BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-04-27 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2820933

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
amschrod - 2010-04-27 6:12 PM

What kind of wetsuit did you get? Any OWS practice you can get in it will be beneficial. At first you will feel a little like a cork, especially in salt water.

Anthony

I rented one from wetsuitrental.com.   Not sure what type they will send.  If it fits well and feels good I will probably purchase it. I will let you know when it comes in next week.

2010-04-27 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2774068

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Had a group bike ride tonight but due to chance of rain and sustained winds of 20+ with gusts to 33 mph only one other person showed up.  We decided to take the short loop, about 12 miles.  There was a strong cross wind the first few miles.  Glad I don't have disk wheels!  My bike would feel like a kite.  At mile 5 we were averaging 18.8 and I was pumped!  Unfortunately, that didn't last.  The other guy hammered up the hills and I struggled badly.  At the end I only averaged 15.6.  I had a goal set for this weekend's sprint of 16.8 for a time of 32 mins on the 8.9 miles.  I don't see that happening now.  I just can't keep the pace going up hills.

I finished the ride, dropped the helmet, quickly loaded my bike and changed shoes.  Took off on a paved trail that is a .6 mile loop.  At first my legs felt very wobbly but that passed quickly.  Around .3 miles both my calves felt like they were going to cramp.  I have never had my legs cramp during a run.  I guess the bike is doing more to my legs than I thought.  Should I take a few minutes and stretch between the bike and run to avoid cramping?  I hate to waste the time but not sure what else to do but walk it off.
2010-04-28 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2821289

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-04-27 9:25 PM
amschrod - 2010-04-27 6:12 PM

What kind of wetsuit did you get? Any OWS practice you can get in it will be beneficial. At first you will feel a little like a cork, especially in salt water.

Anthony

I rented one from wetsuitrental.com.   Not sure what type they will send.  If it fits well and feels good I will probably purchase it. I will let you know when it comes in next week.

Sounds like a good plan. I have heard of lots of people here doing just that. Wetsuit fit can be a little tricky.

Anthony
2010-04-28 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2821304

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-04-27 9:31 PM Had a group bike ride tonight but due to chance of rain and sustained winds of 20+ with gusts to 33 mph only one other person showed up.

Well, pat yourself on the back because you and the other guy are both definitely hardcore!!

We decided to take the short loop, about 12 miles.  There was a strong cross wind the first few miles.  Glad I don't have disk wheels!  My bike would feel like a kite.  At mile 5 we were averaging 18.8 and I was pumped!  Unfortunately, that didn't last.  The other guy hammered up the hills and I struggled badly.  At the end I only averaged 15.6.  I had a goal set for this weekend's sprint of 16.8 for a time of 32 mins on the 8.9 miles.  I don't see that happening now.  I just can't keep the pace going up hills.

Hills are tough. The more you ride them the better you will get. Just so you know, hills are always seem a little flatter on race day

I finished the ride, dropped the helmet, quickly loaded my bike and changed shoes.  Took off on a paved trail that is a .6 mile loop.  At first my legs felt very wobbly but that passed quickly.  Around .3 miles both my calves felt like they were going to cramp.  I have never had my legs cramp during a run.  I guess the bike is doing more to my legs than I thought.  Should I take a few minutes and stretch between the bike and run to avoid cramping?  I hate to waste the time but not sure what else to do but walk it off.

Calf cramping  during a brick is very common. I used to get it all the time, but not so much anymore. For you, it was probably due to pushing hard on the hills on the bike. When climbing, try to keep your cadence as high as possible. Do you have a compact crank in the front, or a big granny gear on your rear cassette?

As far as stretching goes, here's what I do for a race. The last mile or 2 of the bike is generally flat or downhill since you are heading back towards the water, so the riding is a little easier. I will increase my cadence from 80-90 to over 90, so I'm spinning without a lot of effort. Plus I will coast some, and while I am coasting try to stretch as best I can. I stand on the pedals in the 6 and 9 o'clock positions, and drop my heels to get a nice calf stretch. I also try to stretch out my back because that gets a little tight also.

Anthony
2010-04-28 8:16 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Thanks Anthony.  I will definately try the stretching on the bike for the last mile or so.  I don't have a compact crank but I still am learning the best gear for the various types of terrain.  I seldom use my lowest gear but need to on these hills.

When you are climbing a hill that requires getting out of the saddle what gear do you choose?  Do you still want the gear that lets you spin easily or do you shift up to get a little more "umph" from each peddle stroke?  The few times I have stood up to peddle I was about three gears from the lowest and that seemed to allow me the best progress for the effort. 
2010-04-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2821979

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-04-28 9:16 AM Thanks Anthony.  I will definately try the stretching on the bike for the last mile or so.  I don't have a compact crank but I still am learning the best gear for the various types of terrain.  I seldom use my lowest gear but need to on these hills.

