BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-04-17 11:04 PM
in reply to: #2093049

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Introduction in correct format

JoeBWan - 2009-04-18 10:48 AM
So who's the dog in your avatar? I'm thinking he/she is your pup? And what does your wife teach? If it's young kids.... Maybe she already runs a 5k each day in an effort to keep up with them!

Yep, as my wife says, Cinnamon's the "other girl" in my life.  Now you had to go and make me break out the pics:

My wife, Lori BTW, took that while on a walk in the fields behind our house last week.  Lori teaches highschool Spanish to 13-18 yr olds.  The big hurdle is that her school is a 45 minute drive away, so she has to leave the house at 6:15 in the morning.

However, summer is coming soon!  Does school go on break during the summer in Australia like they do here?

Cinnamon is gorgeous!!!

Yes the schools BIG vacation here is over our summer so Dec-Feb... coincides with Chrissie too!

2009-04-17 11:05 PM
in reply to: #2093166

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-18 11:51 AM I just noticed that Beth's and Yanti's mentor group is already up to page 20. Oh wait. It's Beth and Yanti. Of COURSE they're up to page 20. Here, have some glitter to brighten your Friday.

Dont worry too much Dee... they also got started awhile before we did too... plenty of time to catch up if you want to... as long as we do get some training related chatter too

2009-04-17 11:10 PM
in reply to: #2090020

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - Open
Hi guys! I've been slowly catching up with the posts so far, and hope to get through the rest of them this weekend. Looks like we've got a great group of folks!

kaqphin - 2009-04-16 4:16 PM

Hi Karen - absolutely. I know what the "bad" phases are like - everyone here Im sure has either been there or will experience it for themselves at some time. Its the bad stuff that allows you to appreciate the good stuff right?

As a starting point we probably need to find some small things for you to focus on - the ones that you enjoy and will get the most joy out of - what do you think?

Yes, I think that's probably the best answer.  I think getting through this race is step #1. Then, getting ready for my half-mary in May is #2. I think I need to come up with a weekly training plan and then stick to it.

Im thinking the first race on Saturday will give you a starting point/a benchmark so to speak of where you are at right now! So go out, enjoy it - maybe help out some nervous newbies before the race and treat it as a fun day out

Id also try and get in one 'longish' run this weekend if you can so that you at least have a little confidence for the relay race and remember walk/run is a great method for just keeping on so Im sure you will be fine.

I'll see about doing a run tomorrow. But I may opt for sleeping in and then taking it easy.  We have to drive to Sacramento, which may take an hour or so.  Sadly, I need to get there early to pick up a rental wetsuit to replace the one that's hanging in the bathroom... it's too small. *sigh*

On the bike 40 miles to 80 miles isnt too bad in a couple of months. A lot of people riding centuries stick their long rides around 50-60 miles for the most part so Im pretty confident you will be fine as long as you get some long rides as well as some hills (simulated on the trainer if need be) to get some strength in your legs between now and then!

I'm more worried about the climbing. I haven't seen the profile, but I know there will be some pretty hard climbs. I've done parts of the route before, and it's in the mountains, so there'll be altitude to deal with as well.  Yes, some weekday trainer rides are in order, in addition to a couple of longer weekend rides.

For someone with no A races you already are pretty committed for the first half of the season!!!

Both Eric and I pride ourselves on being "do-ers." We do our share of sitting around during the week, but when the weekend rolls around, we're usually outside.  I enjoy doing triathlons and running races, and probably will start to want to do more organized cycling events after June. I like being around the people. It's like a party, except outside and with some physical challenge thrown in.

As for the weightloss - with this being so many peoples goals right now (including mine) I think we will need to be really supportive of everyone so lets start with this: what has worked for yuo in the past? Are you a plan person or do you like to wing it? What foods are you most likely to give in to? (actually everyone trying to loose weight should answer these qs if you can because it really helps to identify what yuo need nutrition wise)

When I gained my weight when I was sick I know it took a HUGE toll on my general well beign and self esteem. Not being avle to exercise just made the whole thing worse. I was pretty depressed to be honest... thats why we need multiple goals to focus on when it comes to our body image, at least I do!

