BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-11 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2783651

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
n.k - 2010-04-11 4:09 PM Completed my first ever race today- a 5K.  My goal was to complete it running at least 10 min/miles.  And I finished it at 29:37!  So I was pretty happy with meeting my goal. 

I'm hoping to get in a swim this afternoon while my son naps.

Congrats on the finish and PR I presume!

2010-04-11 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
n.k - 2010-04-11 5:09 PM Completed my first ever race today- a 5K.  My goal was to complete it running at least 10 min/miles.  And I finished it at 29:37!  So I was pretty happy with meeting my goal. 

Congrats on the first race.  You surpassed your goal - way to go!!!
2010-04-11 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2769357

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Hey everyone, thanks for the encouragement regarding my race.  I was pretty proud of myself!

I just wanted to share a lunch recipe that I plan on using the rest of the week.  As a teacher, I need my lunches to be quick and easy.  So I usually end up going the microwavable lunch route, which isn't the healthiest. 

So, this week I'll be having tortilla lunch wraps.   I just got done making five wraps which will last me the work week.  Based on my calculations, each wrap comes in at a little over 300 calories.  I'll have some peppers and humus or a piece of fruit as my side. 

Here's the recipe: Take 8 oz of light cream cheese and mix in one chopped up jalapeno, a 1/4 cup of chopped red onions, and a 4 oz can of pre-chopped olives.  Spread the mixture over five low-fat tortillas (I like the 'home-made' ones from Trader Joe's) and add two slices of Tofurky deli meat per roll.  I put them all in a bag and will have the in my work fridge for the rest of the week.

Edited by n.k 2010-04-11 9:52 PM
2010-04-12 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2781469

Veteran
crisi13 - 2010-04-09 9:10 PM So, I logged my nutrition for today...that was just pitiful...I had to pick one of the worst nutrition days I've had (in at least a week!) to be the day I started logging!  Not to mention we're having people over tomorrow for a cookout so I know that's going to be horrible!!  

Today and Tomorrow, I'm giving myself big fat ZERO's for nutrition!   

On a high note, I got my amphipod in the mail today and I can't wait to try it out on my next run! 

The overall weekend was not great for my nutrition either!  Went to Charlotte to visit some friends on saturday, did not get a training session in and ate poorly.  I would say a 4 for the weekend.

Will pick it up again this week.
2010-04-12 9:03 AM

Veteran
n.k - 2010-04-11 5:09 PM Completed my first ever race today- a 5K.  My goal was to complete it running at least 10 min/miles.  And I finished it at 29:37!  So I was pretty happy with meeting my goal. 

Great job!  I was extatic when I broke 30 last year.  I don't think I am back to that level yet though, hope to break 25 this year!  I know I can do it if I lose the weight.
2010-04-12 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2781643

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-09 11:00 PM I went to the gym after work today to get in a short swim and weighed myself for the first time in a week and a half.  I came in at 241, meaning I lost 4 lbs!!!  This is the first significant weight loss I've seen in forever.  Then after my swim I weighted myself again (just to be sure the scale wasn't lying) and it read 239!  So I'm going with the average and saying I've lost 5 lbs in the past 11 days!  This is really encouraging to me and will help keep me on the straight and narrow.  Only 40 more lbs to go!

On the nutrition note, I gave away all my cookies that I had in my cupboard to my students today and had a decent day eating.  On Friday nights my family usually goes out to dinner and we choose are local brewery tonight.  Excited about my weight loss, I didn't want to mess it up, so I ordered a veggie burger with mustard and pita & humus as my side (in lieu of fries or tater-tots [which are my favorite thing at the restaurant]).  I washed it down with an unsweetened iced tea (instead of beer or soda).  Pretty exciting.  Then we went to church for a game night and they had pizza, vegetarian chili, soda, and cake and I didn't eat or drink any of it.  I'm pretty proud of myself and hope it contiues.

Sorry, this is sorta reading like a brag post, which is not my intention at all.  I'm just really pumped up and wanted to share. 

Morning guys, I'm playing catchup and want to address many posts so I will do them individually.

Noel, Awesome job on the weightloss and your willpower!  It is not easy to go to a brewery and not have a beer, that is amazing! 

