Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-04-28 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2822181

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - FULL
amyjotris - 2010-04-28 10:15 AM

Morning everyone...had to bump this up...it was wayyy at the bottom.  I am actually going to try to get in the pool today.. Wish me luck.

I just got back from the pool...have a great swim!!!

2010-04-28 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2822181

User image

St. Louis
amyjotris - 2010-04-28 10:15 AM

Morning everyone...had to bump this up...it was wayyy at the bottom.  I am actually going to try to get in the pool today.. Wish me luck.

I took the last two days off to recover (it's as important as training!) but today I'm back at it, 20 mile bike after work.
2010-04-29 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2796294

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

I have a another swimming question (anyone see a pattern here??LOL) On my training schedule for tomorrow it says "Main 10X100 descend 1-5 and 5-10" this may be a very silly question, but what do they mean by descend 1-5 and 5-10?

Thanks

2010-04-29 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2824972

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-29 9:16 AM

I have a another swimming question (anyone see a pattern here??LOL) On my training schedule for tomorrow it says "Main 10X100 descend 1-5 and 5-10" this may be a very silly question, but what do they mean by descend 1-5 and 5-10?

Thanks

Descend means the last set is faster than the first. So in this case you will do the first set slow and work up to fast by the fifth set. Do the sixth set is slow again (like the first set) and work up to fast by the tenth set (like the fifth set). I hope that makes sense!
2010-04-29 1:30 PM

User image

St. Louis
I have a recovery week question. I suppose it differs from person to person. I took Monday and Tuesday off completely this week but went for an easy ride yesterday with some friends who are new to riding (roughly 20 miles, took an hour and 20 mins ) and I'm planning on an easy swim tonight, maybe just 25-30 mins. Is this okay? I've read in a few articles that it's okay to do this, just wondering what anyone hear thought about it.

This recovery week is due to my first Olympic race. My body isn't sore at all so I want to get back into it.
2010-04-29 1:53 PM

I have a followup question on the recovery.  I noticed a few people mention taking 2 days off.  Is this recommended.  I read some of bruce lee's stuff and he mentions about anything over 1 day decreasing your cardio conditioning and possibly strength.  Admittedly by a very small amount but if your trying to break a barrier...

2010-04-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2826014

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
jonmetz - 2010-04-29 1:19 PM
se7930 - 2010-04-29 9:16 AM

Thanks

Descend means the last set is faster than the first. So in this case you will do the first set slow and work up to fast by the fifth set. Do the sixth set is slow again (like the first set) and work up to fast by the tenth set (like the fifth set). I hope that makes sense!

Yep, makes perfect sense .. thanks!
2010-04-29 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2826062

User image

Master
mponder - 2010-04-29 2:30 PM I have a recovery week question. I suppose it differs from person to person. I took Monday and Tuesday off completely this week but went for an easy ride yesterday with some friends who are new to riding (roughly 20 miles, took an hour and 20 mins ) and I'm planning on an easy swim tonight, maybe just 25-30 mins. Is this okay? I've read in a few articles that it's okay to do this, just wondering what anyone hear thought about it.

This recovery week is due to my first Olympic race. My body isn't sore at all so I want to get back into it.
Recovery is very important. Two full day off after an Olympic distance should be enough. Ease back into it and listen to your body. It sounds like you are on track.
2010-04-29 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2826153

User image

Master
mcox06 - 2010-04-29 2:53 PM I have a followup question on the recovery.  I noticed a few people mention taking 2 days off.  Is this recommended.  I read some of bruce lee's stuff and he mentions about anything over 1 day decreasing your cardio conditioning and possibly strength.  Admittedly by a very small amount but if your trying to break a barrier...
There is recovery (doing nothing) and active recovery. I give my athletes one day off per week. However, some days are active recovery days (i.e. bike in HR zone 1-2, easy swim, etc.) Some weeks are also recovery weeks (i.e. lower intensity and/or lower volume) This training technique is called periodization. We will also adjust the athletes nutritional intake to match the type of training.
2010-04-29 5:32 PM

jonmetz:  i just looked at your training log and wow.  I'm curious how many calories you eat a day. 4-5k?
2010-04-29 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2827149

User image

Master
mcox06 - 2010-04-29 6:32 PM jonmetz:  i just looked at your training log and wow.  I'm curious how many calories you eat a day. 4-5k?
I don't count calories. I do however, adjust my food intake to support my body’s energy needs associated with the different training volume and intensity throughout the training year. Depending the the phase of training, I will adjust the amount of: Lean Protein and Healthy Fats; Fruits and Vegetables; Whole Grains; and Sports Nutrition Products.

