Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2009-12-21 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2571142

User image

Master
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Group - CLOSED
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-21 11:20 AM

Did some run/walk last night and the ankle is doing a bunch better.  I do need to make sure that I get the brace on for runs.  If I can keep the ankle from twisting, my life is much less painful.

There was a thread on here a bit back where the question was asked - "What is the most important concept in training to get faster on race day?"  Most people said things like "consistency" and "discipline".  I said it was injury prevention.  I still think I'm right.

Don't cause a chronic injury.  It is not worth it.  At the worst you can jog in the pool - zero impact.

2009-12-21 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2555842

User image

Regular
Thanks for the thought on injury. 
2009-12-21 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Well, I made it in the pool.  400 wu, 1500 continuous swim took 33 min. , then sculling for 100 untimed.  then strength.  Still need to do the core w/o here in a few before I take a nap.  And then ride to work the short way.

I felt pretty good.  But now I have the shakes (mostly from the weights).
2009-12-21 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2571291

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
sand101 - 2009-12-21 12:32 PM
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-21 11:20 AM

Did some run/walk last night and the ankle is doing a bunch better.  I do need to make sure that I get the brace on for runs.  If I can keep the ankle from twisting, my life is much less painful.

There was a thread on here a bit back where the question was asked - "What is the most important concept in training to get faster on race day?"  Most people said things like "consistency" and "discipline".  I said it was injury prevention.  I still think I'm right.

Don't cause a chronic injury.  It is not worth it.  At the worst you can jog in the pool - zero impact.

Right on, nothing can derail training like an overuse or plain old injury. 

The water jogging is a good exercise if you can't run.  It'll work your glutes and hip flexors.
2009-12-21 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2571291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
sand101 - 2009-12-21 1:32 PM

I didn't see that thread but I have to agree.  Injury prevention should trump everything.  If your "discipline" causes you to turn what should have been a minor pain into a chronic injury you're going to have serious problems maintaining consistency.  I skipped my run this morning because I just wasn't feeling up to it.  Not in the "wo is me, I'm tired" but I did was pretty beat up from my run and everything else this weekend.  Could I have dragged my butt out of bed and gone running?  Certainly, and I'm sure there are plenty of people that would say I should be more disciplined to maintain consistency.  However, my body was telling me that I needed a rest day and given the fact that I not only feel rested but am eager to go running tomorrow I'm pretty confident that listening to it was the right thing to do.

2009-12-22 4:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
1h 34m 42s10.20 miles09m 17s/Mi
Min HR: 70
Avg HR: 152
Max HR: 164
3:41 AM  M-F 10 Miler (Route Hx)<script type="text/javascript">
Climb: 502 feet
[Lap data][ HR data]
Equipment:

Good 10 mile run.  The weather was great.  Cool and a little breeze.  Rested up and good negative split run.  Will be getting in two bikes in a row before leaving to Charlotte, NC for Christmas.

Lap Data
LapTimeDistancePace/SpeedAHRMHR
109m 48s1.00 miles09m 48s /mile133147
209m 37s1.00 miles09m 37s /mile147151
309m 33s1.00 miles09m 33s /mile149154
409m 19s1.00 miles09m 19s /mile151159
509m 31s1.00 miles09m 31s /mile150153
609m 22s1.00 miles09m 22s /mile152159
709m 07s1.00 miles09m 07s /mile155157
808m 55s1.00 miles08m 55s /mile155158
908m 54s1.00 miles08m 54s /mile159163
1008m 52s1.00 miles08m 52s /mile159163
1101m 44s0.20 miles08m 40s /mile162164

2009-12-22 4:50 AM
in reply to: #2572008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
cornfed - 2009-12-21 8:12 PM
sand101 - 2009-12-21 1:32 PM

I didn't see that thread but I have to agree.  Injury prevention should trump everything.  If your "discipline" causes you to turn what should have been a minor pain into a chronic injury you're going to have serious problems maintaining consistency.  I skipped my run this morning because I just wasn't feeling up to it.  Not in the "wo is me, I'm tired" but I did was pretty beat up from my run and everything else this weekend.  Could I have dragged my butt out of bed and gone running?  Certainly, and I'm sure there are plenty of people that would say I should be more disciplined to maintain consistency.  However, my body was telling me that I needed a rest day and given the fact that I not only feel rested but am eager to go running tomorrow I'm pretty confident that listening to it was the right thing to do.