On another notem you inspired me to experiment this weekend with quick pre-made breakfasts, so I successfully made, or replicated my version of Dunkin Donuts Turkey Saysage and veggie egg white flatbread sandwich.  I prepped about a dozen egggwhite patties with homemade turkey saysage, broccoli and greenbeans and individually froze them.  I nuke them for 1:00 then put them on a 1/2 multigrain & flax lavash with 1 slice of reduced fat munster then into the toaster for 2 min and it is good to go!  I estimate the entire thing only has less than 250 calories, good lean protein, high fiber and a little good fat from the cheese.  Very quick, nutritionally balanced, filling and tastes great!  So thank you for the inspiration!   

2010-04-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2782344

User image

Expert
NW NJ
sungirl919 - 2010-04-10 4:09 PM

Well, the run was beautiful this morning... cold, but pretty.  Took a nice neighborhood run and enjoyed the birdies, sun, blue sky, and flowering trees.  We finished our 12 miles in just under 2 hours.  A little off-pace, but MUCH better than last week.  I can only imagine how much better we can do when we're both healthy and have a good night's sleep without coughing!  We're resetting our goal to finish in under 2:15, since our longer distances have been slower than expected.  2:15 will be good, under 2 hours will be great!

However, does anyone else feel like they've been hit with a Mack truck after they've stopped?  I'm ok, but sore running, heart rate is fine, breathing is fine -I'm not sucking wind- but as soon as I stop I just want to throw up so I'd feel better.  The rest of the day I'm off and in la-la-land, kinda zoned out.  (Filled up on carbs and water last night, had toast with jelly in the morning (usually its a banana) and an advil as a pre-emptive strike against minor aches during the run...)

Hope you all had successful Saturdays!

Great run!  Make sure to have something to re-hydrate with after your run to replace the carbs and electrolyers you've lost.  If a 12 mile run doesn't take a lot out of you, you're probably not doing it right!  You are also still a little sick too, I'm sure that plays a huge part. 
2010-04-12 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2781469

User image

Expert
NW NJ
crisi13 - 2010-04-09 9:10 PM So, I logged my nutrition for today...that was just pitiful...I had to pick one of the worst nutrition days I've had (in at least a week!) to be the day I started logging!  Not to mention we're having people over tomorrow for a cookout so I know that's going to be horrible!!  

Today and Tomorrow, I'm giving myself big fat ZERO's for nutrition!   

On a high note, I got my amphipod in the mail today and I can't wait to try it out on my next run! 

Chrissy, Nutrition logs are like tough love, that's why it is good to keep them.  When you have to log that pizza/burger/ice cream/etc. it will make you think twice about consuming it.  I like to work with the notion of NO EMPTY CALORIES.  If what we are eating has no redeeming nutritional value then I don't try not to eat it.  Anything loaded with sugar, bad fats, excess simple carbohydrates etc.  Give your food a meaning, a purpose, use it as fuel for your body.  Believe me, this is much easier said than done and I am no angel.  However I would like to impart some of these tidbits into your minds to be more conscious of the decisions we make. 

BTW, what is a amphipod?

2010-04-12 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2783586

User image

Expert
NW NJ
titeloops - 2010-04-11 4:17 PM Hope everyone is geeting some great trining in this weekend! I got in my 1st OWS of the season today. Forgot how awesome is was to swim in a wetsuit. Close to a mile swim i think. Tried to swim the course from a locl olympic distance race. Made me wonder, any of you have suggestions on how to determine distance on OWS?

Determining distance in OWS's is something I have struggled with.  During the summer I OWS almost every weekend and generally aim for a time goal then guestimate distance.  I'm not really sure there is a good way to determine distance.
2010-04-12 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
OK, time for my update...

I was sick all weekend   It started friday with a headache then progressed into a fever Friday night that didn't break until Sunday afternoon.  I missed my planned saturday bike, but I wasn't going to miss my Sunday run, so I loaded up on advil and head out for a 6 mile run.  Felt fine during the run, It took a while longer to warm up, but the overall run was fine.  However, once I stopped, I immediately felt like garbage, tight chest, achey, feverish.  My 1/2 marathon is this Sunday so I am going to take it easy this week.  Not lifting today and depending on how tonight goes I might even skip my swim tomorrow am.  I want to be 100% for this sunday and I try to not underestimate the benefit of rest.  I need to keep the calories in check though because I am not pulling a 8hr week, my body will not need the extra fuel. 

Nutritionally, I overloaded on Salt this weekend and can feel it.  I give myself a 6.5 overall for the weekend, My main sin was my son cracked open a chocolate bunny on Saturday and I participated in it's inevitable demise!  Poor judgement.  Other than that, my portions were in check and my appetitite was supressed due to whatever virus I have. 

