Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-10-06 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3136327

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group
KOM - 2010-10-06 10:08 AM Last week ended up as a not great swimming week.  Had to cut 1 swim due short due to cramping.  This is always an issue for me.  My feet cramp easily and I usually just keep going and change strokes as the breaststroke kick seems to lessen the cramps.  On Saturday I ran before I swam and after about 600 yds had cramping in my quads. I can only pull my legs into my chest and float on my back when this happens and they take forever to stop.  I have also gotten quad cramps if I ride long before I swim. (Made for 1 scary OWS the first time it happened) On Sunday I had a great run and did a little speed work so that might have just caused some muscle fatigue that set me up for problems on the swim.  In any case I am repeating month 1 week 4 this week.

Any thoughts on how to prevent foot and leg cramps while swimming?  I've tried Magnesium at night and try to maintain hydration but maybe not as much as I should. 

Foot cramps are generally due to inflexibility. You get told "You need to point your toes", and the only way to do that is to pull more with the calf and "scrunch" with the foot muscles. Work on increasing your ankle extension flexibility and the foot cramps will lessen. The way I do this is to tuck my feet under me, tops of the feet flat on the floor, and then kneel.

Quad cramps are probably a combination of a couple things - One, not enough recovery between efforts, and two, a kick that comes from the knees and not the hips. On days where you are going to have double workouts, see if swimming first (if possible) lessens the incidence of quad cramping, and work on technique for the kick as well.

John

2010-10-06 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3136423

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
tkd.teacher - 2010-10-06 1:39 PM
KOM - 2010-10-06 10:08 AM Last week ended up as a not great swimming week.  Had to cut 1 swim due short due to cramping.  This is always an issue for me.  My feet cramp easily and I usually just keep going and change strokes as the breaststroke kick seems to lessen the cramps.  On Saturday I ran before I swam and after about 600 yds had cramping in my quads. I can only pull my legs into my chest and float on my back when this happens and they take forever to stop.  I have also gotten quad cramps if I ride long before I swim. (Made for 1 scary OWS the first time it happened) On Sunday I had a great run and did a little speed work so that might have just caused some muscle fatigue that set me up for problems on the swim.  In any case I am repeating month 1 week 4 this week.

Any thoughts on how to prevent foot and leg cramps while swimming?  I've tried Magnesium at night and try to maintain hydration but maybe not as much as I should. 

Foot cramps are generally due to inflexibility. You get told "You need to point your toes", and the only way to do that is to pull more with the calf and "scrunch" with the foot muscles. Work on increasing your ankle extension flexibility and the foot cramps will lessen. The way I do this is to tuck my feet under me, tops of the feet flat on the floor, and then kneel.

Quad cramps are probably a combination of a couple things - One, not enough recovery between efforts, and two, a kick that comes from the knees and not the hips. On days where you are going to have double workouts, see if swimming first (if possible) lessens the incidence of quad cramping, and work on technique for the kick as well.

John

I totally agree on the quad cramp issue.  Unfortunately I like to swim after the other workouts but will need to space them out or switch the order. 

As for the foot cramps I actually tend to have hyper mobile joints and could sit with the tops of my feet on the floor for hours.  I try to keep my feet "relaxed" while I swim and not overly hyperextended.  Any other suggestions?  Should I try to strengthen?  Maybe the old scrunge a towel or trace the alphabet stuff?

Edited by KOM 2010-10-06 6:47 PM
2010-10-07 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3052877

New user

I am a seasoned (48 years old) duathlete (long and short courses), runner, and have done run and bike portions of triathlon relay teams.

I’ve not competed in a triathlon as an individual, yet. Right now I can swim from one end of the pool to the other (25m) and then have to catch my breath.

Now I am taking the plunge. I am going to do triathlons in 2011.

I’ve been training (bike and run) with triathlon clubs for a couple fo years and have recently taken a few swim lessons. Strap a scuba tank on my back and I can be in the water all day – I just can’t get this breathing thing down

I find it very difficult to get enough air. I need help.

I too hope some of you have good tips on how to become a better swimmer, and how I can actually compete in a triathlon.

My goal is a HIM next summer.

2010-10-07 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3137985

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Seabright - 2010-10-07 9:14 AM

I am a seasoned (48 years old) duathlete (long and short courses), runner, and have done run and bike portions of triathlon relay teams.

I’ve not competed in a triathlon as an individual, yet. Right now I can swim from one end of the pool to the other (25m) and then have to catch my breath.

