BT Development Mentor Program Archives » southwestmba's group - full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-03-15 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1884401

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: southwestmba's group - full

Good luck too! I've been neglecting the board a bit but not the workouts.  I am heading to London this week for 3 days and the Triathlon training is starting to weigh on my travel decisions. Rather than stay an extra day in London, I am grabbing an early flight Thursday so I can get home and hit the pool thursday night. 

The weather is starting to get warmer and the kids and wife are making fun of me because I hve not taken the bike outside yet...I have been doing some good workouts indoors and the bike Computer shows my milage is really getting up there.  I told them I'll only bring it outside when the weather is 65 and sunny....

2009-03-15 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Thanks for the kind wishes guys.  Just got back from the race, no idea what my time was exactly, but  think just over 3 hrs.  Up @ 4:30 AM, tired from racing but it's my wife that just went to take a nap!  SHe musta got tired watching me.  I'll do a race report and will have more to post later. 
2009-03-15 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Good job on the race. Sound like every thing went pretty well. Hope to see the race report soon.
2009-03-16 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL

In short I think the I gave the race my best effort, but I didn't even come close to my 3 hour goal time.  Worst swim in my group, but honestly I expected that.  Bike was good and the run was surprisingly bad.  Had blister problems and dead legs down the stretch.  I think I ran 3 miles before I passed one person but was passed by literally hundreds.  

The glass half full is that in the 6 months since I started tri training I've made noticeable improvements in overall fitness and dropped 15 pounds or so.  I'll let this race soak in for a bit and figure out what I want to do for the rest of the season.  Having a race in mind is good for motivation.  

Race report here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150443&posts=1&start=1

2009-03-16 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Oh, I should also congratulate my buddy Jim who made 7th in Clydes, and his step-son Max who at 15 was the youngest competitor in the race. Having a couple race buddies made the event more fun.
2009-03-16 7:58 PM

User image

Regular
Congrats! Must be awesome to be able to have a race so early in the year, I think we're 6-8 weeks away here.

2009-03-20 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
So guys, who has a race planned?
2009-03-21 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
How's everyone doing this week. Sorry I've be a little slack in my mentor duties the last few weeks. Well Pete, did a great job last weekend at the Miami International Tri. To give you a little perspective you beat my first Olympic time by over 2 minutes. So good job. I didn't break 3 hours in an Olympic untill my 3rd try. Take it easy for a week and enjoy.

I can't wait to get my race season kicked off, but i won't be doing a tri until May 31, the Black Bear HIM. I do hope to do a few road races in April, the Pottstown YMCA Spirng Forward 5K April 4th (I actually got 2nd in my age group in 2007) and the Revolutionary Run in Valley Forge National Park April 18th, a 5 miler. But I am doing back to back HIMs with the Black Bear May 31 and the Rev3 Tri in Middletown Ct on June 7th.

If anyone would like to do a really cool race (The Rev3. Tri) with a huge pro field and a very family friendly environment (Starts and finishes in a Theme Park). Plus my sponsor for this year (Trakkers) is a sponsor of the race and will be introducing and demoing their product, a GPS trakking unit which allows helps the athete track their workouts and allows the athlete's family track the progress of their athlete real time to help support them in a race or see "how much longer til daddy gets home from his bike ride." If anyone is interested I can get you a $10 discount on the entrance fee thanks to my sponsor. If you are interested send me an e-mail/PM/Inspire and I'll get you the discount code.

Enjoy march maddness, Go Villanova!!!

BTW Spring is here, Rita's Water Ice gave out free water ice just like every year on the first day of spring yesterday. 45 min freezing our butts of in line.
2009-03-21 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2031847

New user

Yes, I remember going to Rita's the first day of Spring when I lived in Carlisle. Easy to get hooked on that stuff.

First tri won't be until June around here due to the water temperature (only a 3 month season), so I am thinking of doing a running race in May once the air is more suitable for my lungs.

2009-03-21 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2031847

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL

But I am doing back to back HIMs with the Black Bear May 31 and the Rev3 Tri in Middletown Ct on June 7th.

Wow!  Have you ever done something like that before?  Do you do anything at all between races?  Or just rest that whole week?

2009-03-22 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I have never done 2 HIM back to back weeks but I have done 2 sprints and an Olympic in 3 weeks and did a sprint, a HIM, and a Half Marathon in consecutive weeks before. When I do things like this I tend to treat the races more like a training session with a T-shirt and refreshments. I won't go full out, but rather chose a leg to focus on (bike or run) and just try and go smooth and steady for the rest. I try to be smart in between, I'll cut the milage down (usually minimal running to save my knees, but biking and swimming is fine), since I'll get a ton of work those weekends. Surprisingly, my body tends to bounce back easier from a HIM then it does from a stand alone half marathon (now a full IM is another story entirely), so after taking it easy a day or two my legs are feeling pretty good.

I'm not looking to set any huge PRs during these back to back HIMs but rather prepare myself for a hilly IM in Enland this August.