I agree with you 100%.  I have a friend I work with that started running about 6 months ago and has been hurt twice already trying to get faster.  I have learned at age 49 and soon to be 50 that you should listen to your body and lean toward caution.  For me I want to be in this for the long run.  I would rather take a little longer to run faster or a little longer to be able run longer instead of pushing my body with the I am superman attitude you mention above.  That is just my attitude at this stage in my life.  Don't mistake that for not wanting to get better and faster. I am just willing to take more time to get there at this time in my life.   I have worked hard to get where I am now and do not want to be injured if I take a day off because I think my body needed it and it did not,  I dont worry about it.  Just good steady progress is what I am looking for at my stage in Triathlons. 
2009-12-22 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2572435

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

ETA: Wrong thread -- sorry!

Edited by wiky 2009-12-22 8:08 AM
2009-12-22 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Oh No! Woke up around midnight in agony, sick as a dog. Spent several hours on the can with a trash can between my legs. Not sure if it's something I ate, or if I've got some kind of virus. Still feeling pretty rough. Can't keep anything down. On the bright side, I lost 4 lbs overnight!
2009-12-22 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2572762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2009-12-22 9:59 AM Oh No! Woke up around midnight in agony, sick as a dog. Spent several hours on the can with a trash can between my legs. Not sure if it's something I ate, or if I've got some kind of virus. Still feeling pretty rough. Can't keep anything down. On the bright side, I lost 4 lbs overnight!

You can probably log this.  There are a surprising array of "sports" you can choose from in the log...
2009-12-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2572620

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
wiky - 2009-12-22 8:06 AM

ETA: Wrong thread -- sorry!

It's okay Rob.  Kona Qualifiers are also welcome!

2009-12-22 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
OMG, 16 hours later, and I think I'm dying. Didn't know I had this much puke and crap in me. Obviously, no workout today.
2009-12-22 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2574168

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Man I hope you are okay.   I am traveling to Charlotte Thursday and the son in law and grandson are sick.  I will be washing my hands frequently while I am there.
2009-12-22 6:29 PM

User image

Regular
Rode to work last night.  When going home, got all dressed and had a flat (and a dentist appointment).  Called my wife, who arrived with our Subie chase vehicle.  Fixed the tire, and am riding the long way tonight I think.  Freezing fog in the morning, so I may have to call for help in the morning again.  Didn't run today.  I had to decide between survival sleep and a run.  Swim --strength tomorrow.
2009-12-22 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Who here is using a HRM while training?  I have one but I don't really pay attention to it.  That's mostly because I don't have a good handle on what my HR zones should be.  I spend a lot of time around 165 onwhat I would consider (based on perceived exertion) to be zone 3/aerobic.  But based on my HR zones that 80-90% or zone 4.  For what it's worth I used the Karvonen method with resting HR of 61 (measured when I first got my HRM back in August) and max heart rate based on the 208-.7*age(30) formula.

I'd like to figure out what my HR zones should be (without doing some threshold testing).  I'm also open to the possibility that the zones are correct and that I'm just running too hard all the time. 

Thoughts? Comments?
2009-12-22 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2574341

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2009-12-22 7:44 PM Who here is using a HRM while training?  I have one but I don't really pay attention to it.  That's mostly because I don't have a good handle on what my HR zones should be.  I spend a lot of time around 165 onwhat I would consider (based on perceived exertion) to be zone 3/aerobic.  But based on my HR zones that 80-90% or zone 4.  For what it's worth I used the Karvonen method with resting HR of 61 (measured when I first got my HRM back in August) and max heart rate based on the 208-.7*age(30) formula.

I'd like to figure out what my HR zones should be (without doing some threshold testing).  I'm also open to the possibility that the zones are correct and that I'm just running too hard all the time. 

Thoughts? Comments?

I use HR on the run and HR/power on the bike. 

What's wrong with Threshold Testing?  It's the cheapest way and pretty accurate.   Here is a link from this website on how to test.  It also talks about the 220 -age thing.

I had blood lactate testing and VO max test done last year.  The info I gained from those test really help me last year.  I've ordered a lactate meter and I'm going to retest and do a field test to compare.

No Pain no Gain!

2009-12-22 9:13 PM

User image

Temple City
Heart rate and swimming.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 for running and bike riding, but it specifcally says that it is not for swimming.

How you guys monitor your heart rate while you are swimming? Or do you?