I think we started some great work on nutrition last week and I'd like us to progress on that this week, keeping logs, ratining our days and thanks to Noel maybe pre-making our meals!  Awesome stuff and IMHO, keeps you on the straight and narrow when your meals are prepared! 
2010-04-12 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2784923

User image

Veteran
mchubri` - 2010-04-12 10:34 AM

Chrissy, Nutrition logs are like tough love, that's why it is good to keep them.  When you have to log that pizza/burger/ice cream/etc. it will make you think twice about consuming it.  I like to work with the notion of NO EMPTY CALORIES.  If what we are eating has no redeeming nutritional value then I don't try not to eat it.  Anything loaded with sugar, bad fats, excess simple carbohydrates etc.  Give your food a meaning, a purpose, use it as fuel for your body.  Believe me, this is much easier said than done and I am no angel.  However I would like to impart some of these tidbits into your minds to be more conscious of the decisions we make. 

BTW, what is a amphipod?

I totally agree with no empty calories and am a huge proponent of clean eating...it's just WAY easier said than done!!

Amphipod is the name brand of a hydration belt.  I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but it's amazing.  I barely even noticed it and it was so nice to have water and Gatorade available!!!! 

http://www.amphipod.com/8400/8400.html

2010-04-12 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2785074

User image

Expert
Raleigh
mchubri` - 2010-04-12 10:18 AM OK, time for my update...

I was sick all weekend   It started friday with a headache then progressed into a fever Friday night that didn't break until Sunday afternoon.  I missed my planned saturday bike, but I wasn't going to miss my Sunday run, so I loaded up on advil and head out for a 6 mile run.  Felt fine during the run, It took a while longer to warm up, but the overall run was fine.  However, once I stopped, I immediately felt like garbage, tight chest, achey, feverish.  My 1/2 marathon is this Sunday so I am going to take it easy this week.  Not lifting today and depending on how tonight goes I might even skip my swim tomorrow am.  I want to be 100% for this sunday and I try to not underestimate the benefit of rest.  I need to keep the calories in check though because I am not pulling a 8hr week, my body will not need the extra fuel. 

Nutritionally, I overloaded on Salt this weekend and can feel it.  I give myself a 6.5 overall for the weekend, My main sin was my son cracked open a chocolate bunny on Saturday and I participated in it's inevitable demise!  Poor judgement.  Other than that, my portions were in check and my appetitite was supressed due to whatever virus I have. 

I think we started some great work on nutrition last week and I'd like us to progress on that this week, keeping logs, ratining our days and thanks to Noel maybe pre-making our meals!  Awesome stuff and IMHO, keeps you on the straight and narrow when your meals are prepared! 

Careful Man. 6 Mile run when you were running a fever the day prior could be pushing a little hard. Hope your feeling better. It's taper week anyway!
2010-04-12 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
n.k

I finished it at 29:37!

Congrats, that is awesome!

Edited by cjhild 2010-04-12 3:00 PM
2010-04-12 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2784929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
mchubri`

Determining distance in OWS's

If you have discernable landmarks you could use mapmyrun.com.  I used it for a swim I did that is from one point to another and you can tell both on the map.  Might not work though unless you can tell about where you left and finished.

Edited by cjhild 2010-04-12 3:00 PM
2010-04-12 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Brutal weekend, younger daughter broke off the lower third of her front adult tooth Friday night.  Missed a run there.  Woke up Saturday morning and the refrigerator water supply had broken and flooded the house, missed another run there.  Got in a couple good rides though. 

Daughter's tooth will be ok, she should not lose it, got a "band-aid" on it and you can't tell there is anything wrong with it.  Modern dentistry is amazing.  Need to tear out the laminate flooring in our sunken living room, not much damage besides that.

Diet was ok, don't have a ton of motivation to work on that right now.  Need some.

Good swim this morning but I got mega bored towards the end.  Got up close to an hour and I was done.  Felt like I could physically go on but I was just burnt out mentally. 
2010-04-12 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2786001

User image

Expert
NW NJ
titeloops - 2010-04-12 3:24 PM
mchubri` - 2010-04-12 10:18 AM OK, time for my update...

Careful Man. 6 Mile run when you were running a fever the day prior could be pushing a little hard. Hope your feeling better. It's taper week anyway!

I know, I know....

2010-04-12 7:48 PM

Happy Monday!

Catching up again...

@ Todd ... getting in the OWS ... Good job!  I'm an ok swimmer but I have a major phobia of fish ... more on that later.

