Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2011-01-24 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3316548

New user
UK
Subject: RE: njc65 Mentor Group CLOSED
nickgn71 - 2011-01-23 9:08 PM Neil,

I didn't really take it easy today, but I love biking (even on a stationary bike).  Tomorrow, I will definitely be a lot slower than today.  Running is not a strength of mine and I haven't gone swimming in more than a week.  I was thinking about just starting all over again on the couch to sprint training, but I really don't need to with the biking portion of it...

Gary,

Thanks   I think exercising is part of what I need to do to take care of myself.  It seems to help my stress level a lot.
Hi Nicole I sensed you would be training hard again, just had a feeling. Its ok so long as you feel ok, you know how your body feels if your strong crack on, if you are tired back off. Dont think you need to start from scratch again, there's some fitness in you, just pick up where you left off, you will be fine. Neil

2011-01-24 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3316655

New user
UK
timbell88 - 2011-01-23 10:23 PM Hey Nicole, good to see you back! I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, you guys are in my thoughts.

My goal seems silly, but I don't take stretching seriously enough. So my goal will be two stretching sessions a day, in the morning and at night. Even as I'm typing this I'm thinking ugh...

I better go get started, have a great day everyone!
Stretching and sleep the two most neglected elements of training, its a good one Tim, you'll feel great for it.
2011-01-24 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3316538

New user
UK
Rayqsmith - 2011-01-23 9:02 PM Neil,

I think this is a great idea.  I'll think about short term goals over the next few days. One will be something to do with the bike.
Good luck on your swim goal.
Ray
Thanks ray I look forward to hearing the goal soon!
2011-01-24 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3316458

New user
UK
Subject: RE: Gone and done it!!!
ldparsons - 2011-01-23 7:50 PM Oh help, I have gone and entered my first sprint triathlon, guess now I've spent some money there is no going back.I decided I had to commit as I had an awful workout on friday, did everything I planned to do, ticked all the boxes, but felt that my heart wasn't in it, just going through the motions. So I decided it was time to commit, and spend some money. Surprise! Had an amazing workout ( for me!!) tonight. Felt like i really pushed myself, just shows how much is in your mind. I now have a defined number of swims/runs/bikes until I have to get my body round the course, that really does hit home.Good luck to you all, hope you all have a great week. Lorna
Hey well done Lorna, when are where is the sprint triathlon? There is no bigger motivator than entering a race. I did that many years ago when I first started running and entered the Lincoln 10k, was really nervous and excited, ran it loved it and never looked back! I entered my favourite race this weekend which is the Beverley 10k in May. N x
2011-01-24 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3316536

New user
UK
nickgn71 - 2011-01-23 9:00 PM Lorna -

I did the same thing on January 5th.  I knew that if I didn't actually sign up for an event, I wouldn't dedicate myself to my workouts.  Not looking like a fool when the race comes around is a HUGE motivator for me!

Best,
Nicole
Hi Nicole as I said to Lorna there is no bigger motivator, remind me when are where you are racing.
2011-01-25 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3318719

New user

York
Subject: Coping with a holiday lay off.
It is the castle howard sprint at the end of July. I do have one major hurdle that I need advice about. At the beginning of June I am taking my kids to Morocco for two weeks. We will be doing some gentle trekking in the atlas mountains for 4 days, but the rest of time will be full on hols. As we are staying in locals houses as we travel round morocco I will not have access to swimming pools gyms etc. Running will also be difficult as it is very hot, but would not be seen as respectful for me go running in normal running gear.How can I keep t he fitness I have worked so hard to build up, any ideas. HELP. Lorna

2011-01-25 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3318719

New user

York
Subject: Coping with a holiday lay off.
It is the castle howard sprint at the end of July. I do have one major hurdle that I need advice about. At the beginning of June I am taking my kids to Morocco for two weeks. We will be doing some gentle trekking in the atlas mountains for 4 days, but the rest of time will be full on hols. As we are staying in locals houses as we travel round morocco I will not have access to swimming pools gyms etc. Running will also be difficult as it is very hot, but would not be seen as respectful for me go running in normal running gear.How can I keep t he fitness I have worked so hard to build up, any ideas. HELP. Lorna
2011-01-25 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3318726

User image

Gaithersburg

My race is July 31st - Olympic Length, and out in the middle of nowhere in Culpepper, VA.  I got my best friend to agree to do it with me.  She doesn't live close enough for us to train to together (about an hour apart), but it helps to know I'll have someone I know in the race with me!

