BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-06-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2194412

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD
partieda - 2009-06-04 8:49 AM Hi Karen, I would like to know, which book do you recommend to read for a first triathlon? Thanks! Patricia

Hi Patricia,

I know you were asking Karen this question, but I'm a newbie here too and I really took a lot from this book:
Training Plans for Multisport Athletes: Your Essential Guide to Triathlon, Duathlon, XTERRA, Ironman, and Endurance Racing by Gale Bernhardt

I read through the training plan for a triathlete (sprint distance) and used that along with some other resources to design my training plan for the last 16 weeks.

You've reminded me that I should probably go back to it before my race next week to see if there are any other pointers that I could use.

Good luck with your training. 

I would suggest going back through the previous posts.  There is an array of great advice here.
~Marsha

2009-06-04 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2194477

Thanks Marsha!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let me know how you did!!!
I will get the book today!

Patricia
2009-06-04 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2194477

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-06-04 9:05 AM
partieda - 2009-06-04 8:49 AM Hi Karen, I would like to know, which book do you recommend to read for a first triathlon? Thanks! Patricia

Hi Patricia,

I know you were asking Karen this question, but I'm a newbie here too and I really took a lot from this book:
Training Plans for Multisport Athletes: Your Essential Guide to Triathlon, Duathlon, XTERRA, Ironman, and Endurance Racing by Gale Bernhardt

I read through the training plan for a triathlete (sprint distance) and used that along with some other resources to design my training plan for the last 16 weeks.

You've reminded me that I should probably go back to it before my race next week to see if there are any other pointers that I could use.

Good luck with your training. 

I would suggest going back through the previous posts.  There is an array of great advice here.
~Marsha

Marsha,

Thanks for chiming in with this. I actually don't have any tri-specific book recommendations. I subscribed to Triathlon magazine for a few years (let it lapse this year...after a while, there's nothing new), and learned a lot from it.

The one book I do recommend for everybody is Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. At some point, we're all going to have some nagging pain/discomfort and an actual injury. While I wouldn't say this book will cure or fix everything, it does help with understanding why some injuries occur and provides easy "exercises" to treat pain as well as to keep it at bay.

If I am good about doing the daily maintenance exercises (he calls them "e-cises"), I seem to stay injury free.

If you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone, there is a Pain Free app. I still recommend the book because of the explanation of how and why we suffer certain injuries.

2009-06-05 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2077050

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Have a great weekend everyone. Happy training. And good luck wishes to Todd who is racing this weekend (same race as me).

I'm off to get my toes painted!

2009-06-05 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Good Luck this weekend Todd and Karen!!!  Let us know how you do!!
2009-06-07 12:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Well, I finished the Heatwave.  I didn't have the day I wanted, but cinsidering I have been having some knee issues, I will take a finish!  My time was 3 hours 26 minutes.

How did you do Karen?

2009-06-07 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2199790

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-06-07 12:41 AM Well, I finished the Heatwave.  I didn't have the day I wanted, but cinsidering I have been having some knee issues, I will take a finish!  My time was 3 hours 26 minutes.

How did you do Karen?

Good job with hanging in there despite the knee issues. Triathlon take a bit to "get," but you'll start seeing lots of improvement over the year, I bet.

I had a good race...and ended up with a PR on the course (although my time is about the same as last year's, but the swim and run were longer). I finished in 2:39 something. My bike was one of my best yet. And that's after a lackidasical few weeks on the bike. I flew "blind" the whole race, not using my watch or bike computer and just relying on RPE. I think that's probably a better way for me to race rather than getting all the time and heart rate feedback all the time.

Rest that knee, Todd. Hate to see it turn into something serious or long term.

