BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's Aye! Aye! Tri Crew - FULL - this ship has left the dock! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2012-01-31 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3948889

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bill's Aye! Aye! Tri Crew - FULL - this ship has left the dock!

Swim, swim, swim!  Y'all are going great.  The sooner you start swim training the longer you'll have to get strong and comfortable in the water.  A strong comfortable swim puts you on the bike with energy to spare.

Congratulations on the new bike Jan!  Ride it every day you can!  Saddle time, saddle time, saddle time, is what you need to get strong and comfortable on the bike.  Caution, the first 4 to 8 rides don't go too long, maybe 1 hour max, and use some Vaseline or Chamois Butter or Body Glide.  It's all about getting your bottom accustomed to your new perch.  If your bottom is sore, don't ride for a day or two.  If your legs muscles are sore, ride again the next day, but a little slower and/or shorter distance.  If we keep having this mild winter here in Georgia you can get in a lot of ride time.

I ran my 10k this past weekend.  Cool weather (better than hot weather).  Hilly course.  After all my HFLIZ2R's I felt good and ran hard.  My time was the fastest I've done this century, so the HFLIZ2R's are working.  More importantly I got a good check on my functional threshold aerobic heart rate, so I'm confident of my target heart rate during a sprint triathlon.  Ouch! my legs were SOOO sore Sunday and Monday, but the good kind of sore.  Feeling better today.  I'll need to do some speed work in the spring, so I won't be so sore from a race.  

I have another 10k I want to run Feb 25 along with a friend of mine.  We have a friendly rivalry, so I'm looking forward to running hard and seeing who will be whining about the pain more, him or me.  Until then, I'm back to HFLIZ2R's.

2012-01-31 3:19 PM

Alameda

So haven't piped up since last week,  i was doing some stuff around the house moving boxes to the antic and did something to my back.  I took some Motrin and rested did a easy swim and was excited to be going on my weekend ride.

Got up Saturday feeling stiff but after some stretching i was feeling better. We got to the lake I jumped on my bike and that was it I couldn't even ride so i stretched again and thought i could push through. Got 5 miles into the ride and stopped the pain was bad. Long story short after seeing 3 doctors yesterday, some electro therapy I am moving.

I have a MRI tomorrow so they can look, hoping for a pinched nerve. On the upside I found out that my bike ride is a killer its starts with a 1/2 mile incline from the lake to the bottom of the hill from h3ll 1/4 mile 600 foot climb! then short down then back up another 400 feet over the next mile. then it rolls until the turn around.

The Dr said that i can swim with a buoy if i feel like it but no running or riding until we know whats causing the pain.

not discouraged, training was going too well need to understand I am no longer able to push through the pain like I could when I was young(er). need to listen to my body...

2012-01-31 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4021446

User image

Veteran

Wow, sorry to hear of the back pain Pierre.  Sounds like you're doing the right think to get it checked out.  Yes, getting older (me too) = longer recovery times.  Good for you doing recon of the bike course.  Does your bike have sufficiently low gears?  Ease back into the pool and gradually increase your work there.

2012-02-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4021241

AtlantaBill - 2012-01-31 3:10 PM

I ran my 10k this past weekend.  Cool weather (better than hot weather).  Hilly course.  After all my HFLIZ2R's I felt good and ran hard.  My time was the fastest I've done this century, so the HFLIZ2R's are working.  More importantly I got a good check on my functional threshold aerobic heart rate, so I'm confident of my target heart rate during a sprint triathlon.  Ouch! my legs were SOOO sore Sunday and Monday, but the good kind of sore.  Feeling better today.  I'll need to do some speed work in the spring, so I won't be so sore from a race.  

Good for you, Bill!  Congratulations on your historically good time!

2012-02-02 3:50 AM
in reply to: #4021446

New user

Estonia

It's really great to read how everybody is training. Sorry for those got injured or are sick.

Got the premission to start training again, eyes are still a little sensitive but dont want to fall behind from others. So I tried to run and ski a little today, but it is -22F here and no sign of going warmer any time soon. I limited it for 50 min total (15 min run and 35 on skis) not to do any damage. Going to the pool in evening to get back into the water as soon as possible.

Oh, and surprisengly you can dress warm enough for running, even when it is -22 F outside. Just time  and speed has to be reduced andlayers have to be right ones (windstopper is a must).