Yeah, it's really taking a toll on me. I mean, I've always been bigger than I'd like to be. But I've been in denial about how much I've really let myself go over the last couple of years. But now I'm really feeling FAT, not just mushy.

Things that could work as goals include:

- Loosing inches as well as weight

- Eating less processed food

- Drinking less sugary drinks: juices/cordials/soft drinks

- Less alcohol

Youll notice Im all about the 'less' not the none. If you love something taking it away is not that fun in the long run right? Just like I dont think you should try and eat food you arent much of a fan of as long as you are getting a balance not liking something like cabbage (I hate raw cabbage) is not the end of the world!

I think I need to really work on just cleaning up what I'm eating and when and WHY. I'm aware of my emotional eating, but I still do it. I know I'm doing it for the wrong reasons, and honestly, I don't ever enjoy it as much as I think I will.  I need to remind myself of that before I take that first bite.

I'll do some thinking this weekend, by Sunday night, I'll come up with a list of goals for the coming week.

Then some goals around your as well so that any one of these goals achieved in a day/week/month means a victory:

- Time distance based goal for swim/bike/run

- Swim/Bike/Run 1 minute longer than last week

- Workout 4 times per week

- Stretch more

- Core work 2 times per week

To be honest the options are endless!!! The goal is not to hit this stuff every week but over time to see little improvements! It helps with the motivation - at least for me!

Again, I think what will work best for me will be to sit down on Sunday night and map out a plan for the week. I usually start with the training plan I have already set up, and then move things around to fit my schedule.

Getting below 190 pounds is a GREAT goal! What do you think needs to happen for you to get there? And is this realistic in the terms of something you can maintain longterm? Does it fit with yuor lifestyle?

As with everything this is just my thoughts so take what you need! I tend to overthink things so feel free to pick/chose and ignore/disagree dependant on what suits you!

Cat

YOU tend to over think things? 

So, after reading through other people's notes, I think I still "owe" you some more info about me.  (OK, OK... I'm chatty too!)

Relationship Status: long-term relationship with Eric, who is also a triathlete - he's responsible for introducing me to the sport

Weaknesses: I'm slow on land and even slower in the water.  I've worked hard on my run speed, and have seen some improvement. My PR for a 10k is around 1:07. Which, for me, is fantastic!

I've seen a lot of improvement in my bike strength over the last couple of years. I'm not nearly as fast as I'd like to be, but I'm getting there.  And I really do think that losing some weight would help immensely.

I only learned to swim in 2003. So, I guess that's something to be proud of. But I'm a terrible swimmer. I was good about going to the pool regularly from 2003-2007. But then I started to get really frustrated. I'd go to a masters class and would only be able to do about half the workout in the hour. Eventually, I gave it up. I figured no amount of training would make me faster, and it wasn't worth the emotional stress it was causing me. My workouts weren't enjoyable... just work.

Strengths:
Not many. Seriously, though... I'm a fast-learner. As it turns out, I learned to swim incorrectly, and have since re-learned how to swim... twice. Hopefully this last time (with a private coach) will be the charm. She seems to think she can help me. So if I can just keep my shoulder healthy, I might actually see some improvements there. Which would be a real boost to my ego.

Umm... so, is that more info than anyone expected?
2009-04-17 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2093054

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-18 10:52 AM
kaqphin - 2009-04-17 8:09 PM
peach5757 - 2009-04-18 12:57 AM ... It also has a strength training plan that it suggests you follow 2 days a week.  I haven't started any strength training yet...do you think that is a good idea?... ... I was a competitive swimmer through my childhood and swam for my college swim team so I'd have to say swimming is my strength. 
... 2) Strength TRaining: Around BT its a bit of a can of worms as some people are a fan and some are not as such. I would suggest if you are unsure you start out with core work and stretching. For general body conditioning, weight loss and longterm health, especially for women who start loosing muscle mass rapidly every year from around the age of 30 then its a good idea. Might not directly make you faster in a triathlon but it will make you a more well rounded human being health wise. I also call some of it vanity in my case!

