BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-01-12 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL

Hello Rochelle,

I have got a question regarding the different type of runs.

Currently there is a lot of talk about the specificity of your run. The times are over where you just headed out the door for a run - nowadays it seems that each run needs to be very specific: long run, medium long run, tempo run, VO2max intervals, etc.

What do you think of the concept of a "General Aerobic Run"? I have recently read a book (Pfitzinger, P., Advanced Marathoning, Human Kinetics, 2009), where the author recommend that type of run "...to enhance your overall aerobic conditioning through boosting your training volume"

The run should be

• Slower than your lactate threshold runs
  • Shorter than your medium long rung and
  • Faster than your recovery runs

Given that my Half Marathon is in April, I planned to have a kind of Base period for two month. Not a lot of intensity (so no treshold runs, speed runs, intervals, etc.) but one long run, whose lenght I increase about 10 minutes each week, and then I wanted to add these "General Aerobic Runs" twice or three times a week.

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2604812

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training
That is a good story!  A heart rate monitor should assist you in your training...not allow you to do it.  If you ever get to the point that you can't run with out your watch then you are addicted to a tool is using you and you should consider wiening your self from it.  That being said, I love my watch, I find it motivational and it makes my workouts more enjoyable but I can race, run and ride with out it.

YouYou - 2010-01-09 9:08 AM

Hi Rochelle,

I am definitely interested in following it and above all, which direction you will take given the amount of different concepts, opinions, discussions, etc. regarding the set up of training zones.

Currently I take my average heart rate for a 10 k run and using this heart rate, I have established my training zones using the table provided in most of the "Velo Gear" books (Training Bible, Perfect Distance, etc.).

LSD in zone 2, Tempe runs close to my Threshold, etc.

But I am trying NOT to be a slave of my HR monitor, but link the reading during a run to my RPE, as well. I think it is very important to get a good feel for your body.

Little anecdote: I was working in a sport store. So we had clients whose HR monitor was broken, or needed a new batteries, etc., and we had to sent it to the manufacturer. I swear there were people almost panicking: "Oh gosh, what shall I do without my watch???"    "Well sir, I would recommend you just go running!!!"  

I have sometimes the feeling that athletes are getting TOO dependent on all the gadgets.

Take care

YouYou

[/QUO-->

Edited by wyldhair 2010-01-12 12:25 PM
2010-01-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2605140

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training
Count me in Rochelle.  I've done a running maxHR before but it was ~3 years ago.  I doubt it's still valid.  Me no like maxHR tests.   It hurts, Rochelle. Cry Still, I know it's a necessary thing.  I'll follow the thread and just hope my ankle gets better so I can actually participate instead of just reading along.

Thanks.

Vic

Hopefully you will find the tests I offer to just as accurate and not as painful as most of the 20minute stress tests....  Of course, if you want a very accurate highly painful method I have those available to offer too.. 
2010-01-12 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2602799

User image

Mammoth Lakes
sesh - 2010-01-08 8:07 AM

Ok, so I'll just go ahead and bow out of the HR "class" but it doesn't mean I'm not interested.  I've just always trained with RPE and it seems to work for me when I actually stick to a plan.  In fact, the only piece of electronics that I use is a cyclocomputer with distance, speed, time, and cadence.  I don't even wear a watch a when I run, I just sorta guesstimate how long it took me to run.  I don't even use the pool clock unless I'm doing a timed mile or something.  I count rest intervals on my fingers.

That being said, I'd like to watch others fiddle around with a HRM and see how it goes.  I'm planning on repeating two week cycles over and over and over, increasing intensity and duration as I go.  I have a feeling that adding a HRM to this would probably be extremely useful... once I actually acclimate myself to a structure.

I wanted to tell you that I loved your interval counting methods...I would be interested in knowing how you count rest intervals on your fingers.... My Hubby said that was the best training program that he has heard of in years. 
The best program is the one that works for you... keep at it.

