BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-05-12 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2143523

User image

New user
Subject: RE: kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!!
trinity - 2009-05-11 12:06 PM How did everyone's training go this weekend?

Mine went well with a 9 mile long run and a 35 mile long ride.  I am heading into a taper week with my first A race of the year this Sunday.  It will be the first time I've traveled for a race so that is exciting.  I was already getting fidgety this weekend thinking about tapering this week so by Friday the taper tantrums should be in full force.

good luck on your sprint tri.  I see that the lake is going to be cool.

2009-05-13 1:39 AM
in reply to: #2082508

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Tim: good luck this weekend.  Nervous anticipation is the worst.  (and the best)

Kevin, that suxx!!!   Are you going to see a doctor?

2009-05-13 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2144362

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Note to Self: Lesson Learned You Dummy
Mainer22 - 2009-05-11 5:07 PM

OK so I'm following the BT 20 week training plan that allows each activity 3x per week training sessions, with gradual increases each week of no more than 10%.  I've also read, re-read, and re-re-read several threads that emphasize not increasing volume beyond 10%.........

Yesterday I'm jogging on the treadmill, 15 minutes in, and feel a POP (I also "think" I heard it?) in my lower left leg - looking at an anatomy diagram I'd say it's the outer soleus in my calf.  Causing me immediate pain, unable to run, barely able to stand and hobble off the treadmill.  Rest, lots of ICE, elevation, advil, and 24 hours later I'm no better.  Not too happy with the situation. 

Anyway, I'm looking at my training log for the past 2 weeks.  I increased my RUN volume 100%, I increased my SWIM volume 125%, and I increased my BIKE volume 20%.  So much for sticking to the plan, huh? 

Note to Self:  Lesson Learned You Dummy

sorry dude,  hopefully it will get better soon
2009-05-14 4:23 AM

houston
Hey Mainer, sounds like an achilles tendon.  Get it checked out.
2009-05-16 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2147446

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
kenaxford - 2009-05-13 2:39 AM Kevin, that suxx!!!   Are you going to see a doctor?

I ended up taking basically the whole week completely off, except for 1 swim.  I re-aggravated it going down some stairs a couple days after the first time.  It was really really sore all week, deep soreness.  I stretched alot, foam rollered, rested.  If I spent alot of time on my feet it would start to hurt more....BUT I seem to be out of the woods now.  I was due for a recovery week anyway.  I'm going to plan on alternating swimming and biking each day this week and not do any running for at least another week. 

How's everyone else doing?  Anybody experiencing any physical issues regarding training volume?
Any recent race experiences to share with the group? 
2009-05-17 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

no racing stories yet, but I had a killer mtn bike 2 days ago that was 03:15.  The good part was that it was with a new friend and we rode abotu the same level.  The bad part is that the 2nd loop kicked my tail.  I attribute that to my lack of attention to my nutrition.  I only had 3 GU's and a small bottle of water.  This is where coach Ken states "do as I say and not as I do"   

2009-05-18 12:03 PM

Veteran

Well race 2 is in the books.  I had a great time traveling to Lubbock, TX and spending time with my dad.

I finished middle of pack which is what I expected.

The surprise was that I came out of the water in the top 5 (gotta love the wetsuit!).  Of course I didn't get to celebrate that long because the bike is where I struggle.  It didn't help that immediately out of transition was a huge (16% grade I'm guessing) hill which was followed by another (a little less steep but longer) huge hill.  After struggling over those I hit the flat section.  I was ecstatic to discover that the out was into the wind so the back would be wind aided.

I came off the bike pretty tired so I knew the run was going to be tough and it was.  My feet were numb from the cold temps on the bike so I felt like I was running on my ankles.  I managed to get up to my planned pace and held it for the first mile but I soon figured out I wasn't going to be able to hold it.  I kept thinking that I must have missed the turn around because I felt like I had been running forever.  I finally hit the turn around and gutted out the last half finishing fairly strong.

Overall it was an amazing experience (better than the 1st!) and the venue had some nice scenery around the lake.  The downside was that they didn't use timing chips so I don't have accurate splits.  I had my watch but was so caught up in racing I didn't remember to punch it every time I should have.

I am celebrating my great swim and the small improvement in the bike but me and my bike are going to become very good friends for the rest of the season as I struggle to make some decent gains.

2009-05-19 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2158170

User image

New user

Congrats trinity, sounds like you had fun. 

Hey, mainer asking about injury realted issues.  I don't know anything being a newbie but I try to every week spend at least an hour doing yoga.  lots of stretchin.
Coach Ken would know more about this, but it seems to help me.

2009-05-19 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

trinity...   good work.   awesome swim!!!   the longer you train, the more your bike and run splits will catch up to your swimming.  Keep it up.

