BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-04-14 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2083733

User image

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)
steph94483 - 2009-04-14 2:04 PM I can not drag myself out of bed early enough to work out. I have a husband and three cats that hold me down and won't let me out of bed until I'm already five minutes late.

Cuddos to those that have that kind of will power. I hope that when it warms up, it won't be so daunting to get out of my warm haven.

I used to get up early to workout before kids...now once the babysitter arrives, I head to the gym or to work; if I don't go to gym in morning, I swim at lunchtime.  It gets kind of hectic, but I can't work out late, and after work is kid time!! (which sort of can be a workout in itself sometimes!!!)

Weekends, I try to do walks/rides when the boys sleep or take them with us...

2009-04-14 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2083808

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
How does the swim at lunch work out? I have long hair and there is no way I can get in a workout, show, get dressed and get back to work in one hour. And, I'm not committed enough to chop the hair off.  Smile
2009-04-14 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2083761

amkaz - 2009-04-14 2:12 PM
steph94483 - 2009-04-14 1:04 PM I can not drag myself out of bed early enough to work out. I have a husband and three cats that hold me down and won't let me out of bed until I'm already five minutes late.

Cuddos to those that have that kind of will power. I hope that when it warms up, it won't be so daunting to get out of my warm haven.

LOL, that sounds CUTE!  I had to work hard at being able to get up in the AM.  I can't work out at night.  Maybe someday when I don't come home so emotionally drained I will change to a night workout person.  At my old job I could take 2-3 hours at lunch and work later, and then I worked out in the middle of the day, but I can't do that now.  So with the realization that I would either not work out, stay disgusted with myself and beat myself up each day for not having the energy to do it after work.  The first month was utter and complete hell.  This AM I woke up at 4 before my alarm.  Now I am past the utter hell part.  LOL. 

I give Kudos to all of you who can actually get yourself to do anything after 5 PM.  I battle the COUCH and TIVO demons then!  Trust me if I could get myself to work out a night I would be in bed until 6:30 AM everyday! 

Eek, sounds rough. I will sometimes work out twice a day - once in the morning and once at night, if I have to. My tri team has workouts in both the morning and the evening, and I was accustomed to pulling two-a-days previously anyway. Once it becomes part of your routine, it's not so bad. It's getting it into your routine that can be rough. I go home, change quickly and go to run or whatever. Then I come home, eat dinner and treat myself to something on DVR. Tonight, I have to go home and spin on the trainer (rainy and gross outside) and then hit swim practice, so I will eat in between, since the swim is late enough. Then I will come home and watch the recorded episode of Fringe

2009-04-14 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Regular
Stephanie... I had short hair when I swam at lunch, so I would not do that now unless I had lots of time.

Chrissy-  I totally want to buy a trainer.  The sis-in-law and bro have one and I dig it big time.  I would trade spinning then so I wouldnt go from feeling great about myself at spin class then riding my bike and feeling like super wimp!

Cool
2009-04-14 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2083834

amkaz - 2009-04-14 2:29 PM Stephanie... I had short hair when I swam at lunch, so I would not do that now unless I had lots of time.

Chrissy-  I totally want to buy a trainer.  The sis-in-law and bro have one and I dig it big time.  I would trade spinning then so I wouldnt go from feeling great about myself at spin class then riding my bike and feeling like super wimp!

Cool

The trainer is SUPER-boring, if you don't at least put on music or the TV, or a movie. My tri team actually rents space during the winter, so we can all ride our trainers together - it's more interesting and our coach can wander around and look at our technique or yell at us if we're slacking However, it's a better workout than spin class, in terms of actual cycling muscles. Spin class is a good cardio workout and somewhat useful in teaching you what a high cadence feels like. But riding the trainer will make you much stronger. Though I do know some roadies who like spin class in the winter, merely for conditioning - but they also ride outside on the weekends in the winter.

I got my trainer from Nashbar.com - their own brand fluid trainer - used a coupon code, and paid maybe $100 for it.

2009-04-14 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2083822

User image

steph94483 - 2009-04-14 2:25 PM How does the swim at lunch work out? I have long hair and there is no way I can get in a workout, show, get dressed and get back to work in one hour. And, I'm not committed enough to chop the hair off.  Smile

I have hair that goes just below my shoulders, and what I do is shower fast, then I usually just twist it up with a clip, or do a bun; then I don't have to dry it...Round trip, I am usually just a bit over an hour, but if I really had to push it, I think I could do an hour...sometimes I think about chopping all my hair off; when I was in college I had it super short at times, like around an inch long!!  I think my husband would be a little upset if I did that!!!  He likes longer, but one day I may just surprise him!!!