Rochelle
2010-01-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2609830

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

wyldhair - 2010-01-12 12:33 PM
sesh - 2010-01-08 8:07 AM

Ok, so I'll just go ahead and bow out of the HR "class" but it doesn't mean I'm not interested.  I've just always trained with RPE and it seems to work for me when I actually stick to a plan.  In fact, the only piece of electronics that I use is a cyclocomputer with distance, speed, time, and cadence.  I don't even wear a watch a when I run, I just sorta guesstimate how long it took me to run.  I don't even use the pool clock unless I'm doing a timed mile or something.  I count rest intervals on my fingers.

That being said, I'd like to watch others fiddle around with a HRM and see how it goes.  I'm planning on repeating two week cycles over and over and over, increasing intensity and duration as I go.  I have a feeling that adding a HRM to this would probably be extremely useful... once I actually acclimate myself to a structure.

I wanted to tell you that I loved your interval counting methods...I would be interested in knowing how you count rest intervals on your fingers.... My Hubby said that was the best training program that he has heard of in years. 
The best program is the one that works for you... keep at it.

Rochelle

For example, one of my favorite swim workouts I ever did had a main set of 20x100 just below max effort with 5 second rest.  (Did I say favorite?)  I don't count my actual 100 times on my fingers.  I didn't really care what my 100 times were.  I just know what a 100yd sprint feels like and I dropped it one gear.  Touch the wall, count 1 Mississippi.. two Mississippi.. up to 5, go again.

I've timed myself with the pool clock a few times in a 1000 yd test, and I actually did a Masters class for a while and our coach would time us at various distances.  Basically, I've found interval sets like the one I mentioned, drills (including kick work), and the butterfly are what worked for me. 

2010-01-12 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2609698

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

YouYou - 2010-01-12 11:39 AM

sesh - 2010-01-09 10:03 PM

Mississippi Blues Half Marathon

Race Report has gone live! 

Hello Bill,

Congratulations!!! Running a Half at this temperature is tough!

How do you feel? Hope the recovery is going as expected.

Take care

YouYou

I feel strangely good.  The hills wore the legs out a bit, but I think the weather acted as a natural ice bath.  I'm just doing my normal recovery and spinning on the trainer each morning.  Haven't tried running again yet, but I guess I'll know how recovered I am when I finally suck it up and go do that.

2010-01-12 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2608150

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -OPEN
TeddieMao - 2010-01-11 12:54 PM
wyldhair - 2010-01-07 7:13 PM
TeddieMao - 2009-12-21 9:25 PM

Please Mentor Me!!

Teddie Mao/Ted

Married, 2 kids (1 1/2 and 5)

Have done a few triathlons but not very well.  I STRUGGLE with the swim.  Total lack of confidence in my ability!

Only did one this year and it turned into biathlon(?) - St. Anthony's

Initially lost about 35 when I first started training but have gained 10 back.

I am not going to win anything but I would like to do well!

Ted please feel free to participate in this thread! We haven't heard from you in a while?

Sorry everybody, kinda been in a little funk, physically and mentally.  Trying to set some goals for myself.  My swimming is bad.  So I signed up for a class starting in March.  I'll to be a little vocal.

I struggle with the swim too.  The good news is that it is more form than fitness, the bad news is that it is more form than fitness.  I think that the March class will be a good thing for you.

Something I had a good experience with is the Total Immersion Swim books and Cd's.  I do not agree with all of his form and swimming programs for really fast performance but baby steps ehhh??? For the first 2 months of learning how to swim, I went to the pool and spent 75 -100% of entire time in the pool doing the drills in the book.  I didn't do much "swimming" as I really didn't know how.  Then when I started to swim and actually got live instruction a few months later, the instructor was correcting my timing and tweaking my interpretation only.  2 months of drills and struggling and near drowning and then after 2 weeks of lessons the entire outlook changed for me.  The instructor told me I had really great basics, I just had to put them together correctly.  Perhaps I would have seen faster improvement by just going  straight to the instructor? Or maybe I was able to get a lot more from the instructor by having really good basics? 

Rochelle
2010-01-12 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2609285

User image

Mammoth Lakes
sesh - 2010-01-12 6:45 AM

For those trying to shed some pounds, I'm going to be keeping a pretty detailed nutrition long on my training blog that you can check out if you'd like.  I'm looking to go from 173 (where I was this morning) to around 155 for a race on June 5th.  I did the same race at that weight two years ago, and it was probably the best race I've ever done.  Of course, it wasn't just because of the reduced weight to lug around.  I was eating right and therefore fueling up well for my training workouts.  I was also sticking to an OLY plan here as religiously as I could.