2011-01-25 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3318695

User image

Gaithersburg
Neil,

For some reason I have a sense of urgency about training!  I feel like I should be ready to do the triathlon tomorrow and am frustrated with myself that I can't run faster or swim longer!  Logically I know that this doesn't make any sense because I just started training.  I haven't run since high school (which was about 15 years ago) and just learned swimming strokes last year.

I need to be more patient with myself... maybe I'll make that my new mantra!

2011-01-25 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3257876

User image

Gaithersburg
Subject: Sprint before Olympic?

Neil,

Do you think its worthwhile to compete in a sprint this season before I compete in the Olympic event in July?  Would it be counterproductive for my training efforts?  I was considering doing a sprint even in mid-May, which is about two months after my current couch to sprint training routine will end.  I was planning on picking up one of the sprint to Olympic trainings after that.

My Olympic Triathlon is on July 30th (think I may have written 31st in an earlier post).  I want to make sure that whatever I do, it won't interrupt my ability to not look like a fool in this event.

Thanks,
Nicole

2011-01-25 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3320112

New user
UK
Subject: RE: Sprint before Olympic?
nickgn71 - 2011-01-25 3:07 PM

Neil,

Do you think its worthwhile to compete in a sprint this season before I compete in the Olympic event in July?  Would it be counterproductive for my training efforts?  I was considering doing a sprint even in mid-May, which is about two months after my current couch to sprint training routine will end.  I was planning on picking up one of the sprint to Olympic trainings after that.

My Olympic Triathlon is on July 30th (think I may have written 31st in an earlier post).  I want to make sure that whatever I do, it won't interrupt my ability to not look like a fool in this event.

Thanks,
Nicole

In a word, definately! It will give you experience of racing, the excitement, nervousness and thrill of it. It will allow you to get used to transition too which I will speak about more lately. These are all unknowns that you cannot experience until race day so to have them in your locker before your 'A' race is a bonus. It will give you such a boost that you will be chomping at the bit for the olympic!

2011-01-25 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3319960

New user
UK
nickgn71 - 2011-01-25 2:13 PMNeil,

For some reason I have a sense of urgency about training!  I feel like I should be ready to do the triathlon tomorrow and am frustrated with myself that I can't run faster or swim longer!  Logically I know that this doesn't make any sense because I just started training.  I haven't run since high school (which was about 15 years ago) and just learned swimming strokes last year.

I need to be more patient with myself... maybe I'll make that my new mantra!

Easy Tiger! Firstly its is great to hear that you have urgency thats a positive it will help you BUT control it! You are doing exactly the right things so far, build it slowly bit by bit. The elites will be doing just the same. All the Brits are talking about how they are building towards the 2012 London Games, your 2010 London Games is your Olympic this year. There is no point being ready now, you'll lose fitness before your event. I am nowhere near where I need to be for the UK 70.3 in June but I know what I need to do to get there and I will. So keep your enthusiasm, keep doing what you are doing and be patient with yourself. N x
2011-01-25 1:18 PM

hello everyone,
long time no check in, busy with work but have continued to check in and train.  so far, my training has been on track. i wish there were more days in the week, but i am doing something 6x a week. it has become something i look forward to at the end of my day.  i agree with nicole, that despite my training schedule, i get anxious that i am not doing enough - even though my sprint tri is not till july.  i just try to focus on each day and hope that with time and continued training, my body will get faster and more efficient.
as for some goals, i try to set a new goal for each week - that usually is the same - just keep doing what i am doing.  in terms of nutrition, neil thanks for all of that information, so helpful.  i have been eating a balanced diet and as of today have lost 30lbs, which i am happy with. 

nicole, i am sorry for your loss and i hope that you are doing ok. a bit about me, my mom passed away about 9 months ago. she was battling brain cancer for about 1 1/2 years and then passed. it was and has been the most difficult time of my life.  with help from incredible friends, family and a therapist that i love, i am in a place where i realize the importance of living my life. in that vein, around thanksgiving i started to get super focused on the gym and then around xmas time, my friend suggested to sign up for the sprint tri in july and i have been a bit obsessed since.  having a positive goal in mind fuels my training and knowing that my mom would be so happy with my healthy lifestyle gives me peace.
i hope everyone is having a good week with training - keep up the amazing work!
2011-01-26 6:15 AM
in reply to: #3319856