@Crissy, I'm jealous you do 6 mile training runs...I hope one day I can do those.  Great work!

@ Noel, congrats on setting your goal and reaching it!  Under 30 minutes is uber impressive in my book!  Your recipe sounds good too.

@ Brian - take care of yourself and feel better soon!  Skip that swim and save it for the half mary.  Good luck!  Your recipe sounds pretty tasty too, I'm going to have to write out yours and Noel's and then I don't have to worry about breakfast or lunch.

@ Justin - sorry about your daughter's tooth and the fridge busting... you guys had an exciting weekend thats for sure.  Glad you got it all worked out.

So, I'm back to swimming, not a lot yet since I still have the sinus/bronchitis infection from hell but finally managed to make it back to the pool on Sat and today.  Feels so right!  Its the only part of the tri that I don't blow chunks at, so its nice to be back in my comfort zone.

On the subject of swimming tho, particularly OWS, the two tri's I want to do are both reverse and in a pool.  I picked them for a couple of reasons:  1.  Short and sweet and good for a beginner.  2.  No need to buy a wetsuit  3.  NO FISH! 

This is a serious issue for me.  I really want to do the Havasu, Az tri next March.  2 things scare me about it...the website says it has a really technical bike course and I suck at the bike but I guess I could just go slow, but the main thing is I have a fish phobia.  Not sharks, but fish.  We jetski in Havasu all the time and I do swim in the lake and river whenever I'm up there but I am faster than Phelps when it comes to getting out of the water if I see a fish in there with me.  Especially the creepy carp.  {shudders in horror}  Once I see a fish, I'm out.  I never, ever wear googles out there because I really don't want to see what's in the water with me.  So, anyone else here scared of fish?  Or got any ideas of how to get over it?  I know its irrational and that they are not going to do anything to me, but just EWWWW!  I would die if one even brushed up against my leg!  So is the answer a wetsuit so I feel all sleek and protected?  Or a sports psychologist for therapy and counseling to get me over the ridiculous fear of fish? 

Prolly the worst and most embarassing part of this is I am soo uber comfortable in the water (except for the fish part) and this hang up prevents me from enjoying it as much as I should as I'm always on the lookout for the fish.  The water is my home but fish are not friends.  Any ideas?

Nutrition was eh on Sat, prolly a 6 on Sunday and so far today a 3, alarm didn't go off and was 1 hr late for work so couldn't make any meals had to eat them all out, Mc D's for breakfast and a hamburger for lunch) .. hoping to make dinner better.

Have to take the kid to her dance class and then I'm run/walking tonite!

Take care,
Ronda
2010-04-12 11:10 PM
in reply to: #2786756

User image

Expert
C-bus
Ronda, you're so funny!  I'm not laughing at your phobia, just the way you wrote it.  Just remember-the fish are more scared of you than you are of them!  And with all the swimmers in the water for a triathlon, they'll be long gone! 

What creeps me out is swimming next to boats.  We had a boat growing up, used it for skiing and fishing on Lake Erie.  It always gave me the willies when I had to climb back up the propeller housing.   Now, with the Cleveland tri, I don't get to swim next to a little boat...  Nooooo!  I have to swim next to a big tour boat AND and a HUGE ore boat!!!!  (and some dead fish here and there...)  I know you're all jealous  

Speaking of swimming, when you go, don't forget your goggles and swim cap like I did today.  It was not a fun training session. Luckily, I remembered my suit!
2010-04-13 12:58 AM

Hey Robin,

Its ok to laugh, I know its like the most irrational fear!  Drives my husband and friends crazy.  Its like I know they can't do anything to me but the sight of them just gives me the creeps. Well maybe my OWS times if I ever get brave will be even better than my pool times since all that fear and adrenaline will be pumping me up, making me swim as fast as I can so I can hurry up and get out before a fish gets me!

Boats are scary for swimmers too.  I refuse to ski in Havasu during the summer season during most parts of the weekend.  Big boats with propellers that sometimes have people at the wheel who either don't pay enough attention to me on my little 2 seater jetski or are possibly intoxicated?  NO way!  Not worth it.  It is disconcerting to be next to a boat that's churning away and be in the water.

