BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-04-19 5:00 AM
in reply to: #2799999

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group
guticur - 2010-04-18 7:51 PM

For Running I use Nike Free shoes. I met the author of the book "Born to Run", he's a local guy. Great story. Ever since I turned to the barefoot way of running (kind of), and started consuming Chia, all my knee and feet problems completely disappeared (awesome).

Hey Fernando,

I've been experimenting with barefoot running, too. I haven't read Born to Run yet, but I would like to. I usually do a few miles per week either completely barefoot, or in those goofy looking Vibram Five Finger Shoes. I also swithched over last year from "traditional" running shoes to racing flats - very minimal cushioning, low heel, no support to speak of, and I agree that my feet are MUCH happier in this type of shoe! What is Chia??

2010-04-19 5:11 AM
in reply to: #2799281

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - CLOSED!
tryin2tri - 2010-04-18 10:23 AM
I was wondering if anyone had a Tri Gear Bag and which one it is.  I'm looking into buying one because my gym bag is just not cutting it anymore and there's no way I'll be able to pack a wet suit in it.  I'm also wondering what does everyone wear for the bike and run portions of a sprint and/or Oly? 

I don't have a specific Tri bag, but I know TYR, Nathan, Blue Seventy, and others make tri specific bags. Google "Transition Bag" and you'll find lots of results. I actually just went to Target and found the most spacious backpack I could find. It fits all of my tri gear, no problem, has two water bottle holders on the side, and was a fraction of the cost of a "transition bag" - so that's an option to consider too.

I typically wear triathlon shorts and either a tri specific top, or a similar sleeveless, tight fitting, technical fabric top all the way through sprint and olympic distance events. Triathlon shorts have a quick drying cycling pad that is less bulky than the pad in many biking shorts. It dries quickly enough that it's fine to wear it on the bike after the swim, and thin enough to run in. Some people like one-piece tri suits, I tend to prefer 2 piece, since I have kind of a long torso and don't want to have a wedgie for the entire bike leg of the race! Plus, 2-piece is more convenient if you have to go to the bathroom.....
2010-04-19 5:17 AM
in reply to: #2799558

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-04-18 1:52 PM

Folks, I just wanted to share something I found while cruising. I am always looking for something to improve on... So I saw this and thought I would share. A trainer analyzes running form:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/?q=Ironman+Kona+video&vid=3E08382914C6829BF2483E08382914C6829BF248&FORM=VIRE6

----
Jeff

That was interesting.... thanks for sharing!
2010-04-19 5:24 AM
in reply to: #2799717

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
mmgoldenb - 2010-04-18 4:18 PM

Well there has been a lot of activity these past few days!  It's been a tough week for me.  One of those weeks were God laughs at your plans, if you know what I mean.  Lost one swim workout to a lunch time meeting (the perils of working out during lunch hour) and then got slammed with an sinus infection that came on really fast.  That knocked out Friday and today.  I still feel pretty yucky, but my body really needs rest.  Soooo, I will start back up on Tuesday.  I don't have any races for several weeks, so I am not too concerned, but I find it very difficult to be idle. 

I am happy to meet everyone, and look forward to the next few months together. 

How did the weekend races go?

Hope you're feeling better, Marla!
2010-04-19 5:27 AM
in reply to: #2800267

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Amhgbh - 2010-04-18 10:01 PM

Jenny,
If your group is still open I would like to join.

I started training 6 weeks ago with 2 other Moms. We thought it would be funt to try a tri. We are signed up for our first sprint June 12th!

I have always exercised off and on no real training program currently following the beginner 13 week with more time added. The bike and run don't seem to bad and I'm progressing. GUess that leaves that dreaded swim. Never a swimmer before. I have taken one lesson and have another this week. I think the breathing and the legs dropping are my biggest hurdles. I also am wearing nose plugs. If I don't I get a sinus full of water even when I blow out.
Anyway can't wait to be part of this group to cheer us all on!
Amy

Welcome aboard, Amy! What training plan are you following?