Thanks,
Bob
2009-12-23 6:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Got the wife off to Charlotte, NC for Christmas.  I fly out Thursday afternoon.  I missed my workout this morning and will try and get something in tonight.  I didn't like the weight scale this morning.  I have put on a couple of pounds that last two weeks.  I have to get back to a more regimented diet.  To much temptation around.  The next week will be a good test to my fortitude with Christmas and New Years.  I have many friends coming in for New Years to stay at the house and go see LSU play Penn State.  I will have to insure I work in my workouts around this and dedicated to eating right.  Stay tuned and I will let you know how I did.  Putting it on this blog and the mentor group could help shame me into getting through the next week!  Feel free to comment and tell me to suck it up and get after it!
2009-12-23 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2574457

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
I use a Garmin 305 as well.  I have thought about doing the test to get a good reading on HR and setting up zones correctly.  I use the reading off the HR monitor when training and I set up my thresholds based of the fastest 5K I ran about a month ago.  I am sure it is not real accurate but it came in higher than the 220- the age.  Which everything I read says that is not accurate at all.  I use the HR for more of a gage on my effort.  This works for me good and bad.  Good because I can relate to how I feel vs the HR reading bad in that sometimes I look at the number and tell myself to back off a little and sometimes I probably wouldn't need to. 

2009-12-23 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2574441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2009-12-22 9:55 PM

What's wrong with Threshold Testing?  It's the cheapest way and pretty accurate.   Here is a link from this website on how to test.  It also talks about the 220 -age thing.

I know the 220-age rule doesn't work.  Runners world had a different formula, 208-0.7*age, which is supposedly more accurate but I'm not so sure.  I didn't say there's anything wrong with threshold test, just halfheartedly avoiding it for several reasons. 

One, I don't think it would have made much sense to have done it when I started running.  I read the article you cited and figured that thirty minute time trial would probably have killed me at that point, which seemed counter productive. 

Two, if you look at my log my average HR is only a few beats above what I figure should be zone 3.  I've gotten into a pretty steady routine and don't want to risk injuring myself or throwing off my weekly training if it's only a minor tweak.

Third, I just can't convince myself that it matters.  There are a lot of people on this board that talk about this or that training zone, they post the results of there testing with their coach, etc. (I'm not talking about you or the other people in this group, fyi).  But when I look at their logs and race reports I wonder how much of a difference it really makes.  I realize this probably sounds arrogant but I'm an engineer so I need supporting data. 

I noticed that you knocked almost three hours off your IM time from 2008 to 2009.  That's pretty impressive to a guy who ran his first half marathon (prior to BT so it's not in my race log) in 2:30.  Did you use a HRM while training for both?  Do you think that was due to experience or better fitness because you trained more effectively with you HRM?  Bascially I'm looking to be convinced that doing the threshold testing will pay off over the long haul and is worth what I see to be a risk to my current training (which seems to be working). 

No Pain no Gain!

That's what I was afraid of...
2009-12-23 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2574821

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2009-12-23 8:01 AM
BamaDC - 2009-12-22 9:55 PM

I know the 220-age rule doesn't work.  Runners world had a different formula, 208-0.7*age, which is supposedly more accurate but I'm not so sure.  I didn't say there's anything wrong with threshold test, just halfheartedly avoiding it for several reasons. 

One, I don't think it would have made much sense to have done it when I started running.  I read the article you cited and figured that thirty minute time trial would probably have killed me at that point, which seemed counter productive. 

Two, if you look at my log my average HR is only a few beats above what I figure should be zone 3.  I've gotten into a pretty steady routine and don't want to risk injuring myself or throwing off my weekly training if it's only a minor tweak.

Third, I just can't convince myself that it matters.  There are a lot of people on this board that talk about this or that training zone, they post the results of there testing with their coach, etc. (I'm not talking about you or the other people in this group, fyi).  But when I look at their logs and race reports I wonder how much of a difference it really makes.  I realize this probably sounds arrogant but I'm an engineer so I need supporting data. 

I noticed that you knocked almost three hours off your IM time from 2008 to 2009.  That's pretty impressive to a guy who ran his first half marathon (prior to BT so it's not in my race log) in 2:30.  Did you use a HRM while training for both?  Do you think that was due to experience or better fitness because you trained more effectively with you HRM?  Bascially I'm looking to be convinced that doing the threshold testing will pay off over the long haul and is worth what I see to be a risk to my current training (which seems to be working). 

No Pain no Gain!

That's what I was afraid of...

First off I didn't mean for my words to come across harsh.  I agree with you about testing when you start running.  When I started running/jogging back in 05, I did it because it was fun. 

When I was training for my first IM I used this approach(fun).  After I finished IMKY in 08, I wondered how much I could improve.  I used a coach from Nov08-May09, then it got well not fun.  Training used to be a joy, then it was like a job. So I went back to doing my own thing.  It worked out okay.

For me the formula is 9 bpm below actual.  So in my case testing is helpful, but I'm trying to squeeze everything I can out of myself.  I also need to see supporting numbers/data.  That's why I use GPS for the Run and a Powermeter on the bike.  I can pull up files from last year and compare my fitness.  HR/pace or HR/power.  Example, this time last year my bike functional threshold power was 250 watts.  This year it 272 watts.