The weight is only part of it, but in shooting for that goal, the good results gave me a boost in all the other areas of training and taking care of myself.  That's what I'm looking to do again.  I'll be posting what I eat for each meal, the fat/carb/protein mix of each, some recipes, and any other random stuff I think may help.  So, feel free to follow along, take some meal ideas, take some general concepts, etc.

Warning:  I'm no expert in nutrition in any way.  I'm just a dude looking to get healthier and increase my fitness levels.  Don't take what I'm doing as the gospel.

I look forward to hearing about your success!
2010-01-12 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
I'm excited to try the max HR test this weekend.  I've done the 5k test before (actually it was a 10k but a coach told me since I was racing I could use the average for the 10k race) and it hurt.  The 20 minute test sounds ok for the first 15 minutes, but the following 5 minutes I'm sure will be brutal.

On another topic, I've recently been reading about running cadence.  I need to work on my biking cadence because I tend to use more leg muscle and have a lower cadence and I'm thinking I should be doing the opposite.  But biking I feel like I have more control of my cadence with gearing.

But it made me curious about running cadence.  I'm a pretty slow runner.  I had read an article recently about cadence and how the elite runners typically have a cadence of 88 - 96/minute.  This week I counted my cadence while on a treadmill and came up with 80/minute.  I tested some different speeds on the treadmill, and unless I increased the speed to where I was sprinting, my cadence remained @ 80.  Is that how it works, each person has a natural cadence, no matter what pace they are running at?

And how do you increase cadence?  The article mentioned some ways to increase cadence which included leaning slightly forward, and also putting your foot down when it was under you rather than in front of you.  This keeps your momentum moving forward.  I tried those two things and got it to 82/minute, but it felt odd.  Does it become more natural the more you practice it like most things?  Or is it a bad idea to try to change your normal running gait?

How does one get faster running - besides running faster?
2010-01-12 9:17 PM

New user

Houston
OK, bike question.  I found a nice used road bike.  It's kind of a vintage bike if you will but it's in awesome shape and I think I'm going to LOVE it as my first bike.  One thing I did at the shop was get some clipless pedals.  So here's where I think I screwed up.

I pretty much insisted that I wanted the SPD pedals because I REALLY wanted to be able to clip in to the spin bikes at my club which are SPD compatible.  Then I went over to the shoe guy.  He asked me how much riding I was planning on doing.  I told him I was training for a triathlon and hoped to eventually do a LOT of LONG rides and since the shoes can last YEARS (I'm used to how long running shoes last so this was a shocker), he picked out a pair of ROAD shoes for me.  You know, the ones with the hard, plastic sole.

Well, today when I went back to pick up my bike and have them put my cleats on my shoes, the manager said, "You're not going to want these SPD cleats on these ROAD shoes, you won't be able to walk at all.  So, then he suggested since I was riding long and on the road that I change to the ROAD pedals.  (Can you tell I'm confused?) I said I wanted to use the SPD pedals because of the spin bikes at my club.  He said, well, ok, then you need a MOUNTAIN BIKE shoe for those cleats so you can at least walk a little.

Now, I have this really quick road bike that I want to eventually ride for a really long time and I think I should NOT have gotten the pedals and shoes that were made for MOUNTAIN BIKES.

Am I a total dork for having the SPD pedals on a road bike?  Should I have stuck with the Road pedals?

HELP!!!  BTW, I haven't really even ridden the bike so it's not to late to change my mind.
2010-01-12 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2609786

User image

Mammoth Lakes
YouYou - 2010-01-12 10:16 AM

hummm.....General Aerobic Run
"The run should be

• Slower than your lactate threshold runs ....slower than zone 4
  • Shorter than your medium long rung and ...... under an hour
  • Faster than your recovery runs".......    faster than zone 1

So a General Aerobic Run would be under an hour and in zone 2-3.  Which is a pretty relaxed slow paced but some effort pace. 

