BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Erin's "Insanity is Relative" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2012-05-04 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4134000

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Erin's "Insanity is Relative" Group - CLOSED

I haven't used headphones when running outside - but when the kids were younger and I was assigned to the dreadmill, I used audio books a lot.  I found with a good intriguing book I'd sometimes run just a little bit longer to finish a chapter -- and I'd be eager for teh next workout to continue the adventure.

This time 'round I've been trying to have most of my runs off street.  A good firetrail, bike path or even single track is sooooo much more enjoyable than dodging broken glass, worrying about road crowning, looking for kids and cars, and having the sun reflect off the HOT asphalt.  I've found I'm much more eager for a run if I'm at a trail.  No audio but wind and birds.

2012-05-04 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

Niki - I'll have to think in the 1,000 set.  Maybe just do some of the 1,500 workouts I sent you and cut out the drill and reduce the warm up / cool down?

As for counting laps, there's nothing special to it.  You just count... 1..... 2.....3....  Really.  I use it as sort of a meditation time, where you focus mainly on THAT number and block out all other distractions.  So as I'm swimming along the lane, I'll literally think 1.... 1......1.... [flip turn] 2..... 2.... 2.....  I'm pretty accurate.  I've done several 3,000s for time straight and was spot on for where I was.  The trick is to know how many lengths you're doing in a set (for example, 500 = 20 lengths) and set milestones (usually for pace or form checks).  I also know roughly how long certain distances take me.  200 = 3:30, 500 = 9:00.  If I'm short by 1:30-40, I know I miscounted by 4 lengths.

Make sense?  This may just work for me.... I'm an engineer and a bit like Rain Man when it comes to numbers.  But I will say that it is pretty freeing to be able to block out all distractions and just focus on one thing for an hour. 

If you are stopping at the wall to mess with stuff, you are not swimming that distance properly.  You are instead swimming a broken set (with probably 5 seconds rest while you mess with something every 50 yards).  These two things are not the same. and will not be all that great in the long run.  (steps off swimming-snobbery soapbox )

2012-05-04 11:00 PM

Hi there.  I bought a Swimovate watch.  It's superb and very accurate.  You programme in your pool length, your weight etc and it counts laps, strokes, metres, calories, time and efficiency.  I ordered mine from the UK and if I remember rightly it was around 70 GBP.  It's www.swimovate.com.

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for the past week or so.  Bit of a slump in spirits.  Managed to get in a brick last weekend and was mega pleased with my 3km run at 9.86km/h the fastest I've ever run.  However, on Tuesday my respiration was rubbish, my lungs and muscles were just not getting enough oxygen to work efficiently, I became SO tired and ended up doing a 8km run at just 7.2km/h!  I also the next day proceeded to fall off my bike as I didn't unclip my foot quite fast enough when coming to a stop.  Rather embarrassingly this happened next to a rather busy main road Embarassed.  Didn't do much for my confidence which is already almost non-existant as it's the first time i've ever ridden a road race bike never mind these clip-in shoes!  Anyway, really started to doubt whether it's foolish for me to think that with my physiology I can compete in triathlons.  Gave myself a good talking to and tried to remind myself that I'm doing this for ME not anybody else and also doing it for the challenge and pleasure of getting across that finish line.  Doesn't help when I keep comparing myself to my husband whom is VERY supportive but also very fit and will just go out and do a 21km almost as a warm-up and then do my run with me afterwards and STILL be faster!

Okay, on a more positive note, I did a 1.5km swim on Thursday and did my 400m Try a Tri distance in 9 minutes.  Laughing  Swimming is my favourite discipline and I feel SO much more at ease in the water than I do on my feet!

I'm up at 5am to go for a run at around 6am.  Best get my gear on now...........

Enjoy your weekend's training everyone.

2012-05-04 11:39 PM

User image

Master

5sec rest per 50?  no way!  it's a quick slip of the water bottle over a tile and off again. Takes half a second, if that, feet never touch bottom, body doesn't stop moving.  I agree, a 5sec rest every 50 would not equal the same workout as a straight 300; be honest about efforts!

I too double check my count with simple math - knowing your typical swim rate can help correct mental tally errors.  Harder to do when you're doing a 25yd by 20 with variable rests or mixed pull/kick drills, but easy on a straight-forward 2-400 swim.

Tomorrow is pool time and run time!

2012-05-05 8:25 AM

I too like the mantra of counting laps, although I lose count all the time. Suddenly "seven....seven....seven" becomes "seven...seven...I can't believe that person at work actually did that today...oh I have to remember to sign that permission slip for the school trip...eight...seven...oh crap". I have a relatively cheap Times waterproof watch and I know I take a little less than a minute per 50yds so if I lose count I can tell by what minute I am on how far I am, like others were saying.I can't run with my husband, period. He literally has to run backwards periodically for me to stay with him he is so much faster. I am doing this for myself. Just compare yourself to your couch potato self and be proud of all your progress. I run around my neighborhood in Queens so there are plenty of others out. What helps my motivation is to see others walking with a cigarette or a cane and be so happy I am able to keep my body healthy by exercising, that my kids will have a healthy mom for years to come. Just keep at it. The fitness does get better, and there will always be someone faster or fitter to compare yourself to. :-)
2012-05-05 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4190579

User image

New user

Florida

I had the same problem...I was trying to count in my head and lost count.  I did 400, 500 or 600 yards at my last workout.  I think I'm going to bring two cups with marbles and move a marble at each 100 split so I can keep track of where I am.