Now I am taking the plunge. I am going to do triathlons in 2011.

I’ve been training (bike and run) with triathlon clubs for a couple fo years and have recently taken a few swim lessons. Strap a scuba tank on my back and I can be in the water all day – I just can’t get this breathing thing down

I find it very difficult to get enough air. I need help.

I too hope some of you have good tips on how to become a better swimmer, and how I can actually compete in a triathlon.

My goal is a HIM next summer.

How cool! I love that you are taking on this challenge! Are you going to follow the "learn to swim" program? I think you are on the right track with the swim lessons.
2010-10-07 9:49 AM

New user

I'll try the program.
I'm not sure where else to turn at this point.
2010-10-07 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3138101

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Seabright - 2010-10-07 7:49 AM I'll try the program.
I'm not sure where else to turn at this point.

Definitely get with an instructor, and if that isn't possible, total immersion and other learn to swim videos on youtube are great resources.

If it is possible, you could have someone film your stroke, post it and give us a link, and we can at least give you some pointers. If you scuba a lot, then you might even have resources available to get both above water and underwater footage. Some angles swimming directly toward and away from the camera along with above water shots would be absolutely ideal.

As odd as it might sound, when you swim without the tank, do you hold your breath when your face is in the water? That's a common "oops" among new swimmers.

John

2010-10-09 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Can you explain this workout in Week 2, Workout 1?

• 6x50 (25 kick/25 swim)
    With :30 seconds rest between each 50
 Will this mean I need 6 kickboards at the end of the pool?

Should I alternate kick/swim, then swim/kick?

Thanks. 
2010-10-09 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3142639

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
christiekate - 2010-10-09 11:46 AM Can you explain this workout in Week 2, Workout 1?

• 6x50 (25 kick/25 swim)

Thanks. 

That's what I've been doing; 25 kick/25 swim; rest; 25 swim/25 kick. 
2010-10-09 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3142692

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
betyoursilver - 2010-10-09 3:34 PM
christiekate - 2010-10-09 11:46 AM Can you explain this workout in Week 2, Workout 1?

• 6x50 (25 kick/25 swim)

Thanks. 

That's what I've been doing; 25 kick/25 swim; rest; 25 swim/25 kick. 
I have done that and also do some kick laps floating on my back with arms extended overhead....mostly when the stupid board is at the other end of the pool!
2010-10-09 4:53 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Well it took longer than a month but I am finally at month 2!!  Progress  >( (  ">
2010-10-11 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3142852

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KOM - 2010-10-09 4:53 PM Well it took longer than a month but I am finally at month 2!!  Progress  >( (  ">

Yay!

2010-10-12 1:10 PM

User image

Northern CA
I decided to stop lurking and post here. I'm new to tri's plan to do my first in 2011. I've been running for 4+ years. My husband and I are both following the Learn to Swim program.

As I'm concentrating on running right now (training for a HM) I'm only able to fit in two swims per week. I figure I'll just follow the Learn to Swim program and do it for as long as it takes. I've done a few work outs so far and I'm really liking it. I was just swimming laps before, and it really helps to orgainize it. I have no formal swimming experience so all the tips have been great. My husband has more swim experience but he's been on a long hiatus from it. He has found the program helpful for getting back into it.

I'm not afraid of the water and have no trouble with the breathing. It's the form that I'm really trying to work on.
2010-10-12 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3147628

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
KimT72 - 2010-10-12 2:10 PM I decided to stop lurking and post here. I'm new to tri's plan to do my first in 2011. I've been running for 4+ years. My husband and I are both following the Learn to Swim program.

As I'm concentrating on running right now (training for a HM) I'm only able to fit in two swims per week. I figure I'll just follow the Learn to Swim program and do it for as long as it takes. I've done a few work outs so far and I'm really liking it. I was just swimming laps before, and it really helps to orgainize it. I have no formal swimming experience so all the tips have been great. My husband has more swim experience but he's been on a long hiatus from it. He has found the program helpful for getting back into it.

I'm not afraid of the water and have no trouble with the breathing. It's the form that I'm really trying to work on.
Welcome!! Thanks for posting.  It's nice to have more folks to share the training with. 

Finished my 1st 1000 yd workout yesterday.  Went well.  I am pushing myself to not use breaststroke except 1 -2 lengths during warm up and cool down. So far the program has really helped......except I did sneak in 1 lap during the 300 we had to do in week 4 of month 1.
2010-10-12 11:34 PM
in reply to: #3148312

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Will do Month 1, Week 1, Swim 3 tomorrow. So far, so good.

