BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnerg1rl7's Group!! - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2008-05-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1364886

Regular
Hockeytown, MI
Subject: RE: Runnerg1rl7's Group!! - Closed

Good Luck to those of you racing

Everyone enjoy the long weekend

Have safe travels and tasty breverages this weekend!!!

2008-05-26 8:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by FutureIronGirl17 2008-05-26 8:40 PM
2008-05-26 10:47 PM

Regular
Chicago

Nice job getting the gym/pool membership, Libby!

How was everyone's weekend? This group has seemed a little quiet lately. How are the races and training going?

2008-05-27 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1425199

Master
I had a great weekend of training and since this week is a recovery week I got Monday off....YAY!!!

Got outside on my road bike for the first time this year on both Saturday and Sunday. Went for a nice relaxed group ride on Saturday. On Sunday I did a modified sprint triathlon - swam 500M, then drove out to Stoney Creek Metro Park and rode 12.2 miles and then ran 3 miles. I was happy with my times especially given that last week was a big volume week for me. I'm pretty pumped and working hard to stick close to my plan for the next four weeks (1st Sprint of the year on June 22nd).
2008-05-27 9:05 AM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
Hey Everyone!!!!  How was the long weekend?  How's training?  I am going to kick up my training....so Libby....your butt will be kicked    Did anyone have a Race this weekend?
2008-05-27 9:25 AM

Chicago, IL

Hi everyone! Had a 10 mile race this weekend. Did not do so well. I was on pace for about 6 miles and I just totally lost steam. Ah well. Can't win 'em all. It was still a good time. Also, I was going to do my first organized bike ride this weekend (Bike the Drive) and I totally bailed. After my poor performance at the race, I decided I was due for a couple day off, and really the prospect of getting up at 5am AGAIN just didn't sound enticing.

Tonight I have swim class. Tomorrow I leave for a business trip, but my hotel has a gym so I should get at least a couple of treadmill runs in.  

Oh and I have the race report on my blog.  

2008-05-27 9:27 AM

2008-05-27 2:22 PM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
well well well....I think that sounds like a challenge Libby...dogs or no dogs...I'll run circles around you...lol
2008-05-27 2:25 PM

2008-05-27 3:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Hi guys!

Sounds like some good training went on over the weekend - and some more good training just waiting to be had (John and Libby especially!).  Lou - tough break on your race!  My friend who also ran that didn't run as well as she wanted to, either.

For those of you who haven't stopped by my log, it was another busy weekend for me.  Lots of family stuff took up most of my time, so training unfortunately didn't take top priority.  Still, DH and I managed to get 2 races in - a fun trail 5K on Saturday ("fun" is relative here, kids - it was quite scenic and fun to run on trails...but WOW was it ever a difficult course!  even without really pushing myself to PR it was still brutal) and a 5-miler yesterday (which was equally brutal, for a different reason - heat).  Despite giving up on any hope to PR on the 5-miler since I was overheating, I somehow stuck it out and actually took about a minute off my 5-mile PR!  Goes to show you never know.  Even if your mind gives up, allow your body the chance to keep going and surprise you!

ONE WEEK from today the moving process will formally begin - the movers will begin packing our house up a week from today.  I can't believe May has flown by so quickly!

But before that, I've gotta survive my first tri of the season - a sprint with a notably difficult bike and run course (lots of hills) on Sunday, June 1.  I'm looking forward to racing a tri again, but I'm concerned about my (lack of) bike fitness going into this.  I've been so run and swim-focused (and moving-focused) this year, it's been difficult to fit in enough riding.  We'll see what happens!  I WILL finish, and that's really my only goal right now.

We're getting VERY close to the tri racing season for everyone - let's all get out there and TRAIN!

2008-05-27 10:24 PM

Regular
Chicago

Hi, Its good to hear from everybody!

I had a pretty good weekend here, got some good training and sleeping in so I'm feeling re-charged. 