Also a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat so as you shape up you may find your weight doesnt always change that much but your size may!

I don't want to enter the ever-ongoing BT weight training debate either, but... Another thought is doing a higher number of reps with less weight for your strength training. This helps conditioning, rather than emphasizing building muscle mass. (Although women will build less muscle than men, due to lower testosterone levels.) For example, rather than doing 6-8 repetitions with a heavier weight.... Do 12-15 repetitions with a lighter weight. Also, Cat has a really good point about losing muscle mass after age 30. In addition, weight bearing exercises can (supposedly) help maintain strong bones and prevent osteoporosis. (Although there are a lot of other factors involved, as well.)

Ok WARNING: Im a former gym bunny and I used to do some serious weight training including split routine 5-6 day a week schedules so I have some *opinions*

Some of them include:

1) As Dee said, if you are a woman you are very unlikely to bulk up because you dont have testosterone. The benefits you WILL get are great for your all round health. Especially as we all get older.

2) If you are going to do it you might as well do it properly.. this includes GOOD form and do NOT rush your repetitions or use momentum. Lower weight with good form is BETTER than a heavier weight all over the place

3) Its really important to make sure your routine is balanced - that means if you are going to do your abs and core make sure you work your lower back etc too... if you are going to work on your biceps, do your tripceps too

4) If you are just stting out you should be aiming for around 12 repetitions per set. You should pick your weight as one that is challenging but that you feel you could do about 1-2 more repetitions after finishing if you had to.If in doubt go a little lighter rather than a little heavier

5) With endurance training you do not need to hit the weights room more that twice a week

6) There are other ways to build muscles related to triathlon such as running uphills, riding up hills, high resistance rides on the bike trainer and swimming with paddles .

7) DO NOT SWIM WITH PADDLES - unless you have perfect form and NO shoulder issues... if you do you will hurt your shoulder. This means Dee.... NEVER EVER SWIM WITH PADDLES!

8) Compound exercises work really well for athletes. Compound exercises are those that work BIG groups of muscles all together and generally in a more functional way (so closer to how we would use these muscles in real life). Some good examples include the squat and the push up.

9) Plyometrics are also good - but be careful with these if you have any troubles with your legs. Some of the motions such as jumping and twisting can be hard on your joints so if you already have issues be selective with what exercises you pick

I could go on this topic FOREVER - but I have a shelf full of weight training books from my gym bunny days, a lot of my old routines and I still write my own strength routines when Im not working with my personal trainer. So if anyone wants some help in this area let me know.

2009-04-17 11:19 PM
in reply to: #2090098

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Oh and dont worry about being last or embarrassing yourself. The ONLY person you are racing in your first triathlon is yourself and your goals for the first race should be:

1) To start the race

2) To finish the race

3) To have fun

Triathlons are an incredibly supportive environment and you will be amazedhow there are all kinds of people competing in them!

Do you know what they call the last finisher at a triathlon?

A triathlete.

2009-04-17 11:27 PM
in reply to: #2093333

User image

Champion
Sydney

madkat - 2009-04-18 2:10 PM Hi guys! I've been slowly catching up with the posts so far, and hope to get through the rest of them this weekend. Looks like we've got a great group of folks!

Yes, I think that's probably the best answer.  I think getting through this race is step #1. Then, getting ready for my half-mary in May is #2. I think I need to come up with a weekly training plan and then stick to it.

I'm more worried about the climbing. I haven't seen the profile, but I know there will be some pretty hard climbs. I've done parts of the route before, and it's in the mountains, so there'll be altitude to deal with as well.  Yes, some weekday trainer rides are in order, in addition to a couple of longer weekend rides.

Both Eric and I pride ourselves on being "do-ers." We do our share of sitting around during the week, but when the weekend rolls around, we're usually outside.  I enjoy doing triathlons and running races, and probably will start to want to do more organized cycling events after June. I like being around the people. It's like a party, except outside and with some physical challenge thrown in.