Decided to finish my triathlon season and do as much OWS as I could vs. pool time, and it paid off. My OWS on the Carp Tri I actually swam a portion, instead of spending the entire swim with my head up gasping for breath.   So it felt good, and it came from just getting in the ocean and swimming with friends.

So here we go!  I am "behind" the calendar in the program, but I will work the entire thing.  I am slow swimmer. I see you guys posting your 100 yard times and I am at around 3:00 for 100 yds.  So you all inspire me

Namaste,
Pamela Cool
2010-10-12 11:50 PM
in reply to: #3120488

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

When you breath, do you ever hold your breath at all? You should never be holding your breath while swimming (With the exception being in the middle of a flip turn, even then I'm breathing out fairly soon after I turn).

Holding your breath then trying to exhale/inhale in that short time your arm is coming around is a guaranteed way to get short of breath in a very quick time.

John

Yes...I am trying to swim with a breath every third stroke (alternating sides) but as I tire, it's getter harding to go three strokes without a breath, so I end up going back to breathing every second stroke. I start out great (breath after 4-5 strokes, then 3, then get tired and every two.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Pamela Cool
2010-10-13 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3147628

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KimT72 - 2010-10-12 1:10 PM I decided to stop lurking and post here. I'm new to tri's plan to do my first in 2011. I've been running for 4+ years. My husband and I are both following the Learn to Swim program.

Hooray for the end of lurking! I am glad you are enjoying the program so far and I look forward to hearing about your progress!

2010-10-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3148312

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KOM - 2010-10-12 5:52 PM
KimT72 - 2010-10-12 2:10 PM I decided to stop lurking and post here. I'm new to tri's plan to do my first in 2011. I've been running for 4+ years. My husband and I are both following the Learn to Swim program.

Welcome!! Thanks for posting.  It's nice to have more folks to share the training with. 

Finished my 1st 1000 yd workout yesterday.  Went well.  I am pushing myself to not use breaststroke except 1 -2 lengths during warm up and cool down. So far the program has really helped......except I did sneak in 1 lap during the 300 we had to do in week 4 of month 1.

How exciting! You are doing really well!
2010-10-13 1:40 PM

Cinnaminson, NJ
well I decided to devote myself to swim improvement this winter --- I survived the swim in 3 sprint tri's last summer but I want to learn how to swim so I can eventually get good at it.

anyway, I'm struggling bigtime with the freestyle swim / face down / breathing stuff.  

I'm wondering if its better to just really focus on and solve that problem and get to the point where I can atleast do 50-100M freestyle (without being out of breath)  and not even continue with this program???  I mean I can swim 400-500 m non-stop and do the program but I have to rely on mixed strokes and wind up doing the crawl / back stroke way more than freestyle swim. 

I have to learn to freestyle properly in order to really be able to compete in triathlon. 

any suggestions??
2010-10-13 3:00 PM

User image

Northern CA
I swam month 1, week 1, workout 3 last night. Went pretty well. I have to get over my fear of swimming with other people. I shared a lane again since the pool was somewhat crowded. It worked out fine. I had to keep reminding myself that I was swimming my own program and not worry what others were doing.

So what am I supposed to do with my head during the kickboard part? Is it best to look ahead or to kick with head down, breathe to the side or to the front?

2010-10-13 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3150035

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
pesposit - 2010-10-13 2:40 PM well I decided to devote myself to swim improvement this winter --- I survived the swim in 3 sprint tri's last summer but I want to learn how to swim so I can eventually get good at it.

anyway, I'm struggling bigtime with the freestyle swim / face down / breathing stuff.  

I'm wondering if its better to just really focus on and solve that problem and get to the point where I can atleast do 50-100M freestyle (without being out of breath)  and not even continue with this program???  I mean I can swim 400-500 m non-stop and do the program but I have to rely on mixed strokes and wind up doing the crawl / back stroke way more than freestyle swim. 

I have to learn to freestyle properly in order to really be able to compete in triathlon. 

any suggestions??
I would continue with the program and use freestyle.  Make the rest intervals longer if you need to.  It will get more comfortable and you will get stronger.  The other thing that helped me was doing super slow laps of pull only.  I focused on a long glide and slow arm turnover.  That and no kicking means I don't get as breathless and feel more comfortable in the water.  I still fall back to it in a race when I am feeling panicky and short of breath..
2010-10-14 10:00 AM

Cinnaminson, NJ

KOM -- Thanks.

maybe that is the way to go.  I'm really want to get over this hump and learn to freestyle / breath properly.  I probably should just take a few lessons but I'm avoiding it for the cost -- but it may really be worth it. 