Was starting to feel run down last week but the nice weather this week and Villanova stomping UCLA Saturday has revived me and I felt great on my ride today. I was smart enough to listen to my body and sleep in this morning and push my ride back to tonight. Sleep is the best medicine for a tired body.

Have fun

2009-03-30 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Wow, what a hectic week! I had to drive to Plymouth MA (6+ hours), set up and execute a public meeting and then drive home 6+ hours so I could watch the kids the next day as my wife headed out to LA for a convention. Thursday turned into a 26 hours straight without sleep and then I was so wired on Red Bull and coffee, I couldn't sleep most of Friday until I finally crashed (when the NCAA tourney came on). Spent the weekend on kid duty and not on tri training but I still got a few quick workouts in around the madness.
So how is everyone doing? I get a "race" this weekend. A local 5K (which sort of sucks since I'll likely have to do another workout and/or run the course a second time to get my milage in). Would like to see if I can beat my "PR" of 21:20 which I did in this race two years ago. (It is my "PR" because back in the day (high School prior to a 14 year layoff and 100+ pounds) I ran a 15:58. Either way it should be fun.

Keep with it and How about those Villanova Wildcats!
2009-04-04 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Well I finally broke the ice and got a race in this year. A very cold and windy day but we had a record turnout for the event. This was a fun little 5k with about 200 folks participating for the Pottstown YMCA. I set my PR here 2 years ago and got 2nd in my AG that year(20th OA). Well this year I just didn't feel right and probably didn't warm up enough and got off to a very slow start. I picked it up as I went along and had a good run but the start was the only tailwind section and the longest section was right upwind, so the time was slower but I finished 23 OA and 4th in my AG (fastest person not to get an award) with a larger field than 2 years ago.

Had a good week alot of shorter but more intense runs and some long bikes on the trainer highlighed by a 41.8 miles ride Wendesday night. Hope you all are doing well.

Go Villanova!!!
2009-04-06 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Nice race!  Way to go!

Well while you guys are finally able to get out of the house and hit the road, it's getting so I want to stay inside down here.  Should be 90 degrees today.  Usually I train around 8AM and it's gone from being comfortable to downright hot.  I think I'm gonna have to get more pre-dawn starts or find ways to train at the gym. 
2009-04-09 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2062763

User image

Regular
Great job on the race, still a bit early for me! Haven't been around much but I have been training and am happy to report I took the bike OUTSIDE today!! 13.5 miles, and I didn't fall over!! Tough little wind so I am getting good at the tuck position with the aerobars, and the hills were a good challenge.  

Since I was away last week I am trying to double down a bit, not over training. My wife has her half coming up in 3 weeks so she's training pretty hard too, and then there's the Holidays! A little extra work allows me to have that extra glass of vino...Smile

Anyway glad to see everyone getting ready for the season! 
2009-04-09 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Awesome. Clipless pedals are great for races where you only clip in and out once, but on a road ride where you have to do it at stop lights, etc it is a challenge until it become second nature. I am glad to finally be able to get outside too and get a race in. now i just have to wait another month + to put it all together in a tri.

2009-04-16 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Hey guys.  Is it warming up yet for you guys up North?  Weather's been good here, but it does get pretty hot from about 9AM until the sun goes down.  We've been getting out for rides @ 5:30 AM to avoid getting caught up in the heat.

I've got a 5K Saturday AM but I'm hedging a bit because of my feet.  I blistered badly at my race a month ago and pretty much every time I run I aggravate it a bit.  I did a treadmill 5K the other day and ended up running the home stretch in socks 'cause my feet were hurting.   I've been reading about shoeless running lately and I'd give it a try just to avoid the blistering issue.  I'm only half serious since I'm not sure how great an idea that would be for a guy my size.
2009-04-18 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Just got back from the 5K and the glass half full perspective is that I was better than 30 minutes.  My legs hurt and my feet blistered again.  I didn't have any blistering issues until MIT last month and now it seems like it only takes 2 miles before my feet hurt.  Now I'm starting to think it's the speed laces I switched to before my oli, but I ran a 10K with the speed laces before that tri with no issues, so I can't be sure.  I did meet some folks from a new running store that opened up recently and they're just 20 minutes away.  They say they do gait analysis & the whole nine yards, so I think I might shoot over there Sunday and see if I can get some solutions.

Tomorrow is a 50+ miler on the bike.  I'm riding with a buddy down to Boca Raton to sweat the FAU sprint and then we'll ride back.  My wife gets really psyched when I hit the sack at 9:30 on a Sat nite so I can get rolling at 5AM the next day.  Not.
2009-05-19 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2093581

User image

Regular
Hey guys! Long time, but still pushing on training. I have my FIRST TRI coming up on May 31, doc and sok Sprint.  I am a little worried about the water temp, but it's only 1/3 of a mile for the swim so I fugure the cold will just motivate me to swim faster.  MY pool is open too, so I am looking forward to training in my own backyard.  My pool guy gave me a great suggestion to turn the return jets on only in one area of the pool and swim towards that, I'll try it this wekend.

Any suggestions on tapering? I have 12 days but the weather is getting warmer and I want get some longer runs in....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » southwestmba's group - full Rss Feed  

of 6