I've never heard of the term "General Aerobic Run", but from your description that describes 90% of all of my miles. So I would have to say I think highly of the idea.  As for what you are thinking about doing...YES!!!!! That is perfect and exactly what you should be doing!   

Most people spend to much time trying to get intensity (speed) or distance (miles) out of all of the runs they do.  In doing this they make every run a specific run like you described.  But it is really the opposite that you want to do.   In the shortest explanation I can muster..... 80-90% of all miles should be zone 1-3 with most of these miles in zone 2....  just above recovery pace and below a steady sustainable effort.

When you plan your training week you should start by assuming that every day is a "General Aerobic Run" for me this would be a 45minute run in zone 1-2, mostly zone 2.  Then  based on goals, fitness level and your personal weakness you would then change a day to a Long Slow Run- for me this is about 1 1/2hour to 2 hrs and other specific specific runs into for your specific needs or goals.  If distance is your issue then maybe you would do a medium long run (for me 1hour, same pace as my general run.  Dependant on your personal ability you may even remove a day or change it to a recovery run (for me 45 min zone 1)

Here is an example of a base work out schedule for a fit experienced athlete running 6-7 days a week (50-60miles):
Sunday  1 1/2hr zone 1-2 run
Monday  30-45min zn 1 run or day off
Tuesday  45 minute zone 1-2 or zone 3 tempo run interval up to 20 minutes
Wednesday 45 minute zone 1-2 or zone 1 recovery
Thursday 45 minute zone 1-2
Friday 60min zone 1-2
Saturday 45 minute zone 1-2

As you see almost all of the workouts are General Aerobic Runs.  Later in the season  Tuesdays and Thursdays may become more specific, but then Wednesday, Saturdays  and Mondays will be come more and more recovery based.

Did I help answer your question?  Or did I make it more confusing?

2010-01-13 12:10 AM
in reply to: #2610828

User image

Mammoth Lakes
karen26.2 - 2010-01-12 7:15 PM I'm excited to try the max HR test this weekend.  I've done the 5k test before (actually it was a 10k but a coach told me since I was racing I could use the average for the 10k race) and it hurt.  The 20 minute test sounds ok for the first 15 minutes, but the following 5 minutes I'm sure will be brutal.

On another topic, I've recently been reading about running cadence.  I need to work on my biking cadence because I tend to use more leg muscle and have a lower cadence and I'm thinking I should be doing the opposite.  But biking I feel like I have more control of my cadence with gearing.

But it made me curious about running cadence.  I'm a pretty slow runner.  I had read an article recently about cadence and how the elite runners typically have a cadence of 88 - 96/minute.  This week I counted my cadence while on a treadmill and came up with 80/minute.  I tested some different speeds on the treadmill, and unless I increased the speed to where I was sprinting, my cadence remained @ 80.  Is that how it works, each person has a natural cadence, no matter what pace they are running at?

And how do you increase cadence?  The article mentioned some ways to increase cadence which included leaning slightly forward, and also putting your foot down when it was under you rather than in front of you.  This keeps your momentum moving forward.  I tried those two things and got it to 82/minute, but it felt odd.  Does it become more natural the more you practice it like most things?  Or is it a bad idea to try to change your normal running gait?

How does one get faster running - besides running faster?

I actually have a lot to say about cadence and I don't think I can say it in a short answer....
so Karen you asked for it:     I am sorry.  First let me say that I started working on my cadence  and gait in 2008. I have never had any injuries or issues run up to 80 miles a week, I just wanted to improve form and efficiency if I could.  And I was able to and had a pretty major break through in form, cadence and efficiency and I also got plantar fascitis when only running 20 miles a week.  Oddly enough, after suffering through a progressively worsening situation I finally got advice from some to top marathon trainers living in my home town and they recommend I change my form, cadence and gait to the "new" way I was trying to incorporate.  Did I get injured because I changed my gait or was it going to happen anyway??  I don't know for sure but there is a good chance of it being related. Particularly because plantar fascitis is becoming associated with tight hip flexors and calf muscles and the new way of running does make my hips a little tight and I tend to have tight calves. But even after going through the process and the injury I still have to say there is a benefit and if you can incorporate it into your style slowly and with awareness, you may get a noticeable improvement.  Also a fair warning to everyone reading what I have to say on this topic: most of what I have to say on the subject is my own personal observations or my opinion based on conversations I have had with some elite trainers and coaches. 