Edited by kvesey 2009-06-07 5:07 PM
2009-06-07 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Hey everyone, here's a great article to read to start off your week. My coach sent it to me, and it has a lot of interesting insights.

http://www.runningtimes.com//Article.aspx?ArticleID=15247

2009-06-08 9:28 PM

User image

Prattville
Hey all - Finally getting settled here in AL (Holy Humidity Batman!), and thought I'd check in. I've got a race coming up on Sat (Buster Britton Sprint in Birmingham). Looking forward to it, but a little nervous about how hot and humid it's going to be. Question: When I'm riding on the trainer, I've found that my pedal stroke has a stutter to it. As I go from 11 to 1-2 o'clock, I've found that I'm not meeting any resistance at all. I know this means I'm not very efficient, but I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?
2009-06-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2203947

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-06-08 9:28 PM Hey all - Finally getting settled here in AL (Holy Humidity Batman!), and thought I'd check in. I've got a race coming up on Sat (Buster Britton Sprint in Birmingham). Looking forward to it, but a little nervous about how hot and humid it's going to be. Question: When I'm riding on the trainer, I've found that my pedal stroke has a stutter to it. As I go from 11 to 1-2 o'clock, I've found that I'm not meeting any resistance at all. I know this means I'm not very efficient, but I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?

OLDs...aka One-Legged Drills. Or single-leg drills.

After warming up, take your left foot off the pedal and pedal for about 30 seconds with only your right leg. Click your left foot back on, pedal with both legs for about 1 minute. Switch and pedal only with the left leg. Do about 10 repetitions.

I have some other drills that my coach gave me last year or the year before. Let me see if I can dig them up.

2009-06-10 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
So how's it going with everyone?  I have taken the past couple of days of to recover from the Heatwave and let the blisters on my feet heal up.  I am going to ease back into training today.  I will start my HIM training plan with the next few days, with 2 a day training sessions most of the time.  I am going to have to reconsider some of the training methods I am using if I plan to finish a HIM.  Considering the amount of time I spent training, the Heatwave should not have been aas difficult for me as it was, I was a little disappointed.  For example, it doesn't matter how hard I push on the bike, my average speeds do not reflect the amount of energy I am spending.

ANyway, how's it going with everyone else?

2009-06-10 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2207191

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-06-10 8:58 AM So how's it going with everyone?  I have taken the past couple of days of to recover from the Heatwave and let the blisters on my feet heal up.  I am going to ease back into training today.  I will start my HIM training plan with the next few days, with 2 a day training sessions most of the time.  I am going to have to reconsider some of the training methods I am using if I plan to finish a HIM.  Considering the amount of time I spent training, the Heatwave should not have been aas difficult for me as it was, I was a little disappointed.  For example, it doesn't matter how hard I push on the bike, my average speeds do not reflect the amount of energy I am spending.

Todd, I am wondering what kind of recovery you are doing and whether that is affecting how well you race. Make sure on your recovery days that you are going slow, slow, slow. If you wear a heart rate monitor do not get above zone 1. If you don't wear a heart rate monitor, then run a full 1-2 minutes per mile slower than you normally do. Same on the bike and swim. It's very easy to go out for a "recovery" run and think, "I feel so good," and breeze through it at an almost tempo pace. Unfortunately, that's not recovery.

If I were you, I would take the rest of this week of and ease into your HIM training next week. A couple of days off the schedule won't make a difference.

You really should be going into races feeling fresh.

If you haven't already, it may be worthwhile to do a threshold test (or a couple: one running, one cycling) to set down some target heart rates. In my experience, heart rate training, if done correctly, is very effective.

Out of curiousity, which plan are you using?

Edited by kvesey 2009-06-10 9:28 AM
2009-06-10 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
My training is going well.  Although I stupidly took up a new "hip-butt-thigh" class on Monday and my hamstrings are still tight/sore.  DUH!!

My first tri (sprint) is this Sunday and I don't know if I'm mentally ready yet.  I keep saying that I'm going to practice my transitions, but it hasn't happened yet.  Maybe I'll go put the baby to bed and do it right now.  (ha-ha easier said than done.)

I'm a little frustrated because the weather in Chicagoland has not been cooperating.  Sounds like the lake is only going to be mid-60's which means a wet suit for me.  Rain is in the forecast too.  Perhaps that will change between now and then.  I've never worn a wet suit before and just this morning borrowed one from a friend.  We'll be doing a short open water Friday morning and then I have an open water chalk-talk to attend Saturday morning.  It's going to be a small group so we will be getting in the water again to practice passing, siting bouys, turning around bouys, etc.