When you are climbing a hill that requires getting out of the saddle what gear do you choose?  Do you still want the gear that lets you spin easily or do you shift up to get a little more "umph" from each peddle stroke?  The few times I have stood up to peddle I was about three gears from the lowest and that seemed to allow me the best progress for the effort. 

Good questions. Some people like to ride hills with more standing and "grinding", and some with more sitting and "spinning". I am definitely a sit and spin person, and I consider myself a decent climber. In races I always pass people going up, unfortunately they pass me back going down, but that' s a different story.

So, on a steeper hill, I get out of aero, and get into a gear that allows me to maintain my cadence, which is usually one of my 2 easiest gears. I scoot back in the saddle a little, and I frequently even rest my hands on the aerobar pads instead of the bullhorns. (on a road bike that would be on top of the handle bar instead of on the hoods or drops). I feel like I get more power from my glutes that way, plus changing my position a little helps me keep from getting stiff. When I stand, which is infrequent, I definitely shift into a higher gear and grind some more, just like you said.

I hope what I have said makes sense and is helpful. I feel like it can be hard to convey some things over the internet. I wish I could do a group ride with all of you. It would be a blast!!

Anthony

2010-04-28 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2802677

New user

Subject: 1st Xterra du
Anthony,
Well I finished my 1st xterra du (under 3 hours) last sunday in the rain at Wading River, Long Island. 2m run (22min), 11 m mtn bike (2 hr 7 min), 2 m run (28 min).  My goal was to finish & my wife's goal was for me not to get injured. Was successful on both counts.  A lot of the bike course was mud soup...and what wasn't soup was hilly.  I never knew how hard mtn biking could be.
All I kept repeating was "I refuse to quit".   2nd in my age group...glad the rain kept a lot of people home.
Now when I'm training, I feel so much more confident in my fitness level & capabillites.
"That which doesn't kill you will make you stronger" F. Nietsche

Stu
2010-04-28 11:59 AM

User image

NH
I'm a hill climbing sitter as well.  When I only biked, I stood and pushed up the hills more in the upright position, but standing and grinding seems to use very similar muscles and motion to running.  Since my running is bad enough stand alone I don't want the bike to sabotage my running any more than it's already sabotaged! 

I agree that cramps are normal for the first few bricks you do, particularly if you were climbing hard and standing.  Stretching the last bit of the bike before the run is a great plan.  You can get a pretty good calf stretch in without costing much time.  Practice it on any future brick ride/runs you do.

2010-04-28 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2822999

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: 1st Xterra du
Stu1760 - 2010-04-28 12:53 PM Anthony,
Well I finished my 1st xterra du (under 3 hours) last sunday in the rain at Wading River, Long Island. 2m run (22min), 11 m mtn bike (2 hr 7 min), 2 m run (28 min).  My goal was to finish & my wife's goal was for me not to get injured. Was successful on both counts.  A lot of the bike course was mud soup...and what wasn't soup was hilly.  I never knew how hard mtn biking could be.
All I kept repeating was "I refuse to quit".   2nd in my age group...glad the rain kept a lot of people home.
Now when I'm training, I feel so much more confident in my fitness level & capabillites.

Stu

Stu!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! 2nd in your AG is fantastic!! If some people in your AG didn't show up because of a few drops of rain it means that you beat them because you are more hardcore. Not only did you "refuse to quit", you kicked butt!

It's good to hear from you because it has been a little while and I was afraid we had lost you someplace in cyberspace.

So, when is your next race

Anthony

2010-04-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2823029

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-28 12:59 PM I'm a hill climbing sitter as well.  When I only biked, I stood and pushed up the hills more in the upright position, but standing and grinding seems to use very similar muscles and motion to running.  Since my running is bad enough stand alone I don't want the bike to sabotage my running any more than it's already sabotaged!

Excellent, excellent, excellent  point that I should have mentioned as well. Since this is tri, you have to run after you ride. If you look at Race Reports, you will find people who bonk or cramp on the run and attribute it to their nutrition, but I personally think that it was more likely from going too hard, for their current fitness level, on the bike.

I agree that cramps are normal for the first few bricks you do, particularly if you were climbing hard and standing.  Stretching the last bit of the bike before the run is a great plan.  You can get a pretty good calf stretch in without costing much time.  Practice it on any future brick ride/runs you do.

More good advice. Thanks!

Anthony

2010-04-28 1:38 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA

Stu

Great job, Stu!  That sounds like a tough bike route with hills and mud.  Congratuations!

