BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-05-05 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1351583

User image

Kansas
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!
Well, we ran our 5K trail run this weekend.....I sucked! But, it was a great time and we had a blast.  I will definitely do it again sometime. Hopefully it won't be as muddy, but it was a beautiful place and the other runners were a ton of fun. I do need to run more, though. It's supposed to rain here all this week, but as long as there isn't any lightening, I think I'll go out in it anyway. Might as well. It could rain on race day!  On a side note.....the wedding is next week--I can't believe it! Anyway, I have a WONDERFUL bike tan, if you know what I mean--the back of my neck, above my ankles--and it's not in the right places for the dress I'm wearing.  So I went to the tanning place today and got one of those spray on jobs to see what it was like.  Wanted to do it this week in case it was bad and I'd have time for it to go away.  It was awesome! Tonight I have a gorgeous tan that is very even. I won't have to wear hose with my dress!!  Yippee!  I am planning on going to the pool tomorrow...gosh, I'll feel like a sun goddess or something!  

2008-05-05 9:46 PM

User image

Modesto, California

I'm a little sore, what a great race weekend for me! Met some awesome athletes, and had wonderful weather and great food. I watched Chris McCormick cross the finish as I was registering for my race, I could not believe how fast male pros were running before the finish, to me they looked like sprinters.

My race had mixed results, hard lessons and some great improvements, I think Wildflower has become my demon......... I will be ready next time!

2008-05-05 10:12 PM

User image

Master

toot toot  <-- that's me tooting my horn.  I did a 30 minute run tonight via 5/1s.  The 2nd 5 felt dragging and I was wondering how I'd do the last 3 but the next 2 were pretty good and the final one would have been better had I not been running into the setting sun.  I do think I need to find a way to keep cooler, I'll jaunt to REI for one of those cooling bandanas and give it a try.  I was really flushed when I got home and dipped my head under the kitchen sink faucet a couple times to get cool.  And it wasn't above 80.  BUT I feel great!  I feel like my form is coming together, my core feels stronger, I dunno, just a nice confident run tonight despite the second 5.  Yippee!

My bike-swim-bike this weekend kinda happened - we missed a turn and the 16 mile ride got a little longer (2.5 miles further for our detour) and we had forgotten a lock for the bikes so there was no way to secure them while we swam.  I tried sweet talking the gate lady so we could bring them into the grass/beach area but she wouldn't budge.  So with the lake water a warm (ha!) 58*, the bikes not secure, and a headwind back to the car, we talked ourselves out of the swim... but will try another day - either without the bikes or bring towels/change of clothes for ride back.

Oh, and speaking of gearing on the bikes (great topic!), my mtn bike keeps choking on the rear derailer and only allowing me to shift the front gears.  That makes riding more challenging!  Thanks for the get-a-book-from-the-library idea.  I reserved a couple for pickup!  I wonder how much different the road bike will feel once I have it on the road; finally got my pedals!

Bill, I read about your bonk on Tritalk.  Ugh. to say the least.  But I would presume that the advice about needing a longer rest may well be right - It's since HS that I was a regular athlete, but did distance running then and you do need your body ready as well as your mind.  take a few days of swim/bike before you try another looong run. 

nevergivin!  my poor brain, I forgot you were doing wildflower this weekend!  I was loving seeing all the cars on the freeway on Sunday with bike racks and figured a decent share of them were Wildflowers heading home.

2008-05-06 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1383816

User image

Kansas
Movingsouth - the cooling bandanas are great! I have one and I use it a lot...even when we are just out in the heat for any reason, not just training. One thing, though, do NOT put it in the freezer or in a cooler with ice...unless you do it for a very very short time. I did that once and the little deals inside that hold the water and keep it cool exploded all over the place! The kind I have is soaked in water for awhile and it stays cool for a long time. You can put it in the fridge if you want...just stay away from any freezing temps.                                                                            
2008-05-06 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1385110

User image

Master

Big Mama - 2008-05-06 11:37 AM Movingsouth - the cooling bandanas are great! 

Thanks for the advice.  I see some cheapies on ebay.  trying to decide if I should go bargain or branded.

I have a 5K to run this weekend with the hubby and kids in their stroller (erh, hubby will run, not be in the stroller with kids).  My training plan has me up to doing 7 minute runs with 1 minute walks... should I "plan" on running the whole 5K?  My current mental fortitude would be to walk if I "allow" it in case of need, meaning, if I give myself the "out" I'll likely take it, but, I think, if I say I gotta run the whole thing, then I can do it... 

So --- will you all tell me I can do it and I'll run it all?

Or should I be conservative and allow some walking since my longest training run so far is barely 3 miles with 5/1 repeats? 