Ronda

ps-even dead fish would be creepy
2010-04-13 6:06 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Not sure how to handle a fish phobia. Maybe get a pet goldfish or watch finding nemo over and over. After my OWS on sunday, I didn't want to go back to the pool yesterday. Just so much more enjoyable that doing laps. Plus the wetsuit makes it so much easier!!
2010-04-13 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2787311

User image

Expert
C-bus
titeloops - 2010-04-13 7:06 AM Not sure how to handle a fish phobia. Maybe get a pet goldfish or watch finding nemo over and over. After my OWS on sunday, I didn't want to go back to the pool yesterday. Just so much more enjoyable that doing laps. Plus the wetsuit makes it so much easier!!

Was this your first experience with a wetsuit?  I'm in the market but in my head I'm thinking it can't be all that comfy or easy to swim in...  Opinions?

2010-04-13 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2787510

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
sungirl919 - 2010-04-13 8:43 AM
titeloops - 2010-04-13 7:06 AM Not sure how to handle a fish phobia. Maybe get a pet goldfish or watch finding nemo over and over. After my OWS on sunday, I didn't want to go back to the pool yesterday. Just so much more enjoyable that doing laps. Plus the wetsuit makes it so much easier!!

Was this your first experience with a wetsuit?  I'm in the market but in my head I'm thinking it can't be all that comfy or easy to swim in...  Opinions?

If the wetsuit fits you well, you will hardly notice a difference.  I rented one for my first tri last summer.  The first time I had it in the water was when the gun went off to start.  I was very nervous that I would feel constricted or it would hinder my motion.  You can tell you're wearing one, but it wasn't that big of a deal. 

And boy, do they make a difference in speed.  Our swim was 1/2 mile.  During my training swims, I was in the 20-22 minutes for the swim.  These were OWS with one friend using a GPS in his swim cap, so we knew the distance was close.  I didn't find out my swim time until the results were posted, but I finished in just less than 15 minutes.  My next one, was the same distance, I was out of the water in about 12.5 minutes.  Had about a 1/4 mile run out of the water to the timing mats, so my time was just over 14 minutes.  After my first tri, I ended up buying the wetsuit.  The store I rented it from put my rental money towards the purchase of it. 

My normal pace in the water is around 1:50-2:00 / 100.  Not speedy by any means.
2010-04-13 8:47 AM

Veteran

I had my first OWS last saturday and honestly, did not get to the point of seeing a fish or having a boat pass close to me.  I was so freaked out about the whole thing, I do not remember much about those 20 min of my life.  It was so cold I could not exhale under water so I just floated around the course.

now I have fish and boats to worry about!!! Wink

I hope it gets better

got a good swim last night, hope to get a brick session today

2010-04-13 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2787582

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Cutlass454 - 2010-04-13 9:08 AM
sungirl919 - 2010-04-13 8:43 AM

If the wetsuit fits you well, you will hardly notice a difference.  I rented one for my first tri last summer.  The first time I had it in the water was when the gun went off to start.  I was very nervous that I would feel constricted or it would hinder my motion.  You can tell you're wearing one, but it wasn't that big of a deal. 

And boy, do they make a difference in speed.  Our swim was 1/2 mile.  During my training swims, I was in the 20-22 minutes for the swim.  These were OWS with one friend using a GPS in his swim cap, so we knew the distance was close.  I didn't find out my swim time until the results were posted, but I finished in just less than 15 minutes.  My next one, was the same distance, I was out of the water in about 12.5 minutes.  Had about a 1/4 mile run out of the water to the timing mats, so my time was just over 14 minutes.  After my first tri, I ended up buying the wetsuit.  The store I rented it from put my rental money towards the purchase of it. 

My normal pace in the water is around 1:50-2:00 / 100.  Not speedy by any means.

The first time I used my wetsuit in a tri I had a terrible swim, only because I got wayyyyyyyy off course and had to completely change directions to get back with the pack.  I thought for sure my pace was dead due to my mis-navigation, however, when I exited the water and checked my watch, I was stunned at how fast I finished the swim.  I was humming in the wetsuit and beat my projected time even though I was off course. 

The boyauncy (sp?) in the wetsuit is amazing, you don't have to worry so much about your legs sinking because the suit keeps them right on the surface. 

They can also keep the fish from touching your skin! I love seeing fish in my OWS, I get all excited. 
2010-04-13 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2786756

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Swimfreak17

Once I see a fish, I'm out.

I am not a huge fan of aquatic life when I am swimming in the open water either.  I tend to go really irrational and think about the movie Lake Placid.  I have my first ocean OWS in July so I am a little worried about sharks even though the swim is only 450 yards.  Just go Phelps and swim faster!  I plan to kick my legs REALLY hard, maybe that will help.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27