2009-05-21 10:48 AM

User image

Hi,
congrats on the race result!!! Makes me want to get out there and start racing to!

I have a question for the group. lately while swimming i have been developing massive cramps in my toes, feet and calves when trying to kick a little harder during sprints. I cannot figure out why this is happening? Could it be dehydration, electrolyte imbalances or just not being in good enough shape/not enough practice going fast?

Thanks everyone

2009-05-21 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mouseman, that is a very common problem.  To be honost, I have yet to find a perfect solution with any of my clients.  (and that inlcudes la' Madre

My opinion is that the feeling is attributed to a motion that our body is not designed to do.  It seems to affect most people who are not long time swimmers or perhaps need a little technique work on their kick.

Focus on floppy ankles and initiate the kick from the hips.  Just let the whip go.  Try to keep a steady pace and not over kick your stroke.  A 2 to 1 or even a 1 to 1 kick to stroke ratio is plenty for distance swimmers. 

I know that doesn't really solve your problem, but my 2 cents.

2009-05-21 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Trinity - Just read your race report...Congratulations with your performance!!!  With regards to the bike course and the steep grade, I have used mapmyride.com to plot out my race courses and once the course has been plotted, you can select "view elevation" to see how steep and how long.  May be handy for you in the future.  I use it to rough out training rides from my house too.  If you create a user ID, you can save your ride maps too

Mouseman - My money is on muscles/tendons/ligaments in your lower legs being used in ways you haven't used them before...and being used hard too comparatively.  I had to do some basic calf stretches in between sets when I first started adding yardage to my swim sessions or else I'd find myself halfway across the pool and the cramping would get pretty painful.  I also bought "zoomer" fins and have been working them into my sets at the end of my workout.  They seem to do two things - work the muscles of the lower leg more and stretch the ankles/achilles.

Coach Ken - I haven't run in 11 days due to the calf muscle strain when I was lightly treadmill jogging....My initial thought was the injury was caused by running because I was running at the time.  I have found since then that swimming is not impacted at all, so I've been swimming.  I cycled on the indoor trainer a couple times with no issues whatsoever and the intensity/volume was standard for me.  The other day, I rode outside and a few miles into the ride, started noticing the pain - this time it was pretty much focused directly behind the knee (not behind the kneecap, but on the back side of my leg where the kneecap would be if your leg bent opposite of the way it bends right now Foot in mouth)  the fleshy part, and also down from there into my calf....So I found by lowering pace from about 18mph to 15mph, I was OK if I didn't push hard.  If I hit a lengthly hill or started to get frisky, then the pain would come again....Could this problem have started on the bike or is it just being aggravated because it's a weak area right now??  Maybe a bikefit type thing?

I know you've never seen me or seen me workout, but just give me the correct answer OK?  (joke)
2009-05-22 9:00 AM

Veteran

Thanks for the tip Mainer22.  I have used Mapmyrun before but didn't know there was was a Mapmyride; I'll check it out.  I did go to the venue the day before the race so I knew exactly what was coming but the hills didn't seem so steep in the car Laughing.

I hope everyone has an awesome holiday weekend!

2009-05-22 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2167188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-05-21 7:55 PM Trinity -
Coach Ken - I haven't run in 11 days due to the calf muscle strain when I was lightly treadmill jogging....My initial thought was the injury was caused by running because I was running at the time.  I have found since then that swimming is not impacted at all, so I've been swimming.  I cycled on the indoor trainer a couple times with no issues whatsoever and the intensity/volume was standard for me.  The other day, I rode outside and a few miles into the ride, started noticing the pain - this time it was pretty much focused directly behind the knee (not behind the kneecap, but on the back side of my leg where the kneecap would be if your leg bent opposite of the way it bends right now Foot in mouth)  the fleshy part, and also down from there into my calf....So I found by lowering pace from about 18mph to 15mph, I was OK if I didn't push hard.  If I hit a lengthly hill or started to get frisky, then the pain would come again....Could this problem have started on the bike or is it just being aggravated because it's a weak area right now??  Maybe a bikefit type thing?

I know you've never seen me or seen me workout, but just give me the correct answer OK?  (joke)

The correct answer is to quit crying and push through it   (even bigger joke)

My first thought is bike fit.  Second thoughts is running technique or proper shoe fit.  3rd thought is that you just might have an overuse injury and you might need medical attention.  The only sure fire way to fidn out what is going on is to start the process of elimination.  I would go in the order of cost to find out what is going on > shoe fit and our technique advice, bike fit, doctor.

keep me updated.

