BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-21 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED
Since we have so many Bostonians in our group, I'm wondering how many of you guys went and watched the Boston Marathon?  I think it would be so cool to watch.  Or is it overrated?

2010-04-21 8:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I grew up in the Boston area (Saugus) and always remember the marathon being on tv. So here I am actually wanting to watch it (unlike me as a kid) and I live in Maine. I thought for sure it would be on tv somewhere. Nope, couldn't find it. Incredibly disappointed. I bet just the craziness is fun to see.
2010-04-21 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2802965

User image

Regular
Billerica
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - OPEN
KidIcarus - 2010-04-19 8:13 PM forgive me for copying and pasting right from my log, but heres the recap:

well i got my fit (thanks Landen!) and it really is an insane difference.  i couldn't believe how much stronger i felt on the way home.  i was practically cackling it was in such sharp contrast.  the big problem was up front: the aero bars were literally angled DOWN so all my weight was on my hands on the shifters pushing my body back.  the right aero bar was a couple degrees lower than the left (lol!)...that certainly wasn't helping much.  i guess i have weird knees (not the term he used haha), but he gave me some inserts and the before and after video of my pedal stroke was staggering.  blah-blah, im very happy; though for $200 it BETTER make a difference.  =P

You are in the Boston area if I remember correctly?? If so who did your bike fit, if it was posted where earlier sorry, I'm catching up tonight. I just pick up a used bike and was thinking of having it fittted properly and there are several shops in the area that could do it and trying to figure out who to use?
2010-04-21 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
How do we add people as friends again?
2010-04-21 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2808820

User image

Extreme Veteran
zachkoe - 2010-04-21 8:52 PM How do we add people as friends again?

I copied Josh's post from last season.

Okay, go to the "Settings" button on the top of the page.  Then click on the last tab "Training Blog Customizations."  Then click on "Friends."  You can either type the person's user name, or click on the little dots to the right and you can search for someone.  

Let me know if you still can't do it. 

2010-04-21 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2808840

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2010-04-21 10:00 PM
zachkoe - 2010-04-21 8:52 PM How do we add people as friends again?

I copied Josh's post from last season.

Okay, go to the "Settings" button on the top of the page.  Then click on the last tab "Training Blog Customizations."  Then click on "Friends."  You can either type the person's user name, or click on the little dots to the right and you can search for someone.  

Let me know if you still can't do it. 

Aah, the students become the teachers.  

Thanks.

2010-04-21 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2808799

User image

AlanaF - 2010-04-21 9:40 PM Since we have so many Bostonians in our group, I'm wondering how many of you guys went and watched the Boston Marathon?  I think it would be so cool to watch.  Or is it overrated?

I have gone and watched the past couple of years just before Heartbreak, Its always been fun.  A lot of the runners really feed off the crowd and its fun to be a part of.  Also spotted some of NBC's Biggest Loser Contestants which was a bit of a novelty.  I would say you atleast have to head out and watch once.
2010-04-21 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2808818

User image

Salem
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - OPEN
if money i+s no object, id say go to fitwerx in peabody ma.  they're crazy expensive but from what i hear, they do an insane job.

if you do go, PM me first.  I live about 10 mins from there and we can get a ride in afterwards.  =]
2010-04-22 4:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Sorry haven't been around to much as I am deep into preparing my team for our approaching medical trip. I am trying to catch up with all the post--a work out in its self!  Good luck everyone with their approaching races--I leave from Boston tonight then fly out in the am for Guatemala so will be totally out of touch with a computer until 5/3  Everyone stay healthy and stay on track for the coming season.  Off to save the World, bye for now.
2010-04-22 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2809118

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2010-04-22 5:41 AM Sorry haven't been around to much as I am deep into preparing my team for our approaching medical trip. I am trying to catch up with all the post--a work out in its self!  Good luck everyone with their approaching races--I leave from Boston tonight then fly out in the am for Guatemala so will be totally out of touch with a computer until 5/3  Everyone stay healthy and stay on track for the coming season.  Off to save the World, bye for now.

Have a good/safe trip.  We can't wait to hear about it when you get back.  It will be quiet around here without you.

2010-04-22 12:53 PM

User image

Hi all, hope everyone is having a great week!