New user
UK
Subject: RE: Coping with a holiday lay off.
ldparsons - 2011-01-25 1:20 PMIt is the castle howard sprint at the end of July. I do have one major hurdle that I need advice about. At the beginning of June I am taking my kids to Morocco for two weeks. We will be doing some gentle trekking in the atlas mountains for 4 days, but the rest of time will be full on hols. As we are staying in locals houses as we travel round morocco I will not have access to swimming pools gyms etc. Running will also be difficult as it is very hot, but would not be seen as respectful for me go running in normal running gear.How can I keep t he fitness I have worked so hard to build up, any ideas. HELP. Lorna
Yes sorry Lorna I should have remembered Castle Howard! I wouldn’t worry too much about the holiday (sounds silly saying worry and holiday in the same sentence)! The gentle trekking in the mountains will increase your fitness further and in the time afterwards you will not lose much if any fitness at all. There is no hard and fast rule regarding fitness loss, there’s tons of opinions on the web, as it depends on the level of fitness you have, your own body and systems etc etc. A general rule of thumb is that it takes between one to two weeks for fitness to START to be lost, I stress the word START here. With your trekking for 4 days, you will be fine, and I’m sure you will be doing a some ‘normal’ walking and if you can sneak a run in then so much the better. I came back from Lanzarote last August after 2 weeks holiday. During that time I ran over 70 miles, did a fair bit of sea swimming as well as recreational walking with the family. 48 hours after returning home I did a sprint triathlon and had the worse race ever I was so tired! So enjoy your holiday come back refreshed and you’ll be flying at the Castle!
2011-01-26 7:33 AM

New user

Hiroshima
Happy Thursday guys!Do we have any swimming gurus in the group? I'm trying to develop a kicking pattern for my training, but I literally have no idea where to even start. I found some YouTube videos and a few articles, anyone have other suggestions? Anything is welcome.
2011-01-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3322044

New user
Tim,
When you say you trying to develop a kicking pattern for your training what exactly are you trying to do.  Is this a question of kicks per stroke, kicking drills to improve strength and stamina, not being able to find a rhythm or something else instead?  If you elaborate it would be helpful.
Ray

2011-01-26 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3322463

New user

Hiroshima
Hey Ray,

I guess the answer would be all of the above. I have heard about the two kick rhythm and the six kick, but how do I know when to use what? I've never had a swimming lesson before and so far I seem to be doing pretty good, but I know I could improve. How do you find kicks per stroke for yourself, and what are some drills to improve strength and stamina? I'm a total beginner here.

By the way, my stretching goal has been working well. How are everyone else's goals going?
2011-01-26 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3323267

New user
Tim,
Could you give me a little more background on what your swimming ability is as well by answering the following questions. I think this will help to provide a more relevant answer.

How comfortable are you in the water?
Do you breath to both sides and how often?
How far can you swim freestyle without having to rest?
Do your legs tend to sink when you are swimming or do they stay close to the surface reasonably well?

Ray

2011-01-27 1:59 AM
in reply to: #3323267

New user
Tim,

I thought a little more about the question and I have some general comments.  Bear in mind I'm not a great swimmer.  I learnt only in the last couple of years and swim about 1:45 for the 100 now.

The power in the freestyle stroke with good form comes 90% from arms and 10% from legs.  Given this the form in the water is far more important than how frequently you kick.  Additionally kicking takes a lot more effort for the benefit you get.  Because of this long distance swimmers typically use a low number of kicks per stroke to conserve energy. 
The other thing that a lot of swimmers often and incorrectly use the kick for is to keep their legs up in the water.  Ideally your body in the water should be parallel to the surface.  Many swimmers have their legs trailing in the water - this creates a huge amount of drag.  Rather than work on their balance in the water they kick harder to try to get their legs up.  When you do this you are using energy to move legs up rather than your body along through the water.  In short very wasteful.
I typically kick only 2 beats per stroke and instead focus on keeping my form in the water.  Often I just leave my legs trailing in the water with a halfhearted kick or no kick at all.  I find if I kick more frequently then I get tired more quickly my form suffers and I slow down.  Frankly of all the things to work on the kick is typically lower on the list.
Having said this it does benefit your fitness and technique to practise your kick.  The best way to do this you can do lengths only kicking either on your front using a board or on your back with hands above your head (with or without a board).  I happen to prefer the latter because using a board on your front puts you in ahead up legs down position or bends your back.  This is not the same position you should be in the water.  Instead on the back you stay flat and the legs are not dropping down.  Focus on keeping your legs straight when you kick but your ankles loose.  Kick from the hips not the knees.

