BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-01-08 5:30 AM
in reply to: #1857812

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners!

Ray,

Great job on your first nonstop mile run!  Remember how hard you worked to achieve that and how good it felt to accomplish what you did!

I swam last night with a friend.  We did not really do laps, drills or distance.  His goal was to make it fun!  He showed me Triathlon googles and gave me a pair. No leaking and they were soooo comfortable!!!  He walked next to me while I swam and we spent 15 minutes talking about how to breath when swimming!  I know this probably sounds so simple and stupid to so many of you but I had never exhaled under water and never through my nose!  We then swam a smooth and comfortable 200 yards- twice. I was hardly winded because for the first time while swimming, I breathed!  

He gave me confidence that the tri is still 5-6 months away and we were only going to focus on one or two fun things every week or two and then practice and enjoy being comfortable in the water. I am juiced.  The payback is I am training him for the Detroit Marathon in November and get to teach him how to work on a bike and train him fo rhis first century bike ride to Milwaukee and back this coming summer.  

This cross training is so new!  Mentally , I can not get enough. I am following my workout plan.  I think compared to many of you, my workouts are easy.  I run walk 5-8 miles (Galloway run 8 walk 2) three times a week, I swim twice, bike one hour 15 minutes twice and lift weights three times a week.  I watch my diet and am just using January to enjoy this.  I will lose 5 pounds this month.   

For me, having a friend I trust in the pool and reading Total Immersion Swimming has really helped.  I now know I have to breath while I swim!!!!  

Enjoy Thursday!  Time to make a Vocabulary quiz from "A Christmas Carol" for my students...

Daniel

P.S. Ray, you will hear from me when I complete my first nonstop 1000 yard swim!  Great job to you on your first nonstop mile!

2009-01-08 5:39 AM
in reply to: #1894171

Regular
Libertyville, IL

I would love to see your songs for working out!  I live with my iPod and have eclectic playlists for weight lifting and runs from 3 to 10 miles!  I will share too when I have a little more time...

Happy Thursday!

Daniel

2009-01-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1894090

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Swim Drills
Hello Justin and group,
Here are some swim drills per your request. Please feel free to modify them in both time and length as needed. Also feel free to adjust the breaks between. These are just outlines to help you get started.

300 warm up easy
100 catchup (25 easy, 25 faster, 25 faster yet, 25 fastest)
100 easy
100 fist (swim with closed hands. I hated this drill at first but it has really taught me how to dig
in the water and pull myself along)
100 easy
100 left-right (swim 50 with just your left arm, then 50 with just your right arm)
100 easy
4x25 fast
100 easy
300 cool down

Ladders
300 warm up
6x25 fast (15 sec break between)
100 easy
1x300 moderate
100 easy
2x200 moderate
100 easy
3x100 faster
100 easy
300 cool down

I hope this helps. My warm ups I usually spend doing just that but my cool downs I honestly spend refreshing my technique. When I get tired technique gets sloppy. So I spend my last 300 in the pool going very slow and trying to swim well. I want my last thing in the pool to be done correctly. Speed comes later. (For me much later. I got passed by a guy doing the backstroke yesterday :-) )
Scott
2009-01-08 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1891375

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Daniel,
Any advice from the total immersion workouts for the group would be great. I have heard a lot about that technique buut have not been able to afford the tapes yet. Let us know what you think.

Also to everyone,
Way to go after swimming. Knocking this monster down now will boost your confidence a lot. Good for you!!!
2009-01-08 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1894096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
moves327 - 2009-01-07 9:49 PM

Tried one what yet? I am lost. As noted in my blog, milestone I ran/jogged my first mile non-stop. It was slow and could hardly be qualified as a jog, but I did it 24 days in. Kind of ridiculous when I consider how much I used to play sports, but baby steps. Best part is I was tired and sweaty but not wiped I could of went longer, but I had to get back to work. I wanted to go for 2.

Ray,
Congratulations!!! That is awesome. Keep truckin!

A couple of days ago I challenged everyone to try a transition or two and report back how it went. Basically set up a towel with running and biking shoes on it. Get your feet wet then run up to it and try to put on your shoes, maybe change a shirt etc. Transition is a simple way for everyone to knock time off their finish if just practiced. I learned a few things last year from the hard knocks but I thought I would have everyone try it before telling you what I learned.
2009-01-08 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1894171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-01-08 3:25 AM

Unfortunately I have not made it to the pool yet this year. I need to find a better pool than the one at my gym, it's near impossible to get a swim lane. I'm going to get in this weekend though, even if I have to camp out!