I think I need to really work on just cleaning up what I'm eating and when and WHY. I'm aware of my emotional eating, but I still do it. I know I'm doing it for the wrong reasons, and honestly, I don't ever enjoy it as much as I think I will.  I need to remind myself of that before I take that first bite.

I'll do some thinking this weekend, by Sunday night, I'll come up with a list of goals for the coming week.

YOU tend to over think things? 

Weaknesses: I'm slow on land and even slower in the water.  I've worked hard on my run speed, and have seen some improvement. My PR for a 10k is around 1:07. Which, for me, is fantastic!

I've seen a lot of improvement in my bike strength over the last couple of years. I'm not nearly as fast as I'd like to be, but I'm getting there.  And I really do think that losing some weight would help immensely.

I only learned to swim in 2003. So, I guess that's something to be proud of. But I'm a terrible swimmer. I was good about going to the pool regularly from 2003-2007. But then I started to get really frustrated. I'd go to a masters class and would only be able to do about half the workout in the hour. Eventually, I gave it up. I figured no amount of training would make me faster, and it wasn't worth the emotional stress it was causing me. My workouts weren't enjoyable... just work.

Strengths:
Not many. Seriously, though... I'm a fast-learner. As it turns out, I learned to swim incorrectly, and have since re-learned how to swim... twice. Hopefully this last time (with a private coach) will be the charm. She seems to think she can help me. So if I can just keep my shoulder healthy, I might actually see some improvements there. Which would be a real boost to my ego.

Umm... so, is that more info than anyone expected?

Yay for more chatty people!

I think my overthinking thing is a BIG part my emotional eating... yup I do it too. I have some killer stories too of stuff Ive dont thats just sooooo irrational! Ive melted down over my weight and then eaten a packet (yes an ENTIRE packet) of chocolate biscuits to make me feel better. And thats really just the tip of the iceberg...

I love you already have time put aside to work out your plan and what you want to do each week Sounds like you are an organised sort of person. I guess thats part of being a 'do-er'. My resolution for this year was to stop talking about all the stuff Im 'gonna' do and start doing it... saving for and buying my new bike is the first major goal under that. Others include the training and eating and loosing weight as well as trying to force myself into something ressembling a social life Oh and after the bike Im going to save for an eventually take a holiday for the first time in years... if I get my act together I actually want to do a trip to the US!

Wow sounds like you are also really good a persevering! The swimming can be tough but tohave to relearn twice is a BIG ask! Any idea whats not been working out?

Edited by kaqphin 2009-04-17 11:28 PM

2009-04-17 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2093349

User image

Champion
Sydney

madkat - 2009-04-18 2:19 PM

Oh and dont worry about being last or embarrassing yourself. The ONLY person you are racing in your first triathlon is yourself and your goals for the first race should be:

1) To start the race

2) To finish the race

3) To have fun

Triathlons are an incredibly supportive environment and you will be amazedhow there are all kinds of people competing in them!

Do you know what they call the last finisher at a triathlon?

A triathlete.

And you get a pretty MASSIVE cheer

2009-04-17 11:33 PM
in reply to: #2093020

User image

Champion
Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-04-18 10:33 AM

JoeBWan - 2009-04-18 2:12 AM

- Are you using a training plan? I really don't do the plan thing.

I think I was a little misleading when I said I don't do the plan thing.  I do actually have a routine and I try to workout intelligently, but I don't follow any "prescribed" or written plans.  I have tried that a couple of times and always have a difficult time adapting other plans to my schedule.

When my ankle's back in shape, here's my planned rountine:

Monday - run after work; bike in evening (in the summer I will bike to work and back)
Tuesday - swim at lunch (40 min)
Wednesday - run after work (speed workout with T-Ray2 & friends)
Thursday - swim at lunch (40 min)
Friday - OFF
Saturday - swim in early morning; bike later in the day
Sunday - long, slow trail run

Cat, thanks for the ankle advice.  It felt good enough today that I really wanted to run, but I'm using my greatest willpower to be patient and wait until I'm sure.  I'll listen to you and wrap it during my runs for a while.  I hadn't thought of that even though I do own a wrap.  Duh!