I hope this is helpful.

Ray
2011-01-27 6:15 AM

New user

Hiroshima
Hey Ray,

First off I appreciate all of the info and the time you are taking, thanks a ton man. I can't repay it with tri info, but on the off chance you ever need help with analyzing a shakespearian play or theatre of the absurd, I'm your man. Let me answer your initial questions first...

100%. I grew up on a lake and with a pool in the backyard, so I was exposed to a lot of recreational swimming. That having been said, I just started swimming for exercise 6 months ago. I was doing 1-2 times a week up until I started my training which now calls for 3 times.

I was only breathing on my right side up until I started the training. I have forced myself to use my left as well now and I tend to alternate every other time. I'm breathing every 3-4 strokes (I don't know how to technically count strokes, right now I do left arm, right, left, breath). More than that and I feel like I'm hyperventilating,  less and I feel like I'm drowning.

To date my furthest was 800m with no rest. I don't know the technical term, but I swim in a circular fashion at my gym's pool so that I never touch the wall. From a youtube video I learned a technique for turning by cutting your arm over your body and flipping over so that the motion is never stopped.

Do your legs tend to sink when you are swimming or do they stay close to the surface reasonably well?
They stay to the surface fairly easily, unless I start feeling fatigued. At that point I begin actively making sure my kicks keep them up.

After reading your second post I got in the pool for my daily training and kept in mind what you said. You are right, I feel like most of my power comes from my arms anyway. I mainly use my kicks to keep my body level, and I tried to feel out two kicks for every stroke. Sometimes when I get fatigued though my body rotation gets strange, and I start using my arms to rotate the body rather than helping it with my core, which of course makes me even more tired. At those moments I start increasing the kicks for propulsion to get me back on track. Your second post was really helpful, so thank you. As one last question, how do recovery sets work? I started using them last week for my endurance swims and I tend to do 25m backstroke for every 200m freestyle. Do I need to eliminate these over the course of my training, or do people us them during races as well? Thanks again Ray, I hope your training is going well!

Tim
2011-01-27 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3324036

New user
Tim

Glad it was useful.

Technically you count a stroke every time your arm enters the water.  So left, right, left (breath), right, left, right (breath) would be breathing every three strokes. 

I don't know much about recovery sets and their purpose as I've never really asked.  If anyone else has any more knowledge here I'd be interested as well.
I would guess that the purpose of doing them is to drop intensity enough to allow your body to somewhat recover from a more strenous set but to keep some activity so that you continue to work on fitness through this period.  It would be similar to doing shuttle runs while going on a group run (i.e. the back person sprints to the front of the pack and then continues to jog).  We know that varying intensity workouts results in a higher fitness level.
As for doing them in a race - in my opinion do whatever works to complete the race (obviously staying within the rules).  The disadvantage of being on your back is you can't see where you are going.  The advantage is that you can breath more freely and catch your breath. 
Do you need to drop them as you continue your training?  You don't need to but whether you want to depends on why you do them.  Are you running out of breath, do you find backstroke easier on your muscles, are you faster at backstroke?  Whatever the reason as you continue your training I would guess that the purpose for doing them fades away naturally.
Ray

2011-01-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3324036

New user
UK
timbell88 - 2011-01-27 12:15 PM Hey Ray,

First off I appreciate all of the info and the time you are taking, thanks a ton man. I can't repay it with tri info, but on the off chance you ever need help with analyzing a shakespearian play or theatre of the absurd, I'm your man. Let me answer your initial questions first...

100%. I grew up on a lake and with a pool in the backyard, so I was exposed to a lot of recreational swimming. That having been said, I just started swimming for exercise 6 months ago. I was doing 1-2 times a week up until I started my training which now calls for 3 times.

