excellent, as for neuromae wide is far nbetter than narrow. I hope those babies continue to work for you!!

I'll get back to your log later; haven't checked since getting tricked this morning!

2010-02-11 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2668241

User image

Champion

MARK -

Hmmm. I think I saw the article you mentioned, but neglecetd to read it. I will root around in my bvarious stcks and piles to see if I can find that issue.

I am not a white tea drinker, but I have heard that claim before and probably should try to adopt the habit. Can't hurt, right?

Is there something kind of chronic that you take Aleve for every morning, or is it just preventative? Probably one-a-morning won't hurt you, especially if you have it on a full stomach -- and so long as you're not prone to bouts of stomach distress.

2010-02-11 9:55 PM
in reply to: #2669113

User image

Champion

POSSIBLE NEW MEMBERS?

We may have two new additions:
(1) manfarr1974, aka Mandy, is from Maine and is training for Timberman HIM along with other races. We crossed paths a while ago on the T-man race talk space here at BT, where she is enthusaistically active!
(2) Jane (user name unknown) is from S.C., training for her first marathon after completing her first half marathon in December, and is thinking about moving into triathlons at some point. She has the dubious distnction of being my sis-in-law.

Just so you know!

2010-02-11 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2669120

User image

Champion

Thanks for your various well-wishes for Lynn. She seemed to have survived the endoscopy okay, although it's hard to say because she has been zonked out ever since. Apparently she is the proud owner of a five-star gag-reflex, and everytime they tried to introduce the tube down her throat, she gagged it into submission. It took a few upages of meds to get her relaxed enough so the tube could do its appointed task.....but that has left her out of it for many hours now. (Hey! More computer time for me! )

2010-02-11 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2668803

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

"....sticking to the 200s and still afraid to try them fast."

Small bites. Nibbles. On the last leg of each 100, up the pace - tear down the pool. You get three after it to bring your HR back down, and then you're off for another hard 25. Do that a couple of times during a few different swim sessions, and then add a bit more speed - maybe at about 63 meters (halfway down the third length) kick in the speed and bring it for the final 37 meters of the 100.

Good line! : "I see him about every 3 weeks; that's how long it seesm to take my stroke to deteriorate."

Amen to THAT!!

2010-02-11 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2668345

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Oh my, the doctorate concept is ancient history! I had my chance in about '79, and let it go. WHOOSH! Lost forever!

For the record, I am awful at distinguishing run-of-the-mill aches from incipient injuries. I guess maybe because I've been actually injured so often over the years I've just come to expect the worst each time I feel some wonk or niggle. I don't think ,my parents raised me to go through my later years spooked by perceived injuries, but there you have it! . It is what it is?

And a big old gold star for you on account of your brilliant re-structuring of the 4 X 5-min at Z4 in favor of that sweetly-executed reverse pyramid. Maestro Aquavia!

Gonna keep us in the loop whilst at SG, or do we have to wait for your return to find out what it looks and feels like. I GUESS we can wait, but from the perspective of my needs for Immediate Vicarious Gratification, it won't be easy........

2010-02-12 4:42 AM
in reply to: #2669120

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hi there everyone, thanks for the intro Steve!

NAME: Mandy Farrar

STORY: This is the start of my second season of triathlon. I am 35 years old, I am a forester, and live in north western Maine.  I have always been active, mostly in the outdoors as opposed to attending organized events, and ran my first marathon in 2005 after a buddy convinced me I might like it.  I ran 3 more, and began to get burned out on running, quite training for about a year, out of shape, blah blah.  Triathlon was always in the back of my head, and finally getting over my fear that I would be the last out of the water, I did my first sprint in June of last year.  I was addicted. Through training this summer, I fell in love with open water swimming, continued to improve on my bike, and came around to really liking running again. I signed up for another sprint and ended my season with an Oly distance.  I immediately started looking for 2010 races.

I am a middle of mid-packer as far as race results. I hope when I grow up I can be a front of mid-packerback.  Or a back of front packer even would be cool.