I did a 30m bike on Sunday (same as Lou's - Bike the Drive) and I also got a couple runs in, one swim and a strength workout. My strength training seems to be getting easier lately, so I think I'm ready to shift it around a bit with some more challenging work.

I've got a sprint tri coming up on June 21st - my first! Until then, I've decided to focus on increasing my swimming distances as that's my weakest point. Next week I'm taking a couple days off to go up to the location to swim that pool and also practice packing my bike in my car. I also need to assemble a tire repair kit in case I need one on the trail, and I'm ramping up the safety/visibility features on my bike trailer so I can more comfortably bike with my daughter to work once per week. Wow, lots to do!

Oh- and next Sunday I'm running my first 10k. (I've only ever done 5ks to this point!) Should be fun as most the others in my running group are also signing up. I've been working up my distance in the running group and finding at the same time how much more fun I have running when I do it with other people! So after this group is done meeting, I'm looking into joining a more long-term group that meets 2x per week. 

All the best to everyone! Keep posting your thoughts/progress here. Its great to see what y'all are up to!

2008-05-28 11:36 AM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

Hello everyone..

Sounds like most of you got in some pretty good trainng this weekend.  Mitch  wasnt it great this weekend..it was nice to finally see the sun!!!!

a well done job on your races ladies!!!

I didnt get in any training this weekend, it was just too crazy.  I did attempt to go out biking on Sat.  got to the park and went down hill...i kept telling the other person who i was with to go a little faster.  i took a look back and they are barley moving.  Ends up that the chain, and a bunch of other parts are hanging off the bike...not good!!  so needless to say we had to walk back to the car ;(

its nice to be able to say that i am going to the gym today!!!  Pretty excited, this will be the first time in about two weeks! I'm sure i wont be able to do a ton of things but i will be goin...very happy.  Especially after all the drinking and eating this weekend! 

I do have to say that i've been looking for a tri to dao in my area and i came up with the idea that i may have to wait till next year.  With this being my first time really swimmimg..meaning laps there is no way that i could pull off over 600 m of swim then a bike and run.  So i thought that i will just stick with training and am hipin' to attend a tri or 2 to get the feel or them, see the trans. from swim to bike and all that good stuff.  Kinda upset about it, but i want to be able to say that i completed it, and not have to walk away with my head down not comppleting it.  So those of you doing them rather soon..you guys rock!!!  i cant wait to hear how you do and all the details!!!

2008-05-28 4:27 PM

Master
Have you thought of doing the Michigan Championship Triathlon at Pontiac Lake Recreation in early September? I started training in July of last year for that race and had a great time. If you have questions about it let me know.
2008-05-28 7:25 PM

Chicago, IL

Greetings from Baltimore! I am on a business trip (attending a marketing conference) until Friday, but I wanted to check in.

Swim class last night went really well. I am starting to love being in the water again. I think once these classes are over I am going to seriously consider continuing classes (even after my triathlon in July).

Other than that, I managed to get a 2.5 mile run in (treadmill) and lifted a few weights at the hotel fitness center. I'm usually pretty good about working out on the road, but my eating habits usually go to crap. I'm trying really hard to get back on track with the diet after a long weekend of eating and drinking. So... we'll see how that goes. 

Also, I'm thinking about paying the $25 to become a bronze member on this site. Have you guys who are paying members finding that it's worth it?

2008-05-28 7:32 PM

Edited by FutureIronGirl17 2008-05-28 7:34 PM
2008-05-28 8:17 PM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
just finished my bike ride and I am not freakin kidding....3 dogs!!!!  one of them chased me twice....once there and once after the turn around...I am just going to start biking with dog treats...so next time they come after me I can give them a treat...better that than my leg

2008-05-28 8:26 PM

2008-05-28 10:36 PM

Regular
Chicago

John- I was at the bike shop Monday and saw a very interesting product that you attach to the back of your bike and it sprays something offensive at dogs who are chasing you. Maybe you need to check that out!

