2009-04-28 3:49 AM
in reply to: #2111194

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's group CLOSED
boxer - 2009-04-26 5:12 PM David,
Got a few questions regarding swim training
- Do you recommend training in open water (ocean/lake/river)
- What's a good technique for training in the ocean?
- How long should be these sessions?
- Finally, should I get a wetsuit or is that something I can skip for now?
Thanks

PS: Question open for anybody willing to help this rockie.........

Great questions.

If you have open water near you, go for it. Since most races have OWS (open water swims), the more practice you have out there, the more comfortable you'll be in a race. However, most of my swimming is done in the pool, as that's all I've got.

Length/volume/technique depend on how good of a swimmer you are and how long of a race you are doing. Google "total immersion swimming" and see what you find. You should also take a look at the articles on this site. Ultimately, I'd try to swim whatever distance you're going to swim in your race, but do not -- do not -- just go out there and try to do that if you have little open water experience. Trust me, there's a big difference between swimming in a pool and swimming in a large body of water that has waves, current, things growing and swimming in it, and visibility so poor that you can't see the fingers on your outstretched hand. Start out small and slow and build.

Wetsuits depend on the temperature of the water on race day. At either 76 or 78, they're banned. They do provide buoyancy, but I've found they also limit the reach of my stroke.

So if you're doing a cool water swim, you need a wetsuit. If your water is going to be in the 70s, you don't.

2009-04-28 4:01 AM
in reply to: #2099070

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
prof40 - 2009-04-21 5:41 AM
gplitt - 2009-04-20 11:58 PM

Sprint triathlon on April 26:

Conservative estimate:
S 400 yards: 6:00
T1: 1:30
B 10 miles: 35:00
T2: 1:30
R 2.5 miles: 21:30
Total: 1:05:30

Amazing race estimate:
S 400 yards: 5:40
T1: 1:15
B 10 miles: 30:00
T2: 1:00
R 2.5 miles: 20:00
Total: 57:55

Personal goal:
Finish the race strong and happy with no regrets, spend a great morning at a race with my mom, and still make it home in time so I can enjoy a sunny Sunday afternoon with my wife. Feel good if I hit my 'conservative' estimate, but feel downright awesome if I hit my 'amazing' times.

Well, the results are up, and while I beat my conservative goals, I missed my "amazing" ones by 2 1/2 minutes. I just didn't have the legs for the run, which means I'm going to have to start doing more bike/run bricks to get my body used to the strain.

It also means I'm going to start doing some speed work.

However, I did finish the race happy, spent a great morning with family, got a nice tan, and had a good afternoon with my wife, despite my tentative hobbling. I bashed my ankles during the race against the pool wall so I was a bit tender with every step Sunday night.

But I probably was not as tender as some of you long-distance cyclists were feeling! Anyone wake up Monday and have trouble getting in and out of their car because their legs were so sore?
2009-04-28 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2070143

User image

Regular
Vancouver
David, or others, I have a question.

I have been training since mid February (10 or 11 weeks) pretty much 6 days a week. In my last 6 weeks I've been averaging about 10 hours a week. I was doing very little for 6 months before I started my training, so this has been quite an increase. My last two workouts have been lousy, a treadmill run yesterday and a swim this morning, and I feel tired, sore and spent. As the AP coordinator and an AP teacher at my school, this is my hardest month of the year at work (AP tests start next week), so that adds a lot of stress. I'm not sleeping well at all.

Should I take a couple days off, or will that hurt my training goals? I'm worried about losing ground--but can one gain ground by taking strategic time off? I'm 14 weeks out from my primary race, and 6 weeks from my Olympic.

Edited by gplitt 2009-04-28 9:26 AM
2009-04-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2114635

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot David,
I'm in Savannah, not far from Tybee Island, so I should be able to go for some OWSs.
Water temp right now is 71 but I think it will get warmer pretty soon. I guess I will just swimm along the beach, I wouldn't get to far from the shore. (Jaws hangs out there some whreSealed)

I was doing some drills at the pool and between that and the aerobars I think I messed my back a little.  That hasn't sotoped me, just going a bit easier.  Today I'll go to the pool and just swim, shooting for 2500 yds, we'll see....
Like I already told Krystyna, I guess I'll wait a bit on the wetsuit.  They are kind of pricy anyway, ..........

It's official now, I'm registered for my FIRST EVER TRIATHLON!!! It's pretty exiting. 

http://savannahtriathlon.com/registration_sprint_tri_series_2009

This weekend I'll try to do my first brick.
What distances should I aim for? 