I am going for my bike fit on Sat. morning and just wondered - (it's a two hour fit), so other than shoes, shorts and a snack ;-)...is there anything else I need to take?

2010-04-22 1:59 PM

New user

Syracuse
So, I am so excited! I shaved 5 minutes off my swim time in 8 weeks!!! Now I just have to be able to start running. I have  ITB syndrome and brsitis on my R hip, making it very difficult and sometimes impossible to run. I was able to do a 14 or so minute walk/jog the other day so I am hoping in the next couple months that will also improve.
If you all come to Syracuse for the 70.3 we could meet up if at all possible? I realized that I had joined a Boston group after the fact although I did see your Papa Smurf Josh. I just want to make sure that the Yankee and Sox fans can get along? LOL
2010-04-22 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2810577

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Shioban - 2010-04-22 2:59 PM So, I am so excited! I shaved 5 minutes off my swim time in 8 weeks!!! Now I just have to be able to start running. I have  ITB syndrome and brsitis on my R hip, making it very difficult and sometimes impossible to run. I was able to do a 14 or so minute walk/jog the other day so I am hoping in the next couple months that will also improve.
If you all come to Syracuse for the 70.3 we could meet up if at all possible? I realized that I had joined a Boston group after the fact although I did see your Papa Smurf Josh. I just want to make sure that the Yankee and Sox fans can get along? LOL

My in-laws are Yankees fans.  I don't hold it against them.  Nobody is perfect

Congrats on the swim time.  I think swimming is the sport that you can see the quickest improvement in.  At least it is for me.  But Alana is going to prove me wrong in her amazing running progress.

I may be in Syracuse in 2 weeks.  I will let you know and we can get together for a swim.  

2010-04-22 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2810891

New user

Syracuse
We'll see about the baseball progress throughout the season.....Tongue out I'd love to get together to swim but, you have to keep your expectations low...I'm just starting. It's hard to be next to people that are kicking my but, I find my confidence in the toilet. I try to just do my own thing but it's hard. I have always been a competitive person. I need to remember that I am only competing against myself. I will apologize in advance for our rotten weather sometimes. It changes so frequently. If you don't have anything set up for where you are staying, I can give you some tips as well as where to eat, go out, train, etc.

Shioban
2010-04-22 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2810387

User image

Salem
clarkest - 2010-04-22 1:53 PM Hi all, hope everyone is having a great week!

I am going for my bike fit on Sat. morning and just wondered - (it's a two hour fit), so other than shoes, shorts and a snack ;-)...is there anything else I need to take?

make sure you're wearing tri shorts or something tight, form-fitting.  the fitter needs to be able to pick up exactly whats going on with your stroke mechanically.  other than that, and not sure how new you are to riding, but i found some humility useful when i had mine done earlier this week.  =P
2010-04-22 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2808499

User image

Salem
pfft.

highlight of my day.

so please, and thank you alana.

(this post would've GREATLY benefited from a quote, im seeing now.  its in reference to alana worrying about too many inspires)

Edited by KidIcarus 2010-04-22 7:35 PM

2010-04-22 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2810577

User image

Salem
Shioban - 2010-04-22 2:59 PM So, I am so excited! I shaved 5 minutes off my swim time in 8 weeks!!! Now I just have to be able to start running. I have  ITB syndrome and brsitis on my R hip, making it very difficult and sometimes impossible to run. I was able to do a 14 or so minute walk/jog the other day so I am hoping in the next couple months that will also improve.

we're letting THOSE people in here now?  forget it, im done.

oh wait, josh, didn't you already throw me out?  haha
2010-04-22 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2811242

New user

Syracuse
uh oh......Surprised Damn Yankees!! I heard that a lot when I lived in Texas. Can't we all just get a long? I'm a Buffalo fan as well??? I'm sure none of you are smart enough to do that your entire lives. It's been painful being a Bills fan.
Anyway, now that we have that all out of the way....wondering how much, if any strength training everyone does?? I have so little time in my night as it is, that I find it difficult to try to fit this in.
Thanks
Shioban
2010-04-22 8:07 PM