2008-05-06 11:39 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
I definitely need to check out the cooling bandanas!! Let me know what you get!

2008-05-06 11:40 PM
in reply to: #1385870

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
movingsouth - 2008-05-06 5:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. I see some cheapies on ebay. trying to decide if I should go bargain or branded.

I have a 5K to run this weekend with the hubby and kids in their stroller (erh, hubby will run, not be in the stroller with kids). My training plan has me up to doing 7 minute runs with 1 minute walks... should I "plan" on running the whole 5K? My current mental fortitude would be to walk if I "allow" it in case of need, meaning, if I give myself the "out" I'll likely take it, but, I think, if I say I gotta run the whole thing, then I can do it...

Or should I be conservative and allow some walking since my longest training run so far is barely 3 miles with 5/1 repeats?

You can definitely do it!! Just slow up a bit if you need to but you can keep going!!
2008-05-07 7:07 AM

User image

Modesto, California
movingsouth - 2008-05-06 4:07 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I see some cheapies on ebay.  trying to decide if I should go bargain or branded.

I have a 5K to run this weekend with the hubby and kids in their stroller (erh, hubby will run, not be in the stroller with kids).  My training plan has me up to doing 7 minute runs with 1 minute walks... should I "plan" on running the whole 5K?  My current mental fortitude would be to walk if I "allow" it in case of need, meaning, if I give myself the "out" I'll likely take it, but, I think, if I say I gotta run the whole thing, then I can do it... 

Go for it, just find a comfortable pace or friend to run along side with and dont think to walk. Be patient at the begining to allow everyone to get some space and then find your groove. I like to meet people as I work my way thru an event, its what I enjoy about the experience and makes the distance seem so much shorter. You can do it!

Edited by nevergivin 2008-05-07 7:09 AM
2008-05-07 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1386530

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-07 8:32 AM

Kansas

Moving South - I am probably the least experienced one of this group and so I understand your struggle with what to do with the run. I feel like I'm "wimping out" if I walk any and yet there are so many books out there that talk about walking/running when you are just starting out mainly to prevent injury before your body is ready to increase your distance. It sounds like maybe more of a fun day if you've got the hubby and kids in a stroller (the picture of them ALL in a stroller was a funny one in my mind for sure!) and I would approach it that way. From your training it's apparent that you can do it. Go have a great time and enjoy the experience.  I figure that I learn something every time I train or run in an event and it's helping me to become better every time. Have a great time, give it all you got and no matter what, you will be doing something that probably a lot of people you know won't even be off the couch on Saturday let alone go run in a race!!!

2008-05-07 9:16 AM

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-05-06 3:07 PM

You can totally do it! Just make running the whole thing your goal. Always good to have a slightly aggressive goal. You can do the run/walk as a back-up plan after you start if you're not feeling it. Either way, you'll be finishing that 5K, which is great! 

2008-05-07 9:42 PM

Master

Thanks mateys!  I love the encouragement.  I told my husband tonight that I intended to run the whole 5K, pace unknown but no walking, and he said he didn't think he could do it without walking....so he wants to push the stroller with both kids and let me do my own pace without worrying about them!!  yippee!   

I figured we would each push a stroller and split the load but he says no, he'll do it all - of course he laughed and said that means he'll have an excuse the rest of the day for begging fatigue.  hmph.

In related news, I did a brick tonight and, while my run was only three quarters of a mile, I had a GREAT pace (for me)!!!  I'm getting fired up mateys!

-Cynthia 

2008-05-08 8:58 AM

Kansas
Cynthia -- yeah for your hubby!  You'll do awesome! Can't wait to hear how you did!
2008-05-08 9:08 AM

Kansas
Okay, people, the big 5-0 is only 5 days away for me!  It's the whole reason I'm doing this triathlon and it's time to come up with a celebration!  What are we gonna do that day to celebrate? 50 of something....maybe we should all choose what we want our 50 somethings to be? I'm gonna make mine something significant since, well, 50 is a big deal! I'll ponder that this morning as I run. Gonna go to the running store first and help them out with getting race bags ready for this weekend (the owners are great friends of mine & it's been fun to help them as well as run in these races) and maybe they will have some great 50 ideas.  Can't believe I'm gonna be half a century old.  I don't feel old at all.  As a matter of fact, I'm sure that I feel better this year than I have for years. And my husband has been commenting on my "physique" quite a bit lately...that's been cooooolll! I am so glad that I have been willing to just go out and do this. No matter that I'm not the fastest or most coordinated or anything. But that I am actually doing it. And I don't care who thinks I'm crazy (and several do....you're too old, you'll get sick...I've heard it all) This is going to be a way of life for me from now til I'm at least 90.  
2008-05-08 9:27 AM

