Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-04-30 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2827670

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - FULL!

jason.baross - 2010-04-30 3:38 AM First sprint tri is saturday. Smith Mountain Lake, VA...Just looking not to finish last!

Good luck to eveyone else and have fun, that's what it's all about, right!

Good luck, Jason - have fun!!!!!

2010-04-30 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2780242

New user

Tampa
Good luck Jason!!! Let us know how it goes =)
2010-04-30 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Good luck to everyone! I'll be thinking about you when I'm out training this weekendLaughing

Also please give a race report, it's great to find out what other peoples experiences have been with different races. 

2010-04-30 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

I pushed my last 2 work outs pretty hard my legs feel good today but my knee is a still a little sore. I was thinking if I have time to get a bike ride in tonight. I noticed Brian posting a comment in his log that he did an "easy recovery run".

The question is how much do you push it? You need to be careful not to get hurt but your never really going to 100% all of the time during a training period. Do you sit it out or push through it?

2010-04-30 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2829020

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-04-30 12:04 PM

I pushed my last 2 work outs pretty hard my legs feel good today but my knee is a still a little sore. I was thinking if I have time to get a bike ride in tonight. I noticed Brian posting a comment in his log that he did an "easy recovery run".

The question is how much do you push it? You need to be careful not to get hurt but your never really going to 100% all of the time during a training period. Do you sit it out or push through it?

You're right, Adam.  It can be a delicate balance.  I probably don't push as hard as I could, and may be missing the opportunity to improve more than I have.  I find that when I try to go harder more often, my speed increases but I also develop more aches and pains.  I start to get a little concerned that I am injuring myself and back off.  I try to err on the side of caution, and prefer to improve less and keep training rather than take the chance of hurting myself and being sidelined.  I think I have gotten a decent grasp over time of listening to my body - I consider some muscular pain to be a positive sign that I am getting stronger, whereas (for me) joint pain is a bad sign that I may be pushing it too much.  I don't mean to say that I completely avoid getting aches and pains in the joints - however, if they last from run to run, don't subside after a day or two, and don't improve after slowing down, I raise a red flag and really back off.  Through some experimentation, I am finding that it may be more effective for me to build through strength rather than speed.  What I mean by that is I am doing more trail and hill running - I can see myself getting stronger and it has made my regular runs on flat pavement easier.  Trail and hill runs have been gentler on my joints and I feel that I am getting a great workout.  I am hoping that the trend continues. 

The bottom line is:  d?efinitely listen to your body - if you need to back off, you will feel signs.

Another note:  Quoting Scout7 (one of the running experts on BT) - his approach to running improvement is:  Run often, mostly easy, sometimes hard.  I think there is some good wisdom there.

By the way - you guys are all asking really good questions and bringing up great discussion topics - keep them coming!  Don't be bashful about jumping in with any input ?y?o?u? ?h?a?v?e? ?as well - we can all help each other!!

Edited by BHannahs 2010-04-30 3:36 PM
2010-04-30 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
I am really not a runner and never have been.  I have always enjoyed sports, and all of them kept me active when I was a lot younger.  But, after seeing some different events and getting somewhat healthy again, I need to push myself more on running as I know it is my weakest link. 

I just ready Brian's post and it talks about a runner that says go long, but easy more often and fast once in a while.  I am going to start gaining distance, while also gaining more time running.  I may not ever become faster, but I have seen the trend of running information about putting in longer times and not worry to much about the speed or the distance.  They say it will come.

I know about two years ago, I was much better with my running speed at a 5k distance than I am today, because of a knee injury and a foot pain.  I stayed away from running for about 9 months, then hurt my foot playing basketball, so had to stop again.

Now, I am taking it easy and just doing my swim, bike, run.

2010-04-30 6:59 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
I have recently started running again as well, and have subscribed to the theory of distance over speed. I am doing a 10:00 to 10:30 minute mile over 5 miles. I would like to get to the 9 minute mile mark, but i figure if i can continue to do the distance my stamina will increase and allow my speed to increase. I do experience a little knee and hip pain, but have pinpointed the hip pain to bad posture on hills, and the knee pain is just me running with 228# on asphalt. It is nothing i cant push through, and nothing that shows up the next day so i figure it is OK so long as i don't get carried away and understand my limitations.  

On another note, just got my winning lottery number for the 2010 RAGBRAI! Riding with the Livestrong team and pretty excited. My best friends little girl is fighting a wilms tumor, shes 4, so riding for her. She is so excited I am riding for her, and cant wait till July! 
2010-04-30 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2829521

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

We got in also.  Team Viola will be on RAGBRAI.

Thanks for the information on the running.  I will take what people have said about running and work on time and the speed will come when the time happens.

2010-05-03 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Any update from Jason and Jenn about the events over the weekend?

2010-05-03 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2832767

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-05-03 9:49 AM

It would be great to hear about the races!