Any helpful hints out there on how to put on or take off a wet suit effectively?

Secondly, I bought new bike shoes and clip-in pedals and fell off my bike a couple weeks ago(still recovering from that).  So off with the bike shoes until I get more comfortable.

I don't think I have any complaints about the run yet.  8^)

My tri-gear hasn't come in so I guess I'm just going to wear my speedo and pull on a pair of shorts for the bike and run.  (I have a gel cover to put on my seat for comfort)

Nutrition is a whole 'nother story.

Now that I've made all my complaints, I really am going to take your advice to heart and try to have FUN!!  It obviously is already going to be a less than ideal situation and I need to be able to roll with the punches.  I have 2 more months until my A race.  I am going to treat this as a learning experience. 

I set my goal according to my current training and from last year's results.
There were over 2,000 women that participated, 200 in my age group.
I would like to be in the top 300 total
Top 30 in my age group
Total time to be less than 1:30:00

2009-06-10 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2207289

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-06-10 9:27 AM

msfugitivehunter - 2009-06-10 8:58 AM So how's it going with everyone?  I have taken the past couple of days of to recover from the Heatwave and let the blisters on my feet heal up.  I am going to ease back into training today.  I will start my HIM training plan with the next few days, with 2 a day training sessions most of the time.  I am going to have to reconsider some of the training methods I am using if I plan to finish a HIM.  Considering the amount of time I spent training, the Heatwave should not have been aas difficult for me as it was, I was a little disappointed.  For example, it doesn't matter how hard I push on the bike, my average speeds do not reflect the amount of energy I am spending.

Todd, I am wondering what kind of recovery you are doing and whether that is affecting how well you race. Make sure on your recovery days that you are going slow, slow, slow. If you wear a heart rate monitor do not get above zone 1. If you don't wear a heart rate monitor, then run a full 1-2 minutes per mile slower than you normally do. Same on the bike and swim. It's very easy to go out for a "recovery" run and think, "I feel so good," and breeze through it at an almost tempo pace. Unfortunately, that's not recovery.

If I were you, I would take the rest of this week of and ease into your HIM training next week. A couple of days off the schedule won't make a difference.

You really should be going into races feeling fresh.

If you haven't already, it may be worthwhile to do a threshold test (or a couple: one running, one cycling) to set down some target heart rates. In my experience, heart rate training, if done correctly, is very effective.

Out of curiousity, which plan are you using?

I always go into race day fresh and feeling very good.  However, I just can't find my speed on the bike and I feel myself fading after about 20 miles.  As far as recovery, this time around, mainly because of the blisters on my feet, I have taken a full 4 days off with no training.  That leaves time for one session with each discipline this week.  I always ease back into training, usually no more than 30 minutes or so at a very easy pace the first week after the race.

I do not have a HR monitor, but am upgrading my Garmin to the 305 (includes hr monitor).  I am also looking for a lab or clinic that will perform the LT tests for me and help me find my "correct" zones.  That will also aid me in the races because I can pace myself based on my HR.

I am going to use the beginner 1/2 IM (20 week) plan here on BT.  I am not really crazy about the plans layout, so I will probebly move some of the workouts around.  I am also very open to other plans if you have a better one.

Thanks for all your help
2009-06-11 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2208917

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-06-10 7:52 PM
kvesey - 2009-06-10 9:27 AM

I always go into race day fresh and feeling very good.  However, I just can't find my speed on the bike and I feel myself fading after about 20 miles.  As far as recovery, this time around, mainly because of the blisters on my feet, I have taken a full 4 days off with no training.  That leaves time for one session with each discipline this week.  I always ease back into training, usually no more than 30 minutes or so at a very easy pace the first week after the race.

I do not have a HR monitor, but am upgrading my Garmin to the 305 (includes hr monitor).  I am also looking for a lab or clinic that will perform the LT tests for me and help me find my "correct" zones.  That will also aid me in the races because I can pace myself based on my HR.

I am going to use the beginner 1/2 IM (20 week) plan here on BT.  I am not really crazy about the plans layout, so I will probebly move some of the workouts around.  I am also very open to other plans if you have a better one.