2009-05-22 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine

Prior to starting running, I had gone to a highly reputable running store - where they watched me walk and run barefoot, then had me stand on a "scale" that measured where my foot pressure was/wasn't before recommending me several different types of running shoes.  Then they had me test out each one in the store to decide the one I was most comfortable with.  Beyond that, I haven't pushed my run training at all, basic 10 min mile pace just logging volume. 

As to bikefit - is this something that the local bikeshop would do (correctly) or should I be searching for some key word/phrase that would allow me to be confident in their process?  I don't think I've ever adjusted my bike, other than "making sure there is a slight bend in my kneee when the pedal is at the bottom"

Thanks for the continued advice !

2009-05-24 1:13 AM
in reply to: #2168875

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-05-22 3:31 PM

As to bikefit - is this something that the local bikeshop would do (correctly) or should I be searching for some key word/phrase that would allow me to be confident in their process? I don't think I've ever adjusted my bike, other than "making sure there is a slight bend in my kneee when the pedal is at the bottom"

Thanks for the continued advice !

The shoes sound like they shoudl be a good fit.

As for the bike fit:  you are going to have to ask around.  Not every bike shop will have a good fitter.  9even if they claim to be.  Certifications are always a good sign, but not completely necessary.  (I'm a good example of that as I've done a lot of fits along with a lot of studying, practice, and implementation, and I'm not certified)  Specialized, F.I.S.T., Serrota, are all good certifications that show a fitter has put some effort into their education.

2009-05-28 10:50 PM

houston
Finished my 2nd sprint tri last weekend at CapTex in Austin.  Finished 19 out of I think 81 in age group, but I was really disappointed.  Did well with swim and half of bike but I feel like I just kinda caved in after that.  Our wave was the last wave and did not take off until 10 am so by the time I was running it was over 90 degrees.  I tried to get my body to move but it just wold not cooperate.  I ran my slowest run I have ever done in any training or brick.  Worse yet I did not come across the finish line and collapse, meaning I don't feel like I gave it my all.  Oh well there is always the next race.

I must say I have felt terribly weak since the race.  It was just a sprint but I have not felt like training ofr the 3 days since.  Is this normal?  How long do you take to get back to training after a sprint?  There is a local sprint next week, should I get back on the horse, or should I rceover and start preparing for my A race which is the Malibu Olympic in Sept?

2009-05-29 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2180091

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

gpdtx - 2009-05-28 9:50 PM Finished my 2nd sprint tri last weekend at CapTex in Austin.  Finished 19 out of I think 81 in age group, but I was really disappointed.  Did well with swim and half of bike but I feel like I just kinda caved in after that.  Our wave was the last wave and did not take off until 10 am so by the time I was running it was over 90 degrees.  I tried to get my body to move but it just wold not cooperate.  I ran my slowest run I have ever done in any training or brick.  Worse yet I did not come across the finish line and collapse, meaning I don't feel like I gave it my all.  Oh well there is always the next race.

I must say I have felt terribly weak since the race.  It was just a sprint but I have not felt like training ofr the 3 days since.  Is this normal?  How long do you take to get back to training after a sprint?  There is a local sprint next week, should I get back on the horse, or should I rceover and start preparing for my A race which is the Malibu Olympic in Sept?

It sounds to me like you need some recovery time.  How much recovery depends on the person.  some can bounce back the day after, some need a week.

Take an evaluation of your race and the days surrounding your race to see what might have caused the trouble. 

• did you train too much the week of?  did you taper properly?  did you eat normally?  were you hydrated?  what was your nutrition during the race?  how was your effort level compared to your high intensity workotus?  Have you done any speed work in preperation for the event?  etc, etc, etc. 

A race report is always a good thing so you can evaluate all of these things and refer back prior to the next race.

2009-05-30 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
I've been working towards transitioning from my normal continuous flutter kick to a two-beat kick.  The first day, I felt like I was mostly thrashing, all discombobulated, no coordination between arms and legs and breathing, and could feel the burning eyes of David Hasselhoff ready to dive in and save me.....Anyway, it's been a few weeks, and I had a MAJOR breakthrough a couple swim sessions ago - something just fell into place, maybe because of all the mental time I had spent thinking about the actual physical coordination I was trying to hit between the arms/legs/breathing....and I started to get the hang of it!!!!  Mind you, it's still a work in progress and usually a couple of times throughout each lap, my timing and rythem gets "off" and I need to flutterkick to kind of reset things.....

This morning I had to swim, kind of short time, so I figured I'd swim 2x500, focusing on the two-beat kick and a nice even long smooth stroke with a good solid pace (not all out)......My personal best prior to today was 10:17 which WAS an all out thrashfest.  First 500 today was 9:54, Second was 9:33 ! ! ! At the end of both sets, I still had plenty of gas, partly due to my increased swimming volume but partly due to the lower kicks saving me on oxygen use....PROGRESS!!!  Laughing
2009-05-30 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Mainer22, it's definitely encouraging to hear stories like that about swimming. I just need to get in there and do it more. Great job!