Just call me injury girl! I put myself on crutches for 6 weeks with a sprained ankle once, a couple more weeks with one crutch to support me walking around... and there was a LONG period of rehab...

Ankles are my thing (and knees, feet and shins)

Your training plan looks really good - how are you going with cycling just twice a week? Comes down to your time avail and priorities of course! But generally in tris cycling can be up to 50% of your race time, especially in the longer distances... so it helps to have a good engine

2009-04-17 11:34 PM
in reply to: #2090797

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED
FYI, I'm headed toward Kansas City, Mo

Now I have the lyrics "...going to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come..." stuck in my head.
2009-04-17 11:35 PM
in reply to: #2093001

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-18 10:28 AM
kaqphin - 2009-04-17 8:22 PM Great!! I look forward to meeting her

Im now off for my ride - I will then spend sometme this afternoon talking about training in a group, training solo and the questions around your first triathlon...

In the interim Id love to hear any updates on peoples traing and what you all have planned for the weekend (not just training!)

Me? Im going for my long ride now... a bit late... then I have dinner with my brother tonight before he flies back to  Melbourne tomorrow. Tomorrow I am meeting a friend for a run, then will do a ride and hopefully later in the day a swim...

My what an exciting social life I have!!It has to fit around my bike rides Well that and I have NO MONEY because of the whole paying for a new bike thing...

Have fun!

Wasnt a great ride I was too tired and froze... the wind wanted to take me off my ike... so I called it and will have another go at getting a long one tomorrow.

Oh well.. I generally have one short and one long on the weekends.

2009-04-17 11:44 PM
in reply to: #2092975

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-18 10:19 AM Cat - thanks for the swimming, running and biking advice! I think I'm going to print it out, actually. (I think my swim stroke is too wide, so I'm working on that.... And yes, I DO count when I run! So I know exactly what you mean. LOL) But... I just realized that while I gave an intro, I didn't answer some of the other questions you asked.... Training Plan: I don't have one. I tried a few of the BT ones, but didn't stick with them. In general, I just try to increase things slowly. For example, if I swam ___ yards in one session, the next time I get in the pool, I'll try to increase it slightly. Or, if I'm really struggling, I'll at least try to match it. I've gotten better at not pushing myself, because I kept getting injured. (But in some cases, I probably need to push more. I think I've slacked off too much lately, due to work, etc.) Anything else you need help with in relation to the sport: Um, for now, I'll just ask questions as they come to me. And I'll read about what everyone else is doing. This group has people at all levels, so I'm sure I'll pick up a lot of good info and pointers. (Yay, us! ) Goals: Increase endurance and consistency. (Speed would be nice too, especially with swimming and running.) Try to keep from injuring shoulders, knees and any other body parts. Lose the weight that's crept on. (Which will also help the knees.) Upcoming races: Um.... I admit it - I'm not here for the races, really. There's enough competition in my life as there is. I train more to relieve stress, and in an attempt to get in shape. (Or regain the shape I've lost!) That said, I *heart* the challenge forum! It's competitive, without being competitive. (If that makes any sense.) Also, I do need to push myself more. So maybe I need to set some more definite training goals. (Although the challenges generally keep me in line.) Hurdles to be overcome: I need to learn to balance work and "everything else" better. :P

Hi Dee,

I guess the word 'training plan' can be a bit misleading... but given the chaos in your life right now I think a bit of reoutine might help! Dont worry about increasing th distance of your sessions every time either... its ok to have some shorter and some longer!

The idea is that over time you might swim a bit longer or a bit faster. So if you swam 500m today and 500m tomorrow. Then next week you might try to swim 550m one day and 500m a bit faster.

I think I need to write out my 'anyone can write their own swim plan' instructions for the group so Im mentally flagging it as something to do. Makes life really easy as when you go to the pool you know what you are doing and also how to through a plan together on the fly

I know you want to work on consistency as one of your goals so for starters work out how much time you realistically have available to train in a week... it could be 2 hours.. thats ok. Then work out how you would like to spend them (swim bike run) and WHEN you would like to use them. THen you know when you are going to train.. once we know the answers to those questions we can start working on what you are going to do!This will also help with balance... you can schedule your workouts each week or each day as suits and then you are committed.