2009-04-14 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
I am on the opposite end of the spectrum for workout times. I would much rather spend the extra hour or so in bed in the morning and workout at night. I agree that the couch can sometimes be a tough competitor, but I usually won't even let myself sit down if I know I am planning to train.
2009-04-14 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2084170

JJackson07 - 2009-04-14 4:15 PM I am on the opposite end of the spectrum for workout times. I would much rather spend the extra hour or so in bed in the morning and workout at night. I agree that the couch can sometimes be a tough competitor, but I usually won't even let myself sit down if I know I am planning to train.

Hey, self-bribery works sometimes. If you say "I can watch such-and-such show AFTER I've done my workout", you might be motivated

2009-04-14 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
<went swimming, wil post some more when hes had a shower and cleaned up etc
2009-04-14 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2083582

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
i know that we all have different life\home\work committments so for me it is do it early, and be consistent with it. i have grown to like getting up early to knock out a run or swim. spring\summer allow me to take advantage of first light after 5am for a great bike ride. i have tried bike rides in the dark but it didn't work for me. the only rule at home for the weekends is be home by 9:30-10am. we just need to find what works for each one of us, and have fun.
2009-04-14 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2084581

wplummer - 2009-04-14 6:37 PM i know that we all have different life\home\work committments so for me it is do it early, and be consistent with it. i have grown to like getting up early to knock out a run or swim. spring\summer allow me to take advantage of first light after 5am for a great bike ride. i have tried bike rides in the dark but it didn't work for me. the only rule at home for the weekends is be home by 9:30-10am. we just need to find what works for each one of us, and have fun.

Yup, do whatever works for you and your family, as long as you're out there doing it I'm single, so I don't feel bad about telling friends "no" to an invitation if I have an important workout (esp if it's last minute). Most of my friends are triathletes and understand, and most of my non-triathlete friends at least expect me to be lame and show up and not drink or leave early, or whatever But if you've got other people you have ot be accountable for, just do whatever you've got to do to make everyone happy. This sport is really easy to become obsessed about, I think, and it demands a lot of your time, esp. if you decide to do the longer distances. An Ironman is something that needs to be discussed with loved ones before entering, I think - if they're not on board with your goals, it could get ugly. At least, that's what most folks on the site say, since I've never actually done an IM. But I look at myself now and I see where I am and I know where'd I'd need to be for certain distances, and I know how much of a commitment it would require.

2009-04-14 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
I just want to get to the stage where i'm happy with my fitness and can maintain it. I know i'll always have the backing of my family.

ps
wurkit come in BTCHat
2009-04-15 7:04 AM

User image

Hello everyone!!!  Hope you're all having a good start to your day!  Do any of you know how to add people as a friend??  Thanks!  I'm off to work, then will swim at lunch...
2009-04-15 8:11 AM

User image

New user

Universal City, Texas
Good morning all.  Sorry I have been out of pocket lately.  April is a very busy month for me...it seems like I have been on the road more than at home Undecided.  It looks like everyone is doing excellent with their workouts.  I am having a light week since I will be having a physical fitness test this weekend. 

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Adam
2009-04-15 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone!

I can't figure out how to add friends either.  AND I spent 2 hours Saturday logging my training plan up to my first tri, and when I click IMPORT, I get a screen that says I can impoirt it into my planned training: You can import this training plan into your "Planned training" calendar.
This will overwrite any data that is entered for those days,
but this will not affect any of your normal log entries."
But I only get a button that says IMPORT INTO ACTUAL TRAINING which is not what I want to do.  I tried clicking that and it said I couldn't import data for future dates, which makes sense, I haven't done it yet.  Should I just import a BT training plan and adjust it somehow??

Also I bit the bullet and joined a Masters Swimming program from now to 5/14 (shake in shoes) that works out Monday and Thursday nights 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM.  YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I did it.  SOO.... I will report on Friday about how DEAD I am from Thursday night.  They do 2K-3K yards a night, and I haven't passed 750 in about 3 years so this oughta be interesting.

I hope you all have a super awesome day and get all you want to accomplish done to your satisfaction.
Tongue out
2009-04-15 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2085519

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
amkaz - 2009-04-15 8:24 AM Hi everyone!

Also I bit the bullet and joined a Masters Swimming program from now to 5/14 (shake in shoes) that works out Monday and Thursday nights 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM.  YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I did it.  SOO.... I will report on Friday about how DEAD I am from Thursday night.  They do 2K-3K yards a night, and I haven't passed 750 in about 3 years so this oughta be interesting.