2009 RACES: Pirate Tri (sprint), Maine State Tri (sprint), Lobsterman Tri (oly

CURRENT TRAINING
I am trying to swim 1x/week (closest pool is 75 min away, and the lake is frozen), biking on trainer 3-4x/week (Spinnerval torture fests with Coach Troy mostly), and running 3x/week (using the FIRST marathon program). I am trying to maintain my base so I can really build this spring and summer, but love to XC and telemark ski, so some training days will get replaced with that here and there.

2010 RACES:
2/7 Mid-Winter 10 Mile Classic (1:25:37 - 10 mile PR!)
5/8/10 Polar Bear Tri (sprint)
5/16/10 Sugarloaf Marathon (trying to get as close to 4 hours as I can.  Current PR 4:18)
6/13/10 Pirate Triathlon (sprint)
7/?/10 Mandy's Early July Made-Up, Self-Supported Century Ride.
8/22/10 Timberman HIM (WHOOP WHOOP! This is my key race)
9/20/10 Lobsterman Tri
10/18/10 MDI Marathon? (this one is a maybe)

WEIGHTLOSS: I think losing 10 lbs would help me get to the front of the mid-pack, but I really like pizza.  Mmmm.  I go through phases of really healthy eating and then kind of crappy eating. I drive a lot for work, and that is where I usually fail. 

Off for a drive to the pool now, looking forward to being part of the group!

Cheers,
Mandy

2010-02-12 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
MANDY, welcome!! A forester, that is a very cool job. I actually thought about going back to school for a degree in wildlife management or something along those lines for my second career. Just when I was looking into classes, etc found out I was pregnant with my 4th child at the age of 40 (and 10 years after my husband's vasectomy). My kids are currenly 11 ... 21, 22, and 29. Now my days are full of more kids's homework and baseball, but loving it (the baseball that is, not the homework!).

STEVE B and DIANE, I'm not sure, but was thinking about what the guy at the bike shop was saying about the shoes/pedals.  STEVE, like you said, not sure about the difference in the pedals, but I think when he was talking about the difference in the traction he was likely talking about the soles of the shoes ... where as the road shoes would be slicker on the bottom trying to run through transition rather than the mountain bike shoes which would have a rubber sole (and I might be wrong, but I think the cleats are seated deeper in the sole on the moutain bike shoes?).  Anyway ... that's the impression that I got from reading DIANE's post.

So happy it's Friday!  Starting next week, I'm going to have a bit of a challenge on some of my training days, as the baseball schedule just came out and my son has games two nights each week, either at 6pm or 8pm (and that doesn't count any practices).  May need to double up on a couple of days and get my swim and run or swim and bike in on the same days.  Looking forward to a 6 mile run in the morning with my running group ... been running solo and haven't run with them for about 4 weeks, so should be fun.
2010-02-12 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2668845

Master
Kitchener
SAquavia - 2010-02-11 7:33 PM So, I've realized that my job and my love of training are no longer compatible.  Not that I'm going to give up either of them, but I just realized this. 

In particular are running days.  Run for 1 - 1.5 hours and then go sit in the car getting to work.  Then sit at a desk all day.  By the end of the day, the feet are so...irritated.  I guess it's the way the chair catches the back of the leg and affects the circulation.  I'm seriously considering getting one of those giant workout bouncy balls you can sit on instead of a regular chair to take the pressure off the legs. 

I make it a point to stretch after the run for about 5 minutes, before showering.  But I still find myself looking for reasons to walk around during the day to keep the muscles from totally seizing up. 

Anybody else have the same problem and any ideas about how to deal? 

I never had that problem due to work because I always swam before work, but have experienced it.   Often Ken and I will travel some distance to find some good running trails and then have to sit in the car on the return trip.  Other times, we will try to get our run in before leaving for a long trip.   And we both noticed that it the prolong sitting after a run is not good.  Really used to bother my SI joints.   So now we make plenty of stops, get out of the car and stretch and walk around.   If you are anything like I as at work, I would get pretty focussed and before I knew it 4 hours had gone by, so maybe you could set the alarm on your watch to remind you to get up, walk around and do a good stretch.   If you have stairs you could use those to stretch the calves.