Not sure how it'll work when I start going longer, but this will work for me right now.

2012-05-06 12:23 AM

User image

Alberta, Canada
So, it looks as though I won't be doing the Banff GranFondo. As a replacement, I was thinking of the Stettler Sprint Tri on Aug 8. That would give me 3 Sprint Tri's over the summer/early fall, each no closer than 1 month to the next. Sound doable for a newbie with weak shoulders?
2012-05-06 1:36 AM

User image

New question...what do you think the benefit of aerobars are compared to just staying down in the drops?  I have a road bike at this point and was starting to think about clip-on aerobars, vs. just waiting and buying a tri bike in the next year or 2.  Thoughts?
2012-05-06 7:22 PM

User image

New user

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I will look into Swimovate and the pennies idea. For now I'll keep my watch at the edge of the pool and see how long it lasts. Friday it got pretty wet but didn't malfunction.

Last week I hit all my goals. I didn't run as far as I would have liked but I eeked out 3 runs. This week I plan to do the same thing. 2 swims (Tues and Fri) 2 bikes (Mon and Sat) 2 Bootcamps (Tues and Thurs) 2 strength training days (Mon and Sat) and 3 runs (Wed, Thurs and Sun).

I hope everyone has a good week.

2012-05-06 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

Niki - I think that sprint schedule will be fine.  (of course, I'm probably the wrong person to ask... I have 3 races in July and I should be marathon training as well).  Seriously, though, 1 month is PLENTY of time to recovery.

Jamie - I have a TT bike, so I have no direct experience in this.  Someone in my tri club posed this question in our facebook page recently, though.  The majority of people said that clip-on aerobars are a HUGE help.  You may want to look into getting a fit done when you do it, just to make sure that everything is set up correctly.

I managed to kick my booty properly this weekend.  2500 m swim + 2 hrs of windy hill repeats on Saturday.  Today was a windy and hilly 60 mile ride.  My quads are cooked!

and since its Sunday - how did you do against your goals last week.  What are your goals this week?  Happy training everyone!

2012-05-06 9:59 PM

This past week was tough due to my husband being out of town. Not much working out when he was away, but did manage to get one good swim, two good runs, a great spinning class, and a little Pilates video done. This week hubby leaving again Friday. Plus one workout out the window Wednesday as I signed up for a bike flat changing course during my usual workout time. But since I am so new to cycling, I am really in need of some of those basic skills. So, my goals for this week will be one good swim, one good run, two good other workouts tbd by weather this week, and one good weekend workout upstate at my folk's house. The week following I hope to be back to my usual six workouts as my first event (aquathlon) this season looms about a month away.

2012-05-06 11:37 PM

User image

Alberta, Canada

I made my goal from last week... feeling better (emotional slump-wise) and I biked to work both on Friday and today... today was my best time - a full 15 minutes faster than the first time I commuted to work (same route ~ 16 km). I'm feeling a lot more comfortable on my bike and am really enjoying commuting in. Can't wait until we move offices (less than 3 weeks), as there will be showers there.

~ ~ ~

This week's goal: get in the pool twice, two bike rides, kettlebells (Tues) and 1 run. We'll see how that goes (along with Physio on Tues).

2012-05-07 12:43 AM

User image

Ran X 2, biked X3, only swam X 2 due to birthday party but I am thrilled considering I had to work 58 hours this week.   And I located my wetsuit and a place to try it out this week!

Goals for this week:

Last long ride in preparation for half century in 2 weeks. (44 miles)

Practice some transitions, bike U-turns, and wetsuit swimming.

Tempe Olympic triathlon on Sunday...plan is to just enjoy it and get some experience with open water and the longer distance.

2012-05-07 1:58 PM

User image

Master

erg.  I hate running in warm weather.  I have my 5K on Saturday but have yet to run that distance.  Oh well!  I'll run it on Saturday!  I need to think about what is a reasonable goal.  Last year I aimed for a sub-12:30 pace and running every step -- and I made my goal and was very pleased.  I'm not sure that goal is attainable this year.    Maybe just the second part - run every step.  It is a fairly flat fire-road course.  I should look at the weather prediction; there is no shade on the course.  Last year it was cool and breezy but this weekend was hot (over 80) and today too.  Hoping for a cooling trend!

I started using the BT nutrition log.  I feel like I generally eat pretty well, but I was surprised by my fat/carb/protein ratios on the first day of data I tracked.  We'll see what it looks like after a few days of info is gathered, meals might warrant some tweaks! 

off to shower and to the ENT who will tell me I need surgery and I'll defer.