Sometimes life willcome up - and family/friends etc are important. So you have to make your own call on what you can miss and what you cant. The one piece of advice Ive seen often and that seems to make sense (and Im not married or anything so please take this as me passing something on rather) is that making a bit of time to do something for yourself will allow you to feel better. And... if you feel better you can then offer more to your loved ones as you are more likely to be present mentally and emotionally if you are feeling good.

I know for me - Im a much better employee in the office when Im getting my workouts. Im a muchbetter friend because I have a more positive attitude when Im getting my workouts and looking after myself etc

Good Luck!

2009-04-17 11:45 PM
in reply to: #2092902

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

The thing with weight, in my experience, is it tends to get momentum and because for many people its linked to emotions (myself incuded) you can find yourself in a cycle where you go.. Im fat, I dont like myself, I feel bad, Im going to eat some chocolate (insert food of choice), why did I eat that, I feel sick etc etc etc Ive been there more times than I will ever admit... bad day at work? I want junk... Success at work? I want junk to celebrate... its such a very very hard cycle to get out of.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

Seriously... that's it exactly. I deserve this ... whatever... because I had a terrible day.
2009-04-17 11:56 PM
in reply to: #2093375

User image

Champion
Sydney

madkat - 2009-04-18 2:45 PM

The thing with weight, in my experience, is it tends to get momentum and because for many people its linked to emotions (myself incuded) you can find yourself in a cycle where you go.. Im fat, I dont like myself, I feel bad, Im going to eat some chocolate (insert food of choice), why did I eat that, I feel sick etc etc etc Ive been there more times than I will ever admit... bad day at work? I want junk... Success at work? I want junk to celebrate... its such a very very hard cycle to get out of.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

Seriously... that's it exactly. I deserve this ... whatever... because I had a terrible day.

Im there with you!!!

And how about this one: I lost weight! Time to have some junk because I'Ve been so good... huh? How is THAT rational?

2009-04-18 12:19 AM
in reply to: #2093355

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Wow sounds like you are also really good a persevering! The swimming can be tough but to have to relearn twice is a BIG ask! Any idea whats not been working out?

Just like with pretty much the rest of my life, when I do something, I tend to over-do it. So, when I read that I should be rotating in the water... I really rotated in the water. Lots. Like all the way to my side on each pull. Only, not just the parts of me that should be going, like my hips and shoulder, but my legs and head and feet.

When the teacher told me I should be making an "S" in the water on my pull, I made an "S."

I worked so hard to learn all the things that I was told I needed to do... the things that most people have a problem with. Except that I over-learned them. Example: I have a great reach. In fact, I have a too-great reach. According to the coach I've been working with, my shoulders are "double jointed," and I hyper-extend them on my reach. By a lot. Which probably contributed to the soreness I've been experiencing, and which has been my excuse (probably valid) for not swimming for over a month.  But I haven't actually made an appt to see my chiropractor about it, which I really should.

I can swim forever. I'm slow-enough that I can get in the water and swim and swim and swim and swim without getting winded or tired.  I've asked my coach to help me improve my form and see how that improves my speed, and THEN I can start to work on training to specifically get faster, if I need to.

In the 3 sessions I've had with her, I've already learned a lot. And I feel like, for the first time, I'm actually learning the correct thing.

So, I already have one goal for next week: go see my chiro and get a plan to get my shoulder back in shape so I can continue swimming.
2009-04-18 12:32 AM
in reply to: #2093406

User image

Champion
Sydney

madkat - 2009-04-18 3:19 PM
Wow sounds like you are also really good a persevering! The swimming can be tough but to have to relearn twice is a BIG ask! Any idea whats not been working out?