I almost want to swim everyday a little bit but I'm afraid I'll get more burnout than anything and I'll let my other things go (running/cycling), I'm just so eager to learn and then be able to train properly. 

2010-10-14 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3151780

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
pesposit - 2010-10-14 8:00 AM

KOM -- Thanks.

maybe that is the way to go.  I'm really want to get over this hump and learn to freestyle / breath properly.  I probably should just take a few lessons but I'm avoiding it for the cost -- but it may really be worth it. 

I almost want to swim everyday a little bit but I'm afraid I'll get more burnout than anything and I'll let my other things go (running/cycling), I'm just so eager to learn and then be able to train properly. 

ESPECIALLY if you are a brand new, learning to swim person, lessons are the best return on $$ investment out there.

Basic breathing progression-

1. Stand in waist deep water, bend over and put your face in the water, arms extended so they rest on the pool edge. Breath out, turn your head only (Your shoulders will turn a bit naturally) and breath in. Lather rinse repeat.
2. Do #1, but this time, with your arms out holding a kickboard as you move down the pool. Breath out underwater, turn head only and breath in. Lather rinse repeat.
3. Do #2, but this time add arm pulls. Still pull and return the hand to the kickboard, but get used to the arm pull motion. When you breath now, do it as you "normally" would if you were swimming.

But yes, a few lessons can be golden. An instructor (not necessarily a coach, they have different roles) can actually look at you and say "Oh, you're doing this with your legs. Stop it."

Many Y and community pools have group lesson environments that are rarely more than 6 or 7 people per instructor that are pretty easy on the wallet.

John
2010-10-16 12:48 PM

Lexington, KY

Not sure where to start.  42 year old non-swimmer (former Marine and scuba diver to include overhead environment).  I am currently taking swim lessons at a Tri shop here in town.  Have taken 4 so far and still can't swim 25 meters!!!!!!!!!  (The most I have ever been able to swim freestyle continuously was about 60 meters, that was a couple of years ago).  Working on breathing drills 2-3 times between lessons.  The goal is to travel back to Parris Island for the sprint tri there in March.  The swim (pool) will be 500 yards/meters.  Is this possible at this point?  Everybody  says "don't worry about it, it will click and you will be fine". 

Completed a duathlon and a 10K this past year, but really want to participate in triathlons.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Clyde Guy

2010-10-17 3:51 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
When learning to swim, has anyone had issues with fatigue?  I am current experiencing round 2 which is forcing me to take 2-3 days off, and to sleep a lot.  As if on a cycle, after about 4 weeks of consistent swimming - in this case, following month 1 of the learn to swim series - I found myself struggling to finish week 3, w/o # 3.  I experienced the fatigue back in Sept too, and I found that 3 solid days off from all training & tons of sleep, followed by cutting back on the # of days in the pool helped a lot.  when I returned to the pool I definitely felt stronger.   However, by Thursday of this week, the feeling of exhaustion hit me again.  Yesterday, I slept 2 hours in the afternoon, and another 9 hours last night.  Right now, I feel like I could hit the sack and sleep until tomorow AM.   Strangely, I can run and bike all day long, but when I add swimming to the picture, I find it's a different situation for me.

Edited by betyoursilver 2010-10-17 3:53 PM
2010-10-18 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3155772

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Clyde Guy - 2010-10-16 12:48 PM

Not sure where to start.  42 year old non-swimmer (former Marine and scuba diver to include overhead environment).  I am currently taking swim lessons at a Tri shop here in town.  Have taken 4 so far and still can't swim 25 meters!!!!!!!!!  (The most I have ever been able to swim freestyle continuously was about 60 meters, that was a couple of years ago).  Working on breathing drills 2-3 times between lessons.  The goal is to travel back to Parris Island for the sprint tri there in March.  The swim (pool) will be 500 yards/meters.  Is this possible at this point?  Everybody  says "don't worry about it, it will click and you will be fine". 

Completed a duathlon and a 10K this past year, but really want to participate in triathlons.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Clyde Guy

Yes, you can do this! Do not give up. You are starting form scratch with the lessons which is good, it will just take some time to put it all together.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16