So back on the saddle and straight forward...

2012-02-02 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4024681

viljars - 2012-02-02 4:50 AM

Oh, and surprisengly you can dress warm enough for running, even when it is -22 F outside. Just time  and speed has to be reduced andlayers have to be right ones (windstopper is a must).

Seriously???  BBRRRRrrrrrrr!  I think my blood would freeze!

2012-02-05 3:45 AM

New user

Estonia
I know it is not normal, but some change from pool feels good. And i do only 15-20 min of jogging or run bike 10 mph for 20 min. It just makes you feel great for geting out there and move a little. 
2012-02-06 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran

Wow Viljar you get my nomination as our Polar Bear!

"Steady as she goes!"  The magic is to keep going and to do SOME workout, even when you're tired, or sick, or just not feeling motivated.  Everyone has ups and downs.  I now have a cold, or a very early case of my annual spring allergies.  We've had a very mild winter and some trees are starting to bloom pre-maturely.  So I've recorded a couple of ZERO's in my workout log over the last few days.  I had sore legs after running on Wednesday, and I rode Thursday and Saturday with tired legs, so it's probably good to get some rest and recovery.  Tomorrow I WILL get back out there.

Everyone has ups and downs, but winning in triathlon is when you keep going.  Most of us will probably never "win", 1st overall, a triathlon, but that doesn't matter.  Triathlon is won personally, everyday, when you head out the door for a swim, or bike ride, or run.

Keep charging!

2012-02-09 9:43 PM

User image

Regular
San Jose, CA

Hi All,' I'm back in action after a 2 week hiatus for medical reasons...basically I noticed a large bulging artery in the front of my neck that shouldn't be there....I had a carotid ultrasound which showed a possible aneurysm so I was sent for a CT scan with contrast a week later. Thankfully no aneurysm but I do have another weird arterial anomaly causing the vessel to be in an odd location. I'm cleared to exercise again and so far have done the following this week:

Sunday: 30 min. elliptical

Monday: rest (12 hour shift at work)

Tuesday: 35 min. boot camp workout, high intensity footwork with HR 150s-170s.

Wednesday: easy spin on stationary bike, kept HR in low 130s for 30 min.

Thursday: 35 min. boot camp workout, all running today with intervals (fartliches), very tough, L knee acting up and I think I hyperextended it a bit on Tuesday, today it's a bit weak and is popping whenever I pivot or change direction (in the back, not the patella). I tore my PCL 23 years ago so I'm hoping I didn't aggravate that or any scar tissue.

Friday: rest day planned (work 12 hours)

Saturday: 20 min. jog planned if knee feels ok planned.

2012-02-11 6:32 AM

New user

Estonia

Too bad for your knee. But it seems not to be stoping you.

Getting my swimming better each week, strange to think that just 6 weeks ago i felt hopless after doing one end, now i spend 30 min in pool enjoying the workout. So my hopes are up high, seems to be going on right track.

Having a 20K cross country ski competition tomorrow, hopefully it will be over 5F so could enjoy it. Next sunday will  be a 63K marathon on skis, so pool will be consentrated on technique rather then max output. 

Still too cold for bike, face will freeze when doing over 10 mph, even with skimask on. So just short runs and slow rides.

2012-02-14 11:25 AM

Alameda

WOW you all are doing great!

I was able to get back in the pool last night did easy 6 x 100 resting between sets and used a buoy to reduce as much pressure on my back as possible. It felt great to be able to do anything.

After what seems like a month of physical  therapy my back is feeling better just, sore but now without drugs. I have been released to start swimming but that's it for a week, depending on how things progress i may be able to ride short times next week (less than 20 min). no running for another month. but as that is my strength I am OK with that. 

My first event is 2 months out and is a Sprint S800m B12miles R5K so I am working towards a completion vs a time but still planning on making it!

Pierre

Edited by social_pierre 2012-02-14 11:27 AM

2012-02-15 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran

Ahoy Crew! "Do as I say, not as I do!", this week anyway.  I'm on business in Miami.  I had great hopes of running and swimming everyday, but have managed only one of each over the last 3 days.  Plus too much fancy restaurant food and booze.  Arrgh!  I'm going to have to call this a "recovery" week!  

Not to worry, I'm heading home today and have an appointment for tomorrow morning early with my cycling buddies for a pre-dawn hour ride.  So I'll be back in the saddle.