I was only breathing on my right side up until I started the training. I have forced myself to use my left as well now and I tend to alternate every other time. I'm breathing every 3-4 strokes (I don't know how to technically count strokes, right now I do left arm, right, left, breath). More than that and I feel like I'm hyperventilating,  less and I feel like I'm drowning.

To date my furthest was 800m with no rest. I don't know the technical term, but I swim in a circular fashion at my gym's pool so that I never touch the wall. From a youtube video I learned a technique for turning by cutting your arm over your body and flipping over so that the motion is never stopped.

They stay to the surface fairly easily, unless I start feeling fatigued. At that point I begin actively making sure my kicks keep them up.

After reading your second post I got in the pool for my daily training and kept in mind what you said. You are right, I feel like most of my power comes from my arms anyway. I mainly use my kicks to keep my body level, and I tried to feel out two kicks for every stroke. Sometimes when I get fatigued though my body rotation gets strange, and I start using my arms to rotate the body rather than helping it with my core, which of course makes me even more tired. At those moments I start increasing the kicks for propulsion to get me back on track. Your second post was really helpful, so thank you. As one last question, how do recovery sets work? I started using them last week for my endurance swims and I tend to do 25m backstroke for every 200m freestyle. Do I need to eliminate these over the course of my training, or do people us them during races as well? Thanks again Ray, I hope your training is going well!

Tim
Tim, Ray has given you great advice on the kick on the swim, thanks Ray cracking stuff! I find i don't kick a great deal when I'm swimming especially in open water as the wetsuit gives great buoyancy and helps propulsion. Here's a fab website worth a look

http://www.swimsmooth.com/
2011-01-29 1:18 AM

New user
UK

Consistency in Endurance Training

We hear it said all the time:  consistency is key in endurance training.  But what exactly does 'consistency' mean, and why is it so important?  And how can we maintain it?

What is Consistency?

First, let's be clear about what 'consistency' does not mean (at least not here).  It does not mean that we do the same workout every time we step out the door (or hop on the bike, or jump in the pool, or walk into the gym).  Nor does it mean that we do the same type of training year round.  Nor does it mean that we never take a break.  It is important to vary our workouts over the course of a week, to vary our overall training regimen of the course of the year, and to get some rest from time to time to let the inevitable little aches and pains heal up.

Consistency means getting sufficiently many well-designed training sessions in per week, reasonably spaced throughout the week, to achieve our fitness goals.  Those goals will be different at different times of the year, and different for different people and for different races.  After a long race eg Ironman, fitness will inevitably decline -- mere mortals cannot maintain peak fitness indefinitely at any level, so we train less.  Our goal is not to improve fitness, or even to maintain it.  Our goal is to recover and not lose too much fitness.  On the flip side, during the build portion of a training plan, our goal is to, well, build (fitness).  At other times, we may be interested in just maintaining, or building a very specific type of fitness (for example, 5K speed, or endurance for a century ride).

Because we have so many different goals, our definition of 'consistency' is necessarily vague.  How do we fill in the details?  There is no magic formula, but there are a few guidelines.

First, there is a minimum number of training sessions per week that we will need to do in order to maintain or improve.  And while this number will depend on a lot of individual factors, it is not equal to 1, and it is probably not equal to 2.  (For some very fit individuals, 1 or 2 might be enough to maintain for a short while, but not long-term.  For individuals who are coming off the couch, 1 or 2 will provide some gains short term, but eventually 1 or 2 will not be enough.)  There are wildly different training methodologies out there -- some advocate high volume, low intensity, while others advocate lower volume and high intensity, and there are plenty of points between those extremes, but I am not aware of any successful training plan that, as a matter of general course, would have anybody training swim bike or run just once per week.  As I mentioned above, many beginner plans will have one doing each twice per week, and for beginners this frequency will get you to the starting line (and more important, across the finish line).  However, it will not take long before twice a week is not enough to make further gains.

Second, these sessions need to be reasonably well 'designed'.  I'm not talking about fancy sets of intervals or complicated progression runs or the like.  There is a place for that stuff, but the bottom line is that we are best served by there not being too large of an imbalance from one session to the next.  Running 2 miles 2 times a week, and 15 miles once a week is a good way to get injured.  Yes, it is OK to make some sessions longer or harder -- indeed, race-specific preparation normally demands that we do so.  But do so within reason.  That 19 miles of running would be better split up as (for example) 5-7-7, or even better as 4-4-4-7.  The same goes (though to a lesser extent) with biking and swimming.  Two 30 minute rides during the week followed by a century on the weekend is a poor use of your training time.