There does seem to be a lot of merit to cadence in running and it is getting more and more attention.  The vast majority of elite runners do run at 90.  I sometime use the polar rs800 running watch, it has a cadence function and says I run all of my runs between 86 and 92.  My races are at exactly 90.  The professionals that study this don't really know if f this is coincidence or not.  And so far, I haven't heard any data on what the average cadence of a sub-elite or back of the pack runner is.  But I have discussed this with one of the elite development trainers in Mammoth this past summer.  Some of the reasons that elite runners have a faster cadence is directly attributed to how they run.  A person that runs from the toe, meaning they push off hard with their toe has a slower cadence because it takes more time to roll over the foot and then the foot has to be brought up (higher) and then  back to the forward position and then to the front, usually in a higher knee up stride.  A person who runs from the ball of the foot, propels them self more from the hip and keep the foot closer to the ground at all times and the foot doesn't have to travel as far to get back in front of the hip.  The faster distance runners tend to be those that run from the hip and therefore they also have a faster cadence.    I am an anomaly.  I run more from the toe than most elite runners but I have a very fast powerful leg snap...  Is is a coincidence that I still end up with the same cadence as the other elite runner???  I personally don't think so.  There is an efficient cadence for cycling both for power and for endurance and oddly enough it is about 90 to 95. The mechanics of the cycling allow for a higher cadence but still the most efficient is still at 90. I don't think that this has been fully explored yet.

I have actually spent a fair amount of awareness on my style, foot patterns and cadence this last year so I can tell you that yes you can change your cadence and it can improve your running.  It isn't something that is going to happen overnight and you shouldn't want it to happen fast. Quick changes don't allow your body to adapt and you will end up being injured due to imbalance.

So, Here is what I recommend doing to improve running for and thus cadence:
Before you go running stand straight and lift your toes up.  Lift them keeping your heel on the ground and the foot straight.  You should feel the lift coming from your shin.  With your toes up swing the leg up from the hip not the knee.  But it is okay to bend the knee.  Swing the leg up 10 times.  then do the other leg.  This will help teach your toes to stay up, will strengthen your frontal tibial is (shin) and will engage your hip flexors in the motion of bringing your foot forward. 
You can do this before all of your runs and is a good exercise to do anyways.

Next. Pick a running day where you are not fatigued and you don't expect the run to make you really tired. (don't do this on a long run or interval / tempo day)  Run normal and in the middle of your run focus on the left leg, counting the number of steps you take with the left leg only, your goal is to have 30 steps in 20 seconds.  The simple act of counting will help speed it up a little, the rhythm of the average person counting is about 90 per minute.   hummm... there seems to be a trend here. Be careful not to "run harder" to get a faster cadence. Your heart rate will go up and your pace my increase some but that isn't what we are trying to go for, you want your legs to move faster by efficiency and rhythm not by brute force and effort.   When you get the rhythm figured out, check back every 2-3 minutes to make sure that you are still at 30 steps per 20 sec. It will start to feel natural, eventually because you are finding a rhythm to associate it to.  Don't focus on this for more than 5- 10 minutes the first couple of weeks.  Work your way up to  3 sets of 5 minutes  of doing this.  If you are having a hard time getting the cadence up try incorporating these changes into your run when you trying to pick it up:

Okay a few tips on efficiency...running from the hip. 
 Running from the hip vs running from the toe is about pulling your body forward from your hips...you want to lift the knee with you Psoas Muscle/hip flexors not from the quad.  Imagine that a string was tied to your hip bones and you where running so that the string would not get tight.  This will cause you to straighten out your body, and get your hips in front of your legs and this will let you transfer weight off of you legs faster and will pull your back leg forward faster preventing you from a toe off.  Also be careful when doing this... you will want to take special care of your hip flexors and psoas so they don't get tight from this new form.  Hip flexors are sneaky... you won't know they are tight until long after they have pulled your hips out of alignment, rotation and caused back pain, hip pain and plantar fascitis.  Stretch and massage and trigger point the hip flexors is you have any tendency for tightness here.