Just like with pretty much the rest of my life, when I do something, I tend to over-do it. So, when I read that I should be rotating in the water... I really rotated in the water. Lots. Like all the way to my side on each pull. Only, not just the parts of me that should be going, like my hips and shoulder, but my legs and head and feet.

When the teacher told me I should be making an "S" in the water on my pull, I made an "S."

I worked so hard to learn all the things that I was told I needed to do... the things that most people have a problem with. Except that I over-learned them. Example: I have a great reach. In fact, I have a too-great reach. According to the coach I've been working with, my shoulders are "double jointed," and I hyper-extend them on my reach. By a lot. Which probably contributed to the soreness I've been experiencing, and which has been my excuse (probably valid) for not swimming for over a month.  But I haven't actually made an appt to see my chiropractor about it, which I really should.

I can swim forever. I'm slow-enough that I can get in the water and swim and swim and swim and swim without getting winded or tired.  I've asked my coach to help me improve my form and see how that improves my speed, and THEN I can start to work on training to specifically get faster, if I need to.

In the 3 sessions I've had with her, I've already learned a lot. And I feel like, for the first time, I'm actually learning the correct thing.

So, I already have one goal for next week: go see my chiro and get a plan to get my shoulder back in shape so I can continue swimming.

Ok I totally understnad now!!!

Funnily enough the over rotating thing is REALLY common.. its one of the few issues I have with TI actually is that because most people tend to read selectively and take in 'bits' one of the things they remember is the body rotation and totally over do it....

The extending the arm actually gets your body to pretty much rotate as much as you need... although it sounds like you are incredibly conscientious with that! Whoops!

How is your shoulder after a month off? If its an overuse thing you might be back in the water faster than you think since youve already had time off

2009-04-18 12:43 AM
in reply to: #2072951

User image

Champion
Sydney

Super Cats 'To Do' List

So I dont forget here are the areas I still havent covered yet from all or your posts:

- Traning solo vs training with a group - what, when etc

- How to plan your swim training

- Triathlon race day: What to wear, transition, what to expect

Let me know if Ive mised anything else!

2009-04-18 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2093364

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 12:33 AM

how are you going with cycling just twice a week? Comes down to your time avail and priorities of course! But generally in tris cycling can be up to 50% of your race time, especially in the longer distances... so it helps to have a good engine

Yeah.  There's just not enough time to do everything I wish I could do.  Ideally, I would like to fit in two days of strength training, too, but like you said, it's all about priorities.

One of my friends that I do local sprints with told me once that if his running is "on," then everything else pretty much comes together.  I kind of feel that way too even though I know it's probably not the best logic.

So did your ankle heal completely?  Another friend of mine said that she sprained her ankle almost a year ago and it STILL swells up sometimes on long runs.  The prospect of having a lifetime recurring injury scares me.

2009-04-18 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2093343

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 12:16 AM DO NOT SWIM WITH PADDLES - unless you have perfect form and NO shoulder issues...

Really?!  I was JUST about to buy some swim paddles.  So is this advice just for Dee or do you think paddles are a bad idea for any untrained swimmer?  I was reading online that they really help you build your "pull strength" and, although I'm really happy with being able to swim longer distances now, I'm not going any faster.

OH - I never answered your question about my swim training.  You asked if I do any drills or if I just swim for time.  I pretty much just swim freestyle now, but I'm thinking about joining our local Masters group.  I get their daily workout emails and have been reading their workouts for a couple of weeks now.  It's pretty much like trying to read Chinese.  I have no idea what their abbreviations and nicknames for workouts mean.  But, I felt the same way before going to my first track workouts last year and I learned pretty quickly.

2009-04-18 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2093420

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 1:43 AM

Super Cats 'To Do' List

So I dont forget here are the areas I still havent covered yet from all or your posts:

- Traning solo vs training with a group - what, when etc

- How to plan your swim training

- Triathlon race day: What to wear, transition, what to expect

Let me know if Ive mised anything else!

Maybe we could discuss additional technique stuff? For example: Swimming stroke technique pointers. (Unless you're including that in your planning/drills.)

What about planning run training? (Because we know I "love" the treadmill, and wogging on it.)