Thanks for all your help

Todd, you may think you are fresh, but if you "can't find your speed on the bike" and then feel yourself fading, trust me, you are not fresh and ready for the race. While you should certainly feel the effort, if you are properly trained and rested, you should be able to push yourself through to close to the end (learning proper pacing is another component.)

I still think you should take the rest of the week off. However, if you do work out, go very, very slow. Thirty minutes at high zone 2 or zone 3 is not recovery. It should all be zone 1 (or equivalent RPE).

I looked at the beginner HIM plan. I think, actually, it's a fairly good one. If you follow the RPE instructions. Also, I would be inclined to only do two workouts a day one or two days a week. Again, it becomes counterproductive if all you are doing is making yourself tired all the time.

My own schedule only has 2 workouts in a single day once a week. My goals right now are to qualify for Nationals and then do an HIM under 6 hours. So, fairly aggressive. But still can have a manageable schedule. When I did IMFL, it was pretty much the same. I simply don't have the time or the energy to schedule two workouts a day, especially during the week. I have to sleep sometime. And the more hours put into working out, the more sleep I need.

Indian Cycle does basal metabolic and max VO2 testing. Pro Bike may do something, too. I am not sure. BT also has instructions for doing your own threshold testing.

I think you will benefit greatly from having the HRM. You will probably find, at first, that to achieve your target zones on the low end (1 and 2) you have to go achingly slow. It's exceptionally frustrating. But if you stick with it, it gets better, and you become more efficient.

2009-06-11 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2207829

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-06-10 11:55 AM My training is going well.  Although I stupidly took up a new "hip-butt-thigh" class on Monday and my hamstrings are still tight/sore.  DUH!!

My first tri (sprint) is this Sunday and I don't know if I'm mentally ready yet.  I keep saying that I'm going to practice my transitions, but it hasn't happened yet.  Maybe I'll go put the baby to bed and do it right now.  (ha-ha easier said than done.)

I'm a little frustrated because the weather in Chicagoland has not been cooperating.  Sounds like the lake is only going to be mid-60's which means a wet suit for me.  Rain is in the forecast too.  Perhaps that will change between now and then.  I've never worn a wet suit before and just this morning borrowed one from a friend.  We'll be doing a short open water Friday morning and then I have an open water chalk-talk to attend Saturday morning.  It's going to be a small group so we will be getting in the water again to practice passing, siting bouys, turning around bouys, etc.

Any helpful hints out there on how to put on or take off a wet suit effectively?

Secondly, I bought new bike shoes and clip-in pedals and fell off my bike a couple weeks ago(still recovering from that).  So off with the bike shoes until I get more comfortable.

I don't think I have any complaints about the run yet.  8^)

My tri-gear hasn't come in so I guess I'm just going to wear my speedo and pull on a pair of shorts for the bike and run.  (I have a gel cover to put on my seat for comfort)

Nutrition is a whole 'nother story.

Now that I've made all my complaints, I really am going to take your advice to heart and try to have FUN!!  It obviously is already going to be a less than ideal situation and I need to be able to roll with the punches.  I have 2 more months until my A race.  I am going to treat this as a learning experience. 

I set my goal according to my current training and from last year's results.
There were over 2,000 women that participated, 200 in my age group.
I would like to be in the top 300 total
Top 30 in my age group
Total time to be less than 1:30:00

Remember...worry about the things you can control and just let go of those things that you can't.

It takes me 10 minutes to wriggle into a wetsuit and almost that long to get out of it. So, I am not the person to ask about quick wetsuit removal. I do know, though, to help keep it from getting hung up on your feet, you should cut the bottom of the legs so they are about mid-calf. Of course, you don't want to do that with a borrowed one.

Nutrition...well, if you're looking at around 1:30 racing time, then it's easy. You really don't need anything other than water during the race. If you can, have a light breakfast at least 2 hours before race start. If you can't, it's no big deal. Sip on some water in the morning and then about 15-5 minutes before start, suck down a gel. During the race, you should be fine with just water and, if you feel you need it, your sport drink of choice, or whatever they are providing on the course. The sport drink should provide more than enough calories for that amount of time as well as any electrolytes you may need to stave off cramps.