It's good you're taking some swimming lessons. That's definitely a good place to start!
2010-04-19 5:28 AM
in reply to: #2800403

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-04-18 11:34 PM

Great hilly course today. I beat my last 10K (Marine Corp 10K - MCM 10K) by 13 minutes and on a much much more challenging course at that. Its hard to believe that when I did the MCM 10K in Octobr, I ran it at 14 1/2 min pace and today I ran a harder course at 12 1/2 min pace. Talk about progress!!

See my race report.
time was 1:19:30.

Lovey

WOO-HOO!! Congrats, Lovey! Way to shatter your PR! How do you feel for your half-mary next weekend?

2010-04-19 5:38 AM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
I hope everybody had a great weekend! It was nice here in south-eastern PA, though a little cooler than it has been! I took my kids to a community fair Sunday afternoon. They won three goldfish. Of course we had to go out and buy a new fish tank for them. So....... now we have a new fish tank. And three dead goldfish..... Guess who's going to the pet store later today to buy more fish?!?

I thought I would post my goals for this week. Feel free to post yours if you want! I have races coming up the next two weekends, so this week and next week will be a little lighter for me. Neither of these are "A" races for me, so I'm not really doing a full taper, but will lighten up on training a bit....

This week's goals:

Run 4x - 20 - 22 miles total, including half harathon next Sunday
Bike 2x - 45 min - 1.5 hours, easy effort, just working on getting my "bike legs" back!
Swim 2x - 1,000 - 1,500 yards each, easy effort

I met most of my goals for last week. I missed one bike session I had hoped to get in, but I'm not too worried about that at this point in the season. The bike tends to come back pretty quickly for me. I'll start hitting the bike harder after my running races the next two weekends.

2010-04-19 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Lovey - 2010-04-18 11:34 PM Great hilly course today. I beat my last 10K (Marine Corp 10K - MCM 10K) by 13 minutes and on a much much more challenging course at that. Its hard to believe that when I did the MCM 10K in Octobr, I ran it at 14 1/2 min pace and today I ran a harder course at 12 1/2 min pace. Talk about progress!! See my race report. time was 1:19:30. Lovey

You rock girl...way to go!
2010-04-19 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2800449

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
eliseb - 2010-04-19 12:38 AM
GennX - 2010-04-18 11:33 AM

Hi there Elise!

Good luck on finding a job! It used to be so easy as a nurse, if you  had a license you had lots to choose from, but right now the market is a little tougher and we have some hospitals on hiring freezes in my world. Feel free to send me a private message if you want any job advice

As for the tris, I would really encourage you to register for the Danskin event. It's an awesome series for beginners and you can honestly be as slow or fast as you want. I had a friend do the Chicago one on her mountain bike and walking the whole 5K, but finished and felt incredibly supported!! I guarantee that you can do it and exceed your expectations! Not to mention, having a confirmed race entry is great for motivation!!

Jenn

Hey GennX!  Thanks for the job hunt well wishes!  We're experiencing some hiring freezes around here, too, and lots of folks who aren't in a position to hire new grads.  But, this too shall pass. 

I do plan to register for the Danskin event once I figure out what's up with my knees and once a date is posted for their New England event.  It's still listed as TBD, and I have a few family commitments this fall, so I need to be sure there is no overlap.  I really hope it's going to work out because I feel inspired just contemplating it.

A question for the group at large: Do I need a special bike to participate, or is any bike ok?  I realize I may need to make changes if I continue to compete and start pushing for times, but for now, the bike I have is an old hand me down.  I had it tuned to make sure it was in good working order, but it isn't anything special. 