Edited by D001 2009-04-18 12:50 PM
2009-04-18 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2093916

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Question for the group:

How does everyone keep themselves motivated and avoid getting stuck on a plateau?

Does anyone have some "unique training tips" or "mental games" that you use to make workouts more interesting, or to push yourself?

For my motivation --> I like the team challenges here. But lately, with work and life being crazy, I find myself putting off my workouts, and not pushing myself as hard as I should. So I need to correct that problem. (Hence my questions above.)

2009-04-18 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2093922

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
To me, goals make me work. Without them I veg out.

Working out with others is helpful too but I am not ready for that yet.

Other than that it's an ipod with good tunes or even an audio book to pass the time exercising.

D001 - 2009-04-18 1:55 PM Question for the group: How does everyone keep themselves motivated and avoid getting stuck on a plateau? Does anyone have some "unique training tips" or "mental games" that you use to make workouts more interesting, or to push yourself? For my motivation --> I like the team challenges here. But lately, with work and life being crazy, I find myself putting off my workouts, and not pushing myself as hard as I should. So I need to correct that problem. (Hence my questions above.)

2009-04-18 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2072951

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I went for a bike fitting yesterday as I want to get a new road bike (I'd be happy to give more details if anyone would like). The bike fitter noticed I have one leg shorter than the other, my knee on the short leg has been bothering me when I run but not walking or on the elliptical. In general this knee does not have the flexibility the other knee does and aches under the knee cap if I flex too hard. Should I see a podiatrist or sport medicine clinic about it?
2009-04-18 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2093922

User image

Veteran
Seattle

D001 - 2009-04-18 12:55 PM Question for the group: How does everyone keep themselves motivated and avoid getting stuck on a plateau? Does anyone have some "unique training tips" or "mental games" that you use to make workouts more interesting, or to push yourself? For my motivation --> I like the team challenges here. But lately, with work and life being crazy, I find myself putting off my workouts, and not pushing myself as hard as I should. So I need to correct that problem. (Hence my questions above.)

You can check my Album for how I stay motivated - nothing like progress pics; this way, if you aren't seeing progress on the scale, there is some visual proof (and knowing that I need to pull the belt one notch tighter).

Workouts - I use my iPod on the stationary bike (I haven't bought a bike yet since the weather in Seattle doesn't start getting nice until end of April / early May).  I set up a playlist for intervals with songs that have a high paced/driving beat followed by one or two songs to slow down.  For long rides I'll bring along some study materials (I'm studying for the CPA exam) or magazine to pass the time.

2009-04-18 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2093965

User image

Champion
Taser-World
losta - 2009-04-18 2:37 PM

I went for a bike fitting yesterday as I want to get a new road bike (I'd be happy to give more details if anyone would like). The bike fitter noticed I have one leg shorter than the other, my knee on the short leg has been bothering me when I run but not walking or on the elliptical. In general this knee does not have the flexibility the other knee does and aches under the knee cap if I flex too hard. Should I see a podiatrist or sport medicine clinic about it?

Do you know if you have chondromalacia patella? I have it. (I've had it for years, actually.) I've found that doing leg extensions helps strengthen the muscles supporting the knee. (Be sure not to hyperextend though.)

Mayo Clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chondromalacia-patella/DS00777

Go Ask Alice (Columbia U.):
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1112.html
2009-04-18 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2094064

User image

Champion
Taser-World
d2lock - 2009-04-18 4:10 PM

You can check my Album for how I stay motivated - nothing like progress pics; this way, if you aren't seeing progress on the scale, there is some visual proof (and knowing that I need to pull the belt one notch tighter).

Workouts - I use my iPod on the stationary bike (I haven't bought a bike yet since the weather in Seattle doesn't start getting nice until end of April / early May).  I set up a playlist for intervals with songs that have a high paced/driving beat followed by one or two songs to slow down.  For long rides I'll bring along some study materials (I'm studying for the CPA exam) or magazine to pass the time.

Wow, that's a noticeable difference in just a few months! Congratulations!

I got a laugh out of your April Goal #2.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58