Lou- I recently bought the Bronze membership so that I could start tracking my training plans versus just my actuals. I haven't been good about doing it though, I find it a little clumsy, but maybe I just haven't spent enough time learning how to use the feature.

Jennifer - Congrats at getting back to the gym! 

2008-05-29 7:08 AM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

Marcy,

Thanks for the info...as so as I saw the dogs running after me I started to laugh...I said to myself "the group is not going to believe me"

I think I have a possible new route to ride...I am going to map it out...It might be even better...maybe less cars and hopefully less dogs

2008-05-29 9:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Hi everyone!

Things are continuing to get busier and busier (at home and at work) as I prepare to move, but I'm trying to check in on everyone daily!

Marcy - Good plan to focus on swimming now until your first tri since that's your weakest sport.  Get comfortable with the distance before even worrying about speed.  As long as you've got the endurance, you'll finish the swim.  Along with your tire repair kit, it would be a good idea to also practice changing your tube (if you haven't had to already).  Better to practice it in your own home than when you get your first flat out on the road (or especially during a race!).

Jennifer - Are there any tris at any point anywhere near you that have pool swims?  Those are usually shorter and certainly less intimidating than an OWS.  Also, definitely go watch and/or volunteer at some tris to see how it all works!

Lou - I've been a Bronze member for a year now and I feel it was a good investment.  Gives you access to a lot more training plans and some other functions in your log which have come in handy.  For the price, I also think the silver and gold memberships are very worthwhile too, if you will use the extra features those provide.

John - Definitely time to find a new bike route!!!!

Keep up the great training, everyone!!  No excuses - the weather's nice now in all our areas!

2008-05-29 12:44 PM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

Laura,

I am mapping out the new bike route now Laughing

2008-05-29 3:10 PM

Chicago, IL

John - I have become convinced that you are carrying steak with you on these bike rides. You might want to check your pockets. 

Libby - I had no idea Baltimore was this beautiful... or big for that matter! And the weather is incredible. Of course, I'm stuck inside at a conference, but I'm going to configure some sort of hotel room key carrying device and go for a run around Inner Harbor in about an hour. I can't wait. I mean, it is perfect outside Laughing

Thanks for the info everyone else - I think I will sign up for the bronze.

Hey Marcy, I know you doing swim lessons at Depaul, but have you looked at any of the swim clubs in the area? I'm checking out the Chicago Blue Dolphins online, which is a master's club, but they have lessons for all levels.

2008-05-30 8:49 AM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

Happy Friday everyone!!!

Mitch - I have not heard of the tri.  I will have to do some research on that one.  Is there a site that you know of that has all the tri's for michigan?  And they all seem so far away...2+ hrs any close know that you know of?

Marcy - its hell going back to the gym!!  You take some time off and then go back and it feels like a wall hit you!  I have not been eating good the last few days so I'm excited to get back in the swing of things! 

Laura - thans for the info on a pool tri... i didnt even know they had them!  i will have to look into that.  Mitch had talked about a different tri as well so may i need to do a little more research on them and see what i can find.  I keep finding the same big tris, so i need to see if i see any small ones. 

lou - thats awesome that you dont let travel get i n your way of working out!!  good for you i give you lots of credit. 

Libby - i agree with you... i thought that everyone knew that you didnt carry food around with you when you work out!!  seriously John what in the world are you doing to these dogs?!?  Libby i think you need to take John on a real bike ride and show him what up!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!! 

2008-05-30 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1432818

Master
Try the following link for a calendar of Tri's in Michigan:

http://www.trifind.com/mi.html

The one in Pontiac is probably about a 45 minute drive for you. There are a tone all around the metro area.
2008-05-30 9:23 AM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

Jennifer....you mean to tell me Libby can beat me in a bike ride????  I would kick Libby's butt and she knows it Laughing 

And you wrote to everyone but me Jennifer...what's up with that....well I guess you didn't write to jellogal so I don't feel too bad...if you did and left me out....it will be on between you and me

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnerg1rl7's Group!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 12