Works been crazy this week so I have not been on here much.

How's everyone doing? I have some great songs on my iPod that I'll post later. I generally listen to U2, REM, Green Day, Death Cab for Cutie, INXS...

I would love to share Ipod music ideas. Unfortunately most of mine is from the 80's and is getting rather mundane. I am going to go for a run later then I will bring my ipod in and post what I have. One I love is the latest rocky movie sound track. There is one song that is full of motivational sayings from the movies. One that got me through my last marathon was "It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done." I wanted to quit so bad and this was a good reminder for me. Quit whining and keep moving. Good stuff.

2009-01-08 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1894173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
longrun26 - 2009-01-08 3:30 AM

Ray,

Great job on your first nonstop mile run!  Remember how hard you worked to achieve that and how good it felt to accomplish what you did!

I swam last night with a friend.  We did not really do laps, drills or distance.  His goal was to make it fun!  He showed me Triathlon googles and gave me a pair. No leaking and they were soooo comfortable!!!  He walked next to me while I swam and we spent 15 minutes talking about how to breath when swimming!  I know this probably sounds so simple and stupid to so many of you but I had never exhaled under water and never through my nose!  We then swam a smooth and comfortable 200 yards- twice. I was hardly winded because for the first time while swimming, I breathed!  

He gave me confidence that the tri is still 5-6 months away and we were only going to focus on one or two fun things every week or two and then practice and enjoy being comfortable in the water. I am juiced.  The payback is I am training him for the Detroit Marathon in November and get to teach him how to work on a bike and train him fo rhis first century bike ride to Milwaukee and back this coming summer.  

This cross training is so new!  Mentally , I can not get enough. I am following my workout plan.  I think compared to many of you, my workouts are easy.  I run walk 5-8 miles (Galloway run 8 walk 2) three times a week, I swim twice, bike one hour 15 minutes twice and lift weights three times a week.  I watch my diet and am just using January to enjoy this.  I will lose 5 pounds this month.   

For me, having a friend I trust in the pool and reading Total Immersion Swimming has really helped.  I now know I have to breath while I swim!!!!  

Enjoy Thursday!  Time to make a Vocabulary quiz from "A Christmas Carol" for my students...

Daniel

P.S. Ray, you will hear from me when I complete my first nonstop 1000 yard swim!  Great job to you on your first nonstop mile!

Daniel,
I love hearing how much you enjoy the cross training and how much success you are having. Good for you. It's neat that you have a friend to help you out as well. That is important and also enjoyable. Keep smilin!
2009-01-08 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well here are some songs from my Ipod. Please don't laugh

Kenny Loggins -- I'm Free
Foreigner - Hot blooded
John Waite - Change
Pat Benetar - Shadows of the night
Brandon Heath - Simple man
Journey - Only the young
Moving pictures - Never
Robert Tepper - No easy way out
Scorpions - Rock you like a hurricane
Toto - Hold the line
Montgomery Gentry - Something to be proud of
Rascal Flatts - When the sand runs out
Journey - Don't stop believin'
Sammy Hagar - I can't drive 55

Well there is a list to start. I can't wait for some of your suggestions. This is the same list I started with a year ago.
2009-01-08 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1895328

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
holt1997 - 2009-01-08 2:08 PM

Speed comes later. (For me much later. I got passed by a guy doing the backstroke yesterday :-) )
Scott

Sorry, that made me laugh! Have you ever been passed in a marathon by a guy running the race backwards? I would guess probably not! I have...

Thanks for the drills, I'll give it a try this weekend. I usually just swim freesytle back and forth, no real training plan at all. It gets very boring.
2009-01-08 5:27 PM
in reply to: #1895957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-01-08 2:58 PM

holt1997 - 2009-01-08 2:08 PM

Speed comes later. (For me much later. I got passed by a guy doing the backstroke yesterday :-) )
Scott

Sorry, that made me laugh! Have you ever been passed in a marathon by a guy running the race backwards? I would guess probably not! I have...

Thanks for the drills, I'll give it a try this weekend. I usually just swim freesytle back and forth, no real training plan at all. It gets very boring.

I have never been passed by a person running backwards but I ran a 198 mile relay and got beat by a group of men all ages 70 and over. I was whining about how sore I was until I saw that. Then I just shut up, put my tail between my legs and went home.
2009-01-08 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1894173

User image

Veteran
Belleville
longrun26 - 2009-01-08 6:30 AM

Ray,

Daniel

Cool! I hope I do. My 1000 yard swims were 90% breaststroke, so not sure that counts. I have backed off and am focusing more on drills. Freestyle, I am wiped after 50 to 100 yards. Baby steps, lol.