I have heard about the suggestions in the article you read about placing your foot under you  and leaning forward.  I understand what they are saying but I think that they are explaining it wrong.  What they mean when they say lean forward is a can of worms and is vague and I see misinterpretation written all over that phrase.  The foot in front issue is also a separate concept that is floating around out there that you no longer want to have a full long stride. The 70's method of striding out is apparently no longer in fashion.  But if you watch the elite athletes they are still doing it. What they are trying to say is get you hips forward and  use your hip flexors sot hat you do not lift your knee so high.  Try that and see if that feel more comfortable.

Now your final question... How do you run faster other than by running faster?   Oddly enough, the best way to run faster is to run slower.  No Kidding.   This is actually one of the main reasons I wanted to do the HR thread.  Most people run way to hard on all of there runs.  I just coached a high school girlfriend through her second half marathon.  she suffered through her first and had bad IT Band issues the entire time.  I cut her mileage down by 33% and slowed all of her runs by 2 minutes/mile.  I can tell you that she was freaking out the entire training period, to stay in the HR zones I gave her she had to walk anything that closely resembeld an incline. I know she secretly was sure that she wasn't even going to finish.  She ended up running 11 minutes faster with a final time of 2:04 and didn't have any IT band issues.

Okay, was that way more information than you wanted to know about cadence?
2010-01-13 12:40 AM
in reply to: #2610837

User image

Mammoth Lakes
vickaiser - 2010-01-12 7:17 PM OK, bike question.  I found a nice used road bike.  It's kind of a vintage bike if you will but it's in awesome shape and I think I'm going to LOVE it as my first bike.  One thing I did at the shop was get some clip less pedals.  So here's where I think I screwed up.

I pretty much insisted that I wanted the SPD pedals because I REALLY wanted to be able to clip in to the spin bikes at my club which are SPED compatible.  Then I went over to the shoe guy.  He asked me how much riding I was planning on doing.  I told him I was training for a triathlon and hoped to eventually do a LOT of LONG rides and since the shoes can last YEARS (I'm used to how long running shoes last so this was a shocker), he picked out a pair of ROAD shoes for me.  You know, the ones with the hard, plastic sole.

Well, today when I went back to pick up my bike and have them put my cleats on my shoes, the manager said, "You're not going to want these SPD cleats on these ROAD shoes, you won't be able to walk at all.  So, then he suggested since I was riding long and on the road that I change to the ROAD pedals.  (Can you tell I'm confused?) I said I wanted to use the SPD pedals because of the spin bikes at my club.  He said, well, ok, then you need a MOUNTAIN BIKE shoe for those cleats so you can at least walk a little.

Now, I have this really quick road bike that I want to eventually ride for a really long time and I think I should NOT have gotten the pedals and shoes that were made for MOUNTAIN BIKES.

Am I a total dork for having the SPD pedals on a road bike?  Should I have stuck with the Road pedals?

HELP!!!  BTW, I haven't really even ridden the bike so it's not to late to change my mind.

You are most definitely NOT a dork.  I can say this because I rode for years with a SPD/Mountain bike setup on my road bike.  Many people prefer SPD's and some people decide to go with mountain bike shoes for both bikes solely on the decision that they don't want to buy two pairs of shoes.  

The only reason I would make any recommendation for you to consider a different pedal is if you develop knee pain on the bike.  Some clip less pedals have no free float and can be hard on the knees, SPD's are not the worst but if you have pain then there are other options that may help. 
2010-01-13 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Hey Guys,
Just got back from the frigid cold of Orlando, FL.  I'll have a race report up later.  I'm also trying to read the million messages you've all posted so I can get back into the loop. 
2010-01-13 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

vickaiser - 2010-01-12 9:17 PM OK, bike question.  I found a nice used road bike.  It's kind of a vintage bike if you will but it's in awesome shape and I think I'm going to LOVE it as my first bike.  One thing I did at the shop was get some clipless pedals.  So here's where I think I screwed up.

I pretty much insisted that I wanted the SPD pedals because I REALLY wanted to be able to clip in to the spin bikes at my club which are SPD compatible.  Then I went over to the shoe guy.  He asked me how much riding I was planning on doing.  I told him I was training for a triathlon and hoped to eventually do a LOT of LONG rides and since the shoes can last YEARS (I'm used to how long running shoes last so this was a shocker), he picked out a pair of ROAD shoes for me.  You know, the ones with the hard, plastic sole.