You can ride almost any bike. Of course performance depends a lot on equipment. I have a hybrid and a road bike. Big difference. People tend to recommend not to get a tri specific bike at first for multiple reasons. BT actually has an article about it. I might consider a tri bike down the road.
Fernando
2010-04-19 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2800525

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-04-19 6:00 AM
guticur - 2010-04-18 7:51 PM For Running I use Nike Free shoes. I met the author of the book "Born to Run", he's a local guy. Great story. Ever since I turned to the barefoot way of running (kind of), and started consuming Chia, all my knee and feet problems completely disappeared (awesome).
Hey Fernando, I've been experimenting with barefoot running, too. I haven't read Born to Run yet, but I would like to. I usually do a few miles per week either completely barefoot, or in those goofy looking Vibram Five Finger Shoes. I also swithched over last year from "traditional" running shoes to racing flats - very minimal cushioning, low heel, no support to speak of, and I agree that my feet are MUCH happier in this type of shoe! What is Chia??

Chia is the best plant source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Much better ratio (Omega 3mega6) than fish. Multiple other benefits, including apetite control. I can send you a link if interested.
Fernando 
2010-04-19 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2800267

User image

Amhgbh - 2010-04-18 10:01 PM

Jenny,
If your group is still open I would like to join.

I started training 6 weeks ago with 2 other Moms. We thought it would be funt to try a tri. We are signed up for our first sprint June 12th!

I have always exercised off and on no real training program currently following the beginner 13 week with more time added. The bike and run don't seem to bad and I'm progressing. GUess that leaves that dreaded swim. Never a swimmer before. I have taken one lesson and have another this week. I think the breathing and the legs dropping are my biggest hurdles. I also am wearing nose plugs. If I don't I get a sinus full of water even when I blow out.
Anyway can't wait to be part of this group to cheer us all on!
Amy

Hi Amy,

Welcome aboard. Two of my college friends convinced me to do the tri this year, I coerced another friend! We are all pushing 50! I found this link http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=168364which might be helpful. For me tucking my chin works, as well as lengthening my stroke (eg thumb hits thigh). Good luck. Keep at it!

2010-04-19 11:02 AM

User image

Lovey - 2010-04-18 11:34 PM Great hilly course today. I beat my last 10K (Marine Corp 10K - MCM 10K) by 13 minutes and on a much much more challenging course at that. Its hard to believe that when I did the MCM 10K in Octobr, I ran it at 14 1/2 min pace and today I ran a harder course at 12 1/2 min pace. Talk about progress!! See my race report. time was 1:19:30. Lovey

That is AWESOME! You must be so proud to shatter last years time! Congrats on all your hard work!
2010-04-19 11:08 AM

Veteran
Lovey-
Way to go!!! It is the BEST when you see those improvements.  That is a great feeling.  Congrats!
2010-04-19 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
I just had an Epiphany (borrowed from Homer Simpson): REST IS A GOOD THING!
I have jello legs today, and they are cursing at me....you know what they say: Listen to your body, especially when it's using foul language. 
You know how Jenny talks about 2 piece suits for restroom convenience....well at mile 18 on my bike, my body didn't care what I was wearing.... it almost misfired out of fatigue....I made it home thanks to an act of God. I have some muscles screaming that I didn't even know existed.
Oh well.....we will have to take it easy.
 PS: Welcome Amy to the group. 
2010-04-19 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
So after practicing getting in and out of my pedals on the trainer this weekend I'm taking it out on the road (well, the parking lot lol).  The s/o & kids are coming to the park too and I'm going to ride laps on the ring road around the park to get the feel of the bike and getting on/off in/out, wish me luck - I'll be bringing bandaids too just in case lol. 

Nice to be part of such an active mentor group too!!

jsnowash - thanks for the inspire, the goals are changing just a tad as I was off training for a couple weeks so I'm extending them by a couple weeks or so.

I have my very first sprint on June 20, I'm soooooo not ready in anyway for that, we'll see how the next month goes.
2010-04-19 4:43 PM

New user

Medford, MA
Attempted to go out for a ride today with the hubby, but I was thwarted by equipment failure!  Luckily we weren't far from home when my gear shift wire somehow got caught in my front gears and ripped out.  On the plus side, we had a nice walk and picnic and I have my seat adjusted to a better height.  Now off to the bike shop tomorrow.  For tonight's exercise, something completely different: the Foxtrot!

Tomorrow, back to the elliptical.

Congrats to Lovey for an excellent race and well done to all our racers.  It was a perfect day for the Boston Marathon today, so we checked out a bit of that, too.