2010-04-28 2:05 PM

User image

NH
Is anyone racing this weekend?
2010-04-28 2:18 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
I am!  Just a super sprint.  Have a question about the timing chip.  How many of you have your own timing chip strap or do you just use the one provided by the race?
2010-04-28 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2823616

User image

NH
triton63 - 2010-04-28 3:18 PM I am!  Just a super sprint.  Have a question about the timing chip.  How many of you have your own timing chip strap or do you just use the one provided by the race?

I use the race chip.  Good luck.  Is this your first?  If so you only do your first once, so have a blast!
2010-04-28 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2823167

New user

Anthony,
My next races aren't until Aug 1 - Bi 500 yd Swim & 5K Run; Aug 29 Xterra Tri Sprint; Oct 10 Tri Sprint; & Nov 7 Xterra du.  I'm going to focus until then on a consistent workout schedule, improving my eating habits and losing wt.
Stu
2010-04-28 5:19 PM
in reply to: #2823448

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
triton63 - 2010-04-28 2:38 PM

Stu

Great job, Stu!  That sounds like a tough bike route with hills and mud.  Congratuations!

Awesome Stu!! Your training and perseverance really paid off...way to go!

2010-04-28 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2823616

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-04-28 3:18 PM I am!  Just a super sprint.

No such thing as "just a" any kind if race They are all a big deal, especially your first!

Have a question about the timing chip.  How many of you have your own timing chip strap or do you just use the one provided by the race?

I'll admit to being a little addicted to buying stuff, but I never got my own timing chip strap, I've just used whatever the race provides. I'd probably lose it if I had my own.

Anthony
2010-04-28 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Looking at this weekends weather...looks great so far. I am hoping for a long ride either Sat or Sun...if I am lucky maybe both days?? 

Just purchased my wet suit and want to try it out...would the pool be okay for just a trail?  I know the chlorine is not good for it, but it would only be a one time trial...any thoughts?

Edited by scott1223 2010-04-28 8:31 PM
2010-04-29 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2824382

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
What brand suit did you get?  I have a rental coming next week and hope to get an OWS in before my May 15 tri.  I have heard that you can use them in a pool but just make sure you rinse it very well with non chlorinated water.  Might want to check the manufacturer's recommendation for your suit to be sure.
2010-04-29 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2824382

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-04-28 9:30 PM

Looking at this weekends weather...looks great so far. I am hoping for a long ride either Sat or Sun...if I am lucky maybe both days?? 

Just purchased my wet suit and want to try it out...would the pool be okay for just a trail?  I know the chlorine is not good for it, but it would only be a one time trial...any thoughts?

Check the warranty, some of them are out if you swim in a pool.  Not sure how they know, but for what it's worth.  Is this an indoor pool - if so I also think you'll be smoking hot pretty quick.

I'm also hoping for a nice ride this weekend as we have some great weather coming as well.
2010-04-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2825169

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-29 10:18 AM
scott1223 - 2010-04-28 9:30 PM

Check the warranty, some of them are out if you swim in a pool.  Not sure how they know, but for what it's worth.  Is this an indoor pool - if so I also think you'll be smoking hot pretty quick.

I'm also hoping for a nice ride this weekend as we have some great weather coming as well.

Your wetsuit will be fine with one swim in the pool as long as you rinse it well after, but I agree you should double check with the manufacturer. I also agree that you will get really hot really quickly in an indoor pool.

Supposed to be really nice here this weekend as well. I may even get to ride in shorts!

Anthony

2010-04-29 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks guys I will check the warranty, also you are right about being hot.  I swim in jammers and it is warm swimming with them.  Maybe I'll wait until the neighbor opens his pool, it isn't heated and will be a true test.
2010-04-29 5:03 PM

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Congratulations Stu!  Great job with the mental battle "I refuse to quit".
2010-04-29 6:53 PM

User image

NH
Does everyone have special gear to ride in the rain/cold, and do you actually ride in real rain?

I'll run in anything (as this past winter running in NH proved to me) but I only ride when the weather is co-operative.  If a tri happens in rain or freezing cold, I think I'd be in trouble.  I've only really ridden once in real rain, and that was the second day of a charity ride so it wasn't a race and we went pretty slow with plenty of stops.
2010-04-29 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2827247

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
wbayek - 2010-04-29 7:53 PM Does everyone have special gear to ride in the rain/cold, and do you actually ride in real rain?

I'll run in anything (as this past winter running in NH proved to me) but I only ride when the weather is co-operative.  If a tri happens in rain or freezing cold, I think I'd be in trouble.  I've only really ridden once in real rain, and that was the second day of a charity ride so it wasn't a race and we went pretty slow with plenty of stops.

I am with you on this one, I have only ridden one time in the rain.  I do have long riding pants but only used them for Mt biking.  Looking forward to getting some good rides in this weekend maybe a brick.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24