I'm glad to hear of your continued consistent workouts and making progress.  You're inspiring.  

As Delta airlines new tagline says "Keeping climbing!".

2012-02-15 3:40 PM

Hey guys - been a while since I had a chance to log in. A lot going on outside of training which has upset my routine for the last ten days. Got back in the pool last night and had a 12k run tonight which felt good. Had my tunes going and "eye of the tiger" kicked in twice on the playlist (dunno how!) at just the right times to make me go the extra few kms when I felt like stopping.

Feels good to be back training! Hope you are all doing wekk and staying injury free!

2012-02-18 8:26 PM

New user

Hi all glad to hear everyone is doing well. Took some time off to beat this bronchitis thing finally healed up! Biked yesterday and ran today.  Checked out some bikes last weekend. Wondering if anyone has opinions on Scott brand? Eying the Scott Speedster S30 first bike so trying to find something affordable but not el cheapo. Hope everyone is feeling healthy! -Sweenes
2012-02-20 1:32 PM

New user

Estonia

I bought myself Scott sportster s40 in autumn, as i love to go offroad also for fun . I go for a lap and always think: "...hmm, interesting where does that little road lead to?", so it is hard to stick on plan. Have done 2000k so far and enjoy it. Only downside is the saddle, but that might be just me being too skinny.

Did 63k cross country marathon yesterday. Hilly course and snowstorm wasn't exactly fun but it made finishing much bigger emotion. Owerall was a great day with 6000+ ski fans.

To avoid being sore tomorrow did slow 500 meters in pool. Feels like haven't done any big marathon, just hungry all the time.

2012-02-21 3:46 PM

Hey guys - the weather is starting to improve here in Ireland - along with the economy apparently! :-)

Got out for a nice run on a lovely Sunday afternoon and just kept going to do 20k in 1:50 - my longest run so far and it felt great to be able to keep going for the distance. 6 weeks ago this would not have been possible for me so I'm delighted with the progress.

Had a rest day yesterday, and back in the pool tonight. Did aound 1000 metres with breaks after 3-4 laps. Really need to focus on the swimming and building the stamina. Towards the end of my swim tonight I felt tired, and my stroke slowed right down, and you know what, it was easier to keep going. I think my stamina will improve if I can learn to pace myself in the pool. Similar to running at the start where I found it hard not to rush in the beginning.

Biking - got a bike a few weeks back had one cycle. A leisurely 20k, to get used to the bike and equipment, gears etc. It was nice even though it started raining about 5 minutes into the ride, and didnt stop. When I went to get the bike out of tHe shed I've got a puncture! Luck of the Irish! Plan to get out for a 30-35k cycle the weekend once I figure out how to change the tube!

Hope everyone is healthy and able to do the training they want. I missed a couple of weeks due to being dragged in about 10 different directions with a lot going on, but glad to say the turbulence has passed and am now able to give this tri pursuit the time I want. Its definitely time well spent!

2012-02-23 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4056825

New user

Thanks for the info on the Scott bike Viljars. Ruby good luck with the tire fix, I feel the same way on my swims these days.  The total immersion videos on youtube were fairly helpful, been working on cutting back on my strokes. Hope everyone had a good week!
2012-02-25 6:57 AM

I'm still here... life has gotten in the way of training, but I'm scheduled back to training this week.
2012-02-27 12:52 AM

User image

Veteran

Good for you Tony, keep at it.

Good job swimming Sweenes.  Have y'all gotten any warm weather yet?

Hi Jan, No worries, life happens.  Our challenge is to find a way to squeeze in our workouts.

I ran the Charles Harris 10k this weekend.  A new PR!  Well, my PR this century, so that counts as a PR, right?  I was above my established anaerobic threshold heart rate, almost the whole way, so I have no excuses.  It was hard work.  I'm pleased with the time.  I recall a few moments of waning mental focus during the race, so I'm not 100% satisfied, but overall, I'm pleased.

My wife is not interested in endurance sports so I'm wasting my time when I try to explain things like: I was right on the edge between quitting due to leg pain, and vomiting due to oxygen deprivation, and trying to stay focused on my pace and how far I had to go, and yet trying to day-dream about walking on a tropical beach to distract myself from the pain while running just above a pace which I cannot sustain for more than 20 minutes, and doing this over and over for 43 minutes.