Veteran
Figured it was time to say hi, and thanks for the words of encouragement,,I am a Tri virgin, who work too much for my own liking,,,I have no set training schedule but get up early and stay up late to get it in when I can,,my goal is Muskoka 70.3 in Sept. Every thing up to that is a bonous,,,,a few sprints and 1/2 marathons in the works,,, heading out to Deerhurst in late june or Early july to ride the crse,,, swiming is my thing ,,,been working hard on running and am looking forward to getting more time on the bike,,,I hate the cold and dont have any warm riding gear as of yet,,, So that it i guess, once again thanks for the push to keep going, best of luck to everyone with crazy goals, without them life would be pretty boring,,,happy training.
2010-04-22 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2811237

User image

Extreme Veteran
KidIcarus - 2010-04-22 7:30 PM pfft.

highlight of my day.

so please, and thank you alana.

(this post would've GREATLY benefited from a quote, im seeing now.  its in reference to alana worrying about too many inspires)

Mine too.  Does that make us pathetic?
2010-04-22 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Damn Yankees!   j/k  Josh gave me all kinds of grief to get in the group since I am a Mariners fan.  He finally let me in based on our mutual dislike of the Yankees, but it took some groveling.

My  in-laws HATE the Yankees, which kind of makes me a closet Yankees fan.   Shhh!   

2010-04-22 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2811236

User image

KidIcarus - 2010-04-22 6:29 PM
clarkest - 2010-04-22 1:53 PM Hi all, hope everyone is having a great week!

make sure you're wearing tri shorts or something tight, form-fitting.  the fitter needs to be able to pick up exactly whats going on with your stroke mechanically.  other than that, and not sure how new you are to riding, but i found some humility useful when i had mine done earlier this week.  =P

Humility - check.  I used to ride a lot, but that was many moons ago, just been back into it within the last 3-4 months.  I'm not sure whether it's the bike or the running but i've been feeling the knee tweak a bit, so hopefully the fit will take care of it.  Thanks!
2010-04-22 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I'm dating a Yankees fan... yeah, go figure, I grew up in Saugus (10mins north of boston for those who don't know) and ended up with a Yankees fan, sigh. His relatives buy my daughter all Yankees stuff to, even more obnoxious! The worst, is he's from Mass as well, just western mass.
2010-04-22 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2811264

User image

Veteran
Maine
Shioban-
  I do alot of core work after my workouts. Mostly planks, abs work, back strengthening, and I will do some squats and such in there. I have read different things about strength training, so any one else who knows please help me as well! I read that because you want leaner muscles that lifting isn't the greatest to do, however, women lose muscle mass faster than man and so continuing with light weight high reps is a smart idea. I know my body feels better with at least core work.

Shioban - 2010-04-22 8:43 PM uh oh......Surprised Damn Yankees!! I heard that a lot when I lived in Texas. Can't we all just get a long? I'm a Buffalo fan as well??? I'm sure none of you are smart enough to do that your entire lives. It's been painful being a Bills fan.
Anyway, now that we have that all out of the way....wondering how much, if any strength training everyone does?? I have so little time in my night as it is, that I find it difficult to try to fit this in.
Thanks
Shioban
2010-04-23 6:00 AM
in reply to: #2811466

User image

Expert
Boston
zachkoe - 2010-04-22 10:43 PM Shioban-
  I do alot of core work after my workouts. Mostly planks, abs work, back strengthening, and I will do some squats and such in there. I have read different things about strength training, so any one else who knows please help me as well! I read that because you want leaner muscles that lifting isn't the greatest to do, however, women lose muscle mass faster than man and so continuing with light weight high reps is a smart idea. I know my body feels better with at least core work.

Shioban - 2010-04-22 8:43 PM uh oh......Surprised Damn Yankees!! I heard that a lot when I lived in Texas. Can't we all just get a long? I'm a Buffalo fan as well??? I'm sure none of you are smart enough to do that your entire lives. It's been painful being a Bills fan.
Thanks
Shioban

Trying to fit everything is definitely like the fourth disciple in triathlon.  I try to weight lift 3X weekly.    Stronger muscles make you go faster!!!!   I used to be a bodybuilder but lifting for tri's is quite different.  Whereas I used to spend 60-90 minutes in the gym, I now spend 20-30 minutes before my swim workout and on the other 2 days, I try to squeeze it in after work, a lot of times I do it at home with bands and a fitness ball, pushup, situps, pull-ups etc.....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27