2009-01-08 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1895351

User image

Veteran
Belleville

A couple of days ago I challenged everyone to try a transition or two and report back how it went. Basically set up a towel with running and biking shoes on it. Get your feet wet then run up to it and try to put on your shoes, maybe change a shirt etc. Transition is a simple way for everyone to knock time off their finish if just practiced. I learned a few things last year from the hard knocks but I thought I would have everyone try it before telling you what I learned.

I think I do this everyday trting to get to the gym. I just need to time myself! Cool

Actually, not a bad idea, put that on my todos.

2009-01-09 12:14 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Swimming drills and Transitions

Hello Everyone,

Scott, thanks for the swimming drills, my son (David) and I will be going to a pool more often , hopefully starting next week.

I have just been tying to get into the discipline of training for  an hour a day 6 days a week. What I would like to to know is:

A) When is the best time to train am or pm , or is this in individual thing?

B) When doing 2 disciplines a day, eg swimming and running, should they be done one after the other or one in the morning and one in the evening?

Any ideas and experiences?

I have tried the change over from bike to running and found that I took too much time changing my HRM from bike mode to run mode, I need to practice this a lot more . 

2009-01-09 3:27 AM
in reply to: #1896738

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Good morning!

Justin, you asked great questions on the best time to workout and if it is OK to split workouts.  I know the ideal would be for me to workout out every morning and practice real transitions between workouts.  My friend is a full time stay at home dad. He puts in two hours a day with workouts.  On the other hand, I am up at three in the morning to e-mail, grade student essays, lift weights for 45 minutes and make it to work on time.  I split my workout and will swim this evening after work.  Unfortunately, that is my reality.  I still enjoy my workout but often they are split.

I just read in the paper that diet beat exercise in weight loss 80% of the time.  While the study is controversial, there is evidence that diet is so critical to weight loss but exercise needs to be incorporated.  In fact, Body for Life, states that 80% of the weight loss comes from diet.  I know many of us are trying to loss weight.  I try to eat six smaller meals a day - every three hours. The more I exercise the more I crave food.  My goal is to be healthy and lose 40 pounds - I turn 50 this year!!!  I am incorporating lifestyle changes and many of the drills that I read about for workouts are simply beyond what I can do at the moment.  I try to stay within myself and enjoy the journey.  I will get to my destination eventually.

P.S.  One of my tris (Door County, WI) opened up registration.  I signed up.  We have a home up on the peninsula.  I was shocked to find out it was really filling up!  My point is this... many of my spring runs (the 8Ks, 10 milers and half marathons) are open for registration but filling up fast. Last year I signed up to run Chicago Marathon the beginning of April.  Registration closed a week later - and there were 45,000 entrants.  I would really start looking at the calendar early for events...

Daniel

2009-01-09 4:15 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Music
Scott - you need to update your music list!

Some of my favorite songs -

Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers
I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor - Arctic Monkeys
Steady As She Goes - The Racounteurs
Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie
**Little Sister - Queens of the Stone Age
**Miss Murder - AFI
False Alarm - Sloan
**Anna Molly - Incubus
**Face Down - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
**Save Me - Shinedown
Joey - Concrete Blonde
Flathead - The Fratellis
**The Saints Are Coming (Live New Orleans Version) - Green Day & U2
**A Million Miles Away - The Plimsouls
**C'mon C'mon - The Von Bondies

The ones with ** are my "pick up the pace power songs". I can be dead tired but if one of those songs come on I take off.

This list is very outdated, I need to update soon. I love to browse on iTunes, and look up songs that I like, and then see what songs other people who bought that song also bought. I find a lot of cool groups I have never heard of that way.
2009-01-09 4:22 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Transition
I have not practiced since my last race. But I have considerably cut down my transition time by -

skipping gloves on the bike

having shoes already tied and all I have to do is cram my foot in

having every item place in order of necessity and ready to go such as bike helmet upside down with straps laying over side

sunglasses with arms opened up and in my helmet so I can grab them then the helmet

socks apart and in each shoe (I'm debating on skipping socks for a sprint distance to see if my feel hold up, socks take the longest for me and I see lots of people not bothering)

bike shoes opened up as far as possible and ready for foot

tank top placed face down with the bottom of the back side ready to grab and toss on

Most of this I learned by doing a couple of races, but also observing others that were setting up before the race. I noticed how everyone had everything in the order that they needed it, and every item was placed ready to put on and in the quickest way possible. If I do all that I can cut my time in half, but I'm still not that speedy.