2010-04-30 7:11 AM

I understand just figured you have to eat a ton of food on days where you work out 3 times a day for around an hour each at the pace you do work. 

I had my swimming coach this morning and it has helped a lot and given me some insight on things I need to be working on in the pool.  Now I just need some pool time.  I think i'm going to up the amount of swims to 4 or 5 but the additional swims will be recovery in nature just working on my form.  I haven't felt as sore doing this training as I was during my regular strength and conditioning.
2010-04-30 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

lets talk wetsuits for a minute.. Just got mine the other day and plan on an open water swim this weekend to get used to swimming in the suit. Question for all you experienced Tri people is:

What is the easiest way to get them on and off. What sprays, lotions, etc do you use and how, to make these come off and on a little easier?

thanks!

2010-04-30 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2828057

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-30 10:11 AM

lets talk wetsuits for a minute.. Just got mine the other day and plan on an open water swim this weekend to get used to swimming in the suit. Question for all you experienced Tri people is:

What is the easiest way to get them on and off. What sprays, lotions, etc do you use and how, to make these come off and on a little easier?

thanks!

One of my favorite subjects. I just did a wetsuit mini-clinic last night to kick off my wetsuit sale!

Use a wetsuit lubricant to speed the removal of the wetsuit in the transition area, make sure you are using non-petroleum product like Bodyglide. Wear socks or put plastic bags over your feet when you put on your wetsuit. This helps your feet slide through the legs and will prevent the legs from getting stretched out or your toenails from tearing the neoprene.

Pull the bottom of the wetsuit on like a pair of running tights, gently tugging the legs up while being careful not to tear the surface with your fingernails. Pull the wetsuit up high on your legs and snug against your crotch. If the crotch area is not snug it will cause the top of the wetsuit to fit poorly, thus affecting breathing and stroke. Now, pull up the top of the wetsuit and put your arms through the holes (sleeveless) or into the sleeves (sleeved). On sleeveless wetsuits all you need to do is pull the torso up, over your abdominal area, and zip it up (or have it zipped up for you).

Wetsuits with sleeves require the arms to be pulled on. Carefully pull the sleeves all the way up your arms. There should not be a gap between the neoprene and your armpit when you raise your arms over your head. If there is a gap, the arms are not pulled up high enough. When the wetsuit is on correctly, there may be a little wrinkle of neoprene on top of your shoulder.

Getting it off is much easier. Some races have wetsuit strippers. If this is the case, unzip your wetsuit as you are coming out of the water and remove the top half and let it drape over your waist. Once you reach the strippers, just sit down and lift up your legs and the strippers will take care of the rest. I typically look for the 2 biggest guys I can find to tear off my suit.

If you have to remove the wetsuit yourself do the same as you are leaving the water. Once you get into T1 pull the wetsuit down as far as possible and then in one quick motion pull your leg up and kick out. Use your free leg (the one you just kicked out) to step on the wetsuit and do the same pull/kick motion with the other leg. As with anything else it takes practice to get your leg out with one pull/kick.

Another trick (if you have sleeves) is to take off your cap and goggles first and hold them in your hand as you remove your arm from the sleeve. As you pull your arm out let the cap and goggles get trapped in the sleeve. This way you will know where they will be at the end of the race.
2010-04-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2828119

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
jonmetz - 2010-04-30 9:30 AM

thanks!

One of my favorite subjects. I just did a wetsuit mini-clinic last night to kick off my wetsuit sale!

Use a wetsuit lubricant to speed the removal of the wetsuit in the transition area, make sure you are using non-petroleum product like Bodyglide. Wear socks or put plastic bags over your feet when you put on your wetsuit. This helps your feet slide through the legs and will prevent the legs from getting stretched out or your toenails from tearing the neoprene.

Pull the bottom of the wetsuit on like a pair of running tights, gently tugging the legs up while being careful not to tear the surface with your fingernails. Pull the wetsuit up high on your legs and snug against your crotch. If the crotch area is not snug it will cause the top of the wetsuit to fit poorly, thus affecting breathing and stroke. Now, pull up the top of the wetsuit and put your arms through the holes (sleeveless) or into the sleeves (sleeved). On sleeveless wetsuits all you need to do is pull the torso up, over your abdominal area, and zip it up (or have it zipped up for you).

Wetsuits with sleeves require the arms to be pulled on. Carefully pull the sleeves all the way up your arms. There should not be a gap between the neoprene and your armpit when you raise your arms over your head. If there is a gap, the arms are not pulled up high enough. When the wetsuit is on correctly, there may be a little wrinkle of neoprene on top of your shoulder.