Cynthia

2012-05-08 7:07 AM

My spin instructor recommended getting spin shoes. Do you gals use different shoes for biking? Can you use the same shoes for spin class? I am just using my regular Schwinn "Walmart" bike for my sprint tri no fancy pedals. Dawn
2012-05-08 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

Back before I did triathlon (and I did some spinning), I did go and buy some spinning-specific shoes.  I didn't spend a lot of money on them (I think I found some on clearance for $40) but they are CLUNKY and there's no way I'd ever wear them on the bike.  The cleats are Speedplay type deals (metal and small)

Then when I got my TT bike and clipless pedals, I got SPD pedals, and cycling shoes with the SPD-specific cleat.  My gym at time time had pedals which accomodated both SPD and Speedplay cleats.  When I moved and went to 24-hr Fitness, their spin bikes only accomodated Speedplay cleats.

So, long story short.... If you do want to buy shoes for spinning, figure out which cleat system to get.  Then figure out if you want some cheapie shoes for spinning, or if you want to invest in long-term cycling shoes (which start at $100, mine are Sidi Genius 5's which retailed for more like $220) and get the shoes/cleats which will work for you long term.

2012-05-08 12:59 PM

User image

Master

I use platform pedals and cages on my road bike.  I figure since I only do sprint distances, the extra time for a second shoe change is not offset by any pull advantage on the bike.  Since I have cages I have pull.  My T2 is generally one of the fastest overall because I simply rack my bike, doff helmet, don hat, and start running.  No need to switch out shoes in T2.

I've never done a spin class so can't speak to spin-shoes.  I use the trainer in my driveway with my cages and runners :P

Cynthia

2012-05-09 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

you guys sure are quiet.... you must be working HARD!

Here's a swim set that I liked from this morning:

600 warm-up

8 x 50, alterate drill and swim by 50's

300 race pace

3 x 100 long and strong (also known as distance per stroke - GLIDE a lot for these)

200 race pace

3 x 100 long and strong

100 race pace

3 x 100 long and strong

50 race pace

3 x 100 long and strong

200 cool down

3000 yards total

modifications:

• reduce warmup
  • cut drill/swim down to 8 x 25s
  • do the main set starting at the 200, 100, or whatever your ability level/goals are
  • keep the main set 300, 200, etc but reduce the 3 x 100's to 3 x 50's

Happy swimming!

2012-05-09 7:17 PM

User image

Well, my week took an unexpected turn on Monday.  On my trail run I cam upon a person with a gunshot wound.  I did CPR for 20 minutes but the person did not survive. 

Yesterday I could barely walk.  It turns out CPR by yourself on the ground for that long is not exactly ergonomic.  Aside from being pretty shaken up, I was afraid I would not be able to do my olympic triathlon on Sunday.

But today I am feeling better.  I've decided to take it easy for the rest of the week (I was able to do a slow, flat 44 miles on the bike today).  I'll practice my U-turns on the bike, practice transitions, and get in the lake with my wetsuit on.  There's lots of little details I have to work out while I let my back and my hamstrings recover.

Here's hoping everyone else is having a better week.

2012-05-09 8:04 PM

User image

Master

Oh goodness!  My mom was out walking when a bicyclist collapsed with a heart attack right in front of her.  He also did not make it despite quick CPR. It was rather traumatic as the emergency vehicles could not find them - a black hole between county/city coverage.  

Take care of yourself as you physically and mentally recover from your adventure.

Cynthia

2012-05-10 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4200768

User image

New user

Florida

I've been doing my workouts, not as much swimming as I'd like.  I made a few realizations this week.  

My swimming is no where near where it needs to be, I'm over training on my bike (usually 30 miles or more on rides) but my ankle seems to be recovered from my sprain as it hasn't been hurting on my runs as of late.

I've decided to post pone my first sprint tri til August, not making excuses just realizing where I am so my first tri will be a positive experience.

Training this week so far, Saturday 30 mile cycle (20 mph pace), weight training Monday, 3 mile run Wednesday, today I'm going to do a swim workout.  I'm going to try the one you posted with some reduction in distance.

I believe I need to shorten my rides and incorporate more bricks during the week. At this point cycling seems to be my strongest discipline so I'm going to reduce there and focus more on swimming.

2012-05-10 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
2012-05-10 9:56 PM

User image

@ Marty:  I am constantly battling against doing more training in my strongest area (running) to focus more on swimming and biking.  Does everyone have that problem?  What do you do about it? 

Jaime

2012-05-11 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

Just dropping in here really quick..

GOOD LUCK JAMIE ON YOUR OLY TRI!!!

2012-05-11 11:10 AM

Good luck from me as well!!

Yes, I too have trouble trying to get more running in (my weakest) and sacrificing swimming.  Right now I swim twice a week for an hour, and refuse to drop any swim time just because it's what got me working out again in the first place and is such a good stress reliever for me.  I know they say to train to your weaknesses, but that just gets me depressed and makes working out a chore.  It is tough to find a balance. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Erin's "Insanity is Relative" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 9