My lesson re-learned is, I haven't raced enough in the last 12 months and I've forgotten all those inner demons and mental battles I have to sort out and how to deal with them when running at anaerobic threshold.  You have to push yourself once in a while to see what monsters will emerge from your psyche and to practice subduing them.  I recommend everyone have at least one 5k or 10k running race on your schedule sometime this spring, before your target triathlon.  They're short enough that you can run at high intensity and you will meet your doubts and fears.  But they're not so long that you will be sore for more than a day or two, so you won't loose many training days.

What do you do to maintain your mental focus when you are swimming or biking or running at full speed?  When your body is telling you it hurts, but you know it's just the "red line" on the tachometer, not hurting like something is broken, so you want to keep going at full speed.

Some little things I do include: visualizing a walk on a tropical beach, looking far ahead to a tree or runner or signpost and focusing on it, inventory: my breathing, my stride length, my armswing, etc.   Sometimes I'll run alongside someone at similar pace and adjust my stride to match theirs and run in sync with them for a few minutes - just as a distraction.

What do you do?

2012-03-08 7:29 AM

New user

Estonia

Hi all!

Our group seems to be really quiet, everybody are out training i assume.

Back from Austria, some alpine skiing for a week. Now back to the pool and more intense running.

2012-03-14 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4086175

User image

Veteran

Hi folks,

I've been up and down due to early spring allergy season here.  The good news is my legs aren't sore.  The bad news is my legs aren't sore - I need to get back out there.  

I hope y'all are doing well.  How are your workouts going?  Anyone hit any milestones? 

2012-03-15 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4067791

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
AtlantaBill - 2012-02-27 1:52 AM

What do you do to maintain your mental focus when you are swimming or biking or running at full speed?  When your body is telling you it hurts, but you know it's just the "red line" on the tachometer, not hurting like something is broken, so you want to keep going at full speed.

Some little things I do include: visualizing a walk on a tropical beach, looking far ahead to a tree or runner or signpost and focusing on it, inventory: my breathing, my stride length, my armswing, etc.   Sometimes I'll run alongside someone at similar pace and adjust my stride to match theirs and run in sync with them for a few minutes - just as a distraction.

Great question. I'm definitely no expert.  Running seems to be the hardest for me from a mental toughness perspective at "red line".  The best I can do is tell myself I can slow down, but I can't walk.  I invariably don't slow down, but it seems to calm my nerves down and help me re-focus.  Also, spotting trees or other landmarks in the distance and telling myself that I can 'slow down' when I hit that tree/ stop sign/ etc, but I never do.  I suppose I'm just playing mental games with myself, but it seems to work.

2012-03-19 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4097376

Ok, I'm "back in the saddle" or in my case - really getting onto the bike saddle for the first time consistently.  It's taken me longer than I expected to 1) get back to training 2) adjust to riding a bike again after xx years of not owning one.  I find that riding as a mid-lifer is very different than riding as a kid/young adult!

I really like it - and already it's my favorite of the three activities.  I have three days in a row now of going for a ride first thing in the morning - and I'm not a first thing in the morning anything kind of gal.

Hopefully the rest of the crew is doing well... I hope to hear from you!!!!

2012-03-20 1:56 AM

New user

Estonia

Hey all!

I still have some problems puting 2 trainings on one day as spring just is not coming here. Running and swimming is regular but bike is not so much fun with storm and cold rain.

I did my longest continious swim yesterday- 600 meters. Adding 50-100 meters every week. Really starting to enjoy this, got this far from 25 meters in 3 months.

Have done couple of brick trainings and it feels really strange to start running after 20 miles of cycling.

Infected one friend also to do couple of sprints this summer, so someone to share the emotions.

Keep on sailing

Viljar

2012-03-21 9:09 AM

Hi all - I found a meetup group of triathletes in my part of town.  They are having a 22 mile group ride this Sunday - Do you think it would be just crazy for me to jump in and ride that far?  In "spin class" at the gym we cover that distance on the machines, but on my actual bike, I've not gone farther than 6 miles  yet.

It's a ride from Stone Mountain to Decatur (which I know means nothing to most of you), and I think it would be a fun route.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's Aye! Aye! Tri Crew - FULL - this ship has left the dock! Rss Feed  

of 7