As for my gains from 08 to 09, it was a combination of building on previous fitness and training more efficiently. 

Bottom line is you should be having FUN.  What type of engineer are you?

2009-12-23 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2574907

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2009-12-23 9:29 AM

First off I didn't mean for my words to come across harsh.

Harsh?  I cut my teeth on usenet.  This forum is so warm and fuzzy by comparison it's almost sickening at times. ;-)

I agree with you about testing when you start running.  When I started running/jogging back in 05, I did it because it was fun.

When I was training for my first IM I used this approach(fun).  After I finished IMKY in 08, I wondered how much I could improve.  I used a coach from Nov08-May09, then it got well not fun.  Training used to be a joy, then it was like a job. So I went back to doing my own thing.

This is pretty much where I'm at.  I haven't gone the coach route (except for isolated sessions with a swim coach) because I don't want this to loose it's fun appeal.  But at the same time I feel like I should be able to do better.  I don't feel at all like I'm near a plateau but I do feel sufficiently comfortable that maybe it's time for a change.  Hence the reason I'm starting to think about this contraption I've had wrapped around my chest for the last few months.

So in my case testing is helpful, but I'm trying to squeeze everything I can out of myself.  I also need to see supporting numbers/data.  That's why I use GPS for the Run and a Powermeter on the bike.  I can pull up files from last year and compare my fitness.  HR/pace or HR/power.  Example, this time last year my bike functional threshold power was 250 watts.  This year it 272 watts.

Right now the most useful piece of equipment I have for collecting data seems to be my bathroom scale.  For example,

July: 240 lbs, max run length 3-3.5 miles, pace 10-10:30 min/mile
Today: 210 lbs, 6.75 miles @ aprox 8:50 min/mile

I feel like those 8:50 miles can get better but the bathroom scale is only going to take me so far.  After than I figure it will come down to training effectively.  That's the part that has me thinking.  I watched a friend hurt himself and be forced to take a long time off training because he pushed himself too hard too soon.  Looking back I think I was headed that way on the bike this fall.  A HRM montitor seems like it would be a very good tool to guard against this.  Only problem is that the evidence I currently have is either anecdotal or inconclusive (based on what I'm seeing personally with my runs).    

Maybe I should just suck it up and do a test.  I normally have a tempo run scheduled each week.  Would it make since to try to figure out a way to combine the test with that workout?

What type of engineer are you?

Electrical. But I don't know anything about circuits. ;-)
2009-12-23 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
Drew, did you mean 208 - (0.7*age)?

insert segue here.

Everybody:

Can you all help me.  I have been having trouble getting home every morning (I drive a truck for FedEx).  At about 230 am, everymorning, I wind up stopping for free coffee at a certain truck stop (but then I also buy a donut and some doritos or something--bad news).  I need some snack ideas that will keep me awake (carrots and cucumbers have become torture).

My continual weight loss thanks you,

Wade

2009-12-23 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2575146

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-23 11:05 AM Drew, did you mean 208 - (0.7*age)?
  Yes, age being 30 at when I worked out the ranges.

Can you all help me.  I have been having trouble getting home every morning (I drive a truck for FedEx).  At about 230 am, everymorning, I wind up stopping for free coffee at a certain truck stop (but then I also buy a donut and some doritos or something--bad news).  I need some snack ideas that will keep me awake (carrots and cucumbers have become torture).

Try nuts or trail mix.  I got a lot of crap from people when then found out that I was snaking on nuts after claiming to be trying to eat better.  It is true that they are high in fat (which is high in calories), however they are some of the essential (ie healthy) fatty acids.  I found that a small handful of nuts was very effective at taking the edge off of hunger between meals.  I will warn you that this can backfire if you're the kind of person who can't just take a small handful and be done with them.  If you are I'd suggest only taking a small amount with you.   

That said, my personal opinion which I have not real evidence to support is that if you're occasionally going to eat more than you intended having something healthly like nuts or trail mix is better than the same amount of extra calories from donuts or chips.

Ps And by nuts I mean plain (or very lightly salted) nuts like almonds or walnuts.

Edited by cornfed 2009-12-23 10:55 AM
2009-12-23 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2575076

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

Drew,

I've been on this site since 04 under this screen name and a previous.  I remember when some of the current people with big egos were greenhorns.  I'm not going to name names.  The trend seems to be start out racing, get your coaches certification and then have contest on the internet.  I've got a great friend I meet on BT, we live less than a mile from each other and we trained for IMKY together back in 08.  He's quit posting because of several of the above mentioned people.

The scale is a very useful tool.  It varies from source to source, but you can gain 1-3 seconds per mile for every pound of body fat you loose.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 25