Third and finally, we are better off spacing our workouts relatively evenly throughout the week, and keeping the harder efforts apart from each other if possible.  It is all too common for endurance athletes to miss a few workouts during the week and then load up on the weekend to 'make up for lost time'.  The result is more likely than not to be an injury.  If you're lucky, you won't get injured, just so tired and sore that you take Monday through Wednesday off, and then the vicious cycle has begun.

Why Does it Matter?

Speaking metaphorically, training for endurance sport is all about tearing the body down so that it can rebuild itself stronger.  Less metaphorically, and focusing just on the muscles for the moment, exercise causes some damage to your muscles.  This is especially true of exercise that involves eccentric contractions, meaning that the muscle is contracting at the same time that it is lengthening because of some load.  (Running involves a lot of eccentric contraction which is one reason it is so easy to hurt yourself running.)  The precise nature of this damage is not completely understood, and it varies with the intensity of the exercise, but it appears to include damage to connective tissue, the tissues that surround muscle fibres ('fascia'), and perhaps even the fibres themselves, or the parts of them that are responsible for contraction.

In any case, whatever the nature of the damage, when you have finished done exercising, your body goes to work cleaning up the mess and repairing.  It sends in support (largely in the form of white blood cells, specifically macrophages and neutrophils, which is why muscles can swell up after hard exercise) to consume the damaged proteins, and the reinforcements (largely in the form of new proteins).  For reasons that are, to my knowledge, not well understood, the rebuilt muscle tissue is, well, better, stronger, and faster.  In fact, physiologists call this process of rebuilding 'remodeling' and that's a good name inasmuch as the new muscle is improved over the old. They call the fact that remodeling produces improvements the 'repeated bout effect'.

The best theory going about why intense exercise makes us sore is that there are pain receptors in and around the muscles that are triggered by the byproducts of the process described above.  This is why (according to the theory) it takes a while for muscle soreness to set in.  (In any case, the old 'lactic acid' theory of soreness is debunked -- lactic acid clears from your muscle in less than 2 hours in the worst cases.)  However -- and this is important -- don't think that you need to be sore in order to get the benefits of the repeated bout effect.  In fact, 99.9% of the time you do not want to train to the point of being sore the next day.  (OK, those of you who are just starting out can ignore that last statement -- it is very difficult to avoid soreness when you are just starting out.  Don't worry; this will go away quickly (in weeks, not months) -- because of the repeated bout effect!)  You get remodeled muscles even when you exercise more moderately.  And you get the added benefit of being able to do it again the next day, and the next, and the next, and this consistency is much better for you than the slash and burn method of slaying yourself and then being laid up for 4 days before you can train again. You get far more remodels this way.

Exercise has other physiological benefits of course. The major one is that your body gets more efficient at getting energy to the place it is needed (your muscles). It also becomes able to deliver more energy (more precisely, it supplies more of what your muscles need to make energy, and your muscles become better equipped to use this additional supply). This increase in efficiency and volume is achieved in several ways. Your heart gets bigger and stronger. Some muscle fibers are converted from anaerobic but powerful types (Type IIb, 'fast twitch') to aerobically efficient, fatigue-resistant, types (Type IIa, and possibly Type I, 'slow twitch'). Your capillaries expand in size and number, enhancing the flow of oxygen and nutrients to your muscles, and the flow of waste out of them. Your number of mitochondria (the cells largely responsible for the production of energy) increases. And we could go on...

Every time you train, you make little improvements on all of these fronts. If you train big one day, then rest 4 days, you get one session of improvement, followed by 4 days where your body says "you know, we didn't really need to do that now did we?". In other words, your body pretty quickly reverses the small improvements you get from a single bout of exercise. It quickly adapts to what it is told that it needs. You have to continually convince your body that yes, you do need those little improvements. The only way to do that is to exercise. Consistently.

How Do I Do It?

OK, so I hope now you're convinced that consistency is key. How do we achieve it? There are really two issues here. (1) How can we be sure that our bodies can handle a consistent training regimen? (2) How can we get out the door (onto the bike, into the pool, into the gym) on a consistent basis with everything else going on in our lives?