Brian,
You mention in your log that you are going into a rest week. Do you totally stop for the week?
2010-05-03 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2833230

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-05-03 8:52 AM

Brian,
You mention in your log that you are going into a rest week. Do you totally stop for the week?

No - not stoppoing for the week.    A rest/recovery week just means a decrease in volume and/or intensity.  I will probably reduce the total volume about 30-50% from the last couple of weeks and try not to go too hard during my workouts this week.  It allows my body to adapt and 'absorb' the training load from the last three weeks and hopefully, come back refreshed...

2010-05-03 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2833430

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-05-03 12:51 PM

Brian,

No - not stoppoing for the week.    A rest/recovery week just means a decrease in volume and/or intensity.  I will probably reduce the total volume about 30-50% from the last couple of weeks and try not to go too hard during my workouts this week.  It allows my body to adapt and 'absorb' the training load from the last three weeks and hopefully, come back refreshed...

I figured you wouldn't stop totaly. Wink

So where do you begin (intensity/volume) when you start your new 3 week cycle? Do you step back a little or do you start off right where left off and start building from there.
2010-05-03 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
did my swim workout today, shortest of the week at 500 yds, however like an idiot forgot to start my stop watch, doh! Anyway, my swimming feels much better, i am much more relaxed and notice i am gliding through the water much more effieiently. I have started kicking in a very slow and deliberate fashion, but notice that others kick very rapidly. Is one way better than the other, or is it just come down to the way you were taught. I find that when i kick very rapidly i get very winded, but like i said when i kick slowly, really just helping to guide myself i am able to control my stroke, breathing, etc much better. Anyone have any input on this, weather its right, wrong, just a step toward something better, etc? 
2010-05-03 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2833961

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

dmwill37 - 2010-05-03 12:38 PM did my swim workout today, shortest of the week at 500 yds, however like an idiot forgot to start my stop watch, doh! Anyway, my swimming feels much better, i am much more relaxed and notice i am gliding through the water much more effieiently. I have started kicking in a very slow and deliberate fashion, but notice that others kick very rapidly. Is one way better than the other, or is it just come down to the way you were taught. I find that when i kick very rapidly i get very winded, but like i said when i kick slowly, really just helping to guide myself i am able to control my stroke, breathing, etc much better. Anyone have any input on this, weather its right, wrong, just a step toward something better, etc? 

You'll probably find that better, more natural swimmers kick more.  Triathletes have a reputation for kicking less, which (allegedly) preserves more leg energy for the bike and run.  Personally, I kick just enough to keep my balance in the water and be smooth.  Some people also say that they kick a little more toward the end of the swim to get blood flowing back into the legs prior to the bike...

2010-05-03 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2833917

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-05-03 12:27 PM

Brian,

So where do you begin (intensity/volume) when you start your new 3 week cycle? Do you step back a little or do you start off right where left off and start building from there.

Generally, I just jump back in where I left off.  Ideally, though, it should be at a level where I would end the next three week cycle a little higher than I was at the end of the last one, kind of like building steps.  In a perfect scenario, you would have your highest build phase (peak) just before your biggest event.  I depend too heavily on opportunity when I am able to train more or less, so it doesn't always work out to the 'perfect world' scenario.

2010-05-03 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2834051

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-05-03 4:05 PM

acv - 2010-05-03 12:27 PM

Brian,

Generally, I just jump back in where I left off.  Ideally, though, it should be at a level where I would end the next three week cycle a little higher than I was at the end of the last one, kind of like building steps.  In a perfect scenario, you would have your highest build phase (peak) just before your biggest event.  I depend too heavily on opportunity when I am able to train more or less, so it doesn't always work out to the 'perfect world' scenario.

Thanks for the info - I wish life was perfect!

It's funny my goal last year was to just finish the race somehow I feel like I should be trying for more this year.

2010-05-03 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2833961

User image

Regular
dmwill37 - 2010-05-03 3:38 PM did my swim workout today, shortest of the week at 500 yds, however like an idiot forgot to start my stop watch, doh! Anyway, my swimming feels much better, i am much more relaxed and notice i am gliding through the water much more effieiently. I have started kicking in a very slow and deliberate fashion, but notice that others kick very rapidly. Is one way better than the other, or is it just come down to the way you were taught. I find that when i kick very rapidly i get very winded, but like i said when i kick slowly, really just helping to guide myself i am able to control my stroke, breathing, etc much better. Anyone have any input on this, weather its right, wrong, just a step toward something better, etc? 

Finally, I feel like I can contribute....
As a distance swimmer by nature, I kick less rapidly, but my kicks are stronger than a sprinters would be. For me, it was about conserving energy for the end of the race.  I had to concentrate on kicking faster when I was in a relay or a sprint, and it was difficult for me.  My coaches didn't love my kicking style ever, but as long as I was improving and placing well in meets, they let me do my thing.  I do a modified kick where I do three little kicks and a big cross kick, it's hard to explain but the big cross kick goes right around a breath stroke. 
2010-05-04 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2834146

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Thanks for the info - I wish life was perfect!