2008-05-08 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1389425

Modesto, California

Big Mama - 2008-05-08 7:08 AM Okay, people, the big 5-0 is only 5 days away for me!  It's the whole reason I'm doing this triathlon and it's time to come up with a celebration!  What are we gonna do that day to celebrate? 50 of something....maybe we should all choose what we want our 50 somethings to be? I'm gonna make mine something significant since, well, 50 is a big deal! I'll ponder that this morning as I run. Gonna go to the running store first and help them out with getting race bags ready for this weekend (the owners are great friends of mine & it's been fun to help them as well as run in these races) and maybe they will have some great 50 ideas.  Can't believe I'm gonna be half a century old.  I don't feel old at all.  As a matter of fact, I'm sure that I feel better this year than I have for years. And my husband has been commenting on my "physique" quite a bit lately...that's been cooooolll! I am so glad that I have been willing to just go out and do this. No matter that I'm not the fastest or most coordinated or anything. But that I am actually doing it. And I don't care who thinks I'm crazy (and several do....you're too old, you'll get sick...I've heard it all) This is going to be a way of life for me from now til I'm at least 90.  

Try doing a tri in each state, that would be pretty significant and crazy and would be exactly 50! Kidding , sounded cool though!

2008-05-08 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1389425

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Big Mama - 2008-05-08 6:08 AM

Okay, people, the big 5-0 is only 5 days away for me!  It's the whole reason I'm doing this triathlon and it's time to come up with a celebration!  What are we gonna do that day to celebrate? 50 of something....maybe we should all choose what we want our 50 somethings to be? I'm gonna make mine something significant since, well, 50 is a big deal! I'll ponder that this morning as I run. Gonna go to the running store first and help them out with getting race bags ready for this weekend (the owners are great friends of mine & it's been fun to help them as well as run in these races) and maybe they will have some great 50 ideas.  Can't believe I'm gonna be half a century old.  I don't feel old at all.  As a matter of fact, I'm sure that I feel better this year than I have for years. And my husband has been commenting on my "physique" quite a bit lately...that's been cooooolll! I am so glad that I have been willing to just go out and do this. No matter that I'm not the fastest or most coordinated or anything. But that I am actually doing it. And I don't care who thinks I'm crazy (and several do....you're too old, you'll get sick...I've heard it all) This is going to be a way of life for me from now til I'm at least 90.  

Yay! Is your birthday Tuesday the 13th?

I'm going to pledge 50 min of running.

I think it's awesome you don't feel 50! I'm hoping to still be tri'ing at 50.

2008-05-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1388703

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-05-07 6:42 PM

...so he wants to push the stroller with both kids and let me do my own pace without worrying about them!!  yippee!   

Excellent! Now you can focus on your pace and running without the worries of the stroller. Yay for an awesome hubby! Let him have an extra donut after the race.

2008-05-08 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1389484

Kansas
wgraves7582      I volunteer to eat 50 oreo cookies for the celebration!  Does that work?
    If you can actually eat 50 oreos in one sitting, I think that might just qualify for something!  I'd like to actually see that!  
2008-05-08 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1389571

Kansas
Try doing a tri in each state, that would be pretty significant and crazy and would be exactly 50! Kidding , sounded cool though!
      You know, that is actually a pretty neat idea!  It might take awhile, but it would be one of those life-long kind of goals that keeps you always motivated.  Makes me think about where I would want to go first.....and the last one would have to be the most special, right?
2008-05-08 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1390148

2008-05-08 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1390183

Master

I was thinking I could do 50 laps for you since Tuesday is my swim day - but that'd be doubling my swim workout which may result in drowning... I'm not ready to walk the plank for you

Ah!  I could commit to doing my core exercises that day - last month I only got my strength/core exercises all done because I was on a challenge team and needed to do it for the team.  Could I do 50 reps?  2 sets of 25?  yeah, maybe.

Though the Oreo idea sounds good too... haven't had them in ages. 

2008-05-08 1:42 PM

Master
Bill- is this an eye test? I thought you rode through the chiro's not optician's.  what's the new avatar about?
2008-05-08 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1390422

Edited by wgraves7582 2008-05-08 1:49 PM
2008-05-08 2:28 PM

Kansas
wgraves7582 - 2008-05-08 12:41 PM After I typed that I thought I don't think I could even do that - unless they were the mini ones, but I doubt I could put 50 of those down and keep them down as well!

So I will do 50 pushups for you (on top of my 100 that I have to do for our Push Up challenge) Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

50 is a big deal (My doctor told me I get to have colonoscopies when I turn 50) so why not celebrate!

I will take the 50 pushups!  And on top of 100...you are incredible!  And yes, 50 is the time for some new "testing". I also got my AARP membership application in the mail this past week. Senior Citizen discounts here I come!!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  

of 15