Ken works at home an often will use the big stability ball for his chair.   

It is tough to combine the training with work but you seem to be doing a fantastic job of it.  
2010-02-12 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

Mandy - Welcome

Lisa/Diane - Are you guys in the part of Texas that's getting a bunch of snow?

Diane - It probably will take you a little while to get used to the road bike but then you will love it. 

Denise

2010-02-12 8:15 AM

Master
Kitchener
MANDY,

Welcome to the group.   Forestry sounds like a great job to have.   I love the outdoors too.  

Anne
2010-02-12 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2669262

User image

Champion

MANDY -

You made it! Velkomen!

I didn't know the forester part of you. I did a couple of years at Unity College, back in the days ('71-'73) when it was geared mostly towards forestry, fisheries, and wildlife. I too the third option, then in Jan. '74 transferred out to University of Alberta. But Unity paved the way for me to do some great stuff in northern Canada, both for private environmental consulting firms and on contracts with Canadian Wildlife Service. I was really in the right place at the right time, able to ride the crest of all of the environmenal impact studies going in with respect to prosposed gas and oil pipelines from the arctic and subarctic. But tat work pretty much dried up by the late 70s, and I switched to teaching. But all of that ecological work (mostly birds, in my case) in the north was very wonderful stuff, and I owe it all to the training I got at Unity. It was a funky little school at the time, but it worked for me! Were you Orono-trained yourself?

Lobsterman too, eh? Great race! After several years of not being able to pull it off, I finally made it there in '08. We stayed in the campground, about 200 yards from transition, and awoke to sunrise over Casco Bay. Pretty darn sweet! Terrific race overall, but the bike is the real beauty of it. However, we had to split the scene early so were not able to be part of the lobster feed.

Advice: When your wave is ready to wallk down the ramp into the water, get at the front so you are in the cooooold water as long as possible. I know this may not make intuitive sense, but it is much better to have just that extra minuite or two for your wetsuit to build up that insulative layer of water between it and you so at least your core is warmish when you actually start swimming. A word to the wise!

Off to the dive to the pool? And just how far is that for you?

Edited by stevebradley 2010-02-12 8:37 AM
2010-02-12 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2669374

User image

Champion

LISA -

Ahhh......the Voice of Reason! Your explanation of what Diane's bike guy said makes sense, whereas I was busy conjuring up off-road outlaw scenarios.

Maybe we need a phone chain for people needing to transition to early morning workouts! It can all start with Steve, who seems to be up about 3am most mornings to fit in his various frolickings. He can phone you and then you can phone Anne, who also does a lot of early morning stuff. It's been several years since I worked out in the morning, so I will respectfully decline being part of the phone chain!

Is the group run tomorrow? Enjoy it! And as I've said before, enjoy the blessedly early baseball season. I would've felt like I'd died and gone to heaven if my own seasons could've started in the depths of Massachusetts winters, but at this stage of things we were still at least two months away from any remote chance of meaningful outdoors practicing.

What's that about not loving the homework? I'm not hearing that!!!!!

2010-02-12 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2669538

User image

Champion

GANG!!

I may be a bit hit-and-miss this weekend. Daughter Jane and her boyfriend are flying up in a few hours and will be here until Monday afternoon. So, I will check in daily, and probably a few times daily, but I will likely not post a whole bunch. Or, if my posts are that but are kind of short, please don't take it personally. It's just me spreading myself a bit thinner than usual!

Any truly exciting pland this weekend? Steve is off on his reconnaissance trip to the course for Ironman St. George, and Tracey has her 5-miler ---- anything else that needs noting?

By the way, I will not be hyping races quite as rambunctiously as I did with my other group last year. HOWEVER, if you want some unabashed boostering just let me know a week or so out and I will promote the event and work hard to drum up a crescendo of support. But I won't do that unless requested, and just leave it to you to fill in all the details post-race. Sound okay?