I'm excited this morning... I'm getting ready to head out for packet pickup and briefing for my first tri (which is tomorrow morning)!
2009-05-30 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2119229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Mainer22 - 2009-04-29 5:34 PM
kenaxford - 2009-04-29 4:00 PM

great questions.  Based on the things you asked about, I will list the things that I think are most important when comparing gained speed per dollar spent.

1.  Aero bars and a bike fit.  (they have to go together)

2. tri suit - saved time in transition along with better hydrodynamics and aerodynamics

3.  wetsuit - full suit only (no johns) go with mid level or higher, it's worth the extra money.

4.  aero helmet

5.  tri bike

Coach Ken, I need an opinion.  I'm doing 2 sprints this year with the goal to continue at sprint distance in 2010 or perhaps move up a level, either way do more tri's in 2010.  The sprint swim is over pretty quickly and the bike portion at any level is the longest.....I had planned to purchase a one piece tri-suit for around $300 that would help w/ buoyancy and give me blazing transitions.....then I see a craigslist ad for a 2008 Cervelo P2SL, minimal use, looks brand new, for $1500.....

Now obviously the bike won't turn me into Lance Armstrong, not to mention I'd have to sell the purchase to my wife Yell

The trisuit would help the swim and would cover the clothing aspect of the entire race, plus for a sprint would any speed gains from a full wetsuit be lost in transition??

I'm tri-ing to compete, not to complete.  Which one would give me the better time advantage??

2009-05-30 10:33 PM
in reply to: #2182863

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-05-30 7:49 AM
Mainer22 - 2009-04-29 5:34 PM
kenaxford - 2009-04-29 4:00 PM

Coach Ken, I need an opinion.  I'm doing 2 sprints this year with the goal to continue at sprint distance in 2010 or perhaps move up a level, either way do more tri's in 2010.  The sprint swim is over pretty quickly and the bike portion at any level is the longest.....I had planned to purchase a one piece tri-suit for around $300 that would help w/ buoyancy and give me blazing transitions.....then I see a craigslist ad for a 2008 Cervelo P2SL, minimal use, looks brand new, for $1500.....

Now obviously the bike won't turn me into Lance Armstrong, not to mention I'd have to sell the purchase to my wife Yell

The trisuit would help the swim and would cover the clothing aspect of the entire race, plus for a sprint would any speed gains from a full wetsuit be lost in transition??

I'm tri-ing to compete, not to complete.  Which one would give me the better time advantage??

I just want to make sure we are on the same page:  If you are looking to purchase a 1 piece tri suit, they should not have any boyancy, unless it was a speedsuit made just for the swim.  That would make a difference in my response.  I am assuming you are refering to a tri suit made to wear during all three events.

Without knowing too many details, below is my 2 cents:

1 piece tri suit:  hydrodynamic, aerodynamic, no need to change in transition.  (saves loads of time if you are wearing anything floppy or chaning clothes in transition)

tri bike:  longest part of the race, makes aerodynamic positions easier to achieve and saves some energy for the run when compared to a standard road bike.  However, the time savings is completely dependent on the course and your current bike set up.  If most of your races are on hilly courses or have a lot of climbing, you might be better to stick to a true road bike.  Also, if the new bike would allow for a more aerodynamic position, it could reap big rewards, but that depends on your current set up and positioning. 

So long story short:  it depends.  However, I think the tri suit is a better value and would most likely give you larger time savings.

2009-06-01 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2183817

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine

I just want to make sure we are on the same page:  If you are looking to purchase a 1 piece tri suit, they should not have any boyancy, unless it was a speedsuit made just for the swim.  That would make a difference in my response.  I am assuming you are refering to a tri suit made to wear during all three events.

Without knowing too many details, below is my 2 cents:

1 piece tri suit:  hydrodynamic, aerodynamic, no need to change in transition.  (saves loads of time if you are wearing anything floppy or chaning clothes in transition)

OK so something like this: http://www.onetri.com/soto-mens-liftfoil-speedsuit-2009-p-128.html?osCsid=c1038f4b62e3588a49364ec7fc308ac2 

2009-06-01 9:00 PM

User image

New user
I guess I need to keep a log of what I'm eating, somedays I have energy, somedays I'm dragging.
Are there any general guidelines on what I should be eating? 

2009-06-01 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2182860

User image

New user
mattierocks - 2009-05-30 8:43 AM I'm excited this morning... I'm getting ready to head out for packet pickup and briefing for my first tri (which is tomorrow morning)!

Looking forward to hearing how you did.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  

of 11