Thanks again!
Jaime
2009-04-28 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2114636

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong

Congrats David!
I guess you accomplished the two main goals: "finished" and didn't get injured!!! (Sorry about your ankles)

2 1/2 minutes............ c’mon!!!! Those times are already amazing!!! I almost forgot of another goal you accomplished. Most important, YOU HAD A BLAST!!!!

I'm also looking forward to sharing this new experience in my life with my family, they've been pretty supportive so far and I always keep them in my mind when I'm training............... can't disappoint them.
I have to say that since I committed to this "project", I feel so much better about myself, and that's probably why I really want to be cautious, I've fail before for trying to go to far, too fast, too soon.  On this one I really want to go like the "old bull" story and hopefully, one day in the future, I'll be able to finish healthy an Ironman...... that would be sweeeet!!!

Edited by boxer 2009-04-28 12:05 PM
2009-04-28 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2114632

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
prof40 - 2009-04-28 4:29 AM

Funny you should mention that, Krystyna, as I was going to reward your awesome effort with the right to choose the next challenge. What do you have in mind?

Let us know by Thursday so we can plan our weekends!

Hmm... well, we've all got races coming up, so I suggest we do some long distance work, split up with short distance sprints. Choose a length you are comfortable at completing, and split it into 6 components, such that you are doing 1 long, 1 short THREE times.
An example would be:
2400m total
-- 750m free swim, long pull, strong kicks -- perform this perfectly, not too fast, not too slow, very strong
-- rest 15-30s
-- 50m SPRINT
repeat x3 for a total of 2400m

Of course, if 2400m is too long or too short, adjust it to a level where you can perform every set perfectly. Record your times and come back to discuss!

Our goal in completing this challenge is to envision a perfect swim where absolutely nothing goes wrong: your breathing is perfect, your rhythm is flawless and your kicks and pulls are strong. Doing this kind of swimming does not necessarily mean going fast. Instead, it is to create muscle memory for your body. Once your muscles know how to swim a flawless swim then, even when you're nervous (as you'll undoubtedly be for a race!!), you'll be capable of swimming effectively without floundering. My swimming coach taught me this after she realized that I swam really well under no pressure, but when it came to racing, I got nervous and my stroke went to crap. It's really helped!!

How does this sound?

2009-04-28 1:21 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Krystyna,

Great choice. Can we do this assignment this week before the weekend? I could do it Thursday. I am going to try to do a mock olympic this weekend and do my first outdoor swim ever, try the transitions, put in the distance, etc. It is, however, 40 degrees and raining again. Our 80 degrees was 3 days and long gone.

Boxer,

Is that your bike in the picture? Wow!
2009-04-28 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2115149

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-04-28 10:26 AM David, or others, I have a question.

I have been training since mid February (10 or 11 weeks) pretty much 6 days a week. In my last 6 weeks I've been averaging about 10 hours a week. I was doing very little for 6 months before I started my training, so this has been quite an increase. My last two workouts have been lousy, a treadmill run yesterday and a swim this morning, and I feel tired, sore and spent. As the AP coordinator and an AP teacher at my school, this is my hardest month of the year at work (AP tests start next week), so that adds a lot of stress. I'm not sleeping well at all.

Should I take a couple days off, or will that hurt my training goals? I'm worried about losing ground--but can one gain ground by taking strategic time off? I'm 14 weeks out from my primary race, and 6 weeks from my Olympic.

I say take 3 days off and see  how you feel on Saturday. Not sure if you ever saw it -- remember the movie "Bull Durham", where the guys on the minor league baseball team were on a winning streak and then started getting all freaked out because they were on a streak? Kevin Costner snuck on the field the night before a game and turned the watering system on, flooding the field and requiring the game to be cancelled. Sometimes you just need a "rain day". I bet you'll feel great on Saturday.

Edited by prof40 2009-04-28 1:34 PM
2009-04-28 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2115759

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
krystyna47 - 2009-04-28 1:20 PM
prof40 - 2009-04-28 4:29 AM

Funny you should mention that, Krystyna, as I was going to reward your awesome effort with the right to choose the next challenge. What do you have in mind?

Let us know by Thursday so we can plan our weekends!

Hmm... well, we've all got races coming up, so I suggest we do some long distance work, split up with short distance sprints. Choose a length you are comfortable at completing, and split it into 6 components, such that you are doing 1 long, 1 short THREE times.
An example would be:
2400m total
-- 750m free swim, long pull, strong kicks -- perform this perfectly, not too fast, not too slow, very strong
-- rest 15-30s
-- 50m SPRINT
repeat x3 for a total of 2400m

Of course, if 2400m is too long or too short, adjust it to a level where you can perform every set perfectly. Record your times and come back to discuss!