It's funny my goal last year was to just finish the race somehow I feel like I should be trying for more this year.

I totally relate.    Each time I do a new distance, I always focus on 'just finish'.  After I have the distance under my belt, I want to see if I can be a little better the next time.  There are a couple of races that I have done for three or four consecutive years, and I'm always looking to improve.  It's natural to adjust yoru goals as you go along.  When I first started, I wanted to do an olympic distance - I didn't have any goal in mind beyond that.  Turn the clock forward three years, and I was doing an Ironman race - I couldn't have even conceived of that when I signed up for my first race.     

2010-05-04 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2834940

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

DaisyzMom - 2010-05-03 7:53 PM
dmwill37 - 2010-05-03 3:38 PM did my swim workout today, shortest of the week at 500 yds, however like an idiot forgot to start my stop watch, doh! Anyway, my swimming feels much better, i am much more relaxed and notice i am gliding through the water much more effieiently. I have started kicking in a very slow and deliberate fashion, but notice that others kick very rapidly. Is one way better than the other, or is it just come down to the way you were taught. I find that when i kick very rapidly i get very winded, but like i said when i kick slowly, really just helping to guide myself i am able to control my stroke, breathing, etc much better. Anyone have any input on this, weather its right, wrong, just a step toward something better, etc? 

Finally, I feel like I can contribute....
As a distance swimmer by nature, I kick less rapidly, but my kicks are stronger than a sprinters would be. For me, it was about conserving energy for the end of the race.  I had to concentrate on kicking faster when I was in a relay or a sprint, and it was difficult for me.  My coaches didn't love my kicking style ever, but as long as I was improving and placing well in meets, they let me do my thing.  I do a modified kick where I do three little kicks and a big cross kick, it's hard to explain but the big cross kick goes right around a breath stroke. 

Thanks, Carly!  Any other swim tips you can give the group would be great.    I know that a couple of others (flip, poolgirl) also have swimming backgrounds, so please jump in and let us benefit from your experience!!

2010-05-04 10:12 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
So, in my spare time Wink, I play a little recreational softball, of course I always have to try to keep it toned down and not let my super uber competitive side come out. However, last night while running out a double, I pulled up and pulled my hamstring, in the first inning! What really sucks about it, is that i have a race on May 23rd, I am going to lose at least a week of training! 

I iced it down last night and again this morning for an hour or so, and currently have it wrapped with some heat on it. I plan on taking today and tomorrow off, but resuming some walking or very light jogging, and riding the stationary bike Thursday as well. Any suggestions or magical remedies? 
2010-05-04 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2835744

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-05-04 11:12 AM So, in my spare time Wink, I play a little recreational softball, of course I always have to try to keep it toned down and not let my super uber competitive side come out. However, last night while running out a double, I pulled up and pulled my hamstring, in the first inning! What really sucks about it, is that i have a race on May 23rd, I am going to lose at least a week of training! 

I iced it down last night and again this morning for an hour or so, and currently have it wrapped with some heat on it. I plan on taking today and tomorrow off, but resuming some walking or very light jogging, and riding the stationary bike Thursday as well. Any suggestions or magical remedies? 

Oh no, sorry to here that. Good luck and don't push it to hard.

2010-05-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2835744

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

dmwill37 - 2010-05-04 8:12 AM So, in my spare time Wink, I play a little recreational softball, of course I always have to try to keep it toned down and not let my super uber competitive side come out. However, last night while running out a double, I pulled up and pulled my hamstring, in the first inning! What really sucks about it, is that i have a race on May 23rd, I am going to lose at least a week of training! 

Ouch!  Hamstrings can be very tricky and can linger.  Definitely be very careful with it as it will be easy to aggravate.  I had a hamstring issue a while back and did well by being very gentle with it (easy runs, no 'bursts' of speed), giving it time to heal, and trying to keep it loose (stretches helped).  Good luck and be careful.  You might also try to do a forum search for hamstring injuries.  I am sure some of the doctors have weighed in on the subject and might have some great advice, as it is a very common injury.

2010-05-04 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Anybody incorporate interval training into their schedules? If so what do you do?

I'm in the process of revising my training schedule right now.

2010-05-04 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2835593

User image

Veteran

Whats hard is learning to point your toes during your kick.  That drag you get from not pointing take a lot of energy & time.  I did alot of kick sets.  If you can get a kick board & fins. Do couple laps with them during your workout.  Get comfortable with them.  Pactice your form.

What I like about swimming.  It all about the form/technique.  You dont need a expensive google or be very lean to be very fast.  During the St. George Ironman I saw a large swimmer (he was at least 230 & very overweight) coming out of the swim and he was one of the FOP swimmers.

2010-05-04 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Hamstring Pull!!!!!   OUCH!!!  That has only happened to me once in 46 years that I am aware of and it lingered for me, because I was in multiple sports all the time in school.  Rest as much as you can and good luck.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21