The answer to (1) is easy: don't train too hard. In running, this means running easy (conversation is possible) most of the time. As a general guideline, keep the really intense running to around 5% of your total running per week. And don't go hard if your body is telling you not to. In biking, we can handle more intensity (because there is less impact and less eccentric contraction going on). Again as a very general guideline (these numbers are very much ballpark and will vary based on a lot of things, but they'll give you an idea), maybe 25% of your biking can be very hard, 50% moderate, and 25% relatively easy. (By 'relatively easy' I don't mean soft-pedaling. This isn't a Sunday, stop and smell the flowers, cruise pace, but it is one where holding a conversation is not a problem.) Swimming is even lower impact, and you can afford to put some very intense swimming into just about every, if not every, training session. The main thing to watch out for is shoulder injury, which can be more of a problem for with form issues. Going very hard with poor form can lead to injury. Overuse is also possible. Listen to your body.

The answer to (2) is hard. The first thing to say here is that once you get sufficiently involved in triathlon, you will want to train most days. It won't be a struggle -- you will desire to train. That still leaves us with two problems: what do you do when you don't want to train, and how do you make the time to train?

Here I think that the number of answers is just about equal to the number of people. I'll tell you what works for me, and what I've heard working for others. Maybe something here will work for you.

As for lack of desire, one thing that works for me is remembering that at the end of any training session, I am almost always glad that I did it, even if I'm not super thrilled about getting started. I try to remember that feeling of satisfaction that I get from getting it done on days when the fire isn't in the belly. Often just remembering what that feels like is enough to get me started. Another is having training partners. So you told your friend that you'd meet up for the group ride Saturday morning at 6am. It's 5:30am and your bed really is comfy and warm. But no way are you going to leave your friend sitting out there in the cold. So you go. That's what friends are for! Finally, committing to a goal, and making that goal known to others, is a great way to maintain motivation.

As for lack of time, it's a problem most of us face. Two things that help are to commit each day to a time to train, and to be prepared to take advantage of unexpected opportunities to train.

Don't just say "Sometime today I'm going to go for a run". Say "At noon today, I'm going to go for a run." Treat it as you would an appointment with a business partner, or a client, schedule it and do it; you wouldn't cancel or move that appointment without a good reason. The same goes for your training 'appointment'. Second, be ready to take advantage of unplanned training time. Was that meeting at 4:00 just cancelled? Well, what are you waiting for, get over to the pool and go for a swim! The thing is, for this to work, you have to be ready. Your swim bag (or a spare one) lives in your car. A pair of running shoes and gear lives in your office. Your bike is always ready to roll on a moment's notice. You might be surprised how much training time you can find just by being ready to strike when the opportunity presents itself.

I know its really hard but early morning training is a real plus. It gets it done, it kicks start your metabolism for the day, makes you feel great and fills you full of energy. Also if you can get a lunchtime session in that works well too. I am going to swim a couple of times a week as part of the goals I set for Feb.

Combining sessions, or combining training with other activities can sometimes be useful. Commuting to work or other places by running or biking can also be a very efficient use of time. Finally, while none of us wants to lose perspective on what's important, do be prepared to make some sacrifices. The life of an endurance athlete (at least, one who is employed and has a family) is probably not compatible with 4 hours of TV a night, for example. Something has to give. Ask yourself what you want to look back on 10 years from now -- 15,000 hours of television or a long-term commitment to a healthy lifestyle and the memory of crossing the finish line feeling strong and looking good? The answer is clear!

Summary

• Try to train at least twice a week in each discipline, 3 times if you are not a pure beginner.
  • Make sure that each session leaves you ready to do the next one. Go easier the day before and the day after your really hard sessions.
  • You get better physiological adaptations from several sessions of varying intensity than from just a very few mega-sessions.
  • Find a way to stay motivated.
  • Commit each training day to a specific session at a specific time, but also be prepared to take advantage of unexpected opportunities to train.

2011-01-29 2:28 AM

New user

Hiroshima

Needless to say, this is awesome. Thank you so much Neil, I will be reading this several more times over the next few weeks as I continue getting myself motivated everyday.

2011-01-29 1:52 PM

New user
UK
Hi folks, just to let you know its my first race of the season tomorrow, a 10 miler (running) called the Ferriby 10. I will be more of a run than a race, will take it nice and steady and report in tomorrow! Neil
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » njc65 Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 9