Our goal in completing this challenge is to envision a perfect swim where absolutely nothing goes wrong: your breathing is perfect, your rhythm is flawless and your kicks and pulls are strong. Doing this kind of swimming does not necessarily mean going fast. Instead, it is to create muscle memory for your body. Once your muscles know how to swim a flawless swim then, even when you're nervous (as you'll undoubtedly be for a race!!), you'll be capable of swimming effectively without floundering. My swimming coach taught me this after she realized that I swam really well under no pressure, but when it came to racing, I got nervous and my stroke went to crap. It's really helped!!

How does this sound?

Sounds perfect. I'm in.
2009-04-28 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2115708

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boxer - 2009-04-28 1:04 PM

I have to say that since I committed to this "project", I feel so much better about myself, and that's probably why I really want to be cautious, I've fail before for trying to go to far, too fast, too soon.  On this one I really want to go like the "old bull" story and hopefully, one day in the future, I'll be able to finish healthy an Ironman...... that would be sweeeet!!!

I so hear what you're saying -- you've got the fever! Which is why it's important to not only set your goals, but figure out why you're making them, and then planning on how you're going to meet them.

Congrats on your race entry!

2009-04-28 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2115989

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Thanks! Is identical except for the wheels, I just have the stock version (shimano wheels) but I like them a lot. It came with Dura Ace, it's really a beauty.  2008 Cervelo P2 SL  56.
I consider this bike my mid-life crisis mistress!!!  I'm I going overboard here???????? 
Like David said, I got the fever........

As far as Krystyna's assignment, I'll try to knock it down during the week as well.  I would really like to try to join some one on the weekend for a longer ride and get an OWS.

Wx in Savannah is pretty decent now, low 80's and lots of sandgnats!!!!

2009-04-28 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2115759

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Sounds great Krystyna! I was shooting for a similar distance today anyway.  I'll let you know how it went.

After the pool I have to do "desert with daddy" with my daughter at school.  I guess I have to go earn that dessert!!!!
Thanks,
Jaime
2009-04-28 4:44 PM

So I did my first brick today at lunch. Just 25 min on the bike and 10 minutes on the treadmill. Oh man. I need to update my "realistic" goals--finish my sprint and don't end up in a hospital. Laughing
2009-04-28 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Ok Krystyna, just got back from the pool.  Did exactly like you said + 200 (50x4) drills.  So I logged total 2600 swim today. Felt great!! Like you said I focused on technique, trying to get extension.

That's my contribution, heading to school now to get my desert!!!
2009-04-28 6:56 PM

Veteran
Sorry guys, been away for too long.  Been real busy working, overtraining, and dating a girl out of town.  Now that I've got a foot problem and I need to rest a bit, I am finally able to check back in. 

Here are my three goals:
1.  Complete first sprint tri in Waukegon Il in July
2.  Complete first Olympic in Cleveland in August
3.  Complete Olympic in under 3 hrs.

These goals are going to become more difficult now that I've got a foot problem, but I should be able to concentrate more on the swim and cycling training for a few weeks.  As for what the problem is, I don't know exactly.  It just started hurting last night while I was walking around the house.  I didn't feel a pop or anything like when I had a stress fracture in the past so I don't know what it is.  The pain is between my arch and heal.  I'm gonna rest it a few days and see if it starts getting better before I schedule a doctor's appointment.
2009-04-28 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2116904

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong

Brian,
I've had this book I got from Runners World for years. It's called "The Runners' Repair Manual"
I looked up your problem and ran into a 5 pages dissertation!!!
I would gladly scan and e-mail the section. The Dr. on the book says it could be one of three problems or all three together:

-Plantar fasciitis

-heel spurs

-bursitis (inferior calcaneal)

At the end he recommends also three different things that can help relieve your pain:

-Strapping (Encircle the outside (heel) of the foot with tape - apply tape from inside to outside at the bottom -arch) and encircle again.

-Use an arch support

-Use heel pads.

Hope it helps.

2009-04-28 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2116904

Zupe - 2009-04-28 7:56 PM These goals are going to become more difficult now that I've got a foot problem, but I should be able to concentrate more on the swim and cycling training for a few weeks.  As for what the problem is, I don't know exactly.  It just started hurting last night while I was walking around the house.  I didn't feel a pop or anything like when I had a stress fracture in the past so I don't know what it is.  The pain is between my arch and heal.  I'm gonna rest it a few days and see if it starts getting better before I schedule a doctor's appointment.