2010-04-19 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2802181

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-04-19 4:13 PM

I just had an Epiphany (borrowed from Homer Simpson): REST IS A GOOD THING!
I have jello legs today, and they are cursing at me....you know what they say: Listen to your body, especially when it's using foul language. 
You know how Jenny talks about 2 piece suits for restroom convenience....well at mile 18 on my bike, my body didn't care what I was wearing.... it almost misfired out of fatigue....I made it home thanks to an act of God. I have some muscles screaming that I didn't even know existed.
Oh well.....we will have to take it easy.
 PS: Welcome Amy to the group. 

LOL!! Yeah - maybe it's time for a rest day....
2010-04-19 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2802421

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tryin2tri - 2010-04-19 5:22 PM

So after practicing getting in and out of my pedals on the trainer this weekend I'm taking it out on the road (well, the parking lot lol).  The s/o & kids are coming to the park too and I'm going to ride laps on the ring road around the park to get the feel of the bike and getting on/off in/out, wish me luck - I'll be bringing bandaids too just in case lol. 

jsnowash - thanks for the inspire, the goals are changing just a tad as I was off training for a couple weeks so I'm extending them by a couple weeks or so.

I have my very first sprint on June 20, I'm soooooo not ready in anyway for that, we'll see how the next month goes.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

If there is a flat or even slightly downhill (but just very slightly) grassy area at the park, you can try riding there to practice clipping an and out of the pedals, too. That way, if you have any trouble clipping out, and you tip over, you'll land on something a little more forgiving than pavement! But you're not going to have to worry about that anyway....
2010-04-19 5:05 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Acke - Elise! Another bike equipment problem! We seem to be having a rash of those around here lately! I sure hope it's not contagious!!!
2010-04-19 5:48 PM

User image

So...do you ever feel like the world is conspiring against you getting the training in? I get up early Sunday, head to the YMCA for my "long" swim. The Y is having "Kids Fitness Day" and the facility is closed. Hello? It's FITNESS day, shouldn't it be OPEN?

So I head over again tonight, determined to get my swim in as I am leaving tomorrow for Puerto Rico and possible ocean swim will be the only option. I am 500 meters into my swim and one of the kids in the lesson group throws up and we have to evacuate the pool. UGH.

Oh well, this might be the week to concentrate on running and enjoying a second honeymoon. Or maybe the only exercise I will get is hoisting a wine glass and swinging in the hammock. Oh yeah, do surfing lessons count as anything?

2010-04-19 5:48 PM

Thinking that since it was spring break that the pool would be somewhat empty. No such luck. All lanes had 2 or 3 people in them and they were getting ready for Kids lessons. Guess I'm gonna have to go on Friday.

2010-04-19 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2802421

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
tryin2tri - 2010-04-19 5:22 PM So after practicing getting in and out of my pedals on the trainer this weekend I'm taking it out on the road (well, the parking lot lol).  The s/o & kids are coming to the park too and I'm going to ride laps on the ring road around the park to get the feel of the bike and getting on/off in/out, wish me luck - I'll be bringing bandaids too just in case lol. 

I don't know which kind of pedals you have, I use SPDs (originally for mountain bikes) which can be adjusted regarding unclipping (from very tight to very loose) - I have mine very loose. Take it from the master at falling during complete stops (I feel like the goats from George Clooney's movie)... you want to make it as easy as possible to remove your shoe from the pedal. If there is the remote chance of a stop coming up, unclip sooner rather than later. Mother earth is beautiful, but it can hurt if you collide with it rather precipitously!
2010-04-19 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Jenny...you are doing the Nations Tri. How is it swimming in the Potomac River? My tri on June 20th is the DC Tri (sprint) and organized by the Nation's Tri race organizers.

Lovey
2010-04-19 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2800530

I am currently using BT's 13 week beginner free plan. Looking forward to the support.
2010-04-19 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2801275

Thanks I may try some of those things can't ever hurt to strengthen your core. I'll see what my coach says at my lesson.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32