I hope you all have a super awesome day and get all you want to accomplish done to your satisfaction.
Tongue out

Yeah, Amy! Good luck. I haven't worked up enough nerve for a masters class...yet.  I hope it goes well.

2009-04-15 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2085476

payneadam - 2009-04-15 9:11 AM Good morning all.  Sorry I have been out of pocket lately.  April is a very busy month for me...it seems like I have been on the road more than at home Undecided.  It looks like everyone is doing excellent with their workouts.  I am having a light week since I will be having a physical fitness test this weekend. 

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Adam

No worries - just get through your test this week - sometimes tri training has to take a backseat to life, and that's all right

2009-04-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2085519

amkaz - 2009-04-15 9:24 AM Hi everyone!

I can't figure out how to add friends either.  AND I spent 2 hours Saturday logging my training plan up to my first tri, and when I click IMPORT, I get a screen that says I can impoirt it into my planned training: You can import this training plan into your "Planned training" calendar.
This will overwrite any data that is entered for those days,
but this will not affect any of your normal log entries."
But I only get a button that says IMPORT INTO ACTUAL TRAINING which is not what I want to do.  I tried clicking that and it said I couldn't import data for future dates, which makes sense, I haven't done it yet.  Should I just import a BT training plan and adjust it somehow??

Tongue out

Adding friends is easy. If you go under "settings", go to the tab that is called "Training Blog" - there is a "friends" tab, where you have 60 fields for friends' names. You can either type in the name of each friend in a separate field, or next to each field, there is a box with 3 dots in it - you can click on that and search for usernames, if you are not sure of the exact spelling. Then just make sure to save it by hitting the button at the bottom of the screen (can't remember if it's 'save' or 'update', but it's pretty obvious).

Not sure what to say about the training plan import. I create my own as well, and I haven't had any problems - I'd have to take a look at it again.

That's awesome about the Master's team - hopefully you'll get a lot out of it! You'll be back in the swing of things doing that much yardage in no time. It's fun to train with others - I swim a lot faster in a lane full of people

2009-04-15 10:01 AM

User image

Whoa Amy!!! You are one motivated girl!!  Spinning and now Master's Swim!!!  Good for you!  I'm just hoping to get a little 20 minute lesson next week!!

I'm off to add friends!!  See ya!!
2009-04-15 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
I have toyed with joining the masters swim at my pool, but it is early in the morning (5:30) and I am still not confident enough to do it. Tell us how it goes.
2009-04-15 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2085866

JJackson07 - 2009-04-15 11:09 AM I have toyed with joining the masters swim at my pool, but it is early in the morning (5:30) and I am still not confident enough to do it. Tell us how it goes.

It depends on the Masters group. Some are geared towards all levels, and some are made up solely of former D1 collegiate swimmers. Some groups will let you swim with them once to check them out. Though many Masters groups are not really like "lessons", as they assume a certain level of proficiency. If you are a particularly weak swimmer, a session of group swim lessons would be more beneficial - or something like my tri club, where we have all levels of ability and the fastest of the fast can handle things themselves with occasional watching and tweaking from the coaches, and the slowest of the slow can get small group instruction.

2009-04-15 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
i do have to admit that when my daughter asked me to take her to school this morning dad cant say no. so no training this morning, but the smile on my daughters face is priceless.
2009-04-15 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
heya guys
couple of questions

today i did a bike ride and i got back and my lower chest/stomach area was quite sore. was no futher than i normally cycle .
Had plenty to drink but hadn't eaten for 6 1/2 hours before hand i'm wondering if thats why ?
2009-04-15 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2086000

wplummer - 2009-04-15 11:54 AM i do have to admit that when my daughter asked me to take her to school this morning dad cant say no. so no training this morning, but the smile on my daughters face is priceless.
Aw, cute I will forgive you this time

Hey mentees, is there anything in particular that you'd like to know more about, in relation to triathlon? Any specific topics you want to discuss/chat about/share? Toss some stuff out, if you want - I feel like I need to be doing more to support the group, but I welcome ideas from you all

2009-04-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2086473

SteveyD - 2009-04-15 2:11 PM heya guys
couple of questions

today i did a bike ride and i got back and my lower chest/stomach area was quite sore. was no futher than i normally cycle .
Had plenty to drink but hadn't eaten for 6 1/2 hours before hand i'm wondering if thats why ?

How was your stomach sore? Like the muscles themselves hurt? Or was it a "sick" kind of feeling? I think of sore as related to muscular fatigue.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29