Uh oh... could be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

Edited by cunninghamjerry 2009-04-28 9:06 PM
2009-04-29 2:06 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Question: I've never had a back message and I think I need one. Anything I need to know? Where to go--as in, anywhere, sports club, chiropractor's office? Type to get? How often? What I should pay? I know nothing about it.
2009-04-29 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2118826

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong

Greg,
This is just my personal experience. I played tennis for 8 years and I played A LOT. (Quantity not quality) It is pretty tough on your back (three times bulging disk) and many times I felt just like you, like I needed a massage.  I travel a lot and have to sit on airplanes for long hours and that doesn't help either.  I had once a massage in a hotel, and that was it....... it was worst than crack, I got addicted (not that I've ever done crack!). It is just great, I wish I could have one regularly, like weekly.
I suggest you start with a deep tissue massage which is both therapeutic and relaxing at the same time.
Sports massages are a bit painful but a blessing after a race; they help get rid of lactic acid on your muscles. 
Chiropractor.................. you better be absolutely sure who you are going to see, they are going to be messing with your back so it better be a good one. I've heard all kind of stories. Me personally, never done it.
You can expect to pay between 60 - 100 bucks for a one hour massage. 
The kind of massage and therapist are something very personal. Once you find what feels right for you YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!
Go for it!!

Edited by boxer 2009-04-30 12:20 PM
2009-04-29 11:27 PM

Hi all,

Well, my first tri ever was moved up about a month. A friend of mine emailed the other day and asked if I wanted to do the Nanticoke Sprint this Sunday. Being of unsound mind (I had had a beer or two) and unsound body (my knee was killing me; could barely go up/down stairs... result of what I have diagnosed as an IT Band problem) of course I said "yeah, let's go for it"! Just like I'm sure you guys would have, right?

It's 1/2 mile swim, 15.2 mile bike, and a 5k... we'll see how it goes. I'll let you know on Monday...

Jerry
2009-04-30 12:08 AM
in reply to: #2119965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
cunninghamjerry - 2009-04-30 12:27 AM Hi all,

Well, my first tri ever was moved up about a month. A friend of mine emailed the other day and asked if I wanted to do the Nanticoke Sprint this Sunday. Being of unsound mind (I had had a beer or two) and unsound body (my knee was killing me; could barely go up/down stairs... result of what I have diagnosed as an IT Band problem) of course I said "yeah, let's go for it"! Just like I'm sure you guys would have, right?

It's 1/2 mile swim, 15.2 mile bike, and a 5k... we'll see how it goes. I'll let you know on Monday...

Jerry

Wow, that's so spur of the moment and exciting! Have boat-loads of fun but try not to injure yourself so badly that you're out for lengthy periods of time! No one likes a grumpy triathlete... :P

2009-04-30 4:49 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Ditto, on the above. Grumpy triathletes are horrible! Especially when they're all sore and grunting and wincing as they walk about the room.

Or is that just me?

Have fun, but mind the leg. If it really starts to hurt, stop running and walk it in.
2009-04-30 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
2009-04-30 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2120040

User image

Regular
Vancouver
prof40 - 2009-04-30 4:49 AM Ditto, on the above. Grumpy triathletes are horrible! Especially when they're all sore and grunting and wincing as they walk about the room.

Or is that just me?

Okay--this is the end of David's quote and I'm writing now--I still haven't figured out the quote deal.

That's what I'm turing into--sore and grunting and wincing and grumpy. Not pleasant. It seems a bunch of us are getting injured or at least dogged by pain. So David, I took your advice and took yesterday off, and I even took a nap after work. I did our 2400 swim this morning, and it went well--I feel way better today than yesterday. I'm supposed to do an 11 mile run tonight, but I'm probably not going to. I think I'll go get some crack--I mean, a message--instead. I'll take tomorrow off, too, and then see if I'm back in the groove. I don't like the idea of taking time off, but I guess it's better than injury. Yesterday my back hurt so bad I could foresee my tri-dream ending in ignominy.

I am going to try to do a mock olympic on Saturday--just to try to get familiar with all of the stages and see how far I've really come in training. We don't have anything real events around here until the end of May so I thought I'd make up my own.  

Krystyna--great workout idea. It pushed me hard, but was rewarding.

Boxer--I love the video, but now I feel like a total wimp.

It may quit raining today. If any of you have water shortages this summer, just let me know. I have a few billion gallons I'd like to get rid of.

Have a great day all.

Edited by gplitt 2009-04-30 9:57 AM
2009-04-30 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong

Edited by boxer 2009-05-03 11:36 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18