Don't worry about it.  Just get a mountain bike, too

Nah.. there are some really cheap road shoes out there that take the SPD cleat.  LINK to one.  I used SPD cleats for about a year and a half when I first got a road bike. 

But... if they'll take the stuff back since you haven't used it, I'd personally recommend some kind of LOOK, KEO, or Shimano cleat.  Hard to explain the difference in the way it feels, but it's just better.  Then, If you are still set on using the SPD system for spin class, just buy an extra pair of cheap shoes and some spd cleats.  I actually had a dedicated pair of spin shoes for a long time.  Then I got a trainer and never went to spin again.

Edited by sesh 2010-01-13 9:20 AM
2010-01-13 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

And we definitely need pics of the bike, Vic!  I love older bikes, and have been wanting to restore one for a while now.  I actually built my tri bike and caught the bug.  It's looking like to expensive of a project right now with the wife only getting part time work and my bonus and retirement contribution going right down the big ol' economic crap bucket this past year.  So, I need to your bike to stay motivated!

2010-01-13 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2611477

New user

Houston
sesh - 2010-01-13 9:33 AM

And we definitely need pics of the bike, Vic!  I love older bikes, and have been wanting to restore one for a while now.  I actually built my tri bike and caught the bug.  It's looking like to expensive of a project right now with the wife only getting part time work and my bonus and retirement contribution going right down the big ol' economic crap bucket this past year.  So, I need to your bike to stay motivated!

This is it.  It's a 1996.  Don't know if that's considered an "older" bike or not but the guys at the bike shop commented as such.

1996 Cannondale
2010-01-13 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2611722

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Oh that is sweet!  Down tube shifters, too!  That is classic and gorgeous.  And it looks in great condition.  The white cable housing is an awesome touch.  I'd wrap the bars in white , but that's just me   When I built my tri bike, I went as white as possible:

Although, I have to confess.  I've actually abandoned the white tape and tires.  Those are red now.  Had to match our tri club kits ya know.  Oh, and my saddle is now a pink ISM Adamo.  Found too good of a deal at a breast cancer fund raiser to pass it up.

Edited by sesh 2010-01-13 1:17 PM
2010-01-13 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2612060

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Vic, Yep that is vintage. But a nice bike all the same. You got a screaming deal and you are sure to get a lot of fun and miles on the bike.  I just gave away a Vintage 1950's euro touring bike to a neighbor down the street.  I could have sold it on ebay for $1-2k,  but I knew the kid (he's 25) would actually ride it.  I love seeing him out riding it and he says he gets a ton of attention for the older population...

On a side note, I find that the colored tires and matching bar tape and saddle make your bike really easy to find in the tri bike racks during races.  look down the rows looking for color wheel...bingo there is your bike.

Rochelle

sesh - 2010-01-13 11:15 AM

Oh that is sweet!  Down tube shifters, too!  That is classic and gorgeous.  Exactly what I want some day.  And it looks in great condition.  The white cable housing is an awesome touch.  I'd wrap the bars in white , but that's just me   When I built my tri bike, I went as white as possible:

Although, I have to confess.  I've actually abandoned the white tape and tires.  Those are red now.  Had to match our tri club kits ya know.  Oh, and my saddle is now a pink ISM Adamo.  Found too good of a deal at a breast cancer fund raiser to pass it up.

2010-01-13 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Rochelle -

Thank you for the detailed explanation of cadence and the info on how to go about changing it slowly.  You really are a wealth of information!

I am going to try to fit the 20 min. HR test in this weekend and calculate my zones using the link you provided.  I'm so curious to see if they are even close to what I had calculated before.

I will report back!
2010-01-13 6:42 PM

User image

Regular

vickaiser - 2010-01-12 10:17 PM OK, bike question.  I found a nice used road bike.  It's kind of a vintage bike if you will but it's in awesome shape and I think I'm going to LOVE it as my first bike.  One thing I did at the shop was get some clipless pedals.  So here's where I think I screwed up.