2010-02-12 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2669489

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey a Unity guy! Awesome, a really great school.  Ha, Unity is a funky town, but interesting, that is for sure!  I almost went there, but got an assistance ship at UMO.  Funny how my loyalties sway with who wants to pay!   

Yeah, I love the Lobsterman!  GREAT ADVICE!  I did that last year - holy cold water!! And I swim open water after ice out.  The bouy temp was 51, but that was out further in the ocean, the bay this is in had to be colder (according to everyone I talked to).  My hands were claws at the end of the swim, it took me a while to get my shoes on for the bike portion.  I am very happy I got in the water before the race - my first ocean swim (I learned: salt water is yucky, you float good, I don't like seaweed in my face, and can't stop the Jaws theme playing in my head).  The bike was awesome, kicked my butt.  I was like 3:02 something... I wanted under 3h so bad! That is why I have to go back.  I am allergic to lobster so I skipped the lobster roast, but had some free beer.

Pool drive was good - 75 minutes in the early AM.  I have a buddy I meet there or else I am not sure I would get there much.  Swim was good too - 1300 meters, lots of drills.  I figure I might as well focus on my technique since I only get there about once every 2 weeks. 

Big weekend plans - working a 12 miler in on Sunday around visiting family.  Oh, and a 1.5 hr trainer torturefest with Coach Troy (Spinnervals).  Maybe a 5 mile tempo run today if I can get work caught up before daylight goes away.  The good news is they sleep in.  Bad news is, my bike is in the guest room.

Cheers!

Mandy

2010-02-12 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2669560

User image

Champion

PERIODIC REMINDER --

Always keep in mind that training is not linear. That is, you can expect peaks and valleys, and many lengthy plateaus; don't get discouraged by these! They happen to all of us, and are to be fully expected. Just keep working away at it all, and in time there will be another bump in performance level....and then another....and then another.

Bump, bump!

2010-02-12 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2669731

User image

Champion
MANDY -

Yeah --- Coach Troy and his Spinervals. Argh!

Once the Difficulty Rating gets above about 7.5, I find it quite difficult (read: impossible) to make it through one of his entire sessions according to his protocols. And I'm a pretty decent cyclist! They are just murderous, and whenever I even attempt to keep up with one of the havy hitters on his set, I get "dropped" real fast. I've had to tell lots of people to not get defeated by the Spinervals, to just do what they can until they simply cannot keep up. That;s the time to stop the video and pick it up form there another day.

I bought one last year that I haven't even opened from its wrapping. Slacker, or what? It's 26.0, "The Hardcore 100", a 3-disc set that makes up 1 5+ hour endurance ride. Um, maybe next week?

A good killer one is 25.0, "Aero Base Builder V - The Compilation", which is the "best" of Aero Base Builders I through IV. It has a Difficuty Rating of 7.5, but for parts of it that seems a bit under-scored. I have read somewhere that when he peers at people's computers and says "Great! You're at a cadence of 128!", the guy isn't there at all; Troy just says that to make us at home work harder. I don't believe that, though, as some of his performers have incredible creds and can probably easily sustain that cadence.

My indoor bike work is going okay, but I'm not pushing myself. Not a single CompuTrainer session yet, and just a couple on the rollers. Lots of long miles, however, watching a plethora of movies. Basically trashy training, but better than nothing. I think?

Finally, there has been lots of talk here about drills and swimming, so whatever you have to offer will be greatly appreciated. I should try to ferret back through the pages and find the ones that have heavily featured drill-talk, just so you'll know what's being said.