If it's going to be hot, sip a sports drink in the morning to get those electrolytes in you. If you have electrolyte tablets, take a couple before the start and maybe one or two more before you start the run.

Your goals sound perfect. You will do fine.

Go, Marsha, Go!

2009-06-12 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2207829

Good Luck!!! Enjoy! and let us know how it went.
Patricia
2009-06-12 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Marsha, Good luck on the race Sunday!!  Have fun, you will do great!  Let us no how well you do!
2009-06-13 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Thank you everyone for the well wishes!!

I made YUMMY whole wheat pasta last night......I have my list of items to pack......heading to registration in a few....I really think I'm ready.

It is POURING down rain right now.  So hopefully that means no rain for tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know how it goes.
2009-06-14 6:02 PM

User image

Prattville
Hey all - Did the Buster Britton Memorial Tri in Pelham AL yesterday.  Race report is up.  I finished exactly MOP in both overall and age group.  Not bad considering I'd never done anything in the rain or on wet pavement before.  Pretty pleased actually.

Anybody doing any long runs lately?  How do you stay hydrated?  I'm looking at getting a fuel belt or a camelbak and just wondering if you have any advice.  

Long run on Thursday for me.  First time over an hour.  Wish me luck.

Cory 
2009-06-14 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Well,  I did it.  I completed my first tri.
I can't believe how well I did!!!
13/243 in age group (wanted to be top 30)
114/1709 total (wanted to be top (300)
I actually won the swim portion of my age group and was 15th overall for the swim.

I felt pretty good throughout.  The run was the hardest.  I wanted to walk so badly.  But I didn't give in and my legs eventually cooperated.  My calves were really tight for the first mile.  Any suggestions on how to avoid that?

I surpassed all my goals.  Final time 1:27:09 (wanted to do better than 1:30:00)

2009-06-14 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2216962

Mars11 - 2009-06-14 9:05 PM

Well,  I did it.  I completed my first tri.
I actually won the swim portion of my age group and was 15th overall for the swim.

I felt pretty good throughout.  The run was the hardest.  I wanted to walk so badly.  But I didn't give in and my legs eventually cooperated.  My calves were really tight for the first mile.  Any suggestions on how to avoid that?

I surpassed all my goals.  Final time 1:27:09 (wanted to do better than 1:30:00)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! now I will be asking you soooo many questions!!! great jooob!!!
Enjoy the triumph!
2009-06-15 6:30 AM
in reply to: #2216747

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-06-14 6:02 PM Hey all - Did the Buster Britton Memorial Tri in Pelham AL yesterday.  Race report is up.  I finished exactly MOP in both overall and age group.  Not bad considering I'd never done anything in the rain or on wet pavement before.  Pretty pleased actually.

Anybody doing any long runs lately?  How do you stay hydrated?  I'm looking at getting a fuel belt or a camelbak and just wondering if you have any advice.  

Long run on Thursday for me.  First time over an hour.  Wish me luck.

Cory 

Congratulations, Cory! It always feels so much better when you can face down the elements.

I always do long runs. They're my bread and butter. Once, summer hits, I start carrying water with me for runs lasting over an hour. I have a water belt that holds a standard sized water bottle. I hate it. However, I hate it less than the other options: a camelback is just too hot for me and the fuel belt with all the little bottles around my waist would make me nuts. Once it's cool again, I find I can easily run up to 2 hours without water. And that makes me happy.

Anyway, it may take trying a few different options to see which works best for you.

2009-06-15 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-06-14 8:05 PM Well,  I did it.  I completed my first tri.

Excellent! Way to not let you head tell your legs what to do!

To this day, my legs are wobbly coming off the bike. I would say to help a bit is to soft pedal the last mile or half mile of the bike leg. 

Another thing to check is how you're pedaling. Make sure your toes aren't pointing down or you're not pushing with your heels. Use your whole foot. (I still need to dig out those drills for Cory...and they also explain how to use your foot on the pedal.)

2009-06-16 1:15 PM

User image

Prattville
Mars11 - 2009-06-14 6:05 PM Well,  I did it.  I completed my first tri.

Congrats!  Outstanding job for any tri, much more so for your first one.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  

of 11