Hello Vic,

"You're not going to want these SPD cleats on these ROAD shoes, you won't be able to walk at all." - That's just b u l l  s h e e e t!!! (funny, if your write the word in the normal way, the site is filtering it out)

There is not doubt about that walking with road cycling shoes and whatever cleats they have is weird. The duck walk. And it might be worse with the Mountain Bike SPD cleats.

But let's see how much you walk in bike shoes: well, you leave your house, take your bike and start pedaling. Maybe twenty meters? During your tour you have break to drink a coffe. 20 meters? You go to your Spin class. Wear your running shoes, take your bike shoes in your hands and put them on when you are standing next to your spinning bike. 0 meters.

This is exactly what I am doing. I have as well MTB SPD cleats on my shoes.

Bill is absolutley right when he is saying that there a some cheap shoes out there (Nashbar is a good place although I would always like to try bike shoes on - the fit is quite important). But if you prefer spending the extra money on something else, there is no need that your NEED to buy another pedal system.

I admit though, that I have never tried out pedals like Look Keo, Speedplay, etc. So I am not able to comment whether there is a real difference when it comes to cycling.

Take care, and by the way: gorgeous bike!

YouYou

Edited by YouYou 2010-01-13 6:51 PM

2010-01-13 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2612060

User image

Regular

sesh - 2010-01-13 2:15 PM

Oh that is sweet!  Down tube shifters, too!  That is classic and gorgeous.  And it looks in great condition.  The white cable housing is an awesome touch.  I'd wrap the bars in white , but that's just me   When I built my tri bike, I went as white as possible:

Bill,

how do you like your LEADER bike? I have read some pretty good reviews. Looks great!!!

Did you order it online? From what I have understood, LEADER does not have a retailer network and for that reason, they have very good prices.

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-13 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2612675

User image

Mammoth Lakes
karen26.2 - 2010-01-13 4:34 PM Rochelle -

Thank you for the detailed explanation of cadence and the info on how to go about changing it slowly.  You really are a wealth of information!

I am going to try to fit the 20 min. HR test in this weekend and calculate my zones using the link you provided.  I'm so curious to see if they are even close to what I had calculated before.

I will report back!

And you got the abreviated version!!!! No one ever wants to talk about running cadence.  I was so excited to tell someone about it!

2010-01-13 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2612690

User image

Mammoth Lakes
YouYou - 2010-01-13 4:42 PM

"You're not going to want these SPD cleats on these ROAD shoes, you won't be able to walk at all." - That's just b u l l  s h e e e t!!! (funny, if your write the word in the normal way, the site is filtering it out)

YouYou

It was still filtered it out on my mobile update.  big brother

2010-01-14 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2612693

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

YouYou - 2010-01-13 6:50 PM

Bill,

how do you like your LEADER bike? I have read some pretty good reviews. Looks great!!!

Did you order it online? From what I have understood, LEADER does not have a retailer network and for that reason, they have very good prices.

Take care

YouYou

I absolutely love it.  I used Zinn and the Art of Triathlon Bikes to figure out what size frame would be best, though I had a pretty good idea based on my roadie purchases.  Bought the frame and fork online during some sale for like $220 total.  For that price, it really is a quality aluminum frame, and it has the steeper seat angle for a more true tri geometry that I was looking for.  Only thing I don't like is all the damn Leader logos all over it.  I built the rest of it mind with one day getting a naked PlanetX frame or something similar.

I just used ebay to deck it out in new ultegra derailleurs and crank, campy brake calipers, and a SRAM chain.  All brand new and at some really good deals.  I bought the bar set up off of nashbar with one of their discount codes.  The wheels were from Neuvation.  Bought them online and on sale, and they have the bladed spokes.  Checked all kinds of online retailers waiting for good deals on the stem and seat post.  Then I got all the housing and cables at the LBS.  About the only thing I couldn't find a deal on was some 10spd bar end shifters.  So, I bought some 8 spds and just run friction mode to get all the gears.  I actually am loving friction better, and there's never been a need to adjust the derailleurs.

Builiding it starting with nothing and it took about 2 months to get everything in and at a price I was willing to pay.  The entire bike costs just north of $900, wheels included.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17