And don't let guests get in the way of a good workout! (Says he, who figures he won't do much himself while his daughter and her boyfriend are here for three days. )

2010-02-12 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2669083

User image

stevebradley - 2010-02-11 7:21 PM DIANE - COOL BEANS! Lordy, though, I apologize for ending an "Alberta Cliiper" your way, bringing you the snow just as you get ready to ride. Well, that won't last for long; I currnetly scheming to get you something balmy from the Azores! A large deserted parking lot is a good idea, for true. There is no need to get any more adventurous right away, although if you know a flattish stretch with ample shoulders, that would work too. The advantage to a parking lot is you can just get used to cruising and cornering, do leisurely figure eights, play with your shifting and just start feeling that the bike is an extension of your five points of contact! I question what he says about mountain bike clips, partially because I don't know exactly how they differ, and partially because ones designed for road bikes are de rigeur. Mostly, though, he's a bit off base on the comment about getting traction in transition, as there is not a race anywhere that allows riding without the t-zone. They all have some distance at which you have to walk or run your bike to a mount line, and that is always outside of the transition zone. In very rare cases will the mount-line area being inpaved, so traction is not necessary. And upon finishing the bike, it's the same but in reverse -- you dismount at a designated dismount line, and then run or walk your bike to your rack. Now, having said all that, I know nothing about off-raod triathlons or xterra races, and it could be thta their rules are a bit looser than for on-road races. Certainly off-road tris are more wild and wooly than on-road ones, so maybe their rules are bit looser -- the "outlaw" mentality, you know? But as you say, this is all a topic for further down the road. Your shoulder situation continues to be most positive! Woo-hoo! You might want to get your hands on the current issue of "Triathlete", which has an article titled "Preventing Swimmer's Shoulder". There is some common-sense (but still valuable) text, along with descriptions of five preventative exercises. This is the March issue, No. 311, and Greg bennett is the cover boy. Borders and Barnes and Noble always carry "Triathlete", as most likely would whatever your newsstand-of-choice is. And if you can't find a copy, i can either summarize the article here, or photocopy the page and senfd it to you. Let me know what you end up doing, okay?

Hey Steve and Diane,
Two cents - I think the guy might be saying that many mountain bike shoes are designed so you can walk/run easily in them (the clips are recessed so people can climb over rocks and such).  So, in transition, you can put on your bike shoes and jog with your bike to the mounting area.  For those who are not good at having their shoes pre-clipped on the bike and running in their socks to the mounting line, it might make sense.  I've always had to "waddle" with my bike shoes on, which is awkward because you are running on the cleat.  If they were mountain bike shoes, that might be more comfortable.

That said, my assumption is mountain bikes shoes are heavier and once on the bike, may be less well suited to racing. 

Just thinking out loud.
2010-02-12 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2669144

User image

stevebradley - 2010-02-11 8:15 PM STEVE - Oh my, the doctorate concept is ancient history! I had my chance in about '79, and let it go. WHOOSH! Lost forever! For the record, I am awful at distinguishing run-of-the-mill aches from incipient injuries. I guess maybe because I've been actually injured so often over the years I've just come to expect the worst each time I feel some wonk or niggle. I don't think ,my parents raised me to go through my later years spooked by perceived injuries, but there you have it! . It is what it is? And a big old gold star for you on account of your brilliant re-structuring of the 4 X 5-min at Z4 in favor of that sweetly-executed reverse pyramid. Maestro Aquavia! Gonna keep us in the loop whilst at SG, or do we have to wait for your return to find out what it looks and feels like. I GUESS we can wait, but from the perspective of my needs for Immediate Vicarious Gratification, it won't be easy........

Heh.  I've got one of those blackberry thingies, so I'll see today if I can post to the blog with it.  I suspect I'll be sitting in quite a bit of traffic, so that'll give me something to do.  If it works, I'll plan on updating from the top of the hill.  Hopefully it will be something like, "hill?  what hill?"

As for the injuries, I hear you.  I was listening to the radio and the whole Lindsay Vonn story about the bruised shin, and how she refused to get it x-rayed to see if it was a hairline fracture or worse.  I think she's pretty much of the idea that if it's a little broken, and she can get through it, then knowing is actually worse.  So, barring any real acute pain, I assume it's just soreness and treat it accordingly.  Probably not the smartest thing to do, but my worst fear is going to see a doc about "sore knees" and being told there is actually something wrong.  I figure, for now through August, ignorance is bliss!  LOL.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276