Getting it off is much easier. Some races have wetsuit strippers. If this is the case, unzip your wetsuit as you are coming out of the water and remove the top half and let it drape over your waist. Once you reach the strippers, just sit down and lift up your legs and the strippers will take care of the rest. I typically look for the 2 biggest guys I can find to tear off my suit.

If you have to remove the wetsuit yourself do the same as you are leaving the water. Once you get into T1 pull the wetsuit down as far as possible and then in one quick motion pull your leg up and kick out. Use your free leg (the one you just kicked out) to step on the wetsuit and do the same pull/kick motion with the other leg. As with anything else it takes practice to get your leg out with one pull/kick.

Another trick (if you have sleeves) is to take off your cap and goggles first and hold them in your hand as you remove your arm from the sleeve. As you pull your arm out let the cap and goggles get trapped in the sleeve. This way you will know where they will be at the end of the race.

Do you just use the body glide around your ankles and lower portion of calves? or all the way up to your tri pants?
2010-04-30 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2828164

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-30 10:43 AM
jonmetz - 2010-04-30 9:30 AM

thanks!

Do you just use the body glide around your ankles and lower portion of calves? or all the way up to your tri pants?
Personal preference...Some people will tell you to put it anywhere chafing might occur. I guess you can't have to much bodyglide. Ankles, calves, neck line, wrists are good places to start. Test out your new suit a few times and you will quickly find the areas of friction.

2010-05-01 6:28 PM

User image

St. Louis
We're getting towards the bottom again... The active.com group on facebook usually posts a question during the weekend, "what have you done active this weekend?" So, what have you done so far this weekend? 

I went for a 27m ride this morning then a 1300y swim. I'm heading out to LA to visit some friends in 2 weeks and few of us are running the Santa Monica 5k - I haven't done a 5k race in a long time, should be fun!
2010-05-02 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2830615

User image

Master
I think (hope) our group is quiet because everyone is out training!
2010-05-02 8:29 AM

I did a new workout called walk, run, press...completely non tri training but I had to give it a try after seeing it.  Involves a 400m track, walk 1 lap around carrying a 80lb-100lb sandbag, then run a lap as fast as possible, then press the sandbag 10 times.  Do this for 3 sets for time= all kinds of sore today.  My timer broke during the middle so I don't have a baseline.  Today I'm going for a 50 min run and tomorrow is my off day.
2010-05-03 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

this weekend, I did a long run (for me thats about 7-8 miles) then on Sunday I did 28 miles on the bike ... legs were a little weak this morning in the pool but I was able to get 1500 in this morning before heading off to work. The 200 kick in the warmup didnt feel to good, but once I got into my comfort zone, I felt pretty good being able to get all 1500 in today ... now just a 40 minute run this afternoon after work and I can call it a day!

Edited by se7930 2010-05-03 8:56 AM
2010-05-05 9:53 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Morning all...I have been slacking but will be getting back at it as soon as my life slows down a bit....wait...could that actually happen?

2010-05-05 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Ha, I was about to move this back up the board and Amy beat me to it !! LOL ...

midway through the first week of my 26 week HIM training schedule. Legs are feeling the bike work and run work the last 3 days, but only a swim today and then a bike tomorrow afternoon before the long run scheduled for Friday. Also, have a B group ride scheduled for this Saturday and an off day on Sunday (definitely looking forward to that).

Next Weekend I have my 2nd sprint race 800 yrd OWS, 16 mile bike and 5K run ... very excited about this one as it will be my first OWS ... Any suggestions on how not to get kicked in the face on the swim are appreciated! I cant decide if I should just stay in the back of the pack and let it sort out before pushing. I am a middle of the road swimmer (not too fast and not too slow) but I dont necessarily want to be in the middle of the washing machine my first time out
2010-05-05 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2838323

User image

Master
Here is a short video to get you all motivated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woBlfEF8SGQ

Happy Training!
2010-05-05 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2838758

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

jonmetz - 2010-05-05 12:05 PM Here is a short video to get you all motivated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woBlfEF8SGQ

Happy Training!

Thanks Jon...I know that one is from your blog.  I have watched it more than a dozen times.  And it ALWAYS gets me motivated.  Thanks... Great pic of you at the end!

2010-05-06 6:21 AM

So i normally have a hr 42-44 upon waking in the morning but today it was 52.  I am very sore in the legs from my swim and bike ride yesterday.  I want to go run like the schedule says but I've had minor overtraining in the past and everything is setting up the same...or is it just my mind?  I have exams starting this weekend and this is the exact same scenario last time it started along with the elevated hr.  I'm taking today off just as precaution.  Do you think this is correct or am I just psyching myself out?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jon Metz's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9