2009-01-09 11:25 AM

Regular
Hi folks,
Scott and I were in the same mentor group last year, and he said it was okay to join in this one. I hope no one minds. I have been reading all of your posts for awhile even though I haven't been participating in the conversations.

I am a 42 year old woman. I am married and have 2 teenage boys. I love cycling...not competitive, just riding. I have ridden my bike across my state, and I rarely pass up a chance to ride. I have a road bike as well as a mountain bike for trail use. I ride with many different goups and individuals, and I rarely ride alone. My husband had a heart attack 5 years ago. We believe the reason he is alive is because he had been exercising for months before his arteries clogged. Exercise is not an option for him, it is a necessity. Lucky for me, I love exercising, and it gives us time to spend together.

A year ago, my husband and I decided to add running to our exercise program. We signed up for a Spring duathlon to insure that we kept up with the training. When I first started, I HATED running. After many months of practice/repitition and baby steps, I learned how to enjoy running. The duathlon went well for us (we completed it without stopping, throwing up, or being disqualified). Our goals were met plus we started bike season in great shape.

I will run my first (and probably last) marathon in a week (PF Changs Rock n Roll Marathon in Phoenix). I will not be fast....Daniel 4 1/2 hours is blazing fast compared to me. I hope to finish in 5 hours. However, since it is my first marathon, just finishing will be a success for me. (I am doing the Galloway plan).

Enough background. I am joining this group because we have once again signed up for the same Spring duathlon. My original goal was to just better my time from last year. However, my brother is coming to town to compete with us, and I really want to beat him. It may not be possible to beat him, but I won't mind losing if I give it my best shot.

Cole
2009-01-09 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1897566

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Welcome Cole!

That's so great your doing a marathon. Trust me, it won't be your last! Crossing the finish line is so incredible, you'll start looking at which one you're going to do next!

I think it's great you have a goal to beat your brother for the Duathlon. You can do it!! Is he training much, or just planning on showing up?
2009-01-09 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1898641

Regular
He is coming to "kick my sissy butt." He is training with an enthusiasm that only competition can fuel. He has less experience (never done a duathlon) but much more natural talent. He has a few pounds that he could lose that would really help him, and I imagine that weight will be off (mainly due to training) the next time I see him. I am enjoying the competition; It gives us something in common.
2009-01-09 6:01 PM
in reply to: #1896790

User image

Veteran
Belleville

My work is ramping up also, so it has forced me to work around a bit, but I do get my workouts in all at once. On a side note, I am down 21 lbs now! Jogged(if you can call it that) my first mile non-stop.

And Scott is supercool, so it does not suprise me all these people want to be in his group. Although I may have to go get my 80's CD's out now and jam some Billy Squier in honor of that totally radical playlist! Probably watch Vision Quest too.

2009-01-09 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1897566

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Cole,

I ran the first PF Chang's Marathon when it started up a few years ago!  You will love the expo and eat at Changes beforehand!  It is filled with runners, the menu is modified for carbo loads and it is just FUN!

The expo is great.  My wife and I always buy the race posters at the marathon, have the artist sign them and they are hanging all over our basement - a great memory!!!  Enjoy.  Two of my closest friends are running their first marathon with you at that race.    

Just finished a fun swim!  It is so nice to breath and swim!!!  I exhale through my nose underwater now!!!  A friend and I played tag for our laps.  He swam a length and when he hit the far wall I took off after him.  When I hit the wall by him he took off - and on and on. What a workout!!!!

We have snow here in Chicago and much more coming tomorrow.  I have 10 friends meeting at my house to play and run 8 miles in the morning.  We are nuts at times like this...  

Time for Thai food!!!  i am looking into my first tattoo this weekend.  A running guy on the inside of my right foot!!!  YIPPEE!!!

Enjoy your Friday nights!

Daniel

2009-01-09 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I love Billy Squier music....nuff said!
2009-01-09 8:06 PM
in reply to: #1898641

User image

Veteran
Belleville, MI
Well wish me luck.  I get to do my first marathon this week-end (Disney).  Hope I feel the way you mention, I got a feeling I'm in for some pain......
2009-01-09 8:09 PM
in reply to: #1898901

Regular
bbarr66 - 2009-01-09 9:06 PM

Well wish me luck.  I get to do my first marathon this week-end (Disney).  Hope I feel the way you mention, I got a feeling I'm in for some pain......

I wish you much luck! Please give me pointers when you return!!!
2009-01-09 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1898901

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
bbarr66 - 2009-01-09 6:06 PM

Brian You are going to be awesome!!! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you and what you think. I'll be thinking about you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  

of 19